Clinton County, Illinois
Frank E. Alvord
FRANK E. ALVORD, a prominent young farmer of Richland County, residing on section 34, Noble Township, was born in Clinton County, Ill., September 27, 1861. His father, Joshua N. Alvord, was born in New York, August 20, 1823, and acquired a good academic education. He studied law and was admitted to the Bar before attaining his majority. When a young man he emigrated to Michigan, and after a few years went to St. Louis, acting as superintendent of construction on the telegraph line along the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad from Cincinnati to St. Louis. He leased the line and operated it himself for several years, being an expert operator. Twelve years were spent in this way, but about 1860 he removed to Clinton County, Ill., where he purchased two hundred acres of land and engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1865, he came to Richland County, locating in Decker Township. He purchased land, obtaining some from the Government, and at one time owned fourteen hundred acres in this county. In 1881, he removed to Missouri and from there to Texas. He now owns a ranch of ten thousand acres in Callahan County. He started out in life by teaching school, but has steadily worked his way upward to a position of wealth and affluence, his good business judgment and tact, combined with his industry and enterprise, having gained him a handsome fortune.
Mr. Alvord was married in Michigan to Louisa Hickok, of that State. They had four children: Helen, wife of Mr. Junkins, of Decker Township; Clara, deceased; and Albert and Henry, whom we will mention later on. In Clinton County the father was again married, this time to Jennie Leavenworth, of Vermont, who died leaving two children: Frank E., of this sketch; and Fred, of Texas. For his third wife, Mr. Alvord wedded Mary Junkins, by whom he has two daughters: Louisa, wife of R. D. Williams, of Texas; and Ella S.
Mr. Alvord served as Supervisor and as Commissioner and held other local offices. He has been a life-long member of the Presbyterian Church, and a life-long Democrat.
Albert Lewis Alvord, who was born in St. Louis January 6, 1853, went with his parents to Clinton County, and at the age of seven came to Richland County. In 1888, he traveled through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, and bought four thousand sheep. After two years spent in Texas, he went to Kansas, returning to this county in 1891, since which time he has operated his farm of one hundred and thirty acres. He was married February 10, 1884, to Alvina, daughter of James L. Shields. They have four children: Ethel, Fred, Harold and Shields. In politics, A. L. Alvord is a supporter of the People's party, and belongs to the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association.
Henry Alvord owns and operates six hundred acres of land, one-half of which was given him by his father, and he resides on section 34, Decker Township. He was born in Clinton County, December 21, 1859, and came to this county at the age of four. Like his brothers, he was educated in the district schools and remained with his parents until he had attained man's estate. On the 25th of September, 1885, he wedded Miss Eva B. Rawlings, daughter of Shadrach and Belle Rawlings, of Olney Township. They have three sons and a daughter: John R., Jay N., Clara M. and Jule H. Mr. Alvord has served two years as Highway Commissioner. In politics, he is a Democrat, and himself and wife are members of the United Brethren Church. The Alvord brothers are among the most prominent farmers of the county, and belong to one of its leading and representative families.
The boyhood days of Frank Alvord were spent in Decker Township herding cattle. At the age of twenty-four, he began working for himself. He went to Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, spending four years in the West, and commencing his journeys in 1885. He has now been living on his present farm of three hundred and twenty acres five years. It is a fine place, containing an eighty-acre orchard and all the improvements and accessories of a model farm.
Mr. Alvord was married February 2, 1888, to Miss Eva Hedrick, one of the fair daughters of Decker Township. Their union has been blessed with a daughter, Ella Frances, born June 21, 1889. The subject of this sketch and his young wife are numbered among the leading citizens of this community, ranking high in social circles. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a supporter of the Democratic party, having cast his first vote for Grover Cleveland in 1884. Mr. Alvord is a man of good business ability, and is recognized as one of the successful and progressive agriculturists of the community. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.393 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
Sterling P. Bond
BOND, Sterling Price, lawyer; born, Carlyle, ILL, Aug. 27, 1862; son of Thomas and Jane (Allen) Bond; educated in public schools of Clinton Co., and Carlyle, ILL.; graduated from Illinois College, Jacksonville, ILL., in spring of 1885; married, St. Louis, Oct. 5, 1901, Ida Jane Alvord. Admitted to bar in 1887 and has since engaged in general practice. Democratic. Representative in Missouri House of Representatives, 1893. Office: Rialto Bldg. Residence: 5957 Horton Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Thomas L. Fekete
FEKETE, Thomas Louis, real estate; born, Aviston, Clinton Co., ILL., Apr. 7, 1856; son of Alexander and Kate (Fisher) Fekete; educated in public schools of East St. Louis, ILL., and Bryant & Stratton Commercial College, St. Louis; married, Jan. 22, 1881, Charlotte J. La Beau; children: Thomas L., Ophelia F., Robert A., Forrest F., George E., Josephine C. Since Aug. 5, 1875, engaged in real estate business; president of Thomas L. Fekete Co., Modern Building and Savings Association; director Illinois State Trust Co., East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. President East St. Louis Real Estate Exchange. Republican; president of board of education of East St. Louis, 1893-95; special tax collector of East St. Louis, 1894-95; postmaster of East St. Louis, 1897-1901, aid-de-camp on general staff of Illinois National Guard, with rank of colonel, 1892-94, appointed by Gov. Richard Yates. Mason (33°), Knight Templar, Shriner; member Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: Missouri Athletic (treasurer), St. Clair Country. Recreations: golf, motoring, fishing. Office: 324 Collinsville Ave., East St. Louis. Residence: 1018 Pennsylvania Ave., East St. Louis. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
William M. Gray
The subject of this review was born in Carlyle, Clinton county, Illinois, March 24, 1860. His parents were William H. and Mary C. (Moore) Gray, the father a native of the state of Tennessee, the mother born in Illinois of Revolutionary stock. The father was born near Nashville, and, about 1851 moved to Illinois where he was married. By profession he was a lawyer and practiced in the courts as a protege of Abraham Lincoln, to whom he was a particular friend, and with whom he campaigned in those early days in "The Prairie State." The Moores were originally from Virginia and our subject's mother was a lineal descendant of Captain John Moore, a patriot of the American Revolution. William H. Gray was born in 1820 and died in 1884 while his wife was ten years his junior and died in 1882, being the mother of three children. Two of these children survive, namely, Emma, wife of S. D. May, of Decatur, Illinois, and the subject of this sketch.
William M. Gray was the youngest of his father's family. The country school house where he was reared was his educational Mecca till his entrance to the high school in Decatur, December 22, 1883, he was married to Fannie S. Smith, a daughter of Benjamin F. and Emily Smith, of Decatur. After marriage Mr. Gray entered the Hamilton Seminary, a theological institution at Hamilton, New York. He graduated there in 1893, and was ordained minister and called to the charge at the Baptist church in Brewster, New York. Later he accepted a call from the church of Fondulac, Wisconsin. He was a hard student and the intense strain upon his eyes caused their partial failure of sight and he was forced to give up his work and seek other fields of usefulness for a time. In 1894 he came to Kansas and purchased a lumber yard in St. Paul, in company with J. W. Hackman, the firm being Gray & Hackman. In 1899 Mr. Gray moved his family to his new location and from St. Paul removed to Chanute where he is now serving as pastor of the First Baptist church, having retired from the mercantile business. Mr. and Mrs. Gray's children are Cleora, Harry B., William M., Jr., and A. J. Gordon. . [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
Editor, politician, postmaster and public-spirited citizen, Edwin Price, of Grand Junction, is one of the most useful as well as one of the best known and most highly esteemed men in western Colorado. He was born at Carlyle, Illinois, on October 27, 1857, and comes of distinguished lineage. His parents, Edwin and Matilda J. (Walker) Price, were natives, respectively of North Carolina and Louisiana. The mother came to Illinois as an infant in the arms of her mother on horseback all the way from her native state, and thus became a veritable pioneer in the great Prairie state, her parents being among its earliest settlers. The paternal grandmother of the subject was a daughter of a Scottish nobleman named Nairon, belonging to one of the old families which are renowned in Scotch history. An uncle of the subject's mother, Simeon Walker, was one of the pioneer Methodist preachers of Illinois and had five sons who were ministers.
Mr. Price's father was a merchant, and in the early days of St. Louis was the assistant postmaster of that city. From there he moved to Carlyle, Illinois, and engaged in merchandising at that town until his death in 1865. His widow is still living, at the age of seventy-six, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. H. R. Bull, of Grand Junction. The family consisted of three sons and five daughters, only three of whom are living, and of these Mr. Price is the oldest. He grew to manhood and received his education in his native town. When he reached the age of fourteen he be-came an apprentice in the office of the Carrollton, Illinois, Gazette, and there learned his trade as a practical printer. Later he worked for a time on the Union Banner, of Carlyle, and in the fall of 1876 came to Colorado, locating at Denver, where he was employed a while on the old Denver Democrat. He then established what is now known as the Merchants' Publishing Company, one of the largest establishments of its kind in the city. In the fall of 1882 he sold his interests in this company and moved to Grand Junction, bringing overland from Delta the plant and appurtenances with which he started the News of that city, the first issue coming out on October 27, 1882, the twenty-fifth anniversary of his birth. It was a six-column four-page paper, and the first one published at the Junction. He has been the publisher and editor of the paper ever since, and was in active charge of it until he became postmaster of the city in 1897. The News is not only the oldest paper at Grand Junction, but one of the most influential and prominent in the western part of the state. It has had much to do with shaping and directing the course of public affairs in this section, and its voice has always been potential for the good of the territory in which it circulates. In April, 1883, Darwin P. Kingsley became associated with Mr. Price in conducting the paper. In 1886 he was elected state auditor, and at the end of his term of two years he went to Boston as manager of agencies in the New England states for the New York Life Insurance Company. He has since been elected third vice-president of the company. In the fall of 1883 Mr. Price was appointed postmaster of Grand Junction by President Arthur, and after serving fourteen months resigned following the election of Cleveland. In 1897 he was again appointed to this office, receiving his commission from President McKinley, and on January 10, 1902, was re-appointed by President Roosevelt. Always a stanch Republican, Mr. Price has been active and zealous in the service of his party on all occasions. His paper was the only one in his portion of the state that stood by the Republican platform in the campaign of 1896, when the silver issue swept so many from their moorings. He has served the city as alderman and in other capacities for the good of the community, and has attended every state convention of his party for twenty years except that of 1903, and been of great service in the deliberations of the bodies. On October 13, 1881, he was married to Miss Lola F. Kennard, born in Maryland but a direct descendant of the John Alden and Priscilla of Plymouth, Massachusetts, who figure so prominently in Longfellow's poem of "The Courtship of Miles Standish." Mr. and Mrs. Price have five children : Lola Eudora, the first white child born at Grand Junction, and now the wife of Richard Meserve, of that city : and Edwin K., Kingsley A., Priscilla A. and Philip N. It should be mentioned that in 1896 Mr. Price was the Republican candidate for secretary of state, but the conditions of the campaign, owing to the silver issue, precluded the possibility of his election. Two years previous he made a single-handed fight against the party managers and their slate to be nominated as state auditor, and only lacked ten votes of securing the nomination. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister]