Robert Walker, Xenia. The subject of this sketch was born in Rush County, Ind., June 6, 1827, to John and Margaret (Anderson) Walker, both natives of Virginia. The father was born February 1, 1786. The mother September 20, 1791. In early life they had emigrated to Kentucky, where they were married October 14, 1813. Some years after this, they moved to Indiana.
His occupation was that of a farmer in early life, but in later years he followed school-teaching, as he was unable for farm work on account of rheumatism. In fall of 1837, they removed from Indiana to Coles County, Ill., where he died February 8, 1840. In fall of 1840, the family returned to Indiana, to Decatur County, and in November, 1848, came to Clay County, Ill., where the mother resided till her death, December 27, 1876. They were the parents of seven children who lived to be grown; three had died in infancy. Only three of the family are now living óJames M., Robert and Samuel.
Our subject was educated in Indiana, and has made farming his occupation during life. September 18, 1851, he was married to Miss Nancy Songer, a daughter of Samuel Songer (see sketch of Jacob Songer). She was born February 28, 1832, and is the mother of seven children living and two deadóJohn S., Margaret (wife of Henry V. Jessup), Josephine Sayre, Angie, Leander, Kittie and Arthur.
After marriage, Mr. Songer settled on the farm one mile north of his present residence, where he resided till 1883, and then came to his present farm, which was the old homestead of Mr. Samuel Songer. His farm now contains 290 acres of land, most of which is in cultivation. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In politics, he is an active Republican. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Joseph Willard Walton, M.D.--Indiana was decidedly a wild and wooly territory when Joseph Willard Walton invaded her borders in search of work and a career. Born in North Carolina in 1801, he left his native state in early manhood to cast his fortune with struggling pioneers cf the West, lie was lucky in his location, as the county he chose was Washington and the land he settled was a part of the alluvial bottoms which in later years gave fame to the White river valley. Land was cheap when this newcomer arrived from the South, and he was able to secure a full section, which at the present time is worth at least one hundred and fifty dollars an acre. It is the region of great corn crops, unsurpassed in the production of fine melons, as well as all the cereals and varieties of fruit.
The old pioneer prospered as a farmer for those days, but wealth was then out of the question for a tiller of the soil, owing to lack of market and transportation facilities, which the prices of products as well as the land placed at a low level. This patriot survived until 1901, and had rounded out a full century of existence before the final summons. He left a son named Daniel R., who caught the roving fever in early manhood and decided to move farther west.
He formed a satisfactory location in Clay county, Illinois, where he farmed until his death, which occurred in Harter township, north of Xenia, in 1862. After reaching Illinois he met and married Ellen Golden, who though a native of the state, was of Indiana parentage. She survived her husband fifteen years and passed away in 1877. Their five children, all living, are Samuel, who resides on grandfather Golden's place, northwest ot Flora; Mrs. Maria Abel, of Santa Rosa, California ; Joseph W., subject of this sketch. Marlow Walton, of North Dakota; Thomas J. Walton, of Eagle Grove, Iowa. Joseph Willard Walton, third in order of birth in the above list of children, was born in Clay county, Illinois, July 5, 1869.
As he was only seven years old when he lost his father, the struggle of this boy towards success was rendered unusually difficult. He was, however, a bright and courageous boy, obedient to his uncle, with whom he lived near Flora, and doing cheerfully the chores that fell to him, while also proving a diligent student in -the district schools. After the usual elementary course, he entered as a pupil in Orchard City College at Flora, and later took a course in Austin College at Effingham. For ten years subsequent to leaving college, he taught school in his native county.
He had, however, always been ambitious to become a physician, and in 1902 entered the Medical Department of St. Louis University, from which he was graduated in the class of May, 1906. On July, of the same year he hung out his shingle in Clay City and has since diligently prosecuted his profession. Dr. Walton belongs to the American, State and Clay County Medical societies and is the official examiner for the New York Life, Prudential, Springfield, Woodmen, Royal Neighbors and other insurance orders. His fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows, Woodmen and Ben Hur societies. He has a commodious office well equipped with all the modern appliances suitable for his business.
The doctor has made his own way from orphanage and poverty to a commanding and prosperous condition in life. In 1893, Dr. Walton married Miss Josie Nash, a native of Clay county, and they have had three children, Violet Evelyn, Daphney Ruth, and Charles Willard, deceased. The parents are members of the Christian church. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--1909
H. S. Watson, farmer and miller, P. O. Iola. Some men can only follow one occupation in life, and that one is the only one which leads to their prosperity. Other men, with large and active brains, perhaps with a restless disposition, but with sterling business qualities, can go into almost anything and make a success of it. The subject of the following sketch belongs to the latter class, and at life's close can look back and say that he has not lived in vain:
Mr. H. S. Watson was born October 6, 1831, in Washington County, N. Y. , of which place his parents, David R. and Lydia (Whedon) Watson, are also natives. David Watson is a mechanic, and is yet living in Livingston County, N. Y., aged seventy-seven years, and is the father of three children, viz.: Henry S., William D. and Maria McKinnon (deceased). Mrs.Lydia Watson died in this township in 1871, after which David R.
W.T.Watson, the father of our subject, was married a second time to Lois A Worthington, a native of New York. She is yet living, and is the mother of Walter Watson. Our subject was educated in New York, and at the age of fourteen went to Monticello, Jefferson Co., Ga., where he clerked eight years in succession for his uncle, Joel S. Graves, who owned one store in Georgia and another across the line in Florida. Mr. Watson also clerked in the Florida store whenever business was pressing.
In Thomas County, Ga., on February 1, 1854, our subject was married to Miss Julia A.Wood, born February 3, 1832, in Southwick, Mass. Her parents, William A. and Laura (Shepard) Wood, were also natives of Massachusetts, and of English descent. Our subject followed farming in Georgia till December, 1857, when he came to Xenia, Clay Co., Ill., where he followed the carpenter and joiner's trade till 1860, when he merchandized one year in Blue Point, Wayne Co., Ill., with discouraging results, and in 1801 came to Larkinsburg Township, where he farmed one year.
In 1802, he enlisted in the Ninety-eighth Illinois Mounted Infantry, Company C, acting as Regimental Quartermaster, with the rank of Lieutenant. While at Macon, Ga., he was detailed as Post Quartermaster, in which capacity he remained until he was ordered home with his regiment, having served nearly three years.
After the war, our subject engaged in the furniture business in Xenia, but after one year moved to Odin, Marion County, where he worked at the carpenter trade, and then went to Medina, Orleans Co., N. Y. , where he remained but a short time, and then returned to Larkinsburg Township, Clay Co., Ill., which he has made his home mainly ever since. During the years 1872 to 1876, he served as County Treasurer of Clay County. In 1876, he formed a partnership with William H. Hudleson, and engaged in the banking business at Louisville till November, 1881, when he closed up and returned to Larkinsburg Township, where he is at present engaged in the milling business, having bought a one-fourth interest in the Iola Mills. He also is interested in farming, and owns 900 acres of land in this and adjoining townships.
Mr. and Mrs. Watson are members of the Presbyterian Church in Flora, and are the parents of two children, viz. : Laura S. Rapp (born November 9, 1854), and Henry E. (born September 22, 1856). Mr. Watson is an active member of the Iola Lodge, No. 091, of which he has been Master. He is identified with the Republican party, has filled many township offices, and is at present President of the Board of Supervisors. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Anderson Webster (deceased). Among the worthy men who have lived in Clay County, and whose influence was felt in all things that concerned the good of the community in which they resided and who have given wealth and stamina to the county, we count him among one of the first and foremost whose name heads this sketch. Mr.Anderson Webster was a man who meant yes when he said it, and his friendship was sought far and wide.
He was one of those progressive kind of men who did not consider his own interest first when the interest of his friends and his county came into consideration. He is and always will be remembered as a man of sterling worth. His demise, which occurred July 6, 1877, left a void in the social and business circles in Clay County that will always be felt.
As an evidence of his financial success, it is said that he had only forty acres of land when he was married, but at the time of his death owned about 1,300 acres of land, on a part of which, 260 acres, the old home farm, Mrs Sarah Webster, the widow of Anderson Webster, now resides; the other land has been divided among the children.
Mr. Webster was born June 27, 1827, in Indiana, and is a son of Isaac and Margaret (Bell) Webster, natives of Kentucky. Isaac Webster died in Indiana, but his wife and seven children came to this county; they are mentioned in another part of the history.
Our subject was married, September 10, 1845, in Louisville, Ill., to Sarah Fulk, daughter of Andrew and Susan (Fiska) Fulk, natives of North Carolina. He came here in 1839, and died here; she died in Madison County, Ill. They were the parents of ten children, of whom four are now living. Mrs. Sarah Webster went to school in Indiana, and was brought to this country by her parents. She is the mother of nine children, viz.Nancy A. Gould, Jonathan, David, Noah M., Lavina E., William A., Ferdinand E., Mary Ida and Lola E.
The subject of this sketch was no politician and gave his support to the Democratic party. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Noah Webster, farmer, P. O. Bible Grove. The subject of this sketch was born January 31, 1833, in Martin County, Ind. His parents, Isaac and Margaret (Bell) Webster, came from Kentucky. They were married in Tennessee, and after living many years in Kentucky went to Martin County, Ind., where Isaac Webster died from a wound received accidently by an adze with which he was blazing trees in the winter. He bled to death before he reached home.
Mrs. Margaret was the mother of fourteen children, of whom four are now living, viz. Wilson, Thomas, James, and Noah, our subject, who was brought to this county by his mother in 1835. She settled four miles southeast of Louisville, where they lived three years, and then moved to what is now called Blair Township, on Panther Creek, near Jordan Post Office, where she died in 1845.
Six boys besides Noah came with her to this county; of them only Thomas and James, of Indiana, are now living. After the death of our subject's mother, Noah Webster lived with his brother, Sanford Webster, and accompanied him to Texas; returned the same year, 1840. In 1849, he left his brother and went to DeWitt County, and from there to Adams County, returning to this county in 1852, and since then he has lived in this county.
Our subject was married, August 7, 1850, to Rebecca Turner, born November 10, 1830, in Lawrence County, daughter of Ezekiel and Hannah (Taylor) Turner, natives of Illinois. This union was blessed with six children, viz. : Merrit D. (deceased), Celesta E , Effie J., Harrison R., Richard A. and Stella M. Mrs. Webster is a member of the Christian Church.
Mr. Webster is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Mayo Lodge, and G. A. R. To the membership of the latter lodge he is entitled by his service in the army.
He enlisted January 1, 1804, and served till the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Sand Town, siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy, siege of Savannah, Fort McAllister, in Georgia; Duck Branch, Edisto River, Columbia, in South Carolina, and Bentonville, North Carolina.
Mr. Webster merchandized about one year in Louisville. Financially he has been successful, owning now 700 acres of land in Bible Grove Township, where he now resides surrounded by his family.
Mr. Webster has served the pubiic in the capacity of Township Supervisor, and other township and school offices. He is a warm supporter of the Republican party. While in the army he worked his way by his punctuality from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant and Captain. Our subject's life thus far has been a success, and is an example worthy of imitation. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Henry Weiler was born on a farm northwest of Clay City, October 12, 1905, came to Clay City with his parents in 1923 and attended the Clay City schools. After serving Murvin Bros. as clerk in their store here for two years he resigned his position last March and entered into the grocery business for himself with W. H. Banker, buying out the interest of R.E. Duff. Henry, whose occupation prior to clerking in a store was assisting his father in looking after the farm's products. In entering the business game he found it one of pleasure to him and that feature, naturally, is responsible to a certain degree in developing friendship between him and those he served. His desire to be of more service, possibly was partially responsible for his desire to enter into business for himself where he could apply himself in his own way.
Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
Hon. J.W. Westcott, merchant, etc. Xenia, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio March 1, 1828, and is the son of John D. and Margaret (Willes) Westcott. John D. Westcott was born in New Jersey September 12, 1803. February 22, 1823, he was married to Margaret E. Willes, who was born in Worcester County, Md., in 1840 (This date of birth is incorrect. Birth year is 1804).
In 1837, they removed to Illinois, and settled in Rushville, Schuyler County, then to Pike County soon afterward. In 1840, they settled in Jefferson County, ll., where he died September 29, 1850. She was united in marriage, March 1, 1852, to James E. Fergerson, of Mt. Vernon, and died November 30, 1858.
Our subject had made the various moves of his parents till reaching Jefferson County, where September 1, 1850, he was married to Miss Martha Holtsclaw of Jefferson County. He then followed farming and school teaching till 1854, when he came to Xenia. In spring of 1855, he commenced the mercantile business, and has ever since been interested in that pursuit, and is now the oldest merchant of Xenia.
The first goods ever shipped over the O.&M. R. R., to this station, was the stock with which he began business. Till a recent date, he kept a general stock; now, however, he gives his attention mostly to clothing, boots and shoes and gents' furnishing goods, but also has agricultural implements. He carries a stock of goods averaging about $10,000. His attention, however, has not been confined alone to the mercantile business, as he is also engaged in the buying of grain, fruit, etc., and in the milling business, and also farming. Mr. Westcott's life as a business man has been an active one, but that has not occupied all of his attention.
In 1857, he was licensed as a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1864, he was the leader of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in this section of the State, as it separated from the opposite branch of the church; and so prominent was the part which he took that for some years, it was known as "Westcott's" Church in this part of Illinois. He has continually been connected with the conference since 1857, and for twelve years of the time was Presiding Elder. In 1862, he was elected to the State Legislature from the counties of Clay and Richland, and served for two years. In 1864, he was elected to the State Senate from his Senatorial district, and served his term through with credit; then voluntarily retired from political life. On three different occasions, however the delegates of Clay County were unanimously instructed to vote in the convention for his nomination for Congress. In 1880, he was Democratic Elector for this district, and has always taken an active part in every leading political campaign.
His wife died January 6, 1870, and January 10, 1871, he was married to Maria D. Onstott, grand-daughter of Maj. John Onstott, one of the first and most prominent settlers in Clay County. This marriage has been blessed with the following-named children: John W., Flora E., Estella May, Freddie H., Clela Orpha and William F. (deceased). He is a member of the A.F.&A.M of Xenia, and is Master of the lodge. He has been a Master Mason for twenty-eight years, having been made a Mason in Mt. Vernon, Ill. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
William R. Whitman, Deputy Circuit Clerk of Clay County, Louisville. The subject of this sketch was born in Fulton County, Ill., February 18, 1844, and is a son of John T. Whitman (deceased), a native of Harrison County, Ind., who emigrated to Fulton County, Ill., in 1842, and to Clay County, 1852, where he died April 12, 1883. Mr. Whitman was brought up on the farm, and attended the common schools of Songer Township. He farmed until 1879, when he was appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk, which position he still occupies. He held the office of Justice of the Peace and Tax Col lector while in Songer Township. On the 16th day of January, L870, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of James Songer (deceased). They have had live children, three livingóMaud, Clyde and Jessie. Mr. Whitman holds the office or S. W. in the Louisville Lodge, No 196. A. F& A. M. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Benjamin H. Williams, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Clay City, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., April 30, 1816, and is a son of James Williams (deceased), a native of North Carolina, and one of the first settlers of Lawrence County, Ind. Benjamin attended a subscription school taught in a log cabin, with split-pole benches, puncheon floor, stick and clay chimney and a huge fire-place.
He came to this county in 1840, where he has since resided. He began life on nothing, and by hard work and economy has acquired 200 acres of valuable land, well improved. He has been married three times His first wife was Nancy West, who bore him eight children, but one of whom is living, viz., Susan (Payne).
He married Gracie Cooper for his second wife, who had two children, one living, viz., Jesse. His third wife was Cynthia, daughter of JameB Ritcheson, who came to Clay County in 1850. By her he has had four children, three livingóJohn A., Charlotte and Sarah C.
Mr.W. is a member of the Christian Church. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Nathan H. Williams, farmer, P. O. Clay City, was born in Greenbrier County, Va., January 23, 1820, and is a son of William Williams (deceased), a native also of Greenbrier County. Mr. Williams spent his boyhood days on his father's farm in his native county, and attended a subscription school. In 1839, he went to Johnson County, Mo., but returned to Virginia in 1840.
In 1845, he came to Gallia County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming until 1865, when he came to Clay County. He owns 100 acres of land, and lives on Section 31. He is a Deacon in the Christian Church. Mr. "Williams married Melissa Eagle, January 1, 1846, and by her has had nine children óWilliam (killed by the cars at Lebanon, Ill., several years ago), George, Reese and Charley (twins), Mary E., Margaret, Elmer (deceased), Alonzo and John. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Thomas S. Williams (Republican), Louisville; was born February 14, 1872, in Clay County, Illinois; has held the office of City Attorney and Mayor of Louisville; represented the Forty-second Senatorial district in the lower house of the Illinois Legislature for one term; State's Attorney of Clay County for seven years; is married and has three children; was elected to the Sixty-fourth Congress November 3, 1914; re-elected to the Sixty-fifth, Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Congresses, receiving a majority of 16,598 over Asher R. Cox, Democrat, November 2, 1920. [Source: "Illinois Blue Book"]
Thomas A. Wilson, druggist and pharmacist, at Flora, Ill., and son of John and Eliza J. Wilson, of Fairfield, Wayne County, was born in Wayne County February 11, 1819. He was reared to manhood in Wayne County, and in the meantime attended the public schools of Fairfield.
He came to Flora in 1873, and engaged as a druggist's clerk in the store of Dr. W. B. Wilson, in which capacity he worked until 1876, when, in connection with C. B. Rider, he purchased the stock, which partnership terminated in 1878, by the retiring of Mr. Rider, since which time Mr. Wilson has conducted the business alone. He carries a complete stock of goods, and is located on the north side of North avenue.
He was married, in Flora, on the 22nd of November, 1881, to Miss Frankie M. Presley, daughter of M. H. and S. E. Presley, of Flora. She was born in Clay County, Ill., January 25, 1862. They have one childóElecta Wilson, born November 5, 18S2. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Masonic order, and of the A. O. U. W. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are honored members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Flora. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Dr. Wilson C. Winans, druggist, Louisville, is a native of Greene County, Ohio, and was born April 9, 1822. His father, Matthias Winans, was a physician and a preacher, and was born near Maysville, Ky. Our subject attended the common school in Jamestown, in his native county. When yet a boy, he read medicine under his father and his brother-in-law, Dr. John Dawson, afterward Professor of Anatomy in Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Winans afterward attended the Medical Department of the University of Louisville, Ky. He practiced a short time in Marysville,Ohio, after which he purchased a drug store in Cincinnati, remaining in the drug store business there about four years. He then removed to Houston, Ohio, where he practiced and taught school a few years. He afterward went to Hartford, in Allen County, Ohio, where he built up a large practice, remaining there for four years. In 1857, he removed to Valparaiso, Ind. He came to Alma, Ill., in the spring of 1859, and to Louisville in the fall of 1860. He was commissioned Assistant Surgeon in the late war, but had just bought a drug store and did not serve. He still runs a drug, grocery and notion store. He was married, in 1847, to Amanda F. Carlin, by whom he has had four children, two living, Mary (Apperson) and Isa. The Doctor owns fifteen acres in orchard adjoining Louisville. He owns sixty-five acres of land one mile west of Louisville, and five or six houses and lots in Louisville. The Doctor is quite a religious controversialist; he had a newspaper controversy with Rev. R. B. Henry, of the Christian order, on the subject of creeds. He held another anonymous controversy with a gentleman in Georgetown; and another through the papers with a lady (deist) of Flora. He was then a Methodist. The Doctor has always been a strong Union man, and a supporter of the Government during the war, for which he was frequently threatened with violence. He had three brothersóHon. James J. (deceased) once a member of Congress, from Greene County, Ohio, and for several years Judge of that county). Dr. Henry C, of Muncie, Ind. and Samuel J. (killed at Mission Ridge in the war). He also has four sistersóAdelia (widow of Dr. John Dawson, late of Columbus. Ohio), Zerelda (widow of Dr. D. K. Green, late of Salem, Ill.), Clarissa (wife of Dr. W. H. Harper, of Lima, Ohio), and Fannie (widow of Asa Syfers). The Doctor's orchard spoken of above is a young orchard, and just beginning to bear. In 1882, it yielded a crop which sold for $400. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Mathinsey O Witherspoon, of the firm of Witherspoon & Kiely, Flora. Ill., was born November 30, 1823, in Allen County, Ky. He is the youngest of a family of ten children born to Hardy and Nancy (Motley) Witherspoon, who were both natives of North Carolina, where they were reared and married, moving afterward to Kentucky, where M. O. Witherspoon grew to manhood.
He was married. March 23, 1843, to Miss Frances A. Tibbs, daughter of James Tibbs and Martha (Webb), both of whom were natives of Virginia. Frances A. was born January 4, 1823. Mr. Witherspoon, in 1853, removed to Missouri, where he resided until 1863, when on account of the turbulent agitation of the issues of the war, he decided to leave the State, not, however, until he had been robbed by guerrillas of his property, amounting to $2,000.
He then settled in Wayne County, Ill., where for three years he was engaged in milling and lumber business, but in 1866 he went to Xenia, Clay County, where he resided until coming to Flora in 1868. Since the latter date, he has served eight years as Constable, and the remaining years has given his attention to merchandising. He is now the active partner in a grocery business on the south side of North avenue.
Both he and his wiife have been honored members of the Baptist Church for thirty-seven years, he sustaining the relation of Deacon. He is also an ardent advocate of the cause of temperance, and is controlled in his political views largely by that issue. They have had a family of nine children, but eight times has the angel of death invaded their family circle, each time bearing one of their " jewels " to the " farther side." But one of these eight deceased children grew to maturity, viz., William T., who died in 1864, while in military service.
Martha A., who was born January 23, 1855, is the wife of John Kiely, of Flora, to whom she was married February 20, 1878. John Kiely was born November 20, 1854, in Ohio, and came to Flora in 1880. They have one sonóOllie Kiely, born December 11, 1879. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Leonard Wolf, farmer, P. O. Bible Grove, is a son of Anderson and Polly (Ford) Wolf, who came to this county from Orange County,Ind. Our subject received such advantages in schooling as our county afforded at that time.
He spent the early part of his life tilling the virgin soil of Bible Grove Township, and when the war clouds began to show themselves on the southern horizon, he became zealous to protect the stars and stripes, and enlisted September 2, 1861, in the Forty-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company B, commanded by Capt. W. J. Stevenson, serving till the close of the war, participating in the battles of Forts Henry and Donelson, Jackson, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain, siege of Knoxville, Franklin, Tenn., and others.
He veteranized in 1864, and while home was married, February 17, 1864, to Miss Susan J. Wheat, born in Lawrence County, Ind. She was a daughter of Andrew and Rose Ann (Moore) Wheat, farmers by occupation and natives of Kentucky.
Four children have blessed this union, viz., Louis A., born July 19, 1866; Sarah L., March 13, 1868; Cora M., May 31, 1873; and Edith F., April 6, 1879. Mrs. Susan J. Wolf was a member of the Christian Church, and died April 4, 1882.
Our subject was married a second time to Miss Mary E. Utterback, born June 24, 1855, iu Clay County, Ill. She is a daughter of Upton and Barbara (Bracket) Utterbank, natives of Kentucky. Mrs. Mary E. Wolf is a member of the Christian Church.
He is a Democrat in politics; owns forty acres of land, and farms part of his time; is a Constable and is also an agent for the Cobbs & Son Marble Works, Olney, Ill. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
William F Wyatt, farmer and thresher, Section 26, Bible Grove Township, P. O. Ingraham, was born in Greenbrier County, Va., November 2, 1833. His father, Andrew Wyatt (deceased), was a native of Massachusetts, who removed with his family to Braxton County, Va. , in 1834. There our subject worked on the farm and attended a subscription school. He came to Edwards County in 1853, and settled near Bone Gap.
He served in the late war, in Company H, Ninety-eighth Illinois Regiment, and participated in the battles of Chickamauga, and all the engagements of the campaign from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, and on to the close of the war.
He came to Clay County in the spring of 1874, where he owns eighty acres of land, and also follows threshing and carpentering. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Wyatt was married, November 7, 1855, to Eliza A. Hawkins, daughter of James Hawkins (deceased). They had nine children, seven of whom are livingóJames H, Mary E., Rhuhama A., William A., Anga L.. Ettie A. and Catharine M. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails