Local history more than any other commands the most interested attention, for the reason that it is a record of events,
in which we have a peculiar interest, as many of the participants traveled tho rugged and thorny pathway of life as our companions, acquaintances and relatives. The township of Stanford, which forms the subject of the following pages, is a somewhat diversified and broken body of land, lying a little east of the central part of the county. The following townships form its boundaries:
Hoosier on the north, Clay City on the east, Wayne County on the south and Harter on the west, and comprising under the Congressional survey the whole of Town 3 north and one-half of Town 2 north, Range 7 east. Originally a large part of the township formed part of Maysville Precinct, but in 1802 the present township was given the name of Stanford, in honor of one of the oldest families in tho township. Tho surface of the township is somewhat varied. On the north it is very low, and swampy along the Little Wabash. In the central portion, it is somewhat high and rolling and this portion of the township consists of a long, undulating prairie extending from southeast to northwest, forming a part of the famous ''Long Prairie." This prairie contains the best farming and grazing land of the township. It is from three to four miles in width and extends clear across the township. In the southern portion of the township the land is also low and swampy along the banks of Elm Creek. A portion of this part of the township is somewhat rolling however, the bottom land lying in patches of small extent.
Originally from a half to three- fourths of the township's area consisted of timber land. A part of this has of late years been cleared and brought into cultivation. A large amount of valuable timber was cut down and wasted in an early day. Still there is quite an amount in existence, especially in the northern part of the township, along the banks of the Little Wabash River. Here it is to be found in abundance, and consists mostly of the following varieties: Walnut, oak (of several different kinds, among them being pin, red and water oak), sycamore, hickory, ash, etc., with a thick growth of underbrush, chiefly hazel.
The timber in the southern portion of the township has been cleared away to a considerable extent, and the land thus cleared forms very fair farming land. The soil of the prairie land is mostly of light color, and in some places of a white clayey nature. In the north and south, the soil is a black loam, interspersed with clay. As an agricultural district, this division of the county is as good and better than its sister townships, especially in the prairie land. Large crops of corn, wheat and other cereals are raised. Of late years, a good deal of attention has been paid to stock-raising. Also in the last few years many of the better class of farmers are devoting considerable attention to horticulture, and especially to the culture of the apple.
The Ohio & Mississippi Railroad passes through the township, and although there has been no town in the township, yet it has been the means of developing its resources by bringing its rich farming lands into easy communication with towns both on the east and west. The chief stream of the township is the Little Wabash, which enters its confines near the northwest corner in Section 6, and flows in an easterly course about two miles. Then making considerable of a turn, continues its course in a southeasterly direction, until it reaches the farm of Mr. Trimble in Section 12, where it makes a horseshoe bend. It flows from there in a northeasterly course, and crosses the eastern boundary in Section 12. It is a running stream all the year, and during certain seasons it becomes a raging torrent, frequently overflowing its banks for considerable distances, on either side, and sometimes does a great deal of damage.
The chief tributary of the Little Wabash is Buck Creek. It is the third stream in size in the township, flowing in a general easterly direction, and empties into the Little Wabash in Section 10. Elm Creek, the second stream in size in the township, traverses the territory in a general southern direction. It enters the township in Section 19, and continues southeasterly until it reaches the center of Section 30. From that point it continues almost due south until it crosses the county. Its main branch is Seminary Creek, which empties into it from the west. Little Muddy, in the extreme northeast, and Raccoon Creek, in the extreme southwest, are the other streams in the township worthy of mention.
The early roads through the woods and over the hills and prairies of this township were mere paths and Indian trails, and afterward improved by the people and made into highways. The first road that was legally surveyed and established in the county.passed through the central portion of the township in an easterly direction. It was known as the old State road, and now as the Clay City & Flora road. As early as 1810 it was an old Indian trace. Surveyed by the State about 1818, it has been in use ever since. Although the original route has been changed some since, it is still about the same road that over which, in a very early day, the tide of emigration poured toward the West.
The first white man who broke the solitude of nature within the present limits of Stanford was Moses Berry, one of the oldest pioneers of Clay County. He settled a little north of the central part of the township, near the Little Wabash, about the year 1820, and made a small improvement in Section 14. the land where he lived now forming part of the Joe Beard farm. He came from Virginia. After living a short time by himself, his two brothers. Isaac and William, arrived. They only lived a short time in this township, and then William went to Wayne County, where he lived until his death. A son of his, C. R. Berry, is now living in the southeast part of the township. Isaac emigrated to the northwest part of the State.
Muses was again left alone, and resided by himself until about 1828, when William Duff, N. H. Duff and Richard Apperson came to this county. Duff bought the improvement of Berry's and settled there. The latter went West and was soon after lost track of.
The life and character of this pioneer (Duff) deserves more than a passing notice. He was born in Washington County, Va., in about 1800, and his youth and early manhood was spent in his native State. Marrying a Miss McSpadden, he soon after came to this county, accompanied by his cousins, David D. and N. H. Duff. The two latter settled in old Maysville, where they turned their attention to mercantile pursuits. William, however, being fitted more for the life of a hunter and trapper, came to this township. A large amount of his time was spent in fishing in the Little Wabash, and hunting in the surrounding forests.
In later years, however, he turned his attention to farming, and finally entered eighty acres of land on which he resided until his death in 1851. He was a man of sterling integrity, although not a professed Christian, and was well and favorably known throughout the county during the earlier days of its history. 'He left a wife and some seven children, who, a short time after his death, removed to Northern Alabama. Two of the sons subsequently perished in the rebellion, but the remainder of the family are still living there. N. H. Duff, or as he is more commonly known Judge Duff, first came to this county in 1820 with his brother David; but in 1822 he moved into Stanford Township and settled on the farm now owned by J. M. Chaffin.
As this man afterward made a very important figure in the history of this county, we deem it best to insert a brief sketch of his life at this point: Judge N. H. Duff was born in Washington County, Va. , on March 25, 1808. He was a son of John and Mary (Dryden) Duff. The father was a son of Samuel Duff, who came from Ireland to this country some time prior to the Revolution. He brought with him his wife, Barbara, who was also a native of Ireland, and settled first in Pennsylvania. There his sons John and William were born, and when John was quite young the father moved to Washington County, Va. There the grandmother died in 1812, and the grandfather in 1818.
John grew to manhood, and there married. His wife was a native of England. To them were born nine children, of whom Nathaniel H. was the seventh. Judge Duff remained at home with his father until twenty-one, having in that time received but a limited education. He then commenced to learn the trade of a blacksmith. He thon came to this county with his brother David, on whose farm he worked for some time. After remaining here a year, he returned again to Virginia, and worked a year on his father's farm.
In 1830, he with his cousin William, came to this county. William, as stated above, immediately settled in Stanford. But Judge Duff settled in Maysville, and worked at his trade. His health finally failed him and he was compelled to quit the business. He next farmed near Maysville for two years, and then moved into what is now this township. He first entered eighty acres of land. This he afterward increased to 120 acres.
On this farm he remained until 1843, and then sold to John L. Apperson. From there he removed to a farm about two miles northwest, now owned by R. F. Duff. On this farm he remained until 1848, and then came to Maysville and purchased the store of David Duff, which he continued for seven years. He then came to the new town of Clay City and went into partnership with Robert E. Duff. He merchandized here for some little time, and then turned his attention to stock-raising. For some vears he has been living: a retired life, and is now making his home with his daughter. Mrs. J. B. Figg.
In the political history of this county, Judge Duff has been a prominent figure. In 1851. he was elected to the office of County Judge, his associates being Loofboro and Davis. He served in this capacity until 1862, when the township organization came into effect. He was next elected the first Justice of the Peace of Clay City Township, and served in that capacity three terms. He was also a member of the Board of Supervisors for two or three years. A more extended mention of the Judge's private life will be found in the sketch of his son, R. F. Duff, of Clay City Township.
Apperson pre-empted land adjoining the farm of Duff in Section 14.
The land thus entered now also forms part of the Joe Beard farm. He resided there until his death iu 1860. One of his daughters was the first wife of Judge N. H. Duff, of Clay City. Another married Thomas Ausbrook, who afterward settled on an adjoining farm.
The first settlement to be made on the prairie was that of James L. Wickersham. He came from Kentucky about 1830, and made an improvement in Section 23. This man was an odd genius. After building a rude cabin, he turned his attention to hunting, from which he derived most of his subsistence, and many are the stories told of his encounters with the beasts of the forest. He professed to understand the curative properties of the different herbs, and was a true specimen of what Eggleston calls a " corn doctor."
He was also somewhat of a pettifogger, and later on in the history of the county he practiced in the Justices' courts.
At present, there are none of his descendants now living here. He finally sold out his improvement to Elisha Weller, who came from Kentucky about 1835. The latter lived on that place for some time, and then purchased the farm that Duff had been living on. From there he finally moved to Winterset, Iowa, and from there to California, where he is still living.
About 1838, John Baylor and Jonas Bissey, two Pennsylvania Dutchmen, came to this township and settled in the southeast part. Baylor settled in Section 1 of Township 2 north, and finally became one of the foremost farmers of the township. He finally died in 1879. Two of his sons, J. M. and David, are still living in the township. They settled in the adjoining section. He was a carpenter by trade, but did not follow it after his arrival here. He built a cabin, but died a year or two after his arrival here. A son of his, H. J. Bissey, is living on a farm adjoining the one on which his father settled.
Some time in the same year, Aaron Finch came from Indiana to this township and settled in Section 35. There he lived until his death in 1860. A son of his, John E. Finch, lived on the farm until about 1878, when he also died The son's widow is now the wife of John Blacklidge of Clay City.
Probably the most important family of pioneers in this section of the country was that of the Stanfords, after whom the township is now named. The first of the family came here in 1838, and the name continues to hold a respectable place in the county. The family consisted of six brothers— Samuel, David, William, Mordecai, Isaac and Abraham—and the mother. T
he first to come here was Samuel, in 1838, followed by David and Isaac; then in 1839 by the widow with the two younger children, Mordecai and William, and in 1841 by Abraham. The father John Stanford, and the mother, Bessie Austin, were both natives of Maryland. The grandfather Stanford came from England in a very early day, and settled in that State, and there the father and mother were married. From there they went to Armstrong County, Penn., and there the three older brothers were born —Abraham, in 1808; Samuel, in 1810; and Isaac, in 1812.
In the early part of 1817, the family came to Pike County, Ohio, where they settled, and there David was born in 1817; William, in 1821 and Mordecai, in 1823. In 1826, the father died in Ohio, and in 1830 the mother removed with her family to Tippecanoe County, Ind., there making a pioneer settlement.
In 1838, Samuel, being the most adventurous spirit, started out in search of another pioneer country. He came to this county and made a settlement in this township in Section 22, on the old State road. He then returned to Indiana, and told to the rest of the family the news of the new land farther West. And accordingly all the family except Abraham made arrangements to start.
Their journey to the new territory was typical of the journeys of other pioneers to this region. They came in wagons, and their trip was fraught with much danger. Samuel, as mentioned above, settled down in Section 22, and soon became the most opulent of the family. In 1863, he went to Flora and began merchandising. He remained there till 1875, and then returned to his farm in this township, where he died in January, 1879. He was twice married, and his second wife, Rachel Stanford, is still living with her children—Hannah, Newton, Samuel, Orpha and Jane. Three children by his first wife are also living—Mrs. BarshebahEwing, in Kansas, and Charles and Milton in this township.
David settled in Section 27, and was the best known of all the brothers. He was an ordained Elder and local preacher in the Methodist Church, and preached from when he was eighteen until he was fifty-seven. He preached in different places in this county, and was one of the first preachers of the Methodist denomination that held services in this county. His death occurred on April 1, 1870. His widow, Mary Stanford, and five younger children are still living on the old home place. Of the older children, Austin is now in Clay City Township; Lloyd, in Northern Illinois; and Rosman, in this township. The mother, with her two sons, William and Mordecai, settled in Section 2,3, where sho died in 1866. William, upon reaching manhood, settled down near the home farm, and is still living there. Mordecai remained at home with his mother until about twenty-three years of age, and then settled down in Section 25, where he resided until his death in 1872. His widow, Mrs. Rebecca Stanford, and two children are still living on the home farm. Of the older children, Mrs. Mary Jane Baylor is in this township, Mrs. Nancy Lamp, also in this township, and Mrs. Leonard is in Champaign County.
Isaac settled down in Section 8, of Town 2, in the southwest part of the township, and is still residing there. Abraham, the last one of the brothers to come, arrived in this township in 1841, and settled down in Section 22. He is still living on the same place that he entered over forty years ago, at the hale old age of seventy-five. One of his children, Mrs. Eliza Jane Williams, is still living on the home farm, and another, Lewis, is in Clay City Township.
Among other pioneer settlers of an early day might be mentioned the following persons:
Rosman Long came here in 1839 with the Stanfords. This gentleman was born in Western Ohio in 1804; grew to manhood there, and then came to Indiana, where he married Miss Hannah Stanford, a sister of the brothers just mentioned. Long settled first in Section 16, near the seminary schoolhouse, and afterward moved into the Baylor settlement, where he died in 1868, and his wife in 1879. Quite a large family of children are still living—Rachel Bissey in this township, Benjamin in Xenia, Daniel in Harter Township, and Mrs. Rachel Furgerson in Mitchell, Ind.
Two other pioneers accompanied Abraham Stanford to this township in 1841. They were Noble Conkling and David Bates. Both were born in Carroll County. Ind. Conkling settled down in Section 16, and lived there for a number of years, but finally moved back to Indiana, where he died. Bates settled in Section 8, of Town 2. There he resided until 1849, and then went to California, where he finally died. His widow finally returned to this county, and is now living with her son Albert in Clay City Township. John Riley settled here in 1838, in Section 8, and resided there some years, but finally moved to Missouri, where he was lost sight of.
One of the earliest settlers of the county now living in the township is J. T. Bothwell, who came to this county in 1840. This gentleman was born in Athens County, Ohio, September 16, 1816. His father was a native of Scotland, and came to this country when eight years old with his parents, who settled in Greensburg, Va. Mr. Bothwell received an education in the subscription schools of Ohio, and afterward learned the trade of a journeyman tailor.
This vocation he followed for some years in different parts of Ohio, and in November, 1840, he came to Maysville and followed his trade there for some time. He then opened a stock of merchandise, and was soon after appointed station agent for the stage company at that point, and also Postmaster. He remained in Maysville following different occupations until April, 1851, when he came to his present farm.
He first purchased 120 acres, and today he is one of the leading farmers of the county. One of his sons, J. C. , is an enterprising farmer of Wayne County; a daughter, Alice, is the wife of Dr. T. N. Lownsdale, of Clay City Township, but the remainder of a large family of children are living in the West.
This comprises the early settlement of Stanford, as far as we have been able to learn, though there may be other names equally entitled to mention in these pages. Their early struggles and hardships and trials incident to the pioneer's life are but a repetition of those experienced by all settlers in a new and uninhabited region. Many daring deeds by these unknown heroes have passed into oblivion, and many of the fore-going list who labored hard to introduce civilization into this part of the country now lie in obscure graves, unmarked by the simple epitaph.
Those of the number who still live little thought as they first gazed upon the broad waste of prairie, the unmolested grove tangled with brush and brier, that all this wilderness in their own day would be made to blossom as a garden. Little thought had they of seeing beautiful homes, waving fields of grain, green pastures and grazing herds, where the bounding deer and crouching wolf then held unmolested sway.
"All honor to these irray old men.
For they've conquered stubborn soil."
As already has been mentioned, that part of Stanford Township lying east of Elm Creek was originally a part of old Maysville Precinct, and the early pioneers of this section of the county assisted the people of the county seat in the administration of the government.
In an early day, especially from 1830 to 1810, a gang of horse-thieves and desperadoes committed many depredations here. In fact, farmers found that even their lives were not safe at times, and no one could keep a horse unless the animal was blind or lame. It was thought and also charged that some of the most influential people of the county were in league with them. When any arrests were made, the prisoners were immediately let loose on straw bail and made good their escape; or, if tried, the court on many occasions found them innocent.
Finally, having seen justice thwarted in so many cases, a number of the best citizens organized a vigilance committee and undertook to put down the gang. It was their custom as soon as a man had been arrested to take him from the jail, strip him to the waist and whip him with hickory withes. One Sunday, a man who was known to be a horse-thief, was seen in the town, and some of the committee started in pursuit. He ran out to the west edge of Clay City Township, and finally disappeared in one of the many little groves that at that time stood southwest of the town. The crowd, which by this time had been considerable augmented, followed him and soon surrounded the grove. A search in the woods, however, did not reveal the culprit, and the crowd were about to return to town when one of the men noticed the thief perched securely in the top of an oak tree. One of the vigilantes ordered him to come down. The summons being refused, a man was dispatched to a neighboring cabin for a couple of axes. These being brought, two of the most prominent of the committee (one of them is still a leading citizen of this township), each took an axe, and commenced to chop down the tree.
The horse-stealer stood it for some time, thinking they would not persevere, but as the tree began to waver, the man climbed down the tree and gave himself up to the officers. The prisoner was taken to jail and his captors refused to allow him to be bailed. They formed a body guard, and watched the jail for nearly three months for fear that some one would rescue him. However, his trial finally came off and he was cleared, the court being held at Louisville. This disgusted the people with the work of a vigilance committee.
Hunting in an early day formed one of the main occupations of the pioneers of the county. Deer, foxes, wolves and many other kind of wild animals were found in abundance. And the farmers were ready to leave everything else if any hunting was known to be on foot. After a price had been set on a wolf's scalp, the hunting of this animal was participated in by both young and old, and whenever a wolf was found a perfect furor was created. One Sunday in an early day, when Rev. Rickersham was holding services in the old schoolhouse that used to stand in Section 25, an old gray wolf with a trap attached to its foot came passing by. Some one in the church saw the animal, and immediately the services were over, and every one went in pursuit of the animal.
The first improvement that a pioneer looks after, having procured a habitation for himself and family, is a mill, a piece of machinery that always accompanies civilization. Meal was first obtained by crushing the corn when dry in a kind of rude mortar made by chiseling out a hollow in the top of an oak stump. The pestle was an iron block made fast to a sweep, and with this simple contrivance a coarse article of meal could be manufactured. A still simpler means was resorted to before the corn had become hard enough to shell, namely, the common grater.
The first mill that was probably patronized by the early residents of Stanford was an old water mill that stood in the northwest portion of the township on the Little Wabash. It was first built and operated by Dr. Peter Green as early as 1840. It was both a grist and saw mill, and was very generously patronized by the people of this region. Dr. Green ran it for a number of years, and afterward sold it to other parties, who continued to operate it.
The structure was finally destroyed or torn down, but another rebuilt, and at present a mill still stands near the same place. This is the only mill in the township of which any record has been kept.
The subject of education has from an early day received a good deal of attention in this township. Long before the law authorizing a system of public schools was in force, the pioneers of Stanford Township took steps toward the education of their youth in the primary branches of learning. Comparatively few of the early settlers were men of letters, most of them having been but children when the matter of book learning in the States where they were brought up was yet considered a matter of minor importance.
And yet these people seem to fully realize the losses they had sustained in the neglect of their own schooling, and were therefore anxious to do the next best thing by making amends in the case of their own children. The first settlers here, especially those in the eastern part of the township, sent their children to the subscription schools in old Maysville, that were taught by William Gash and others.
The first school that was taught in what is now Stanford Township was in an old log cabin that used to stand in Section 25, on land that is now owned by Eli Hawk. It was made of poles, and had been used prior to this time as a habitation by some squatter who had stopped there, and who had cleared a small patch near it. Among the teachers that taught here was David Stanford.
This building was used as a school until about 1852, when it was torn down and a log structure erected in the same place. Among the teachers that taught there were Joseph Godd, Miss Julia Perkins, Isaac Meek and Green Keiser. At that time the attendance in the district was about twenty.
School was taught here until about 1869, when the district was divided, and the districts now known as Districts 1, 6 and 5 were organized. Schoolhouse No. 1, or the Bothwell School, is a frame, and now stands in Section 23. Among the teachers who have taught there are C. M. Pitner, R. T. Fry, J. S. Peak and Will E. Pruett. The present enrollment is about thirty, enumeration about thirty, and average attendance is about eighteen.
The Center Schoolhouse in District 6 is a brick, and was built in 1869, in Section 22. through the instrumentality of Samuel Stanford, at a cost about $700. Among the teachers who have taught there are Charles Pitner, James Ewing, Charles Stanford. Caroline Robenson, William Robenson, and the present teacher is J. S. Peak. The present enrollment of the district is thirty three; males nineteen, females fourteen. Average attendance, twenty-eight.
The school in District 5 is known as Fairview School. This building is also brick, and was built in about 1864, at a cost of about $800.
At present the township of Stanford is divided into eight districts. In each district a commodious building has been erected for school purposes, and the schools are all presided over by competent teachers. Taken as a whole, the position of Stanford as regards education is one of the foremost in the county, and one of which her people may be well proud.
Among the early pioneers of Stanford were many pious men and women, and its religious history dates almost from the period of its settlement. The first preachers were Methodists, and came as one crying in the wilderness, and wherever they could collect a few together they proclaimed the glad tidings of salvation, " without money and without price."
The first religious services held within the present limits of the township were conducted at the residence of David Stanford, who, as we have already mentioned, was a local preacher in this church. A class was organized in 1842; Samuel Stanford was appointed class leader and held the position for over thirty years. The class at one time comprised in its membership many of the leading spirits of this township and Clay City. Among them were Robert Duff and his mother. Polly Duff. Richard Apperson, Samuel and David Stanford, and many others. David Stanford's house- served as a place of meeting, also Richard Apperson' s, Thomas Ausbrook's, and David Duffs warehouse in Clay City. Among the early preachers were Revs. John Thatcher, David Lambert, Blunley Knowles and many others.
The class was finally divided; those living in the eastern part of old Maysville Precinct were organized into a class at old Maysville, from which the Maysville Methodist Episcopal Church originated, and from that, in later years, the Clay City Methodist Episcopal Church.
Those living in what is now this township continued to meet from house to house until the Fairview Schoolhouse was built, and since that time services were held there. The class is supplied by the pastor resident in Clay City. The present pastor is Rev. Prickett, and the present number of members is about seventeen.
In the spring of 1883, a class was organized in the Center Schoolhouse for the people living adjacent to this place. The class now consists of about twenty members. Among them are A. Stanford and family, Frank Lamp and wife, Isaac Stanford and wife and others. Rev. Prickett also holds services in the afternoon of the first and third Sundays of the month. In the summer months, a nourishing Sunday school meets here on every Sunday. Last season the attendence numbered about seventy.
The Harmony Church, of the United Brethren denomination was organized about 1860 in this township. Among the first members of the organization were Asbury Lewis and family, Ezra Kearney and family and Joe Beard and family. The services were held for a number of years in Halterman Schoolhouse. In 1883, the present edifice was erected in Section 5, of Town 2, at a cost of about $900. The present membership is about sixty, and Rev. Gray is the present pastor. Among other ministers who have preached here in late years might be mentioned -Revs. James Smith, H. W. Bradstone, W. D. Hillis, Pleasant Brock, F. R. Bertner and William Ross. A Sunday school meets every Sunday at this church at 2 o'clock. The present average attendance is about seventy-live. The officers now serving are A. J. Chaney, Superintendent; R. H. Pierce, Assistant Superintendent, and Miss Laura Carmon, Secretary.
Pleasant View Class of the South Methodist Church was held first in the Zif Schoolhouse in Wayne County. Among the first members were Rice Barker, Westley Mills, Isaac Wells, Lemuel Wells and Jackson Cline and family. Services continued to be held at this place until 1874, when the place of meeting was changed to the Thomas' Schoolhouse in this county.
In the spring of 1879, the present edifice was erected at a cost of about $1,200. The present time for holding services is on the second and fourth Sundays of the month, at 3 o'clock. The present membership is about seventy-five. Among the ministers who have preached here, the following names might be mentioned: Revs. Preston, Beagle. Mclnally, Brandsether, Sevier, Buzley and Reid.
The present pastor is Rev. Prickett. The present officers of the church are as follows: Trustees- John W. Satterfield, William Taylor, F. M. Marshall, John Holman, John Sunday, Ernest Nagle and Robert Moseley; Stewards, J. W. Satterfield and Hiram Bunn; Secretary, J. W. Satterfield; Treasurer, E. Nagle; Class Leader, J. W. Satterfield.
On each Sunday at 10 A. M. , a Sunday school is held at this church. The school was first organized at the Thomas' Schoolhouse in 1875. The original membership was about fifty, and Aaron Bunn was the first Superintendent. The present membership is about seventy, and the present corps of officers is as follows:
Superintendent, Joseph Sunday; Assistant, John Holman; Librarian, William Taylor; Secretary, John Scruggin; Treasurer, Hunter Eaton.
Olive Methodist Episcopal Church South was first organized at the Baylor Schoolhouse in about 1868. Among the first members were Aaron Bunn, Caleb Berry, Mrs. Jane Stanford, Mordecai and William Stanford. Services continued to be held at this schoolhouse until 1879, when the present church was erected on land donated by John M. Baylor at a cost of about $1,000.
At present, services are held at the church on the second and fourth Sundays in each month. The church now contains about eighty -five members. Among the pastors who have been stationed at this point in past years have been Revs. Beagle, Brandsether, Mclnally, Johnsey, Pierson. Lathrop, Reid. Rev. Prickett is the present pastor. The present officers are: Trustees, H. L. Vail, C. R. Berry, John Baylor, Jackson Bissey, Austin Stanford, Win. Hussleton and B. F. Humphrey; Class Leader, John Hussleton; Stewards, Aaron Bunn and Austin Stanford; Church Clerk, Austin Stanford.
A Sunday school was organized in connection with this church in 1869 at the Baylor Schoolhouse. Aaron Bunn was the first Superintendent, and the attendance was about forty. At present the average attendance is about sixty. The present officers are : Mrs. H. L. Vail, Superintendent; Assistant Superintendent, Miss Abbery Bissey; Secretary, Miss Anna Blair; Treasurer, Miss Mary Bunn; Chorister, Thomas Hickman.
As has been elsewhere stated, a major part of the town of Stanford was embodied in the old precinct of Maysville, but in 1862 the Commissioners of the county having adopted the township organization, the town of Stanford was established and its present boundaries fixed.
On the 1st day of April, the first annual town meeting was held in the Halterman Schoolhouse. Abel Chaney was appointed Moderator, and E. J. Babcock Secretary. The township was divided into four road districts. At that meeting the record also shows that the name of Grant was proposed and adopted as the future name of the township, but as we find it used no further in the records of the different meetings, we infer that the use of the name was finally done away with and Stanford substituted.
At the election held at this time the following officers were elected: Daniel D. Elliott, Supervisor; Stephen Booton. Town Clerk; William H. Chaney, Assessor; E. J. Babcoek, Collector; David Stanford, Overseer of the Poor; James Kinly, John Baylor and William Price, Highway Commissioners; Abel Chaney and John McGannon, Justices of the Peace; and William Rodgers and William Raly, Constables.
The Halterman Schoolhouse was appointed the place at which all subsequent town meetings should be held. The following statement shows the results of the subsequent elections:
1863—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; William Nicholson, Town Clerk; W. H. Chaney, Assessor; J. R. Finch. Collector; Isaac Stanford, Commissioner Highways, and G. P. Ruble, Overseer Poor.
1864 --A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; J. R. Finch. Justice of the Peace; J. W. Cultor, Assessor; J. N. Meek, Assessor; G. P. Ruble, Overseer Poor; C. J. Babcock, Commissioner Highways: David Stanford, Town Clerk.
1865—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; Joseph Peak,Town Clerk; John W. Culter, Assessor; J. N. Meek. Collector: Anderson Kneff, R.H. Kinnaman, Commissioners of Highways.
1866—Supervisor, A. W. Bothwell; J. H.Leonard, Town Clerk; Assessor, J. Baird; Collector, E. A. Travis; Commissioner Highways, A. Kneff; F. C. Petit, Overseer Poor; Justices of the Peace, J. R. Finch and J. R. Brainard; Constables, W. Raly and R. T. Apperson.
1867—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; Lewis Stanford, Town Clerk; Richard Crockles. Assessor; J. W. Culter, Collector; William Davis, Overseer Poor; James Lee, Commissioner of Highways.
1868—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; Owen Stanford, Town Clerk; Lewis Stanford, Assessor; E. A. Lewis, Collector; R. H. Kinnaman, Commissioner of Highways.
1869—James Kenley, Supervisor; Oliver Clawson, Town Clerk; Nelson Murphy, Assessor; William Davis, Collector; Anderson Clark, Commissioner of Highways.
1870—W. R. Lindsey, Supervisor; Oliver Clawson, Town Clerk; W. H Chaney, Assessor; John W. Culter, Collector; James Lee, Commissioner of Highways; Justice of the Peace, John R. Finch; Constables, William Raly and G. W. Payne.
1872— W. R. Lindsey, Supervisor; R. L.Apperson, Town Clerk; Elias Lewis, Collector; J. R. Finch, Assessor; E. F. Riley, Commissioner of Highways.
1874— J. S. Peak, Supervisor; Town Clerk. Samuel Enyart; Collector, David Stanford; Assessor, William H. Chaney; Commissioner of Highways, James H. Morefield.
1875—Joseph S. Peak, Supervisor; George Williams, Town Clerk; William H. Chaney, Assessor; Edmond R. Lewis, Collector; E. F. Riley, Commissioner of Highways.
1876-- A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; G. W.Williams, Town Clerk; E. A. Lewis, Assessor; Elias Lewis, Collector; Ezra Kearney, Commissioner of Highways.
1877—Henry M. Todd, Supervisor; Silas Shriner, Collector; Oliver Clawson, Assessor; N. B. Chalfant, Town Clerk; Thomas Bower, Commissioner of Highways; J. R. Finch and D. W. McCawley, Justices of the Peace; Caleb McDaniel and J. H.O'Neil, Constables.
1878—A. S. Chaney, Supervisor; R. L.Stanford, Town Clerk; E. A. Lewis, Assessor; Silas Shriner, Collector; Scott Dreppard, Commissioner of Highways.
1879—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; W. F. Finch, Town Clerk; Elias Lewis, Assessor; William Davis, Town Collector; Silas Shriner, Commissioner of Highways; E. J. Babcock, Justice of the Peace; Isaac McGammon, Constable.
1880—A. W. Bothwell, Supervisor; E. A.Lewis, Assessor; William Davis. Collector; W. F. Finch, Town Clerk; J. M. Chaffin, Commissioner of Highways; C. R. Berry, Constable.
1881—Joseph C. Petit, Supervisor; Joseph S. Peak, Town Clerk; James E. Lee, Assessor; B. F. Atherton, Collector; A. J. Williams, Commissioner of Highways; E. J. Babcock and E. F. Higginson, Justices of the Peace; C. R. Berry and L. D. Bess, Constables.
1882—J. C. Petit, Supervisor; P. H. Garber, Town Clerk; Z. T. Hardy, Assessor; B. F. Atherton, Collector; Lewis Brissenden.
1883—Silas Shriner, Supervisor; P. H. Garber, Town Clerk; Z. F. Hardy, Assessor; B. F. Atherton, Collector; Thomas Bonner, Highway Commissioner.
["History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884"]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails