J. M. Alldridge, merchant, Iola,
was born June 18, 1840, in this township. He is a son of William and Dicy (Davis) Aldridge, of whom mention is
made in another part of this work.
Our subject went to school here, and engaged in farming till he came to Iola. Previous to this, he had owned two good farms; the first of 100 acres he sold to Andrew Koss; the last of 136 acres he told to S. Weaver. In Iola, he bought a lot and house of Moore & Riley, in which he keeps a grocery store, also queensware and glassware. He also keeps boarders.
Mr. Alldridge was married here, December 17, 1868, to Miss Sarah J. Littleton, born August 5, 1850, in this township. She is a daughter of John and Catharine (Peck) Littleton, who are natives of Ohio. The result of this happy union is five children, viz., Mary A., Robert E., Leslie, Dollie and Claude (deceased). Mr. Alldridge has made a success in farming, and also in his new occupation, for which he seems eminently fitted.
He has filled the offices of Township Clerk two years, and of Township Assessor two years. In politics, he is an ardent Democrat, and considered a leader among the Democrats in Larkinsburg Township. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
merchant, Clay City, was born in Richland County, Ill., August 4, 1837, and is a son of L. L.
and Mary Ann (McCawley) Allender. The father was a native of Shepherdsville, Ky. and came to the State about 1830. He was a farmer by occupation, and his death occurred in February, 1847. The mother was a daughter of John McCawley, a sketch of whose life appears in the history of Clay City Township. Subject was the second of seven children, four of whom are living, viz., John D. (our subject), Martha (wife of M. Crackles, of Pixley Township), Margaret (wife of Scott Moats, of Mt. Erie Township) and Elizabeth (wife of James Bradshaw, of the same township). The father died when subject was about eight years old. The latter, however, remained at home with his mother until fifteen. He then came to Maysville, this township, and here he worked on a farm for about three years. He then went to McDonough County, this State, where he worked for about fifteen months. He came to Clay City about 1857, and began life here by teaming. He only worked at that one year and then opened a saloon. He carried on this business until 1866, and then embarked in the provision business. In 1868, he formed a partnership with Richard F. Duff, under the firm name of Allender & Duff. This firm continued in the provision business for about seven years, and then opened a general store, in which business they have been engaged ever since. The firm erected their present brick block in 1872, at a cost of about $4,500. At present the firm cany a stock of about $6,000. They also handle considerable produce of all kinds, making a specialty of game, pelts and hides. Mr. Allender was married in Clay City, Ill., December 23, 1875, to Miss Fannie Sage, a daughter of Mrs. Caroline Ullum. Mrs. Allender was born in Ross County, Ohio, and is the mother of three children, viz., John Scott, Daniel Beecher and Jessie Mell. Mr. and Mrs. Allender are both members of the Methodist Church South. Mr. Allender is a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 1488, A. F. & A. M. In politics, he has given his support to the Democratic party. He has served as one of the members of the Town Board. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
James Anderson, physician, Hord,
was born July, 3, 1 825 in Fayette County, Ind. , son of George and Eliza (Shipley) Anderson, he a native of Kentucky,
and she of Maryland. He was born in September, 1798, and died Aug. 6, 1883, and was a farmer and mechanic
by occupation. She was born in 1803, and died in Sonoma County, Cal. She is the mother of ten children, viz.: James,
Cynthia, Eliza, Robert and David (twins), Sarah, Jane, George, Rebecca and Thomas.
Our subject is mainly self-educated, receiving his medical education at Des Moines, Iowa, to which city his father had moved in 1848. There Dr. Russell was his preceptor for two years, after which he studied medicine himself and gradually acquired his fund of knowledge.
In the spring of 1852, he returned to Illinois, where he stayed one year with Dr. Falley, of Mason, Effingham County. In 1856, our subject came to Clay County, where he boarded nine months with Dr. Bugher and taught school, also practiced medicine a little by visiting Dr. Bugher's patients for him. After this, our subject taught school in this and Effingham County for two years, and finally in 1858 established himself as a physician in Jordon.
At present he resides a half mile west of Jordon, now called Hord Post Office, enjoying a large and remunerative practice. The Doctor also owns 215 acres of land in this township. Dr. Anderson was joined in matrimony, January 2, 1859, in Blair Township to Miss Susannah Blair, born February 13, 1836, in Indiana. She is a daughter of James and Margaret (Hughes) Blair. Six children are the result of this happy union, the names of the children are: George (born October 10, 1859), David B. (born December 10, 1861), Francis H. (born October 15, 1861), Howard M. (born July 23, 1870), Luella (born April 24, 1872, she died November 14, 1874), and Mahala A. (born March 10, 1876).
Dr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Baptist Church. He has filled the office of Township Clerk, Highway Commissioner, Township Supervisor. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
Joseph Anderson, farmer, P. O.
Xenia, was born in Grant County, Ky., September 1, 1819, to Joseph and Patsie D. (Henderson) Anderson. The father
was a native of Virginia, born May 8, 1792. The mother was born July 8, 1791, in Kentucky. When he was a child
he emigrated to Boone County, Ky., with his parents, and it was there he was married, and afterward moved to Grant
County. In March, 1824. they removed to Decatur County, Ind., where they resided till 1859, and then came
to Clay County, Ill., where they lived until death. He died May 29, 1879; she, January 17, 1880. They were the
parents of six sons and two daughters. The following yet survive: Thomas, Joseph, John J., William, Mrs.
Rebecca J. Irwin, of Arkansas, and George. All reside in this county except Mrs. Irwin.
Our subject was reared and educated in Indiana, where he resided until 1847. February 2, 1847, he was married in Indiana to Miss Eliza Anderson. She was born in Boone County, Ky., July 15, 1827, and is the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Myers) Anderson. They died in Kentucky, he October 27, 1880, she March, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Anderson have four children living and three dead. The living are David S. ; Sarah J., wife of Welcome Anderson; George W. and Jasper R.
Soon after marriage, Mr. Anderson moved to this county, and December 7, 1847, settled on his present farm, buying at first but 240 acres. He now owns 628 acres, 520 lying in one body. He has been successful in his business, for all has been obtained through hard work and good business tact. In 1848, his farm was burned over by a prairie fire, and he lost 10,000 rails, besides part of his crop. As he was away from home, his neighbors turned out and gathered the corn still remaining, and cribbed it for him.
In 1802, he, in partnership with his brother George, ran the first steam thresher ever used in Clay County. Mr. Anderson has never taken much of a part in political matters, but he is identified with the Democratic party. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
Welcome Anderson, farmer, P. O.
Xenia, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, April 11, 1837, to S. C. and Sarah (Moore), Anderson. The father was
a native of Pennsylvania, and the mother of Ohio. They were the parents of six children now living, three sons
and three daughters. His occupation was that of a farmer.
When our subject was about nine years of age, he removed to Muskingum County, Ohio, with his parents, and it was there he was reared and educated. He remained at home till about twenty-two years of age, and then began for himself. In 1861, he went to Texas, and for four years was engaged in the sheep business. In 1865, he sold out and returned to Ohio, and engaged in the saw mill business. In 1866. he brought his mill to Clay County, Ill., and for three years was engaged in that business, and then began farming.
He now owns 240 acres of prairie land and 40 of timber, on which he does general farming. In 1867, he was married in this county, to Miss Sallie J. Anderson, a daughter of Joseph Anderson, whose sketch appears. This union has been blest with the following named children: Ezra W., Flora O, Asher L. and Leslie J. Mr. Anderson is identified with the Democratic party, but has avoided political life. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
James M. Andrews, dealer in stoves and tinware, Louisville, was born in Randolph County, Ohio, September 8, 1836. His parents died and loft him an orphan when very small, and he was thrown upon the mercies of a cold world, and was knocked around from pillar to post. He molded and burned brick for several years, having burned the brick of which the Louisville Schoolhouse is built. He came to Knox County, Ind., in 1856, and to Clay County in 1875, and engaged in the same business he is now following, but sold out in 1877, and farmed four veins. Then, 1881, he resumed the business of tinner and dealer in stoves. He was married, December 21, 1857, to Sarah Holt, by whom he had eight children; five of these are living Noble, James, William, David and Minnie. Mrs. Andrews died in 1882, and he married Mrs. Nancy Lewis in 1883. Mr. Andrews owns the right for Clay County to manufacture and sell the Triumph Washer. It is a novelty, and is pronounced the best washer that has ever yet been offered to the public. It was patented in 1882. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Mrs. Andrews is a Methodist. Excerpt from "History of Wayne & Clay Counties, Illinois, 1884"
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails