This map shows the boundaries of Coles County from 1830 to 1843, which included Douglas and Cumberland Counties. The red dashed line indicates the current day boundaries of each county.






NAME OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT

 

FORM OF GOVERNMENT

DATE ESTABLISHED

FORMERLY KNOWN AS

COMMENT

LOCATION

Arena

Seven Hickory

 

 

 

became Fairgrange

 

Arno

   

Plat filed for record March 14, 1855

 

Owner: David A. NEAL.

Located on S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 31-13-8.

Ashmore

 

M-VILLAGE

Plat filed for record February 24, 1855 

 

Owners: H. J. ASHMORE and James D. AUSTIN 

Located on N. 1/2 of Sec. 31-13-11

ASHMORE

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

 

Bushton

 

 

Plat filed for record December 13, 1882.

 

Owners: David BUSH and John BUSH

Located on N. W. 1/4 of N. W. 1/4 of Sec. 7-13-10.

St Omer

 

 

 

 

 

 

Campbell

Pleasant Grove

 

 

 

had P. O.

Sec 16

Cutler's Settlement

Ashmore Twp

 

 

 

forerunner to St. Omer

 

Charleston

 

M-CITY

Plat filed for record June 4, 1831

 

 

 Located on part of the W. 1/2 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 11-12-9

CHARLESTON

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

 

Clara

 

 

 

Dorans

 

 

Coles

   

Plat filed for record October 12, 1872

 

Owner: Dexter S. D. DOLE

Located on S. W. Corner Sec. 31-13-7

COLES

 

COUNTY

Dec 25, 1830

 

 

 

Cooks Mills

North Okaw

 

 

 

 

Sec 15

Cutlersville

Morgan

 

1860

 

never platted

 

Diona

Pleasant Grove

 

 

 

 

Sec 24, on Cumberland Co. border

Dorans

 

 

 

Clara

 

Sec 20

EAST OAKLAND

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

OAKLAND
(CHANGED May 7, 1860)

 

 

Etna

Paradise

 

Plat filed for record August 20, 1860

 

Owners: Daniel R. BLAND and Richard SAYER

Located on part of N. E. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 21 and part of S. E. 1/4 of S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 16-11-7

Fairgrange

Seven Hickory

 

Plat filed for record November 10, 1883

Arena

Owners: A.B. TRIMBLE, J. C. BABBS and J.B. GRAY

Located on S. E. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 11-13-9

Farmington

Pleasant Grove

 

 Plat filed for record May 1, 1852

combined with Campbell, but better known

Owner: John J. ADAMS

Located on N. W. 1/4 of S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 16-11-9

Hitesville

   

Plat filed for record May 21, 1835

 

Owner: James HITE

Located on part of the N. 1/2 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 9-12-1

Humboldt

 

M-VILLAGE

 

MILTON

 

 

HUMBOLDT

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

MILTON
(CHANGED May 7, 1860)

 

 

HUTTON

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

Sec. 10

Independence

East Oakland

 

 Plat filed for record May 21, 1835

merged with Oakland, 1855

 

Located on the S. E. 1/4 of the S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 13-14-10
Post Office - 1833

Janesville

Pleasant Grove

 

 Plat filed for record April 29, 1879.

 

Owner: John FURRY

Located on S. E. 1/4 of S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 19-11-9

Cumberland Co border

LAFAYETTE

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

Owner: Gideon M. ASHMORE

 

Lerna

Pleasant Grove

M-VILLAGE

 Plat filed for record November 28, 1882

 

Owner: Azariah JEFFRIES


Lerna once had a thousand residents 

Located on N. E. 1/4 of N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 10-11-8

Liberty

   

Plat filed for record August 18, 1836

 

Owners: James CLARK, Arthur JOHNSON and Solomon BOYER

Located on S. W. Cor. Sec. 18 and N. W. Cor. Sec. 19-13-11

Loxa

Lafayette

 

 

 

 

Sec 12

Magnet

Mattoon

 

 

 

 

Sec 35

Mattoon

 

M-CITY

 Plat filed for record October 13, 1855

 

 Owners: Charles Floyd JONES, Davis CARPENTER, JR., Usher F. LINDER, Ebenezer NOYES, James T. CUNNINGHAM, Stephen D. DOLE, John CUNNINGHAM, John L. ALLISON, Elisha LINDER, H. Q. SANDERSON, Harrison MESSER, Samuel B. RICHARDSON, William B. TUELL and Josiah HUNT

Located on Sec. 13-12-7

MATTOON

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

 

Middleton

   

Plat filed for record August 11, 1836

 

Owners: Christian SOUSELY and Christopher GROVES

Located about the middle of Sec. 35-13-10

Milton

 

 

 Plat filed for record March 4, 1859.

(CHANGED to Humboldt)

 Owner: A.A. SUTHERLAND

Located on part of the S. W. 1/4 of the N. W. 1/4 of Sec. 4-13-8

MORGAN

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

 

NORTH OKAW

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

OKAW
(CHANGED MAY 7 1860)

 

 

Oakland

East Oakland

M-CITY

 

INDEPENDENCE

   

Paradise

Paradise

 

Plat filed for record August 26, 1836
&
Plat filed for record March 30, 1837

 

Owner: Charles SAWYER 


Owners: Miles W. HART and Thomas BRINEGAR

Located on part of the S. E. 1/4 of the N. W. 14 of Sec. 33-12-7 on the State Road


Located on N.E. 1/4 of S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 8-11-7, on Palestine and Shelbyville Road.

PARADISE

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

Located on part of the S. E. 1/4 of the N. W. 14 of Sec. 33-12-7 on the State Road

PLEASANT GROVE

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

 

 

 

Rardin

Morgan

 

Plat filed for record June 22, 1882

 

Owners: John H. RARDIN, Nancy RARDIN, John T. TAYLOR and Mary E. TAYLOR

Located on part of Lots 1 and 2 in E. 1/2 of N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 5-13-10.

Richmond

   

Plat filed for record August 27, 1836

 

Owner: John HOUCHIN

Located at junction of State Road with Secs. 27 and 34-12-7

Salsbury

   

Plat filed for record January 15, 1838

(became Hutton)

Owners: John HULEN and George K. HARRIS

Located on N. E. 1/4 of S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 9-11-10

SEVEN HICKORY

 

TOWNSHIP

Nov. 8, 1859

HICKORY
(Changed May 7, 1860)

 

 

St Omer

Ashmore

 

Plat filed for record September 5, 1854

 

Had Post Office.
Neighborhood still known as St Omer

Owner: J. W. HOGE

Located on S. W. Corner of W. 1/2 of S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 24-13-10

Stockton

   

Plat filed for record February 8, 1864

(became Loxa)

Owner: B. F. JONES

Located on N. W. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 12-12-8.

Trilla

Pleasant Grove

 

Plat filed for record August 23, 1882.

 

Owner: Jacob FICKES

Located on S. W. 1/4 of the S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 19-11-8.

Sources for this information: 1905 Coles County History, GNIS, Erik Conard



View the GNIS Listings for Coles County
(includes schools, churches, creeks, populated areas, cemeteries, hospitals, parks, etc...
)

Return to the Main Index Page for Coles County