Illinois Genealogy Trails

History of the 123rd
Illinois Infantry

September 20: The regiment remounted and moved with its brigade back through Chattanooga, and crossed the river, moved up to Fryer's Island.  Sergeant Major R.W. Houghton was killed and Captain W.E. Adams, Company I, was wounded at Chickamauga.
September 24: Major Connolly was detailed to serve as inspector of the 3rd Division, 14th Corps (General Reynolds) and, on the reorganization  of the army, the Division of Reynolds and Brannan were consolidated under common of Baird and Major Connolly, from that time until the close of the war, served as inspector of this consolidated vision, engaging in the siege of Chattanooga, battles of Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Ringgold, Resaca, Atlanta Campaign, Sherman's march to Savannah and through the Carolinas and Virginia to Washington.
October 1:  The regiment started up the river under General Cook to intercept Wheeler in his raid toward Nashville.
October 7:  Engaged in the battle at Farmington, Tenn., in which Wheeler was severely punished and driven from the state, and where Colonel James Monroe was killed. Sergeant Catlin and Corporal Shope were killed also, and many others wounded.  Followed Wheeler and drove him across the Tennessee River.
October 19:  Went into camp at Maysville, Ala., and spent some 2 months there patrolling the surrounding country and collecting horses, thence to Pulaksi, Tenn., where two or three weeks were spent in shelter tents, with snow a foot deep and zero weather.  Thence to Mooresville, Ala about the middle of January 1864, and guarded the Tennessee River, gathering rations and forage in northern Alabama until April, then marched to Columbia, Tenn., remaining there a few weeks; then started to join General Sherman for the Atlanta campaign, passing through Stevenson, Ala; May 6 and camping at foot of Sand Mountain, 7 miles from Bridgeport.
Moved over Sand Mountain through Trenton into Georgia, in Lookout Valley; thence over Lookout Mountain to Chickamauga Creek May 8; thence via Pigeon Gap to Lafayette, across Taylor's Ridge to Villenow, 15 miles from Dalton and fell in with the army May 11.
May 14:  Moved towards Rome, GA with Sherman's Cavalry, but the Cavalry encountered Forrest's Cavalry and Polk's Infantry Corps and retreated, this regiment being on foot and covering the retreat, wherein their Spencer rifles came into good play.
May 16: At 3 o'clock p.m., started for the front of Sherman's Army, passing on the way the Division of Jeff. C. Davis, en route for Rome, GA., and a 1 o'clock next morning camped on battlefield where Logan's Corp fought for the crossing of the Oostenaula River.
May 17:  Turned again and moved 18 miles toward Rome.  May 18, continued toward Rome, turned toward Kingston, GA and at Woodland ran into a rebel force where Adjutant Hamlin was captured.
May 19:  The regiment moved to Rome, the rest of the brigade going to Kingston, where the regiment rejoined it the same night.
May 20: The entire brigade and Garrard's Division of Cavalry behind fortifications at High Tower Bridge.
May 21:  Captain O.F Bane detailed as Adjutant General of Brigade, and Lieutenant J.R. Harding relieved as Provost Marshal of Brigade and detailed as Regimental Adjutant.
May 23: Moved 15 miles southwest to Van Wert.
May 24: Crossed Allatoona Mountains into valley at Dallas and overtook rear guard of Johnston's army, skirmishing heavily with them.
May 25:  Moved out of bivouac into line of battle on foot and held line under heavy fire until Logan's Corps came up, when mounting, moved to right flank.
May 27:  Dismounted behind rail piles on extreme right of army, skirmishing all day; repulsed several charges.  By this time, the men had acquired so much confidence in their Spencer rifles that the single rank formation for line of battle was much better than the double rank used to be with the muzzle loaders.
May 29:  Changed position during night to extreme left of army.
June 1: Regiment reported to General McPherson and went into picket southwest of Dallas on extreme right of army again; constant skirmishing.  Covered movement of right wing in changing lines to rear.
June 8:  On extreme left of army at Ackworth.  June 9 with Division, reconnaissance to Big Shanty, driving enemy into their earthworks at foot of Kenesaw Mountain.  Four men of regiment wounded on skirmish line.  June 10: Moved 4 miles to left of big Shanty, hold left of army;  fortified along Noonday Creek.
June 19: Moved with the Brigade out of fortifications and drove the enemy beyond the creek into their fortifications.  On 20th, another similar advance, with heavy skirmishing, resulting as before.
June 22: Made a 40 mile scout eastward to Canton and back, halting at noon on Governor Joe Brown's farm.  June 23, regiment moved with Garrard's Division of Cavalry across Noonday Creek.  Daily skirmishing until July 2, when the regiment covered the withdrawal of McPherson's Corps again, preparatory to a change of front.
July 3: Followed the retreating enemy through Marietta, GA.
July 4, 1864: Skirmishing nearly all day with the enemy, between Marietta and the Chattahoochie, with the Chicago Board of Trade Battery well up to the skirmish line all the time.
July 5:  Moved toward Roswell, GA.  July 9 waded the Chattahoochie River as Roswell, under fire of enemy from opposite bank, and lay all day on south bank, after driving the enemy away, as cover for the crossing of our troops, wading back at night to horses and bed.  July 15, Lieutenant Colonel Biggs led the regiment, together with the 72nd Indiana and 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry to Cross Keys, within 13 miles of Atlanta.  July 18, destroyed railroad between Decatur and Stone Mountain station and on 19th captured Stone Mountain Station.  On 20th moved to Decatur.  22nd and 23rd of July, on a raid to Oxford and Covington, GA.

More of the history of the 123rd

Return to Main Index Page