Biographies of Cook County Residents
presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
(View the Biography Index to see a complete list of transcribed biologies)
LAUER, John P., vice president John Lauer Machinge Co.; born, Chicago, July 30, 1869; son of John and Ann (Scherbarth) Lauer; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, Nov. 24, 1892, Ottilie Roediger. Began active career with his father, who was a machinist, remaining with him twenty-four years; business incorporated, 1904, as John Lauer Machine Co., manufacturers and contractors special machinery, of which he is vice president. Republican. Member I.O.R.M., I.O.F. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 108-114 Antoine St. Residence: 518 Clinton Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
LAUER, Peter N., treasurer John Lauer Machine Co.; born, Chicago, June 23, 1873; son of John and Anna (Scherbarth) Lauer; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Pittsburg, Pa., June 23, 1904, Armilla G. Helbling. Began active career under his father in the machine shop and learned machinery business in all its branches; has been treasurer of the John Lauer Machine Co. since its incorporation, 1904, manufacturers and contractors special machinery and tools. Republican as to politics; Catholic as to religious belief. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 108-114 Antoine St. Residence: 265 Hibbard Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
GEORGE, Ransom Gardner, lawyer; born, Chicago, Oct. 4, 1870; son of Austin and Sarah (Wadhams) George; educated at Michigan State Normal School, Ypsilanti, Mich.; graduate University of Michigan, A.B., 1893; LL.B., Law Department, University of Michigan, 1897; married at New York City, Sept. 14, 1904, Myrtelle Ely. Admitted to the bar, 1897, and has since practiced at Detroit; member law firm of Robson, George & Fisher. Served in U.S. Navy during Spanish-American War, on board U.S. Yosemite. Clubs: Country, Detroit Boat, University. Office: 720 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 168 Jos. Campau Avenue.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
FAY, George Edwards, physician and surgeon; born, Chicago, IL, May 3, 1875; son of Benjamin B. and Susan (Robinson) Fay; educated public and high school courses, Chicago; B. Sc., University of Michigan, 1899; M. D., Medical Department, University of Michigan, 1901; married, Detroit, Oct., 1905, Theodora Van Der Kar. Member surgical staff University Hospital, Ann Arbor, 1900-01, and served as interne, 1901-02; began practice in Detroit, July, 1902. Republican. Protestant. Member Wayne County Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association, Phi Upsilon. Recreation: Motoring. Office: 502 Washington Arcade. Residence: 28 Ferry Av., W. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
GORDON, Charles Edwin; born, Chicago, IL - 1866; son of Henry David and Rozella R. (Stofford) Gordon; educated in Chicago public schools and by private teachers; married at Angola, Ind., Sept. 30, 1902, Wava Poland. Devoted a number of years to mechanical training; was with J. W. Reedy & Co., Chicago Elevator Works, two years; with Crane Co., Chicago, five years, and Ames & Frost, Chicago, three years; was connected for two years with the Slayton Lyceum Bureau and acted as sales agent for the Whitely Steel Co., Muncie, Ind.; was one of the organizers of the Western Malleable Steel Co., steel castings and drop forgings, in operation since Sept. 5, 1905. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 1250 River St. Residence: 460 Hubbard Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
GUNDERSON, Gunnar Bert, secretary and treasurer Detroit Stove Works; born, Chicago, IL Jan. 31, 1860; educated in public schools, Chicago, up to 14; married at Waco, Tex., Apr. 9, 1902, Martha Brooks. Began active career as clerk in hardware store at 14; stenographer in law office at 19, also law student at same time, 1879; became stenographer for firm of Fuller & Warren Co., Chicago, 1880, and later assistant manager, when accepted similar position with Chicago branch of the Detroit Stove Works, 1891; removed to Detroit as treasurer of the company, 1893, and in a few years became director, secretary and treasurer. Organized, with W. T. Barbour, the Northern Motor Car Co., 1902, of which is vice president and director. Director National Bank of Commerce. Democrat previous to 1896. Protestant. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Detroit Boat, Detroit Automobile. Office: Detroit Stove Works. Residence: 148 McDougall Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
HARRIS, Julian H., lawyer; born, Chicago, IL. Jan. 22, 1876; son of Samuel S. and Mary G. (Pickett) Harris; educated in public schools of Detroit, and University of Michigan, Literary and Law Departments, B.A., 1898, LL.B., 1900; unmarried. Admitted to the bar, 1900, and has since been member of law firm of Brennan, Donnelly & Van De Mark. Secretary Detroit Concrete Edge Protector Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Alpha Delta Phi. Clubs: University, Country, Prismatic, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 516 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 177 Seminole Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
PARDRIDGE, Willard Edwin, merchant; born, Chicago, IL Oct. 15, 1871; son of Edwin and Sarah (Swallow) Pardridge; educated in public schools and at Harvard School, of Chicago; married at Chicago, Mar. 29, 1893, Charlotte L. Budd. Began business career in Chicago as a member of the firm of Pardridge & Leeming; came to Detroit, 1896, since which time has been senior member of firm of Pardridge & Blackwell, department store. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Episcopalian. Clubs: Fellowship, Rushmere, Detroit Yacht. Recreations: Fishing, hunting, automobiling. Office: Farmer St. and Gratiot Av. Residence: 72 Boston Blvd. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
SHURLY, Burt Russell, physician; born, Chicago IL, July 4, 1871; son of Edmund R.P. and Augusta (Godwin) Shurly; educated in public schools, Northwestern Military Academy, University of Wisconsin, graduating, B.S., 1893; Detroit College of Medicine, degree of M.D., 1895; post-graduate course at University of Vienna; married at Detroit, Viola Palms. Has practiced in Detroit since 1895; adjunct professor of laryngology, Detroit College of Medicine; laryngologist Harper Hospital and Children's Free Hospital; attending physician Woman's Hospital; secretary Detroit Post Graduate School of Medicine. Acting assisting surgeron U.S. Army and U.S. Navy, Spanish-American War; past assistant surgeon Michigan Naval Brigade. Member Michigan State Medical Society, American medical Association, American Academy of Medicine, American Association of Military Surgeons, American Academy of Ophthalmology and Oto-Laryngology, American Association of Rhinology, Laryngology and Otology. Loyal Legion. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Clubs: University, Country. Office; 32 West Adams Av. Residence: 544 Jefferson Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
SMITH, Edwin Merrill; born, Chicago, Ill., Aug. 24, 1870; son of Eli and Jennie (Merrill) Smith; educated in public schools of Chicago and at University of Michigan (civil engineering course), graduating, degree of B.S., 1892; married at Detroit, 1903, Miss Gertrude Geiger. Followed civil engineering for ten years after leaving university; was with Fairbanks, Morse & Co., four years; came to Detroit, Oct., 1906, since which time he has been secretary, treasurer and manager W.H. Warner Coal Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Was city engineer street department, Chicago, for three years. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Beta Theta Pi. Clubs: Detroit Golf, Detroit Boat. Office: Trussed Concrete Bldg., Detroit. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
SMITH, Frederick A., cashier; born, Chicago, IL May 26, 1857; son of Dr. H.F. and Lydia (Smith) Smith; educated at Castleton (Vt.) Seminary; began active career as clerk in postoffice at Castleton; removed to Howell, Mich., Oct. 5, 1873, and entered employ of Alex McPherson & Co., bankers; became teller Home National Bank, Saginaw, 1882; was cashier First National Bank, Kalamazoo, for five years; vice president Merchants' National Bank, Battle Creek, and came to Detroit, 1889, as assistant cashier Commercial national Bank; organized and was cashier Delray Savings Bank, Delray, Mich., continuing 1898-02; elected cashier Commercial national Bank of Detroit, Jan. 7, 1902. President Grosse Pointe Village, 1905-1906. Member Michigan State Bankers' Association. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Detroit, Old Club, Country, Automobile. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: Commercial National Bank, Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
STEVENS, Stanley G.; born, Chicago, IL 1875; son of Enoch B and Elizabeth (Larminie) Stevens; educated in public schools and collegiate institute, North Carolina; married, Detroit, 1901, Florence O. Jackson. Began active career in service of the U.S. Weather Bureau, Wilmington, N.C., continuing two years; came to Detroit, 1896, and associated with W.S. Rathbone in business; became partner, 1903, and is secretary W.S. Rathbone Land Co., Ltd., and member firm of Rathbone & Stevens. Also director Northern Assurance Co., Detroit. Republican. Congregationalist. Office: 314 Moffat Blk. Residence: 28 Hendrie Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
KRUTTSCHNITT, JULIUS, railway director, was born July 30, 1854, in New Orleans, La. In 1873 he graduated with the degree of C. E. from the engineering school of the Washington and Lee university. In 1878 he entered railway service; became road master, general road master and chief engineer of the Louisiana and Texas railroad; and in 1883-85 became superintendent and chief engineer of that corporation. In 1885-89 he was assistant general manager of the Southern Pacific company's Atlantic system; and in 1889-95 was general manager of same. In 1895-1904 he was general manager of all the lines of the Southern Pacific company; and since 1898 has been fourth vice-president of same with headquarters since 1901 in Chicago, Ill.
[Source: Herringshaw's American Statesman and Public Official Yearbook: 1907-1908; By Thomas William Herringshaw; Publ. 1909; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Casey, Zadoc, congressman, was born in 1796 in Georgia. In 1833-43 he was a representative from Illinois to the twenty-third to the twenty-seventh congresses; also held the office of lieutenant-governor of the state; and was a member of one of the state constitutional conventions. He died in 1862 in Caseyville, Ill.
[Source: "Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw", 1909 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Rufus N. Rhodes
RHODES, RUFUS NAPOLEON, journalist, was born June 5, 1856, at Pascagoula, Jackson County, Miss., and died January 12, 1910, at Birmingham; son of Rufus Randolph and Martha (Fisher) Rhodes, the former who was for many years a prominent lawyer practicing at Washington, D. C., and at New Orleans, was a soldier in the war under Johnston and Lee and was a personal friend of Jefferson Davis. He received his education under his mother's direction; in the public schools and high school; in Stewart College; and was in the Southwestern Presbyterian University at Clarksville, Tennessee, until 1873. He also attended the grammar school of Dr. J. B. Shearer at Chester Springs, Va.; studied law under Hon. James E. Bailey at Clarksville, Tenn., was admitted to the bar at nineteen; in 1876-77 served as private secretary to Mr. Bailey, then United States senator; from 1877 to 1881 was city attorney at Clarksville; was a member of the Tennessee legislature 1881-82; from 1883-87 practiced law in Chicago and in 1887 located in Birmingham. He founded the Birmingham News on March 14, 1888. He was one of the promoters of the old Commercial Club, afterward the Chamber of Commerce which he served as president. He was a democrat and served as a delegate at large from Alabama to the National Democratic Conventions of 1892 and 1904; was a member and vestryman of the Church of the Advent, Episcopal; and held military commissions from the governor of Tennessee, the governor of Illinois, the governor of Alabama and at the time of his death was brigadier general of the Ninth Congressional district. In 1906 the University of Alabama conferred upon him the LL. D. Degree. At the time of his death he was second vice president of the Associated Press. Married: June 27, 1882, at Clarksville, Tenn., to Margaret Smith, daughter of Christopher H. and Lucy (Dabney) Smith. Last residence: Birmingham.
["History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography", Volume 4 by Thomas McAdory Owen and Mrs. Marie (Bankhead) Owen, 1921 TK - Sub. by a FoFG]
George Frank BERGFELD, real estate and building; born, Chicago, Oct. 16, 1865; son of Alexander and Elizabeth Bergfeld; educated in St. Louis public schools; married, St. Louis, June 16, 1889, Ella M. Hufft; one son: Lucas Lee. Began in employ of Henry V. Lucas, real estate, 1880, remaining with him until 1887; with Scruggs, Vandervoort & Barney Dry Goods Co. as assistant cashier until 1889; president Bergfeld-Parker Real Estate Co., 1889-98; now president George F. Bergfeld Realty Co., George F. Bergfeld Investment and Construction Co. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange, Civic League. Mason. Republican. Office: 610 Chestnut St. Residence: 5171 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Src #182, CS )
Ferdinand Charles BRETSNYDER, president Bell Oil Co.; born, Chicago, Oct. 14, 1868; son of Balthazar and Eliza (Farber) Bretsnyder; educated in public schools of Chicago to age of fifteen; married, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., July 5, 1896, Mamie Kofoed; eight children: Mildred, Nina, Alta (deceased), Marvel, Francis, Hazel, Rudolph and Ferdinand, Jr. Engaged in engraving business in Chicago with brother William, 1883-90; then entered retail oil and coal business; sold out coal business, 1895, but continued sale of oil until 1903; removed to St. Louis and established retail oil business; incorporated, Mar. 25, 1905, Bell Oil Co., wholesale dealers in illuminating and lubricating oils. Member St. Louis Creditmen's Association, St. Louis Sales managers' Association, Motor Accessory Association; organizer and member Independent Petroleum Market Association of United States. Independent Republican and formerly an active worker for the party. Was candidate for alderman while in Chicago, upon Municipal Ownership ticket headed by John P. Altgeld as candidate for mayor. Christian Scientist. Member Knights of Pythias, Order of Columbus Knights. Clubs: Rotary, St. Louis Automobile. Recreations: motoring and home diversions. Office: First Ferry, Oak and Cornelia Sts. Residence: 1420 E. Obear Ave.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912., Src #182, CS)
James Edward BUCHANAN, manager Missouri Athletic Club; born, Chicago, Dec. 4, 1809; son of Joseph O. and Jennie Buchanan; educated in Chicago public schools; married, Chicago, June 21, 1908, Louise Darnall. Previous to 1908 engaged in railroad service; manager Missouri Athletic Club since Oct. 1, 1908. Independent in politics. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Address: Missouri Athletic Club.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912., Src #182, CS)
Otto Schubert BUSCH, brewers' supplies; born, Chicago, Mar. 6, 1871; son of Ulrich and Anna (Anheuser) Busch; nephew of Adolphus Busch; educated in public schools of Chicago and at Racine (Wis.) College; married, Louisville, Ky., Apr. 28, 1893, to Miss Anna Bonn; one son, Ulrich. Resident of St. Louis since 1891; has been engaged in the brewers' supply business since 1898, now representing M. Seidenberger Sons, of Germany, hop growers and importers. Democrat. Member Masonic Order, Fraternal Order of Eagles, B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: Union, Liederkranz. Residence: 6152 Washington Boulevard. (Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912., Src #182, CS)
Gouverneur CALHOUN, commercial representative American Telephone and Telegraph Co.; born, Chicago, September, 1868; son of John B. and Frances (Thompson) Calhoun; educated in Chicago High School and took four-year regular academic course at Yale University; married, 1902, Felicia, daughter of Frederick N. Judson, of St. Louis. Continuously in service of American Telephone and Telegraph Co. (long-distance telephone) since 1893, serving successively as superintendent at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and at St. Louis, 1898-1911; now commercial representative. Member Civic League of St Louis. Episcopalian. Clubs: Mercantile, City, Algonquin. Office: Equitable Bldg. Residence: 3733 Washington Ave. (Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912., Src #182, CS)
Arnold, Bion Joseph, electrical engineer, inventor, was born Aug. 14, 1861, in Casnovia, Mich. He was educated at the Nebraska public schools in 1872-79; attended the University of Nebraska in 1879-80; and graduated from Hillsdale College with the degree of B.S. in 1884; receiving the degree of M.S. in 1887 and the honorary degree of M.Ph. in 1888. In 1888-89 he took a postgraduate course at Cornell University; in 1897 received the degree of E.E. from the University of Nebraska; in 1902 received an honorary Degree from Hillsdale college;; in 1907 received honorary degree of Dr.Sc. from Armour institute of Chicago, Engineering from the University of Nebraska, He was the chief designer of the Iowa iron works at Dubuque; was mechanical engineer of the Chicago great western railway, later became consulting engineer in the Chicago office of the general electric, company; and since 1893 has been an independent consulting engineer. He was the designer and builder of the intramural r ailway at the world's Columbian exposition at Chicago in 1893; consulting electrical engineer to the Chicago and Milwaukee electric railway and Chicago board of trade; Grand trunk railway on electrification of St. Clair tunnel since 1905; consulting engineer to the Wisconsin state railway commission in 1905-07, and devised the plan for electrically operating trains of the New York Central and Hudson river railroad company in and out of New York, and a member of the electric traction commission in carrying out the work. In 1900-04 he was a member of the electric traction commission of the Erie railroad; in 1902 was consulting engineer for the city of Chicago to revise the street railway system; chief engineer of the work and chairman of the board of supervising engineers, having charge of the rehabilitation of the entire street railway system of Chicago in 1907-11. He is president of the Arnold Company, engineers and constructors. He is the inventor of a magnetic clutch, stor age battery improvements and pioneer in the development of the rotary converter sub-station and single phase systems of electric railways. He is consulting engineer of the public service commission for the state of New York on the transportation problems in New York and vicinity. In 1903-04 he was president of the American institute of electrical engineers; and in 1904 was vice-president and chairman of the executive committee of the international electrical congress, at St. Louis, Mo. In 1906-07 he was president of the Western society of engineers.
["Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life" - Src #183]
GEORGE A. LUCE, one of the leading citizens of Hope, North Dakota, conducts a thriving agricultural implement business and is a wide awake and progressive man. He was the first established business man of that city, and has met with continued success in whatever line he has directed his abilities, and is the proprietor of a well stocked establishment, and also engages in wheat raising on his farm near there.
Our subject was born in Wheeling, Cook county, Illinois, August 18, 1842, and was the oldest son and second child born to Benjamin C. and Mrs. Rebecca (Brown) Luce. His mother bore the maiden name of Ruth. The name of Luce is probably a French name, Luci, which has been perverted. The great-grandfathers of our subject, both paternal and maternal, served with the Vermont soldiers in the Revolutionary war, and the grandfather, Andrew Luce, served in the war of 181 2.
Until eighteen years of age our subject resided on his father's farm in Cook county, and he attended school, and spent two years in a private school in Connecticut. He purchased forty acres of timberland in Berrien county, Michigan, when eighteen years of age, and developed a fruit farm, and resided in that state almost continuously until 1875, and while there he was agent for a steamboat for three years and bought grain one year. He took charge of his father's farm until 1882, and in February of that year went to Hope. North Dakota. The town was then but platted, and consisted of but one story of the Hope House hotel. Our subject erected the first "shack" in the town, a 14x32-foot structure, and hauled three carloads of machinery sixteen miles across the country from Clifford and established the first business of the city. He was in partnership with C. G. Merriell, under the firm name of Luce & Merriell, and in the fall of 1882 two of Mr. Merriell's brothers joined the firm and introduced hardware, and the firm was changed to Merriell Brothers & Luce. They continued in business thus until 1892, when our subject withdrew, and now conducts the agricultural implement business himself. He enjoys an extensive patronage and is among the well-informed men in that line. He is the owner of one section of land six miles northwest of Hope, and rents out the land, which is devoted to wheat raising.
Our subject is the father of five children, three by his first marriage and two by his second marriage. The elder children bear the following names: Ernest M. C, employed with the Deering Company at Hope: Leona M., now Mrs. J. T. Masters, of Steele county ; and Myrtie, now Mrs. George Swingle, of Chicago. Two younger children bear the names of Elsie and Georgie. Mrs. Luce bore the maiden name of Minnie N. Ellsbury. Mr. Luce is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Masonic fraternity, and has taken the thirty-second degree in the last named order. He is a Democrat in political faith and stands stanchly for party principles.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]
Lundy, Frank Jefferson, head of the firm of F. J. Lundy & Company, dealers in general merchandise at Ocean Springs, Jackson county, is also associated with his brother in the ownership of the fine Ocean Springs hotel, one of the most popular resorts on the gulf coast, while he is also cashier of the local branch of the Scranton State bank, being recognized as one of the most progressive business men and leading citizens of Jackson county. Mr. Lundy was born in the historic old city of Mobile, Ala., Oct. 23, 1863, and is a son of William A. and Margaret Louisa (Broughton) Lundy, both of whom were likewise native of that State and representatives of prominent old families of the commonwealth. Frank J. Lundy completed his specific educational discipline in the Barton academy, in Mobile, and in 1879 he became a clerical employee in the dry goods establishment of the firm of Wolf & Hogg, of Mobile, with whom he remained about ten years, familiarizing himself with the various details of the business and gaining an excellent reputation as a salesman. In 1891 he located in Ocean Springs, Miss., and engaged in the general merchandise business, forming a co-partnership with Wm. A. Horton, under the firm name of Horton & Lundy. Mr. Horton retired from the firm in 1896, Mr. Lundy acquiring his interest in the business, which he has since continued most successfully, under the title of F. J. Lundy & Company. In 1898, discerning the need for better facilities in the line, Mr. Lundy secured the establishing in Ocean Springs of a branch of the Scranton State bank, and he has since been cashier of the local branch, whose business has grown to be large and profitable. He is a stockholder in the main bank at Scranton, and a member of its board of directors. In 1900 Mr. Lundy became associated with his brother, Louis A. Lundy, in the purchase of the Ocean Springs hotel, one of the most attractive and popular resort hotels on the coast. The hotel, which is thoroughly modern in structure and appointments, is situated in a nine-acre grove of live oaks and cedars, with the south front facing the gulf, while the great gallery or veranda of the hotel is 500 feet in length. The place is ideal as a resort during the entire year and its hold on popular favor is constantly strengthening. Mr. Lundy is essentially and uncompromisingly an adherent of the Democratic party, is a member of the Masonic fraternity and holds membership in the Baptist church. In 1892 he was married to Miss Vera Poitevent, daughter of Capt. June and May (Staples) Poitevent, of New Orleans, La., and she died in 1895, being survived by one child, Vera May. In September, 1902, Mr. Lundy wedded Miss Mignon Coursen, daughter of Henry E. and May (Swearinger) Coursen, of Chicago, Ill., and they have one child, Margaret Louise.
["Mississippi: Contemporary Biography" Edited By Dunbar Rowland, 1907 - Src #183]
Wolfe, Isaac Kanter, stock broker of 3815 State st., Chicago, Ill., was born May 29, 1853, in New Orleans, La. In 1878-85 he was engaged in the dry goods business in Mobile, Ala.; and in 1888-91 was in the carpet business in Kansas City, Mo. Since 1891 he has been a member of the Chicago stock exchange and conducting a foreign exchange business with New York connections.
["Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography" by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914 - Src #183]
Taylor, Howard S., lawyer and poet of 6356 Stewart Ave., Chicago, Ill., was born Jan. 19, 1846, in Staunton, Va. He is best known by; his poems, one of which is The Man with the Musket.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, - Src #183]
Cooke, Abbot S., business president of Pittsburg, Pa., was born July 9, 1859, in Chicago, Ill. In 1881-87 he was cashier of the Springer Mercantile and Banking Company of Springer, N.M.; and in 1888-96 was engaged in the banking and lumber business in Hosington, Kan. In 1896-1905 he was the Eastern representative of the Morgan-Gardner Electric Company; and since 1905 has been president of the Cooke-Wilson Electric Supply Company of Pittsburg, Pa. He is a director of the Union Electric Company; vice-president and director of the Diamond Machine Company; and president of the Cooke and Wilson Company of Charleston, W. Va. He is a member of tho Sons of the American Revolution; a member of the Pittsburg Board of Trade; a member of the Pittsburg Athletic Association; and a member of the Automobile Club of Pittsburg and various other organizations.
["Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life" - Src #183]
McCANN, JAMES EDWARDS, Methodist minister, was born September 3, 1857, at Newbern. Hale County; son of John Wilson and Jane Teresa (Goff) McCann, the former spent his boyhood in his native state and his early manhood in Alabama, where he taught school in Clay County, admitted to the Methodist ministry by the Conference in 1845 at Mobile, and of which he was a member for forty-four years; grandson of Michael and Polly (Bishop) McCann of Hawkins County, Tenn., the former a member of the Tennessee bar who died at the age of forty-one; and of Edmund and Lucretia (Wells) Goff, of Jackson County, Miss.; greatgrandson of James McCann who immigrated from Ireland and settled in Virginia, a Roman Catholic in religion, a physician by profession, surgeon in the Revolutionary War, twice married, his second wife, a widow Arnold, who bore two children, Michael, and a daughter, who married a Reese. James E. McCann was educated in the village schools, and graduated at the Southern university, A. B., 1877; taught school for two years after graduation, joined the Alabama conference at Tuskegee, December, 1879, has held pastorates in Alabama and California conferences continuously since admission to the ministry. Married: October 1, 1884, at Santa Maria, Calif., to Sarah Ann, daughter of Irving Noland and Sarah Esther (Condit) McGuire. Her father was a "Forty-niner," and her mother was from Ohio. Children: 1. James, jr.: 2. Irving Goff, pastor Green street congregational church, Chicago, m. daughter of William H. Sands, Richmond, Va.; 3. Annie Ezell, m. a Russell of Columbus, Ga.; 4. John Wilson; 5. Christine Esther; 6. Ruth Aline; 7. Allie Boone; 8. Mary. Residence: Eufaula.
[History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
H. BAMBURG is a native of Boone County, Iowa, born in that state September 04, 1871. He was educated in the public and high schools of Chicago and graduated from the Bryant and Stratton Commercial College. For seven years he was manager of one of the largest clothing stores in Chicago. In 1904 he came to Kirksville Missouri and established the B & F store. He caters to clothing and furnishings for men and boys, and carries only high-class garments. Mr. Bamberg was married November 14, 1893 to Bertha Fishel, a daughter of S. Fishel. They have two children-- Jerome and Dorothy. Mr. Bamburg is a member of the Masonic, K.of P., Elks, Yeomen and Foresters' lodges, and is secretary of the Kirksville Business Men's League.
Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri", by E.M. Violette (1911) - JR - Sub by FoFG
NANCE, Albinus, governor of Nebraska, was born at Lafayette, Ill., march 30, 1848; son of Hiram and Sarah (Smith) Nance; grandson of William and Nancy (Smith), and of French Huguenot ancestry. He prepared for college in the schools of Lafayette and Kewanee, Ill.; enlisted as a private in company H., 9th Illinois volunteer cavalry, April 24, 1864, and served until the close of the civil war. He matriculated at Knox college, Galesburg, in the class of 1870, but left at the close of is freshman year and began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1872 and practiced in Osceola, Neb. He was married, Sept. 30, 1875, to Sarah, daughter of Egbert and Mary White of Farragut, Iowa. He was elected governor of Nebraska in 1879, and after the close of his second term in 1883, engaged as a banker and broker in Chicago, Ill. (Source: "THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS". Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
COOK, Douglas G., president American Wine Co.; born, Chicago, ILL., June 3, 1847; son of Isaac and Harriet (Norton) Cook; educated in public schools of Chicago and at Christian Brothers College, Notre Dame, Indiana; married, St. Louis, 1877, Carrie S. Dickson; children: Carrie D. (Mrs. Edward L. Preetorius), Douglas D., Ellis W. Began business career in employ of American Wine Co. (of which father was president) as shipping clerk, and advanced from one position to another until, on father's death, in 1886, succeeded as president, the company being manufacturers of champagne and controlling largo vineyards in Northern Ohio. Member Business Men's League, Merchants' and Manufacturers' Association. Mason, Knight Templar; member B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Glen Echo, Missouri Athletic. Recreation: fishing. Office: 3015 Cass Ave. Residence: 3828 Washington Ave. (Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
BUENGER, Theodore - St Paul (MN). Educator. Born April 29, 1860 in Chicago Ill, son of Theo E Parochial School Chicago 1866-73; Concordia College Fort Wayne Ind 1873-79; Concordia Seminary (study of theology) St Louis 1879-82. Preached in 30 settlements for church extension in northwestern Wis 1882-84; pastor in Cook county Ill 1884-91; pastor Lutheran Zion's Congregation St Paul 1891-93; appointed pres of Concordia College when it was founded in 1893. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
CALDWELL, James P, St Paul (MN). Res 1446 West Minnehana st, office same. Physician (Eclectic). Born Jan 21, 1848 in Illinois, son of D P and Jane (Meek) Caldwell. Married Apr 26, 1874 to Sidney E Simms. Attended the public schools in Illinois after the Civil War; studied medicine; graduated from Bennett Medical College Chicago 1875. Practiced medicine in Illinois 1875-79; in St Paul 1879 to date. Enlisted in Union army in defense of Union when 16 in an Ill regiment; U S Pension Examining Surgeon 4 years; special agent U S Census Office 2 years territory comprising N D and parts of Minn and Ia. Pres Eclectic Medical Society of Minn 1881-83; member Acker Post G A R and Lincoln Club St Paul. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
CAMMACK, Edward A., St Paul (MN). Res 601 Goodrich, office 82 E 3d st. Merchant. Born in 1855 in Illinois, son of John and Sarah (Moody) Cammack. Married Sep 1887 to Susan K Hinchliff. Educated in Chicago schools. With whol jewelry house Chicago during fire of 1871; in whol grocery 1871-73; country stores Ill 1873-76; dairy and creamery business Ia 1876-78; Marvin & Cammack Rochester Minn 1878; in St Paul since 1881 and pres Crescent Creamery co 1888 to date. Member Commercial Club, Produce Exchange and Board of Trade. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
CAMPBELL, William Jr, Stillwater, Manufacturer. Born Jan 4, 1867 in Manteno Ill, son of William and Sarah Jane (Foster) Campbell. Married Nov 15, 1892 to Nellie A Hatch. Educated in common schools Manteno Ill. First engaged as bkpr with Sheldon & Co Chicago 1883-87; engaged in retail shoe business Minneapolis until 1890; trav salesman for L D Kilbourn Shoe Co 1890-91; same for North Star Shoe Co 1891-1906; sec and gen mngr Connolly Shoe co Stillwater 1906 to date.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
FORLINE, Charles M., manager Keasby & Mattison Co., asbestos materials; born, Mattoon, ILL., Jan. 7, 1860; son of John A. and Elizabeth Corbin Forline; graduated from Ottawa (Kansas) High School, 1876; married, Downs, Osborn Co., Kan., Feb. 16, 1886, Verna Market; one son: Carl Melville. Was in wholesale drug business on own account for years in Downs, Kan., and afterwards in same business, and mining in Colorado, at Colorado Springs and Manitou, Colo.; later in wholesale drug business in Chicago; left there to become general western manager for Keasby & Mattison Co. Democrat. Mason; member Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias. Office: 215-217 Chestnut St. Residence: 3865 Juniata St. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
FAY, William, electrical engineer; born, Elgin, ILL., Apr. 5, 1864; son of John and Hannah (Welch) Fay; educated in public and private schools, Elgin; Drew's Business College, graduating, 1884; studied engineering for four years under Charles Vanvepole, Chicago; married, St. Louis, Aug. 8, 1897, Mrs. Cecilia G. Gray, nee Annis; one adopted daughter: Carlotta Belle. Was connected with the Chicago gas plant, 1888-91; in charge of lighting and power plants of Pennsylvania Ry. between Chicago and Crestline, O., 1891-92; was identified with the establishment and incorporation of the Aurora & Elgin Electric Ry., 1892-93; with the Thomson-Houston Electric Co., 1893; came to St. Louis, 1890, and was connected with Laclede Power Co., 1896-99; with the Imperial Light and Power Co. and its successor, the Union Light and Power Co., until 1903; at time of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition was in charge of the World's Fair Automobile and Transit Co.; in business for self since 1905. Republican. Catholic. Office: 1614, 721 Olive St. Residence: 5223 Cabanne Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
L. G. DENNISON.
Well known throughout San Miguel county and the surrounding country for his beautiful home and his generous and considerate hospitality, prominent in the cattle industry and well established in the best social circles, L. G. Dennison, living about twenty miles south of Norwood, has won his way in the world over adverse circumstances and his present estate is wholly the product of his own efforts and capacity. He was born at Chicago, Illinois, on March 11, 1856, and is the son of William and Ruth (Thomas) Dennison, and the last born of their five children. His father died in Chicago in 1859, and the mother soon afterward moved her family to Michigan, where she died in 1860. Thus orphaned at the age of four, their son grew to manhood under the care of strangers, and although his father left a large amount of property in Chicago, he found himself on the threshold of life's duties with nothing but his natural abilities, his courage and his determined industry as the capital for his coming struggle, for the estate had been practically expended by the guardians. His boyhood and youth were passed at Niles, Michigan, where he received a good common-school education and attended Avalon College. In 1870, at the age of fourteen, he came west for his health, located at Cheyenne, Wyoming, where he remained until 1878. He then settled at Denver, Colorado, and secured a position in the offices of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company, which he held until 1880. In that year he moved to Telluride, making the trip with teams in company with Oris Thomas and two other persons. The country was wholly unsettled then, or almost so, and full of Indians. Provisions were very high, flour being forty dollars a hundred weight, and other things in proportion. In 1882 he and Mr. Thomas engaged together in merchandise at Telluride, and continued their operations until 1886. He then sold his interest in the establishment and settled on the ranch he now occupies and which has ever since been his home. It comprises six hundred and forty-eight acres, is beautifully located, highly fertile and well improved, making it one of the most attractive homes in the county, renowned alike for its natural and artistic beauties and its wealth of hospitality, as unostentatious as it is unstinted, and as genuine as it is generous. The cattle bred and handled here are thoroughbreds of high grade and every care is taken to keep them up to a high standard of excellence and in first-class condition. Mr. Dennison is a prominent member of the Masonic order, belonging to lodge, chapter and commandery, and taking an active interest in the welfare of all. He also belongs to the Woodmen of the World, and is influential in the proceedings of his lodge in this order. On August 30, 1882, at Denver, he was married to Miss Nellie Thomas, a native of Flint, Michigan, who became a resident of Denver not long before her marriage. She is the daughter of Charles A. and Amoretta (Knapp) Thomas, natives of Albion, New York, but now residents of Telluride. Mrs. Dennison is a highly cultivated lady, with musical talent of an elevated order which has been carefully cultivated, and she and her husband are among the leading people in this portion of the state. (Source: "Progressive Men of Western Colorado", Publ 1905. Transcribed by Marilyn Clore)
DR. FINLA McCLURE
Under the most favorable circumstances, the life of a country doctor is one of toil and to some extent, of hardship and privation. And when it is passed on the frontier, with a territory of enormous extent and sparsely populated to ride through, without roads, bridges or other public conveniences in many places, with danger ever near and the means of averting it often scarcely attainable, it becomes a destiny of great exactions and slender rewards, all the unfavorable elements being many times multiplied and the compensations rendered at the same time more uncertain and less profitable. On the other hand, however, the nature of his work and the wild life of exposure and hardship fashions the practitioner into a man of rugged health, strong nerve, ever ready resourcefulness, and commanding influence, makes him the friend of every settler and all of them friends of him, elevates him into a personage of universal regard, and gives him a controlling voice in the life of the region if he should choose to have it. Such as this has been the experience of many a good physician in the West, and among them, Dr. Finla McClure is worthy of high mention. He was born at Dundee, Illinois, on March 23, 1849, and six months later moved with his parents to Elgin, where he lived until he reached the age of ten years. The family then moved to Chicago, and in that city he completed his academic training at the high school and entered Rush Medical College for his professional course. He was graduated from the medical college in February, 1876, and at once began practicing in Chicago. He continued his work there until the spring of 1880, when he came to Colorado and located in Chaffee County, at a town then called Junction City, but since re-baptized Garfield, which was a small mining camp. The doctor opened an office in a tent there and was soon actively engaged in a large mining practice. He also, imbibing the spirit of the place and time, became interested in the mining industry, and this taste then acquired, has never left him, as he has had an interest in mining properties ever since. Her practiced medicine nine years at Garfield, serving as surgeon for all the large mines and companies, then in 1889, moved his office and residence to Salida, where he has since made his home and enlarged his practice. He is the oldest physician in the county and is easily in the front rank in his profession in this part of the world. He has also from the beginning of his career here, been active and forceful in political matters. He was a Republican until 1895, then became a Populist and was elected mayor of Salida as such, and since then he has served for a number of years as a member of the city council. In 1903, he was again elected mayor, he being at the time out of the state on a visit to Michigan. His interest in the growth and improvement of the city has been unflagging and has been shown in actions of wisdom and breadth of view. He is largely entitled to the credit for the fine streets of the city and for many other features of utility or enjoyment for its people. He started the work of improvement during his first term as mayor, and it has steadily progressed ever since, receiving a new impetus during his second term. He has also rendered efficient and valued service to the people as county physician, and to the fraternal life of the community as a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the order of Elks. He was married at Elgin, Illinois, on October 17, 1877, to Miss Leah S. Anderson, a native of that state. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed By Joanne Scobee Morgan)
COLONEL WILLIAM H. ROBINSON, treasurer and general manager of Beidler & Robinson Lumber Company, with headquarters in Mayville, is a gentleman of much executive ability and is widely known as an intelligent and public-spirited citizen. He is identified with various financial enterprises in that part of the state, and has made a success of life, winning his way upward by energetic efforts and faithful service.
Our subject was born in Chicago, Illinois, October 21, 1843, and was the eldest of a family of five children born to Henry and Jane (Hutchings) Robinson. His parents were natives of England, and the mother still lives at Albert Lea, Minnesota. After entering upon his business career Mr. Robinson was called to defend his country, and enlisted, in 1861, in Company F, Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Returning from the war, he began clerking for J. Biedler Lumber Company in Chicago, and was with that firm about twelve years, and in 1876 began for himself in Allerton, Iowa, and in 1882 disposed of his Iowa interests and arrived at Portland, Dakota, in May, and under the firm name of Beidler & Robinson established the lumber business at Portland, and in 1885 the firm of Beidler & Robinson Lumber Company was incorporated. They now have twenty-six lumber yards in North Dakota and Minnesota. Soon after the incorporation of the company the headquarters were taken up in Mayville, and the business of the company has been more than successful. Mr. Robinson is also a junior member of the firm Dibley & Robinson, dealers in steel combination and wood bridges, the firm having headquarters at Fargo. Mr. Robinson is also an Indian trader at Standing Rock agency at Fort Yates, North Dakota.
Our subject was married in 1870 to Miss Lillian Abbott, of Chicago. One daughter was born to this union, who is now Mrs. R. H. Bush, of Grand Forks. Mr. Robinson was married in 1896 to Miss Edith Anderson. Mr. Robinson was a member of the senate in the first state legislature, and did very efficient work toward passing the prohibition bill through the senate. He also assisted in securing the location of the State Normal at Mayville. He is prominent in public affairs, and has been prominently identified with the Republican party of the state; was a delegate to the Minneapolis national convention, and attended the St. Louis convention and was there elected national committeeman for North Dakota. He was chairman of the state central committee during three campaigns, and at present is chairman of the state central committee and a member of the national committee. Mr. Robinson is a Knight Templar and thirty-second-degree Mason, and also holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
DINEHART, Clarence Christopher, Slayton (MN). State treasurer. Born April 3, 1877 in Chicago. Moved with parents to Slayton in 1884; attended Slayton schools; Central High School Minneapolis, and graduated from U of M 1899; asst cashr State Bank of Slayton 1899-1902; pres village council until 1902; resigned to take law course in U of M from which he graduated 1905; re-entered banking business and was elected state treasurer on Republican ticket 1906. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
DONALD, Alexander, St Paul (MN). Res 821 Fairmont av, office Endicott Arcade. Physician. Born March 17, 1848 in Hamilton Ill, son of William and Ann (Wright) Donald. Attended public schools in Hamilton and Normal from 1865-67. M D degree from Hahnemann Medical College Chicago 1878. Taught school and was life ins agt before beginning the practice of medicine; practiced first in Chicago and in Stillwater 1880-87; has been engaged in practice of medicine in St Paul 1887 to date.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ROBERTS, CHARLES B.
Charles B. Roberts, who is one of the most extensive ranch and cattle men in Routt county, having a ranch of eleven hundred and twenty acres, of which nine hundred acres are under cultivation, eighteen miles south of Yampa, was born in Cook county, Illinois, on January 1, 1864, on land that is now far within the limits of Chicago, which was then a city of less than thirty years old but had already a population of nearly one hundred and seventy-five thousand. He is the son of William and Harriett Roberts, natives of England who emigrated to the United States soon after their marriage and located near Chicago, where the father started and for years conducted a sash, blind and door factory, the first of the kind in that part of the country. He died there in May, 1896, and the mother is still living there. The father was an ardent Republican in political allegiance and always gave earnest and effective service to his party. Two of the children in the family are living, Alice M., wife of William Cuthbert, and Charles B. The latter had good educational advantages while at home and supplemented them by attending school after he started in life for himself. He became a resident of Routt county in 1883, and purchasing three hundred and twenty acres of land in Burns basin, began ranching and raising cattle, and he has so prospered in his undertaking that he has increased his ranch to its present size by subsequent purchases from his earnings on the first tract, and out of the same revenues has made all the extensive and valuable improvements of the place. The ranch was one of the first two located in that section of the county, the one owned by Dr. Butler and James Sanden being the other. The water right appertaining to it is the first one from the source of supply and is independent. It furnishes a good body of water and has helped to make the place so fruitful and valuable, with nine hundred acres under cultivation and the rest good pasture land. When Mr. Roberts made his first purchase there were but five settlers in all this region and the nearest trading post was Georgetown, more than seventy-five miles distant. All the products suited to the soil and climate are raised abundantly, but the main reliance is on hay and cattle. The owner has so expanded his business and so successfully conducted it that he has stimulated others to increased activity and aided greatly in opening the region to additional settlers. Since August, 1903, he has been carrying on a meat market at Yampa, handling range cattle principally. Politically he is a Republican in national affairs, and in fraternal circles is an ardent third-degree Mason. He has at various times made diligent efforts to locate paying mining claims, but in this has not been very successful. He owns, however, considerable real estate of value in addition to his ranch, one piece being one of the most imposing and complete residences at Yampa. Venturing his all as a young man on the wild llanos of a remote and unsettled section of the country, and waiting with lofty and enduring patience for the good results that he felt must follow persistent and well-applied labor, this prominent and progressive citizen is now reaping the rewards of his confidence and industry in a large and steadily increasing income, and has the satisfaction of knowing also that he has helped to give to the wealth and comfort of the world a new domain of vast extent and enormous worth. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
BLISS, Lafayette, Virginia (MN). City school supt. Born Sept 15, 1865 in Chicago Ill, son of William A and Elizabeth G (Gartley) Bliss. Married in 1893 to Anna E Cohoon. Educated in public schools Chicago; graduated from Carleton College A B 1884. First engaged in teaching; supt of schools Waseca 1895-1904; supt schools Duluth 1904 to date. Member Commercial Club Virginia; Masonic fraternity. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
FABER, Peter, Minneapolis. Res 1413 Lyndale av N, office 213 Plymouth av. Merchant. Born September 28, 1858 in Chicago, son of Nicholas and Mary (Hankes) Faber. Married June 10,1884 to Caroline Weiss. Educated in common schools. Farmed until 1881; engaged with J I Case Plow Co 1881-84; engaged in hardware and farm machinery business as Christian Faber & Co Minneapolis 1884-94; became sole propr 1894 and has continued to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
FITCH, Major Graham Denby, Duluth. Res 414 E Superior, office Engineers bldg. U S Army officer. Born Feb 19, 1860 in Chicago, son of Henry S and Ellen Rose (Hetzel) Fitch. Married in 1900 to Hermonie King. Educated in France and Germany and West Point. In U S Engineers Corps; service on Mississippi river, N Y harbor, Willetts Point. Santiago, Cuba, Oswego, Lake Ontario and Little Rock Ark; appointed to Duluth 1906 in charge of harbor improvements. Member Society C E; Commercial, Kitchi Gammi and Northland Country clubs Duluth and University Club N Y. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
BROOKS, Robert H, Minneapolis. Secretary Public Service Club. Born Aug 13, 1881 in Chicago, son of Frank L and Fannie D (Harmon) Brooks. Married Sept 6, 1904 to Ida B Dunham. Educated in public schools of Minneapolis; preparatory school Lawrenceville N J and graduated from Univ of Dansas 1903. Engaged on editorial staff of the N W Miller until 1903; commercial editor of Minneapolis Daily Times until May 1904; sec of Public Service Club 1905-1906. Gen mercantile agency together with retail credit reporting collections and adjustments. Member Roosevelt Club Minneapolis. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
BRYANT, John W., Minneapolis. Res 707 Delaware st S E, office 2601-2611 University av. Foundryman. Born 1866 in Chicago Ill, son of George M Bryant. Married July 3, 1885 to Katherine Fewer. Educated in the public schools of Minneapolis and Curtis Business College. Engaged with father in Eagle Foundry operated in Chicago 1868; same moved to Duluth 1872; moved to Minneapolis in 1878; succeeded to the business on the death of his father 1891; succeeded to the business on the death of his father 1891; incorporated as The Bryant & Lee Co 1904 of which he is now pres and treas. Member Masonic fraternity, Shrine and East Side Commercial Club.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
WARD, WILLIAM HARRISON
WILLIAM HARRISON WARD, police judge of the city of Snohomish, is one of the pioneers of the county and is a man whose influence has been felt from the time that he took up a soldier's homestead a short distance south of the present city, in the days when the embryo settlement was known by the name of Cadyville. Mr. Ward is a native of New York, born the 28th day of November, of 1840, the second of four children of Chauncey H. and Margaret (Hufstater) Ward. The elder Ward was born in Massachusetts, but after becoming a mechanic he moved to the Empire state, coming still further west to Chicago in 1853. Mrs. Ward was born in New York of German parentage and received her education in that state. She died in Illinois. William H. Ward received his early education in New York schools and after the removal of his parents to Ottawa, Illinois, attended the high school in that city. He says, however, that the best part of his education was gained in a printing office, which he entered when seventeen years of age and where he served three years. This was at Ottawa, Illinois, where he also became noted as a vocal and instrumental musician. It is among Mr. Ward's pleasant recollections that he was a member of a band which played at the debates between Douglas and Lincoln in the great campaign of 1858 and listened to the forensic duel of the "Little Giant" and "Old Abe." At a later time Mr. Ward traveled extensively throughout the middle west with a concert band. At Beloit, Wisconsin, he enlisted as a member of a regimental band for a three-year term in the Civil War, but fifteen months later by act of congress was mustered out and discharged at Harrison's Landing, Virginia, in 1862. Mr. Ward returned to his Illinois home for a short time when he went to Watertown, New York, and learned the trade of carriage ironer. He remained there for a year and a half, when he engaged as member of a circus band, with which organization he played for one season. He passed the following winter in Albany, New York, and then returned to Illinois, where he worked at blacksmithing. In 1871 Mr. Ward came to Snohomish, then but a hamlet under the name of Cadyville. He took up a soldier's homestead two miles south of the settlement and at the same time rented an adjoining piece of land, which he worked for two years. In the spring of 1874 Mr. Ward opened the first blacksmith shop in the town and remained at his forge until 1899, having sold his homestead after proving up.
In 1866 in Chicago, Mr. Ward married Miss Mary A. Carroll, daughter of Peter Carroll, a native of Ireland who came to the United States and became a mechanic in New York state. Mrs. Ward was born in Rome, Oneida county, in the central part of the Empire state, in 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Ward has been born two children: Frank C. who died when an infant, and Mrs. Lillian C. James, who is now a resident of Everett. In fraternal circles Mr. Ward is a member of the Odd Fellows, being a Past Grand, Master of the State, and was the first Noble Grand of the Snohomish, and also one of the Rebekahs, as is also Mrs. Ward, who is Past Noble Grand and also Past Grand President. Mr. Ward is also a Mason, a past master and member of the blue lodge, and of the Order of the Eastern Star. In politics Mr. Ward is a Republican, having served out an unexpired term as county auditor, having been a justice of the peace and now police judge since 1902. In the summer of 1903 Judge Ward took a trip to Alaska for the purpose of a pleasure trip and, incidentally, to satisfy his curiosity about that country of the North.
Mr. Ward has ever been interested in the betterment of his community and his influence on the musical tastes of the people of Snohomish has been very marked. His early training in this line has made him of great value to the community and he has always been ready to lend his knowledge for any occasion. Mr. Ward is a popular citizen of Snohomish, a sterling character and one whose influence is always in the direction of liberality and broadness of view. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties (WA), Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]
LOUIS STOFFERAN resides about five miles southwest of Anglin (WA) post office. He was born on February 6, 1863, in Chicago, Illinois. His father, Paul S., was a native of Germany and came to the United States in 1852, locating in Chicago the next year, where he is now living a retired life, aged seventy-two. He married Miss Mary Fleece, also a native of Germany, who came to Chicago in 1853, and died in 1897. Our subject received a good common-school education. In 1894 he married Miss Heelen Stedman. Her parents, Nelson and Harrietta (Reed) Stedman, were natives of New York, and early pioneers to Ford county, Illinois, where they both died. In 1896 our subject came west with his wife and located in Northwest Territory, Canada. They traveled to various places in British Columbia, and finally on January 7, 1902, located their present estate. The land is all under fence, is fertile and supplied with natural advantages, such as timber, water and so forth, while Mr. Stofferan has already made a good many improvements. He does general farming and stock raising. Mr. Stofferan has traveled a great deal in his day, has been in twenty-two states of the Union and has followed his trade in nineteen of them. He is a skilled carpenter and does carpenter work in addition to his other occupations Mr. Stofferan helped to organize the Columbian Knights and is a member of that order. He also belongs to the I. O. O. F.. having passed the degrees of that order. On January 26, 1897, to Mr. and Mrs. Stofferan, one child was born, Mary. They are good people and have manifested a commendable industry in their efforts to develop this western country. [Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin]
Banker; born in Cook Co., Ill., April 29, 1856; educated in the public schools of Memphis, Tenn.; began his business career as clerk in a grocery store in 1869; in 1877 he formed a partnership with his brother, which firm is now known as J.T. Walsh & Bro.; he is also president of the North Memphis Savings Bank; in 1893 he was elected councilman of the city of Memphis; member of Catholic church. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WALSH, John T.
Merchant; born Cook County, Ill., December 7, 1854; Irish descent; married Elizabeth Bannon July 22, 1879; Democrat; elected member Board Public Works, Memphis, 1893; elected Police and Fire Commissioner 1904, Vice-Mayor Memphis 1906. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HEALY, Robert Wallace
Manufacturer; born Chicago, Ill., Oct. 22, 1836; Irish descent; son of Robert and Anne (Wallace) Healy; fathers occupation farmer and contractor; paternal grandparents, Robert and Mary (Brennan) Healy, maternal grandparents, Patrick and Anne (Dormer) Wallace; educated in Cook County, Ill., and University of Notre Dame, Ind., graduated from latter A.B., 1859, M.A., 1865; L.D.D., 1908; in early life was clerk in Pork Packing establishment of Thomas Nash; married twice, first Sarah J. Nolan, Oct. 1, 1862, second A. Jeannette Cooke, Oct. 25, 1899; member of Golf and Country Club, Commercial Club, of Chattanooga; Past Grand Knight, Knights of Columbus, Loyal Legion, Society Army of Tenn., Mountain City Golf Club; Republican; Chairman of Republican State Executive Committee of Alabama, 1872-4; delegate to Nat. Republican Convention, 1876; candidate for Presidential Elector, 1876; was member of first Board of Directors of Carnegie Library; enlisted in 58 th Ill. Infantry Sept. 25, 1861; Capt. Dec. 25, 1861; Maj. Oct. 20, 1864; Lieut.-Col. April 10, 1865; Col. Oct. 3, 1865; brevetted Lt. Col. March 26, 1865 for faithful and meritorious services during campaign against Mobile; Brig. Gen. Vols. March 13, 1865; honorably mustered out April 1, 1866; served at Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, Meridian; on Banks Red River expedition; at Ft. De Russey, Pleasant Hill, Yellow Bayou, etc.; commanding regiment also in various engagements in A.J. Smiths campaign against Gen. Forrest, and Oxford, Miss.; transferred to Mo., serving under Rosecrans against Price; commanded a regiment in battle of Nashville, Tenn., and pursuit of Hood, Dec. 1864; appointed Inspector-General 2nd division 16th Army Corps, March 1865; took part in campaign against Mobile, and battle of Blakely, April 9, 1865; returned to command of regiment July, 1865, and garrisoned at Montgomery, Ala., after war; purchasing agent Erlanger Syndicate, operating Queen & Crescent System to Jan. 1892, when he became Pres. of Ross-Mehan Foundry Co., Chattanooga, Tenn.; former U.S. Marshal South and Middle Districts of Ala., 1867-76; former director in Tecumseh Iron Co., of Ala., from 1873 to 1908; member of Roman Catholic Church. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
(deceased); was a prominent and respected citizen, not only of Chicago in its earliest history, but of Racine and this county. He was born in Detroit in 1793, and, in his early life went through the exciting scene - the massacre at Ft. Dearborn by the Indians - during the war of 1812. He afterward became the first settler of Chicago, Ill., and erected and occupied the first house, and was for several years prominently identified with the early history of its organization and settlement. The first election at Chicago was held at his house; the poll-book is now in possession of his son, Robert Kinzie, a merchant of Avoca, Wis., and is the original record. James Kinzie resided in Chicago until about 1836, then moved to Racine, Wisconsin Territory, and was energetic in starting and building up of various enterprises there for several years. He had brought there and maintained during his life the character of an able, upright, enterprising business man, and everything he undertook the citizens put confidence in. In about 1850, he came to Iowa County, locating in the town of Clyde, where he was extensively interested in farming and milling. He added largely to the progress and improvements of the town of Clyde, and therefore became very popular, and was almost invariably called on at every election to fill some office of trust in the town. His character is so well known to the many who knew him, that it is needless to describe at length its traits; suffice it to say that he was thoughtful and independent in the formation of opinions pertaining to right and duty, exhibiting in his every walk of life that integrity which was the natural part of a noble and upright mind. Mr. Kinzie was twice married; his first wife, Leah See, died in Racine; of that marriage, there is now one daughter living, Margaret E., wife of Martin Liscomb, Heywood, Illinois. Mr. Kinzie's second wife was Virginia Hale, a native of Giles Co., W. Va.; born in 1822. She was married to Mr. Kinzie in Racine; she occupies the homestead in Clyde and is loved and respected by all. Their children are Robert, a merchant in Avoca; he married Lottie Frost; Mary, now deceased, was the wife of Joseph Frost; Fannie, wife of Charles Frost, merchant at Avoca; Maria, wife of E.L. Thurber, Council Bluffs, Iowa; Erastus E., married M. Lucinda Bourgeault, and is a leading farmer of this town (Clyde); Jennie, wife of Joseph Frost, merchant at Avoca; Sarah, wife of William Liscomb, Sioux City, Dak.; Julia G., Cornelia G., Lizzie G. and James L. reside on the homestead with their mother. [Source: "History of Iowa County, Wisconsin: Containing an Account of Its Settlement, Growth, Development and Resources..."; Chicago: Western Historical Co. April, 1881. Tr. by K. Mohler]
NASH, Walter Starnes, surgeon; born Chicago, Ill., Dec. 15, 1865; Scotch-English descent; son of Jeff A. and Mareta E. (Starnes) Nash; fathers occupation farmer; educated in public schools of Ky.; graduated from University of Mich. with degree M.D. June 27, 1889; in early life he was a farmer boy; married Eva Winter Jan. 28, 1891; member Masons, 32 nd degree, Past Grand Regent Royal Arcanum; Democrat; Councilman City of Knoxville, Tenn.; Past Pres. Tenn. State Health Officers Assn.; Professor of Anatomy and Abdominal Surgery in Tenn. Medical College, Knoxville, Tenn.; member of Methodist Church; interested in real estate and marble quarrying. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; tr. by K. Mohler]
BURRELL, SHIELS Family Data
(Note: Researchers, Please make sure to verify all data for yourself.)
Elizabeth Surname Shiels (nee Burrell) Country of Origin Scotland Date of Birth 26/3/1818 Year of Arrival in Australia 1849
Story Elizabeth Shiels (nee Burrell/Birrell) born in 1818 at Abbotshall, Fife, Scotland left Plymouth on the "Agenoria" on 7/2/1849 for Sydney; arriving at her destination on 26/5/1849 - after a short period of months the family moved on to Victoria. On board the barque sailing ship was Elizabeth's husband William Shiels (Shields) an Engineer - they married at the George Parish Church, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland on 1/1/1838. Also on board were their children David, Isabella/Isabel and William and on the journey Elizabeth gave birth to Fanny and that must have been quite an ordeal.
On board too was Elizabeth's sister Margaret and her husband John Greig, a tailor (who later set up tent cities and became a Gold miner in Ballarat, Victoria; before the Eureka rebellion). Accompanying Margaret and John were their children - Isabella, Agnes, John and Margaret. Agnes later became famous for her account of the Eureka stockade - she was an eye witness - and she also became a poet. Agnes later married William Franks a Gold miner at Ballarat. On the"Agenoria" too was Walter Greig a brother of John Greig (senior).
Elizabeth and Margaret's father was Henry Birrel (Birrell) a Stone-Mason in 1807 in Neutoun, Edinburgh and a Stone-Mason and Innkeeper in Dunfermline, Fife in 1810. One of this Henry's direct ancestors, also a Henry Birrell was a Fisherman in Easter Weems Fife in 1705. The mother of Elizabeth and Margaret was Isabel Bowman (alternative spelling is Beaumont) born in Northfod, Dunfermline, Fife. Isabel Bowman's paternal ancestry was from a long line of Coalminers, Coalhewers and Coal mine owners from Wemyss, Kilconquhar and Dunfermline, Fife.
Elizabeth Shiels (nee Burrell/Birrell) was one of ten children -
A brother Henry Burrell (Birrell) born in 1812 in Dunfermline, Fife moved to Academy Street, Inverness, Scotland by 1842. Henry was a Mason in 1846 but by 1848 was a Road Inspector and by 1851 a Road Surveyor as well. By 1871 Henry was also an Architect and Builder of famous bridges and roads in Inverness Shire, Scotland. Inverness authorities say that he was a "talented man" and ... "must have been quite remarkable". Henry and some of his Architectural legacies are listed in the Scottish Dictionary of Architects (online). Henry Burrell married Marion Marshall in 1842 at Kinghorn, Fife and they had thirteen children.
Another brother Archibald Burrell (Birrell) born 1820 in Dunfermline a Coppersmith and Tinsmith married Elizabeth Telfer in 1843 in Lasswade, Edinburgh - they migrated to Chicago, Cook, Illinois in the United States c1856 - and some of their descendants eventually moved to Wyoming and Montana - they owned Coal mines, Brick works, made Building materials, owned Ranches and were even Politicans and Academics. The Burrell family in the US was joined in c1894 by one of their cousins - Andrew Birrel/Burrell a Joiner born in 1856 in Kilmallie, Argylle, Inverness, Inverness Shire, Scotland.
While Elizabeth's youngest brother James Burrell (Birrell) an Engineer, joined Elizabeth and her family in Melbourne - James migrated here in 1854 on the "Delgany" with his wife Christian (nee Birrell) and son Henry. At some stage Christian's father James Birrell also found his way to Melbourne - he was a Blacksmith in 1841 in Abbotshall, Fife a Grocer in 1852 in Fife - but died in 1881 in Hotham (North Melbourne) Victoria! [Submitted by Sally Douglas, firstname.lastname@example.org]
CLARK, Horace G.
For twenty years the subject of this brief review has been a well known carpenter and builder in Chanute. His advent to Neosho county dates from almost the period of its earliest settlement and for thirty years he has performed his part, first as farmer then as mechanic, in the improvement and development of the county. Mr. Clark was born in Cook county, Illinois, July 31, 1849. His parents were Thomas S. and Almanda (Ketchum) Clark, natives of Massachusetts and Vermont, respectively, Thomas S. Clark was a farmer in name but in reality was a handy man with tools in most any mechanical line. He was a character in his community, being conspicuous for his peace-making disposition. He was chosen justice of the peace and made a valuable officer in dispensing justice and equity among his turbulent neighbors. He resided at Elgin, Illinois, where he died and passed away in 1880 at the age of seventy-two years. He and his wife were identified with the Universalist church, the latter dying in 1895 at the age of eighty-one years. Our subject is the third child in his father's family of four. The first born, Anson L., M. D., is president of the Bennett Medical College, Chicago, and is one of the noted physicians and surgeons of Illinois. He stands second to none in his profession as a practitioner and his gentlemanly manners render him exceedingly popular wherever he is known. The second child, Arthur L. Clark, served in the 8th Illinois cavalry for two years and died in the hospital in Washington, D. C. After H. G. Clark, our subject, came Herbert T., purchasing agent for the Bullock Manufacturing Company, of Chicago. H. G. Clark was educated chiefly in Jennings Academy at Elgin, Illinois He taught eight terms of school and succeeded well as a teacher. In 1872 he came west and located upon a farm in Erie township, Neosho county. He stuck to the farm eight years and then took up carpenter work which he had learned while serving five years in a plaining [sic] mill in Elgin, Illinois. Since 1881 he has made his trade his chief means of subsistence, residing in Chanute since 1883. The Boschart & Williams drug house and the State Bank building are among his many good contracts. In municipal educational affairs Mr. Clark has had public duties to perform as a member of the school board of Chanute and as a councilman from his ward the business affairs of the city were, for a time, under his observation. In politics he is a Democrat, having cast his first presidential vote for Horace Greely [sic], after whom he was named Horace Greely Clark. November 4, 1874, Mr. Clark married Lena Clevenger a native of Illinois and a daughter of the late P. C. Clevenger who died December 17, 1900, at sixty-five years of age. Three children have been born to this worthy couple, viz., Esther, a stenographer and typewriter; Bessie, a high school senior, and Herbert. Mr. Clark is a prominent member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, has served his lodge as its Recorder ten years. He is a Modern Woodman and a Select Knight, of which order he has been Lieutenant Commander. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
Those who have resided within the confines of Mission and Ladore townships since the year 1867 will remember the advent to Neosho county, that year, of a settler from the west instead of from the east; one who, for two years, had been chiefly a wanderer on the coast of the Pacific and had acquired while there little beyond age and experience; this settler was the prominent and esteemed citizen of the township of Ladore. Edward Maher, whose name heads this brief review. Mr. Maher is a native of Illinois, being born in the county of Cook on the 11th of December, 1845. His father, Michael Maher, was one of the first men to become connected with the locality of what is now the City of Chicago, and he went there as a contractor on the canal from Joliet to Lake Michigan. Out of this transaction he became half owner of eighty acres of watery waste near the mouth of the Chicago river which was disposed of for a yoke of cattle and an old wagon, the owners never dreaming that the ingenuity and versatility of man would some day make it worth hundreds of millions of dollars, for it is now in the heart of the metropolis of the great lakes. Michael Maher was born in Vermont and was married to Anna Ryan, a lady of New York birth. They were the parents of seven children, and died, the father in Cook county, Illinois, at the age of forty-five and the mother at the age of seventy-two years. Their children were John, deceased; Edward; Stephen; Thomas; James; Dennis, deceased; Michael, and Maria, who married George Anderson.
Edward Maher was reared chiefly in Stephenson county, Illinois. The common and high schools of Stephenson county supplied him with a fair knowledge of English and enabled him to enter college at Cedarville about the outbreak of the civil war. The enthusiasm and excitement of the times were irresistable [sic] and he enlisted in April, 1862, in Company H, Sixty-seventh Illinois Infantry, served in the field twenty-two months and was discharged because of bodily infirmities. He experienced some of the real service of the war, having participated in battle at Belmont, Island No. 10, Helena and Vicksburg, receiving a wound in the ankle from a piece of shell at Helena. On his return from the army Mr. Maher was in such poor health that his physician recommended an overland trip to the Pacific coast as the only possible way of restoring his health, and even this offering but little hope. Accordingly the family which consisted of his widowed mother, himself and four brothers set out for California whither an older brother and sister had gone. The trip was made with wagons and teams at a time when the country was badly infested with Indians and this fact in connection with the hardships incident to the trip made the undertaking memorable in the experience of the family at least. They reached Sacramento county, California, in September, 1864, and during the next two years Mr. Maher was on the Pacific slope engaged in mining, trading and railroading; in the mean time also taking a trip through Mexico and Central America during which he visited most of the cities of importance in those countries, being then young, unmarried and in quest partly of adventure and partly of restoration of health. Leaving California he went to Idaho and from there, by wagon and team, to Kansas. He decided on Neosho county as his future home and located in Osage Mission where he established himself as a blacksmith. After some months he took the claim near Fort Roach, occupied it and engaged in both the blacksmith and butcher business for a time. Meeting an opportunity to sell his possessions to good advantage he entered another tract of the public domain four miles north of Parsons, which became the nucleus of his present home. His land was in the disputed strip, claimed by the railroad and their title disputed and the whole grant entered by settlers. To successfully carry on a legal contest with the railroad corporation the citizens organized themselves into a league and of this body our subject was a charter member. Of all the afflictions which beset the settlers of this historic strip - grasshoppers, flood and what not - this was by all odds the most expensive and annoying, but it terminated to the satisfaction of the settlers some twenty years since and all that now remains of it is its memory as one of the greatest land cases on record. The Maher homestead is one of the bright spots on the face of Ladore. It comprises four hundred and eighty acres hedged, cross-fenced, shaded with forest trees, and house and barns commensurate with the size and requirements of the estate. Recently each of his children has received from Mr. Maher eighty acres of his and his wife's accumulations, retaining for himself the prized spot upon which his settlement was made. The year he settled his present home Mr. Maher married - 1869 - Harriet Higginbotham, who was a native of the state of Illinois. She died on the 24th of May, 1896, leaving four children, viz., Frank, who married Rosa Hudson; John, who married Mollie Graves; and Edward and Anna, both single and at home. Mr. Maher married the second time on the 1st of September, 1898. His wife was Mrs. Mary Outland, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Dr. O. L. Peters, who came to Kansas in 1885, settled in Parsons and died there December 5, 1901, at sixty-nine years, his wife having passed away April 28, 1900, at the age of sixty-eight. Their five children were Mrs. Maher; Lizzie, wife of E. F. Swift: Evert H.; Wellington G., and Stella, who married F. B. Russell. Edward Maher has been one of the intensely active, sincere and earnest men of his county. As well as a large and successful farmer he has been an extensive stock feeder and shipper, has been called to fill every office of his township and his district chose him twice to represent them on the board of county commissioners in which capacity he served, in all, six years. His position in politics is well known, being, as he is, a leader in Republican political circles, but in nothing is he more highly regarded than as a citizen, neighbor and friend. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
R. N. Baylies located in Erie in 1868 as a member of the firm of Stillwell & Baylies, where he remained until the county seat was removed to Osage Mission. Becoming a citizen of that place in March, 1871, he, as a member of his firm, continued in the practice of law until 1876, when he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, where he served for a time as District Judge, removing next to Chicago, Ill. where he engaged in a street railway speculation which proved to be his financial making. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
©Illinois Genealogy Trails