Coles county History and Genealogy
Coles County, Illinois Obituaries
presented by the
Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group

Martha Shrader
Grandmother Shrader -- A Mother in Israel Has Gone to Her Rest After 80 Years of Activity
December 31, 1901
Nearly eighty years at the time of her death on the evening of new year, Grand-mother Martha Shrader died east of Charleston. She was a sister of Joseph Peyton, Esq. She was born in Jessamine Co., Kentucky March 3, 1823 and she died Dec. 31, 1901.
She came to Illinois about 1844, before her brother Joseph came here. She was married to James D. Jones who first settled at the present location of the town of Rardin.
They built a home which was the last house from the Oakland race to Charleston.
Mr. & Mrs. James D. Jones were among the pioneers in Morgan township and regarded as the best citizens among the people.
There were parents of four children, when Mr. Jones died about the first of October, 1847.
The four children are, Moses, now living in Seven Hickory, Phoebe (Mrs. Strope) in Missouri, Martha (Graves) of Shelbyville, and James D. of Parsons, Ks.
Afterwards the widow married Daniel Shrader of Charleston and their children are:
Jonas of Matoon, Joseph of Ashmore, Annie Fuhr of Shelbyville, Ella (Mrs. James Case) of Charles. There were all present at the funeral at Huckaba graveyard when the grandmother was buried Thursday evening, except that Mrs. Shrope of Missouri was unable to come.
James D. Jones, Jr. reached here from Parsons, Kansas, arrived here in time to see the burial.
Probably in Charleston Newspaper, Submitted by
Source #123

Dr. H.B. Vanatta
Newspaper: Mattoon Daily Journal Gazette Monday Feb. 1, 1915:
Obit: Lerna, Ill., Feb. 1--Dr. H. B. Vanatta, who had practiced his profession in Lerna for the last seventeen years and who was one of the most widely-known medical men in Coles County, was found dead on the floor of the reception room of his residence here about 7:30 o'clock this morning. Dr. Vanatta had ended his own life with a winchester rifle, which he kept in his home for hunting purposes. The body was still slightly warm, indicating that the act had been committed some time after midnight.
Before shooting himself, Dr. Vanatta had removed his clothing with the exception of his trousers, shirt and socks. His bed had not been disturbed.
Discovery of the body, was made by Dr. Vanatta's sister, Miss Lizzie Vanatta, about 7:30 o'clock. Mrs. Vanatta was at the time absent from home, being in Sullivan for a few days' visit with relatives. Miss Vanatta had gone to call him to breakfast.
Body in Reception Hall
Dr. Vanatta's body was found lying near the stairway of the reception hall, in the northwest corner of the room, the bullet, a .44 caliber, coming from a high-powered weapon, having plowed its way clear through the head. A considerable portion of the brain was found. Other portions of the brain were found scattered about the room, indicating the power of the weapon which the physician had used in committing the rash act.
It was evident that Dr. Vanatta had placed the weapon on the floor, himself standing near his writing desk. He had fallen backward The ball entered the head through the right temple. The right eye was destroyed no trace of it being found. About all that remains of the head is the face, the skull having been shattered and converted into a mass of flesh, bone and blood from the eyebrows up.
"Thank You, Mother," Last Words.
Dr. Vanatta had been called to Hidalgo, the home of his birth, on Sunday morning on a professional trip. He returned to Lerna on train No. 222, which reaches here about 9:50 o'clock at night. He went to the home of his parents and there took part in family prayers, which were being held at the time. Miss Lizzie Vanatta, his sister asked for permission to go with her brother and stay the night with him. He answered that he wished to stay alone, and as he started to go, his mother said, "Pleasant dreams to you 'Bud' which was her pet name for him, and he answered, "Thank you mother," and walked out.
It would seem that Dr. Vanatta had planned the deed, inasmuch as he had sent his wife and their little child, Harold, out of town for a visit. However, intimate friends of the physician stated this morning that he had been in his usual good spirits during the last few days, with the exception that at times he seemed to be somewhat depressed over his physical condition. To the fact that he had been suffering for several weeks from an ailment of the stomach is attributed the rash act.
Letter to Wife.
Another thing which shows that the physician had made elaborate and careful plans for his death was a letter which he had written and left on a table. The letter, one so large as to bulge the envelope, was addressed to Mrs. Vanatta. On the letter in its proper place were two 2-cent stamps. This letter will not be opened until the arrival home of Mrs. Vanatta, who reached Lerna from Sullivan at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon, coming by way of Mattoon over the Illinois Central.
On the discovery of the body neighbors called in and arrangements were made for the holding of the inquest. Coroner G. M. Cook was notified at his home in Charleston, and he started overland at once for this village. He reached here about ten o'clock. Prior to his arrival members of the jury had been selected and the taking of testimony was at once begun.
The members of the jury selected were J. A. Walker, W. H. Williams, J. D. Huber, G. W. Funkhouser, and E. L. Champion. Coroner Cook and the members of the jury, after going to the Vanatta Residence and viewing the body, postponed the inquiry until after the arrival of Mrs. Vanatta from Sullivan at 2:30 o'clock.
The body was then placed in the care of Undertaker Haddock, who immediately began preparing it for burial. No date for the funeral services will be made until after the holding of the inquest.
Due to Ill Health.
There seems to be little doubt that Dr. Vanatta ended his life because of failing health. His financial condition is said to have been sound, and his domestic relations, according to intimate friends, could not have been more pleasant and cordial.
Dr. Vanatta had attended services at the Methodist Church on Sunday morning, and at this time he appeared to be in more congenial spirits that usual. He apparently made it a point to go from one of his friends to the other and shake them by the hand.
A few weeks ago Dr. Vanatta went to Chicago to consult a specialist regarding the condition of his stomach, which had been bothering him. It is said that the specialist informed the physician that the condition was due to ulcers, a condition, while painful and annoying, not dangerous unless permitted to continue without treatment, and that his present condition was not at all serious. Dr. Vantta returned to Lerna and had practiced his profession as usual. While depressed at times he did not sem to be in that state of mind which would warrant him to end his own life.
However, dispite the fact that Dr. Vanatta and the members of his family were of the impression, given them by the specialist, that his physical condition was due to ulcers of the stomac, it seems that his intimate friends here , as well as fellow physicians, that in reality the doctor was suffering from cancer of the stomach. It is believed that Dr. Vanatta was fully aware of this fact, and that the specialist had misinformed him intentionally so that he would not worry. It is believed that he deemed his stay here on earth would be comparatively short, and that this fact had driven him into that mental state which compelled him to take his own life.
About November 1 last, Dr. Vanatta disposed of his practice in Lerna to Dr. Hale of Edgar County and removed with his family to Mattoon. In that city the physician established himself in a handsom home at 2821 Western Avenue. He had been there no more that three or four weeks when he suddenly announced that he had decided to return to Lerna and continue his practive here.
Dr. Hale, who had succeeded him, went to Alton. Dr. Vanatta was asked at the time why he was making the change so soon and his reply was, "Oh, we are just homesick. We are going back home again."
Born in Jasper County.
Dr. Vanatta was born in Hidalgo, Jasper County, about thirty-nine years ago. When he had finished in the public schools of that village, he entered a medical school in Indianapolis, from which he was graduated. Soon after he came to Lerna and established himself, and since that time, about seventeen years ago, he had been practicing his profession here continously, with the exception of the few weeks he was in Mattoon.
About seven or eight years ago Dr. Vanatta married Miss Margaret Odell, a Lerna young woman. About three years ago a child, Harold, was born. Besides the widow and child, there survive the parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Vanatta, who came from Hidalgo to Lerna to make their home soon after Dr. Vanatta came here. Their home immediately ajoined that of the physician. Mrs. Laura Odell and Miss Lizzie Vanatta are sisters of Dr. Vanatta, they living with their parents.
Dr. Vanatta was several times president of the Lerna village board, his last term expiring about three years ago. He was one of the most popular men of the town and enjoyed a large practice. Several years ago he built a commodious, one of the finest in this section of the county.
Dr. Vanatta was almost as well known in Mattoon as he was in Lerna and this part of the county. Scarcely a week passed by without seeing him in that city. He generally made the trips to and from the Coles metropolis in his automobile. Since his marriage he was often accompanied by his wife and child.
Dr. Vanatta was a Mason, being a member of the chapter lodge of Mattoon and a member of the blue lodge of Lerna. He also was a member of the Odd Bellow and Modern Woodmen lodges of this village. He was a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church and had always been one of the leading members of that house of worship.
[Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

Harold Vannatta
Newspaper: Mattoon Journal Gazette
Date: Thurs. Aug. 18, 1926(?)

Undetermined Whether It Was by Design or Accident
Harold, eleven year-old-son of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Vannatta of 1101 Broadway, hanged himself with a washing machine belt to an overhead steampipe in the basement of the family home Wednesday afternoon. He was found about 5:15 o'clock, when his brother, LaVerle, thirteen, ran around the west side of the house looking for him. The boy had been dead about twenty minutes when discovered.
LaVerle unfastened the loop around his brother's neck and took him down. He then ran upstairs to his mother, who had just come home from down town, and told her what had happened. Mrs. Vannatta's screams attracted neighbors, who came to the house and one telephoned for a physician, who, on arrival, found that life was extinct. A pulmotor was used in an effort to restore life, but to no avail.
Version of LaVerle
LaVerle told a reporter for The Journal Gazette that when their mother left them at home, the two brothers began playing hide and seek, running about the premises and hiding until one found the other, when the hunt was reversed.
"I saw Harold about ten or fifteen minutes before I found him hanging," said LaVerle. "I ran around the front of the house and the west side. As I was about to pass the basement door, which was open, I saw Harold hanging. I went in and took him down and went up and told mother. We had been having fun, just playing together."
Questioned as to what the boys had done Tuesday, LaVerle said they had gone to the park Tuesday evening and saw a free motion pictures, comdies, Harold was an omniverous magazine reader but always of good stories. He and his brother were pointed out as obedient lads and were most affectionate toward each other.
Probably Intended Surprise.
In the absence of any other evidence, it is believed Harold, in order to give his older brother a surprise, went into the laundry section of the basement, picked up the piece of discarded leather washing machine belt, put one end over the steam pipe and tied it tightly then upturning a galvanized iron bucket which had some soapy water in it, stood on top and formed a simple slip noose with the rope and pulled it over his head and around his throat. He probably intended to be standing on the pail when his brother would enter the basement and find him. It is thought likely the bucket slipped on the wet and soapy concrete and the boy's weight pulled the freasy rope tight around his throat, and he strangled to death before he was found.
Mr. Vannatta, father of the lad, arrived home from his mail run on the Big Four and was almost overcome with grief.
No new details of the tragedy were discovered today, it being generally believed Harold's death was the result of an accident at play. Coroner Schilling said he would hold an inquest this evening.
Funeral services have been tentatively arranged for Friday afternoon at ten o'clock from the Baptist Church, with burial in Dodge Grove Cemetery.
Harold was born on September 8, 1915. His brother LaVerle, who was thirteen years old last July, is the only other child of the parents. Harold was a seventh grade pupil in the Longfellow school and was a member to the Sunday school of the Baptist church.
[Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

Mrs. Laura Vanatta O'Dell
Obit: Decatur, Ill. -- Mrs. Laura Vanatta O'Dell, 88, of Decatur, formerly of Mattoon, died at 5:10 a.m. Wednesday in Decatur Memorial Hospital.
Mrs. O'Dell was the owner and operator of the Dinner Bell restaurant in Mattoon from 1938 until her retirement in 1968.
She was born in Jasper County on Jan. 18, 1886, the daughter of John and Jane Coad Vanatta. She was married to John O'Dell, who preceded her in death.
Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Harold F. (Margaret) Nichols, Decatur; two grandsons, Dr. Douglas Nichols, Decatur and Stephen Nichols, Springfield; and five great-grandchildren.
Mrs. O'Dell was a member of the First United Methodist Church.
Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Schillings Funeral Home.
Burial will be in the Upper Mudddy Cemetery, southeast of Mattoon. Friends may call at the funeral home from 11 a.m. Saturday until service time.
[Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

Margaret Jeanette Lawyer
Respected Woman of Hutton Dies
Charleston Daily Courier, Feb 1, 1943, page 1, column 1

Mrs. Margaret Jeanette Lawyer, a resident of Hutton township all of her life, died at the family residence in Hutton township, six miles south of Charleston, at 10:50 o’clock, Saturday night (Jan 30, 1943), following an illness of some years. The funeral services were held at the Charleston United Brethren Church at 2 o’clock this (Monday) afternoon with the pastor the Reverend C. T. Todd and the Reverend Stanton Lawyer presiding. The burial was made in the McKenzie Cemetery in Hutton township. Harper-Swickard funeral directors were in charge.
Mrs. Lawyer, born as Margaret Jeanette Anderson 75 years, 10 months and 25 days ago in Hutton township, was married to Jacob T. Lawyer 56 years ago, who died 42 years ago. She leaves seven children, four sons and three daughters, namely: Arthur Lawyer, Harry Lawyer, and Roy Lawyer of Charleston, and Guy Lawyer of Sandwich, Ill., Mrs. Luther Shaw, Mrs. Harlan Hall and Mrs. Oakle Carman of Charleston. She also leaves 30 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren. She was the last member of her family, a sister, Mrs. Mel Bennett, of Charleston, dying several years ago. She was a member of the First United Brethren church of Charleston.
Mrs. Lawyer for the last ten years made her home with a daughter, Mrs. Oakle Carmen and with a son, Leroy Lawyer.
She was well and favorably known in her community, and carried the respect and esteem of all who knew her.

The Lawyer Funeral Was Held Monday
Charleston Daily Courier, Feb 2, 1943, page 4, column 1
Funeral services for Mrs. Margaret Jeanette Lawyer, life-long resident of Hutton township, where she was born 75 years ago, who died late Saturday night at her home six miles south of Charleston, were held at the First United Brethren church of which she was a member, at 2 o’clock Monday afternoon. The pastor, the Reverend C. T. Todd, and the Reverend Stanton Lawyer, presided. The services were attended by a large number of the friends of the deceased.
“Shall We Gather At the River” and “When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder,” favorite songs of the deceased, were sang by Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Harper, accompanied by Mrs. John Swickard.
The flowers were cared for by granddaughters and friends who were Mrs. Reba Stull, Mrs. Jeanne Janes, Mrs. Lucille Cooper, Misses Margaret Lawyer, Junie Lawyer, Bernadine Lawyer, Marian Lawyer, Anna Jean Lawyer and Mrs. Ida May Cottingham, Mrs. Kester Lawyer.
The casket bearers were Lowell Lawyer, Max Lawyer, Eugene Lawyer, Hester (Kester) Lawyer, George Janes and Zarley Cooper, grandsons.
The burial followed in McKenzie cemetery in Hutton township with the Harper-Swickard funeral directors in charge.
[Submitted by Source #13]

James W. Vaughan
Date: June, 1890 -
Death of Rev. J. W. Vaughan of North Okaw Township
At noon Saturday, June 21, 1890, Rev. James W. Vaughan, aged 85 [sic] years and 7 months breathed his last at his home in Fuller's Point, surrounded by a number of his relatives and friends. He is numbered among the oldest settlers of the country and is widely known and righly [sic] respected. His death was the result of a complication of ailments superinduced by old age. His funeral was preached at the Mount Zion church at 11 o'clock a.m., in the presence of a large concourse of relatives and friends. Rev. F.S. Randolph, of Mattoon, officiating. The remains were taken to Bethany, Ill., and interred by the side of his first wife.
James W. Vaughan was born in Virginia, December 8th, 1805 and lived in Virginia and North Carolina until 1813 in which year his father died. After the death of his father he and his mother moved to Tennessee. He was left an orphan at the age of twelve [sic] years and during his lifetime he received but three months schooling. He was married in 1825 to Jemima McNuly [sic] and moved to Shelby county in 1829. In 1832 he built a blacksmith shop and bought the first outfit of smithing tools ever used in the town of Shelbyville. While in the blacksmith business he improved an eighty acre farm four miles east of Shelbyville. In 1833 [sic] he was a witness to the first will ever made in Shelby county. In 1832 during the uprising of the Sacks [sic] and Fox Indians in the northern part of Illinois, headed by Black Hawk in the Black Hawk war he was elected colonel [sic] of a regiment of soldiers, organized to assist in forcing the redman across the Mississippi river, receiving eighty-five votes over three other contestants who also belonged to Gov. Reynold's staff. After the close of this war he resumed his blacksmith trade at Shelbyville where he continued to labor until 1843 at which time he moved to a beautiful farm on Whitley Creek, Moultrie Co. After a few years he purchased a block in Sullivan, Ill., also 100 acres of land adjacent where he moved his family for the purpose of educating his children which consisted of five sons and four daughters. In 1858 he again sought a change. This time he moved to a farm near Bethany, Ill., where he lived during the war of the Rebellion and where he suffered the loss of his noble wife. He also lost his youngest son, Calvin, who was killed while in the Union service. Near the close of the war he moved to Fuller's Point where he married Malinda A. Ellis by whom he raised one son, T. M. Vaughan. With the exception of two years that he lived in Mattoon he continued to live at Fuller's Point until his death. Besides a wife he leaves eight children, viz: Alex Vaughan of Bethany. Ill.; Rev. S. B. N. Vaughan of Decatur, Ill.; Wm. Vaughan. Bethany, Ill.; G. W. Vaughan, Sullivan, Ill.; Msr. [sic] Malica [sic] Armantrout, Gays, Ill.; Mrs. Adaline Sharp, Bethany, Ill; Mrs. Emeline Weaver, Clinton, Ill; and T. M. Vaughan by his second wife, Peora [sic] Ill.
About the year 1844 or 1845 he was ordained as a minister of the gospel in the Baptist church and assisted in the organization of the Ambraw and Shelby Association of Baptists. He organized several churches in Central Illinois, one of which was Mt. Zion church near his home, his surviving widow being the only living member of the original organization. Rev. Jas.W. Vaughan was tall and of a commanding appearance and his voice was strong and full of harmony. He was a peace maker among men and highly prized by his widespread acquaintances. He was always faithful to the cause of Christianity and prompt to fulfil [sic] his appointments but never charged for his services. He was of a quick and impulsive temperament but never fostered a hatred. He lived the life of the righteous and notwithstanding his advanced age and feebleness of health his loss will be severely felt and deeply mourned. It is with much pleasure that we reflect on the acquaintance of a man possessing such noble traits of character and christian principles.
[Submitted by Source #202]

Alonzo Thompson
Alonzo Thompson was born October 13, 1846 in Coles County, Illinois. His age was 72 years, 6 months and 5 days, at the time of his death, April 18, 1919. In early childhood he united with the Baptist church and continued in this Faith. During the closing days of the Civil War he enlisted in the 143rd Illinois Volunteers infantry. He was married October 13, 1866 to Rebecca Perry of Morgan County, Indiana. When death separated them in this life on earth they had been married 52 years, 6 months and 15 days. Two years ago they celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Two daughters and five sons were born to them. The daughters died in early childhood. One son, Joseph Thompson, is believed to have perished in the San Francisco disaster in 1906. The other four sons are living: M.D. Thompson, Butte Montana, E.D. Thompson, Rochester, Ohio; A.R. Thompson, Haviland, Kansas; E.L. Thompson, Joliet, Illinois. Only one sister is living, Mrs. Mary E. Kite, Casey Illinois. Alonzo Thompson and his family lived in Illinois, Cole (sic) county until 1887, since then they lived at Colony Kansas until 1907, after that at Pratt, Kansas. -- A Friend.
[Their daughters are buried in
Parker Cemetery]
[Iola (KS) Daily Register, 8 May 1919 - Submitted by Source #25

Robert M. McMullen
Robert McMullen died at 10:30 pm Thursday at his home, a mile and a half east of the city, after a brief illness. With his wife, Mr. McMullen was in the city Wednesday and not feeling well, he called on a physician and got some medicine. Thursday he was up and down, but in the middle of the afternoon had a fainting spell. A physician was summoned and on his arrival Mr. McMullen was still unconscious. But he was revived and when the doctor left apparently feeling much better.
That night he sat up and talked with his family till after ten o'clock at which time he again complained of not being so well and said he believed he would retire. His children left him and spoke of it being time to administer his medicine but concluded to wait a few minutes. Not more than twenty minutes after they left him they returned and found him in his chair, dead. Death had come swiftly, but peacefully. The news of Bob McMullen's death was heard with much sorrow here for he was a man well and favorably known. At eleven o'clock Saturday morning Mr. McMullen's remains were taken to the Craig church where the funeral services were held
The funeral serivices of Robt. McMullen who died suddenly Thursday night were held Saturday at 11:30 at the Craig church, conducted by Rev. F.W. Burnham of the First Christian church of this city. A large number of relatives and friends were in attendance and many beautiful floral designs were in evidence, showing the deceased to have been a man who was held in high regard by a wide circle of his friends.
Robt. McMullen was born in Marion County, Ind., Aug 1, 1832. While yet a young man, forty or more years ago he came to Edgar County Illinois. On Dec 21, 1864 he was married to Mrs. Catherine Beatty, nee Craig. As a result of this union, three sons. Issac N., Allie and Edward D. with their mother are left to grieve the loss of a good, kind husband and father.
In 1866 Mr. and Mrs. McMullen came to this county and took up their residence on the McMullen farm, northeast of the city. They resided there till the fall of 97 when Mr. McMullen purchased the Sam Mitchell farm east of the city a mile and a half, and it has since been there home.
In any way you might consider him, Robt. McMullen was a good man and a splendid citizen. He was a man of undoubted worth, honor and integrity, a man whom everybody respected and whose death is deeply regretted. He was as well, thrifty and industrious and was rated as one of our county's substantial and progressive farmers. His death removes a valued citizen and there are none but sympathize with his family in their bereavement.
His remains were laid to rest in the Craig Cemetery

[Charleston Courier, Jan 25,1900 - Sub. by Source #204]

William Gilman
MATTOON, Feb., 6.—The most shocking suicide ever known in this section occured [sic] here early this morning. Wm. Gilman, the self-murderer, was eighty years old, the father of several grown children, and has resided in the county fifty years. He has been suffering great distress of mind owing to the recent death of his wife [December 1879] and other domestic troubles. Last night when one of his sons came from church, he said, "Al, [Allison or Albert probably Albert because he was the youngest son], I wish you were out of this and then I would not care to go myself." This morning while the family were at breakfast the aged father entered, with his coat and boots, as was his custom. Flourishing a razor, he said: "Boys, don't you want to see some fun." [sic] Before he could be disarmed, he cut a long, deep gash across the left side of his neck, severing the jugular vein. He said, "It will soon be over, boys; you need not go after the doctor," and died in a few [min]utes. The affair has caused gresat sorrow here. He was formerly Deputy Sheriff of Coles County.
["The Daily Republication, Decatur, Illinois, - Feb 6, 1880; Appears in the Tuesday Evening, Febuary 17, 1880 edition of "The Daily Republican" - Submitted By Source #205]

Note from Contributor Tamra Phelps: "William's wife was Sarah Woods Gilman. They married 23 Apr 1843 in Coles County. The children are scattered in the 1880 census, so it is unclear if all the children resided in the home. Ellen is married to Augustus P Whalen by 1860 and has five children. Robert is married to Ella Aldridge by 1880 and has three children. Allison still resides in the Coles County area; Albert has not been located. If Sarah, Patsie, or Eliza have married, their married names have not been discovered and they have not been located in the Coles County area under their maiden names."

James Vaughan
Murdered Himself.
Mattoon, III , May 17.—Jas. Vaughan a young man at Oakland, committed suicide by hanging. He had been dead several days when found. Temporary insanity
[Date: 18 May 1886; Paper: "Wheeling Register" - Submitted by Src 182]

1835 - 1895
James M. Logan was born in Coles county, Illinois, Sept. 17th, 1835; died in Barry, Illinois, June 8th, 1895. Age 59 years, 9 months and 8 days. He was the father of eleven children. His wife and six children have preceded him to the better world. He was formerly a member of the Christian church. He enlisted in the 108th Regt. Ill., Vol. Inft., in 1861, was severely wounded at Bolivar, Tenn. He has suffered severely with his wound ever since, and all that his loving children could do to alleviate his suffering was done. So has passed away one of our country's noble defenders. Peace to his ashes. Good friend, true hero, hail and farewell.
["Barry Adage", 13 Jun 1895 - Contributed by Virginia Gorton Bonne]

Hold Rites Wednesday For Arcola Farmer
ARCOLA, III.—Services will be at 2 p. m. Wednesday, for Ernest S. Hood, 82, a farmer from near here
who died Sunday morning at the Jarman Hospital, Tuscola, where he had been four-day patient.
He was born March 14, 1873, near Arthur, the son of William and Harriett Hood. They farmed their entire lives in the Arcola community. His wife, the former Eva R. Scott, whom he married April 9, 1895, survives in addition to two sons, J. H. Hood of Champaign and Lawrence Hood of Downey, Cal., a daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Akens of LaPorte, Ind., and two brothers, L, R. Hood of Aurora and Emmett Hood of Moberly, Mo., two grandchildren and two great grand-children.
Services will be at the Shrader funeral home, Arcola, and burial at the Arcola cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home Tuesday.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

Ethel Ida Jenkins Of Charleston Dies
CHARLESTON, III. — Mrs. Ethel Ida Jenkins, 60, died Sunday in the Charleston Hospital where she had been a patient several weeks.
The body is at the Clark funeral home. Services will be Wednesday at 2 p. m. in the Charleston Christian Church, Rev. Edwin Repess officiating. Burial will be in Roselawn cemetery.
Mrs. Jenkins was born April 9 1806, east of Charleston, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Noah Hackett. Her husband, John L. Jenkins, preceded her in death several years ago.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Wylie Cooper, Charleston, a grandson, two sisters, a half-sister and one brother.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

Nelle B. Mitchell
Miss Nelle Mitchell Funeral Rites Today
CHARLESTON, Ill., — Miss Nelle Blye Mitchell, 72, died at the Oakwood Convalescent Home Saturday after a prolonged illness.
Funeral services were held at 9:30 a.m. today in the St. Charles Catholic Church with burial in Mound cemetery. The Harper-Swickard funeral home was in charge.
Miss Mitchell was born March 11, 1883 in Charleston, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Greenville Mitchell. Surviving are one sister, Mrs. Guy Waters, Charleston, five nieces and one nephew.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

Lillie G. Henderson
Lillie G. Henderson Dies in Charleston
CHARLESTON, Ill.— Mrs. Lillie Grace Henderson, 90, died Sunday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. J. C. Mathes here. She had been ill for some time.
Funeral services were scheduled to be held this afternoon in the Bishop funeral home, Greenup, Rev Vern Denham officiating. Burial was in Greenup cemetery.
Mrs. Henderson was born near Greenup Jan. 27, 1865, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Matteson. She was a life-long resident of Coles and Cumberland counties
Surviving besides Mrs. Mathes are three grandsons, six great-grand-children, a brother, Elmer Matteson, Casey, and several nieces and nephews, including W. E. Rue, Mattoon.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

Roy Kirkendoll
Roy Kirkendoll Rites Wednesday
Roy Kirkendoll. 66. 2505 Marshall Ave. died at 9 a.m. Sunday at the Rennels Nursing Home, Charleston. Mr. Kirkendoll was a retired brick mason.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday from the Schilling funeral home chapel, the Rev. Chester Groves and the Rev. Harold Paddock officiating. Burial will be in Resthaven cemetery.
Mr. Kirkendoll was born in Sullivan in 1888. a son of Dave and Nan Simmons Kirkendoll.
He is survived by his wife, Lola; three daughters, Mrs. Omar Oakley. Gays; Mrs. Robert Whitlach and Mrs. K. R. Waggoner, Mattoon: two brothers, Charles, Charleston; and Bert. Gays; and eight sisters, Mrs. Ernest Benke, Mrs. Virgil Benskin, Mrs. Ada Black, Mrs. Pearl Conelon, Mrs. Irene Chapman, Mrs. Henry Sablotny all of Decatur. Mrs. Earl Cochran, Paris; and Mrs. Sarah Smith, Sullivan.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

J.O. Whitley
Funeral Saturday For H. O. Whitley
Services were held Saturday afternoon for H. O. Whitley, 57, at the Schilling funeral home, who died June 29, at Decatur-Macon County Hospital, Decatur.
The Rev. Dr. Horace Batender officiated and Mrs. Gladys Paris sang, "In the Garden" and "Don't Turn the Savior Away."
The following were pall bearers: Jerry Burwell, Wayne Hayes. Donald Whitley, Jim Akens, and Malcolm Whitley. Mrs. Florence Myers was organist
Burial was at Pleasant Grove cemetery.
[Daily Journal Gazette 05 Jul 1955 - BZ - Sub by a FoFG]

Rev. William N. Cubbage -- Rev. William N. Cubbage departed this life, May 20, 1880, at his residence, one mile south of Tonti, Marion county, Illinois. His remains were taken to Mattoon, Ill., and interred in Dodge's cemetery near that place.
Mr. Cubbage was born at Point Harmer, Washington county, Ohio, November 13, 1805. In 1826 was married to Miss Nancy Safford, which happy relation existed for a period of nearly 54 years.
In 1832 he was converted to christianity and joined the M. E. Church. Was ordained deacon by Bishop Soule in 1843 at Chillicothe, moved to Marion county, Illinois, in 1866.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, June 24, 1880 - Sub. By Kathy McDaniel]

Christian Schrader
The funeral of Christian Schrader who passed away at his home near Dorans about 7:30 o'clock on Monday morning will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday morning from St.Paul Lutheran Church east of Dorans being conducted by Pastor Rev. Herman Hagist. Burila will be at Odd Fellows Cemetery, Humboldt.
Mr. Schrader born in Westphalia, Germany on March 25, 1835 making him 83 years of age. Came to America in 1857. He served through the Civil War having enlisted in Chicago in the Twenty-four Regiment of Illinois Volunteers serving from Jun 27, 1861 to August, 15, 1864.
Immediately after the War Mr. Schrader settled on a farm in Humboldt Township where he lived continuously since. On September 10, 1864, he married Miss Mary Mohlenhoff who passed away September 9, 1916. Five children born to this union. Four of them surviving, Mrs. C.O. Handley, William V. Schrader, Mrs. Leana Gillispe and Rev. Herman Schrader, Fred Schrader the 5th child died July 8, 1914. There are also 21 grandchildren.
[Journal Gazette Front Page Tuesday Evening April 30, 1918 - Sub. by Leslie Rankin]

Mary Mohlenhoff Schrader
Mrs. Christian Schrader, who died at the family home southeast of Humboldt on Saturday afternoon, was held this afternoon from the German Lutheran Church near Dorans. Mrs. Schrader had been ill for only 2 weeks, suffering from a complication of ailments. Mrs. Schrader was born in Hanover, Germany, seventy-nine years ago. Having come to the United States when about 18 years of age. She made her home in Tennessee for a time, coming to Illinois and Coles County in 1862. This county had been her home ever since, having lived on the same farm for 52 years.
Mrs. Schrader became the wife of Mr. Schrader 52 years ago, five children were born to them all surviving except Fred W. Schrader, who died only two years agao. The other children are Mrs. Anne Handley, William V. Schrader, Mrs. Lena Gillespee all living near Humboldt, and Rev. Herman A. Schroeder of Thomsboro.
Other survivers are a brother Henry Mohlenhoff and two sisters Mrs. Eliza Knable and Mrs. Vernon Lanphier.
[Daily Journal Gazette Monday Evening September 11, 1916 - Sub. by Leslie Rankin]

Anne Handley
Mrs. Anne Handley, 80 died at 8 clock today at her home east of Dorans, following an extended illness. Brief services will be held at 1:45 Thursday afternoon at her residence with regular services at 2 o'clock St. Paul Lutheran Church, Rev C.H. Geiger will officiate and burial will be in the Odd Fellow cemetery at Humboldt.
Mrs. Handley, as Anna Maria Schroeder was born February 12, 1866, in Humboldt Township a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Schroeder. She was married to Charles O. Handley on April 17, 1895, he died ten years ago.
Surviving are two sons, Curtis and James Handley of Humboldt, three daughters Mrs Andrew Hlmann of Dorans, Mrs. Hugo Behrend of Mattoon and Miss Alcie Handley with whom she made her home; A brother Rev. H.A. Schroeder of Champaign; 15 grandchildren.
Mrs. Handley was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church and St. Paul Ladies Aid Society.
[Mattoon Journal Gazette Tuesday Evening April 2, 1946 - Sub. by Leslie Rankin]

William Vernon Shrader
William V. Shrader of Humboldt dies --
Former Humboldt postmaster and township highway commissioner passed away suddenly Thursday evening at home of Edward Shrader in this city. Although he had been invalid for number years death was due to heart attack. He was 68 years old. Funderal will be 2:30 clock Methodist Episcopal Church. Burial will be Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Mr. Shrader born in Wesley Chapel Community in Humboldt Township March 29, 1868, son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Schrader. When young man entered Valparaiso College in Vaparasio Indiana and after graduating from the institution, he began farming near Humboldt. In 1891 he married Miss Identa Moore of Humboldt. She died several years ago. Surviving are five children Edward Shrader of Humboldt, Dr. Dora Morgan, Cadillac, Michigan, Mrs. Frances Page, Springfield, Illinois, Mrs. Mary Waltrip, Mattoon, Mark Shrader of Chicago, Illinois and 6 grandchildren. Rev H.A. Schroeder of Thomasboro, Illinois is a brother. Mrs. C.O. Handley of Dorans is a sister.
[Mattoon Journal Gazette Friday February 12, 1937 - Sub. by Leslie Rankin]

Lena Schrader Gillespie
Mrs. Lena Gillespie, age fifty-four, died this morning at 5:20 o'clock at Memorial Hospital following an operation for peritonitis and complication of ailments, conducted Thursday. She was in a dying condition when taken to the hospital and a operation believed to be the only chance to save her life.
The funeral will take place from St. Paul Lutheran Church east of Dorans on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev T.A. Dautenhahn officiating. Burial will be in the cemetery at Humboldt.
Mrs. Gillespie, born on a farm northeast of Mattoon, in Humboldt Township on November 21, 1873, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chris Schroeder, old residents of Coles County. She was reared on the homestead. In 1894 she married Dow Gillespe. Two daughters were born to the union Mrs. Henry Arend, with whom Mrs. Gillespie made her home and Miss Ruth Gillespie. There are two grandchildren. Other survivors are her brothers William Schrader of Humboldt and Rev. H.A. Schroeder of Thomasboro, Illinois and a sister Mrs. C.O. Handley also of northeast of town, another brother Fred Schrader, died at Humboldt several yeras ago. Mrs. Gillespie was a member of the Lutheran Church.
[Mattoon Journal Gazette and Commercial Star Saturday October 8, 1927 - Sub. by Leslie Rankin]

Sarah Hogue
Mrs. G. W. Hogue of Martinsville, Ill., sister of Miss Emma Galbreath, 810 Jackson street, died at her home Sunday afternoon. She was 66 years old, and is survived by her husband, one daughter and five sons. Four sisters - Mrs. Margaret Snyder of Ashmore, Mrs. A.J. Stewart, Mrs. M.A. Phelps and Miss Emma Galbreath of Charleston - and three brothers - Robert V. Galbreath, John F. Galbreath, of Ashmore, and Jas. A. Galbreath of Charleston - and many other relatives also survive. The funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 at the Presbyterian church at Casey. Interment will be made in the Casey cemetery
. [April 1926, transcribed by K. Mohler]

Mrs. Phebe Jane Stewart, aged 78 years, wife of A.J. Stewart, died in the family home, 628 Fourteenth street, this city, at 7 o'clock on Wednesday evening after a fourteen month illness. Mrs. Stewart suffered a stroke of paralysis more than a year ago and never recovered.
Funeral services will be conducted on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Ashmore Presbyterian church by the Reverend J.W. McKinney of Charleston, former pastor of that church. Burial will be in Mitchell cemetery, northwest of Ashmore.
Mrs. Stewart leaves her husband, A.J. Stewart, a daughter, Mrs. Chester (Alma) Harrell, of Charleston, three grandchildren, three brothers and three sisters: R.V. Galbreath, Ashmore; James A. Galbreath, Charleston; and John F. Galbreath, Ashmore; Mrs. Margaret Snyder, Ashmore; Mrs. M.A. Phelps, Charleston; and Miss Emma Galbreath, Charleston.
Mrs. Stewart was a member of the Presbyterian church.
Phebe Jane Galbreath, daughter of James and Martha Mitchell Galbreath, was born on November 1, 1851, on a farm in Ashmore township and would have been 79 years of age on Saturday, November 1, had she lived. She was a member of a family of thirteen children.
She was married to A.J. Stewart at the home of her parents, three miles northwest of Ashmore, on August 1, 1888. Mr. Stewart operated a harness shop in Ashmore for the next eight years, then became engaged in farming. Six years ago they moved to Charleston but they maintained Ashmore as their residence. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Stewart, a daughter, Martha, dying in infancy.
[Thursday Oct 23, 1930 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Lizzie Maxham
Mrs. Lizzie Maxham, 71, a Coles county resident for sixty-five years, of Charleston for the past twenty-seven years and wife of George Maxham, widely known Nickel Plate conductor, died in the family home, 25 Jackson street, at 3:15 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon. Mrs. Maxham, in failing health for two years, showed a rapid deterioration the past year, and last Sunday sustained a second paralytic stroke within a few weeks. She was unconscious most of the time following the second stroke.
Funeral services will be conducted in the Maxham residence at 2 o'clock on Friday afternoon by the Reverend S.P. Allison, pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Charleston. Burial will be in Mound cemetery.
Mrs. Maxham leaves her husband, George Maxham, three daughters, Mrs. G. Will Smith, residing west of Charleston; Miss Cora Grace Maxham, residing at home; and Mrs. N.T. Roach, Chandler, Ariz.; three half-brothers, Robert N. Logan, Minneapolis, Minn.; J. Allen Logan, Geneva, Fla.; and Timon Logan, Ashmore; and six grandchildren.
Mrs. Maxham was a lifelong member of the Presbyterian church. She held membership in the Ladies Aid of that church and was a long time member of the local order of Eastern Star.
Lizzie Woods Logan, daughter of Samuel F. and Parmena (Nevens) Logan was born October 27, 1858 near Stanford, in Lincoln county, Kentucky. In 1864 - when she was but six years of age - she was brought to Illinois by her parents who settled on a farm a mile and a quarter northwest of Ashmore, Coles county, Illinois.
On February 28, 1881, she was united in marriage to George Maxham. The ceremony was performed by the minister of the Presbyterian church in Ashmore, in the home of the bride's parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Maxham moved immediate to Mattoon where they resided until September of 1902 when they moved to Charleston - since their home.
During the twenty-one years that Mattoon was their home, Mr. Maxham became a valuable and trustworthy railroad trainman. First he.... (obit cut off)
[--- 30, 1930 - Tr. by K. Mohler]

Jesse D. White, aged 81 years, of 754 Twelfth street, well-known resident of this city, died Wednesday evening at 9 o'clock in the Charleston hospital, where he had been receiving treatment and care the past several weeks.
The body was removed to the Harper-Swickard Funeral Home to be prepared for burial.
Mr. White was born near Springfield, Ky., on March 20, 1866, a son of Levi L. and Martha Ann White. He came to Charleston in 1903 and has since resided here. He was employed as a travelling representative of the circulation department of a Chicago newspaper at the time and later opened up a book store and news service on the east side of the public square. He later moved his place of business to the west side of the square, where he operated a number of years, and sold to the King Brothers several years ago. He has since been representing various newspapers, including The Courier and magazine publications.
In politics Mr. White was a democrat. He served two terms as city treasurer, one term as supervisor of Charleston township and was an alderman of the Second ward. In all of his dealings he had many friends throughout the county.
He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Emma White and the following children: Don White, of Columbus, Ind., William White, of Norman, Okla., Richard White and Mrs. A.E. (Martha) Heston, of Charleston; two stepchildren, Mrs. Bjourn Olsen, of Fox Lake and Ed Brewer, of Charleston; one brother, I.B. White, of Fort Worth, Texas and eight grandchildren.
The funeral services are to be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the chapel of the Harper-Swickard Funeral Home and the burial will be made in Mound cemetery.
Friends may call at the Harper-Swickard Funeral Home, where the body will remain until the funeral hour.
[unknown newspaper, c. Nov. 19, 1947 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Lydia J. Moffett
Mrs. Lydia J. Moffett, aged 93 years, spending all of her life in Ashmore township, where she was born, except for the past six months during which time she resided with her daughter, Mrs. Dama C. Smith, 1791 Ninth street, died at the daughter's home about 9:20 o'clock on Tuesday morning after a two months' illness. Death was due to complications of diseases.
The funeral services will be conducted at the home of the daughter, at 10 o'clock on Wednesday morning. Burial will be made in the Brooks cemetery, northwest of Ashmore.
Mrs. Moffett is survived by three children: Mrs. Dama C. Smith of Charleston, A.J. Moffett of Ashmore, and J.A. Moffett of Ashmore. A brother, B.A. Brooks resides at Champaign, and Mrs. H.F. Galbreath of Ashmore and Mrs. Will Kimball of Ashmore are surviving half-sisters. T.M. Brooks of California is a surviving half-brother.
Ten grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren also survive.
Mrs. Moffett, who was a member of the Ashmore Presbyterian church, joined the church when a small girl. She attended church regularly and was active during her long years until it became necessary because of her health and advanced age to remain at home.
Lydia J. Brooks was born in Ashmore township on January 25, 1834, where she spent all her life except for the past six months, coming here at that time to reside with her daughter.
She was united in marriage to John Moffett, Ashmore, on January 26, 1860. Mr. Moffett passed away on May 5, 1891, at Ashmore.
Her parents came to Ashmore township in a covered wagon, where they settled. Mrs. Moffett, born in Ashmore township, was the oldest person in Ashmore township to be born in that township and was perhaps the oldest person native born in the county.
[unknown newspaper, August 30, 1927 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Lyman Boyer Galbreath
Ashmore, June 3 - Lyman Boyer Galbreath, 27, son of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Galbreath, died in the Jackson Park hospital in Chicago at 1 o'clock this morning from a week's illness following a major operation for intestinal obstruction relief.
Lyman Galbreath was born and reared to manhood on the Galbreath farm north of here. He was graduated from the Ashmore high school with the class of 1920. On January 18, 1923, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Brading, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lute Brading of Paris. Two daughters, Kathryn Louise and Margaret, were born to this union, the latter dying at the age of two weeks.
About two years ago Mr. Galbreath and family moved to Chicago to make their home. During that time he held an important position with an electrical company.
Mr. Galbreath, who would have been 27 years of age on the twelfth day of this month, had been in excellent health, until a week ago when he was taken suddenly and seriously ill.
He leaves his widow, Mrs. Anna, daughter, Katherine, his parents, John F. and May Boyer Galbreath, two sisters, Mrs. Herbert (Edna) Starks, Pierceville, Kan., and Mrs. John (Ida) Prather of Ashmore, a brother, Joe Galbreath of Ashmore and other relatives and many friends.
He was a visitor in Ashmore about six weeks ago. The body will be shipped to Ashmore via Mattoon on Monday afternoon and taken to the home of his sister in Ashmore by the Harper ambulance of Charleston.
[unknown newspaper/date - Tr. by K. Mohler]

Margaret Elizabeth Snyder
Mrs. Margaret Elizabeth Snyder, aged 81 years, highly respected citizen of Ashmore, where she was born and spent all her life, died in her home there at 2:42 o'clock on Monday afternoon. Mrs. Snyder, who suffered a hip fracture in a fall in her home in July, 1930, was bedfast practically every day since. She was in an unconscious condition for some days before her death. Mrs. Snyder died while funeral services for a sister, Mrs. Alice Phelps, who died on Saturday, were being conducted in Charleston.
Funeral services will be conducted at 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon in the Ashmore Presbyterian church by the Reverend S.P. Taylor, of Carbondale, formerly of this city. Burial will be in the Ashmore cemetery.
Mrs. Snyder leaves five children: Mrs. Roberta Boyer, of Ashmore; Fred A. Snyder, Mattoon; John H. Snyder, Charleston; Dr. C.W. Snyder, of Oakland; and Dr. C. Paul Snyder of Philadelphia Penn. Mrs. Snyder also leaves three brothers, R.V. Galbreath, Ashmore; James A. Galbreath, Charleston; and John Galbreath, of Ashmore and a sister Miss Emma Galbreath, Charleston. Another sister, Mrs. Alice Phelps, died here Saturday at the age of 77 years. Mrs. Snyder also leaves sixteen grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
Margaret Elizabeth Galbreath, daughter of James A. and Martha Mitchell Galbreath, was born in Ashmore township, on October 28, 1849. She spent all her life in or near Ashmore.
On March 4, 1868, she was married to William A. Snyder, an Ohio native, but a resident of Ashmore at that time. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Snyder, two passing on: William A. Snyder, who died in 1916, and Dr. J.C. Snyder, who died in 1928.
Mrs. Snyder was a member of the Presbyterian church all her life. She was a faithful member and attended the services regularly until the past few years when her health failed. She was one of Coles county's most popular and widely known citizens.
[unknown newspaper, August 31, 1931 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Martha Alice Phelps
Funeral services in memory of Mrs. Alice Phelps, long time Charleston citizen, who died in the family home, 810 Jackson street, Saturday afternoon (August 29, 1931), were conducted in the First Presbyterian church of this city at 2 o'clock on Monday afternoon by the Reverend S.P. Taylor, formerly of Charleston, now of Carbondale.
The services were largely attended by the many relatives and friends of Mrs. Phelps. A large number of Ashmore relatives and friends were in attendance. Mr. and Mrs. H.T. Logan of Sullivan and Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Deverick of Casey were also among the out-of-town relatives present.
The casket bearers were: Cliff Galbreath, Joe Galbreath, Tyman Logan, Ray Galbreath, Max Galbreath, and Albert Galbreath. Burial was in Roselawn addition to Mound cemetery.
Martha Alice Galbreath, daughter of James and Martha Mitchell Galbreath, was born near Ashmore, Ill., on July 23, 1855. She resided in Coles county most of her life and was well known, highly respected and popular.
On September 3, 1896, she was married to Charles D. Phelps, who died in Olathe, Kan., on August 11, 1901.
Mrs. Phelps leaves two sisters, Miss Emma Galbreath, with whom she resided for the past twenty-five years, and Mrs. Margaret Snyder of Ashmore, and three brothers, John and R.V. Galbreath, of Ashmore, and James Galbreath, of Charleston. Mrs. Phelps also leaves a large number of other relatives, including nieces and nephews, and many friends.
[unknown newspaper, c. Sept 1931 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Robert V. Galbreath
Robert V. Galbreath, well known Ashmore township resident, died Saturday (Sept 10, 1932) at the family home in Ashmore after a two weeks illness. He was born November 5, 1845, in Ashmore township, the son of James and Martha Galbreath. Mr. Galbreath's entire life was spent in this township, with the exception of five years which were spent in Morgan township. Of the 78 Coles county fairs held at Charleston, Mr. Galbreath attended 75 of them. In 1858 he attended the Lincoln-Douglas debate held here.
The widow, formerly Miss Emma Mann of Danville, survives. Five children also survive: Louis E. of Charleston, Charles D. and Loy B. of Ashmore, Conrad V. of Chicago, and Mrs. W.T. Roberts of Tuscola. One daughter, Elizabeth J. Prather, preceded her father in death on November 18, 1910. There are 27 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held in the Ashmore Presbyterian church at 2:30 o'clock this (Monday) afternoon, the Reverend S.P. Taylor of Mattoon officiating. Burial was made in the Ashmore cemetery. Mr. Galbreath had been an active member of the Presbyterian church since he was 14 years old.
[unknown newspaper, c. Sept 12, 1932 - tr. by K. Mohler]

Esther Catherine Galbreath
Little Esther Catherine Galbreath, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James A. Galbreath, died Monday, aged 6 years, 8 months, 12 days. She had been sick only four days with a disease which the physicians doubtfully announced pronounced spinal meningitis. Funeral services conducted by Rev. Geo. G. Lewis, pastor of the Presbyterian church, were held at the residence Tuesday. The remains were buried at the Mitchell cemetery.
We can not do justice in describing the kindness and simplicity of this beautiful life that has taken its flight. The smiles and sunshine with which she greeted everyone was the secret which made her many friends. She was known far and wide in the community and was a favorite with all the children, as well as her older friends. It has been aptly said that she was one of the few children that could be greatly petted without spoiling. This young life has gone but it has left an example of purity and beauty of character that will never die. We kindly offer our heartfelt sympathy to the parents, brothers and sisters in this their greatest sorrow.
[unknown newspaper/date - tr. by K. Mohler]

Emeral Logan
Oakland, Aug. 1 - By Special Service - So serious were injuries sustained by Emeral Logan, 21 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tyman Logan, a mile north of here, on Sunday evening at 8 o'clock, when his motorcycle collided with an auto on Route 1, south of Oliver in Edgar county, that he died at the Paris hospital on Monday forenoon.
The parents of the dead young man did not learn of his fate until after death had called him, because officials became confused in his name as well as the name he gave them for persons to be notified.
Mr. Logan was en route to his work in Indianapolis on a motorcycle after spending the week end in Oakland and nearby among his parents, other relatives and friends.
[unknown newspaper, c. Aug 1, 1926, tr. by K. Mohler]

Ashmore, Aug. 4 - By Special Correspondent - Grim tragedy recently stalked through the life of the late Emeral Logan in three distinct manners - his death was tragic, he died before relatives reached him, he reached a birth anniversary on the day he was buried, and today - Thursday - he would have been united in marriage.
On Sunday evening he left for his work in Indianapolis, Ind., in that youthful, carefree way after spending the day with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Timan Logan, residing north of Oakland, and with his fiancée, Miss Nola Prince, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Prince, residing north of Ashmore.
In a short time after bidding them all farewell, Emeral was seriously injured, and rushed to the Paris hospital for treatment. He was unable to make the hospital authorities understand who his relatives were. So he passed those last terrible hours of anguish and pain without the assistance of loving aid, and he entered the Great Beyond without the comfort and presence of loved ones.
Tragedy was present in a second guise on Wednesday, August 3. That day was the twenty-second anniversary of his birth. It was the day of his funeral and burial.
The third instance is a most unusual one. Today, August 4, the day following his funeral, Emeral Logan was to have been united in marriage to Miss Prince. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to Miss Prince, the members of the Logan family and to his friends.
The Logan family at one time resided in the Ashmore community for a number of years. A great number of Ashmore relatives and friends attended the funeral services, which were conducted at the Logan home north of Oakland on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. The Rev. Kobowalsky, Kansas Presbyterian minister, officiated. Interment was made in the Ashmore cemetery.
Mrs. Logan, mother of the deceased youth, who had been prostrated since word of his death was received, was able to be present at the funeral and burial services.
[unknown newspaper, c. Aug 4, 1926, tr. by K. Mohler]

John Wesley Reynolds
J.W. Reynolds, 91, Civil War veteran, known familiarly by almost everyone in this city and community as "Uncle Johnny," died in the family home, 804 Eleventh street, after a five weeks' illness of infirmities of age.
Funeral services will be conducted in the residence at 2:30 o'clock on Tuesday afternoon by the Reverend Gay C. White, pastor of the First Methodist church of this city. Burial will be in Mound cemetery.
John Wesley Reynolds was born on June 23, 1840, at Rushville, Fairfield county, ten miles east of Lancaster, county seat, Ohio, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth Reynolds. The family moved to Illinois in 1854 and settled on a farm two miles north of Casey in Clark county. After five years there, they moved to Charleston, which was since their home.
Mr. Reynolds enlisted in Company G, 54th Ill. Inf., under Col. Mitchell, on December 2, 1861. He served meritoriously for three years, then re-enlisted, and served just as honorably until he was discharged on August 21, 1865, because of a gunshot wound in the left shoulder. He returned to Charleston where he has since made his home.
He was united in marriage to Miss Ann E. Snyder of Westfield, Ill., on October 12, 1868. The children who with Mrs. Reynolds are left are: Mrs. Lee Morrison, Winslow, Ariz., Mrs. W.H. Ritchey, Los Angeles, Cal., Mrs. W.A. Traver, San Diego, Cal., Mrs. J.D. White, Mrs. Charles Oliver and Troy Reynolds, of Charleston. Three children, Will, Jessie and Myrtle, passed away several years ago. Mr. Reynolds leaves a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
For twenty-five years he was engaged as a truant officer by the public schools, and although it was his duty to keep watch over the tardy and absent pupils, he endeared himself and was loved by them all. He was a member of the G.A.R. and of the First Methodist church of Charleston.
[unknown newspaper/date - tr. by K. Mohler]

George Arend of Janesville Dies
George Arend, a retired Janesville farmer and a brother of Misses Martha and Adria Arend of Mattoon, died Wednesday in St. Mary's Hospital in Decatur, where he had been a patent since Saturday. He was visiting a daughter, Mrs. Ruth Williams, in Decatur when he became ill.
Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the Humboldt Methodist Church, with burial in the I.O.O.F. cemetery at Humboldt. The body is at the Brintlinger funeral home in Decatur.
Mr. Arend was born April 10, 1877, on a farm near Humboldt, a son of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Arend. He married Carrie McGee on Nov. 21 1898. She died Nov. 15 1924.
He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Williams of Decatur and Mrs. Elane Atkinson and Mrs. Helen Dressen of Peoria; on son, Sergi Dale Eugene Arend, stationed with the army in Wilmington, N.C.; nine grandchildren; five great grandchildren; two brothers, William Arend of Detroit, Mich., and A.C. Arend of Humboldt; and four sisters, Mrs. Nellie Byle of Long Beach, Cal., Mrs. Margaret Watkins and Misses Arend of Mattoon.
[unknown newspaper/unknown date - Submitted by Src #208]

Ada Beula Cox Arend
Passing of Young Wife on Sunday
Mrs. Henry E. Ahrend Dies from Consumption After Months of Suffering, Funeral Wednesday.
Mrs. Ada B. Ahrend, wife of Henry E. Ahrend, a clerk in a local shoe store, died at 2 o'clock on Sunday afternoon at her home, 513 North Twenty-first street. The young wife had been ill for eighteen months, consumption being the cause of her demise. The funeral will be held from the residence at 2:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. Internment will be made in Dodge Grove cemetery. Mrs. Ahrend was born Ada B. Cox, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Cox, who live in North Twenty-first street. She had been married only a short time. She was 24 years old.
[20 MAR 1911 The Daily Journal-Gazette - Sub by Srce #208]

Henry Arend
Henry Arend of Humbolt Ends His Life
Shoots Self in Breast While in Automobile North of City.
Henry Arend of Humbolt, a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Arend, retired farmers living at 3120 Pine Avenue, Mattoon shot himself this morning about ten o'clock and died soon afterward. The tragedy occurred north of Mattoon on a bridge in the Old Egyptian trail, a half a mile east of the Carl Niemeyer farm, and a half mile south of the George Arend farm, which was vacated by Arend and his family three weeks ago.
Dies in Mother's Arms.
Arend died in his mother's arms, while she was making an endeavor to ascertain the cause of the shooting. Mr.s and Mrs. Arend, the parents, with Herbert Gust, the new tenant of the Arend farm, drove up to the bridge, not knowing who occupied the car, and found their son dying. Physicians were called, but death came before their arrival. The bullet had entered the left breast, near the heart. Coroner Schilling will probably hold an inquest this afternoon or Tuesday. "I have no idea why he took his life." said Mr. Arend, the father. "Henry left the farm three weeks ago to go to Humbolt to live. He planned to sell automobile accessories. I don't know any reason why he should have been in the neighborhood where he shot himself this morning. Henry was in Mattoon this morning, having brought his wife to the home of relatives. At that time there were no indications that he was worried over anything. I presume that he may have suddenly lost his mind. What his troubles were, if any, I do not know. My tenant, Mr. Gust, had come to Mattoon after me. We started to the farm with him to talk over matters about the farm. We found the car parked on the bridge and when we went to it to see what was the matter we found our son dying. His mother climbed in the car after we had pushed it off the bridge and tried to get some word from him, but it was too late. He died in his mother's arms." The revolver used by Arend, a .32 caliber weapon, was found lying in the seat of the car at the side of the dying man. Mr. Arend would have been forty-seven years old next fall. He leaves his wife, a son, Merle, by a former marriage, living in Arizona, and two little children, James, three and Marguerite, five. Besides the parents ther are several brothers and sisters surviving - William Arend of Detroit, Miss Martha Arend at home; George Arend of Toledo, Ohio; Mrs. C.W. Byle of Los Angelos, Cal; Mrs. E.E. Watkinds of Mattoon; A.C. Arend, near Humbolt, and Miss Adria Arend, at home.
["The Daily Journal-Gazette", 20 FEB 1928 - Sub by Src #208]

Hazel Arend
Mrs. Hazel Arend, aged 32 years, wife of Henry E. Arend of Humboldt township, passwed away at 11:45 yesterday morning at Memorial hospital where she had been taken Sunday aftrnoon. Death was due to abscess of the brain. She had been ill on a week. Mrs. Arend was raised in this city, her father being Albert Ebardt, a well known Mattoon painter. She and Mrs. Arend were married about four years ago. Surviving in addition to the father and husband are a brother, Albert Ebardt of this city, and a sister, Mrs. Ray Munson of southeast of Mattoon. The funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock from the residence of the father, George Arend, 3120 Pine avenue. Rev. Walker will have charge of the rites. Burial will be made in Dodge Grove cemetery.
["The Daily Journal-Gazette" 18 JUN 1919 - Sub by Src #208]

Merle C. Arend
The funeral of Merle C. Arend, who resided eight miles northwest of Mattoon, was held Sunday afternoon at Schroeder funeral home in Humboldt, followed by burial in Dodge Grove cemetery. The pallbearers were Kelly Moore, James Handley, Andrew Homann, Thomas M. McNutt Jr., Lewis Lanphier and Raymond Schweighart. Mr. Arend died at 5:15 o'clock Friday evening in Memorial Hospital following a week's illness from pleurisy. He was born in Mattoon July 1, 1908, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry E. Arend. His father died in 1911 and his mother passed away in 1928. On Dec. 8, 1928 Mr. Arend married Miss Edlia Schroeder of Champaign. Surviving are Mrs. Schroeder, two daughters, Lyndall, aged 6 years, Iris Gail, aged four weeks; his stepmother, Mrs. Helen Arend; a brother, James Arend, and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George H. Arend, of Mattoon.
[The Daily Journal-Gazette 1 Jun 1936 - Sub by Src #208]

Minerva Cox
Mrs. Minerva Cox, wife of George S. Cox, died at 9:25 o'clock this morning at the family home 513 North Twenty-first street. Death was due to pneumonia, which developed after a two weeks' illness from flu. The funeral services will probably be held from the First Baptist church, with burial in Dodge Grove cemetery. The time has not been decided upon. Mrs. Cox was born about 72 years ago near Painesville, O. She married Mr. Cox in Urbana many years ago. Besides her husband she leaves a sister, Mrs. Lye Reester, of Urbana, and three brothers, John Sidell of South Dakota, George Sidell of Pekin and Charles Sidell of Arkansas. Merle Arend of Mattoon is a grandson.
[The Daily Journal-Gazette, 25 MAR 1932 - Sub by Src #208]

Joseph Spidle
Sudden Death of Joseph Spidle
Joseph Spidle, formerly of 608 Richmond avenue, died Sunday following a heart attack on his small farm near St. Elmo. Mr. Spidle, a retired New York Central railroad section foreman, and his family moved from Mattoon to the farm about two months ago. He was 63 years old.
The funeral will be held at 1:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at the Schilling funeral home. Rev. C. C. Breen of Charleston will officiate. Burial will be in Dodge Grove cemetery.
Mr. Spidle was born in Lerna on March 6, 1886. His wife was formerly Miss Ethel Bedwell. His father, now 104 years old, lives in Mattoon. Surviving in addition to his wife and father are two daughters, Mrs. Calvin Wisely of Mattoon and Sylvia, at home; four sons, Woodrow, Franklin and Ada at home and Robert with the army in Japan, and a sister, Mrs. Aria Short of Mattoon.
[Daily Journal Gazette Monday Evening February 13, 1950 Mattoon, Illinois - Sub by Src #182]

Daniel B. Kingery
Daniel B. Kingery, 83, of Los Angeles, Cal., a brother-in-law of Mrs. George T. Duane of Albuquerque, N. M., formerly of Mattoon, died suddenly on Jan. 29. Mr, Kingery, a retired Pennsylvania railroad employe, resided with his wife, the former Miss Anna Caughlin, in Terre Haute before moving to California in 1944. Both Mr. and Mrs. Kingery had visited often at the Duane home In Mattoon.
[Daily Journal Gazette Monday Evening February 13, 1950 Mattoon, Illinois - Sub by Src #182]

Agnes DeKlotz
Mrs. G.F. DeKlotz, Daughter of Y.M.C.A. secretary Succumbs
Typhoid Thought Cause
MATTOON, July 18—J. C. Starkey, secretary of the R. R. Y, M. C. A., 1320 Edgar avenue,, was called to Flier, Ida., Monday afternoon by the serious Illness of his daughter, Mrs. G. F. de Klotz, formerly Miss Agnes Starkey of this city. After his departure, a message received Tuesday morning stated that Mrs. De Klotz had died Tuesday morning at 7 o'clock. Mr. Starkey can not reach there earlier than Thursday. The daughter and her family resided on a farm near Filer.
She had been ill for a month with typhoid fever. Last week a letter was received by Mr. and Mrs. Starkey, saying that she was much improved.
Mrs. de Klotz was born June 4, 1893, in Roodhouse and was the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Starkey.
She was graduated from the Mattoon High school in 1912 and from the Teachers' college in Charleston in the class of 1914. She taught in the Hawthorn school until 1916 when she went to Idaho where she afterwards made her home.
She was married June 19, 1922 to J. F. de Klotz and went to housekeeping on a farm near Filer.
She is survived by her husband and three daughters: Margaret Jane, Mary Eleanor and Helen May, and one son, Gilbert, all at home; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Starkey; two sisters. Miss Florence Starkey and Mrs. J. C. Tomlin, all of Mattoon; three brothers, Arthur L. and Francis Starkey, Chicago, and James Starkey of Minneapolis. Funeral arrangements have not been made
[Decatur Evening Herald Thursday, July 18, 1929, Decatur, Illinois - Sub by Src #182]

Olive Hume
Had been failing rapidly since February, leaves husband and two sons.
Olive Hume was born at Mattoon, Illinois, August 12, 1890, and died at Cheney, Wash., on April 21, 1917, at the age of 26 years, eight months, and nine days. On April 23, 1908 she was united in marriage to Frank Riegler at Spokane, Wash. To Mr. and Mrs. Riegler were born two sons, both of whom survive. Since February her vitality has waned very fast with the dread disease, tuberculosis, and last Saturday came the end. She is survived by her husband, two boys, parents, two sister's and one brother. Funeral services were held from the New England Undertaking company's parlors on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. H. C. Kohr. Interment was in the New England cemetery.
[Cheney Free Press, (Cheney, Washington), 27 Apr 1917 - Sub. by Charles Riegler]

Ralph Stewart
Ralph Stewart, 19, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Stewart, 1415 Madison street, died (1929) in the family residence at 1: 25 o'clock on Sunday morning after an illness since September of general complications. Funeral services were conducted in the First Methodist church at 2:30 o'clock on Monday afternoon by the Reverend H. B. Lewis, the pastor. The services were largely attended by the many relatives and friends of the well known young man. Burial was in the Charleston City Cemetery. He leaves his parents, two sisters, Myrtle and Permelia and a brother Paul, all at home, and a grandfather, Harve Stewart of Charleston, eighteen years ago with his parents. He was born on Aug 30, 1909, North of Mattoon, and when about two years of age, he came to Charleston. At the close of the last school term he was elected to finish his high school work at the Charleston High School. He was a popular young man and a favorite among his companions.  [Unknown newspaper, c. 1929; Submitted by Jerry Stewart, who adds:  He was interned at Chambers Cemetery]

James H. Ellison
Mattoon, ILL., July 20 - James H. Ellison died yesterday at his home northwest of this city, aged 86 [Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL), Saturday, July 21, 1888]

Levi B. Fleenor
Mattoon, Ill, July 20 - Levi B. Fleenor died in this city yesterday, aged 91 years and 5 months.  He had been a resident of Coles County for 57 years, and was one of the 64 in Mattoon and vicinity who have reported that they voted for William H. Harrison in 1840. [Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL), Saturday, July 21, 1888]  

George A. Hanks
George Hanks Dies in San Diego, Cal.
Charleston, Ill., July 27 - George Hanks, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas P. Hanks of Neoga, passed away at his home in San Diego, Cal., early today, according to a message received here. No details as to the cause of death were given. The body is expected to arrive here on August 1. A short funeral service will be held in Mound Cemetery, where burial will be.
Mr. Hanks was a former resident of Charleston, coming here 30 years ago and was employed as an engineer for the Clover Leaf railroad for about seven years. While here he married Miss Rose Quiggins. From here they moved to Indianapolis, where for a number of years he was engaged in railroad work and later became a member of the police department, serving as patrolman and detective. Three years ago Mr. and Mrs. Hanks moved to San Diego. The survivors are the wife and his parent in Neoga.  The Journal Gazette, July 27, 1927]   [George A Hanks married Rose A Quiggins on December 24, 1895, Charleston, Coles County, IL. Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900 - Record listed on Index as Hauck, George A and Quiggins, Rose A.] - Sub. by Sandra Taylor, who adds "George was my grand uncle"]

George Hanks
Dies in California - July
George Hanks, a former resident of Charleston and Clover Leaf engine man for years, before leaving for Indianapolis where he became a member of the police force and was advanced to the position of city detective, died at San Diego, Cal., on June 16th according to a message received by the Miller Furniture and Undertaking company from Mrs. Hanks, wife of the deceased. A message also added that the body would be returned to Charleston and would reach here Monday, Aug 1st. The body will be taken from the Fourth station direct to Mound Cemetery for a short funeral service. Interment will be made in that cemetery. Mr. Hanks came to Charleston from Neoga and secured employment in the engine service of the Leaf railroad as a locomotive man. After some years of service, Mr. Hanks moved to Indianapolis, where he became a member of the police force of that great city and through good work was advanced to the bureau of detectives. About three years ago, he and Mrs. Hanks moved to San Diego, Cal., which has been their home. Mr. Hanks .. days ago submitted to an operation in the hope of benefiting his ..... and messages from there to family in this vicinity stated he was coming along nicely. This morning Charlie Quiggins, a brother of Mrs. Hanks received a message stating Mr. Hanks had passed away. Mr. Hanks was married to Rose Quiggins, of Charleston. There were no children born to the couple. George Hanks was the son of Thomas Hanks of Neoga, who resides here. George was born near Athens, Ohio. Beside the father, George is survived by a sister, Mrs. Alden Moxley of Fishers, Ill., and a half-sister, Alice Thomas of this place. Thos. Hanks and C.V.C...(Charles Vincent Chappelear) of Neoga and Mr. and Mrs. Moxley of Fishers were in Charleston Monday to attend the burial.
[Charleston Courier, July 1927; Sub by Sandra Carol Taylor]

W. F. Purtill
W. F. Purtill, editor and proprietor of the Mattoon Journal, and circuit clerk of Coles county, died suddenly at noon, Monday, at his home in Charleston, Ill.  
[The bee.(Earlington, Ky.), February 02, 1899]

Thomas Newell
Charleston, Ill, May 21 - Thomas Newell, a pioneer resident of Coles County, died to-day at the age of 82.  
[The St. Louis Republic. (St. Louis, Mo.), May 22, 1902, Page 2]

Doctor P.H. McGurty
Charleston, Ill., May 21 - Doctor P.H. McGurty died this morning.  He was 31 years of age.
[The St. Louis Republic. (St. Louis, Mo.), May 22, 1902, Page 2]

David Dixon
Mattoon, Ill., Jan 9 - David Dixon, aged 69 years, a pioneer resident of Coles County, died here yesterday.
 [The St. Louis Republic (St. Louis, Mo.), January 10, 1903, Page 10] 

Joseph Alexander Honn
Arcola, Ill., Dec 4 - Joseph Alexander Honn, one of the most prominent farmers of Coles county, died at his home, seven miles osutheast of Arcola, this morning.  He owned extensive tracts of land. [The St. Louis Republic. (St. Louis, Mo.), December 05, 1901, Page 5]

Catherine Lamphier
Mattoon, Ill., Nov 14 - Mrs. Catherine Lamphier, aged 91 years, the oldest woman in Coles county, died last evening at the residence of her niece, Mrs. Charles Westrip, in this city.  
She was exposed to the recent hurricane at Galveston.  She was the widow of Philip Wolseley Lamphier, an office in the British Army, and a near relative of Lord Wolseley, former Commander-in-Chief of the British Army
 [The St. Louis Republic.(St. Louis, Mo.), November 15, 1900, Page 11]

Amanda Bates
Mattoon, Ill, June 10 - Mrs. Amanda Bates, aged 91 years, the oldest pioneer resident of Coles County, died this morning at her home, east of Charleston.
[The St. Louis Republic.(St. Louis, Mo.), June 11, 1901, Page 14]

William Johnson
William Johnson, a wealthy retired farmer and for 40 years a prominent resident of Coles county, died last evening at Arcola.  
[The St. Louis Republic.(St. Louis, Mo.), June 11, 1901, Page 14]

James Wiley
Charleston, Ill., Feb 15 - James Wiley, a veteran of the Mexican War, and one of the wealthiest farmers of Coles county, died today, aged 70 years.  He was  a native of Kentucky, coming to Illinois about 40 years ago.
[The St. Louis Republic. (St. Louis, Mo.) February 16, 1902, Page 2]

Thomas Jenkins
Charleston, Ill., Aug 30 - Thomas Jenkins, a pioneer resident of Coles County, died last night from the effects of a paralytic stroke.  He was 77 years old and had lived in Coles County 60 years.  
[The St. Louis Republic.(St. Louis, Mo.), August 31, 1902, Page 7]

I.P. Gray
Two pioneers of Coles county, Ill., died Friday, both unexpectedly.  They were Robert McMullen, aged 67 years, and Mrs. I.P. Gray, aged 70 years.
[The Cape Girardeau Democrat.(Cape Girardeau, Mo.), January 27, 1900]

Matthew Wilson
Mattoon, Ill, April 26 - Matthew Wilson, one of Coles County's pioneers, died at his home near Mattoon at 1 p.m. today, aged 73 years.  He was a native of Ireland, and a highly respected citizen.  [The St. Louis Republic.(St. Louis, Mo.), April 27, 1900, Page 7]



©K. Torp and Genealogy Trails