Clark County Illinois
Adenmoor - Auburn Township
is situated on the north edge of Section 36, Auburn Township. It is located about ¾ miles north of The National Road (U.S. Route 40), along the Vandalia-Pennsylvania Railroad, about 7 miles northeast of Martinsville and about 5 miles southwest of Marshall. It formerly known as Adenmore Station.
Allright - Anderson Township
Allright, also known as Albright, is near the northwest corner of section 28, Anderson Township.
A Post office was established at Albright on Mar. 10, 1892. It was discontinued on July 15, 1908.
Aurora - Darwin Township
was a former settlement on the Wabash River about two miles north of Darwin in Darwin Township. It was the site of the first courthouse and county seat of Clark County. Aurora was the County Seat from 1821 to 1823.
Beltz - Darwin Township
is situated in the northwest corner of section 10, Darwin Township.
It was named for Amos Jonas Beltz.
A Post office was established at Beltz on May 29, 1893. It was discontinued July 31, 1903.
Brisco - Parker Township
is a settlement on the north edge of section 32, Parker Township. It is located just west of route 49, about 4 miles north of Casey.
Careyford - Marshall Township
is a former village in Marshall Township at the border of what is now Auburn Township, about 1 mile east of Clark Center and about 4 miles southwest of Marshall on route 40. It was named for Thomas Carey who founded the village.
Casey - Casey Township
is situated in the west half and the northeast quarter of section 20, and the east half of section 19 in Casey Township at the intersection of The National Road (U.S. route 40) and route 49 on the eastern edge of the county near the Cumberland County line. The original town was first platted in 1851 and surveyed in 1853 by D. R. Heimer. It took its namr from the Post Office west of Cumberland, established, on August 28, 1849, named for Zadoc Casey, U.S. Senator from Illinois and former Lieutenant Governor. It was first settled about 1853 by John Lang, a Scottsman, who built the National House Hotel. and Casey was located on the Vandalia-Pennsylvania railroad.
Castle Fin - Douglas Township
Castle Fin, also known as Castle Finn and Fin Castle, was founded by Robert Wilson and platted in May 1848 by County Surveyor James Lawrence. The village was named for Wilson's home town of Castle Finn, County Donegal, Ireland. It was located in the northwest corner of section 27, Douglas Township, about 6 miles north-northwest of Marshall.
Clark Center (Auburn)
Clark Center, formerly known as Auburn, Lodi, and Clark Centre, is located on the south half of the northwest quarter and part of the north half of the southwest quarter of Section 37, Auburn Township. It lies just north of The National Road (Route 40), about 7 miles northeast of Martinsville and about 5 miles southwest of Marshall.
A Post office was established at Lodi on Oct. 15, 1842. The name was changed to Clark Centre on May 21, 1857 and to Clark Center on Oct. 25, 1893. It was discontinued on June 15, 1907.
Clarksville - Dolson Township
Clarksville, also known as Dolson, is located approximately 10 mile east of Westfield and 7 miles northwest of Marshall on Clarksville road.
It is surrounded by the Dolson Prairie, named after early settlers of the Dolson Family.
A post office was established at Dolson on Feb. 15, 1851. It was changed to Clarksville on Aug. 27, 1861 and back to Dolson on April 2, 1862. The P.O. was discontinued Feb. 15, 1907. The town is now known again as Clarksville.
Cleone - Parker Township
Cleone, also known as 'Hammond Settlement' and 'Hammond Center' in times past was a thriving rural community at the turn of the century. There was a grocery store, a farm supply business, a post office, newspaper, etc. They even had a baseball team.*
As Martinsville and the surrounding communities grew larger, small settlements like Cleone were unable to compete with the larger stores and variety of goods and services offered, and slowly vanished. In the late 40's and early 50's, all that remained at Cleone were a couple of houses and a general store operated by a gentleman named 'Comer'. All that is gone now and all that remains is the cemetery.
Cleone is situated in the northeast of section 12, Parker Township.
It lies about 6 miles north of Martinsville along Cleone Road
A Post office was established at Cleone on March 4, 1886. It was discontinued on August 15, 1906.
[* Larry Wells writes, "I recall seeing a copy of the newspaper from 1906 where Cleone played Casey (at Cleone) and Casey won... The paper listed the names of all who were there that day (a LOT of Hammonds) and commented that the other news of the day was: 'One auto through today.' "]
Cumberland - Casey Township
Cumberland is a former settlement in Casey Township.
A Post Office, named after Zadoc Casey, was established at Cumberland on March 27, 1838. It was discontinued on Aug. 19, 1847.
Cumberland is now part of the city of Casey.
Darwin - Darwin Township
Darwin is the second oldest settlement in Clark county. It is situated in the northeast corner of section 27, Darwin Township, on the Wabash River. The site was first settled by John McClure in 1816 and was known then as McClure's Bluff. The Darwin ferry was started early on by McClure for use by farmers who owned properties across the river. It is still in operation today.
A post office was established on Aug. 17, 1920. Darwin was the County Seat from 1823 to 1839 when it was removed to Marshall. Darwin was also known as Clark Courthouse until Nov. 8, 1836.
Dennison - Wabash Township
is a village situated on the north edge of section 26 of upper Wabash Township. It is about 7 miles northeast of Marshall just north of the Pennsylvania R. R.
The village was founded by J. F. Barnard, who was extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber and wagon woodwork, having at that time several mills along the line of the Vandalia railroad, which was at that time in the course of construction, by locating one of his factories at that point.*
The village was laid out in 1871 by Lyman Booth, on the northwest quarter of section 26, township 12, range 11 west**
A Post Office was established at Dennison on July 27,1871.
[*History of Vigo and Parke Counties,, H. W. Beckwith, 1880.
**W. H. Perrin, History of Crawford and Clark Counties, O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883]
Doyles - Dolson Township
is located near the Edgar County line in section 20 of Dolson Township.
A post office was established at Doyles on March 30, 1894. It was discontinued March 31, 1893.
Dupoint - Dolson Township
Dupoint, also known as Dupont, is a village situated on the northeast quarter of section 14 of Casey Township. It is located about 4 miles northeast of Casey, and about 2 miles southwest of Martinsville, along The National Road (Route 40) and the Vandalia-Pennsylvania railroad..
Ernst - Darwin Township
is a village situated on the northeast quarter of section 18 of Darwin Township. It lies about 4 miles south of Marshall, 2 1/2 miles north of Hatton, east of route 1, on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad.
A post office was established at Ernst on Oct. 29, 1885. It was discontinued on Oct. 15, 1926
Hatton (Snyder) - Darwin Township
Hatton, also known as Snyder, is located on the west edge of section 30 in Darwin Township. It lies about 8 miles south of Marshall, 2 ½ miles south of Ernst, and 3 miles north of Walnut Prairie, just east of route 1 on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (New York Central), and about 3 miles west of Darwin.
A Post office was established at Hatton on Mar. 7, 1882. It was named by Postmaster John Milton Hollenbeck for Assistant Postmaster-General McHatton. It was discontinued April 2, 1906.
Lindsey - Orange Township
is located in the northwest corner of section 2 in Orange Township. It lies about 5 miles southeast of Martinsville. It was named for Zachary T. Lindsey. A Post Office operated at Lindsey from March 31, 1894 until March 31, 1903.
Livingston (Cohn) - Wabash Township
is a village on the southwest quarter of section 9 in Upper Wabash Township about 2 miles northeast of Marshall on route 40 (The Old National Road). The village was laid out by Robert Ferguson in 1830 on land purchased from the federal government. Early businesses included a hotel built by David Wyrick, a grocery, a tavern and a stagecoach shop. A Post Office operated at Livingston from August 24, 1832 until July 31, 1903. Its name was change to Cohn on April 5, 1880 and later back to Livingston. Several blows were dealt the village over the years which led to its decline. The railroad was diverted several miles to the north of town due to land donations. A cyclone devastated the town during the Civil War. The town was all but destroyed by the cyclone of May 26, 1917.
Margaretta (Richwood) - Westfield Township
was located east of Westfield on what is now the Lincoln Heritage Trail, It was named for Margaret, wife of the Postmaster, William B. Marrs. (Illinois State Historical Marker, Margaretta Post Office)
A post office was established at Margartta June 16, 1840. Its name was changed to Richwood on August 27, 1861. It was discontinued on June 26, 1863.
Marshall - Marshall Township
is located on the western edge of Marshall Township. It was founded on September 20, 1835 by Colonel W. B. Archer on land owned by Joseph Duncan and himself who had purchased it from the federal government. It was named after John Marshall, 4th Chief Justice of the U. S. Supreme Court. The plat was filed in October, 1835. It was located at the intersection of the National Road (U.S. route 40) and the and the Vincennes and Chicago State Road (route 1). The National Road began to be built through the site of Marshall in 1827 and many came for the construction work there. The first settlement on the site was made in 1836. The County Seat of Clark County was moved from Darwin to Marshall in 1839 where it remains to the present day.
During the Civil War, a group of Copperheads, who opposed the Civil War, provided protection for deserters from the Union Army. In March, 1863, an Army detail from Indiana arrested several of the soldiers. Judge Charles H. Constable freed them and ordered the arrest of two Union sergeants on kidnapping charges. This resulted in the dispatch of 250 soldiers under the command of Col. Henry B. Carrington by special train from Indianapolis, who surrounded the courthouse, freed the sergeants and arrested the Judge. Judge Constable was, however, later acquitted after presenting an elaborate defense
Abraham Lincoln practiced law several times at Marshall.
The Archer House, located in downtown Marshall claims to the the oldest continually operated hotel in Illinois.
Martinsville - Martinsville Township
is situated on parts of the east half of section 7 and the west half of section 8 and the southeast quarter of section 6 and the southwest quarter of section 5 of Martinsville Township. It is located about 12 miles southwest Marshall and 6 mile northeast of Casey, along route 40 and the Vandalia-Pennsylvania Railroad. The first settlement on the present site of the city was made in about 1829. Martinsville was founded in 1832 by Joseph Martin who came to the area in that year and purchased land. The village was platted in 1833. Martin named it after himself. Businesses sprang up along the Old National Road (Route 40). Martin built the first hotel. Willis Daughette built the Rocky Mountain House in 1840
McKeen - Wabash Township
McKeen is a village on the north edge of section 27 of upper Wabash Township. It lies about 6 miles northeast of Marshall along the Vandalia-Pennsylvania R. R. It was named for Ninevah McKeen, a civil war veteran, and the only person from Clark County to receive the Medal of Honor. A post office was established at McKeen on August 26, 1870 and discontinued on May 14, 1906.
Melrose - Melrose Township
Melrose, formerly known as Melrose Park, is located in Melrose Township at the corner of sections 18, 19, 20 and 21. It received its name from the township, which in turn got its name from an old English village.
A Post Office operated at Melrose from May 6, 1836 to July 26, 1877 and from Oct. 30,1877 to about the 193os. Melrose declined and was virtually abandoned by the1970s and all of the buildings were eventually demolished.
Moonshine - Orange Township
is situated on the southeast corner of section 29 in Orange Township, just east of the Johnson Township line. It lies about 9 miles south of Martinsville at the intersection of N. 600th Street and E. 300th road (county hwy 16). It received its name from the surrounding Moonshine Prairie, allegedly named by settlers in about 1840 when they saw the glistening of the dew upon the prairie grass in the moonlight. A post office was established at Moonshine on Oct 6, 1871 and was discontinued on Aug. 13, 1878.
The original Moonshine store was in the front room of a house owned by William "Billy" Martz, a veteran of the Civil War, located on the south side of the road. It also served as the first local post-office. Sylvester Crandall would bring the mail from Martinsville once a week by horse cart or buggy. A grocery store was built across the road in the late1800s to the north of the present store which was built about 1912. It was converted in 1982 to the Moonshine Store Restaurant.
To get to Moonshine, take Union St. south out of Martinsville, following the road straight for about 9 miles. It will turn into N. Creek Rd. and then N. 600 St.
Photo submitted by Sandy Cirullo and Larry Wells
Moriah - Johnson Township
is located in Johnson Township, near the northwest corner of section 22. It lies about 5 miles south and 3 miles east of Casey, or about 7 miles south and 3 miles west of Martinsville. It was formerly Mt. Moriah. A post office was established at Moriah on June 17, 1893. It was discontinued on April 15, 1915.
Neadmore - Johnson Township
is located the southwest corner of section 4 of Orange Township. It lies about ½ mile east and 5 miles south of Martinsville. A post office was established at Neadmore on March 2, 1887. It was discontinued March 31, 1903.
Oak Point - Johnson Township
is located about 7 miles south of Casey on Route 49, in Johnson Township. A Post Office operated at Oak Point from June 28, 1861 to Feb. 28, 1902.
Oakleaf - Casey Township
is a village situated on the northeast quarter of secton 14 of Casey Township. It is located about 3 miles northeast of Casey, and about 3 miles southwest of Martinsville, along route 40 (National Road) and the Vandalia-Pennsylvania railroad.
Oilfield - Parker Township
is a former village in the northwest quarter of section 20 of Parker Township about 6 miles north of Casey on route 49. It received its name in the early 1860s when several wells drilled in the vicinity produced oil. It has also been known as Oil Fields and Oil City. A post office was established at Oilfield on Feb. 19, 1896. It was discontinued since 1931. About all that remains now of the village is the Oilfield Garage and General Store building on the corner of route 49 and Parker Lane.
Orange - Orange Township
is a village located in the northwest quarter of section 27 of Orange Township. A post office was established at Orange on Sept. 29, 1871. It was discontinued March 31, 1903.
Walnut Prairie - York Township
is situated on the northwest quarter of section 8 and the east edge of the northeast quarter of section 7 in York Township. It is located about 10 miles south of Marshall on the New York Central R. R. east of route 1. The settlement took its name from the Walnut Prairie which was so named by early settlers for the many walnut trees which grew around its edge.
A Post office was established at Walnut Prairie on March 24, 1875. It was discontinued on May 15, 1923.
Weir - Orange Township
was located on the north half of section 1, of Orange Township, near the border with Martinsville Township
It was probably named for the Weir family of early settlers in the Martinsville area.
A Post office was established at Weir on Mar. 2, 1898. It was discontinued on June 30, 1901
Wells - Orange Township
was named for William & Matthew C. Wells.
A Post office was established at Wells on Nov. 6, 1893. It was discontinued on Oct. 31, 1902.
Westfield - Westfield Township
is a village situated on the southwest quarter and the south half of the northwest quarter of section 29, the southeast quarter and the south half of the northeast quarter of section 30, the north half of the northeast quarter of section 31, and the north half of the northwest quarter of section 32 in Westfield Township. It is located in the northwest corner of Clark County near the Coles and Edgar County lines, about 10 miles north of Casey and 10 miles SE or Charleston, on route 49 and the Dayton, Hamilton & Cincinnati R. R. It was platted in 1839 by Colonel Archer.
It received its name from the fact that it lies at the extreme northwest of the County.
A post office was established at Westfield on June 18, 1840. The village was incorporated on Aug. 31, 1875. It was the site of the Westfield College from 1861 to 1914, from which the village received much of its prosperity. In 1900, Westfield had a bank, five churches and two newspapers, and its population was 820.
West Union - York Township
is situated in the northwest corner of section 20 and the northeast corner of section 19 and the southeast corner of section 18 in in York Township. It is located about 12 miles south of Marshall on route 1 and the New York Central R. R.
The settlement took its name from the Union Prairie. It was also known as Union Station
A Post office was established at West Union on June 10, 1868.
York - York Township
is the oldest settlement in the county. It is located in York Township at the southeast corner of the county on the Wabash River. It was first settled in the spring of 1814, while yet part of the Illinois Territory, by Thomas Handy, a native of New York State. One legend says it was named after a family of early settlers, but It most likely took it's name from that state from whence came almost all of the early settlers. It was once a thriving river town. The heyday of "Old York" occurred during the era of the steamboats. It began to decline after 1875 when the Paris-Vincennes Railroad was built about 1 ½ to the west of town. The town of West York, just over the county line in Crawford County , was founded on the railway and soon grew at the expense of Old York.
A post office was established at York on Oct. 9, 1820, at that time part of Crawford County. It was discontinued since 1931.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails