Biographies of Chicagoans
presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
(View the Biography Index to view a complete list of transcribed data)
AUGUST BECK, for nearly forty years an active business man of Chicago, and one of the city's most popular German-American residents, passed away at his home in that city, on the morning of March 5, 1897; Mr. Beck had not only a distinct and pleasing personality, but he had as well, in happily blended combination, a nicety and precision of mental adjustment that made him at all times, and under all circumstances, the master of every business complication.
He was born August 8, 1830, at Steinbach, in the Grand Duchy of Hessen, and was descended from a family which has included among its members, in the last century, a number of men high in the political and official circles of Germany. His father, Frederick Wilhelm Beck, was born July 29, 1800, in Bersraq, Grand Duchy of Hessen, and was a school teacher, being employed previous to 1840 in Grosskarben, and thereafter, until 1870, at Giessen, where he died in 1883. Here was celebrated in 187_ the golden wedding anniversary of himself and, his estimable wife, in the presence of all their children. February 13, 1825, Mr. Beck was married to Miss Elizabeth Sang, who was born November 17, 1807, in Sauerbach, Hessen. She died in 1877, in her seventieth year.
August Beck was educated at the gymnasium of Giessen,. and when eighteen years old entered the employ of a leaf tobacco house at Mannheim. Later he was with G. W.Gail & Company. of Giessen, manufacturers of tobacco, with whom he continued several years. In 1854 he came to the United States and entered the branch house of the same company at Baltimore. He came to Chicago in 1855, and July 17 of that year he began business under the firm name of August Beck & Company, handling tobacco at wholesale and manufacturing; cigars. The latter part of the business, however, he soon abandoned. In 1857 he entered into a partnership with Mr. Carl Wirth, under the style of Beck & Wirth. After the death of Mr. Wirth the concern was incorporated in 1881, Mr. Beck becoming president. In this capacity he labored with untiring zeal to promote his business interests, in which he was eminently successful.
The disastrous conflagration of 1887 I swept away almost his entire fortune of about one hundred thousand dollars. But he was not disheartened by this catastrophe. To him this was but an incident in his career, and the iron-like quality of the man asserted itself. On the ashes of his fortune, he resolutely set about re-organizing his affairs. His integrity and probity of character had been thoroughly established in his fourteirt years of ceaseless business activity, and the great confidence which he enjoyed in commercial circles is attested by the fact that on the day after the Great Fire he received from the well-known firm of C. F. Tag & Son, of New York, a telegram authorizing him to draw upon them for seventy-five thousand dollars.
With everything gone but his good name, he established himself squarely on the principles of his high code of honor, scorning to take advantage of his creditors by forcing a liquidation of his indebtedness at a discount, as many did. He steadfastly. refused to make any proposition of settlement on a compromise basis. For years he toiled early and late, with an eye single to one purpose-that of recovering from his losses; and in time he paid every creditor in full, with interest; declining every other settlement, He traveled 'extensively throughout the territory in which he sold goods, and thereby laid the solid foundation of the success of the present firm, largely upon personal acquaintance with jobbersand merchants of the retail trade. In 1892 he laid aside the active cares of his large business his son-in-law, Otto C. Schneider, purchasing his interest. The latter insisted, however, upon Mr. Beck retaining the title of president in the corporation, which he did.
Mr. Beck traveled extensively abroad, and crossed the ocean ten times, to visit his beloved Fatherland. His love for the country of his nativity in no sense detracted from his loyalty to the land of his adoption. He was thoroughly American in his views, and loved the institutions of this country, and he enjoyed thoroughly and to the fullest extent the liberties and advantages all enjoy in common in this favored land. His family connections in Germany are or the highest order. His eldest brother, William Beck, in Darmstadt, enjoys the distinction of being a Privy Councillor to the Grand Duke of Hessen. His brother-in- law, at Mayence, has been a member of the German Reichstag, and his youngest brother, Charles Beck, whose place of residence is in Havana, Cuba, has the honor of representing different countries as Consul to' 'The Pearl of the Antilles."
Mr. Beck was Consul of the Grand Duchy of Hessen at Chicago, from 1866 to 1871, and when he retired from that service was decorated by the Grand Duke with the "Ritterkreuz of the Order of Philip the Magnanimous." He was an honored member of the Germania Club of Chicago, and was a supporter of the Republican party in American politics, but was not a politician, always declining to become a candidate for political preferment.
In 1857 he was married to Miss Louise Gerlach, of Frankfort-on-the-Main. She died in 1893, leaving three children, namely: William . C. , Charles F. , and Emily, the wife of Otto C. Schneider.
Mr. Beck's last continental trip was made in 1894, upon which occasion he visited Egypt and other remote lands. While on the African continent his health became impaired, but he was greatly benefited by a sojourn of several weeks in the pure air of the mountains of Switzerland. Upon his return from this trip he lived a quiet life, at his comfortable home on La Salle Avenue, surrounded by his children and grandchildren, to whom he was devotedly attached. He was one of the most companionable of men, and his congenial, sunny nature always made all who came into his presence feel at ease. He was well informed and a pleasing conversationalist. His leisure hours were whiled away at his favorite pastime, the intricate game of skat, at which he was considered an expert player. Said one who knew him well. His loyalty to friends, the perfect simplicity and frankness of his character, and the total absence of affectation and outward display made him an exceptionally good friend to all who enjoyed his confidence." [Source: "Album of Genealogy and Biography, 1897" Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
AUGUST HUBERT BUSSE was born November 10, 1867, in a house which stood on an alley between Commercial and Houston Avenues and Ninety-second and Ninety-third Streets. This house was subsequently moved to No. 9205 Commercial Avenue, where it still stands. August H. Busse is a son of August and Caroline (Albert) Busse. He received his eduction in the common schools of Chicago, part of the time attending the Bowen School. At the age of fourteen years he was obliged to leave his studies to attend to the more serious duties of life. He was first employed in the planing mill of Crandall, Fisher & Company, now belonging to Kratzer & Fisher. After spending a year with this firm, he was employed a year in the drug store of Arnold & Merrill, and then became engaged in carpenter work for Otto Schoening, with whom he remained about one year.
May 9, 1885, Mr. Busse entered the service of the City Fire Department, as a driver at first, and truckman afterwards. In a fire which occurred in December, 1888, his left hand was injured, the small bones in his left knee were broken, and he received an injury in his side, so that he was compelled to remain at home six months. The fire which caused him so much suffering was on Mackinaw Avenue, between Eight-fifth and Eighty-sixth Streets.
Upon his recovery from injuries received while in the fire department, Mr. Busse resolved to find other employment, and accordingly, on May 23, 1889, he joined the police force as patrolman, and for the past two years has been employed as messenger in the South Chicago Station. In his business life he has attended strictly to the duties of his position, and has always shown a disposition to rise in station. While serving at a large fire May 8, 1897, Mr. Busse took a severe cold, which brought on hemorrhage of the left lung, and incapacitated him from active duty for many months.
Mr. Busse was married April 2, 1890, to Miss Catherine, daughter of Joseph and Catherine Leiendecker. They are the parents of the following children: Joseph, Frederick William and George Augustus. Mr. Busse and his family are communicants of the Roman Catholic Church, and he is connected with the Policemen's Benevolent Association. He is a man of genial and pleasant manner, and has many firm friends, by whom his merits and character are appreciated. (Source: Album of Genealogy and Biography, 1897 Transcribed by Dori Leekley)
ULRICK LOUIS DURAND, of Tavenner & Durand, boarding, feed and sale stables, was born at Lyons, France, in 1854, and when young immigrated with his parents to Montreal, Canada, where he learned the trade of painter. In 1871 he moved to Springfield, Mass., and there worked at his trade. Coming West in 1876 he located at the Union Stock Yards and engaged in business as a house and sign painter. He sold out this and on October 1, 1883, embarked in his present business in company with James W. Tavenner, an old and experienced livery-man. The firm have a nice stock of horses, and are building up a good business. [Source: "HISTORY OF EARLY CHICAGO MODERN CHICAGO AND ITS SETTLEMENT EARLY CHICAGO, AND THE NORTHWEST BY ALBERT D. HAGER, page 675. Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
JOHN LYONS, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, was born in Ireland in March, 1848, and reared on a farm, He served five years in Her Majesty's Life Guards, and in 1869 came to New York, where he resided some fifteen months. In 1871 he came to Chicago and engaged in business as a retail dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, and has been engaged in that line of business ever since. In 1873 he removed to the town of Lake, and has since continued there. Mr. Lyons is an active politician and a stanch Democrat. He is a charter member of General Washington Lodge, A. O. F. [Source: HISTORY OF EARLY CHICAGO MODERN CHICAGO AND ITS SETTLEMENT EARLY CHICAGO, AND THE NORTHWEST BY ALBERT D. HAGER, page 664 Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
FRANK F. HENNING, President of the German-American Hospital, of Chicago, has been connected with business interests and philanthropic institutions in that city for a third of a century. He was born May 3, 1840, in the city of Gransee, Germany, and is the eldest son of Frederick and Henriette (Kanow) Henning. The family is of Swiss descent, the ancestors having left Switzerland about 1780, on account of religious persecutions.
Frederick Henning and his wife were natives of the same part of Germany as their son, Frank F. He was by trade a harness-maker, but later cultivated a farm and, about 1848, decided to emigrate to America, but as his father objected, he went into the country and bought a farm, which he conducted until he came to the United States. In 1855, the parents, with six children, sailed from Bremen on the sailing ship 'Othien,' and five weeks later landed at New York. They came to Chicago, and after remaining a week, removed to Port Washington, Wisconsin.
They finally settled about six miles from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, where Frederick Henning bought one hundred sixty acres of timber land, which he cleared, and cultivated several years, He is now living retired in Manitowoc. Of his ten children six were born in the Fatherland and four in Wisconsin. Only five of these are now living, namely: Frank F., the eldest; Paulina, now Mrs. Schroeder; Henrietta, wife of George Bodmer, of Chicago; Emma and Matilda. The mother died in 1893, aged eighty-four years, and the father has reached the age of eighty-six years.
Frank F. Henning was reared on his father's farm and educated in the common schools of his native city. In 1859 he left home with only one dollar in his pocket to make his own way in the world. He worked at loading a cargo on a vessel at Monitowoc and unloading it at Chicago, to pay his passage to the latter city. From there he walked to Morris, Illinois, a distance of sixty miles, where he found employment on a farm at eight dollars a month. Here he attended school during the winter of 1859-1860. July 28, 1861, he enlisted at Aurora, for three years, in the Union Army, and was mustered September 12th of that year, in the Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D. His regiment was assigned to the Western Division, and saw hard service in Missouri and Arkansas, and he participated in all the engagements where his regiment acted. Mr. Henning's first engagement was at Pea Ridge, and he was wounded at the battle of Stone River in the foot, head and right hip. He was taken, more dead than alive, to the field hospital, and after the wounds were dressed, he was sent to the hospital at Nashville. From here he was sent to Cincinnati, and was discharged in July, 1863, for disability. Upon his discharge he returned to his home in Wisconsin, where he remained until the early spring of 1864, and since that time has been a resident of the city of Chicago. He found employment with Lohn & Koenig, for a time, in gluing chairs; then as salesman and bookkeeper, and in 1867 he bought a quarter interest in the business, the firm then becoming Koenig, Henning & Gamer. Their business was located at Nos. 48 and 50 Fifth Avenue, where the fire of 1871 wiped them out, and left them with a debt of twenty-five thousand dollars, which was the amount of insurance they carried, but they were able to obtain only six thousand dollars therefrom.
Immediately after the fire the firm built a furniture factory, and in a year and a-half paid their liabilities. Mr. Henning remained a member of this firm until the spring of 1881. About 1878 a German Young Men's Christian Association was organized, of which Mr. Henning became president; its members visited hospitals, jails and poorhouses. Being of a sympathetic nature, Mr. Henning became interested in the sufferings of humanity and their alleviation, and decided to devote the remainder of his life to philanthropic work. He had acquired a comfortable competence, and when he retired from manufacturing, in December, 1883, he secured the incorporation of the German Hospital, and in 1884 it was opened in a building owned by Mr. Henning. Most of the funds for the foundation of this institution were raised by Mr. Henning, who was its president. It was located at No. 242 Lincoln Avenue, where he donated two years' rent. The present site of this hospital was purchased in 1886, Mr. Henning advancing three thousand dollars for the first payment, and a year later nine thousand dollars for building purposes. Its generous benefactor was president until 1896, when he resigned and withdrew, on account of differences of opinion among some of the directors and physicians.
The hospital had accumulated property worth sixty thousand dollars, with an endowment fund of twenty-one thousand dollars, and for thirteen years Mr. Henning had devoted his time and energy to it, with no compensation in money. In 1886 he organized a deaconess' society for the purpose of procuring trained nurses, and failing to get enough in this way, they branched out and erected a large building for a nurses' training school, which is now used as the German-American Hospital. Nurses have received two years' training when they graduate from this institution, and about fifty nurses have been graduated. Thus this institution is not only a hospital, but a training school for nurses. The noble founder cared not for honor or glory to himself in this good work, but found his compensation in the lives made happier and better, and the benefit of his fellow-creatures from the results of his time and study.
In 1893 Mr. Henning was one of the prime movers in organizing the Bethesda Industrial Home, at Morton Grove, Cook County, Illinois, for the aged, infirm and helpless. In 1894. a printing office was established at the home to assist in defraying the expenses. This has proved a success, and there are now two monthy papers issued from it. Mr. Henning has ever since been connected with its management. Though he is a firm supporter of Republican principles, he could never be induced to accept office for himself.
He has been twice married. June 28, 1866, he wedded Miss Dorothy Gamus, a native of Hanover, Germany, and they had six children, of whom three are living, namely: Frank, Arthur, and Oswald. The mother died in 1881. February 28, 1883, he was united in marriage with Miss Emily Buerstatte, daughter of Henry and Maria (Meister) Buerstatte. She was born in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. They have three children, Meta, Laura, and Walter. Mr. Henning has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, and is known for his good works in all parts of the great metropolis. His example is worthy of study and emulation, and he is honored and admired by all. He has been connected with the Chicago Avenue Church (Moody's) a number of years. [Source: "Album of Genealogy and Biography, 1897" Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
Peter Jackson, who is an old settler in Chicago, having lived here since 1870, was born in September, 1852 in County Carlow, Ireland, and is a son of William and Mary (Wynne) Jackson, natives of that country. He received his early education in his native land, and improved his opportunities for advancement in that country, but he was an ambitious youth and not satisfied with his prospects there, so decided to come to the new world.
Previous to the age of eighteen years he emigrated to the United States, coming direct to the "City by the Lake," which has since been his residence. His brother James came to Chicago and remained a short time, and another brother, William J., emigrated later, and located in New York City, where he still resides. He was formerly employed as a buyer by A. T. Stewart.
Peter Jackson realized the advantage of continuing at one trade through life, and accordingly satisfied himself of his abilities for his life work before beginning it. He decided to enter the employ of a railroad corporation, and he was compelled to begin with a small salary and a place at the bottom round of the ladder. By his careful study and attention to details, and his perseverance, he was able to advance to the responsible position of conductor, which position he held for about eight years. He is now a stationary engineer, and has the confindence and esteem of his associates and fellow citizens.
December 31, 1874, Mr. Jackson married Mary Josephine Kilcran, a daughter of Frank Kilcran, whose biography may be found on another page of this book. They had eight children, six of whom are living, namely William, Mary, Sarah, Jane, Frank, and Ellen. Mr. Jackson, as well as his parents and relatives in Ireland, are members of the Episcopal Church. He is a true and loyal citizen of the United States, and takes an interest in the affairs of the country. In national political matters he is a Republican, but is independent in local politics. [Source: "Album of Genealogy and Biography, 1897" Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
JOHN RANDOLPH HOXIE. Chicago, the Queen of our Great West, is indebted for its marvelous growth and rapid development, which have caused the whole world to acknowledge its commercial greatness, to a few men, who, to lay the foundations of metropolitan supremacy, gave the best of their heart's blood, their brain power, and nerve forces. The majority have as their reward wealth or honor, but few have both. Among the active business men who have acquired both was the subject of this sketch, who obtained it through close attention to business, and unswerving integrity and uprightness of character. John R. Hoxie was born December 13, 1831, in Macedon, near Rochester, New York, and his parents were Cornelius and Anna (Brawnell) Hoxie. He received a partial education in the Macedon Academy, but as his tastes impelled him to use every opportunity for learning business ways, his schooldays were thus cut short. Many stories of his youthful trading propensities illustrate his ability in doing well for himself, and in him could plainly be seen the future financier and business man. On one occasion he wished to buy a fish-hook, but as his finances were low, he applied to the banker of the town, who lent him three cents. After catching and disposing of the fish he very promptly paid his debt, thus winning the esteem of his creditor. At the age of fourteen years he bought all the turkeys in the neighborhood and realized a handsome profit on them. At seventeen years of age he was able to buy his "time" or independence from his father, for one thousand dollars. He was always prudent with his earnings, and many times walked from Albany to Rochester to save the fare by stage.
Mr. Hoxie became a sub-contractor on the Niagara Falls Railroad at an early age, and later was in the same position on the Staten Island Railroad. While in the latter position the yellow fever began raging and he was quarantined, but finally escaped to the mainland. After spending nearly two years in Virginia he returned to Rochester, New york, where he became a dealer in live stock, which he shipped over the Michigan southern and other Railroads. His fame as a man of great business tact and ability spread over many States, and in 1857 he received an offer to assist in the management of the shipping business of the Michigan Southern Railroad, with headquarters in Chicago. This offer was received by telegram, and hastily packing his satchel, he told his mother hw would return in a few days; but the days lengthened into weeks, months, and years, and he did not return home until 1862. The officers of the company recognized his ability, and the position of stock agent was offered him, which he accepted and retained during his connection with the road.
At this time the company was almost bankrupt, but Mr. Hoxie infused new life into the business by building up the freight traffic, thus saving it from financial ruin. For this service the company was ever truly grateful, and he was retained in office long after his active interest ceased. Largely through his influence the Railroad was able to retain its controlling interest in the Union Stock Yards, and the profits from the tremendous traffic in live stock thus brought to it. When a combined effort was made by the other roads to induce Mr. Hoxie to retire from the service of the Michigan Southern, he declined every consideration offered him, and remained faithful though all temptation.
From early morning until late eve did he labor in the interest of this road, and this was practically his life work. He foresaw great possibilities in its future, and steadily strove to carry it forward to its destiny. His nature rejoiced in victory over opposition, and the sharp competition he often met was refreshing to his restless spirit, and a stimulus to greater exertions. He loved work for its own sake, not for praise and reward. In the end, however, he paid the usual penalty for living under such high pressure, by the invasion of sickness and premature death. His nature could not rest, and though his life was shorter, he accomplished much more than the majority of business men.
Though an extremely busy man, he was always cheerful, and liked the society of his fellows. He was, however, a stranger to the fashionable clubs, and made his home the scene of his rest and recreation. His wife was a worthy life companion, and her delight was to make the home pleasant, having a serene manner, a contented disposition, and being a great help to her husband in curbing his great ambition and teaching him the lessons of patience. As soon as he was able Mr. Hoxie began to invest money in securities, and so good was his foresight that he became wealthy. In 1878 he bought a large grant of land from the heirs of Dr. Hoxie, a veteran of the Texan and the Mexican Wars, and an army surgeon under General Houston. This grant embraced ten thousand acres of land in Williamson County, Texas, to which he added another purchase of seven thousand acres. It is situated thirty-five miles from Austin, and six thousand acres of it have been cultivated, and fifty families reside on it.
Mr. Hoxie also bought fifty-two thousand acres of land at Midland, Texas, in the Counties of Martin and Andrews, this land being used for grazing. Beside his mansion on Michigan Avenue, he had a country home twenty-one miles south of Chicago, which included seven hundred fifty-seven acres of land. Here he spent many hours away from the cares of business life, and lived close to the heart of Nature. On all his farms he has kept the building in excellent repair, having built many new ones. Unlike most business men, he early instructed his wife in the details of his affairs, being animated by the principle that what was his also belonged to her. To this wise precaution his widow now largely owes her ability to manage the property with such success.
Mr. Hoxie made annual trips to his possessions in the South, and to every one of these Texas owned some improvement and he many times used his influence in opening some avenue of commerce. In 1887 he decided to retire from business, but never fully carried out his intention. When he was in Texas he made his headquarters at Fort Worth and there he was held in high esteem by all the inhabitants, and especially the business men. Prior to his coming to this town the business was very dull, but he inspired confidence by organizing the Farmers and Mechanics' National Bank, with a capital of one million dollars. He was the president of this bank and also of the First National Bank at Taylor, Texas. He was connected with twenty other banks in this State, his influence and standing giving them power to exist.
In 1891, at the urgent request of the citizens of Fort Worth, he organized Stock Yards and Packing Houses, and the next year passed through a strike which made his presence at the yards necessary. This was such a severe strain on his finely organized nervous constitution that he never recovered his former health. A small benefit was gained at Carlsbad Springs, Germany, but nothing could entirely stay the ravages of the disease, diabetes, from which his death resulted. He passed away November 21, 1896.
Mr. Hoxie was a talented man, and had many charming traits of character. His influence was ever for good and his advice in municipal affairs was often sought and freely given. He was president of the Board of Trustees of Hyde Park and a school trustee in the town of Lake. During the centennial year he was a candidate for Congress on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated. Though he never afterward held any office his influence was such that he controlled many positions of trust and responsibility. His rare wit and skillful repartee may be said to be gifts inherited from his mother, well-known for her good sense and quick perception.
Mr. Hoxie became interested in the Chicago City Railway Company and was instrumental in extending the cable lines, being for many years one of the largest individual stockholders. He was many times the youngest member of various boards of management, where he was nevertheless recognized as a born leader. His associates often called him "Boy", among these being such men as Silas B. Cobb, Daniel Jones, Solomon Sturges, Lyman Blair, John DeKoven, Samuel Nickerson, Lyman J. Gage, John B. Sherman, P. D. Armour, Samuel Allerton, and others equally well-known. He was called the "Mogul" of the Stock Yards Railroad along Fortieth street, which was secured by his indefatigable energy.
In his business methods Mr. Hoxie was unlike the average man. Though possessed of sufficient ability to carry on numerous vast business enterprises at the same time, he never used books to record his transactions, but so carefully was everything systematized that he suffered no loss from this fact. His was an eccentric character, but he was no recluse, and enjoyed rare friendships. He was well-known in Masonic circles, having attained the thirty-second degree. His wealth was accumulated in legitimate way, and his only extravagance was indulged in providing for the comfort of his family. In religious belief he was a Quaker, and helped build and maintain the church at Twenty-six Street and Indiana Avenue. The principles of his forefathers seemed to be the guide and rule of his life.
Mr. Hoxie was married October 22, 1872, to Mary J., daughter of P.D. Hamilton. Among the Quakers she was known as "John's wife," but her husband always spoke of her with deference as Mrs. Mary J. Hoxie. Their union was blessed by three children, namely; John R., Junior, Gilbert H. and Anna C. [Source: "Album of Genealogy and Biography, 1897" p. 7, Transcribed by Dori Leekley]
CHARLES JAMES FAULKNER, JR., has for a quarter of a century been a member of the legal staff of Armour & Company at Chicago. He is now the chief counsel for this great Chicago packing corporation. Mr. Faulkner is not only an able and successful lawyer, but a man whose name is identified with a number of Chicago organizations and institutions that express the civic, educational and social ideals of the community.
He was born at Martinsburg, West Virginia, August 23, 1877, son of Charles James and Sallie (Winn) Faulkner. His father, who for 12 years represented West Virginia in the U.S. Senate, was born September 21, 1847, also at Martinsburg. He was a son of Charles James and mary Wagner (Boyd) Faulkner. Mr. Faulkner's grandfather also had a distinguished public and diplomatic career and was at one time American minister to France.
Charles James Faulkner Jr., was educated in Washington and Lee University of Virginia, where he took his B.L. degree in 1898. In 1899 he came to Chicago, and was associated with the prominent law firm of Peck, Miller & Starr until 1903. He then engaged in general practice and in 1905 was appointed attorney for Armour & Company. He was assistnat general counsel from 1914 to 1917, and since the latter year has been general counsel. He is also a member of the board of directors of Armour & Company. He has been associated with many important legal matters. In 1911 he was one of counsel represeting American interest in the famous controversy with the German Potash Syndicate. He was also one of the counsel in 1915 handling claims of American meat packers resulting from British seizure of shipments en route to neutral countries. IN 1923 he was in charge of legal matters pertaining to the refinancing of Armour & Company, its acquisition of the MOrris & Company properties and the subsequent litigation before the secretary of agriculture growing out of such acquisition. As counsel for the company he has represented it in the so-called Packers' Consent Decree and the various litigation arising therefrom and in other important legal cases.
Mr. Fulkner is a member of the board of trustees of the Armour Institute of Technology and of the Armour mission. He is a member of the Chicago, illinois State nad Amercian Bar Associations, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the Southern Society of Chicago, Sons of th American Revolution, and is a Phi Gamma Delta and Phi Beta Kappa. He has membershi in some of Chicago's most exclusive clubs, inclduing the Chicago Club,t he Chicago Athletic Club, the Exmoor Country Club and also belongs to the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase Clubs of Washington.
Mr. Fulkner married, October 12, 1907, Miss Elizabeth Durkee, of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. (pg. 9, ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
FRANK GRANGER LOGAN is a Chicagoan whose life has been both intensive and extensive In the expression of his manifold interests he has not only satisfied his wide range of taste and intellectual diversion, but has broadened in notable degree the cultural opportunities of his home city.
Mr. Logan was born in Cayuga County, New York, October 7, 1851, son of Simeon Ford and Phoebe (Hazen) Logan. His first American ancestor was John Logan, who came from Scotland and settled in Connecticut in 1718. A son of John Logan was Matthew Logan a soldier of the American Revolution. Frank G. Logan's grandfather was Johnson Logan, who was born March 2, 1768. A brother of Frank G. Logan was the late Theron Logan, who also became a member of the firm of Logan & Bryant, but retired before his death, which occurred in 1928. Frank G. Logan attended country schools in New York and the academy at Ithaca in that state. He was nineteen years of age when he arrived in Chicago, in November, 1870, about a year before the great fire. For some five years he was a clerk in the dry goods house of Field, Leiter & Company. In the spring of 1876 he entered the employ of Couch, Johnson & Elwell on the Chicago Board of Trade, and in October, 1877, organized a business of his own, under the title of P. G. Logan & Company, brokers and commission merchants, join- ing the Board of Trade and later other exchanges of the country, including the New York and Boston Stock Exchanges, building up one of the foremost businesses in securities and grain in the country, establishing agencies and branch offices throughout the nation, connecting them with the home office by a great system of private wires, the origin of which system was conceived and first put in operation by him in 1890. F. G. Logan & Company and its successors, Logan & Bryan, has for half a century been and is one of the leading grain and securities brokerage houses in America. It is a great commercial distinction to have been the founder of an institution that has continued actively and successfully for more than fifty years. Mr. Logan retired from active business when fifty years of age, on July 1, 1901, but two of his sons later joined the organization, retiring at the beginning of the great war, in which three brothers enlisted.
During the past thirty years Mr. Logan has employed his means and personal enterprise in widely diversified lines of activity. All who benefit from Chicago's great artistic and musical advantages know him as one of the men who made possible the permanent establishment of the Symphony Orchestra, founded by Theodore Thomas, in its home at Orchestra Hall, also as a patron of the Chicago Civic Grand Opera, of the Civic Music Society and of Ravinia. He has for many years been a vice president and a trustee of the Chicago Art Institute. He and his wife have done much to expand and enrich the treasures of the institute, of which both are in the benefactor's class and to whom an exhibit room in the Art Institute has been dedicated. And he and his wife established and endowed in 1915 the Mr. and Mrs. Frank G. Logan medal and cash prizes for exhibitions at the Art Institute of Chicago in painting, sculpture, water colors, etchings, lithographing and block prints. Mr. Logan is a member of the Municipal Art League, of the Public School Art Society, of the Association of Arts and Indus tries, of the Chicago Galleries and of many other scientific and artistic societies. He is a trustee of the B. F. Ferguson Fund, through which notable monuments have been erected in the city. By appointment of the mayor he has for many years been a director and member of the purchasing committee directing the disbursement of the fund authorized by the city for the advancement and acquisition of municipal art. Mr. Logan is a trustee of the Grand Central Galleries in New York, and a founder of the Friends of American Art. For many years Mr. Logan has been an art collector, and his home contains many rare and beautiful examples of the Flemish, Barbizon, Modern Dutch, English and American paintings.
His interest as trustee of Beloit College since 1892 induced him to introduce the study of archeology and anthropology there, founding the Logan Archeological Museum in 1893, which contains one of the important collections in America, pertaining to prehistoric artifacts of the race of mankind, especially that of the paleolithic, and later endowing the Museum and its chair of anthropology. Scientific expeditions financed by Mr. Logan through the Logan Museum bave unearthed a wealth of material in Southern France and Algeria, including some of the oldest paleolithic examples of early man's artistic strivings. For these scientific expeditions in France and in French Africa the French Academy awarded Mr. Logan the decoration of the Gold Palms. Beloit College bestowed upon him in 1922 the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. Mr. Logan has served as president of the Chicago Chapter of the Archaeological Society of America. He is a member of the Association for the Advancement of Science, the Chicago Academy of Science, National Geographic Society. To the Chicago Historical Society, of which he is a life member, be gave his price less collection of the personal belongings of John Brown and Abraham Lincoln.
Mr. Logan was one of the founders of the American College of Surgeons and he and Mrs. Logan endowed three fellowships in the University of Chicago for research in experimental medicine, pathology, bacteriology and surgery.
Mr. Logan is a life member of the Sons of the Revolution, and has membership in many exclusive social and country clubs in the Chicago district, on the Pacific Coast and in the East.
His home is at 1150 Lake Shore Drive. Mr. Logan married June 15, 1882, Miss Josephine Hancock, member of a distinguished Chicago family. Following will be found a sketch of her father, Col. John Lane Hancock, and of her brother, Dr. Joseph Lane Hancock. Mr. and Mrs. Logan's children are: Rhea, wife of Charles Andrews Munroe; Stuart, Howard Hancock, Spencer Hancock and Waldo Hancock Logan. (pg. 10-11, "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
COL. JOHN LANE HANCOCK, a pioneer in the activities which made Chicago a world center in the packing, provision and grain trade, came west in 1854 and for thirty years his name was closely associated with scores of constructive efforts and activities that were vital in the expanding power and prestige of the city.
He was a member and representative of the famous New England Hancock family, one of whom was the great American statesman and patriot, John Hancock, whose name was the first to be signed to the Declaration of Independence. John Lane Hancock was born at Buxton, Maine, March 16, 1812, son of John Lane and Hannah (Prescott) Hancock. His education was limited to such opportunities as were afforded by the common schools of New England. In 1828, when he was sixteen years of age, the family moved to Hiram, Maine, and later to Westbrook in that state. Here he had his first experience in the slaughtering and packing business. His work attracted the attention of a prominent New York City provision house, Cragin & Company. In 1854 this house sent him west to Chicago to establish a branch packing plant. He immediately built what was then the largest packing house in the West. He continued to represent Cragin & Company and in that capacity was the leading packer and delear in provisions in Chicago. Thus his name is closely linked with those of the Armours, Swifts and other founders of Chicago as the great packing center of the West. Colonel Hancock is given a great deal of credit for having brought about increasing perfection and efficiency in the mechanical means of slaughtering and packing, and in establishing a reliable standard of inspection. Colonel Hancock was one of the incorporators named in the charter granted by the Legislature in 1865 to the Union Stock Yards & Transit Company.
It is in the history of the Chicago Board of Trade that his name is most distinctly honored. He became identified with the Board of Trade about the time that institution was firmly established as a factor in the western grain trade, about 1857. He served as its vice president in 1862-63, and in 1863 was elected president. Reelected in 1864, he was the first to be complimented by reelection. During his second term as president he was one of the prime movers in constructing new quarters for the board, donating liberally of his time and means and serving as a director of the building association which put up what was known as the Chamber of Commerce Building, at the corner of LaSalle and Washington streets. This building was destroyed in the fire of 1871. For a year thereafter the board temporarily used a wigwam erected at the southwest corner of Washington and Market streets. In 1872 Colonel Hancock was made chairman of the building committee which rebuilt the Board of Trade and moved back to its old location. This was occupied until 1885, when the Board of Trade Building was erected, at the head of LaSalle Street on Jackson Boulevard, and was occupied up to 1928, when it was demolished to make way for the present forty-four story Board of Trade Building, one of the finest in the world as a Temple of Trade Mart. While president of the Board of Trade, Colonel Hancock was also one of the most aggressive of Chicago leaders in the raising of troops, equipping of regiments and in all other effective effort to prosecute the Civil war to successful termination. He was made chairman of the war committee of the Board of Trade. This committee sent to the front one of Illinois' most famous units, the Chicago Board of Trade Battery. Toward the close of the war Colonel Hancock had command of Camp Fry, then the rendezvous for conscripts, and under his command the One Hundred and Forty-Seventh, One Hundred and Fifty-third and One Hundred and Fifty-sixth regiments were raised. Colonel Hancock gave largely of his personal fortune to the cause of the war. One organization, known as the Hancock Guards, became a part of the Seventy-second Illinois Regiment.
Colonel Hancock died February 17, 1883. His career was a notable contribution to the world's work and to the growth and development of his adopted city. He was not only a practical man of affairs but had a lofty conception of a community's cultural and social advantages. Scores of institutions and causes and organizations besides those already mentioned were the beneficiaries of his generosity. During the Civil war he built at Twenty-sixth Street and Michigan Avenue the handsome home in which he and his family lived for many years, and in a section which at that time was a center of the social and fashionable life of the city.
Colonel Hancock married, June 24, 1845, Miss Emeline P. Goding, daughter of Jonah and Patience T. (Hathaway) Goding. Their family consisted of the following children:
Charles D., William S., George W., Dr. Joseph L., Emeline P., wife of Gwynn Garnett, Fay H., who became Mrs. Alfred H. Sellers, Ella F., wife of William Harvey, Jr., and Josephine H., who is Mrs. Frank G. Logan of Chicago. (pg. 11-12, "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOSEPH LANE HANCOCK, physician, scientist, artist, is remembered by many Chicagoans not only for the service that he rendered but for the charm of his personal character and the unusual scope of his interests.
A son of Col. John Lane Hancock, eminent Chicago business man and citizen, Doctor Han cock as born in Chicago April 12, 1864. He attended public schools, was a graduate of the medical department of Northwestern University, and he achieved a high rank among Chicago physicians. For some years he was physician for the Chicago Elevated Railways.
Notwithstanding all the responsibilities of a busy professional life Doctor Hancock devoted himself strenuously to his avocations. He was a profound naturalist, and he also achieved recognition as a landscape artist. He delighted in research work and investigation in the field of natural history, and in 1911 he wrote and published a book entitled Nature Studies in Temperate America, a volume on insects, birds and plant life that won him high praise. Many of his articles based on his investigation and classification of material sent him from India, Costa Rica and other foreign countries were published in scientific journals. His skill in drawing and the use of color enabled him to make many of the illustrations which adorned his writings. He became the foremost authority on the tettigidea of North America. His sister, Mrs. Frank G. Logan, made possible the publication of a volume on this subject written by Doctor Hancock. His early death on March 12, 1922, was
a distinct loss to the scientific and artistic world. Doctor Hancock married, March 22, 1893, Miss Louise J. Lambert, of Oskaloosa, Iowa. She passed away May 19, 1919, leaving a daughter, Margaret. On December 25, 1920, Doctor Hancock married Mrs. Ida Richardson. (pg. 12, "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
STERLING MORTON, Chicago business man and manufacturer, was born in that city August 25, 1885, son of Joy and Carrie (Lake) Morton. Joy Morton, whose notable career has been sketched elsewhere in this publication, was born at Detroit, Michigan, September 27, 1854, son of Hon. Sterling Morton, a pioneer of Nebraska, governor of that state, originator of Arbor Day, and later secretary of agriculture. The wife of Joy Morton, Carrie Lake, was born May 14, 1856, in the then frontier town of Omaha, Nebraska. She died at the Morton country estate near Lisle, Illinois, in November, 1915. There were just two children, Sterling and Jean. Jean, born in 1883, is Mrs. Joseph M. Cudahy of Chicago, and has had a prominent part in Chicago charitable work.
Sterling Morton had his first schooling in the Doolittle Public School at Chicago. Later he went abroad and attended the private school of Chateau de Lancy at Geneva, Switzerland. He prepared for college in the Princeton-Yale School of Chicago, and the Lawrenceville School at Lawrenceville, New Jersey, where he was graduated with honors in 1902. In 1906 he was one of the honor graduates of Princeton University, taking the degree Bachelor of Literature. Mr. Morton was treasurer of the Princeton Key and Seal Club.
After leaving the university he became connected with the Morton Salt Company. From December, 1914, to July, 1917, he lived in Kansas City, where he was manager of the western division for the company. With this exception his home since completing his college career has been in Chicago. He is secretary and a director of the Morton Salt Company.
For many years his chief interest was centered in the manufacture of devices and instruments roughly classified as telegraph typewriters. He was formerly president of the Morkrum Company, then president of the Morkrum-Kleinschmidt Corporation, which was succeeded by the Teletype Corporation, of which he was president until September 30, 1930, when the control of the business was transferred to the American Telephone & Telegraph Company. He is still a director in the Teletype Corporation. Mr. Morton is president of the International Inventions Corporations, where he makes his office head quarters at 333 North Michigan Boulevard. He is vice president and a director of the Morton Building Corporation of Chicago, president and director of the Midwest Investors, Incorporated, and a director of the Elgin National Watch Company.
During the World war, though physically disqualified for regular service, he served as private, corporal, sergeant, lieutenant and captain of the First Infantry, Illinois Reserve Militia, from 1917 to 1921. He was also industrial adviser for District Board No. 3 in Northern Illinois. Mr. Morton was president during 1929-30 of the National Metal Trades Association, Chicago branch, since 1930 has been a director of the Illinois Manufacturers Association, is a member of the Chicago Association of Commerce, is a director of the Chicago Industrial Club. He is a member of the Chicago, Harvard-Yale-Princeton, Caxton, Chicago Yacht, Tavern, Saddle and Cycle Clubs of Chicago, the New York Yacht and Princeton Clubs of New York. His favorite sports are saddle horses and yachting.
Mr. Morton married at Chicago, November 2, 1910, Sophia Preston Owsley. She was born in Chicago, October 11, 1890, member of one of the old and socially prominent families of the city. Her grandfather was Carter Henry Harrison Sr., five times mayor of Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Morton had three children: Suzette Preston, born August 24, 1911; Carolyn, born February 25, 1915, and died May 11, 1921; and Millicent, born March 11, 1924, and died April 12, 1929. (pg. 12-13, "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOHN GUTKNECHT was born in Chicago July 19, 1889, and since 1913 has been engaged in a general law practice in that city, with offices in the Conway Building at 111 West Wash ington Street.
Mr. Gutknecht is a son of Godfrey and Mary (Boyce) Gutknecht. He was educated in public schools, graduated A. B. from the University of Michigan in 1911, and took his law degree at the University of Colorado in 1913. He was an instructor in the University of Colorado during his senior year, and since coming to Chicago has occupied the chair of professor of law in DePaul University, giving instruction on the subject of corporation law, mortgage trusts, torts, trial practice and common law pleading. He is a member of the Chicago, Illinois Bar Associations, is a Demo crat and a member of the Iroquois Club. Dur ing 1918 he attended the Officers Training School at Fort Sheridan. Mr. Gutknecht is secretary of the Material Service Corporation. He married September 1, 1915, Miss Effie Ziegler of Carrizozo, New Mexico. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOHN P. HARDING has infused much of originality as well as notably effective service in the conducting of his chain of popular restau rants in Chicago, where his name and his establishments are noted as the best in the administration of catering to the public.
Mr. Harding, who has developed and controls a large and well ordered restaurant business, has his executive headquarters at 21 South Wabash Avenue. Mr. Harding was born at Peru, LaSalle County, Illinois, on the 13th of August, 1866, and is a son of John and Annie (Prendergast) Harding, who were born and reared in Ireland, and who came to the United States and established their home at Peru, Illinois, nearly seventy years ago, the remainder of their lives having been passed in this state and two other sons having been born to them, Edward P. and Patrick J.
John P. Harding continued regular attendance in the public schools until he was a lad of thirteen years, and thereafter he con tinued his studies during the winter months or terms until he had attained to the age of seventeen years, he having in the meanwhile had close and practical experience in connection with farm operations in Champaign County. Thereafter he was employed three years in a hotel at Peru, next was employed by the Chicago, Rock Island Railroad for a year, and in 1887, about the time of attain ing to his legal majority, he came to Chicago. Here his experiences and activities were diversified during the passing years, and in 1912 he became proprietor of the Planters Hotel, a well ordered establishment in the famous "Loop" district of the city. He con ducted this hotel until 1924, and he then initiated the remarkably successful service he has since continued to give in purveying the best grade of food products to the public.
Well justified has been the slogan adopted for his chain of restaurants, all of which are in the central business district of Chicago, and that slogan is: "Just Wonderful Food." To his establishments he has given a reputation for the serving of the finest of corned beef, which has been made a specialty of the enterprise, and effective and courteous service and fair and honorable policies are to be noted as the basis of the substantial and representative business now controlled by the several Harding restaurants, each of which is of mod ern equipment and appointments, with large capacity, and with service that is maintained at the highest standard in every detail. The reputation made by Mr. Harding in serving the finest quality of meats in his restaurants eventually resulted in his being induced to engage in the wholesale and retail meat business, in order that others might avail themselves of his authoritative judgment in the selection of meat products. In this department of his business he now gives service to many of the leading clubs, hotels and restaurants of Chicago, and the enterprise has become one of broad scope and ever increasing importance. In his business career Mr. Harding has had ideas and ideals, and he has insistently worked for establishing the high standards of service to the public for which his name has become so well and promi nently known in Chicago. He has won a host of friends in his home city and is identified with various representative civic and social or ganizations, including the Chicago Athletic Club, the Edgewater Gold Club, the Bob o' Links Club, the Illinois Golf Club, the Chicago Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and National Hotel Men's Association.
November 12, 1890, recorded the marriage of Mr. Harding to Miss Annette L. Rigby, of Peru, Illinois, and the four children of this union are Mae Harding Coyne, who is de ceased, Edith Harding Lyman, James P. and Martin J. James P. Harding attended Notre Dame University at South Bend, Indiana, and in 1922 was graduated in the University of Michigan, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Martin J. was graduated in Georgetown University, District of Columbia, as a member of the class of 1927 and with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Both sons are now actively associated with their father's business and are numbered among the popular and representative business men of the younger generation in Chicago.
The success and the high standing that John P. Harding has won as a resourceful and progressive business man in the great western metropolis has come through his own ability and his resourceful application of that ability. He has thought, has studied ways and means, and has worked indefatigably to gain success, and in gaining that success he has maintained a personal and business reputation that in itself is a large commercial asset. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HENRY CHARLES LYTTON is one of Chicago's great merchant princes. He was the founder of one of the city's great commercial institutions, "The Hub," and through that and from it he has projected his influence into civic betterment and philanthropy far beyond the bounds of his home city.
Henry Charles Lytton was born at New York City July 13, 1846, and was of English parentage. His father was a shirt manufacturer. Mr. Lytton attended public schools until he was fourteen and then spent a year in the College of the City of New York. The achievements of his mature career reflects not so much the training of school as the deep inward urge and drive that has been an unalterable part of his character endowment. He found his direction, his purpose, his goal almost intuitively when a boy and all his experiences were steps toward one high objective. While he was an errand boy getting fifty cents a week, he walked from his home in Bleecker Street to his place of employment in Nassau Street, taking his lunch with him and saving the larger part of his salary. The saving of itself was unimportant, but the habit of thrift thus manifested was very important. At the age of seventeen he was entry clerk in a wholesale dry goods house at a salary of eight dollars a week. A year later he went to Saint Louis, and for three years was bookkeeper in a large retail clothing house in that city. During one vacation after a visit back to New York he returned to Saint Louis late Sunday, finding all the ferries blocked by floating ice. In order that he might be able to report to the business at the regular time on Monday morning, he performed the perilous feat of crossing the river on the floating blocks of ice.
About 1867, Mr. Lytton and his brother combined their capital, amounting to about $3,000, and established a business at Ionia Michigan. Later they started a branch store in Grand Rapids. Mr. Lytton was in business in Grand Rapids for about fifteen years. His business failed in 1876, following the hard times after the panic of 1873. Settlements had to be made with his creditors on the basis of thirty-three and a third cents on the dollar. Though his legal obligations were discharged, Mr. Lytton assured his creditors that in time the obligations would be fully settled, and every dollar of the moral debt was paid back in subsequent years. In 1884 Mr. Lytton took over a bankrupt business in Indianapolis, but in 1887 changed his location to Chicago, where he founded the Hub Clothing Store. From the beginning the Hub was a store with a character of its own and thousands of the older generation of Middle West citizens remember its business policies and dependable merchandise when there was nothing distinctive about the building it oc cupied at the northwest corner of State and Jackson. The Hub was a great clothing store in those days, had a splendid organization of personnel, and from the first the solid qual ities of the business were reinforced by unique and original advertising. Henry C. Lytton was always a liberal patron of newspaper and other advertising, and publicity was one of the means by which he created and built up a great institution. His sons came into the business with him, and the owners of the Hub have always been known as Henry C. Lytton & Sons. Mr. Henry C. Lytton was still active in the business when in 1912 the store was moved across the street to the great new Lytton Building, which after twenty years stands as the most notable of the loop edifices.
Henry C. Lytton married September 13, 1871, at Winnsboro, North Carolina, Rose Wolfe. She died in 1916, the mother of five children. The son Charles died in 1879 and Beaumont in 1914. The two surviving sons are George, vice president of Henry C. Lytton & Sons, and Walter, who gives most of his time to real estate activities. The daughter, Gertrude, is the wife of the famous portrait painter, August Benziger. In 1918 Mr. Henry C. Lytton married Miss Carlotta D. Doty, whose father at one time was director of the Port of New York. Mr. Lytton for many years had a home on what was then the fashionable Prairie Ave. flue. He has a summer home on Long Island, and another in France at Camp D'Ail, three miles from Monte Carlo. Though eighty-five years of age he often plays eighteen holes of golf in a day, and much of his time in later years has been given to travel. But his chief hobby and source of in spiration through the years has been music. As a young man he had an unusual tenor voice and while living in Indianapolis sang in President Harrison's church and was one of the leaders in the Maennerchor and appeared as a local soloist with the late Lizzie Lehmann (at that time Germany's greatest dramatic soprano) in a notable performance of Rossini's Stabat Mater in that city with a chorus of one hundred and fifty and sixty-five musicians. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
NATHAN WILLIAM MACCHESNEY was born in Chicago June 2, 1878, and his mature career falls within the years of the present century. That career has attracted attention from his home community, state and nation and has brought him distinction as a brilliant lawyer, a scholar, author, soldier, so that perhaps no native son of Chicago has more substantial claims to the title of "a leading citizen."
The MacChesney family came originally from Normandy in France, Scotland and the North of Ireland, from which they were expelled in 1689 "for adhering to the Presbyterian faith." His original American ancestor, John MacChesney, settled in New Jersey, the family later moving to Virginia, branches subsequently settling in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky. His great-grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, while his grandfather, Nathan MacChesney, was a lieutenant in the War of 1812, was paid in land script by the State of Virginia which he used to settle in the military tract in Illinois, which was then a part of Virginia.
His father was Dr. Alfred Brunson MacChesney and his mother, Henrietta (Milsom) MacChesney, both of whom graduated in medicine from the University of Michigan. His father for many years was an active practicing physician and surgeon connected with the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia and Rush Medical College, Chicago. During the Civil war he was a lieutenant colonel in the Union Army, serving as a surgeon on the staff of Gen. U. S. Grant. His mother was an Englishwoman, the daughter of an Oxford professor, much interested in social work. While she did not practice subsequent to her marriage she took a lifelong interest in medical work among the poor, and with Dr. Mary Thompson and Dr. Emily Blackwell helped to establish the first medical out-work on the East Side of New York. He has one brother, Chester M. MacChesney, an engineer-Michigan 1910, who served in France and Italy during the World war.
Nathan William MacChesney, while a native son of Illinois, spending his boyhood in Chicago, spent much of his youth in the far West where he saw military service in connection with the National Guard in California and Arizona. He took his A. B. degree at the College of the Pacific in 1898, which in 1926 conferred an honorary LL. D. on him also, meantime pursuing special work at Stanford University. He was a student instructor in the University of Arizona, 1898-99, and attended Northwestern University Law School 1899-1900, which conferred on him the LL.M. degree in 1922. He attended the Law Department of the University of Michigan 1900-02, graduating with degree of LL. B. He is admitted to practice in Michigan and Illinois and the United States Supreme Court, and has practiced law in Chicago for many years. He is senior member of the law firm MacChesney, Whiteford & Wells, with offices both in Chicago and Washington. His general practice has involved largely corporation, banking, probate and real estate law, among his clients being the National Association of Real Estate Boards for which he is general counsel.
General MacChesney was special assistant attorney-general of the United States in 1911-12, has been special assistant attorney-general for Illinois a number of times, was special counsel for the City of Chicago in 1924, and has been a special assistant state's attorney of Cook County. From a long list of notable cases in which he has appeared three cases of special interest were: United States vs. Wood, before the United States Supreme Court in 1914, in which he represented the War Department in the question of the constitutionality of executive order to control state troops by the Federal Government. The case of Franke vs. Murray, in which he represented the United States before the United States Circuit Court of Appeals, involved the constitutionality of the Selective Service Act of 1917. Chandler vs. Bratton, decided by the United States Supreme Court in 1922, involved the right of a state to license and control standards of business.
He has also served in the National Guard of California and the National Guard of Arizona, as a member of which he went into the First United States Volunteer Cavalry later known as the "Rough Riders" during the war with Spain. During the Mexican border trouble he was on duty with the Illinois National Guard. In connection with the World war he served as a Reserve Officer of the United States Army after the severance of relations with Germany, and was commissioned in the United States Army June 27, 1917, serving with the Thirty-third Division, the Eighty-sixth Division, with the secretary of war, and as judge advocate at General Headquarters of the American Expeditionary Forces in France, where he was attached to the staff of General Pershing. He received the thanks of France, England, Belgium, Italy and the United States Committee on Public Information and the Illinois State Council of Defense. He was recommended for the Distinguished Service Medal and awarded a citation by General Pershing "for exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous services," A. E. F. He has since received the Order of the Purple Heart issued by the War Department "For Military Merit." He was commissioned brigadier-general of the National Guard "for long and distinguished services," being presented with a commemorative sabre.
Many of the interesting activities of General MacChesney as a lawyer, in public life, in politics, as a citizen, scholar and writer are briefly suggested in the following summary:
Member of the Illinois Commission on Uniform State Laws of which he was president 1913-17; member of the National Conference of Com missioners on Uniform State Laws, of which he was president in 1922-25; appointed by Secretary of Commerce Hoover, chairman of the Conference Committee on Uniform Laws and Regulations of State and Highway Safety, 1925; member of Commission on Uniform Industrial and Insurance Legislation; of counsel for United States Senate in investigation of United States War Veterans Bureau and of Rent Control in the District of Columbia and for War Department in the United States Supreme Court, 1914-17; member of Executive Committee of Chicago Plan Commission; member of Chicago City Council Crime Commission; member of Air Board of Chicago; law member of State Board of Examiners in Accountancy, 1914-17. He was vice president of. the American Bar Association in 1925-26; has served on many of its committees including those on Jurisprudence and Law Reform, and is at present chairman of the Uniform Judicial Procedure Committee of that association. He was president 1915-16 of the Illinois State Bar Association. He has served in many capacities in connection with the Chicago Bar Association including service as chairman of the committees on Legal Education, Amendment of Law, Grievances and the Judiciary and is now chairman of the Committee on Public Relations of that association; is chairman of the Advisory Editorial Council of the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, of which he has been associate editor since 1910; member of the Association of the Bar of City of New York, A. B. A. Conference of Bar Association Delegates (chairman 1926-27), director of the American Judicature Society, member of the American Society of International Law, charter member American Law Institute, on the National Council of the National Economic League, member of the American Institute of Criminal Law and Criminology of which he was president 1910-11; American Society of Military Law of which he was president in 1913-14, National Committee on Prisons and Prison Labor. He was managing editor of the Illinois Law Review, 1906-24, and since 1924 on the Board of Managers.
General MacChesney wrote Abraham Lincoln, the Tribute of a Century, 1909; Challenge to American Ideals, Principles of Military Law, and Principles of Real Estate Law. He has also been interested in legal education, having lectured at various times at the University of California, Harvard, Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Pennsylvania, Stanford and Wisconsin, on various legal subjects involving corporation and industrial reorganization, constitutional law and international law and the history of treaties. In connection with the latter subjects he has represented various foreign countries from time to time, particularly Siam, the King of which recently has conferred upon him the rank of commander in the Order of the White Elephant of the Kingdom of Siam.
He is president of the Northwestern University Press, director of the United Charities, a trustee of Northwestern University; trustee of the Institute for Economic Research, on the Board of the Salvation Army, a director of the Committee of Fifteen in Chicago, director of the Illinois Children's Home and Aid Society. He is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, Society War of 1812, Sons of Veterans, Grand Army of the Republic, on the Advisory Council of the American Legion, was president 1922-24 of the North western University General Alumni Association, president 1926-28 of Northwestern University Foundation, also member of the Alumni Advisory Council of the University of Michigan. He is a Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Delta Phi, and national president 1910-13 of the Order of the Coif, the honorary legal scholarship fraternity.
He has served on the Civic Affairs Commission of the Association of Commerce and is a member of the committee of the Chicago World's Fair Centennial Celebration for 1933. He is a staunch friend of President Hoover, has been offered several political and diplomatic appointments by the President, which he, however, because of personal business reasons has refused. General MacChesney has been an active force not only in civic affairs but in public life as well, having been one of the prominent factors in the Republican party both locally and nationally. From 1908 to 1990 he was a member of the Executive Committee of the Republican National Convention Committee. In 1908 he was president of the Taft Club of Chicago; was later offered a post in the diplomatic service by President Taft, which he refused, and a position of assistant attorney-general of the United States under Attorney-General Wickersham, which he did not accept, but did serve as special attorney-general during part of that administration. He supported President Roosevelt in the 1912 convention but did not follow him into the Progressive party though he regarded himself as a progressive Republican. General MacChesney was a manager of the Leonard Wood campaign in 1920, acting as General Wood's personal representative after Hon. Elihu Root had sailed for Europe in April of that year to organize the International Court of Justice. He was director of the Organization Bureau of the Hoover Campaign of 1928 and president of the National Hoover-Curtis Lawyers' Association, of which Hon. Elihu Root was honorary president and Hon. Charles Evans Hughes was chairman. He is a Presbyterian, a Mason, member of the University, Chicago, Racquet, Union League, City (vice president and director 1927-1931), Knollwood, Chicago Law, Chicago Literary, Chicago Yacht, and Tavern Clubs of Chicago, the Metropolitan Club of Washington, Army and Navy of New York, and Lawyers Club of Ann Arbor, Michigan. He is a director of the Boulevard Bridge Bank and the Central Life Insurance Company.
General MacChesney married, December 1, 1904, Miss Lena Frost of Riverside and Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of William E. Frost of an old New England family. They have a son, Alfred Brunson MacChesney III, who prepared at The Hill School, received his A. B. from Yale, has been a graduate student at Northwestern University and is a student in the University of Michigan Law School, class 1934. He also holds a commission as ensign in the United States Navy. Another son, Gordon MacChesney, who graduated from Chestnut Hill School in Philadelphia, is married and lives in Chicago.
General MacChesney has thousands of friends and admirers in Chicago and all over the country and while very few of them would be able to recall a third of his activities, all of them appreciate his versatility, his forcefulness and magnetism as a public man. A more satisfactory picture of the Chicagoan is found in such thumb-nail sketch as Rt. Rev. George Craig Stewart, bishop of Chicago, wrote for the Northwestern Alumni News in which he called General MacChesney an "Admirable Crichton," using the term as the synonym for "any man of such flabbergasting diversity of gifts that we are hard put to it for appropriate laudatory adjectives." And in his felicitous way Bishop Stewart goes on to point out a few of the conspicuous high lights in his career as follows: "At forty-six he is a brigadier-general, with the distinction of having been recommended for decoration by France with the Legion of Honor, by Britain with the Order of St. George and St. Michael, and by the United States for exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous service. He is an outstanding figure in civic and national affairs; he is a trustee of Northwestern University, and he is a past president of both the Chicago Club of Northwestern Men and the General Alumni Association of Northwest ern University. His ancestors came, I under stand, originally from the Town of LaChesne in Normandy; later having had the perspicacity to settle in Argyle they added to their name the Highland Mac and to their blood the proud strain of the Dalraidic chieftains; nor were they satisfied until in County Antrim they absorbed a blarneying Irish strain of happy devil-may-care with which they finally set out for America in 1689 settling finally as all our first families did in Virginia in 1691.
"Now when you consider this heritage, and further when you learn that the General's great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and his grandfather a soldier in the War of 1812, and his father a distinguished surgeon on General Grant's staff in the Civil war, you have a pretty good hereditary hunch that Nathan William MacChesney when he arrived was elected, predestined, (I but use the theological terms appropriate to my Presbyterian subject) to be the big, gallant, eloquent, two-fisted, hard-hitting, efficient patriot that he is. The Nathan in his name stands for the prophet; the William for a conquering Norman strain in his blood, and the Mac for all those other gifts which can be summed up in the one word Gaelic. MacChesney-son of the oak-Son of the Purple Oak, the Admirable Crichton of Northwestern Alumni." ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HON. THURLOW GAULT ESSINGTON, Illinois lawyer and one of the constructive leaders in Illinois citizenship, has since 1926 practiced law in Chicago. Mr. Essington was born at Streator, Illinois, May 19, 1886. His father, John Essington, practiced law in Streator from 1881 to 1892. He was born in DuPage County, Illinois, December 10, 1855, and died September 29, 1912. During his active lifetime he was a farmer, teacher, lawyer, and for a time was editor of a paper at Pontiac. After leaving his law business he was in the real estate business. John Essington married Mary Gault, who was born on Staten Island, New York, March 27, 1857.
Thurlow Gault Essington was reared and educated at Streator, graduated from the Township High School there, and in 1906 took his A. B. degree at the University of Illinois. He studied law at the University of Chicago and graduated J. D., cum laude, in 1908. Mr. Essington practiced law in Streator for eighteen years and during that time he entered actively in the community affairs. He was city attorney of Streator in 1915-17. During the World war, 1917-19, he was mayor of Streator and in 1918 was elected a member of the State Senate and reelected in 1922. His name and record became familiar and were discussed from one end of the state to the other during the gubernatorial campaign of 1924, when he was put forward by a group of independent Republicans as candidate for governor. In March, 1926, Mr. Essington moved to Chicago and formed a law partner ship with George B. McKibbin. Mr. Essing ton's law offices are in the Continental Illinois Bank Building. He belongs to the Chicago Bar Association, the LaSalle County Bar Association, and the Illinois State and American Bar Associations. He is a member and first vice president of the Union League Club, and a member of the University of Chicago, the Electric Club, the Law Club of Chicago, the Flossmoor Country Club. He is Knight Templar Mason, member of Bloomington Consistory of the Scottish Rite, and Mohammed Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and is a member of the B. P. 0. Elks at Streator. He is a Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Kappa Epsilon and Phi Delta Phi. While residing at Streator, Illinois, his former home, he was a member and a trustee of the Presbyterian Church. In Chicago he is a member of the Vestry of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Mr. Essington married, February 16, 1913, Miss Davie Hendricks, of Madisonville, Kentucky. They have one daughter, Elizabeth. His home is at 4858 Dorchester Avenue. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HON. EDWARD A. KELLY, Illinois Congressman from the Third Congressional District, is a native son of Chicago, a World war veteran, and in a business way has been well known as a real estate operator on the South Side.
Mr. Kelly was born in Chicago, April 3, 1894. His parents are John J. and Mary (O'Connor) Kelly, both residents of Chicago, where his mother was born. His father was born in Covington, Kentucky, and is one of Chicago's veteran fire fighters. He rounded out a continuous record of service of forty-five years with the Chicago Fire Department, until retired from active duty early in 1931.
Edward A. Kelly had a public school education. He has been a hard worker, a dependable citizen, a man in whose integrity thou sands of people in his district would vouch for. During the World war he spent two years with the Three Hundred and Twenty-second Field Artillery. This was a unit in the Eighty-sixth or Blackhawk Division. He went overseas with his regiment in July, 1918, was in France till after the armistice, and returning home received his honorable discharge in the summer of 1919. Since the war he has been active in the American Legion. Mr. Kelly's business address is 1535 West Seventy-ninth Street, and his home at 1587 West Eighty-second Street. He is a member of the Beach View Athletic Club and Knights of Columbus.
In the primaries of 1930 he received the Democratic nomination for Congress in the Third Congressional District. The following November he was elected by a substantial majority over the Republican incumbent, Elliott W. Sproul, who had represented the district since 1920. Mr. Kelly's election was a remarkable triumph for a young man in his first campaign for an important office. Mr. Kelly entered the Seventy-second Congress in December, 1931, with the backing of the general support given him at the election and with the confidence of all the residents of the district in his broad and disinterested service. The Third Congressional District embraces the southern section of the City of Chicago and several townships in the southern part of Cook County, including the great Calumet industrial district. Mr. Kelly goes to Washington pledged to work for the general welfare of this district, including such important proj ects as the completion of the Calumet Harbor, the maintenance of a pure water supply and adequate sanitation for this industrial region.
Mr. Kelly married Miss Rosemary Eulert of Lemont, Illinois. His two sons are Edward A. and Robert J. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HON. MICHAEL L. IGOE, a member of the Chicago bar since 1908, is well known throughout the state for his long and useful record in the Legislature. Mr. Igoe has been the minority leader of the House in several sessions.
He was born at St. Paul, Minnesota, April 16, 1885, son of James F. and Katherine Igoe, but was reared and educated in Chicago, being a graduate of the St. James School and De LaSalle Institute. He completed his law course at Georgetown University, Washington, D. C., and was admitted to the bar in 1908. Mr. Igoe as an attorney is a member of the firm Freeman, Mason, Igoe & Flaherty, with offices at 1 LaSalle Street.
Mr. Igoe resides at 5434 Cornell Avenue, on the South Side. He is in the Fifth Legislative District, is a Democrat, and while from a Cook County district normally Republican has been repeatedly chosen as representative in the Legislature. He has served as a member of the Forty-eighth, Forty-ninth, Fiftieth, Fifty-first, Fifty-third, Fifty-fifth, Fifty-sixth and Fifty-seventh General Assemblies. He has been one of the valuable members of the Cook County delegation, and his record has been repeatedly endorsed by organizations that make a critical study of legislative activities. Mr. Igoe is author of a number of laws that have been passed by the Legislature in recent sessions. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
MARY ELIZA McDOWELL - Out of the practical work and service of such American women as Mary E. McDowell, of Chicago, has come the essence of the meaning which is attached to the term "social service." Miss McDowell learned her social responsibilities in her own family and in one of the hospitable homes of Chicago fifty or sixty years ago. One of the first opportunities for the expression of the spirit of social service outside her home came during the fire of 1871. Since then the scope of her work has grown and expanded and has brought her in contact with other distinguished leaders in the same field, such as Jane Addams, Julia Lathrop and all of that group of earnest men and women who have formulated the spirit and the practice which underlie a number of Chicago's most beneficent institutions.
If inheritance counts for anything, Miss McDowell was well endowed at birth to pursue a career which would make her a pioneer in social activities. As an American family the McDowells have exemplified remarkable versatility, not only as soldiers and leaders of men, but in the field of scientific achievements, industry and intellectual culture. Mr. McDowell's first American ancestor, Ephraim Mc Dowell, born in Ulster, Ireland, in 1673, participated in the siege of Londonderry, and about 1727 came to America and settled in New Jersey. Eight years later he removed to Pennsylvania, and subsequently acquired land in what is now Rockbridge, Virginia.
His son, Samuel McDowell, was with Washington at Braddock's defeat, later raised and supported his own regiment in the Revolution, served many years in the House of Burgesses in Virginia, and was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He was one of the first trustees of what is now Washington and Lee
University. After the Revolution Samuel Mc Dowell moved to Mercer County, Kentucky, and was one of the first judges appointed by President Washington in Kentucky and presided at the convention that organized the state. He was the great-grandfather of Miss McDowell of Chicago. Her father was Malcolm McDowell, who was born at Columbus, Ohio, May 15, 1827. He was a mechanical engineer and inventor, inventing the first steel plow beam and machinery for manufacturing it. He also made the first metal wheels for agricultural implements, and was a pioneer railroad man. During the Civil war he served as aide-de-camp on the staff of his brother, Major General Irvin McDowell, later, by appointment of President Lincoln, became head paymaster of the Army of the Tennessee, and his thorough capacity in military affairs earned him the confidence and esteem of Lincoln, Grant, Sherman and Sheridan. Malcolm McDowell after the war moved to Chicago, where he pursued his career as an engineer and inventor and established a rolling mill.
The mother of Miss McDowell was Jane Welch Gordon. While her father's people represented the flower of Virginia and Kentucky aristocracy, her grandfathers, Archibald Gordon, was an ardent abolitionist. Archibald Gordon was a steamboat builder, and a man of wealth and influence in Ohio.
Mary Eliza McDowell was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, November 30, 1854, being the older daughter in a family which contained four brothers and one sister. She was educated in public and private schools, and in Chicago attended a school conducted by Elizabeth Harrison, out of which grew the National Kindergarten College. The strongest personal influence on her early life was exercised by her father. Through him she acquired an abiding love and reverence for the character of Lincoln, and under his direction she came to an understanding of the difficulties and unrest prevailing among the classes less fortunately placed than herself. The prominence of her family on both sides gave her unusual opportunities for social contact.
At the time of the Chicago fire she was seventeen years of age. The McDowell home was outside the path of the fire, but in the area through which thousands of refugees struggled toward a place of safety. Miss McDowell, with her father's permission, hitched a horse to a roomy old wagon and personally assisted the refugees by carting their valuables to a place of safety. A more important experience came later in the work of distributing supplies and relief to the inhabitants of the stricken city. When Governor Hayes, an old friend of the McDowell family, brought personally his state's generous contribution to the city, the supplies were quartered at the McDowell home, and Miss McDowell ably assisted in their distribution. A few
days after the fire the work of relief was concentrated under the organization known as the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, and after the great emergency created by the fire had passed this organization continued to function for a quarter of a century, and its work became the foundation of the United Charities of Chicago. It was in the labors of this organization that Miss McDowell found opportunity for systematic effort in her chosen field, in the course of which she became associated with Jane Addams and Julia Lathrop. In 1880 the McDowell home was removed to Evanston, and while there she became a close friend and follower of Frances Willard and for a time acted as state organizer of the young woman's branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union.
Miss McDowell became interested in the work being done by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr at Hull House about 1890. She became one of the founders of the Northwestern University Settlement, but a few months later returned to Hull House as a kindergarten worker. In 1893 she organized and became the first president of the Hull House Woman's Club.
It was on the recommendation of Jane Addams that Miss McDowell was asked to undertake the work of organization of a social settlement near the Union Stock Yards, spon sored by the University of Chicago. In that way she was introduced to what has since been her chief life work. In September, 1894, she left her home in Evanston to become a resident of "Packingtown." Having organized the settlement house, she remained as its active head and through it has translated her generous ideals into a broadly effective system of social service activities. While she has extended her influence to many similar activities throughout the city, it was her work, her personal influence, in the environs of the Stock Yards, that gained for her a simple but significant title, utilized by her biographer, "Mary McDowell, Neighbor." Mary McDowell, to quote Jane Addams, "went to live in the University of Chicago Settlement early in the 'blessed nineties,' those years which were so filled with high hopes and ardent wishes for social betterment. All of the pioneer settlements were then working out a new technique, largely through the old process of trial and error, and while every one of the group added what he could to the common store which we pooled together in comradely fashion, I am quite sure that no one of us brought to it such warmth of good will, so much of the inner understanding of the wayward human heart, as did our colleague who lived 'back of the yards.'"
Her reputation as a great leader in social service work is by no means confined to Chicago. It was on her initiative that President Roosevelt and Congress sponsored and financed a nation-wide investigation of women and children in industry. Miss McDowell in 1918 went to France and England to look into the war work done by the Y. W. C. A. ammunition factories. In recognition of her work at home and abroad she received in 1927 the Order of the White Lion from President Masaryk of Czechoslovakia.
She was for four years Mary McDowell, Commissioner of Public Welfare for the City of Chicago, an appointment given her in 1923 by Mayor Dever. It is scarcely necessary to add that in her work she has had no regard for class, creed, race or color, and her range of activities has included efforts put forth for the improvement of social conditions of the colored people. Many of the principles that have been shaped in the process of her living experience have been turned into expression when she formulated the words of the civic creed for children: "We believe that God hath made of one blood all nations of men, and that we are his children, brothers and sisters all. We are citizens of the United States, and believe that our Flag stands for self-sacrifice and for the good of all the people. We want to be true citizens of this our city, and will show our love for her by our works. Our city does not ask us to die for her welfare; she asks us to live for her good, and so to love and so to act that her government may be pure, her officers honest, and every home within her boundaries be a place fit to grow the best kind of men and women to rule over her."
As this quotation shows, she possesses both power and clear diction as a writer, though most of her literary efforts have been inspired by a purpose to record or further her social service work. Miss McDowell has been identified by membership or in official capacity with many organizations that touch her special field, including the Methodist Federation for Social Service. She is a charter member and was an early president of the Woman's City Club. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
©Illinois Genealogy Trails