Coles County, IL Obituaries

Contribute your family member's obituary by emailing Kim. I prefer to post old obituaries rather than new ones to protect the names of the living. If you do not see a contributor's name, assume it was an obituary I found during my research (however, don't assume I'm related to that person named in the obit - very few of my folks who died in Coles actually had obituaries :-(


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, June 29, 1933

Contributed by
source #2

J. M. Swinford Passes Away On Friday Afternoon
Following an illness of several weeks duration, Joe M. Swinford passed away at his home on West Main street in this city Friday afternoon at 3:30. Death was due to heart trouble and dropsy.
Funeral services were conducted from the Oakland Christian church Sunday afternoon at 3:30, Rev. J. L. Goleman officiating. There was a large number of people at the funeral and the church would not accommodate those who came to pay their respects. Those on the outside
were allowed to pass through the vestibule and view the remains at the close of the service. Pallbearers were Lloyd Schwartz, Earl Shives, W. A. reed, H. W. Cauldwell, Clifford Cox and Elby Ashmore. Mrs. Nettie Smith of Sullivan, Mrs. Mildred Nonneman and Miss Marcella Benoit of California, Mrs. Mayme Shives, Mrs. Tressa Kirkpatrick, Mrs. Bertha Cox, Mrs. Clara Gobert, Mrs. Clell Taylor, Mrs. Hannah Kenney and Mrs. Viola Goleman had charge of the flowers which were profuse. Mrs. Lucille Gillespie and Miss Margaret Whittington sang "Face to Face," "Under His Wing" and "God Will Take Care of You." Services at the grave were in charge of the Oakland I. O .O .F. lodge.
Joseph Marion Swinford, oldest son of Francis Marion and Sarah Daugherty Swinford was born near Oakland, IL January 2, 1876 and departed this life June 23, 1933 at his home in Oakland to which home he had just recently moved. "Jodie" as he was familiarly called grew to manhood on his father's farm in the Donica neighborhood, south of Oakland, acquiring
a good education at the country school near his home and assisted his father on the farm until his marriage on January 5, 1898 to Miss Dora E. Benoit of Oakland. They set up home in the same community where they reared and educated their family of seven children, loosing one little boy, Forrest, in infancy. The remaining children are: Clayton, Bernice, Joseph Jr., Josie, Mrs. Mary White, Clara and Sarah, all living near Oakland. Also there are six grandchildren and four brothers and one sister left, Charlie, Lawrence and Mrs. Rose Wieland of Oakland; Alva of Charleston; Roy of Ashmore. Jodie was a member of the Modern Woodman andRebekah lodges and a social member of the I. O. O. F. lodge. He was stricken with a disease about three months ago that he could not overcome and has gone as we all must go. A comparatively young man, only 57 years, ? months, and 21 days, of life here, filled with sunshine and shadow, joy and sorrow, and we who knew him best recall many, many good
deeds he has done but only God can know them all and not one will be lost in His sight (submitter's note- there is a stamp mark covering some of the words on my copy of this obit leaving some words unreadable) ______ the wife who has faith________her part in the home _________of her husband _______now bear the burden _________ the children in the_________ the sympathy of the ______is extended.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Wednesday July 17, 1907

Contributed by source #3

Bugle Calls Old Soldier

W.P. Price Passes Peacefully Away This Morning At His Home On Broadway


Services to Be Held from Residence at 1:30 o'clock

Brief History Of His Life

Before daybreak this morning, W.P. Price passed away at his home, 916 Broadway, after suffering for years from the results of gun shot wounds received while in his country's service in the Civil War, recently complicated with bronchitis. Death was not unexpected, for he had been very ill for several weeks. Yet, up to the very end, he fought for life and was up and dressed almost to the hour of his demise.

The funeral will be held from the residence at 1:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon and the internment will follow in Dodge Grove cemetery in Mattoon, IL. The officiating minister has not yet been chosen. The deceased was a member of no church, but was baptized in the Methodist church when very young.

William P. Price was born on October 16, 1840, in New Jersey. In that state he grew to manhood, learning the carpenter trade before attaining his majority. When the news of the firing on Fort Sumpter was made known, he was the first from his town to volunteer, and he served with considerable distinction through the entire Civil War. He was a member of the secret service department of the Union army and rendered valuable service as a spy in the Confederate lines. He also fought in several battles with the 5th Regiment of New Jersey Infantry and received in his left side, wounds that later caused his death. All of the ribs in this side were broken and when bronchitis took hold of him, death was not long absent.

After the war, he returned to New Jersey, and later moved to Pennsylvania, where he was married to the one who now mourns his death, his widow (Susan Lovett Schmidt). Soon after their marriage, they moved to Illinois, coming directly to Mattoon in 1869. Since that time they resided in this city, and for thirty-five years, lived at the present residence, 916 Broadway.

Upon first arrival in Mattoon, he secured employment with the Big Four Railroad Company, then the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad, on the bridge gang, and when the time came that the shops were moved from Litchfield hither, W.P. Price was the man who drove the first stakes for the buildings here and it was he who was partly in direction of the carpenters who erected the uprights for the first shop erected by this railroad in Mattoon. Upon completion of the shops, he went to work with the carpenters and for thirty nine years has labored as a cabmaker and repairman.

Several of the present employees in these shops came to Mattoon with the change but the deceased was the oldest laborer employed out of the early city of Mattoon and during the long term of his employment there, he scarcely missed a month of time and never except at his own request.

Recently, his health failed him so that he was unable to work and since that time, he has lived at home in retirement. He was an active member of the Mattoon Post, G.A.R, and also of the loyal Lodge of Odd Fellows, which will have direction of the funeral, assisted by the veterans. About ten years ago, he served on the county board as assistant supervisor.

Three children were born, two of whom are living - Mrs. Henry C. Aldrich, 2212 Marion Avenue and George B. Price, now in Galveston, Texas. It is not known whether the son will be able to attend the funeral.


The Oakland Messenger

Thur. March 22, 1934

Contributed by source #2

A. J. Eads Dies Sunday Morning At Age of 73
After a lingering illness A. J. Eads passed away at his home in this city Sunday evening at 7:15.
Andrew Jackson, son of Lewis and Pollyanna Eads was born at Bloomington, IN on July 26, 1860. He departed this life March 18, 1934 at his home in Oakland, being 73 years, 7 months and 21 days of age. When a young man about 18 years old, he came to Oakland, IL, working for
several years as a farm hand. On Dec. 16, 1886 he was married to Lucinda Jane Curtis of Oakland. By this time he had saved enough money to purchase a farm and on this farm he and his wife started their home. Here all their lives have been lived with the exception of one year which they spent in Oakland seventeen years ago and the last two years which also have been spent in Oakland. He seemed to love every hill and tree on their little farm. No place has been home to Mr Eads except this farm and it was his greatest desire to move back to it.
It was here that his children were born and grew up, three boys and one girl, namely, Charles A. of Oakland, Willis R. of Milwaukee, Wis., Ernest H. of Oakland, and Mabel M. of Chicago. There are also nine grandchildren and one great grandchild. These with the wife are left to mourn the loss of husband, father and grandfather who has been a hard working man and an honorable and upright citizen. What better heritage could he leave his children? Mr Eads was converted about 23 years ago and united with the Fairview M. E. church to which he has been loyal. Mr Eads has been in poor health for several years and for the last seven
weeks has been confined to his home and bed part of the time. Last Friday he suffered a complete relapse and left us on Sunday eve. going to be with his Savior "who giveth his beloved sleep."
Funeral services were conducted from the Fairview church Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Montague officiating. Pallbearers were John Dollar, James Dollar, Art Kincade, Wm. Kincade, Sterl Hanner, Chas. Swinford. Mrs Leta Hawkins was at the piano. The choir of the Fairview church sang. Flowers were in charge of Mrs Ida Dollar, Mrs Mamie Shives and Mrs
Vera Swinford.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, August 7, 1896

Contributed by source #2

Mrs. Hite is dangerously ill at present.

The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, August 14,1896

The remains of Mrs. Andy Hite were interred in the Fairview cemetery Friday.
(note of submitter- Rachel Mullinix- Brown- Hite)


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, November 11, 1915

Contributed by source #2

The community were much shocked Tuesday morning upon learning that William HUNT one of our most respected citizens had died suddenly at his home on Ashmore Road. Mr Hunt had been in failing health for some time, but of late had the appearance of being much improved and he was up town in his car nearly every day. Tuesday morning he had come up toBLEVIN'S's meat market, had purchased half a hog and the same being placed in his automobile he had taken it home, unloaded it and was preparing to cut it up when the final summons came and he passed away while his wife was answering a telephone call in another part of the home.
Funeral services are being conducted this afternoon by Rev. Willis GILL of Cloverdale, Ind., from the Fairview church and the interment will be in the Fairview cemetery. A large convergence of relatives and friends will attend the funeral and burial.
William HUNT was born in Coles County, IL, Feb. 11th, 1845 and died Tuesday Nov. 9, 1915 aged 70 years, 8 months, 28 days. He was a son of James D. HUNT who located in Coles county previous to 1838 where he died July 3, 1856. The subject of this sketch continued to live upon the old homestead, attended school and assisted farming until the decease of his mother which occurred July 3, 1865 after which he purchased the interest of the other heirs and continued farming successfully upon the old place on his own account until some ten years ago when he removed to Oakland and purchased the Stites property on Ashmore Road in which himself and
wife resided until his death.
He was married March 3, 1864 to Susan E. HANDLEY. He is survived by his wife and eight children, viz: Mrs Guy JONES, Mrs Walter HENN, Mrs Elby ASHMORE, Mrs Theressa SWINFORD, Willis, Jet, Lawrence and Sherman HUNT.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, June 21, 1917

Contributed by source #2

William Brown aged twenty three employed on the A. T. Lawrence farm northwest of Humbolt killed himself Sunday afternoon using a shotgun and shooting himself through the heart. Imaginary troubles, registration, fear of going to war and being gilted by a young lady are assigned as the causes leading up to this rash act.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, May 26, 1921

Contributed by source #2

Joseph Brown's Body Found in Bad State of Decomposition
Supposition is That He Died Monday Night and Wife Finds Him Saturday Morning

One of the saddest deaths which has occured in this city in a long time was that of Joseph Brown who was found at his home Saturday morning after having been dead almost a week. Mr and Mrs Brown had been working at Ard Wheeler's north of this city or rather Mrs Brown was keeping house for Mr Wheeler and her husband stayed there when not working elsewhere at
odd jobs. On Monday of last week Mr Brown decided to come home and work in his garden and set out a few fence posts which he did. Monday night he was seen at the tent show and that was the last time he was seen alive. Mrs Brown became uneasy about her husband when she failed to hear from him Monday until Saturday and on Saturday morning came to town to
investigate. She went to her home and opening the front door found her husband in a heap at the front of the stairs. Mrs Brown ran into the yard screaming and neighbors came to her assistance, taking her to a nearby home. She was overcome by the shock and it was necessary to place her under a physician's care. Those who had the will power to enter the house said the stench was almost unbearable, the body being in a bad state of decomposition.
Deputy Coroner Lewis came up Saturday morning and empanneled a jury composed of the following men: C. U. Grant, C. K. Miller, C. W. Miller, W. P. Moody, T. J. Nugent and C. W. Pearce. There was practically no evidence to be brought before the jury. It was brought out that the last time Mr. Brown was seen alive was Monday night at the show. The supposition of the jury was that he went home from the show and Monday night being a real chilly night, he went upstairs to get an extra cover for his bed which was downstairs. This theory is substantiated by the fact that he had a comfort partially wrapped about him when found. Whether he stumbled at the head of the stairs or was stricken with heart trouble just before falling will never be known. The body was found at the foot of the stairs with his head bent under his chest, his neck having been broken. The body had turned black, the skin was slipping and the hair falling out. Those few who viewed the remains said it was a horrible sight.
Joseph Brown, son of Mr and Mrs John Brown was born June 1, 1850 in Indiana and moved to Illinois when a young boy, later on moving to Missouri in 1889. He was united in marriage to Loesta Houk, Sep. 4, 1890 and resided on a farm until they moved to Oakland, IL in the 1919. He was converted and joined the M. E. church. He tried to live a faithful christian life, always willing to lend a helping hand and tried hard to make a happy home for his companion and those around him. He departed this life May 16 when the death angel called him home where sorrow and pain are no more. He leaves to mourn his departure his faithful companion, nephews and neices and a host of friends who will greatly miss him. He was the last of a family of four children and was at the time of his demise 71 years, 11 months and 15 days of age.
Funeral services were conducted from the Fairview church Saturday afternoon at 5:00 o'clock, Rev. J. P. Cummins officiating.
The sympathy of the entire community goes out to Mrs. Brown in her grief which is almost unbearable for this good lady.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, January 20, 1921

Contributed by source #2

Passes Away at His Home Near This City Sunday Afternoon

Death came Sunday afternoon to relieve the suffering of J. H. Hunt who had been ill at his home in the Donica Point neighborhood for about two weeks, his suffering having been brought on by Mr. Hunt taking bichloride of mercury tablets. Everything possible to save the life of Mr. Hunt was done by his family and physicians but to no avail, the deadly poison had done it's work. The cause of this rash act on the part of Mr. Hunt is not definitely known. The deceased was known to everybody in this section of the country as "Jet." Being a man of his word, honest, industrious and straight forward and of a jovial disposition, he made friends with all whom he met and easily retained them. His many friends were prepared for the worst but the news of his death cast a pall gloom over the community in which he lived for "Jet" Hunt was a friend to everybody and his loss will be felt not only in his house but in the entire community. To his mother, wife and children, sisters and brothers, The Messenger extends sincere sympathy in the loss of a kind and loving husband and indulgent father.
Jestine Harland Hunt, son of William ("&"-- submitter's note ) Ester Hunt was born in Coles County, Oakland township, Illinois, February 11th, 1867 and departed this life at his home in Oakland township, Coles county, Illinois, January 10th, 1921 aged 53 years, 11 months and 5 days.
He was married to Miss Amanda A. Eads of Monroe County near Bloomington, Indiana, December 31st, 1891. To this union were born 3 sons and 2 daughters, William Clarence, Freeman Everett and Chase Jennings, Mrs. Gertrude Ethel Ford and Elsie Marie Taylor who survive him. He united with Providence church with his wife during the year of 1911 under the
ministry of Elder Silvan A. Dawson and was baptized near the church in the stream of Jestine H. Handley with is wife. His father died the 9th of November 1915; his aged mother survives him. Two brothers and 1 sister preceeded him to the better world in infancy. Three brothers and four sisters survive him, Sherman W., Willis J., Lawrence C., Tressa Bradford, Louvisa Ashmore, Alvira Morris and Delphia Henn.

He was honest and industrious, provided well for his family and leaves his aged mother, companion, children, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends to mourn his loss.
Funeral services were conducted from the Fairview church, Tuesday morning at 11:00 o'clock. Rev. Sylvan Dawson officiating, followed by interment in Fairview cemetery.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Monday - November 13, 1916

Contributed by source #3


Levi Aldrich Succumbs to Infirmities of Age
Funeral Services Wednesday

Levi Aldrich, aged ninety years, died this morning at eleven o'clock at his home, 2117 Marshall Avenue. Death was due to old age. Mr. Aldrich had been ill for a short time only, having had sufficient strength to enable him to make a visit on Saturday to the business district.

The body has been removed to the Schilling undertaking establishment, from which place funeral services will be conducted on Wednesday afternoon. Burial will be made in Dodge Grove Cemetery.

Mr. Aldrich was a retired farmer. He had lived in Mattoon for about thirty years. As a young man, he taught school.

Surviving are the following sons and daughters: Mrs. George Gaines, Mattoon; Al Aldrich, West Salem; Mrs. Jennie Merrick, Indianapolis; Mrs. Elizabeth Rothrock, Elwood, Indiana; Charles A. Aldrich, Montana; Henry Aldrich, California; Will Aldrich, Idaho; Ed Aldrich, Texas; Oscar Aldrich, Neoga.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Monday ~ January 26, 1942

Contributed by source #3

Mrs. Charles A. (Bertha) Newland died at 7 o'clock Saturday evening at her home, 921 Moultrie Avenue, as a result of a paralytic stroke suffered Thursday. Mrs. Newland had been in ill health more than a year. She was 58 years old.

The funeral will be held at 9:30 o'clock Tuesday morning in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with Rev. Father J. J. Holmes officiating. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery.

Mrs. Newland, as Bertha Cavanaugh, was born February 12, 1884, in this city, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Cavanaugh. She attended the Mattoon schools. On October 5, 1902, she was married to Charles A. Newland of this city.

Surviving besides her husband are two sons, Harold of Mattoon and John "Jack" Newland of Camp Forrest, Tenn; two daughters, Miss Mary Martha at home and Miss Bertha Jane of Decatur; two grandchildren and a brother, Michael Cavanaugh of Decatur.

Mrs. Newland was a member of the Church of the Immaculate Conception and the Altar Society.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Thursday ~ September 22, 1955

Contributed by source #3

Charles A. Newland, 75, Western Avenue Road, died about 4 a.m. today at his home of a heart attack.

Mr. Newland, a former tin and roofing contractor, was born April 10, 1880, a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Newland of Mattoon.

In October, 1902, Mr. Newland married the former Bertha Cavanaugh. Mrs. Newland preceded her husband in death in January, 1942.

Mr. Newland was a member of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and is survived by two sons, Harold and John, both of Mattoon, and two daughters, Miss Mary Martha Newland of New York City and Mrs. Jack (Bertha Jane) Horsley of Mattoon.

He also leaves seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Monday ~ June 24, 1974

Contributed by source #3

Harold A. Newland, 70, of 216 S. 16th, was pronounced dead on arrival at Memorial Hospital at 8:20 a.m. Sunday.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church with burial in Calvary Cemetery. Rt. Rev. Msgr. William Croke will officiate.

Friends may call at Mitchell Jerdan Funeral Home after 6 p.m. today. The Rosary will be recited at 7:30 p.m.

Mr. Newland was born June 11, 1904 in Mattoon, the son of Charles A. and Bertha Cavanaugh Newland. He married Helen Elizabeth ?? in Mattoon September 26, 1923. She survives.

Also surviving are two sons, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

He was preceded in death by one brother, John; and one sister, Bertha Jane Horsley.

Mr. Newland was a machinist for the New York Central Railroad from 1920 to his retirement in 1964.

He was a member of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church and a former member of the Brotherhood of Railway Employees.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Monday ~ June 24, 1974

Contributed by source #3

Litchfield, Ill.
John P. Hanafin, editor and publisher of the Litchfield News Herald since 1965, died today, nearly five weeks after suffering a heart attack.

Hanafin, 62, collapsed at his desk May 21.

Born April 6, 1912 in Elgin, Hanafin was the son of the then manager-publisher of the Elgin Daily Courier. He married Eleanor M. Freeman of Ogden in 1940 and later left for Europe and North Africa where he served in Army Intelligence. He once was captured and escaped from a German prisoner of war compound, walking from behind German lines to safety.

He returned to work at the Herald, which his family had owned since 1928, and took over its management when his father died 20 years later.

He and his wife had seven children and two grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements were not complete.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
Monday ~ June 24, 1974

Contributed by source #3

The mother of a Mattoon resident died Saturday morning in Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Dead is Mrs. Wigfall (Clara Edith) Wilson, 85, of Paris. She is the mother of Mrs. Dorothy Bennett of Mattoon.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Blume Stewart Carroll Funeral Home.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, March 13, 1924

Contributed by source #2

The remains of Clarence Curtis who died at Champaign, Sunday, were brought to this city Wednesday and taken to the home of his grandfather, Charles Curtis, where funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, followed by interment in Oakland cemetery.
Clarence Curtis son of Mr Wm Curtis was 32 years old at the time of his death. He was a veteran of the World War serving eleven months overseas. During one of the gas attacks he was badly gassed and his death is attributed to this cause. Clarence was a splendid young man and an honest upright citizen. About a year ago Clarence was united in marriage to a Danville young lady who together with his father and two brothers survive him. The sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved in their sad time of affliction.

same paper
Mrs. Jack Eads received word of the death of her nephew, Clarence Curtis at Champaign Monday morning.


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, March 27, 1924

Contributed by source #2

Mrs Ophelia Clark aged 79 years, lifelong resident of Oakland township and moving with her son, Dive Clark, to this city four weeks ago Monday, died at the home 1326 Monroe street at 11:05 o'clock on Saturday night after and illness of three days following a stroke of paralysis, the
third within a period of three years. Her condition was regarded as serious since the attack. The funeral services were held at Fairview church south of Oakland at 11:00 o'clock Tuesday morning followed by interment in Fairview cemetery.
Miss Ophelia Curtis daughter of Nicholas and Sarah Curtis was born in East Oakland township April 6, 1844 and died in Charleston March 22, 1924 aged 79 years, 11 months and 16 days. In 1866 she was united in marriage to Green Clark, also of Oakland and the couple engaged in farming for many years. The death of Mr Clark occured several years ago.
Of the nine children born to this union five have preceded her in death. The surviving children, all sons, are Dive Clark of Charleston, Will Clark of Riverside, Calif., Val Clark of Ohio and Fred Clark of Shelbyville, IL. Charles Curtis, Mrs Ralph Dollar and Mrs Sherman Roberts, all of Oakland and Mrs George Griffith of Shelbyville are surviving brothers and sisters. Seven grandchildren and a great grandchild also survive.
Mrs Clark who joined the Methodist church in her girlhood days, was a faithful and devout member of the organization. She was a devoted woman for her home and family and was always found to be working in their interests. ---- Courier


The Oakland Messenger

Thursday, December 10, 1925

Contributed by source #2

The death messenger visited our city Tuesday evening and called an old pioneer, Mrs Wm Hunt. Mrs Hunt had been ill for some time and suffered severely. Death was caused by dropsy.
Susan E. Handley, daughter of Michel and Susanah C. Handley was born August 22, 1818 near Oliver, Clark county, Illinois. At the age of four years she, with her mother, moved to the farm known as the Tinsley farm where she resided until her marriage to Wm Hunt March 3, 1864 then she and her husband moved across the road to the farm known as the Hunt homestead and there their children were born and they lived all their married life except one four years term and then the eighteen years that they have lived in Oakland. Mr Hunt passed on at their home in Oakland, November 9, 1915 and she made this her home during the lonely years of her widowhood and peacefully fell asleep at 8:20 P. M. December 8, 1925.
She and her husband united with the Baptist church in 1905 and she was faithful in life and triumphant in death leaving her testimony to her children that she was not afraid to die and said the things of the world had lost their charm for her and she was ready to go. Yet in all her
suffering she was patient and trustful and on the last Sunday of her life she called her family about her, bade them goodbye, told them that she wished they would keep up their family reunions at the homes, be true to each other and preserve the spirit of an undivided family.
Mrs Hunt had one brother and one sister, both deceased. She has two half brothers and two half sisters and one step sister living. The surviving children are Terresa R. Bradford, Louvisa E. Ashmore, Alvira L. Morris, Delphia M. Henn, Sherman W., Willis J. and Lawrence C. Hunt. The
children deceased were George M., Alma S., William F. and Jestine H. She has 20 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren living, and one grandchild, Little Mary Irma, daughter of Mr and Mrs Willis Hunt, who preceded her to the better world. After Mr Hunt's death, young Raymond Arnold made his home with Mrs Hunt and was a very loyal friend and she was greatly attached to him and he will miss her care and sympathy.
Mrs Hunt belonged to the sturdy, courageous pioneers of this township, the men and women, the real heroes and heroines of civilization who came and conquered this new country, leveled the forests and made the plains of Illinois blossom with the promise of beauty and plenty and left to the present and future generations all the comforts and advantages of modern life, material, intellectual and spiritual. Such souls do not die, they live on in this world in the lives of their children to whom is committed the task of carrying on in life, true to God and faithful to
their fellowmen in every good word and work. May a mother's blessing always abide and inspire you to do your best until you are called to join her in promised peace into which she has entered.
Funeral services were conducted from the Fairview church, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Willis Gill of Cloverdale, Ind. officiating, following which the remains were laid to rest in Fairview cemetery.
The Messenger extends sincere and heartfelt sympathy to the children in the lots (sic) of their mother.

Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette Obits of 1992

Contributed by source #3

(names of the living removed)

Kenneth Ramsey, 78, of Arcola, died at 6:10 p.m. Monday (October 12, 1992) at his residence.


The Rev. William Powell, 61 of Lancaster, Pa., died Monday (October 26, 1992) in Lancaster.

The Rev. Powell was pastor of Winebrenner Chapel church of God in Mattoon for nine years. He ministered in Pennsylvania for 17 years and was currently pastor of First Church of God in Lancaster.


Emma Margaret Reiher, 85 of Tuscola died at 6:10 a.m. Sunday (October 11, 1992) at We Care Nursing Facility in Arcola.

Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. today at Zion Cemetery, rural Tuscola, with the Rev. Kenneth Roedder officiating. Waddington-Shrader Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

She was born February 6, 1907, in Tuscola, the daughter of Marx C. and Margaret F. Frahm Reiher. She was preceded in death by two sisters.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
October 2_, 1992

Contributed by source #3

Margaret S. Parke, 94, of Humboldt, died at 8:40 p.m. Tuesday (October 20, 1992) at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center.

The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the Shrader Funeral Home in Arcola with the Rev. Terry Ford officiating. Visitation will be from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Friday. Burial will be in Humboldt Cemetery.

She was born December 30, 1897, in Coles Station, the daughter of John E. and Wilhelmina Schmidt Bolin. She married Clarence W. Parke in 1921. He died February 19, 1978.

Surviving are a daughter, four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. She was preceded in death by two sons, three brothers, a sister and a granddaughter.

Mrs. Parke was a private piano instructor. She was a member of the Arcola First Christian Church, the Arcola Music Club and Moultrie County Homemakers Extension.

Memorials may be made to the Arcola First Christian Church or the Arthur Home.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
April 11, 1932 (Monday)

Contributed by source #3

Mrs. Mina Bolin, widow of John E. Bolin, died Sunday afternoon at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Mary Parke, following a long illness from cancer.

Funeral services will be conducted at 1:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon from the Parke home, with Rev. J.F. McMahan of Danville officiating. Burial will follow in Jonathan Creek Cemetery, in Moultrie county.

Mrs. Bolin was born January 5, 1860, in Pennsylvania, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tunas Smith. She came to Humbolt with her parents when a child and grew to young womanhood here. She married Mr. Bolin about 50 years ago. Mr. Bolin died in 1921.

Besides her daughter, Mrs. Parke, she leaves two sons, Frank Bolin of Humbolt and M.G. Bolin, whose address is unknown.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
October 25, 1941 - Saturday

Contributed by source #3

Mrs. Mary Cordes, 2520 Marshall Avenue, died at 6 o'clock Friday evening at her home after an illness of several months. Death was due to a heart ailment. Mrs. Cordes was 70 years old.

The funeral will be held at 9 o'clock Monday morning in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with Rev. Father T.G. Smith officiating. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. The body will be at the residence until time for the funeral.

Mrs. Cordes, as Mary Cavanaugh, was born in Mattoon, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Cavanaugh. She attended the parochial school. On November 20, 1900, she was married to Charles Cordes of Mattoon. Mr. Cordes died in June, 1936.

Surviving are two sons, Harry and Carl of Mattoon; a foster daughter, Mrs. Mary Roberts of Mattoon; a grandchild; two sisters, Mrs. Charles Newland of Mattoon and Mrs. Alice Price of Terre Haute, and a brother, Michael Cavanaugh of Paducah, Ky.

Mrs. Cordes was a member of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, the Daughters of Isabella and the Auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
October 30, 1954 Saturday

Contributed by source #3

Carl H. Cordes, 61 year old Mattoon constable, collapsed and died suddenly about 3:55 p.m. Friday in a first floor corridor of City Hall. He suffered a heart attack.

The officer, who had held the constable's post since the spring of 1953, was pronounced dead by a physician at the scene after efforts to revive him by the fire department failed. Firemen worked over the stricken man with an inhalator and portable iron lung for 20 minutes.

Funeral services will be Monday at 2 p.m. in the Schilling funeral home. Rev. Father William Lahey officiating. Burial with military rites by the American Legion will be in Dodge Grove Cemetery.

Mr. Cordes, a life long resident of Mattoon, was born July 8, 1893, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cordes. In 1915, he married the former Beulah Turner of Mattoon, who survives.

Mr. Cordes was employed by the Illinois Central Railroad as a brakeman before being elected constable.

The officer collapsed as he left the police court room. Minutes before the attack, he had appeared in good spirits while talking to Assistant City Clerk C. Warren Driskell. Mr. Cordes had been under a doctor's care for a heart ailment.

He was a veteran of World War I, member of the American Legion and a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen.


The Mattoon Journal - Gazette
April 23, 1945 - Monday

Contributed by source #3

Harry A. Cordes, 42, an Illinois Central Railroad employee, died at 10 o'clock Sunday night at his home, 2520 Marshall Avenue. Mr. Cordes had been ill more than three months. Death was due to a heart ailment.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete. Services will be held from the Church of the Immaculate Conception. The body was taken to Phillips Funeral Home.

Mr. Cordes was born August 29, 1902, in Mattoon, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cordes. He had made his home in Mattoon all his life and in 1922, he entered the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad as a yard clerk, a position he retained at the time of his death. On June 15, 1926, he married Margaret Blaine of Linton, Indiana.

Surviving besides his wife are a son, Harry Charles, at home and a brother, Carl Cordes of Mattoon.

Mr. Cordes was a member of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, the Knights of Columbus and the Brotherhood of Railroad Clerks.


The Quincy Journal Newspaper
November 16, 1907

Contributed by source #3

Michael E. Cavanaugh, who was wounded during the Civil War
Died This Morning - Shot in Lung Resulted in Death

A bullet wound received through the lung during the Civil War of 1864, was the indirect cause of the death of Michael E. Cavanaugh, which occurred at his home, 218 North Eight Street, this morning at 5 o'clock. When the war of the rebellion broke out, Mr. Cavanaugh enlisted in Company L, Second Iowa Cavalry, and, while serving as sergeant of this company at the battle of Nashville, Tenn., he was wounded.

He was discharged from the army with the rank of first lieutenant, after three years of service, and later enlisted as a veteran. After the war was over, he served as deputy sheriff of Jackson County, Iowa, for a number of years and about sixteen years ago, moved to Quincy, where he had since resided.

He was born in Sabula, Iowa, August 23, 1840 and was therefore, 67 years, 2 months and 21 days old. He disengaged from the active business life a number of years ago, since which time he had been living in retirement.

Besides a widow, he leaves five children, two daughters and three sons, as follows: Mrs. Chio Smith, Mrs. Tom P. Carter, Eugene and John P., all of this city, and J. M. Cavanaugh of Chicago.


Taken from the Galveston, TX newspaper
April 20, 1925

Contributed by source #3

PRICE - George B. Price, 56 years old, died at St. Mary's Infirmary yesterday morning at 6:50 o'clock. He is survived by a son and daughter in Illinois and a sister in California. Mr. Price had lived in Galveston for twenty years. Funeral arrangements, in charge of F.P. Malloy & Son, will be announced later. Interment at Lake View Cemetery. [The contributor adds: "Internment was in Lake View Cemetery"]


Contributed by source #4

Unknown date, but was probably printed c.1947, unknown newspaper.

PRICE, George M, aged 91 years, a resident of Pleasant Grove township for the past 2 years died.. following an illness of the past several months. He was born in Cumberland County on November 1, 1856 and was the last member of his immediate family.... Mr Price leaves the following daughters: Mrs Lewis Baker of Lerna, Mrs Alber Dryden of Clinton Iowa, Mrs Lewis Dallas of Mattoon, Mrs Herbert Harris of Elmwood and Mrs Paris Gordon of this city; ten grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. His wife Mrs Lucy Price died in June of 1946."


The Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette
Monday, June 24, 1974

Contributed by source #3

Edmund T. Burke
Funeral services for Edmund T.Burke were held at 1:30 p.m. today in Schilling's Funeral Home with burial in Edgewood Cemetery, Edgewood. Rev. Frank Meyers officiated.

Mr. Burke, 58, of 2426 Charleston was pronounced dead on arrival at Memorial Hospital at 6 p.m. Friday. Death was apparently due to a heart attack.


The Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette
Tuesday, July 5, 1921

Contributed by source #3

Special to The Journal-Gazette

Humbolt, Ill. July 5
John E. Bolin, a farmer whose property adjoins Humbolt on the West, dropped dead in front of his house at seven o'clock Monday evening. He had been in the best of health during the day, having been into the village a number of times. He had just returned from a trip to the village when he fell over and died without saying a word. Apoplexy is thought to have been the cause. Coroner Schilling of Mattoon is to hold an inquest late this afternoon.

Mr. Bolin was sixty-four years of age. A widow, two sons, Merle and Frank, and a daughter, Miss Margaret living at home, survive him. Two brothers living in Sullivan, a brother, Roscoe Bolin, living in Broken Bow, Neb., and a sister at Princeton, Ind., also survive.

Mr. Bolin was an elder of the Christian Church and one of the most faithful and active workers.

Arrangements for the funeral will not be made until word has been received from his relatives living at a distance. The burial will take place at Jonathan Creek Cemetery, 14 miles west of Humbolt, where his parents and children are buried.


The Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette
Tuesday, February 4, 1930

Contributed by source #3

William Cavanaugh, a former resident of Mattoon, passed away late Monday afternoon in a Peoria hospital, following an eight weeks' illness from pneumonia fever.

The body was returned here today by James B. Phillips, local undertaker and was taken to the home of Mrs. Charles Newland, 921 Moultrie Avenue, where it will remain until the hour for the funeral. Services will be held at 9:30 o'clock Wednesday morning from the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with Rev. Father Cussak officiating. Interment will follow in Calvary Cemetery.

Surviving are one daughter, Bertha Mary Cavanaugh; three sisters, Mrs. Charles Cordes and Mrs. Charles Newland of Mattoon, and Mrs. Alice Price of Terre Haute, and three brothers, J.J. Cavanaugh and James Cavanaugh, both of Mattoon, and Michael Cavanaugh of Decatur.

Mr. Cavanaugh was born July 26, 1881 in Mattoon, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Cavanaugh. He was married nine years ago in Decatur to Miss Laura Sweice (Sweiss) of that city, who passed away seven years ago.

Mr. Cavanaugh left Mattoon five years ago for Peoria. While in Mattoon, he resided at 601 North Twentieth Street. He was a member of the Catholic Church.


The Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette
Friday, January 16, 1920

Contributed by source #3

One of City's Oldest Residents Succumbs on Thursday Evening -
Funeral on Sunday.

Carl Henry Cordes, one of the city's oldest residents, passed away about 10 o'clock on Thursday evening at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary Howell, 801 Lincoln Avenue. Mr. Cordes had been in poor health for several years, starting with an attack of Erysipelas. Later, he was afflicted with heart troubles, and about six weeks ago, he was compelled to take to his bed. Since that time he had been growing gradually weaker.

Funeral services are to be held some time on Sunday afternoon at the Howell home, burial following in Dodge Grove Cemetery.

Mr. Cordes was born in Germany on December 9, 1830, making him slightly more than eighty-nine years of age. When a boy, he came with his parents to this country, landing at New York on the day Abraham Lincoln was selected to the presidency the second time. He had often told his relatives and intimate friends of the frenzy the people were in at that time, at the close of the Civil War, the family of immigrants being greeted with bonfires in the streets of New York, as well as other manifestations in which the people of the North were showing their jubilation at that time.

Soon after his arrival in this country, Mr. Cordes came to Mattoon when there was only one dwelling on the West side of the Illinois Central. After a few years, he bought a tract of land about two miles south of Lerna where he continued to make his home until about three years ago, when, because of advancing years, he left the farm and came to this city to make his home with his children. Mr. Cordes also possessed a fine farm south of Trilla.

Surviving are four children; Mrs. Howell, this city, where he died; Charles Cordes, 2620 Marshall Avenue, this city; Lewis Cordes, living on the farm near Lerna and Rudolph Cordes, living on the farm near Trilla. Mrs. Cordes, wife and mother, passed away in 1890.


The Mattoon Journal ~ Gazette
Tuesday, September 10, 1940

Contributed by source #3

John J. Cavanaugh died at 3:50 o'clock this morning at his home, 808 North Twenty-second Street, after an illness of seven weeks. Death was due to complications incident to old age. Mr. Cavanaugh was 78 years old.

The funeral will be held at 9:30 o'clock Thursday morning at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with Rev. Father T.G. Smith officiating. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery.

Mr. Cavanaugh was born May 9, 1862 in Mattoon, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Cavanaugh. He attended the local schools. Mr. Cavanaugh's first wife died before the turn of the century. In 1901, he married Miss Mary Reynolds of Mattoon. For a number of years, he was a locomotive fireman on the Big Four Railroad. Later, he became a blacksmith in the Big Four shops.

Surviving besides his second wife are a son, John of Indianapolis; a daughter, Mrs. Adolph Huber of Mattoon; three sisters, Mrs. Mary Cordes and Mrs. Bertha Newland of Mattoon and Mrs. Alice Price of Terre Haute; a brother, Michael, of Decatur; two grandchildren and a great grandchild.

Mr. Cavanaugh was a lifelong member of the Church of the Immaculate Conception and was a member of the Blacksmiths' Association.

William Baily

DIED: In this town of the 28th inst., Mr. Wm. C. Baily, a highly respectable citizen, aged about 35 years.

Return to the Main Index Page for Coles County