History & Genealogy of
Presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
© Kim Torp
Cities, Towns & Villages within Berwyn Township:
Cemeteries in Berwyn
Woodlawn Cemetery, Waldheim Cemetery, Saint Johns Cemetery, Resurrection Cemetery, Mount Auburn Memorial Park,
Jewish Cemeteries, Forest Home Cemetery, Bethania Cemetery
Created from Cicero Township.
WALTER HOBERT WATTERSON, M. D., F. A.
C. P., has had long and varied experience in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis, and in this special field
of practice has held executive positions of important order. He is now chief of the tuberculosis section at the
great Hines Hospital for United States war veterans, a government institution that is maintained in the Chicago
suburban district now known as Hines.
Doctor Watterson was born at Fairbury, Livingston County, Illinois, February 12, 1875, and is a son of William
and Catherine (Crebbin) Watterson, both of whom were born on the Isle of Man, off the English coast. William Watterson
represented Illinois as a gallant soldier of the Union in the Civil war, and as a member of the One Hundred Twelfth
Illinois Volunteer Infantry participated in many engagements, including the battle of Resaca, Georgia, where he
was severely wounded-in the receiving of a skull fracture. He was a resident of Kankakee, Illinois, at the time
of his death, in 1921.
The Illinois public schools afforded Dr. Walter Hobart Watterson his early education, and in 1901 he was graduated
in the medical department of Northwestern University. After receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he was engaged
in general practice in North Chicago three years, but during the greater part of his professional career he has
specialized in tuberculosis. His impaired health led him to seek recuperation in Colorado, and in that state he
served during the period of 1905-08 as assistant director of the Y. M. C. A. health farm near Denver. In 1908 he
re turned to Illinois and became medical director of the Lake Breeze Sanatorium at Waukegan, a position in which
he continued his service until 1913. In the early part of the following year he initiated his service as head physician
of the Cook County Tuberculosis Hospital, at Oak Forest, and from that post he retired to become medical superintendent
of the Municipal Tuberculosis Sanatorium of Chicago. He assumed this latter position in 1917 and his service therein
continued until the following year, when he resigned and enlisted for professional World war service in the United
States Army. He was immediately assigned to the army school in Tuberculosis at United States General Hospital No.
16, in Connecticut. A month later he was made active chief of the service in that hospital. October 16, 1918, he
was promoted from the rank of captain to that of major in the Medical Corps of the United States Army and was assigned
to the office of chief of service at United States General Hospital No. 18, Waynesville, North Carolina. In February,
1919, he was made chief of the service of combined hospitals that were formed at United States General Hospital
No. 42, at Camp Wadsworth, South Carolina.
Doctor Watterson was honorably discharged July 8, 1919, and was given assignment as expert in tuberculosis for
the Federal Board for Vocational Education, Washington, D.C. He was later transferred to the United States Public
Health Service, in which he was as signed to duty in Chicago November 1, 1919. With the erection and equipment
of the Ed ward Hines Hospital for disabled war veterans, he was transferred to that Government institution near
Chicago, where in February, 1921, he became instructor in tuberculosis, and in 1923 was advanced to his present
office of chief of the tuberculosis section. Doctor Watterson puts his heart, his exceptional technical ability
and experience and his professional and patriotic loyalty into the service at the Hines Hospital, and he has done
a splendid work in aiding the many veterans there under treatment for tuberculous disorders. He is a past president
of the Chicago Tuberculosis Society, is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and has membership in the
American Medical Association. He maintains his home in the Chicago suburb of La Grange, and there is affiliated
with LaGrange Post, No. 41, American Legion.
Doctor Watterson married Miss Willa R. Meredith, of Chicago, and they have two children: Lucile Frances was graduated
in the University of Wisconsin and is now a teacher of the French language in the public schools of Naperville,
Illinois, and Robert Irving is, in 1932, a student in the University of Arizona.
The Chicago Public Library has in its Neighborhood History Research Collection a Berwyn, Il. Scrapbook (Call number:
Archives_BER) covering items from 1901-1908. The description of it is as follows: "One scrapbook of newsclippings,
announcements and flyers . . . This Scrap Book, relating to the history of Berwyn, Illinois, is presented to the
Cook County Historical Society. June 14, 1909. Compiled by Gideon S. Morrison"
The item unfortunately does not circulate, but is available at the library for viewing.
Berwyn Public Library
2701 Harlem Ave
Stickney-Forest View Library
6800 43rd St
Berwyn City Hall
6700 West 26th Street
Berwyn, IL 60402
Phone (708) 788-2660
Berwyn Historical Society
1241 Oak Park Ave
Return to the Cook County Index Page