Cook County, IL
Initially a part of Jefferson Township, this area was annexed to Chicago in 1889. It is located 10 miles NW of the Loop
Edgebrook - borders the neighborhood Sauganash. Edgebrook was once part of the Sauganash land tract and was annexed by the city of Chicago in 1889.
Sauganash - Sauganash was once part of the Sauganash land tract and was annexed by the city of Chicago in 1889. This neighborhood is named after Sauganash, a local Potawotomi leader in the 19th Century.
ORIGINAL SETTLERS/PROMINENT PEOPLE/IMPORTANT DATES:
Miami and Potawatomi Indians were the original settlers. The nearly two-and-one-half-square-mile area occupied by Sauganash and Edgebrook was once the preserve of Billy Caldwell, a colorful chief of the Potawatomi. Caldwell, whose Indian name was Sauganash (meaning Englishman), mediated the treaties between the Indians and the United States. In 1828, in recognition of his help, the federal government ceded Caldwell the tract of land.
Charles Hazelton founded the first church in the area.
Original immigrant residents to the area were mainly English and Swedish, followed in the 1920's by German, Czech, and Irish
[sources: Wikipedia.com and Encyclopedia of Chicago]
Back to the Main Index Page