History & Genealogy of
Lake
Presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails




"Lake township includes the southwest side of the city"
"South of the loop (south of the Bridgeport
neighborhood) and west of Hyde Park"

This is also referred to as the "town of Lake" in the 1880 census


History .....:

"Chicago’s municipal boundaries in 1853 were very modest. To the north, the boundary was Fullerton Avenue extending from Lake Michigan to Western Avenue, with North Avenue defining the northern-most boundary from Western Avenue to Crawford Avenue (now Pulaski). The southern boundary was designated at Egan Avenue (39th Street). These boundaries, generally, were in effect from until June 29, 1889 when the City of Chicago incorporated the townships of Lake, Hyde Park, Jefferson and Cicero." (source: http://www.gregoryology.com/Englewood.htm)

"In 1889, the city limits expanded south to 138th and State Street and to the west 87th and Cicero by incorporating the Town of Lake and the Village of Hyde Park. The same year, the City of Lake View and the Town of Jefferson were added, thus extending the northern city limits to Devon Avenue and the western boundary to as far as Harlem Avenue. With these additions, Chicago's population doubled to over a million residents in a ten year period. Only New York had more people." (source: http://www.gregoryology.com/Englewood.htm)



Census.....:

Click here for ED 195, page 1
Click here for ED 195, page 2
Click here for ED 195, page 3
Click here for ED 195, page 4
Click here for ED 196, page 1
Click here for ED 196, page 2
Click here for ED 197, page 1
Click here for ED 197, page 2
Click here for ED 198, page 1



Return to Illinois Genealogy Trails Cook County Index Page

©Genealogy Trails