C. F. Landwehr, farmer, P. O. Bible Grove, was born January 5,1851, in Prussia, Germany. His father, Charles Landwehr, is also a farmer by occupation, and yet resides in Bible Grove Township, near his son. The mother of our subject is Catharine (Coors) Landwehr; she is yet living and is the mother of five children.
Our subject received his education partly in Germany and partly in St. Louis. In early life he farmed, but in 1873 he went to California, the acme of this wonderland America, and there in Pescadero, he worked at the Lincoln Hotel, a3 porter and clerk. Finally, after working for some time at the Swanton House, he went to farming, and in the winter of 1870, returned to Illinois.
Here he was married in April, 1880, to Miss Mary Mascher; this lady was born June 20, 1863, in Jasper County,Ill. She is a daughter of Frederick Mascher. She has blessed her husband with two childrenEmery and Emelia, Mr. Landwehr is an intelligent farmer, and owns 220 acres of land. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church. Politically, our subject is a Republican. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Frank Levitt, member of the firm of Levitt & Easley, was born January 6, 1878, about three miles east of Sailor Springs at Old Gatewood (Bucktown), in Pixley township. He was reared on a farm and after he married he continued farming in the same community in which he was reared until he came with his family to Clay City in September, 1924.
A year or so before moving to Clay City he entered into the flour and feed business, as a side line, at Sailor Springs. Desiring to enter the business more extensively he moved his business to Clay City and retired from the farm. Soon after moving here he erected a store room and warehouse on West First street, near the Banker House, better known to some as the Brock House, facing the railroad, where he has conducted the flour, feed and coal business ever since.
Last October he accepted tl:e partnership of Glenn R. Easley in the coal business. Mr. Easley is for the things that go to help make Clay City a better town and is a member of the Boosters Club.
Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
William H. Levitt, farmer and stockdealer, P. O. Gatewood, is a native of Posey County, Ind., and was born October 2, 1834. His father, Michael Levitt, was born near Lexington, Ky., and his mother, Maria (Hanning) Levitt, was a native of Fayette County, Ky., and a daughter of Daniel Hanning, a Virginian by birth, and of German descent. Michael Levitt removed with his family to Clay County in 1849, and settled on Levitt's Prairie, in Pixley Township, which was settled iirst by his brother, James Levitt, as early as 1828.
William attended the common schools, and since grown has paid his attention to farming and dealing in stock. He owns 500 acres of land. For two years he engaged in the mercantile business at Gatewood.
In religion, he is a Baptist. He was married, October 27, 1875, to Drucilla, only child of Joel Wammack (deceased), an early settler of Clay County. They have had two children -Francis Marion and William R.
John C. Lough, farmer. P. O. Sailor Springs, was born in Braxton County. Va., May 8, 1836, and is a son of Peter Lough (deceased), a native of Virginia, who brought his family to Clay County in 1839, and settled in Pixley Township, where he died in 1860.
Our subject was a soldier in the late war, in Company H, Twenty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Savannah, Atlanta, Island No. 10, Corinth, Vicksburg, Jackson, and was with "Sherman to the sea." He was taken prisoner at Colliersville, Tenn., while on picket duty.
In 1872, Mr. Lough went to Jewell County, Kan., and returned in 1876 ; and since that time has resided in Hoosier Township, having lived prior to that in Pixley. He owns 120 acres of laud, and is engaged in farming, carpentering and bridge-building. He is a member of the Methodist Church.
He married Elizabeth West in September, 1856. They have had five children, two living, Ezra and Edward. A daughter and son, Alice and Andrew, died at the ages of twenty and thirteen years respectively. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Peter M. Lough, farmer, P. O. Wilsonburg, was born in Braxton County, W. Va. March 26, 1838, and is a son of Peter Lough a native of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Lough was brought up on the farm, and attended school in a log cabin with a dirt floor. He came with his parents to Edwards County, Ill., in 1839, and to this county in 1840. The first summer they lived in a rail pen, and in the fall built a cabin.
Mr. Lough was a soldier in the late war, in Company H, Twenty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Vicksburg, Atlanta, Kenesaw Mountain, Lookout Mountain, both battles at Corinth, Jackson, Miss., Resaca, Big Shanty, Island No. 10, Point Pleasant, Bentonville and others, and was with Sherman to the sea.
He was married, February 1, 1875, to Elizabeth Dewhirst, daughter of James Dewhirst (deceased). Our subject owns ninety acres of land, and is engaged in general farming. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Dr. T.N. Lownsdale, physician, Clay City, was born in Pike County, Ind., August 12, 1841; son of John and Nancy (Thomas) Lownsdale James Lownsdale, the grandfather of our subject, came from England and settled in Louisiana.
In 1816, he started for Indiana, but stopping over in Kentucky for a short time, the father was born. After a short stay in that State, the grandfather came directly to Pike County, Ind. In that county the father grew to manhood and followed the trade of a blacksmith there until his death, February 22, 1852. The mother was a native of Pike County, and was a daughter of Lewis and Sallie (Alexander) Thomas.
The father was a native of Virginia, the mother of Georgia. Subject was the eldest of four children, three of whom are now livingThomas N. (our subject), Mary (wife of Ed "Williams, of Arthur, Ind.), and William, in Franklin County, Ill.
Thomas' education was received principally in the subscription schools of his native county, but he, however, attended some free schools. At the age of nineteen, he commenced reading medicine at the office of Dr. Z. G. Martin, of Otwell, Ind. He had only read with him one year, when, the war breaking out, he enlisted in the Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He remained out until honorably discharged on June 16, 1864.
Returning to Pike County, Ind., he began clerking in a store at Otwell. He only remained at that place a short time, and then began reading medicine with Dr. Zemus Kelso, of Ireland, Ind. He studied with this preceptor for about two years, and then went to Cincinnati, where he attended lectures.
Graduating from the Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1875, he immediately returned, and began the practice of his profession at Washington, Ind. He, however, only remained in that place about sis months, and then came to Clay City, Ill, where he has since remained. At present he has quite an extensive practice over a territory of about twenty-five square miles. He is a member of the Centennial Medical Society of Southeastern Illinois.
Dr. Lownsdale was married, January 3, 1877, in Stanford Township, Clay County, to Miss Alice Bothwell, a daughter of Thompson and Indiana (Mabry) Bothwell. The father was a native of Ohio, the mother of Tennessee. Mrs. Lownsdale was born in Stanford Township, this county, March 8, 1852, and is the mother of four children, of whom three are now living Agnes, born June 1, 1878; Mary, February 18, 1883, and St. Claire.
Dr. Lownsdale is identified with the Democratic party in politics. He is a member of the G. A. R., Clay City, Post No. 269. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Joseph Luse, of the firm of Warner & Luse, Flora, Ill., was born June 13, 1824, in Washington County, Penn. While he was yet a child, his parents, Daniel and Susan (Hartley) Luse, removed to Ohio and settled in Guernsey County, where he grew to manhood, being reared upon the farm and educated in the common schools.
He was married, November 10, 1847, in Guernsey County, to Miss Elizabeth Starr, daughter of James and Catherine (Hiskett) Starr. She was born, July 4, 1827, in Guernsey County, Ohio.
Mr. Luse continued on the farm in Ohio until the fall of 1864, when, having completed a term of enlistment in the military service, he removed his family to Illinois, and settled in Harter Township, Clay County. He here prosecuted his farming interest until coming to Flora, in 1881, and still owns a landed interest of several hundred acres. Since coming to Flora he has engaged in an extensive mercantile business, associated with C. H. Warner.
His family are Sarah C, wife of Ed Higginson; Susan M. . wife of Samuel Finley; Mary E., wife of L. Sheehan; William A. (deceased); John M. ; Cynthia A., and Matilda, both of whom died in infancy; Linna, wife of R. L. Stanford; James S. (deceased); Joseph E., Alice and Charles L. Luse.
Mr. Luse is an Elder in the Christian Church, of which Mrs. Luse is also an honored member. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails