History & Genealogy of
New Trier Township
Presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
Cities, Towns & Villages within New Trier Township:
- Villages of Glencoe, Kenilworth, Wilmette, Winnetka
CAPT. JOSEPH EDWARD SHANTZ, who in January, 1930, began his third term of duty as postmaster of Wilmette, a first class office,
has had many years of active association with the public life of his home city and of Cook County. He is a former
president of the Illinois Postmasters Association.
His military title is only a partial recognition of a long and interesting service as a soldier of the state and
nation. Captain Shantz was born in Philadelphia March 14, 1872, but is member of Wilmette's oldest families. His
uncle, Henry A. Dingee, was one of the very first settlers and founders of that village on the North Shore, locating
there in the 1860s. The Shantz family moved from Philadelphia to Wilmette in 1880. Captain Shantz's father was
Edward T. Shantz, who during the Civil war served as a Union soldier from Pennsylvania in the famous Baxter's Fire
Zouaves. Edward T. Shantz died in 1928.
Captain Shantz grew up at Wilmette, at tended public schools there, and almost continuously since 1899 has been
in some form of public service. He held responsible positions in the county treasurer's office, the county clerk's
office and in offices of the sanitary district. In 1922 he was appointed postmaster by President Harding, and has
held the office continuously, by reappointment of President Coolidge and also President Hoover.
Captain Shantz in early manhood joined the old Illinois National Guard. When the Spanish-American war came on in
April, 1898, he volunteered for duty in the United States Navy. He was on the U. S. S. Oregon under Captain Clarke,
a ship especially famous be cause of its earlier voyage around the Horn from the Pacific. The Oregon took part
in all the naval operations around Cuba, including the great naval battle off the Port of Santiago. After the Spanish-American
war Captain Shantz was an interested member for a number of years of the First Illinois Regiment (the "Dandy
First"). In 1916 when the National Guard was mustered into Federal service for duty on the Mexican border
he went with his regiment to Texas. Soon after his return he had an opportunity to continue his military career,
after America entered the World war. He was then past the draft age, but volunteered to go with his regiment. The
First Illinois became the One Hundred Thirty-first Infantry in the Thirty third Division. He went overseas with
this division in the spring of 1918. While in France he rose to the various ranks of corporal, second and first
lieutenant to the rank of captain. He was commissioned captain early in November, 1918, while on duty at the front.
Captain Shantz was decorated by two governments, receiving the Croix de Guerre from France and the Distinguished
Service Cross from the United States. The Distin guished Service Cross is a symbol of real and conspicuous valor.
The official citation accompanying the bestowal of the Distinguished Service Cross reads as follows: "Near
Consenvoye, France (Meuse-Argonne offensive), Oct. 13, 1918, Lieut. Joseph E. Shantz, One Hundred Thirty-first
Infantry, Thirty-third Division, although seriously wounded in the head by shrapnel, went forward to rectify the
position of our troops, who were occupying the ground on which a barrage was scheduled to fall. Through a perilous
fire he brought the line back to a new position."
Captain Shantz has also been prominent in the American Legion and in the social and civic life of his home community
REED G. LANDIS,
president of the Reed G. Landis Company, advertising, at 26 East Huron Street, Chicago, became famous during the
World war as one of America's Aces in aviation. Since his return to civilian life he has been a constant promoter
of aviation development, and among other important responsibilities he is now chairman of the Aeronautic Commission
for the State of Illinois.
Reed G. Landis was born at Ottawa, Illinois, July 17, 1896, son of Judge Kenesaw Mountain and Winifred (Reed) Landis.
Of his distinguished father a sketch appears on other pages of this publication.
Reed Gresham Landis attended grammar and high schools in Chicago and was a student at the University of Chicago
during 1916-17. He left university to go to the Mexican bord in 1916. In June, 1917, he joined the air service,
went overseas and was attached to the British Royal Air Forces with the Fortieth Squadron from August, 1917, until
September, 1918. While in England he took special work in Queen's College of Oxford University. I September, 1918,
Reed Landis was placed in command of the Twenty-fifth Aero Squadron of the United States Army and served in that
capacity until honorably discharged in Marc 1919, with the rank of major. Reed Land was credited with the destruction
of nine enemy airplanes and one balloon, and w awarded the British Distinguished Flying Cross.
Since the close of the war Mr. Landis has given his active attention to the advertising business and has built
up one of the important agencies in Chicago and the Middle West. He chief recreation since the war has been flying.
He is author of two books on aviation: "On the Roof of the War", published in 1919; and "Business
Future of Aviation", published in 192 Mr. Landis is a member of the Chicago Association of Commerce, the American
Legion Chicago Athletic Association, the Tavern Club, Skokie Country Club, Adventurers Club, L Shore Athletic Club
and Beta Theta Phi fraternity. His home is on Greenwood Avenue in Glencoe.
He married, September 20, 1919, Miss Marion Keehn, of Kenilworth, Illinois. They have three children, Nancy, Keehn
CHARLES A. KOEPKE
was engaged in the practice of his profession in an individual way, as a member of the bar of his native City of
Chicago during a period of more than thirty years, and his large and well ordered law business was confined largely
to real estate, probate, and chancery practice. His office was maintained at 77 West Washington Street, and his
home in the beautiful suburban City of Wilmette.
Mr. Koepke was born in Chicago, on the 18th of December, 1876, a son of Frank and Augusta (Kliehn) Koepke, his
father having long been a succeesful contractor and builder in Chicago, where he is now living retired, at the
venerable age of eighty-one years (1931). Frank O. Koepke, brother of the subject of this review, is established
as an attorney and mortgage banker in Chicago.
Charles A. Koepke continued his studies in the Chicago public schools until he had profited by the curriculum of
the high school, and in his youth he attended also a private German school. In preparation for his chosen profession
he completed a course in the law department of Northwestern University, in which he was graduated as a member of
the class of 1899, his admission to the bar having been virtually coincident with his recep tion of his degree
of Bachelor of Laws. Prior to his admission to the bar he had become associated, in 1895, with the law firm of
Pinckney & Tatge, and with this firm he continued his alliance until 1905, when he became junior member of
the firm of Tatge & Koepke. This partnership was continued until 1916, after which year Mr. Koepke conducted
his law business in an individual way. He was a member of the Chicago Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association
and the American Bar Association. Immediately following his graduation in law Mr. Koepke established a scholarship
in the law department of North western University, and maintained the same during his lifetime.
The political allegiance of Mr. Koepke was accorded to the Republican party, and his religious faith was that of
the Lutheran Church. In the Masonic fraternity he was a Knight Templar, a Noble of the Mystic Shrine and received
the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. He was a life member of the Hamilton Club of Chicago,
and president of the Keystone Trust & Savings Bank, 1925-27.
October 7, 1903, marked the marriage of Mr. Koepke to Miss Caroline G. Schmidt, of Chicago, and they had three
children: Louise A., Charles G. and Marie, but the last named died January 24, 1931.
Charles A. Koepke died at his home in Wilmette, Illinois, October 6, 1931.
("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV,
1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
ARTHUR E. ANDERSEN,
founder and senior partner of Arthur Andersen & Company, certified public accountants in the One North LaSalle
Street Building, and president of the hoard of trustees of Northwestern University, is a dynamic figure in the
great city where his business career began more than twenty years ago. However, his close friends estimate his
personal character and ability as of greater importance than his achievements and attainments.
Mr. Andersen was born at Plano, Illinois, May 30, 1885, son of John William and Mary (Aabye) Andersen. In life's
adventure Arthur Andersen has overcome many obstacles. The first of these was a comparatively frail constitution.
Though his mother died when he was fourteen years of age, she left him among other affectionate memories the words
which he has regarded as his chief formula to success, a Norwegian axiom meaning "Think Straight and Talk
Straight." One advantage he had was an unwavering resolution and definiteness of aim. In one of his talks
to young men in commercial life Mr. Andersen said: "One of the weaknesses of the average young man of today
is that he doesn't know what he wants to do and what he is suited for. It is extremely important for one to know
rather early what he is capable of doing. Every man cannot be a bank president, or a certified public accountant,
or an actor, or a writer, or a lawyer, or a doctor. He should early deter mine what he is suited for temperamentally,
what he wants to do above all else, and make that his objective. I was very fortunate in knowing exactly what I
wanted to do, what I was fitted for, and sticking to that objective in the face of many discouraging obstacles."
Public accounting was the goal Mr. Andersen set for himself while a boy. Thrown on his own resources at the age
of fourteen, he steadfastly worked to this end and in 1908, at the age of twenty-three, received his degree of
Certified Public Accountant from the University of Illinois, the youngest certified public accountant in the state.
On August 8, 1906, he had married Miss Emma Arnold, of Chicago. With a family to take care of, he re signed his
position as bookkeeper to accept a smaller salary with a firm of public accountants. From 1907 to 1911 he acted
as senior accountant for Price, Waterhouse & Company. He was comptroller of the Uihlein interests at Milwaukee
during 1911-12. In 1913 he bought a small accounting practice and since that date has been senior partner in Arthur
Andersen & Company, a firm which today has four hundred employees in its offices in eight principal cities,
and enjoys a position of leadership in its field and a reputation of unqualified integrity. It has attained not
only nation-wide scope, but also international connections.
The building up of this splendid business has constituted only part of his life work. Be ginning in 1909, he delivered
three lectures a week at the Northwestern University School of Commerce. He has been given the chief credit for
founding this school's accounting department. The Northwestern University School of Commerce has an unexcelled
position, and much of that reputation is due to Mr. Andersen. In 1917 he received the degree Bachelor of Business
Administration from the university. He held the chair of professor of accounting from 1912 to 1922. He is author
of Complete Accounting Course, published in 1917, and has frequently been a contributor to technical publications
of his profession. He has given liberally of his time as an active member of many civic committees.
Mr. Andersen is director of the State Bank & Trust Company of Evanston, director and member of the executive
committee of the Chicago Investors' Corporation, director of Commerce Clearing House, director of the United Charities
of Chicago, and is a trustee of "A Century of Progress." He is a member of the American Institute of
Accountants, Illinois Society of Certified Public Accountants, Society of Industrial Engineers, American Economic
Association and the United States Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of many clubs: Chicago, Mid-Day, Chicago
Athletic, University, Attic, Sky Line, Industrial and Commonwealth of Chicago, the University Club of Evanston
Bob-O-Link Golf Club of Highland Park, Sheridan Shore Yacht Club of Wilmette, Indian Hill Riding Club of Winnetka,
Milwaukee Club of Milwaukee, and the Broad Street Club of New York. Among recreations he lists motoring, golf and
boating, but doubtless due to his Norwegian ancestry he feels the tang of water in his blood and enjoys boating
He has been a loyal friend and alumnus of Northwestern University. He is a member of the board of governors of
the Northwestern University Foundation and in 1930 was elevated to the great responsibility of the presidency of
the board of trustees of the university.
Mr. Andersen and family recently moved to a beautiful home in the Indian Hill section of Winnetka, at 44 Locust
Road. He and his wife have three children: Mrs. Vilas Johnson, Arthur Arnold and Dorothy Emma.
Important Addresses .....
Wilmette Historical Museum
609 Ridge Road
Wilmette Public Library
1242 Wilmette Ave.,
Wilmette, Illinois 60091
(847)256-5025; TDD (847)256-6931
Return to the Main Index Page for Cook County