Wilson H. Mahon, physician, Sailor Springs, was born in Fayette County, Ill., June 26, 1853. and is a son of Jeduthan Mahon, of Fayette County, and a native of Virginia. Our subject spent his boyhood days on the farm, and received an education at the towns of Westfield and Carthage, Ill.
He graduated from the American Medical College at St. Louis, Mo., in the spring of 1880. He practiced one year in St. Louis, then went to New Mexico and practiced a year, when he came to Kinmundy, Ill., and formed a partnership with Dr. W. O. Smith in the practice of medicine, remaining there until the spring of 1883.
He then located permanently at Sailor Springs (by request of the proprietors of the Springs), where he is building up a good practice. He built a large drug store and hall at this place in the fall of 1883. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Stephen J. Major, proprietor of the Major House, Flora, Ill., is a son of H R. Major, one of the most venerable of Flora's citizens Stephen J. was born in Defiance, Defiance Co., Ohio. April 29, 1840, where he attained the age of fourteen, when he came with his parents to Illinois.
They settled in Richland County, from whence they came to Flora in 1859. At that time S. J. engaged in hotel and livery business, which he continued until 1862, when he went to California to work at mining. In the latter part of 1863, he returned, and for two years was engaged in the mercantile trade. In 1865, he again resumed the hotel business which he has continued successfully ever since. He then began in a small frame building on the north side of North avenue, which has since been removed. In 1872, the main building of the present elegant building was erected. This building is of brick, three stories high and contains fifty- four rooms. In 1882, the two-story addition was built, the whole costing $22,000. Mr. Major is in politics a Republican. He is a member of Flora Lodge, No. 204, A., F. & A. M., Flora Chapter, No. 154, R. A. M., and the Gorin Conimandery. No. 14, K. T.
He was married in 1866 to Miss Carrie Peake, daughter of William Peake, of Clay County. She was born in Ohio in 1842. They have two children, Harry S. and Mary Major. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
J. W. Manker,station agent, Clay City, was born in Hillsboro. Highland County. Ohio, February 20, 1841, and is a son of Jenkins and Sarah (Rogers) Manker, natives of the same county. Our subject was the second of seven children of whom but three are now living J. W. (our subject), Mary E. (wife of R. F. Duff) and E. P. (now with Allender & Duff). Our subject's education was received mainly in the common schools of his native town.
When sixteen his father moved to Clay County and settled on a farm south of Maysville. The father resided there a short time and then came to Clay City and purchased the Mound House, which he ran for about six years. He next embarked in the grain business and continued in that until his health failed him. Since then he has been living a retired life.
In 1862, our subject commenced learning telegraphy under W. C. Roach, who was then station agent at Clay City. In the fall of 1863, he was appointed to succeed Mr. Roach as agent, and has since held that position acceptably to both himself and the company.
Mr. Manker was married in Flora, Ill., February 7, 1860, to Miss Callie Peak, a daughter of William L. and CynthaPeak, of Flora. One child has blessed this union Willie, who is now in the office with his father and acts as operator.
Mr. and Mrs. Manker are both members of the Clay City Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Manker is also a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 488, A. F. & A. M. In politics, he is identified with the Republican party.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
A. M. E. Martin, farmer, P. O. Xenia, was born in Rush County, Ind., November 20, 1833 to William and Mary (Jones) Martin, natives of Woodford County, Ky., where they were married. In about 1823, they emigrated to Indiana, where they resided till 1842, and then came to Clay County, Ill., where she died in 1843. He, however, lived till 1876.
He was married three times, but only had children by the first wife, and by her there were five daughters and three sons, and of that number only the following are now living: James W., Elizabeth Holeman, and our subject. A. M. E.
Our subject has resided most of his life in Clay County, coming here with his father in 1842. Six years of his life, however, he resided in Marion County. He also has been married three times; first, November 11, 1853, to Mary Jane Atkinson, a native of Orange County. Ind. She was the mother of five children now living, and three dead. Mrs. Martin died in 1870.
He was married, February 9, 1873, to Lucinda A. Chasteen, a native of Illinois. She was the mother of one child, now living. Mrs. M. died January 3, 1874. July 11, 1875, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Thomas, a native of Orange County, Ind. She is the mother of three children. The following are the names of Mr. Martin's living children: Jasper N., William A, Mary E., Rosa B., Lydia J., Winnie L., Ella J., James E. and an infant.
When Mr. Martin first started for himself, it was as a farm hand, working for two years on a farm in Indiana in 1850 and 1851. October 3, 1864, he moved on to his present farm, which was at that time all an open prairie. He now owns a farm of 218 acres of well-improved land.
He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and have been for nearly a quarter of a century, and during that time he has been an Elder in the church. In politics, he is Democratic, and has held different township offices; for four years in succession he was Supervisor of the township, and for two years was Chairman of the board.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
B.M. Maxey, merchant, Xenia, was born in Johnsonville, Wayne Co., Ill., November 25, 1856, and is a son of Joshua C.and Elvira A. (Galbraith) Maxey. The father was born in Jefferson County, Ill., where the Maxey family was one of the earliest to settle. His occupation was that of a farmer. At the breaking-out of the civil war, he was one of the first to answer to his country's call, and enlisted in Company I, Forty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years. March 11, 1864, after he had re-enlisted and was on his return to his regiment, he was killed at Louisville, Ky., through the mistake of a guard. His widow, our subject's mother, was born in Marion County, Ill., and is now a resident of Xenia, Ill. She is the mother of three children living, viz., Belle, wife of W. T.Sanders, of DuQuoin, Ill.; B. M and Mattie C. Our subject's life, till he reached the age of seventeen years, was spent atJohnsonville, Ill.. He then removed to Xenia with his mother. He attended the common schools of the country, and then the normal and business college at Valparaiso,Ind., completing the teachers' course in 1878. During his life, he has been engaged in teaching for seven years; but in the spring of 1881 he engaged in the drug business in Xenia, and has since added general merchandise, and now carries a stock of goods averaging about $3,500, with annual sales of about $15,000. September 7, 1879, he was married in Xenia,Ill., to Miss Rose Tully, daughter of John and Sarah (Elston) Tully. The father is of an old and prominent family of Marion County, Ill. , and the mother is the daughter of Thomas Elston, an Englishman by birth, but who was an early and prominent settler in Albion, Ill., and also a resident in later years of Salem and Xenia. Mr. and Mrs. Maxey are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Xenia Lodge of I.O.O. F. In politics, he is an active Republican, and has held different offices of trust in the township and village. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Bennett M. Maxey The efforts of the subject of this sketch have proven of the greatest value to his fellow citizens as well as to himself. He has shaped his career along worthy lines, and they have been discerningly directed along well defined channels of endeavor. He is a man of distinct and forceful individuality, of marked sagacity, of undaunted enterprise, and in manner he is genial, courteous and easily approached. His career has ever been such as to warrant the trust and confidence of the business world and his activity in industrial, commercial and financial circles, forms no unimportant chapter in the history of Clay county.
Bennett M. Maxey, publisher of the Flora Journal, was born in Johnsonville, Wayne county, Illinois, November 25, 1856, the son of Joshua C. Maxey, a native of Jefferson county, this state, where he spent the greater part of his life on a farm. He was a sergeant in Company I, Forty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and took part in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, siege of Vicksburg and other noted battles. He was killed while in service at Louisville, Kentucky, near the close of the war. He was regarded by his comrades as a brave and gallant soldier.
Bennett Maxey, the subject's paternal grandfather, was one of the original settlers of Jefferson county, where he devoted his life to farming, and lived to an advanced age. Our subject is a descendant of a prominent pioneer family of Jefferson county. The subject's mother was Elvira A. Galbraith, whose people were early settlers of Wayne county. She passed to her rest in 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Joshua C. Maxey were the parents of five children, three of whom are living at this writing. They are Bennett M., Mrs. Belle Sanders, of Du Quoin, Illinois, and Mrs. Mattie Vickrey, of Missoula, Montana.
Mrs. Maxey was educated in the common schools of Johnsonville, Wayne county, and in Xenia. Clay county. He also attended school in Valparaiso, Indiana, having graduated from that institution in 1880, completing the teacher's course. After leaving the university he taught school for five years. In 1881 he engaged in the drug business at Xenia which he conducted until 1887, when he sold out and went to California, where he remained for four years, engaged in the real estate business and ranching. He returned to Clay county in 1889 and located in Flora, where he has since resided. He was associated with J. L. Black in the real estate and insurance business until 1898, in which year he launched in the mercantile business in which he engaged until 1904, when he bought The Southern Illinois Journal, the leading local paper of Flora, which he has continued to manage up to this writing with increasing success.
Mr. Maxey has other interests of various natures, being interested financially in several local enterprises. He has served as City Alderman, during which time he looked well to the city's development in every way possible.
Mr. Maxey was united in marriage in 1880, to Rosa Tully, of Xenia, a native of Clay county. No children have been born to this union.
In his fraternal relations, our subject is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Masonic Fraternity and the Order of Eastern Star. Both he and Mrs. Maxey are members of the Methodist church. In politics he is a Republican and always loyal to its policies. His paper is an important factor in local political affairs. It is on a good footing and the plant is well equipped and modern, having a cylinder press and gas power. Mr. Maxey owns the building in which the plant is located, and he also owns his residence property. He deserves a great deal of credit for what he has accomplished, for his success in the various lines of business he has followed has been won in the face of obstacles and by his unaided efforts. Excerpt from: Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--Pub. 1909
J.M. Mayfield, merchant, Xenia, was born in Abbeville, S. C, in 1837, to George and Maria (James) Mayfield, who were natives of Virginia. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated at Greenville College, Greenville, S. C. In 1856, he emigrated to Georgia, and the year following, in 1875, was married to Amanda E. Kemp, a native of Georgia and a daughter of Wiley and Parthenia (Tippen) Kemp. Mr. and Mrs.Mayfield have four children George, Nellie, Hattie and Maud. After going to Georgia, Mr. Mayfield learned the trade of millwright, and followed his trade as a business for some time, and at intervals ever since. In 1864, he was running a furnace in Georgia, but his place of business lay in the line of Sherman's march, and was destroyed by fire, and Mr. Mayfield lost all. The same year, 1864, he came to St. Louis and started anew, working for some time at his trade of millwright. In the latter part of 1864, he came to Xenia, Ill., and has made this his home since. In 1866, he commenced selling lumber at this point, and has continued in the same since, but has gradually added to his business, first the hardware, etc., till now he carries a complete general stock, including ready-made
clothing, hats, caps, boots, shoes, etc., etc., having a stock invoicing about $8,000. In politics, he is connected with the Democratic party. Although he has been an active and successful business man, yet Mr. Mayfield has still found time to read and study many subjects, and has included law in his studies also.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Daniel McCawley, merchant, Clay City, is probably the oldest native born resident in this township. He was born about two miles southeast of Clay City, on January 28, 1826, and is a son of John and Martha (Lacy) McCawley. The parents are noticed in the sketch of J. I. McCawley (a brother of subject), which appears elsewhere in this work.
His education was received mostly in the schools of this county, but in 1837 he went to Jefferson County, Ky., and there remained with his uncle until 1841, and while there he attended school some. From Kentucky he came back to this county, and assisted his father on the farm until about twenty-five.
Commencing life for himself he first opened a saloon in the old town of Maysville. In 1850, he began selling groceries and dry goods at the same point, and carried on business there until 1857. The town of Clay City having been started the year before he came to that place, and has since been engaged in business there almost ever since. His first venture here was a general store, in which he did business until 1861. He then made a contract with the Commissioners of Wayne County to erect some bridges in that county. After working a few years in that capacity, he began dealing in stock and farming at Clay City. This he has carried on quite extensively ever since, and now owns 1,200 acres in this township, of which there are about 500 acres under cultivation.
In 1863, he began running a sawmill at Clay City, and afterward added a grist mill, and has since had an interest in the Clay City Mills. Part of the time the premises have been leased by other parties, Holman & Markle now having it in charge. In 1878, he began merchandising in Clay City, opening a large hardware and implement store. In this business he is still engaged, and now carries a stock of about $3,000.
Mr. McCawley was married in this county, February 14. 1856, to Mary F. Slocumb, a daughter of R. B. and Elizabeth (Leech) Slocumb. The father was a native of South Carolina, and settled in Wayne County in an early day. He was one of the foremost men in the early history of that county.
Among the offices to which he was elected were those of Circuit Judge, County Clerk, Member of Legislature, and was at one time Lieutenant Governor. His death occurred in 1875, and his loss was severely felt by the people in this section of the State.
The mother was a daughter of Mr. Leech, who was one of the early pioneers of Wayne County, and from whom Leech Township in that county received its name. Mrs. McCawley was born in Wayne County, November 15, 1836. To her were born six children, four of whom are now living, viz.: Mary E., born October 13, 1858, and now the wife of J. D. Kadler, of St. Louis; John R., born December 5, 1860; Helen L., May 6, 1865; Daniel L., April 1, 1868. This lady died on December 24, 1879.
Mr. McCawley has been a strong Democrat all of his life, and has taken quite an active part in politics. He has served in quite a number of offices. Was Postmaster from 1852 to 1856, and afterward served as Deputy for a number of years. Has also been Justice of the Peace, Township Supervisor and Assessor, member of County Board of Supervisors, and has also been on the State Board of Equalization. He is a member of Olney Lodge, No. 140, A., F. & A. M.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
J. I McCawley, claim agent for O. & M. Railroad. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is to-day one of the most prominent men of this part of Illinois. He is a native of this county, being born about two miles southeast of the present village of Clay City August 20, 1829. He is a son of John L. and Martha (Lacy) McCawley.
The grandfather of our subject, James McCawley, was born in Scotland. When a young man, he moved to the North of Ireland, and there married Sarah Gilmore. Soon after his marriage, he emigrated to the United States with two of his brothers. William, one of the brothers, settled in Charleston, S. C, the other in Virginia. The grandfather came West and settled in Jefferson County, Ky. There the father was born December 24, 1782. He was one of seven children, all of whom are now dead.
The father remained in Kentucky until 1810, and then deciding to begin life for himself, he started for St. Louis, and had made his way as far north as Clay County, when one of his horses took sick. The place where he stopped was on the Little Wabash, near the eastern edge of the county. He sent back to Kentucky for a horse, and having to wait for about ten days, he fell in love with the country. He accordingly decided to locate where he was, and built a cabin. He thus made the first settlement in this part of the State, there being no other white man within about sixty miles. Here he remained for some little time, his only companions being the wild men of the forest.
In the early part of 1811, he returned again to civilization, and February 14, of that year, he was united in marriage to Miss Martha Lacy. This lady was born in Jefferson County, Ky., February 14, 1791. Her father was a native of Denmark, her mother of Pennsylvania. Not wishing as yet to bring his wife West until affairs were a little more civilized, he bade her goodbye, and again returned to his lonely cabin on the banks of the Wabash.
Here he made good friends with the Indians, and their friendship for him stood him to good purpose afterward; for at the breaking out of the war of 1812, the famous War Chief Tecumseh marched down through this part of the country on his way to the campaign in Indiana; he accordingly sent forth a command that every white man this side of Vincennes should be murdered. The night before the time appointed for the massacre, the Indians came to McCawley and told him of it. They advised him to start for Vincennes, where there was a fort, and offered to follow him, to see that no other Indians bothered him. He decided to act upon their advice, and the next morning as soon as it was day he started on his homeward journey. He saw no one, neither friend nor foe, until he was just entering the fort at Vincennes, when he heard a war whoop. Turning around he saw the same Indians who had given him the warning the night before ride out from the brush, wave their hands, and then turning their horses toward the setting sun they disappeared.
Having been protected thus far, he made his way as fast as possible to his home in Kentucky. In that State he remained until 1816, when, accompanied by his family, he again came to Clay County, and settled in his former cabin. He immediately pre-empted 160 acres of land, afterward paying $2.50 per acre for it. This he finally increased to about 1,500 acres. Besides farming, he carried on a little store for a number of years, and made a good deal of money trading with the Indians.
In early days, he was a Henry Clay Whig, but afterward became a stanch Democrat. He was never much of a politician, and the only office he ever held was that of County Commissioner in the early days. His death occurred May 25, 1854, that of his wife October 14, 1844, and thus passed away the earliest pioneers of this county.
Subject was the next to the youngest of a family of ten children, of whom but three are now living Arthur (now in Texas), Daniel L. (in this county, and whose sketch appears elsewhere in this book) and J. I. (our subject). The latter' s education was received in the subscription schools of this county. He remained at home with his father until 1853, when he came to the old town of Maysville and commenced business for himself.
His first venture was that of a grocery store, which he ran until 1856. In that year the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad having been surveyed through this county, about a mile north of the old town of Maysville, he came to the new town of Clay City, which was then in its infancy, and opened a general store. He also accepted the position of the first station agent at this point, for the O. & M. Eailroad, and in this connection we might say that ever since Mr. McCawley has been in the employ of the road in some capacity or another.
He, however, followed merchandising in Clay City until 1876, and then accepted the position of general claim agent for the railroad; this position he has held ever since, and the administration of the office has been both acceptable to the company and to the general public. He also owns about 200 acres of land and has farming carried on quite extensively.
In the old town of Maysville, May 17, 1856, Mr. McCawley was married to Miss Maria L. Moore. This lady was the daughter of Green and Sarah (Shannon) Moore; the parents were born in North Carolina, and are still living in that State. For a number of years, however, they were residents of East Tennessee, and there Mrs. McCawley was born February 9, 1840.
To her have been born seven children, all of whom are now living Arthur H., born May 19, 1857; Sarah L., born December 7, 1858, now the wife of John T. Baird, of Olney, Ill.; Martha M., born July 31, 1863, now the wife of Dr. T. J. Eads, of Washington, Ind.; Mina J., born June 25, 1865; John G., born March 15, 1871; Mary E., born September 9. 1873; Lewis W. February 24, 1876.
Mr. McCawley is a strong Democrat, but owing to his official position he does not take an active part in politics. He is a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 488, A. F. & A. M. Mrs. McCawley and her three older children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884"
John I. McCawley--Few men on the threshold of the anniversary of the eightieth year of their age possess the remarkable energy and activity of the subject of this sketch, John I. McCawley, who is and has been for years, the leading spirit in every big enterprise that has been launched in Clay county, Illinois. He is not only the wealthiest man in that county, but has the distinction of being the oldest native born citizen thereof. He is the son of parents who penetrated the unbroken wilderness of Illinois, when hidden dangers menaced their every step. In those early days the great forests of that state were filled with hostile Indians and ferocious beasts. The subject experienced all of the hardships and privations that fell to the lot of the youth of those days, but he had inherited many of the rugged qualities of his courageous ancestors, and the great wealth that he possesses today is the reward of perseverance and industry.
Mr. McCawley was born on the Little Wabash river, about two miles and a half from Clay City, Illinois, August 20, 1829, and has spent his entire life in Clay county. He is a son of John McCawley, a native of Kentucky, who came to Illinois in 1810. Soon after this pioneer had located in Clay county the Black Hawk war broke out, and he was warned by friendly Indians to leave the country, add realizing that to remain meant sure death he heeded the admonition. He started back to Kentucky with an escort of Indians who accompanied him as far as Vincennes, Indiana. In 1816, when peace had been restored he returned to Clay county, and remained there until his death, in 1854. He was one of the first settlers in this section of Illinois, having been born in Jefferson county, Kentucky, December 24, 1782. The grandfather of the subject was James McCawley, a native of Scotland, who afterwards moved to the north of Ireland, where he married, and came to America, settling in Jefferson county. The mother of the subject was Martha Lacey, who was born in Jefferson county, Kentucky, February 4, 1791. She died October 14, 1844. Her parents were of Irish extraction.
Mr. McCawley remained upon his father's farm until he was twenty years of age, and then traveled about the country, spending three or four years in St. Louis, where he traded in stock.
He finally engaged in the grocery business at Maysville, then the county seat of Clay county. He was thus engaged for fifteen years, having added dry goods to his stock, after starting. When the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern, then the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad, was finished, in 1856, he moved to Clay City, where he re-embarked in the mercantile business, and until 1898, he had one of the largest establishments in the city. It was at the close of that year that he retired from active business affairs, although his local interests are large and varied, and he gives them personal attention. On May 17, 1856, the subject was married to Maria L; Moore, who was born in Johnson county, Tennessee, February 9, 1840. Seven children were the fruits of this union: Arthur H., born May 14, 1857, resides in Clay City; Sarah L., wife of John T. Baird, of Olney, Illinois, born December 7, 1858; Martha Maria, wife of Dr. T. L. Leeds, of Michigan City, Indiana; Mina Julia, wife of Oscar W. Gill, of Chicago, born June 25, 1865; John G., born March 5, 1871, lives in St. Louis, in the commission business; Mary Eliza, wife of Richard S. Rowland, lawyer of Olney, Illinois, born September 9, 1873; Lewis W., born February 24, 1871, died August 17, 1905.
Mr. McCawley is a director in the Olney Bank, of Olney, Illinois. He has much money invested in real estate, and owns several large and substantial business blocks in Clay City. At one time he was the owner of three thousand acres of land, but .he has disposed of the greater portion of this as it required too much of the time that he desired to devote to his other interests. His wealth is the result of his own thrift and enterprise. He was compelled to enter the battle of life at a very early age, receiving a limited education. The subject's father was blind for twenty years previous to his death, and dutiful son that he was, Mr. Mc-Cawley gave him the most tender attention. The subject belongs to both the Masons and Odd Fellows' lodges, and in politics is a Democrat. He was the candidate of his party for State Senator ten years ago, but the district being strongly Republican, was defeated with the rest of the ticket. Mr. Mc-Cawley was the first Baltimore & Ohio ticket agent at Clay City.
The subject is a man of commanding presence, intellectual features, with a kindly and genial disposition, and is held in high esteem by the people of Clay City, regardless of class or condition. Few men have done as much toward the material progress of this community. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--Pub. 1909
Hon. Harvey D. McCollum-- Clay county figures as one of the most attractive, progressive and prosperous divisions of the southern part of Illinois, justly claiming a high order of citizenship and a spirit of enterprise which is certain to conserve consecutive development and marked advancement in the material upbuilding of this section. The county has been and is signally favored in the class of men who have controlled its affairs in official capacity, and in this connection the subject of this review demands representation, as he is serving the locality faithfully and well in a position of distinct trust and responsibility, being the Representative in the State Legislature, having been elected to the Lower House in the fall of 1908, among the youngest members of that body ; but while the youngest, he is far from the least important. On the contrary he is an active, vigilant and potent factor in that honored body. He has achieved 'a brilliant record at the bar, while yet a young man, and to such as he the future augurs much in the way of success and honor.
Harvey D. McCollum was born in Louisville, Clay county, Illinois, March 13, 1879, and he early decided to try his fortune with his own people, rather than seek uncertain fortune in other fields, as so many of his early companions have done. He is the son of James C. McCollum, also a native of Clay county, now residing in Louisville, retired, being one of the founders of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Louisville, and who is now one of its directors. James C. McCollum, grandfather of the subject, was a native of Kentucky, and the subject's greatgrandfather, Alexander McCollum, was one of the six men killed at the battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812, this battle having been fought in 1815, and his name is mentioned in President Roosevelt's history of naval battles.
Members of the McCollum family were among the early settlers of Clay county and they have been prominently identified with its history ever since the pioneer days, having always taken a leading part in the development of the community in every way. Robert McCollum, uncle of the subject of this sketch, has lived in this county for a period of seventy-five years, is one of the oldest living pioneers of the county. The mother of the subject, a woman of many beautiful attributes, was known in her maidenhood as Fanny Long, a daughter of Darling Long, an old settler of Clay county. She is still living. To Mr. and Mrs. J. C. McCollum four children were born, our subject being the only survivor.
Our subject was reared in Louisville where he attended the high school from which he graduated, having gained a good common school education, for he was ambitious and applied himself in a very careful manner to his studies, outstripping may of the less ardent plodders. Not being satisfied with what learning he had acquired up to this point, he attended the University of Illinois, taking the literary and law courses, in which institution he remained for six years, graduating in 1901, after making a splendid record for scholarship. After completing his course in the university, Mr. McCollum returned home and at once began the practice of law, his success being instantaneous. He at once attracted the attention of the political leaders of the county, and he was the nominee of the Democratic party for County Judge in 1902, and while he headed his ticket, was defeated; however, the splendid race he made gave proof of his high standing with the people of Clay county and forecasted future victories. He formed a law partnership that year with A. M. Rose, which continued until Mr. Rose was elected to the circuit bench. Mr. McCollum was appointed Master in Chancery for two terms, serving with much credit and satisfaction from 1904 until 1908.
He is at this writing practicing law with John W. Thomason, having formed a partnership, which still exists, in January, 1907. It is generally regarded as one of the strongest law firms in this or adjoining counties, and their office is always a busy place, their many clients coming from all over the district. As already stated, our subject made a successful race for the Legislature during the last election (1908), which event caused general satisfaction throughout the county, not only from friends, but members of other parties, for everyone recognized Mr. McCollum's ability and fidelity to duty, therefore they know their interests will be carefully guarded by him.
Mr. McCollum is unmarried. In his fraternal relations he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks No. 926, at Olney, the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen, and Masonic Order at Louisville. Mr. McCollum is not a man who courts publicity, yet it must be a pleasure to him, as is quite natural, to know how well he stands with his fellow citizens throughout this district. The public is seldom mistaken in its estimation of a man, and had Mr. McCollum not been most worthy he could not have gained the high position he now holds in public and social life. Having long maintained the same without any abatement of his popularity, his standing in the county is perhaps now in excess of what it has ever been. He has, by his own persistent and praiseworthy efforts, won for himself a name whose luster the future years shall only augment. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--1909
Robert McCollum, Sheriff, Louisville, was born in Washington County, Ind., November 17, 1830, and is a son of James McCollum (deceased), a native of Crab Orchard, Ky., and born in the year 1801. James McCollum' s father was a soldier in the war of 1812. Our subject was brought to Clay County by his parents in 1833. He was brought up on the farm and attended the common schools.
In March. 1853, he married Mary E., daughter of Joseph Rader, a native of Virginia. Mrs. McCollum was born in East Tennessee. They have eight children- -Jonathan T., Thomas J., Frances G, America, Gladys, Minnesota, George B. and Tennessee Ann. Mr. McCollum held the office of Supervisor for Hoosier Township for four years, and was elected Sheriff of Clay County in November, 1882. He owns a farm of 250 acres in Hoosier Township, and is a farmer by profession. When the McCollums came to this county, there were no mills here, and they were obliged to go to Vincennes, Ind., to obtain their grinding, a distance of sixty miles.
Our subject well remembers many pioneer incidents. His father took him when a boy to the Circuit Court, both riding the same horse. They rode up to the door of the court house and sat there on the horse and witnessed the proceedings, the house being too small to admit any spectators. He also well remembers the first bridge built across the Little Wabash at Louisville. Mr. McCollum is a member of the Baptist Church. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
James C. McCollum, Supervisor for Louisville Township, furniture dealer and undertaker, Louisville, was born in Clay County August 9, 1844, and is a son of James McCollum (deceased). He spent his life on the farm until 1867, when he came to Louisville and engaged in business. He was married, in 1875, to Mary F. Long, daughter of Darling Long (deceased). They had two children, one living, Harvey, born March 13, 1879. Mr. McCollum owns a farm of 120 acres in Hoosier Township. He is a member of the Odd Fellow and Masonic fraternities. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Henry McElyea, one of the pioneers of Clay County, Ill., was born May 3, 1815, in Montgomery County, Tenn. The ancestors came to the United States from Ireland, though of Scotch origin. His great-grandfather was the first representative of the name in this country. He settled in the East.
John McElyea, father of Henry, was born in Virginia, and was a son of Patrick McElyea. John McElyea married in East-Tennessee to Miss Sarah Boone, daughter of Hezekiah Boone, an own cousin to the famous Daniel Boone, of Kentucky fame. Her immediate ancestors were from England and "Wales and came in the colonial days to this country, settling in Washington City. Sarah, the mother of Henry McElyea was born iu Virginia. John McElyea was a soldier in the war of 1812, had a family of twelve children, and both he and his wife died many years since in Orange County, End., where they settled in 1828.
Henry is the ninth of this family, and the only one now living. He grew to manhood in Orange County, Ind., where, December 2, 1836, he married Miss Elizabeth Miller, a daughter of Jacob Miller and Elizabeth Liston. Jacob Miller
was a native of Tennessee, and Elizabeth of Kentucky. They were married in Indiana, and reared a family of ten children, all of whom grew to maturity. Elizabeth McElyea was the fourth of this family, and was born July 20, 1819, in Orange County, Ind.
Mr. and Mrs. Elyea have been blessed with eleven children, but three, however, survive Andrew J., a resident of Songer Township, Clay County, the father of six children; Jacob, born August 7, 1853, in Clay County, Ill., and now a resident of Harter Township, married to his second wife Phoebe E. Anderson, September 4, 1879; he has three children Effie, the issue of former marriage was born October 14,1871; Otto Merritt, born September 9, 1880; and Rebecca A., born August 13, 1883. Lucinda Ellen, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth McElyea. was born September 18, 1857, and married, September 12, 1878, to George Anderson, of Wayne County, Ill. They have two children.
Mr. McElyea came to Clay County in 1849, and settled near Oskaloosa in Songer Township, where he lived until 1871. when he removed to his present home in Harter Township. He is a man of acknowledged honesty; both he and his venerable wife having been members of the Christian Church for nearly forty years. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
E. McGilton, lawyer, Clay City, was born in Belmont County. Ohio. January 6, 1838, and is a son of Philip and Hannah (Perkins) McGilton. The father was born in Ohio, and died when subject was but four years of age. The mother was a native of Belmont County, that State, her father having come from Scotland in an early day. To her were born three children, of whom subject was the second, and the only one now living. Jehu, one of the children, died in Andersonville Prison in 1864.
Mr. McGilton's education was obtained in both the free and subscription schools of his native county. At the age of fifteen, he commenced to learn the shoe-maker's trade, and followed it until 1859. In that year he commenced to read law with Mr. Eli Headlay, of Cameron, Monroe Co., Ohio. He studied with that gentleman until October, 1861, when he was admilted to practice in the courts of Ohio.
He soon after came to Clay City, Ill. where he has since resided. He is the only resident attorney at this point, and practices in Justices', County and State Courts. Mr. McGilton has been married three times. The first marriage took place in Monroe County, Ohio, in January, 1860. The bride was Miss Mary Jane Cathell, a daughter of Putnam Cathell, a native of New Jersey. To this lady were born three children, two of whom are now living Charles A. and Laura B. She died in November, 1870. On December 15, 1872, he was married the second time to Miss Rachel Brummet, a daughter of Lewis Brummet, of Indiana. This union resulted in two children, both of whom are now dead, and the mother also died in the fall of 1876.
Mr. McGilton was married the third time, in Clay City Township, on August 10, 1878, to Miss Phoebe Chaney, a daughter of Abel and Christina Chaney. Both parents were natives of Pennsylvania. Two children blessed this marriage, one of whom, Leonidas L. , is now living. This child was born on August 20, 1882.
Subject has been identified with the Democratic party through life. He has not been a seeker for office, but has given his attention principally to his own affairs. He has however served a number of terms as Town Clerk and is also Notary Public.
He is connected with the Southern Methodist Church, and is also a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 384, I. O. O. F.; is at present serving as Noble Grand of the lodge.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
James McKinney, farmer, P. O. Sailor Springs, is a native of Wilson County, Tenn., and was born April 26, 1812. His father, Jeremiah McKinney (deceased) was a native of Virginia. Our subject was left an orphan when only three or four years old, and was brought up by his uncle, Elijah Wammack, who resided also in Wilson County. James enjoyed very limited educational advantages, but had to perform much hard labor; to use his own words: " I had a very hard row to peddle." He came to this county in 1830, where he has since resided. As a farmer and stock-raiser, he has been eminently successful, and now owns about 400 acres of land.
He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war in 1832, under Capt. John Onstott and Gen. Pope. His Lieutenants were Henson and Moore. In the early days, he saw many Indians here, but they were peaceable and quiet. He also saw and killed many deer, wild eats, catamounts and panthers. He also saw several bears; he killed three wild cats in one day. He has been a valued and useful citizen all through life. For several years he held the office of Supervisor for Pixley Township.
Mr. McKinney was married in October, 1835, to Elizabeth Berry, daughter of Thomas Berry, an early settler of Clay County. They had three children, all deceased. Mrs. McKinney died in February, 1839, and the following fall he married Mary, daughter of Dugal Campbell. By her he had eleven children, of whom but two are living Jeremiah and John A. Two sons, James K. and Charles B., died after grown. Mrs. McKinney died, and he married Mrs. Mary Lutz for his third wife, who is his present companion. She had one child by her first husband Diana Lutz. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Cameron McKnight, farmer, P. O. Ingraham, was born October 7, 1828, in Lawrence County, Ind. He is a son of William A. McKnight, born 1800, in North Carolina. In 1811, he came to Indiana, and in 1835 he removed to Clay County, Ill., where he bought land and improved it.
He was one of the first to settle in that part of the county, and was a man of a great deal of energy and ability. He died in this county in the spring of 1862, from wounds received at the hands of robbers on the night of October 1, 1861, in Bible Grove Township.
The grandfather of our subject was Roger McKnight, a native of North Carolina; he died in Indiana. Rebecca (Erwin) McKnight was the mother of Cameron McKnight. She was born 1804, in Lawrence County, Ind. She died 1843, in Clay County, Ill. Eight children called her mother, of whom five are now living.
Our subject received only about six months schooling in his life. In early life he was fond of the sport and spent considerable leisure time in hunting, and even now will devote some time each year to a hunting trip, generally going south to Arkansas.
His father gave him forty acres of land, and in 1850 he bought 160 himself, and on these 200 acres he settled just after he was married to Rebecca Fields, a native of Indiana, who died in April, 1877, leaving eight children, viz., Sarah C. Harmon, Austin R., Cynthia Moore, Millard F., Jehu L., Lyman T.. Homer B. and Laura. Mr. McKnight's second wife is Mrs. Martha Turner, born February 3, 1832, in Orange County, Ind. She is a daughter of Francis M. and Elizabeth (Reed) Moore. The following six children are by her first husband, Mr. B. H. Turner: Francis M. , Joseph B., Sarah E., Jessie D. Odell. William S., and Ida M.
Mr. and Mrs. McKnight are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, he is a Republican. Although he has given his children a great deal of land, he has yet 240 acres of good land.
In early life, at the age of twenty he worked on the Mississippi River, going as far north as St. Paul, Minn., where he worked fifteen months in the pineries, returning in 1849, after an absence of twenty- five months, to Clay County, with which he has been identified ever since. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Roy H. McKnight, M.D.---The grandfather of this popular physician was James A. McKnight, a native of Indiana, who became an early settler of Illinois. He located at Ingraham, in the county of Clay, and prosecuted his trade as a miller, a business of much importance in a pioneer community. His death occurred in 1895, when he was quite advanced in years. He had been accompanied to Illinois by his son, Frank, who was born in Indiana, learned his father's trade of milling, and continued in this calling during the working period of his life, which ended at Ingraham, in 1894, at the comparatively early age of forty-seven years.
Frank McKnight was married in early manhood to Lou Shriner, a native of Ohio, who is still residing in Chicago. The children of this union, three in number, were: Roy H.. Rolla, now at Minnie, Arkansas, and Hazel, a resident of Chicago. Roy H. McKnight was born March 14, 1881, at Ingraham, Clay county, Illinois. After the usual elementary course in the district schools at home, he was graduated in 1899 from the Jefferson high school in Chicago. In 1900, he matriculated in the medical department of the Illinois University and spent three years in diligent prosecution of his studies. After leaving this institution, three additional years were spent at the Dearborn Medical College in Chicago, from which he was graduated in the class of 1906.
After practicing a year in Chicago, Dr. McKnight opened an office in Clay City in the fall of 1907 and since then has continued in business at that place. He had a lucrative practice in the hospital at Englewood, but was forced to give this up and seek the country on account of ill health. The doctor's early career was at once a test of his ambitious determination and a guarantee of his success in life, as he early learned the valuable lesson of self-denial and saving.
When his father died, he was thrown on his own resources at the tender age of thirteen. He bought a pair of overalls and a cap, took a freight train to Chicago and found employment at four dollars per week. All but fifty cents of this went for board, but on this scant surplus he saved money. When by hard work and faithful service he was promoted to a stipend of four dollars and fifty cents a week, he was correspondingly happy. His first work was for the Thompson (bicycle) Manufacturing Company and his next job was with the Western Electric Company. His hard labor extended through seven years, at the end of which time he found himself in possession of the, to him, munificent remuneration of twenty-five dollars per week. In the seven years he saved four thousand dollars, every cent of which was spent in procuring his education as a physician.
It is hardly necessary to add that the doctor is a progressive young man, of boundless ambition and possessing especial aptitude and ability. Dr. McKnight is a member of the American, Clay County and Cook (Chicago) County Medical societies. He is a Mason and holds membership in Union Park Lodge, No. 610, of that order in Chicago.
In 1903, Dr. McKnight was married to Bertha May Hill, of Wheeling, West Virginia, and they have one child, Mildred, born July 1, 1904. The parents are members of the Christian church at Clay City. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--1909
William A. McNown, physician and druggist, Louisville, was born in Brown County, Ohio, November 1, 1852. and is a son of Robert J. McNown, of Dexter, Iowa, also a native of Brown County, Ohio. Our subject was brought up on the farm and received a common school education. He taught school for two years, when he began the study of medicine, graduating with high honors from the American Medical College at St. Louis in 1879, and at once began the practice of his chosen profession in Louisville, he already, in 1877, having established a drug store here. The Doctor is a straightforward, energetic man, and has built up a large practice. His drug trade is also very good, his time being about equally divided between that business and his practice. He was married. April 11, 1880, to Miss Mattie E. Mahaney, daughter of Stephen Mahaney, of this place. Mr. McNown has held the office of School Director for the town of Louisville since 1878, and was Supervisor for this township in 1882. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Alexander G. McQueen, though not a pioneer of Clay County, is one of the thrifty, enterprising farmers of Harter Township, where he has recently purchased a valuable farm, not as the result of any inherent love for the rural pursuits, but as a means of regaining his lost health, which became impaired in military service during the late civil war. It is of his military record which we would speak more particularly. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, November 30, 1830, and is a son of Donald McQueen and Ann Fraser, both of whom were born in : the Highlands of Scotland, the father in 1779. and mother in 1797. These parents settled in Ohio in 1820, where they died the mother in 1851, and the father in 1866.
Alexander G. attended the common schools until fourteen years old when he engaged as a clerk to procure means to continue his studies in college. He took a preparatory course in the Academy at Wellsville, Ohio, and in 1852 entered the Jefferson College at Cannonsburg, Penn.
In 1856, he went to Iowa, where he engaged for a short time in milling, after which he was a partner in a wholesale grocery house in Keokuk. Having disposed of his interest in this business in 1860, he embarked in the general produce and shipping business, carrying his merchandise by boat to the South. The fall of 1860 found him in Memphis with a cargo of goods which was left as a drug on his hands by the suspension of the Southern banks, incident to the election of A. Lincoln.
Remaining in this place until the coming spring of 1861, he was given the alternative of enlisting in the Confederate army, or being conscripted. He chose the voluntary enlistment, but soon after deserted and returned to Keokuk, Iowa, where, in the spring of 1861, he assisted to organize the First Iowa Cavalry, entering the service as a private in Company A. In September, 1861, he was commissioned as First Lieutenant of the company, and promoted to the position of Captain in December of the same year. He was next promoted to the office of Major of the regiment, then to Lieutenant Colonel. Owing to unfitness for field duty by severe illness, he was detailed as First Assistant in charge of the Western Division of the Cavalry Bureau, with his headquarters at Chicago. In July, 1864, he was appointed Inspector General of Cavalry for the Military Department west of the Mississippi River, with headquarters at New Orleans. While on duty here, he became Chief of Gen. Davidson's Staff, and for meritorious service was promoted to the office of Brigadier General of his regiment, which commission he held when the regiment was disbanded on the 4th of March, 1866. Space will not permit us to enumerate the various engagements in which he participated; suffice it to say that he performed valuable service both in the field and in the various administrative positions to which he was called.
He was married, March 7, 1867, to Maggie Falconer, a native of Ohio, who was born September 26, 1840. They have but one child Daniel A. McQueen, who was born in Keokuk, February 11. 1872. Mr. McQueen is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and came to Clay County in 1879. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Prof. Cleveland W. Mills, Superintendent of Schools for Clay County, and Principal of the Louisville Schools, was born in Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio. December 22. 1842, and is a son of Simeon H. Mills, of New London, Ohio. He was brought up in Painesville, Ohio, and educated in the Lake County Academy at that town. As an educator, the Professor has been eminently successful. He uses the most approved normal methods in his work. The writer had the honor of visiting his well regulated and orderly schools while in Louisville. In 1882, he was elected to the office of County Superintendent of Schools for Clay County, and has discharged his duties faithfullv and with entire satisfaction to the people of the county. On the 19th day of October, 1807, he married Miss Arena Oliver, of Mt. Vernon, Ind.. a daughter of William Oliver. This union has been blessed with two children, one living, William H. Mr. Mills taught eight years in the district schools of Posey County, Ind. He then took charge of the New Harmony Schools, Ind., and in 1875 came to Mt. Carmel, Ill., where he was Principal of the schools for three years. In 1878, he took charge of the Louisville Schools, in which capacity he is still employed. He was a soldier for three years in the late war, in Company K, Tenth Indiana Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Pulaski, Tenn., Franklin, Nashville and others. He was taken prisoner at Nashville, and confined at Andersonville three and one half months, when he was paroled. He returned on the steamer Sultana, which exploded near Memphis, at which time over 1,300 lives were lost. Our subject clung to an empty barrel, on which he floated for four hours, when he was picked up thirteen miles below where the disaster occurred. He is a member of the G. A. R. and of the Masonic fraternity at Louisville, and of the Chapter at Mt. Carmel, Ill.. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Israel Mills, stock dealer, Clay City, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, April 18, 1843, a son of Jonathan and Sarah (Downing) Mills. The parents were both natives of Ohio. On the father's side the ancestors were natives of Pennsylvania; those of the mother were natives of Virginia. Both families emigrated to Ohio in an early day.
Subject was the sixth of twelve children, and of this number six are now living. The father is dead; the mother is still living on the old homestead in Ohio. The free schools of Ohio furnished subject his means of education, and he rendered what assistance he could on his father's farm until his majority.
In October, 1865, he came to Clay City, Ill., where he has since resided. In this town his first business was that of a stock trader and dealer. At present he handles about 2,500 head of hogs, 1,500 head of cattle, and about 2,000 head of sheep per year. In 1872, he commenced merchandising with the firm of Bagwell, Evans & Co., and remained in that establishment until 1879.
Mr. Mills also farms quite extensively, owning about 740 acres of land, of which 580 acres are in Clay City Township, the rest in Stanford Township. Of the whole, there are about 700 acres in cultivation.
Mr. Mills was married in this county, September 10, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Bagwell, a daughter of Thomas and Cina (Whiteman) Bagwell, who were very early settlers of this county. Mrs. Mills was born August 24, 1848, in Clay City Township, and is the mother of two children Edna, born July 2, 1870; James B., born October 22, 1881.
Subject enlisted June 3, 1862, in Company K of the Eighty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until taken prisoner at the battle of Harper's Ferry. Was afterward paroled, and discharged October 3, 1862. June 29, 1863, he re-enlisted in Company B of the One Hundred and Twenty- ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry,and served in that company until the expiration of time, March 5, 1864. He re enlisted the third time, September 2, 1864, in Company H of the One Hundred and Sev enty- eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being honorably discharged June 29, 1865.
Mr. Mills is a member of Clay City Christian Church. Mr. Mills is a member of Clay City Lodge, N o. 488, A., F. & A. M. He has been a life-long Republican, and has held numerous offices of trust and profit, having served as member of Board of Supervisors, School Trustee and Collector. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Israel Mills--The streams of emigration, pouring from Pennsylvania and Virginia in the pioneer period usually united in Ohio, the first of the western states to be reached. Marriages often resulted between the descendants of the northern and southern branches and the infusion of blood often produced fine types for future citizenship. We find this working out well in the Mills family which, on the father's side, came from the state of Pennsylvania, and on the mother's side boasted of origin in the Old Dominion state. It was far back in the nineteenth century that Thomas Mills, with his wife, Hannah, crossed the Alleghanies from one of the counties of Pennsylvania. To the same locality in Ohio where he settled came Hugh and Mary Downing from the western part of Virginia. Jonathan Mills, a son of the first mentioned couple, eventually found a wife in the person of Sarah Downing, both the contracting parties being natives of Ohio.
The former, who was a farmer, passed away in the early seventies, but his wife survived until 1894, being eighty-two years old at the time of her death. This couple became the parents of twelve children, the six still living being as follows :
Hugh, a resident of Clay City township: Thomas, a resident of Oklahoma ; Israel, the subject of this sketch; James D., of Carroll county, Ohio ; Josephine Fry, of Tuscarawas county, Ohio; and William, of Tobacco Plains, Washington.
Israel Mills, who was the sixth in this large family, was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, April 18, 1843. He assisted his father on the farm until June, 1862, when he enlisted in Company K, Eighty-seventh Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry in September of that year. Being speedily paroled and discharged on October 3rd, he took a rest until June 29, 1863, when he re-enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the expiration of his term, March 5, 1864. For the third time, he took up his musket as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Seventy-Eighth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war and was honorably discharged June 29, 1865.
In October of that year, he came to Clay City, where he has since resided for forty-three consecutive years. He settled at first one mile south of town and engaged in farming, paying particular attention to the breeding of stock, in which line he acquired a high reputation. With the exception of seven years spent in merchandising, Mr. Mills has devoted practically all his time to breeding, handling and dealing in stock, with a preference for the fine grades in all varieties. Though he has other and varied interests, his heart has been set upon and his attention always turned to the noble animals that have brought wealth and fame to Illinois. He is an extensive land owner, his possessions in this line lying in Clay City and Stanford townships. At present he owns five hundred and seventy-five acres, though at one time he was proprietor of twice that amount.
He is a thorough-going, practical and scientific farmer, well informed in everything relating to advanced agriculture, and an enthusiast in all movements to educate and improve conditions in the farming industry. Appreciation of his qualifications was shown by Governors Tanner, Yates and Deneen, when they appointed him delegate during six years to the Farmers' National Congress. He has held the position of director from his Congressional district for the State Farmers' Institute. He is an able and forceful speaker in the debates at county, state and national farmers' institutes. It may be said in short, that there is not a man in Clay county whose business judgment is more highly valued than that of Israel Mills. A man of the loftiest integrity and most benevolent impulses, he has been an honor and a treasure to his adopted county. Mr. Mills is president of the Clay City Banking Company, and for twenty years has held the same position with the Clay City Loan and Homestead Association. He is also president of the Opera House Company and president of the Clay County Farmers' Institute. He has been frequently honored with positions of trust in his township, serving as a member of the board of supervisors, school trustees and as collector. He has never desired office and never had a lawsuit during all the years of his active business life.
He is a director of the Farmers' and Merchants Bank at Louisville, Illinois. As president of the Clay City bank, he insisted during the panic of 1907, that all depositors should be paid on presentation of their checks. He is a Mason, and Eastern Star and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. September 10, 1867, Mr. Mills married Elizabeth L., daughter of Thomas and Diniah E. (Whitman) Bogwell, very early settlers of Clay county. The children from this union were: Edna M., born July 2, 1870, died April 2, 1905. Edna married Jabez Edwin Coggan, April 29, 1891. Oneson survives her, Kenneth M., born June 23, 1896; James B., born October 22, 1881, married to Annettie Crackles December 28, 1904. One child, a daughter, Ethel, was born to them December 5, 1906. Mrs. Mills is a member of the Christian church and the entire family enjoy the highest social consideration and popularity. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--Pub. 1909
Calvin Moore, farmer, P. O. Hoosier Prairie, was born in Hawkins County, Tenn., September 12, 1821, and is a son of William Moore (deceased), a native of Botetourt County, Va. Our subject has spent his life on the farm. His education was obtained in a subscription school, taught in a log cabin, with split pole seats, puncheon floor, clapboard roof, and a stick and clay chimney at each end.
In 1864, he came to Clay County, where he has since resided. He owns 275 acres of land, resides on Section 14. and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Moore has filled the offices of Collector, Assessor and School Trustee to the satisfaction of the people. In religion, he is a Methodist.
He was married in 1847 to Catharine Jenkins, a daughter of Matthew Jenkins (deceased). They have had twelve children born to them, eight of whom are living William H., Mary E., Louisa M., Sarah J., James A., John C, Andrew A. and Rosella S. One son, Elbert M., died at the age of twenty-six years, leaving a wife and one child. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Will A. Moore. There are probably none of the many worthy citizens of Clay County more worthy of mention in these pages than he whose name heads this sketch. He was born in the year 1851 in the city of Baltimore, Md., where his childhood days were passed, but at an early age removed to Salem, Ill., where he learned the art of printing, soon acquiring a proficiency in the " art preservative."
He then went West, as he says, " to grow up with the country," and while in Missouri was for five years employed on the Herald of Rolla, Mo. From the latter place he went to St. Louis, and was for four years engaged on the Globe Democrat.
He returned to Illinois and located in Louisville, Clay County, where he engaged for eight years in a successful mercantile business, associated with his father, Henry Moore, now of Missouri. Mr. Moore now occupies the very important position of teller in the First National Bank of Flora, III, a position which he fills with marked ability, and with perfect satisfaction to all concerned. While he has been very successful in these various pursuits, he appears to manifest a decided preference for journalism, and is an exceptionally good printer, and looks forward with pleasurable anticipation of some time in the future editing a paper which will be a new departure in journalism.
Possessing as he does to a remarkable degree the merit of honor and personal responsibility, he is destined to prove successful in the future as in the past, and we point with pride to him as an example after which other young men may safely follow. We conclude this sketch, rendered only too brief, but regard it like many others, as forming one of the brightest paragraphs in the history of Clay County. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Robert Moseley, farmer, R R. Clay City. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was born in Buckingham County, Va.. about thirty miles from where Gen. Lee surrendered, on March 23, 1813. He is a son of Arthur and Nancy (Watkins) Moseley. The grandfather of our subject was of English descent, and came to the country in an early day. Our subject was the fifth of eight children, of whom but three are now living, viz.: Arthur, in Virginia; Edward, in Missouri, and Robert (our subject).
The subscription schools of his native county furnished his education. His father died when he was quite young, but he remained at home with his mother until about twenty-two. In 1836, he came West, and first went to St. Louis, where his brother was then living.
In 1837, he came to this county, and worked as a carpenter on the bridges that were then being built across the Little Wabash and Big Muddy. From this he worked at his trade in and around Maysville for a number of years. In 1841, he settled on a farm, about two miles south of Maysville. There he resided until 1847, and then again came to Maysville, and turned his attention to farming.
The next, however, he settled on a farm in what is now Stanford Township; he resided on different farms in that township until 1857, when he came to his present farm. He now owns 200 acres, situated in Sections 11, 13 and 15, of Township 2 north. Range 8 east. Has about 120 acres in cultivation.
Mr. Moseley was married, July 10, 1841, in this township, to Miss Elizabeth Test, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Schooley) Test, natives of Ohio. She was the mother of three children (none of whom are now living), and her death occurred on March 17, 1847.
In this township, on April 18, 1848, subject was married the second time to Miss Susan Davis. This lady was the daughter of John Davis, a native of Pennsylvania, and to her was born five children, one of whom only is now living, John A., in Kansas. Her death took place on January 24, 1857. Mr. Moseley was married the third time on November 12, 1857, to Mrs. Judith E. Dark, a daughter of Jeremiah and Judith (Biby) Webb. Mrs. Moseley was born in Shelby County, Ky., on August 31, 1824, and is the mother of four children (by her present husband), but two of whom are now living Cloyd B. (at home), and Lloyd P.in Kansas.
Mr. Moseley was a soldier in the late war, enlisting from this county in December, 1863, in Company D, of the Fifth Illinois Cavalry. After but nine months' campaign, he was wounded at the battle of Canton, Miss., being shot in the leg, and was honorably discharged.
Our subject has held many offices of trust and profit since he has been a resident of this county. He is now serving on his fourth term as Justice of the Peace, and has also served as Supervisor, Deputy Sheriff, Constable, etc. Mr. and Mrs. Moseley are both members of the Clay City Christian Church. In politics, Mr. Moseley is a strong Republican.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
John Murvin, druggist, Bible Grove. This energetic young business man was born November 1, 1850, in Richland County, Ill. His father, Francis P. Murvin was a native of Kentucky. He was a farmer by occupation, and came to Richland County when quite young, and died there in 1858. The mother of our subject was Rebecca (Hockman) Murvin, a native of Illinois. Five children bless her memory. She died 1867, in Richland County, Ill.
Our subject went to school in early life in Richland Couuty, and at the age of sixteen went to live with his uncle, John A. Murvin, of Clay County, Ill. He lived with his uncle five years, and during that time taught school two years. Afterward he taught school another year.
He was joined in matrimony, April 25, 1872, in Clay County, Ill., to Miss Charlotte Lewis, born April 22, 1854, in this county. She is a daughter of Washington Lewis, a well-known settler of Clay County. Mrs. Charlotte Murvin died November 6, 1880. She was the mother of the following children, viz., Francis W., Harry B. and Marvin E.
Our subject was married a second time, June 19, 1881, to Susannah Littell, born July 9, 1860. She is a daughter of Hiram R. and Martha A. (Boston) Littell. One little boy named Claude blessed this union. He was born September 24, 1882.
Mr. and Mrs. Murvin are members of the Methodist Protestant Church. He is also an IOOF, Bible Grove Lodge, 273. Mr. Murvin lived seven months in Richland County, and then one year in Flora; then raised one crop on his father-in-law's farm, and then went to Ingraham, where he clerked for Osman Pixley five years and four months; then, in January, 1880, came to Bible Grove, where he now keeps a drug store and the post office. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
W. G. Murvin was born October 4, 1891, at Ingraham, Illinois. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Bible Grove and there he grew to manhood, assisting his father in farming. At the age of 23, in the year of 1914, he accompanied his parents back to Ingraham, where he and a brother. J. G., with their father entered into the general mercantile business under the firm name of J. R. Murvin & Sons, in the old Osman Pixley stand where, at one tirne, many years ago, sixty or more, was the site of the largest retail general store in the county.
In 1923 the father retired from business and W. G. Murvin, the subject of this sketch, and his brother, J. G., forming the firm of Murvin Brothers, continued the business until 1926 when they decided to enlarge their business ind opened a store in Clay City, November 13, 1926, with W. G. Murvin, manager, his brother continuing with the store at Ingraham. On January 1, 1929. they moved the Ingraham store to West Salem, Illinois.
At this time the store at West Salem is managed by T.G Murvin and W. G. Murvin in charge of the store in Clay City, both jointly owned by the two and as Murvin Bros. Necessarily we mention both W. G. and J. G. at this time in stating that the business of J. R. Murvin & Sons and Murvin Bros, have throughout their business career been a success they work cooperatively, of course, and both possess business qualities that have been an asset both to themselves and the public. They believe in having what the people want, and both believe in conveying the news to the public in the way of advertising.
The Murvin Bros, occupy the Coggan building here and carry a general line of merchandise from toothpicks and pins to farm fencing and room rugs. As we go along in life we must advance progress a little each year, and each year Marvin's store has striven to do this to the best of its ability. Founded with the objective of giving the people of Clay City and their many customers value and service, they have tried to give a little bit more of these two things each year. Their success in this attempt has been marked in the past and it will be in the future. Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituraries by the Clay County Advocate Press