Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led


Clay County

Genealogy and History


Obituaries and Death Notices

Terrence Tate
Casualty List
Xenia, March 6--Notice has been given John B. Tate, near this city, that Pvt. Terrence Tate had died of disease in the army in France. Source: Southern Illinois Record March 13, 1919

Joseph Tatman
Flora relatives of Joseph Tatman received a message Sunday morning conveying the news of his death which occurred at his home in Mattoon. Mr. Tatman had been a sufferer for many months with dropsy.
[Source: Flora Journal Record (28 August 1924). Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter.]

Henry Taylor
Death claimed Henry Taylor, who passed away Wednesday Feb. 3, 1926 at the home of his son, Harvey Taylor 542 Vincennes avenue, Flora. His death was due to complication of diseases. He had been ill since last September and had been a patient in hospitals most of this time.
He was 68 years old and had resided near Johnsonville in Wayne county for many years. The body was taken to Johnsonville by A. G. Gaddis. undertaker and the funeral services were held Friday from Mt. Pleasant church. Interment in cemetery nearby.
He is survived by four sons, R. H., Harvey, Oliver and Walter Taylor; one daughter, Mrs. Arthur Bandy and several grandchlldren. We join the many friends of the bereaved in extending sympathy to them.
[Source: Flora Journal Record Feb. 11, 1926]

Wilmith M. Taylor
WILMITH M. (McBride) TAYLOR - 80, of Sterling, formerly of Xenia, Ill., died Monday at the CGH Medical Center. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Friday at the Frank and Bright Funeral home, Flora, Ill., with the Rev. Steve Winger officiating. Burial will be in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Xenia. Visitation will be 6-8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
Mrs. Taylor was born July 24, 1909 in Xenia, daughter of Cam and Martha McBride. She married William F. Taylor on March 30, 1927 in Flora. She was a housewife and was a member of the Christian Faith and of the Eastern Star.
Surviving are her husband; two daughters, Mrs. Glenn (Patricia Ann) Graves, Malibu, Calif.; and Mrs. Homer (Billie June) Carneal, Sterling; three grandchildren. She was preceded by one brother, and several half brothers and sisters.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling, Illinois, June 6, 1990 - Wednesday, pg A2]

Nancy A. Thornton
Nancy A., daughter of Mitchell and Matilda Jane Lockhart, was born March 7, 1852; departed this life, August 12, 1929, age 77 years, 5 months and 5 days.
She was united in marriage to Richard H. Hunley, May 4, 18?? To this union was born four children, the husband and three children having preceded her in death.
In May of 1914 she was married to Charles G. Thornton, who died December 3, 1924. In early life she professed faith in Christ and united with the Baptist church in Shelby county, Illinois. in May of 1881 she moved to Clay City and united with the M. E. Church South, having lived a consistent Christian life until she was called to her reward.
Those left to mourn her departure are: one son, Harvey W. Hunley, Utica, Illinois; step-dauther, Mrs. Fred Hammer, Washington, Indiana; one sister, Elizabeth Curry, Camp Canyon, Texas; nine grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, with a host of other relatives and friends.
Sister Thornton has been a patient suferer for years, having been confined to her bed for the last four months.
The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church South, 2:00 o’clock Tuesday afternoon, with Rev. R. F. Purdue oficiating. Interment in the I. O. O. F. cemetery.
[Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press. Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter]

Elmer Tisdale
Elmer Fern, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Tisdale, was born in East St. Louis, Ill., on the 29th day of Oct. 1908, departed this life on the 1st of Oct., age at death 16 years, 11 months, 2 days.
His death came as a chock to all, as it was thought that he was getting along nicely after a very serious operation in St. Louis, death coming within a short time when the change for the worse came. To mourn their sisters and two brothers as follows: Mrs. Grace Woods of St. Louis, Mo., Virginia, Julia. Edward and Paul at home, a grandfather and grandmother, five uncles, four aunts and many other relatives and a host of admiring friends, who join the family in their loss.
Elmer was one of those good, quiet, dependable boys. He was in the 8th grade at school, being the second member of this class that death has taken within the last three week. He was a member of the Boy Scouts of Flora. About six years ago, during Rev. Johnson’s ministry, Elmer became a member of the Christian church here, and has been very faithful to the Sunday school and church ever since. proving that boys can be and are sincerely religious. He died just as he had lived, without any fears, his trust placed in the Lord.
Funeral services were held at the First Christian church Sunday afternoon, Oct. 4, at 2:30 o’clock, conducted by Rev. C. L. Doty. A beautiful solo was rendered by Ted Fitch. The remains were laid to rest in Elmwood cemetery. The grave was covered with beautiful floral offerings.
[Source: Flora Journal Record (8 October 1925). Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter.]

James D. Tolliver
The body of James D. Tolliver was brought to Louisville last Wednesday for burial. The remains were received at the railroad station by Wm. R. Tolliver, an only brother, and were taken to Cole’s chapel, where appropriate services were conducted by a woman of the Holiness persuasion, after which the interment was made in Hoosier cemetery. The deceased met his death on the night of August 5 near Moccasin in Effingham county. He had left his home at Champaign with the intention of going to Arthur, a town in Moultrie county. It is supposed he was carried beyond his station and had alighted at Moccasin with the expectation of taking transportation back to Anna. While awaiting a train he fell asleep by the side of the track, and when a train finally approached he was suddenly awakened. In attempting to arise his head was struck by the petcock of the steam chest of the passing locomotive and was crushed. The accident occurred on the C. & E. I. railroad, probably five miles north of Altamont. James W. Tolliver was 57 years old. He was the son of John H. Tolliver, a former well known east side resident of Louisville. Several years ago he was found by the court to be mentally unbalanced, and was ordered to be taken to the asylum at Anna for treatment. He grew better and was returned to his home in this city. Later on, the diseased mental condition returning, he was again committed to the asylum, and again he got better and was discharged. Three or four years ago he and his family moved to Champaign, and a few months later Mr. Tolliver drifted away as an employed attaché of Ringling Bros. circus. When winter came on Mr. Tolliver and the circus folks pulled up at Topeka, Kas., with Tolver out of a job and out of money. They have a prejudice out in Topeka against wanderers, and all men who find themselves hungry in that town and go about asking for bread are promptly put in the cooler. Hence when Topeka got tired feeding Mr. Tolliver, they notified the authorities in Louisville, and W. H. Lackey was dispatched by the court to go after him and bring him home. This was done without incident, and for awhile the family, reunited, continued to reside here. About two years ago Mr. and Mrs. Tolliver and their two sons for the second or third time went to Champaign to live, since which time they have continued to reside there. James D. Tolliver died possessed of a good farm of 110 acres of land near the Rayborn school house in Hoosier Tp., which will descend to his widow, Minnie Baird Toiliver, and their two sons, Leonard and Roy.
[Source: Flora Journal Record (14 August 1924). Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter.]

Manford Lee Travis
Manford Lee Travis Meets Death in Water Last Saturday While Fishing
Last Saturday, just after noon, Manford Lee Travis, 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Travis, met an accidental death by drowning in the B. & O. reservoir just south of Flora.
Together with some other boys he had been fishing and was wearing boots. He had a string of fish and stepped on the rock piers of the railroad bridge to wash the mud off the fish. Some moss had grown on the rocks and made them slippery and he slipped into the water, which is deep at that place. Not being able to swim, he was drowned. One of his companions gave the alarm and a search was made for the body, which was recovered within an hour’s time but life was extinct.
Coroner James M. Dean, of Xenia was called over late Saturday to hold an inquest, but the inquiry was postponed until 9:00 o’clock Sunday morning, when the jury returned a verdict of accidental drowning in the reservoir at Flora, Ill. The jury was Arthur Bandy, Xenia, Foreman; Virgil E. Rose, Xenia; J. L. Bradley, C. M. Tatman, R. M. Kitley and E. J. Sullivan, of Flora.

Biographical -- Manford Lee Travis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Travis, was born June 17, 1911 at Flora, Ill. and died April 23, 1921, aged 9 years, 10 months and 8 days. He lived his entire short life in this city, and had many friends among his playmates. When it was so he could, he attended the Bible School at the Christian church. He had always been a very robust, and healthy boy, never hardly realizing what it meant to be sick. He had a perfect record thus far this year in his public school attendance. Those that knew him speak highly of his splendid manly characteristics. He departed this life Saturday afternoon about 1:00 o’clock.
He leaves, besides his father and mother, eight aunts, his grandparents and a host of other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held from the home on Washington Ave, Monday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock, conducted by Rev. G. W. Zink, pastor of the Christian church. A large concourse of relatives and friends were present. The floral tributes were many. Interment at Elmwood cemetery.
[Source: Flora Journal Record April 28, 1921. Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter]



© Genealogy Trails