ILLINOIS RAILROADS IN 1901
Source: "HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS" © 1901
©Transcribed by Kim Torp
Besides being the chief port on the great lakes, Chicago ranks second to no other American city as a railway center. The old "Galena & Chicago Union," its first railroad, was operated in 1849, and within three years a substantial advance had been scored in the way of steam transportation. Since then the multiplication of railroad lines focusing in or passing through Chicago has been rapid and steady. In 1895 not less than thirty-eight distinct lines enter the city, although these are operated by only twenty-two companies. Some 2,600 miles of railroad track are laid within the city limits. The number of trains daily arriving and departing (suburban and freight included) is about 2,000. Intramural transportation is afforded by electric, steam, cable and horse-car lines. Four tunnels under the Chicago River and its branches, and numerous bridges connect the various divisions of the city.
CENTRAILIA & ALTAMONT RAILROAD (See Centralia & Chester Railroad)
CENTRALIA & CHESTER RAILORD - a railway line wholly within the State, extending from Salem, in Marion County, to Chester, on the Mississippi River (91.6) miles), with a lateral branch from Sparta to Roxborough (5 miles) and trackage facilities over the Illinois Central from the branch junction to Centralia (2.9 miles) - total 99.5 miles. The original line was chartered as the Centralia & Chester Railroad, in December, 1887, completed from Sparta to Coulterville in 1889, and consolidated the same year with the Sparta & Evansville and the Centralia & Altamont Railroads (projected); line completed from Centralia to Evansville early in 1894. The branch from Sparta to Rosborough was built in 1895, the section of the main line from Centralia to Salem (14.9 miles) in 1896, and that from Evansville to Chester (17.6 miles) in 1897-98. The road was placed in the hands of a receiver, June 7, 1897, and the expenditures for extension and equipment made under authority granted by the United Sstates Court for the issue of Receiver's certificates. The total capitalization is $2,374,841, of which $978,000 is in stocks and $948,000 in bonds.
CENTRAL MILITARY TRACT RAILROAD - (See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad)
CHAMPAIGN, HAVANA & WESTERN RAILROAD (See Illinois Central Railroad)
CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & NORTHERN RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Burlington Quincy Railroad.)
CHICAGO BURLINGTON & QUINCY RAILROAD (known as the "Burlington Route") is the parent organization of an extensive system which operates railroads in eleven Western and Northwestern States, furnishing connections from Chicago with Omaha, Denver, St. Paul and Minneapolis, St. Louis and Kansas City, Cheyenne (Wyo.), Billings (Mont.), Deadwood (So. Dak,), and intermediate points, and having connections by affiliated roads with the Pacific Coast. The main line extends from Chicago to Denver (Colo.), 1,025.41 miles. The mileage of the various branches and leased proprietary lines (1898) aggregates 4,627.06 miles. The Company uses 207.23 miles in conjunction with other roads, besides subsidiary standard-gauge lines controlled through the ownership of securities amounting to 1,440 miles more. In addition to these the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy controls 179 miles of narrow-gauge read. The whole number of miles of standard-gauge road operated by the Burlington system, and known as the Burlington Route, on June 30, 1899, is estimated at 7,419, of which 1,509 is in Illinois, all but 47 miles being owned by the Company. The system in Illinois connects many important commercial points, including Chicago; Aurora, Galesburg, Quincy, Peoria, Streator, Sterling, Mendota, Fulton, Lewistown, Rushville, Geneva, Keithsburg, Rock Island, Beardstown, Alton, etc. The entire capitalization of the line (including stock, bonds and floating debt) amounted, in 1898, to $234,884, 600, which was equivalent to about $33,000 per mile. The total earnings of the road in Illinois, during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1898, amounted to $8,724,997, and the total disbursements of the Company within the State, during the same period, to $7,469,456. Taxes paid in 1898, $377,968.
(HISTORY). The first section of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad was constructed under a charter granted, in 1849, to the Aurora Branch Railroad Company, the name being changed in 1852 to the Chicago & Aurora Railroad Company. The line was completed in 1853, from the junction with the old Galena & Chicago Union Railroad, 30 miles west of Chicago, to Aurora, later being extended to Mendota. In 1855 the name of the Company was changed by act of the Legislature to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. The section between Mendota and Galesburg (80 miles) was built under a charter granted in 1851 to the Central Military Tract Railroad Company, and completed in 1854. July 9, 1856, the two companies were consolidated under the name of the former. Previous to this consolidation the Company had extended aid to the Peoria & Oquawka Railroad (from Peoria to the Mississippi River, nearly opposite Burlington, Iowa), and to the Northern Cross Railroad from Quincy to Galesburg, both of which were completed in 1855 and operated by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. In 1857 the name of the Northern Cross was changed to the Quincy & Chicago Railroad. In 1860 the latter was sold under foreclosure to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and, in 1863, the Peoria & Oquawka was acquired in the same way-the former constituting the Quincy branch of the main line and the latter giving it its Burlington connection. Up to 1863, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy used the track of the Galena & Chicago Union railroad to enter the city of Chicago, but that year began the construction of its line from Aurora to Chicago, which was completed in 1864. In 1872 it acquired control, by perpetual lease, of the Burlington & Missouri River Road in Iowa, and, in 1880, extended this line into Nebraska, now reaching Billings, Mont., with a lateral branch to Deadwood, So. Dak. Other branches in Illinois, built or acquired by this corporation, include the Peoria & Hannibal; Carthage & BurIington; Quincy & Warsaw; Ottawa, Chicago & Fox River Valley; Quincy, Alton & St. Louis, and the St. Louis, Rock Island & Chicago. The Chicago, Burlington & Northern-known as the Northern Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy-is an important part of the system, furnishing a connection between St. Louis on the south and St. Paul and Minneapolis on the north, of which more than half of the distance of 583 miles between terminal points, is in Illinois. The latter division was originally chartered, Oct. 21, 1885, and constructed from Oregon, Ill., to St. Paul, Minn. (319 miles), and from Fulton to Savanna, Ill. (16.72 miles), and opened, Nov. 1, 1886. It was formally incorporated into the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy line in 1899. In June of the same year the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy also acquired by purchase the Keokuk & Western Railroad from Keokuk to Van Wert, Iowa (143 miles), and the Des Moines & Kansas City Railway, from Des Moines, Iowa, to Cainesville, Mo. (112 miles).
CHICAGO DANVILLE & VINCENNES RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Eastern Illinois railroad.)
CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY. The total mileage of this line, June 30, 1898, was 1,008 miles, of which 152.52 miles are operated and owned in Illinois. The line in this State extends west from Chicago to East Dubuque, the extreme terminal points being Chicago and Minneapolis in the Northwest, and Kansas City in the Southwest. It has several branches in Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota, and trackage arrangements with several lines, the most important being with the St. Paul & Northern Pacific (10.58 miles), completing the connection between St. Paul and Minneapolis; with the Illinois Central from East Dubuque to Portage (12.23 miles), and with the Chicago & Northern Pacific from Forest Home to the Grand Central Station in Chicago. The company's own track is single, of standard gauge, laid with sixty and seventy-five-pound steel rails. Grades and curvature are light, and the equipment well maintained. The outstanding capital stock (1898) was $52,019,054; total capitalization, including stock, bonds and miscellaneous indebtedness, $57,144,245. (HISTORY). The road was chartered, Jan. 5, 1892, under the laws of Illinois, for the purpose of reorganization of the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City Railway Company on a stock basis. During 1895, the De Kalb & Great Western Railroad (5.81 miles) was built from De Kalb to Sycamore as a feeder for this line.
CHICAGO, MADISON & NORTHERN RAILROAD, a line of railway 231.3 miles in length, 140 miles of which lie within Illinois. It is operated by the Illinois Central Railroad Company, and is known as its "Freeport Division." The par value of the capital stock outstanding is $50,000 and of bonds $2,500,000, while the floating debt is $3,620,698, making a total capitalization of $6,170,698, or $26,698 per mile. (See also Illinois Central Railroad.) This road was opened from Chicago to Freeport in 1888.
CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE & ST. PAUL RAILWAY, one of the great trunk lines of the North west, having a total mileage (1898) of 6,153.83 miles, of which 317.94 are in Illinois. The main line extends from Chicago to Minneapolis, 420 miles, although it has connections with Kansas City, Omaha, Sioux City and various points in Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company enjoys the distinction of being the owner of all the lines operated by it, though it operates 245 miles of second tracks owned jointly with other lines. The greater part of its track is laid with 60, 75 and 85-lb. steel rails. The total capital invested (1898) is $220,005,901, distributed as follows: capital stock, $77,845,000; bonded debt, $135,285,500; other forms of indebtedness, $5,572,401, Its total earnings in Illinois for 1898 were $5,205,244, and the total expenditures, $3,320,248. The total number of employees in Illinois for 1898 was 2,293, receiving $1, 746,827.70 in aggregate compensation. Taxes paid for the same year amounted to $151,285.- (HISTORY). The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway was organized in 1863 under the name of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. The Illinois portion of the main line was built under a charter granted to the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company, and the Wisconsin portion under charter to the Wisconsin Union railroad Company; the whole built and opened in 1872 and purchased by the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company. It subsequently acquired by purchase several lines in Wisconsin, the whole receiving the present name of the line by act of the Wisconsin Legislature, passed, Feb. 14, 1874. The Chicago & Evanston Railroad was chartered, Feb. 16, 1861, built from Chicago to Calvary (10.8 miles), and opened, May 1, 1885; was consolidated with the Chicago & Lake Superior Railroad, under the title of the Chicago, Evanston & Lake Superior Railroad Company, Dec. 22, 1885, opened to Evanston, August 1, 1886, and purchased, in June, 1887, by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company. The Road, as now organized, is made up of twenty-two divisions located in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Missouri and Michigan.
CHICAGO PADUCAH & MEMPHIS RAILROAD (Projected), a road chartered, Dec. 19, 1893, to run between Altamont and Metropolis, Ill., 152 miles, with a branch from Johnston City to Carbondale, 20 miles-total length, 172 miles. The gauge is standard, and the track laid with sixty-pound steel rails. By Feb. 1, 1895, the road from Altamont to Marion (100 miles) was completed, and work on the remainder of the line has been in progress. It is intended to connect with the Wabash and the St. Louis Southern systems. Capital stock authorized and subscribed, $2, 500,-000; bonds issued, $1,575,000. Funded debt, authorized, $15,000 per mile in five per cent first mortgage gold bonds. Cost of road up to Feb. 1, 1895, $20,000 per mile; estimated cost of the entire line, $2,000,000. In December, 1896, this road passed into the hands of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Company, and is now operated to Marion, in Williamson County (See Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad.)
CHICAGO, PEKIN & SOUTHWESTERN RAILROAD, a division of the Chicago & Alton Railroad, chartered as the Chicago & Plainfield Railroad, in 1859; opened from Pekin to Streator in 1878, and to Mazon Bridge in 1876; sold under foreclosure in 1879, and now constitutes a part of the Chicago & Alton system.
CHICAGO, PEORIA & ST. LOUIS RAILROAD COMPANY NY (of Illinois), a corporation operating two lines of railroad, one extending from Peoria to Jacksonville, and the other from Peoria to Springfield, with a connection from the latter place (in 1895), over a leased line, with St. Louis. The total mileage, as officially reported in 1895, was 208.66 miles, of which 166 were owned by the corporation. (1) The original of the Jacksonville Division of this line was the Illinois River Railroad, opened from Pekin to Virginia in 1859. In October, 1863, it was sold under foreclosure, and, early in 1864, was transferred by the purchasers to a new corporation called the Peoria, Pekin & Jacksonville Railroad Company, by whom it was extended the same year to Peoria, and, in 1869, to Jacksonville. Another fore closure, in 1879, resulted in its sale to the creditors, followed by consolidation, in 1881, with the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway. (2) The Springfield Division was incorporated in 1869 as the Springfield & Northwestern Railway; construction was begun in 1872, and road opened from Springfield to Havana (45.20 miles) in December, 1874, and from Havana to Pekin and Peoria over the track of the Peoria, Pekin & Jacksonville line. The same year the road was leased to the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western Railroad Company, but the lease was forfeited, in 1875, and the road placed in the hands of a receiver. In 1881, together with the Jacksonville Division, it was transferred to the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, and by that company operated as the Peoria & Springfield Railroad. The Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific having defaulted and gone into the hands of a receiver, both the Jacksonville and the Springfield Divisions were reorganized in February, 1887, under the name of the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad, and placed under control of the Jacksonville Southeastern Railroad. A reorganization of the latter took place, in 1890, under the name of the Jacksonville, Louisville & St. Louis Railway, and, in 1893, it passed into the hands of receivers, and was severed from its allied lines. The Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad remained under the management of a separate receiver until January, 1896, when a reorganization was effected under its present name - "The Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad of Illinois." The lease of the Springfield & St. Louis Division having expired in December, 1895, it has also been reorganized as an independent corporation under the name of the St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway (which see).
CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND & PACIFIC RAILWAY, formed by the consolidation of various lines in 1880. The parent corporation (The Chicago & Rock Island Railroad) was chartered in Illinois in 1851, and the road opened from Chicago to the Mississippi River at Rock Island (181 miles), July 10, 1854. In 1852 a company was chartered under the name of the Mississippi Missouri Railroad for the extension of the road from the Mississippi to the Missouri River. The two roads were consolidated in 1866 as the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, and the extension to the Missouri River and a junction with the Union Pacific completed in 1869. The Peoria & Bureau Valley Railroad (an important feeder from Peoria to Bureau Junction 46.7 miles) was incorporated in 1853, and completed and leased in perpetuity to the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, in 1854. The St. Joseph & Iowa Railroad was purchased in 1889, and the Kansas City & Topeka Railway in 1891. The Company has financial and traffic agreements with the Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Railway, extending from Terral Station. Indian Territory, to Fort Worth, Texas. The road also has connections from Chicago with Peoria; St. Paul and Minneapolis; Omaha and Lincoln (Neb.); Denver. Colorado Springs and Pueblo (Colo.), besides various points in South Dakota, Iowa and Southwestern Kansas. The extent of the lines owned and operated by the Company ("Poor's Manual," 1898), is 3,568.15 miles, of which 236.51 miles are in Illinois, 189.52 miles being owned by the corporation. All of the Company's owned and leased lines are laid with steel rails. The total capitalization reported for the same year was $116,748,211, of which $50,000,000 was in stock and $58,830,000 in bonds. The total earnings and income of the line in Illinois, for the year ending June 30, 1898, was $5,851,875, and the total expenses $3,401,165, of which $233,129 was in the form of taxes. The Company has received under Congressional grants 550,194 acres of land, exclusive of State grants, of which there had been sold, up to March 31, 1894,548,609 acres.
CHICAGO, ST. PAUL & FOND DU LAO RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Northwestern Railway.)
CHICAGO, ST. PAUL & KANSAS CITY railway. (See Chicago Great Western Railway.)
CHICAGO, ST. LOUIS & PADUCAH RAILWAY, a short road, of standard gauge, laid with steel rails, extending from Marion to Brooklyn, Ill., 53.64 miles. It was chartered, Feb. 7, 1887, and opened for traffic, Jan. 1, 1889. The St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad Company is the lessee, having guaranteed principal and interest on its first mortgage bonds. Its capital stock is $1,000,000, and its bonded debt $2,000,000, making the total capitalization about $56,000 per mile. The cost of the road was $2,950,000; total incumbrance (1895), $3,016,715.
CHICAGO TERMINAL TRANSFER RAILROAD, the successor to the Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad. The latter was organized in November, 1889, to acquire and lease facilities to other roads and transact a local business. The Road under its new name was chartered, June 4, 1897, to purchase at foreclosure sale the property of the Chicago & Northern Pacific, soon after acquiring the property of the Chicago & Calumet Terminal Railway also. The combination gives it the control of 84.53 miles of road, of which 70.76 miles are in Illinois. The line is used for both passenger and freight terminal purposes, and also a belt line just outside the city limits. Its principal tenants are the Chicago Great Western, the Baltimore & Ohio, the Wisconsin Central Lines, and the Chicago, Hammond & Western Railroad. The Company also has control of the ground on which the Grand Central Depot is located. Its total capitalization (1898) was $44,-553,044, of which $30,000,000 was capital stock and $13,394,000 in the form of bonds.
CHICAGO & ALTON RAILROAD, an important railway running in a southwesterly direction from Chicago to St. Louis, with numerous branches, extending into Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. The Chicago & Alton Railroad proper was constructed under two charters - the first granted to the Alton & Sangamon Railroad Company, in 1847, and the second to the Chicago & Mississippi Railroad Company, in 1852. Construction of the former was begun in 1852, and the line opened from Alton to Springfield in 1853. Under the second corporation, the line was opened from Springfield to Bloomington in 1854, -and to Joliet in 1856. In 1855 a line was constructed from Chicago to Joliet under the name of the Joliet & Chicago Railroad, and leased in perpetuity to the present Company, which was reorganized in 1857 under the name of the St. Louis, Alton & Chicago Railroad Company. For some time connection was had between Alton and St. Louis by steam-packet boats running in connection with the railroad; but later over the line of the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad- the first railway line connecting the two cities- and, finally, by the Company's own line, which was constructed in 1864, and formally opened Jan. 1, 1865. In 1861, a company with the present name (Chicago & Alton Railroad Company) was organized, which, in 1862, purchased the St. Louis, Alton & Chicago Road at foreclosure sale. Several branch lines have since been acquired by purchase or lease, the most important in the State being the line from Bloomington to St. Louis by way of Jacksonville. This was chartered in 1851 under the name of the St. Louis, Jacksonville & Chicago Railroad, was opened for business in January, 1868, and having been diverted from the route upon which it was originally projected, was completed to Blooming ton and leased to the Chicago & Alton in 1868. In 1884 this branch was absorbed by the main line. Other important branches are the Kansas City Branch from Roodhouse, crossing the Mississippi at Louisiana, Mo.; the Washington Branch from Dwight to Washington and Lacon, and the Chicago & Peoria, by which entrance is obtained into the city of Peoria over the tracks of the Toledo, Peoria & Western. The whole number of miles operated (1898) is 843.54, of which 580.73 lie in Illinois. Including double tracks and sidings, the Company has a total trackage of 1,186 miles. The total capitalization, in 1898, was $32,793,972, of which $22,230,600 was in stock, and $6,694,850 in bonds. The total earnings and income for the year. in Illinois, were $5,022,315, and the operating and other expenses, $4,272,207. This road, under its management as it existed up to 1898, has been one of the most uniformly successful in the country. Dividends have been paid semiannually from 1863 to 1884, and quarterly from 1884 to 1896. For a number of years previous to 1897, the dividends had amounted to eight per cent per annum on both preferred and common stock, but later had been reduced to seven per cent on account of short crops along the line. The taxes paid in 1898 were $341,040. The surplus, June 30, 1895, exceeded two and three-quarter million dollars. The Chicago & Alton was the first line in the world to put into service sleeping and dining cars of the Pullman model, which have since been so widely adopted, as well as the first to run free reclining chair-cars for the convenience and comfort of its passengers. At the time the matter embraced in this volume is undergoing final revision (1899), negotiations are in progress for the purchase of this historic line by a syndicate representing the Baltimore & Ohio, the Missouri Pacific, the Union Pacific, and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas systems, in whose interest it will hereafter be operated.
CHICAGO & AURORA RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)
CHICAGO & EASTERN ILLINOIS RAILROAD. This company operates a line 516.3 miles in length, of which 278 miles are within Illinois. The main line in this State extends southerly from Dolton Junction (17 miles south of Chicago) to Danville. Entrance to the Polk Street Depot in Chicago is secured over the tracks of the Western Indiana Railroad. The company owns several important branch lines, as follows: From Momence Junction to the Indiana State Line; from Cissna Junction to Cissna Park; from Danville Junction to Shelbyville, and from Sidell to Rossville. The system in Illinois is of standard gauge, about 108 miles being double track. The right of way is 100 feet wide and well fenced. The grades are light, and the construction (including rails, ties, ballast and bridges), is generally excellent. The capital stock outstanding (1893) is $13,594,400; funded debt, $18,018,000; floating debt, $916,381; total capital invested, $32,570,781; total earnings in Illinois, $2,592,072; expenditures in the State, $2,595,631. The company paid the same year a dividend of six per cent on its common stock ($286,914), and reported a surplus of $1,484,762. The Chicago & Eastern Illinois was originally chartered in 1865 as the Chicago, Danville & Vincennes Railroad, its main line being completed in 1872. In 1873, it defaulted on interest, was sold under foreclosure in 1877, and reorganized as the Chicago & Nashville, but later in same year took its present name. In 1894 it was consolidated with the Chicago & Indiana Coal Railway. Two spurs (5.27 miles in length) were added to the line in 1895. Early in 1897 this line obtained control of the Chicago, Paducah & Memphis Railroad, which is now operated to Marion, in Williamson County. (See Chicago, Paducah & Memphis Railroad.)
CHICAGO & GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY. Of the 335.27 miles of the Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad, only 30.65 are in Illinois, and of the latter 9.7 miles are operated under lease. That portion of the line within the State extends from Chicago easterly to the Indiana State line. The Company is also lessee of the Grand Junction Railroad, four miles in length. The Road is capitalized at $6,600,000, has a bonded debt of $12,000,000 and a floating debt (1895) of $2,271,425, making the total capital invested, $20,871,425. The total earnings in Illinois for 1895 amounted to $660,393; disbursements within the State for the same period, $345, 233. The Chicago & Grand Trunk Railway, as now constituted, is a consolidation of various lines between Port Huron, Mich., and Chicago, operated in the interest of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada. The Illinois section was built under a charter granted in 1878 to the Chicago & State Line Railway Company, to form a connection with Valparaiso, Ind. This corporation acquired the Chicago & Southern Railroad (from Chicago to Dolton), and the Chicago & State Line Extension in Indiana, being consolidated under the name of the Northwestern Grand Trunk Railroad. In 1880, a final consolidation of these lines with the eastward connections took place under the present name- the Chicago & Grand Trunk Railway.
CHICAGO & GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY. (See Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway.)
CHICAGO & GREAT SOUTHERN RAILROAD. (See Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway.)
CHICAGO & ILLINOIS SOUTHERN RAILWAY. (See Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway.)
CHICAGO & MISSISSIPPI RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Alton Railroad.)
CHICAGO & NASHVILLE RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad.)
CHICAGO & NORTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD. (See Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad.)
CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY,one of the great trunk lines of the country, penetrating the States of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota and North and South Dakota. The total length of its main line, branches, proprietary and operated lines, on May 1, 1899, was 5,076.89 miles, of which 594 miles are operated in Illinois, all owned by the company. Second and side tracks increase the mileage to a total of 7,217.91 miles. The Chicago & Northwestern Railway (proper) is operated in nine separate divisions, as follows: The Wisconsin, Galena, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Madison, Peninsula, Winona and St. Peter, Dakota and Ashland Divisions The principal or main lines of the "Northwestern System," in its entirety, are those which have Chicago, Omaha, St. Paul and Minneapolis for their termini, though their branches reach numerous important points within the States already named, from the shore of Lake Michigan on the east to Wyoming on the west, and from Kansas on the south to Lake Superior on the north.
(HISTORY.) The Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company was organized in 1859 under charters granted by the Legislatures of Illinois and Wisconsin during that year, under which the new company came into possession of the rights and franchises of the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad Company. The latter road was the outgrowth of various railway enterprises which had been projected, chartered and partly constructed in Wisconsin and Illinois, between 1848 and 1855, including, the Madison & Beloit Railroad, the Rock River Valley Union Railroad, and the Illinois & Wisconsin Railroad-the last named company being chartered by the Illinois Legislature in 1851, and authorized to build a railroad from Chicago to the Wisconsin line. The Wisconsin Legislature of 1855 authorized the consolidation of the Rock River Valley Union Railroad with the Illinois enterprise, and, in March, 1855, the consolidation of these lines was perfected under the name of the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lao Railroad. During the first four years of its existence this company built 176 miles of the road, of which seventy miles were between Chicago and the Wisconsin State line, with the sections constructed in Wisconsin completing the connection between Chicago and Fond du Lac. As the result of the financial revulsion of 1857, the corporation became financially embarrassed, and the sale of its property and franchises under the foreclosure of 1859, already alluded to, followed. This marked the beginning of the present corporation, and, in the next few years, by the construction of new lines and the purchase of others in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, it added largely to the extent of its lines, both constructed and projected. The most important of these was the union effected with the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad, which was formally consolidated with the Chicago & Northwestern in 1864. The history of the Galena & Chicago Union is interesting in view of the fact that it was one of the earliest railroads incorporated in Illinois, having been chartered by special act of the Legislature during the "internal improvement" excitement of 1836. Besides, its charter was the only one of that period under which an organization was effected, and although construction was not begun under it until 1847 (eleven years afterward), it was the second railroad constructed in the State and the first leading from the city of Chicago. In the forty years of its history the growth of the Chicago & Northwestern has been steady, and its success almost phenomenal. In that time it has not only added largely to its mileage by the construction of new lines, but has absorbed more lines than almost any other road in the country, until it now reaches almost every important city in the Northwest. Among the lines in Northern Illinois now constituting a part of it, were several which had become a part of the Galena & Chicago Union before the consolidation. These included a line from Belvidere to Beloit, Wis.; the Fox River Valley Railroad, and the St. Charles & Mississippi Air Line Railroad-all Illinois enterprises, and more or less closely connected with the development of the State. The total capitalization of the line, on June 30, 1898, was $200,968,108, of which $66,408,821 was capital stock and $101,603,000 in the form of bonds. The earnings in the State of Illinois, for the same period, aggregated $4,374,923, and the expenditures $3,712,593. At the present time (1899) the Chicago & Northwestern is building eight or ten branch lines in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota. The Northwestern System, as such, comprises nearly 3,000 miles of road not included in the preceding statements of mileage and financial condition. Although owned by the Chicago & Northwestern Company, they are managed by different officers and under other names. The mileage of the whole system covers nearly 8,000 miles of main line.
CHICAGO & SPRINGFIELD RAILROAD. (See Illinois Central Railroad.)
CHICAGO & TEXAS RAILROAD, a line seventy-three miles in length, extending from Johnston City by way of Carbondale westerly to the Mississippi, thence southerly to Cape Girardeau. The line was originally operated by two companies, under the names of the Grand Tower & Carbondale and the Grand Tower & Cape Girardeau Railroad Companies. The former was chartered in 1882, and the road built in 1885; the latter, chartered in 1889 and the line opened the same year. They were consolidated in 1893, and operated under the name of the Chicago & Texas Railroad Company. In October, 1897, the last named line was transferred, under a twenty-five year lease, to the Illinois Central Railroad Company, by whom it is operated as its St. Louis & Cape Girardeau division.
CHICAGO & WESTERN INDIANA RAILROAD. The main line of this road extends from Chicago to Dolton, Ill. (17 miles), and affords terminal facilities for all lines entering the Polk St. Depot at Chicago. It has branches to Hammond, Ind. (10.28 miles); to Cragin (15.9 miles), and to South Chicago (5.41 miles); making the direct mileage of its branches 48.59 miles. In addition, its second, third and fourth tracks and sidings increase the mileage to 204.79 miles. The company was organized June 9, 1879; the road opened in 1880, and, on Jan. 26, 1882, consolidated with the South Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Company, and the Chicago & Western Indiana Belt Railway. It also owns some 850 acres in fee in Chicago, including wharf property on the Chicago River, right of way, switch and transfer yards, depots, the Indiana grain elevator, etc. he elevator and the Belt Division are leased to the Belt Railway Company of Chicago, and the rest of the property is leased conjointly by the Chicago & Eastern Illinois, the Chicago & Grand Trunk, the Chicago & Erie, the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago, and the Wabash Railways of which owns $1,000,000 of the capital oak), and by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. These companies pay the expense of operation and maintenance on a mileage basis.
CHICAGO & WISCONSIN RAILROAD. (See Wisconsin Central Lines.)
DANVILLE, OLNEY & OHIO RIVER RAILROAD (See Chicago & Ohio River Railroad)
DANVILLE, URBANA, BLOOMINGTON & PEKIN RAILROAD (See Peoria & Eastern Railroad)
DECATUR, MATTOON & SOUTHERN RAILROAD (See Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway)
DECATUR, SULLIVAN & MATTOON RAILROAD (See Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway)
DEKALB & GREAT WESTERN RAILROAD - (See Chicago Great Western Railway)
ELGIN, JOLIET & EASTERN RAILWAY - The main line of this road extends west from Dyer on the Indiana State line to Joliet, thence northeast to Waukegan. The total length of the line (1898) is 192.72 miles, of which 159.93 miles are in Illinois. The entire capital of the company, including stock and indebtedness, amounted (1898) to $13,799,630 - more than $71,000 per mile. Its total earnings in Illinois for the same year were $1,212,026, and its entire expenditure in the State $1,156,146. The company paid in taxes, the same year, $48,876. Branch lines extend southerly from Walker Junction to Coster, where connection is made with the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, and northwesterly from Normantown, on the main line, to Aurora.
(HISTORY) The Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway was chartered in1887 and absorbed the Joliet, Aurora & Northern Railway, from Joliet to Aurora (21 miles), which had been commenced in 1886 and was completed in 1888, with extensions from Joliet to Spaulding, Ill., and from Joliet to McCool, Ind. In January, 1891, the company purchased all the properties and franchises of the Gardner, Coal City & Normantown and the Waukegan & Southwestern Railway Companies (formerly operated under lease). The former of these two raods was chartered in 1889 and opened in 1890. The system forms a belt line around Chicago, intersecting all railroads entering that city from every direction. Its traffic is chiefly in the transcportation of freight.
FULTON COUNTY NARROW-GAUGE RAILROAD - a line extending from the west bank of the Illinois River, opposite Havana, to Galesburg, 61 miles. It is a single-track, narrow-gauge (3-foot) road, although the excavations and embankments are being widened to accommodate a track of standard gauge. The grades are few, and, as a rule, are light, although, in one instance, the gradient is 84 feet to the mile. There are more than 19 miles of curves, the maximum being 16 degrees. The rails are of iron, 35 pounds to the yard, road not ballasted. Capital stock outstanding (1895), $636,794; bonded debt, $484,000; miscellaneous obligations, $462,362; total capitalization $1,583,156. The line from Havana to Fairview (31 miles) was chartered in 1878 and opened in 1880 and the extension from Fairview to Galesburg chartered in 1881 and opened in 1882.
GALENA & CHICAGO UNION RAILROAD ( See Chicago & Northwestern Railway)
GILMAN, CLINTON & SPRINGFIELD RAILROAD - (See Illinois Central Railroad)
GRAND TOWER & CAPE GIRARDEAU RAILROAD - (See Chicago & Texas Railroad)
GRAND TOWER & CARBONDALE RAILROAD - (See Chicago & Texas Railroad)
GRAYVILLE & MATTOON RAILROAD - (See Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway)
GREAT WESTERN RAILROAD (of 1843 and '49 - See Illinois Central Railroad)
HAVANA, RANTOUL & EASTERN RAILROAD (See Illinois Central Railroad)
ILLINOIS CENTRAL RAILROAD, a corporation controlling the principal line of railroad extending through the entire length of the State from north to south, besides numerous side branches acquired by lease during the past few years. The main lines are made up of three general divisions, extending from Chicago to Cairo, Ill. (364.73 miles); from Centralia to Dubuque, Iowa, (340.77 miles), and from Cairo to New Orleans, La. (547.79 miles)-making a total of 1,253.29 miles of main line, of which 705.5 miles are in Illinois. Besides this the company controls, through lease and stock ownership, a large number of lateral branches which are operated by the company, making the total mileage officially reported up to June 30, 1898, 3,130.21 miles.
(HISTORY.) The Illinois Central Railroad is not only one of the lines earliest projected in the history of the state, but has been most intimately connected with its development. The project of a road starting from the mouth of the Ohio and extending northward through the State is said to have been suggested by Lieut. -Gov. Alexander M. Jenkins as early as 1832; was advocated by the late Judge Sidney Breese and others in 1835 under the name of the Wabash & Mississippi Railroad, and took the form of a charter granted by the Legislature in January, 1836, to the first "Illinois Central Railroad Company," to construct a road from Cairo to a point near the southern terminus of the Illinois & Michigan Canal. Nothing was done under this act, although an organization was effected, with Governor Jenkins as President of the Company. The Company surrendered its charter the next year and the work was undertaken by the State, under the internal improvement act of 1837, and considerable money expended without completing any portion of the line. The State having abandoned the enterprise, the Legislature, in 1843, incorporated the "Great Western Railway Company" under what came to be known as the "Holbrook charter," to be organized under the auspices of the Cairo City & Canal Company, the line to connect the termini named in the charter of 1836, via Vandalia, Shelbyville, Decatur and Bloomington. Considerable money was expended under this charter, but the scheme again failed of completion, and the act was repealed in 1845. A charter under the same name, with some modification as to organization, was renewed in 1849.-In January, 1850, Senator Douglas introduced a bill in the United States Senate making a grant to the State of Illinois of .alternate sections of land along the line of a proposed road extending from Cairo to Duluth in the northwest corner of the State, with a branch to Chicago, which bill passed the Senate in May of the same year and the House in September, and became the basis of the Illinois Central Rail road Company as it exists to-day. Previous to the passage of this act, however, the Cairo City & Canal Company had been induced to execute a full surrender to the State of its rights and privileges under the "Holbrook charter." This was followed in February, 1851, by the act of the Legislature incorporating the Illinois Central Railroad Company, and assigning thereto (under specified conditions) the grant of lands received from the General Government. This grant covered alternate sections within six miles of the line, or the equivalent thereof (when such lands were not vacant), to be placed on lands within fifteen miles of the line. The number of acres thus assigned to the Company was 2,595,000, (about 3,840 acres per mile), which were conveyed to Trustees as security for the performance of the work. An engineering party, organized at Chicago, May 21, 1851, began the preliminary survey of the Chicago branch, and before the end of the year the whole line was surveyed and staked out The first contract for grading was let on March 15, 1852, being for that portion between Chicago and Kensington (then known as Calumet), 14 miles. This was opened for traffic, May 24, 1852, and over it the Michigan Central, which had been in course of construction from the east, obtained trackage rights to enter Chicago. Later, contracts were let for other sections, some of them in June, and the last on Oct. 14, 1852. In May, 1853, the section from La Salle to Bloomington (61 miles) was completed and opened for business, a temporary bridge being constructed over the Illinois near La Salle, and cars hauled to the top of the bluff with chains and cable by means of a stationary engine. In July, 1854, the Chicago Division was put in operation to Urbana, 128 miles; the main line from Cairo to La Salle (301 miles), completed Jan. 8, 1855, and the line from La Salle to Duluth (now East Dubuque), 146.73 miles, on June 12, 1855-the entire road (705.5 miles) being completed, Sept. 27, 1856.
(FINANCIAL STATEMENT.) The share capital of the road was originally fixed at $17,000,000, but previous to 1869 it had been increased to $25,500,000, and during 1873-74 to $29, 000,000. The present capitalization (1898) is $163,352,593, of which $59,500,000 is in stock, $52,680,925 in bonds, and $51,367,000 in miscellaneous obligations. The total cost of the road in Illinois, as shown by a report made in 1889, was $35,110,609. By the terms of its charter the corporation is exempt from taxation, but in lieu thereof is required to pay into the State treasury, semi-annually, seven per cent upon the gross earnings of the line in Illinois. The sum thus paid into the State treasury from Oct. 31, 1855, when the first payment of $29,751.59 was made, up to and including Oct. 31, 1898, aggregated $17,315,193.24. The last payment (October, 1898), amounted to $334,527.01. The largest payment in the history of the road was that of October, 1893, amounting, for the preceding six months, to $450,176.34. The net income of the main line in Illinois, for the year ending June 30, 1898, was $12,299,021, and the total expenditures within the State $12,831,161.-
(LEASED LINES.) The first addition to the Illinois Central System was made in 1867 in the acquisition, by lease, of the Dubuque & Sioux City Railroad, extending from Dubuque to Sioux Falls, Iowa. Since then it has extended its Iowa connections, by the construction of new lines and the acquisition or extension of others. The most important addition to the line outside of the State of Illinois was an arrangement effected, in 1872, with the New Orleans, Jackson Great Northern, and the Mississippi Central Rail roads-with which it previously had traffic connections-giving it control of a line from Jackson, Tenn., to New Orleans, La. At first, connection was had between the Illinois Central at Cairo and the Southern Divisions of the system, by means of transfer steamers, but subsequently the gap was filled in and the through line opened to traffic in December, 1873. In 1874 the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern and the Mississippi Central roads were consolidated under the title of the New Orleans, St. Louis &Chicago Railroad, but the new corporation defaulted on its interest in 1876. The Illinois Central, which was the owner of a majority of the bonds of the constituent lines which went to make up the New Orleans, St. Louis & Chicago Railroad, then acquired ownership of the whole line by foreclosure proceedings in 1877, and it was reorganized, on Jan. 1, 1878, under the name of the Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans Railroad, and placed in charge of one of the Vice-Presidents of the Illinois Central Company.
(ILLINOIS BRANCHES.) The more important branches of the Illinois Central within the State include: (1) The Springfield Division from Chicago to Springfield (111.47 miles), chartered in 1867, and opened in 1871 as the Gilman, Clinton & Springfield Railroad; passed into the hands of a receiver in 1873, sold under foreclosure in 1876, and leased, in 1878, for fifty years, to the Illinois Central Railroad: (2) The Rantoul Division from Leroy to the Indiana State line (66.21 miles in Illinois), chartered in 1876 as the Havana, Rantoul & Eastern Railroad, built as a narrow-gauge line and operated in 1881; afterwards changed to standard-gauge, and controlled by the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific until May, 1884, when it passed into the hands of a receiver; in December of the same year taken in charge by the bondholders; in 1885 again placed in the hands of a receiver, and, in October, 1886, sold to the Illinois Central: (3) The Chicago, Havana & Western Railroad, from Havana to Champaign, with a branch from White-heath to Decatur (total, 131.62 miles), constructed as the western extension of the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western, and opened in 1873; sold under foreclosure in 1879 and organized as the Champaign, Havana & Western; in 1880 purchased by the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific; in 1884 taken possession of by the mortgage trustees and, in September, 1886, sold under foreclosure to the Illinois Central Railroad: (4) The Freeport Division, from Chicago by way of Freeport to Madison, Wis. (140 miles in Illinois), constructed under a charter granted to the Chicago, Madison & Northern Railroad (which see), opened for traffic in 1888, and transferred to the Illinois Central Railroad Company in January, 1889: (5) The Kankakee & Southwestern (131.26 miles), constructed from Kankakee to Bloomington under the charters of the Kankakee & Western and the Kankakee & Southwestern Railroads; acquired by the Illinois Central in 1878, begun in 1880, and extended to Bloomington in 1883: and (6) The St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute (which see under its old name). Other Illinois branch lines of less importance embrace the Blue Island; the Chicago & Texas; the Mound City; the South Chicago; the St. Louis, Belleville & Southern, and the St. Charles Air-Line, which furnishes an entrance to the City of Chicago over an elevated track. The total length of these Illinois branches in 1898 was 919.72 miles, with the main lines making the total mileage of the company within the State 1,624.22 miles. For several years up to 1895 the Illinois Central had a connection with St. Louis over the line of the Terre Haute & Indianapolis from Effingham, but this is now secured by way of the Springfield Division and the main line to Pana, whence its trains pass over the old Indianapolis & St. Louis-now the Cleve land, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway. Between June 30, 1897 and April 30, 1898, branch lines in the Southern States (chiefly in Kentucky and Tennessee), to the extent of 670 miles, were added to the Illinois Central System. The Cairo Bridge, constructed across the Ohio River near its mouth, at a cost of $3,000,000, for the purpose of connecting the Northern and Southern Divisions of the Illinois Central System, and one of the most stupendous structures of its kind in the world, belongs wholly to the Illinois Central Railroad Company.
PEORIA, ATLANTA & DECATUR RAILROAD. (See Terre Haute & Peoria Railroad.)
PEORIA, DECATUR & EVANSVILLE RAILWAY. The total length of this line, extending from Peoria, Ill., to EvansviIle Ind., is 330.87 miles, all owned by the company, of which 273 miles are in Illinois. It extends from Pekin, southeast to Grayville, on the Wabash River - is single track, unballasted, and of standard gauge. Between Pekin and Peoria the company uses the tracks of the Peoria & Pekin Union Railway, of which it is one-fourth owner. Between Hervey City and Midland Junction it has trackage privileges over the line owned jointly by the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville and the Terre Haute & Peoria Companies (7.5 miles). Between Midland Junction and Decatur (2.4 miles) the tracks of the Illinois Central are used, the two lines having terminal facilities at Decatur in common. The rails are of fifty-two and sixty-pound steel.-
((HISTORY.) The main line of the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway is the result of the consolidation of several lines built under separate charters. (1) The Pekin, Lincoln & Decatur Railroad, chartered in 1867, built in 1869-71, and operated the latter year, was leased to the Toledo, Wabash & Western Railway, but sold to representatives Of the bond-holders, on account of default on interest, in 1876, and reorganized as the Pekin, Lincoln & Decatur Railway. (2) The Decatur, Sullivan & Mattoon Railroad, (projected from Decatur to Mattoon), was incorporated in 1871, completed from Mattoon to Hervey City, in 1872, and, the same year, consolidated with the Chicago & Great Southern; in January, 1874, the Decatur line passed into the hands of a receiver, and, in 1877, having been sold under foreclosure, was reorganized as the Decatur, Mattoon & Southern Railroad. In 1879 it was placed in the hands of trustees, but the Pekin, Lincoln & Decatur Railway having acquired a controlling interest during the same year, the two lines were consolidated under the name of the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway Company. (3) The Grayville & Mattoon Railroad, chartered in 1857, was consolidated in 1872 with the Mount Vernon & Grayville Railroad (projected), the new corporation taking the name of the Chicago & Illinois Southern (already mentioned). In 1872 the latter corporation was consolidated with the Decatur, Sullivan & Mattoon Railroad, under the name of the Chicago & Illinois Southern Railway. Both consolidations, however, were set aside by decree of the United States District Court, in 1876, and the partially graded road and franchises of the Grayville & Mattoon lines sold, under foreclosure, to the contractors for the construction; 20 miles of the line from Olney to Newton, were completed during the month of September of that year, and the entire line, from Grayville to Mattoon, in 1878. In 1880 this line was sold, under decree of foreclosure, to the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway Company, which had already acquired the Decatur & Mattoon Division - thus placing the entire line, from Peoria to Grayville, in the hands of one corporation. A line under the name of the Evansville & Peoria Railroad, chartered in Indiana in 1880, was consolidated, the same year, with the Illinois corporation under the name of the latter, and completed from Grayville to Evansville in 1882. (4) The Chicago & Ohio River Railroad - chartered, in 1869, as the Danville, Olney & Ohio River Railroad - was constructed, as a narrow-gauge line, from Kansas to West Liberty, in 1878-81; in the latter year was changed to standard gauge and completed in 1883, from Sidell to Olney (86 miles). The same year it went into the hands of a receiver, was sold under foreclosure, in February, 1886, and reorganized, in May following, as the Chicago & Ohio River Railroad; was consolidated with the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway, in 1893, and used as the Chicago Division of that line. The property and franchises of the entire line passed into the hands of receivers in 1894, and are still (1898) under their management.
PEORIA, PEKIN & JACKSONVILLE RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Rail road of Illinois.)
PEORIA & BUREAU VALLEY RAILROAD, a short line, 46.7 miles in length, operated by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company, extending from Peoria to Bureau Junction, Ill. It was incorporated, Feb. 12, 1853, completed the following year, and leased to the Rock Island in perpetuity, April 14, 1854, the annual rental being $125,000. The par value of the capital stock is $1, 500,000. Annual dividends of 8 per cent are guaranteed, payable semi-annually. (See Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway)
PEORIA & EASTERN RAILROAD. Of this line the Cleveland, Cincinnati. Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Company is the lessee. Its total length is 350 1/2 miles, 132 of which lie in Illinois -123 being owned by the Company. That portion within this State extends east from Pekin to the Indiana State line, in addition to which the Company has trackage facilities over the line of the Peoria & Pekin Union Railway (9 miles) to Peoria. The gauge is standard. The track is single, laid with sixty and sixty-seven-pound steel rails and ballasted almost wholly with gravel. The capital stock is $10,000,000. In 1895 it had a bonded debt of $13,603,000 and a floating, debt of $1,261,130, making a total capitalization of $24,864,130.
(HISTORY.) The original of this corporation was the Danville, Urbana, Bloomington & Pekin Railroad, which was consolidated in July 1869, with the Indianapolis Crawfordsville & Danville Railroad - the new corporation taking the name of the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western -- and was opened to Pekin the same year. In 1874 it passed into the hands of a receiver, was sold under foreclosure in 1879, and reorganized as the Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway Company. The next change occurred in 1881, when it was consolidated with an Ohio corporation (the Ohio, Indiana & Pacific Railroad), again undergoing a slight change of name in its reorganization as the Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railroad Company. In 1886 it again got into financial straits, was placed in charge of a receiver and sold to a reorganization committee, and, in January, 1887, took the name of the Ohio, Indiana & Western Railway Company. The final reorganization, under its present name, took place in February, 1890, when it was leased to the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway, by which it is operated.
PEORIA & HANNIBAL RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)
PEORIA & OQUAWKA RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)
PEORIA & PEKIN UNION RAILWAY. A line connecting the cities of Peoria and Pekin, which are only 8 miles apart. It was chartered in 1880, and acquired, by purchase, the tracks of the Peoria, Pekin & Jacksonville and the Peoria & Springfield Railroads, between the two cities named in its title, giving it control of two lines, which are used by nearly all the railroads entering both cities from the east side of the Illinois River. The mileage, including both divisions, is 18.14 miles,second tracks and sidings increasing the total to nearly 60 miles. The track is of standard gauge about two-thirds being laid with steel rails. The total cost of construction was $4,350,987. Its total capitalization (1898) was $4,177,763, including $1,000,000 in stock, and a funded debt of $2,904,000. The capital stock is held in equal amounts (each 2,500 shares) by the Wabash, the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville, the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis and the Peoria & Eastern companies, with 1,000 shares by the Lake Erie &Western. Terminal charges and annual rentals are also paid by the Terre Haute & Peoria and the Iowa Central Railways.
PEORIA & SPRINGFIELD RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad of Illinois.)
PITTSBURG, CINCINNATI, CHICAGO & ST. LOUIS RAILROAD, one of the Pennsylvania Company's lines, operating 1,403 miles of road, of which 1,090 miles are owned and the remainder leased -- length of line in Illinois, 28 miles. The Company is the outgrowth of a consolidation, in 1890, of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railway with the Chicago, St. Louis & Pittsburg, the Cincinnati & Richmond and the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroads. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company controls the entire line through ownership of stock. Capital stock outstanding, in 1898, $47,791,601; funded debt, $48,433,000; floating debt., $2,214,703 -total capital $98,500,584.
(HISTORY.) The Chicago, St. Louis & Pittsburg Railroad, embracing the Illinois division of this line, was made up of various corporations organized under the laws of Illinois and Indiana. One of its component parts was the Chicago & Great Eastern Railway, organized, in 1865, by consolidation of the Galena & Illinois River Railroad (chartered in 1857), the Chicago & Great Eastern Railway of Indiana, the Cincinnati & Chicago Air-Line (organized 1860), and the Cincinnati, Logans port & Chicago Railway. In 1869, the consolidated line was leased to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railway Company, and operated under the name of the Columbus, Chicago & Indiana Central between Bradford, Ohio, and Chicago, from 1869 until its consolidation, under the present name, in 1890.
PITTSBURG, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILROAD. (See Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway.)
PITTSBURG, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILWAY. The total length of this line is nearly 470 miles, but only a little over 16 miles are within Illinois. It was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company as lessee. The entire capitalization in 1898 was $52,549,990; and the earnings in Illinois, $472,228.-(HISTORY.) The Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway is the result of the consolidation, August 1, 1856, of the Ohio & Pennsylvania, the Ohio & Indiana and the Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad Companies, under the name of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad. The road was opened through its entire length, Jan. 1, 1859; was sold under foreclosure in 1861; reorganized under its present title, in 1862, and leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, for 999 years, from July 1, 1869. (See Pennsylvania Railroad.)
WISCONSIN CENTRAL LINES. The Wisconsin Central Company was organized, June 17, 1887, and subsequently acquired the Minnesota, St. Croix & Wisconsin, the Wisconsin & Minnesota, the Chippewa Falls & Western, the St. Paul & St. Croix Falls, the Wisconsin Central, the Penokee, and the Packwaukee & Montebello Rail roads, and assumed the leases of the Milwaukee & Lake Winnebago and the Wisconsin & Minnesota Roads. On July 1, 1888, the company began to operate the entire Wisconsin Central system, with the exception of the Wisconsin Central Railroad and the leased Milwaukee & Lake Winnebago, which remained in charge of the Wisconsin Central Railroad mortgage trustees until Nov. 1, 1889, when these, too, passed under the control of the Wisconsin Central Company. The Wisconsin Central Railroad Company is a reorganization (Oct. 1, 1879) of a company formed Jan. 1, 1871. The Wisconsin Central and the Wisconsin Central Railroad Companies, though differing in name, are a financial unit; the former holding most of the first mortgage bonds of the latter, and substantially all its notes, stocks and income bonds, but, for legal reasons (such as the protection of land titles), it is necessary that separate corporations be maintained. On April 1, 1890, the Wisconsin Central Company executed a lease to the Northern Pacific Railroad, but this was set aside by the courts, on Sept. 27, 1893, for non-payment of rent, and was finally canceled. On the same day receivers were appointed to insure the protection of all interests. The total mileage is 415.46 miles, of which .the Company owns 258.90-only .10 of a mile in Illinois. A line, 58.10 miles in length, with 8.44 miles of side-track (total, 66.54 miles), lying wholly within the State of Illinois, is operated by the Chicago & Wisconsin and furnishes the allied line an en trance into Chicago.
ST. LOUIS, ALTON & CHICAGO RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Alton Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS, ALTON & SPRINGFIELD RAILROAD. (See St. Louis, Chicago & St. Paul Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS, ALTON & TERRE HAUTE RAILROAD, a corporation formerly operating an extensive system of railroads in Illinois. The Terre Haute & Alton Railroad Company (the original corporation) was chartered in January, 1851, work begun in 1852, and the main line from Terre Haute to Alton (172.5 miles) completed, March 1, 1856. The Belleville & Illinoistown branch (from Belleville to East St. Louis) was chartered in 1852, and completed between the points named in the title, in the fall of 1854. This corporation secured authority to construct an extension from Illinoistown (now East St. Louis) to Alton, which was completed in October, 1856, giving the first railroad connection between Alton & St. Louis. Simultaneously with this, these two roads (the Terre Haute & Alton and the Belleville & Illinoistown) were consolidated under a single charter by special act of the Legislature in February, 1854, the consolidated line taking the name of the Terre Haute, Alton & St. Louis Railroad. Subsequently the road became financially embarrassed, was sold under foreclosure and reorganized, in 1862, under the name of the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad. June 1, 1867, the main line (from Terre Haute to St. Louis) was leased for ninety-nine years to the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railway Company (an Indiana corporation) guaranteed by certain other lines, but the lease was subsequently broken by the insolvency of the lessee and some of the guarantors. The Indianapolis & St. Louis went into the hands of a receiver in 1882, and was sold under foreclosure, in July of the same year, its interest being absorbed by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway, by which the main line is now operated. The properties officially reported as remaining in the hands of the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad, June 30, 1895, beside the Belleville Branch (14.40 miles), included the following leased and subsidiary lines: Belleville & Southern Illinois-' 'Cairo Short Line" (56.40 miles); Belleville & Eldorado, (50.20 miles); Belleville & Carondelet (17.30 miles); St. Louis Southern and branches (47.27 miles), and Chicago, St. Louis & Paducah Rail way (53.50 miles). All these have been leased, since the close of the fiscal year 1895, to the Illinois Central. (For sketches of these several roads see headings of each.)
ST. LOUIS, CHICAGO & ST. PAUL RAILROAD, (Bluff Line),a line running from Spring field to Granite City, Ill., (opposite St. Louis), 102.1 miles, with branch from Lock Haven to Grafton, III., 8.4 miles-total length of line in Illinois, 110.5 miles. The track is of standard gauge, laid with 56 to 70-pound steel rails.-
(HISTORY.) The road was originally incorporated under the name of the St. Louis, Jerseyville & Springfield Railroad, built from Bates to Grafton in 1882, and absorbed by the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway Company; was surrendered by the receivers of the latter in 1886, and passed under the control of the bond-holders, by whom it was transferred to a corporation known as the St. Louis & Central Illinois Railroad Company. In June, 1887, the St. Louis, Alton & Springfield Railroad Company was organized, with power to build extensions from Newbern to Alton, and from Bates to Springfield, which was done. In October, 1890, a receiver was appointed, followed by a reorganization under the present name (St. Louis, Chicago & St. Paul). Default was made on the interest and, in June following, it was again placed in the hands of receivers, by whom it was operated until 1898. The total earnings and income for the fiscal year 1897-98 were $318,815, operating expenses, $373,270; total capitalization, $4, 853,526, of which, $1,500,000 was in the form of stock and $1,235 000 in income bonds.
ST. LOUIS, INDIANAPOLIS & EASTERN RAILROAD, a railroad line 90 miles in length, extending from Switz City, Ind., to Effingham, Ill.-56 miles being within the State of Illinois. It is of standard gauge and the track laid chiefly with iron rails.-(HISTORY.) The original corporation was chartered in 1869 as the Springfield, Effingham & Quincy Railway Company. It was built as a narrow-gauge line by the Cincinnati, Effingham & Quincy Construction Company which went into the hands of a receiver in 1878. The road was completed by the receiver in 1880, and, in 1885, restored to the Construction Company by the discharge of the receiver. For a short time it was operated in connection with the Bloomfield Railroad of Indiana, but was reorganized in 1886 as the Indiana & Illinois Southern Railroad, and the gauge changed to standard in 1887. Having made default in the payment of interest, it was sold under foreclosure in 1890 and purchased in the interest of the bond holders, by whom it was conveyed to the St. Louis, Indianapolis & Eastern Railroad Company, in whose name the line is operated. Its business is limited, and chiefly local. The total earnings in 1898 were $65,583 and the expenditures $69,112. Its capital stock was $740,900; bonded debt, $978,000, other indebtedness increasing the total capital investment to $1,816,736.
ST. LOUIS, JACKSONVILLE & CHICAGO RAILROAD. (See Chicago & Alton Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS, JERSEYVILLE & SPRINGFIELD RAILROAD. (See St. Louis, Chicago & St. Paul Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS, PEORIA & NORTHERN RAILWAY, known as "Peoria Short Line," a corporation organized, Feb. 29, 1896, to take over and unite the properties of the St. Louis & Eastern, the St. Louis & Peoria and the North and South Railways, and to extend the same due north from Springfield to Peoria (60 miles), and thence to Fulton or East Clinton, Ill., on the Upper Mississippi. The line extends from Springfield to Glen Carbon (84.46 miles), with trackage facilities over the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad and the Merchants' Terminal Bridge (18 miles) to St. Louis.
(HISTORY.) This road has been made up of three sections or divisions. (1) The initial section of the line was constructed under the name of the St. Louis & Chicago Railroad of Illinois, incorporated in 1885, and opened from Mount Olive to Alhambra in 1887. It passed into the hands of a receiver, was sold under fore closure in 1889, and reorganized, in 1890, as the St. Louis & Peoria Railroad. The St. Louis & Eastern, chartered in 1889, built the line from Glen Carbon to Marine, which was opened in 1893; the following year, bought the St. Louis & Peoria line, and, in 1895, constructed the link (8 miles) between Alhambra and Marine. (3) The North & South Railroad Company of Illinois, organized in 1890, as successor to the St. Louis & Chicago Railway Company, proceeded in the construction of the line (50.46 miles) from Mt. Olive to Spring field, which was subsequently leased to the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis, then under the management of the Jacksonville, Louisville & St. Louis Railway. The latter corporation having defaulted, the property passed into the hands of a receiver. By expiration of the lease in December, 1896, the property reverted to the proprietary Company, which took possession, Jan. 1, 1896. The St. Louis & Southeastern then bought the line outright, and it was incorporated as a part of the new organization under the name of the St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway, the North & South Railroad going out of existence. In May, 1899, the St. Louis, Peoria & Northern was sold to the reorganized Chicago & Alton Railroad Company, to be operated as a short line between Peoria & St. Louis.
ST. LOUIS, ROCK ISLAND & CHICAGO RAILROAD. (See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS SOUTHERN RAILROAD, a line running from Pinckneyville, Ill., via Murphysboro, to Carbondale. The company is also the lessee of the Carbondale & Shawneetown Rail road, extending from Carbondale to Marion, 17.5 miles-total, 50.5 miles. The track is of standard gauge and laid with 56 and 60-pound steel rails. The company was organized in August, 1886, to succeed to the property of the St. Louis Coal Rail road (organized in 1879) and the St. Louis Central Railway; and was leased for 980 years from Dec. 1, 1886, to. the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad Company, at an annual rental equal to thirty per cent of the gross earnings, with a mini mum guarantee of $32,000, which is sufficient to pay the interest on the first mortgage bonds. During the year 1896 this line passed under lease from the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Rail road Company, into the hands of the Illinois Central Railroad Company.
ST. LOUIS, SPRINGFIELD & VINCENNES RAILROAD COMPANY, a corporation organized in July, 1899, to take over the property of the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railway in the State of Illinois, known as the Ohio & Mississippi and the Springfield & Illinois Southeastern Railways the former extending from Vincennes, Ind., to East St. Louis, and the latter from Beardstown to Shawneetown. The property was sold under foreclosure, at Cincinnati, July 10, 1899, and transferred, for purposes of reorganization, into the hands of the new corporation, July 28, 1899. (For history of the several lines see Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railway.)
ST. LOUIS, VANDALIA & TERRE HAUTE RAILROAD. This line extends from East Louis eastward across the State, to the Indiana State line, a distance of 158.3 miles. The Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company is lessee. The track is single, of standard and laid with steel rails. The outstanding capital stock, in 1898, was $3,924,058, the bonded $4,496,000, and the floating debt, $218,480.
(HISTORY ) The St. Louis, Vandalia & Terre Haute Railroad was chartered in 1865, opened in and leased to the Terre Haute & Indiana Railroad, for itself and the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad.
ST. LOUIS & CAIRO RAILROAD, extends from East St. Louis to Cairo, Ill., 151.6 miles, with a branch from Millstadt Junction to High Prairie, 9 miles. The track is of standard gauge and laid mainly with steel rails. -(HISTORY.) The original charter was granted to the Cairo & St. Louis Railroad Company, Feb. 16, 1865, and the road opened, March 1, 1875. Subsequently it passed into the hands of a receiver, was sold under fore closure, July 14, 1881, and was taken charge of by a new company under its present name, Feb. 1, 1882. On Feb. 1, 1886, it was leased to the Mobile & Ohio Railroad Company for forty-five years, and now constitutes the Illinois Division of that line, giving it a connection with St. Louis.
ST. LOUIS & CENTRAL ILLINOIS RAIL ROAD. (See St. Louis, Chicago & St. Paul Railroad.)
ST. LOUIS & CHICAGO RAILROAD (of Illinois). (See St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway.)
ST. LOUIS & EASTERN RAILROAD. (See St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway.)
ST. LOUIS & PEORIA RAILWAY. (See St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway.)
Return to the Main Index Page for Cook County