Cridleton T. Johnson, proprietor of the Clay County Mills, Flora, Ill., was born October 9, 1837, in Lawrence County, Ill., where he grew to manhood. When eighteen years old, he was apprenticed to J. L. Spencer, of Sumner, Ill., with whom he learned the trade of blacksmith. At this trade he worked during his residence in Lawrence County, which terminated in 1873, at which time he came to Flora, Clay County.
On the 20th of July, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eleventh Missouri Regiment, in which organization he served two and a half years, when he was transferred to the Fifth United States Heavy Artillery, from which he was discharged May 20, 1866. He held the positions of Corporal and Orderly in the first organization, and was mustered out with the commission of Second Lieutenant, having served for several months as regimental drillmaster. Mr. Johnson participated in many engagements, among which were Frederickstown,Mo., Iuka and Corinth, Miss., and the siege of Vicksburg, including the battle of Jackson, Miss.
He was married, October 29, 1865, in Orleans, Ind., to Miss Clara Ingraham, who was born in Pennsylvania May 22, 1840. They have two childrenóCora, born in Flora, October 10, 1876, and Lolu Johnson, born June 5, 1879. C. T. Johnson is a son of George W. Johnson, and grandson of James Johnson, who came from Knox County, Ind., where George W. was born April 17, 1809; to Lawrence County, Ill., in 1818. In the latter county George W. was married to Nancy A. Turner; she was born October 6, 1811, and is a daughter of Robert Turner, who came from North Carolina to Lawrence County, Ill., in an early day.
Mr.C T. Johnson came to Flora as above stated in 1873, since which time he has been engaged in the milling business, and now owns a substantial mill furnished with the most modern machinery. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
A.R.Jones, merchant, Xenia, was born in Salem, Marion Co., Ill., December 16, 1851, and is the son of D. G. and Rebecca (Farris) Jones. She was born in Indiana, but came to Clay County, Ill., with her parents, when she was small. He was born in Tennessee, and was brought to Marion County, Ill., by his parents, when about eight years of age, and has resided in that county ever since, except about seven years spent in Clay County. His occupation is that of a farmer. They are the parents of eleven children, all of whom are living, except the youngest. Our subject is the oldest of the family, and his early life was spent assisting on the farm and in attending the schools of the county. When twenty years of age, he began teaching school, and continued teaching in the winter, and farming at home in the summer till he was twenty-four years of age. He continued teaching till in the summer of 1880, when he went into the store of J. W. Westcott, at Xenia in the summer of 1880, where he remained for two years. In the winter of 1882ó83, he again was engaged in teaching. In spring of 1883, he engaged in business for himself in the firm of A. R. Jones & Co. The firm carries a complete general stock of goods, averaging about $3,500, and with a good trade, December 26,1882, he was married to Miss Ada H. McNeil. She was born in Jersey County, Ill., and is the daughter of Lewis C. McNeil, deceased. Mr. Jones is a member of the Xenia Lodges, I. 0 0. F. and K.of H. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, while his wife.is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an active Democrat in politics.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
John M. Jones, farmer, stock-raiser and sorghum manufacturer, Sec. 21, P. O. Hoosier Prairie, was born in Clinton County, Ky.. November 22, 1832. His father, Wilson L. Jones, resides in Clinton County, Ky. Mr. Jones attended a subscription school a short time, but received his early education mostly between tlie plow handles.
He was for the Union during the war, and a member of the Kentucky Home Guards, but was compelled to leave his home. The United States Government gave him a free pass to Gosport, Ind., in August, 1864. He there made a crop in 1865, and the following fall came to Christian County, Ill., where he farmed until October, 1878, when he came to this township, and settled on the old Henry Conley place, where he is paying considerable attention to raising good hogs, general farming, and the manufacturer of sorghum molasses. His molasses is pronounced extra good by competent judges.
He is also a blacksmith by trade, and still does something in that line. He has built a nice new house, and is making other substantial improvements, which speak well for his enterprise. He owns 128 acres of land. Mr. Jones is a Deacon in the Baptist Church.
He was married, December 9, 1855, to Nancy J. Kelsey, a daughter of William Kelsey. They have had fourteen children, eleven livingóWilliam W., Ollie A., John G., Abner W., Bennett N.. Exonea B., Minnie M., Charley M., Lillie J., Delia M. and Ida A. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
STEPHEN R. JONES, contractor and builder, Louisville, was born July 7, 1841, in Ripley County, Ind. His father, Samuel S. Jones (deceased), was a native of Sussex County, N. Y. Mr. Jones was brought up partially on a farm, and educated at Bellefontaine, Ohio. He came with his parents to Clay County in 1859, where he has since resided. For the past sixteen years he has worked at the carpenter trade. He built the Griffin Hotel, the Excelsior Flouring Mills, and some of the best dwellings in Louisville. He was married in 1867 to Mary E. Martin, daughter of John A. Martin, of Burt County, Neb. They have had six children, four livingóOliver M., Curtis O, Zimenia D. and Charles F. Mr. Jones was Constable one term, Deputy Sheriff three terms, and at present Highway Commissioner for Louisville Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884"
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails