Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

line
Clay County
Illinois

Genealogy and History

line

 


History of Clay County

Records show as early as 1818 that a Mr. Elliot laid claim to land in the southeastern part of Illinois now known as Clay County. In 1842, Clay County, named for Mr. Henry Clay, was created from areas of Lawrence, Fayette and Wayne counties with Maysville as the first seat of government. This was most likely due to Maysville’s location on the national road between St. Louis and Cincinnati.

Even though Clay had some early settlers, it wasn’t until the late 1830’s that signs of real growth started showing with the arrival of Judge Apperson, Judge S. Hopkins, Mr. Stanford and Mr. Lee followed by the Tender, McCollum and Cochran families. New development meant changes and amongst them came the relocation of the county seat to Louisville in 1842.

Penetrated diagonally by the Little Wabash River, Clay County is known for its fine Oak & Ash lumber. With over one-half of the county under cultivation, everywhere you look there are fields of Indian corn, flax, tobacco, oats and hay. [Source: www.e-referencedesk.com]


M
aking up the county are Blair, Bible Grove, Clay City, Harter, Hoosier, Larkinsburg, Louisville, Oskaloosa, Pixley, Stanford, Songer and Xenia Townships.


History of Bible Grove Township
History of Clay City Township
History of Harter Township
History of Louisville Township
History of Oskaloosa Township
History of Songer Township
History of Stanford Township
History of Xenia Township


Community Pictures



HOME

HOME

© Genealogy Trails