Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails
List of Chicagoans on Board the Titanic
April 15, 1912

Also noted are individuals on the Titanic with a Chicago connection
Thomas E. Golembiewski compiled this data from the news accounts
and the official report: "Titanic Disaster, Report of the Committee on Commerce, U.S. Senate", Washington, D.C.,
US Government Printing Office, 1912

Background biographical information was added from http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Transcribed by K. Torp, 2007

The White Star-Dominion Line had Chicago offices at 1 South LaSalle Street

Titantic during Sea Trials on April 2, 1912

+ indicates the individual perished
Street Addresses are for the City of Chicago unless otherwise noted...

And it's important to note that this data is from actual newspaper stories of the time and yes, there are errors in it!

The Captain of the Titanic,
Captain E. John Smith was the uncle, [or perhaps great uncle], of Anna E. Rhinehart, who married Willard M. Gallup of Downer's Grove. Willard's parents, Earnest and Minnie, lived on Highland Avenue, and Earnest was affiliated with Norris Grain Company. He may have held a seat on the Chicago Board of Trade at one time. His son Willard, after WWI and service in the USMC, worked at Norris for a time and married Anna. They lived on South Shore Drive, then later moved to Three Rivers, MI.
Anna E. (Rhinehart) Gallup, according to one old record, was from Nova Scotia, and possibly Anna's Aunt or Great Aunt was a Smith, [perhaps wife or daughter of Captain Smith's brother]. Anna was the grandmother of Geoffrey C. Gallup (who has contributed this informatoin). She said the family had said little about this connection, as it was considered a sort of unpleasant issue rather than a source of pride. Nonetheless, the Captain of the Titanic was the Great Uncle of a Chicago resident.
[Submitted by Geoffrey C. Gallup, ggallup
at subair.com]


Mrs. James Brown - (Margaret Torbin).
aka "Unsinkable Molly" Brown. She was not a Chicagoan, but her brother, Daniel Torbin of Denver was a resident of the Palmer House at the time of the tragedy. He was a familiar sight at the White Star-Dominion Line Chicago offices. His sister escaped in port side lifeboat no. 6, the first lifeboat to leave from the port side of the Titanic at 12:55 a.m.

Howard Brown Case
- Age 48, originally of Rochester, NY. Chicago friends feared that the Howard Case listed was the same man that had been employed a year before by the Sunday Evening Club to help solicit attendance at lodging and boarding houses for services at the club. He had told friends he'd be leaving Chicago for Europe, but would return in 1912. The Howard Case on board the Titanic was the manager of the Vacuum Oil Company Ltd., Caxton House, Westminster, London and had boarded at Southampton. He may have intended to make a business trip to Standard Oil Cy., Rochester, New York. Mr. Case was a well-known American resident in England. First coming to England in 1886, he returned to the United States in 1891. Eight years later, in 1899, he came back to England to take the sole charge of his company's interests in England. He resided at Coombe Grange, Ascot together with his wife and four children (two sons and two daughters).
Some survivors recalled that Case helped women and children into the boats and finally stepped back to meet his fate.
Mr. Howard Case died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.

Mrs. Tyrell W. Cavendish (Julia Siegel)
- of 23 Chesham Place, London, and of New York. Prominent in Chicago social circles, she left the Titanic in lifeboat no. 6, , the first to leave on the port side at 12:55 a.m., with her maid, Miss Barber. Mrs. Cavendish was the daughter of Henry Siegel, New York millionaire (formerly of Chicago) and the niece of Ferdinand Siegel, of 3642 South Michigan Ave.

Tyrell Cavendish, educated at Harrow, was a descendant of William Cavendish, the third Duke of Devenshire, and was a first cousin, once removed, of Charles Frederick Cavendish, the fifth Baron Waterpark. He was fifth cousin of John Edward Dean Browne, the 5th Baron Kilmaine, whose daughter, Alicia Evelyn Browne, married Edward St. John Edmonstone, younger brother of Sir Archibald Edmondstone, 6th Baronet. Sir Archibald Edmondstone's wife, Gwendolyn Mary Field, was the granddaughter of Marshall Field, founder of the famous dry-goods store.

George Quincy Clifford
- Resident of Stoughton, Massachusetts. Age 40, Boarded in Southampton. President of the Belcher Last Company
In the winter of 1912, and before his planned combined business and pleasure trip to Europe, Mr. Clifford took out $50,000.00 worth of extra life insurance on his person. As it was, prior to his departure overseas, his brother had passed away and his own wife was very ill as well. On February 20, 1912, George Q. Clifford sailed from Boston, Mass, aboard the Megantic, another White Star liner, accompanied by his two traveling companions: Walter Chamberlain Porter, President of the Samuel Porter Last Manufacturing Co, Worcester, Mass and John Edward Maguire of the Dunbar Pattern Co., Brockton, Mass.
Mr. Clifford learned from a telegram upon his immediate arrival in Europe, that his mother had also passed away while he was crossing the Atlantic Ocean. He was informed that her estate was being held in probate awaiting his return as a beneficiary.
The three men boarded the Titanic in Southampton as first class passengers. Mr. Clifford shared ticket no. 110465 (£52) with Mr. Porter and occupied cabin A-14. Mr. Porter occupied cabin C-110. Mr. Maguire occupied the cabin next to Mr. Porter’s, C-108. All three men perished in the tragedy. Mr.Porter's body was discovered after the sinking by the MacKay Bennett (#207) in a remarkably good condition. Neither Mr. Maguire's nor Mr. Clifford’s bodies were ever found.
After Mr. Clifford’s tragic death and due to his prior purchase of extra insurance, the total amount of his insurance policies reached $110,000.00. In addition, his estate was valued at $150,000.00. During his lifetime, Mr. Clifford had been a member of several Boston and Brockton area clubs.

Mrs. Edward G. Crosby
- Resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her husband, an old great lakes skipper, was president of the Crosby Transportation Company, operating a line of boats between Milwaukee and Grand Haven, Michigan. Mrs. Crosby was the sister of Mrs. William A. Campbell of 4639 South Prairie Avenue.

Walter Donald Douglas
- Age 50, Resident of Cedar Rapids, Iowa and Deephaven, MN, born in Iowa on 21 April 1861. Douglas boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg with his wife Mahala Douglas and their maid Berthe LeRoy. Traveling as first class passengers, they occupied cabin C-86. He was a director of the Quaker Oats Company and a cousin of James H. Douglas of 4830 South Woodlawn Avenue, President of Quaker Oats. With his brother George, Douglas had founded the family starch works in his native Cedar Rapids that later became Penick & Ford. Their father, George, had started Quaker Oats. Described as a ''Captain of Industry,'' Walter Douglas had amassed a fortune of at least $4 million in various Cedar Rapids industries and branched out into the linseed oil business in Minneapolis. With his new wife, Mahala, he'd built a mansion on bluffs overlooking Lake Minnetonka. Douglas had retired on Jan. 1, 1912, and the couple took off on a three-month tour of Europe to find furnishings for their palatial retreat. According to later reports Walter Douglas, dressed in his finest, helped lower the last lifeboat of survivors off the Titanic. It was reported that he refused to leave the ship while others remained, saying it would make him 'less than a man'. His body was later recovered by the Mackay-Bennett, and identified on April 22nd. He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. His wife survived.

Mrs. Boulton Earnshaw
- Resident of Philadelphia. Mrs. Earnshaw was traveling with her sister-in-law, Mrs. Thomas Potter, Jr. Mr. Earnshaw's cousin was Mr. Charles Earnshaw of 1434 Sheridan Road, Evanston. Mrs. Earnshaw was in starboard lifeboat no. 7 the first lifeboat lowered from the Titanic at 12:45 a.m.

+ Henry Birkhardt Harris
- aged 45, was born on 1 December 1866 in St. Louis, Missouri, to William Harris and Rachel Freefield, and married Rene Wallach on October 22, 1898. They had no children.
He was a famed New York producer, managing personalities as Lily Langtry and Amelia Bingham in "The Climbers" and launching Robert Edeson as a star. He was the uncle of Edward W. Steele who lived at 16 East Delaware Place and was manager of the Colonial Theater at 26 W. Randolph St..
Harris and his wife boarded the Titanic at Southampton, they occupied cabin C-83. Among the other First Class Passengers was his friend John D. Baumann.
Mr Harris died in the disaster, his body, if recovered, was never identified

Ida S. Hippach
- Wife of Louis Hippach, the co-founder of the Tyler & Hippach Glass Company. They lived at 7360 Sheridan Road, Evanston. Mrs. Hippach was the sister of Mrs. William H. West, 4318 South Grand Blvd. (now King Drive).
She was in the last lifeboat to leave the Titanic, port side boat no. 4, lowered at 1:55 a.m.. This boat also included Mrs. Astor, Widener, and Ryerson. Mrs. Hippach died in 1940.

Miss Jean Hippach (Mrs. Scharin)
- Daughter Ida S. Hippach. She died in 1974.

Anne Elizabeth Isham
- aged 50, was born on 25 January 1862 in Chicago, the first child of Edward Swift Isham and Frances Burch. She had two brothers Pierrepont and Edward Swift, and a sister Frances. Their father established a law firm with Robert Todd Lincoln (son of former US President Abraham Lincoln) called Isham, Lincoln & Beale in Chicago, Illinois. She lived for a time in Chicago where she was a member of the Friday Club and the Scribbler's Club, but by 1912 she had been living abroad for nine years; most of the time in Paris with her sister Frances (Mrs Harry Shelton). Ann's brother Edward lived in New York City and it was in order to spend the summer with him that she boarded the Titanic when it stopped at Cherbourg on April 10, 1912. Titanic passenger Arthur Larned Ryerson was a partner in her father's firm and it is likely that Ann and the Rysersons knew each other. Her cabin (C-49) was next to that of Colonel Archibald Gracie, although he did not remember ever seeing her. Ann was one of four first class women who died in the disaster; her body, if recovered, was never identified.
When Ann died, in addition to her siblings, she left a cousin, Mrs H. H. Porter, Jr., of Chicago. A memorial to her was erected by her family in Vermont.
As a further note: It has been suggested that Miss Isham brought on board with her a dog (possibly a Great Dane), and some believe that it was her refusal to leave her dog that led to her death. It has been further suggested that she was the woman observed to have had her arms frozen around her dog in the water following the sinking. However, no firm evidence has been found to support the claims.

F.R. Kenyon
- Resident of Pittsburgh, age 41, born on 14 March 1871.
Brother-in-law of Mrs. George P. Baldwin, 309 Linden Avenue, Oak Park. Mr. Kenyon was associated with Charles Stevens, steel merchant at 35 South Jefferson St. The Kenyons were returning from a trip to Panama and Paris. They had been in Chicago for the Christmas holidays in 1911. A resident of Southington and Noank, Connecticut, Mr Kenyon boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger together with his wife Marion. They occupied cabin D-21. Other traveling companions were Dr. Alice Leader and Mrs Margaret Welles Swift. His body, if recovered, was never identified

Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Nelson Kimball, Jr.
- Mr. Kimball was the nephew of Curtis N. Kimball, President of the W.W. Kimball Piano Company and grandnephew of William Wallace Kimball, founder of the company. The Kimballs left the Titanic in starboard side lifeboat no. 5, which had been lowered at 12:55 a.m.

Mr. Erwin (or ERVIN) G. Lewy
- Age 31, Residence: 5728 South Park Avenue, Chicago. Member of Lewy Brothers Jewelers, Republic Building, 201 South State St., and brother of J.B. Lewy and M.D. Lewy, 3216 South Michigan Ave. Mr. Lewy was on a diamond buying trip to Antwerp. His body was not recovered.

+ Clarence Bloomfield Moore
- Age 47, born on 1 March 1865. Lived in Washington, D.C. with his wife Maybelle Florence Swift and their five children, who was the only daughter of Edwin Carleton Swift, younger brother of Gustavus Franklin Swift, founder of the meat-packing empire, based in Chicago. He was a member of the firm of W B Hibbs and Co, brokers, of Washington, also owning a farm in Montgomery County, MD, where he raised cattle and horses. He also had interests in real estate near Leesburg, VA. Moore had been in England to shop for fox hounds for the Loundon Hunt. He purchased fifty pairs although they did not return with Moore on the Titanic.
He boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger. His manservant Charles Harrington accompanied him.
At the time of the collision Moore was playing cards in the smoking room with his compatriots and dining companions Major Archibald Butt, Harry Widener, and William Carter. The group of friends remained more or less together as the ship sank and his body was never recovered. Mrs. Moore did not accompany her husband on the trip, and later made a claim of $500,000, for loss of future income and $10,500 for loss of property, including $3,000 for pearl studs and $2,500 for pearl cuff links. She also claimed for loss of personal effects and other jewelry and for legal costs, which was met only on a pro rata basis.

Walter Chamberlain Porter
- Age 46, born May 13, 1865 to Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Porter in Worcester, Mass and was a resident of there at the time of his death. A shoe manufacturer, Chicago friends had Mass said for him and Mr. Mr. George Q. Clifford at the Paulist Church of St. Mary, at 51 E. Van Buren ST. Both men had visited Chicago as the guests of John O'Connor (335 W. Belden Ave), who was the co-owner of the noted footwear store of O'Connor & Goldberg at 23 E. Madison St.. He was taking his first trip abroad on a business trip with George Clifford and John McGuire. Porter occupied cabin C-110, Maguire was in the next-door cabin, C-108 and Clifford was in A-14. All three men perished in the tragedy. Mr. Porter's body was discovered after the sinking by the MacKay Bennett. Neither Mr.Maguire's and Mr.Clifford's bodies were recovered.

John Hugo Ross
- age 36, born in Glengarry Co., Ontario, 24 November 1875. He was the son of Arthur Wellington Ross, Liberal-Conservative Member of the Canadian Parliament for the Manitoba Constituency of Lisgar. His father, a real estate broker, was involved in the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and in 1878 was elected a member of the Manitoba Legislature. He resigned his seat in 1882 to run for federal office, and was elected MP.
He was a Cousin of Dr. Hugh H. Perry, 3915 So. Commercial Ave, Chicago. Dr. Perry had two other Winnipeg friends on the Titanic, Mr. T. Beattie and Mr. Mark Fortune (both lost).
John Hugo Ross was a wealthy real estate owner of Winnipeg, Canada, Ross, Beattie and Vancouver banker Thomas McCaffry sailed from New York on the
Franconia on 20 January 1912. After two months in the Agean and Egypt, Ross was feeling ill, and they decided to cut their vacation short. "We are on the last lap of doing the old lands and ready for Winnipeg and business," he wrote a postcard to friends in Winnipeg. Ross canceled reservations on the Mauretania, and booked Cabin A-10 on Titanic instead. When he boarded on 10 April 1912, he was so ill from dysentery he had to be carried to his cabin on a stretcher. The last person to see Ross alive was probably Major Arthur Peuchen. Peuchen made his way up the grand staircase and saw Ross still in his pajamas. When Ross was told the ship had struck an iceberg and that he should get dressed, Ross refused to believe the trouble serious. "Is that all,?" he told Peuchen. "It will take more than an iceberg to get me off this ship." Presumably, Ross drowned in his bed. His body was never recovered, but a memorial plaque with his name on it can be found in Winnipeg City Hall.

Ryerson Family
+ Arthur Larned Ryerson, age 61, from Haverford, PA
Mrs. Arthur Ryerson (Emily Borie)
Children: Emily Borie, John Borie and Suzette Parker
Arthur was the elder son of Joseph Turner Ryerson, founder of the iron and steel company of that name. He was returning to the U.S. from Paris, to attend the funeral of his son, Arthur Jr., who was killed in an automobile accident at Bryn Mawr, PA the week before. Mrs. Ryerson escaped on the eighth and last lifeboat from the port side at 1:55 a.m. She remarried in 1927 to Forsythe Shefersee, a financial advisor to the Chinese government, dying in 1939 at age 76.
Emily Ryerson married twice and died at Cooperstown, NY in 1960, age 66
Suzette, educated at the University of Chicago, went to France during WWI and worked in a field hospital, being awarded the Croix de Guerre for her work. She was married to George Patterson and died in 1921.
Jack Ryerson, aged 13 at the time of the Titanic disaster, became a noted golfer.
Another child Ellen Ryerson (later Mrs Salvatore) was not aboard the Titanic. She died in New York in 1973.
Unknown to Arthur was the presence on the Titanic of a distant (4th) cousin. William Edwy Ryseron worked as a steward in the dining saloon.
Arthur Ryerson was lost in the sinking, his body, if recovered, was never identified.

+ James Clinch Smith
Age 56, born 3 April 1856 - A resident of St James, Long Island, New York, Mr Smith boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg as a first class passenger, occupying cabin A-7 His wife, the former Bertha Ludington Barnes, was the sister of Mr. Nelson P. Barnes, 22 East Ontario St., Chicago, a broker with offices at the Rookery. Bertha, due to a late change in plans failed to board the Titanic. Her father, Clifford L. Barnes, of Lake Forest, was an early president of the Sunday Evening Club, a social welfare organization.
Smith was a lieutenant in the Third Cavalry, U.S. Army. He was the brother of Bessie Smith White of Smithtown, Long Island, NY, wife of architect Stanford White. White was murdered in June 1906 by Harry Thaw, then recently married to White's mistress of five years, Evelyn Nesbit. James Clinch Smith was a witness to the event.
James Clinch Smith died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.

Albert A. Steward
Resident of Gallipolis, Ohio. Steward was the New York representative of Stowbridge Lithography Co., of Cincinnati, OH. He was the father of Mrs. Oren Taft, of 63 East Cedar St., Chicago. He was returning from vacationing in France,while his family remained on the continent, boarding the Titanic at Cherbourg. During the voyage he became friendly with Dickinson and Helen Bishop. On the night of the disaster he encouraged them on deck to see the ice that had fallen from the passing iceberg. Mr and Mrs Bishop were rescued, but Stewart was lost in the sinking. His body was not recovered.

Mrs. Anna Warren and husband + Frank Manley Warren, aged 63, born 10 May 1848. Owner of fisheries and canneries in Oregon.
Residents of Portland, Oregon, Warren boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg with his wife Anna. Traveling as first class passengers, they occupied cabin D-37. Mr Warren helped his wife into lifeboat 5 and then stepped back. Frank Warren lost his life in the disaster. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
On her way back to Portland, Mrs. Warren stayed at Chicago's Blackstone Hotel as the guest of a family friend, Mr. F.H. Stone of 2131 W. Washington Boulevard, Chicago.


Stanley Hubert Fox
- age 38 (b. 13 April 1876), of Rochester, NY. His sister was listed as D.B. Fox of 1250 North Astor Street, Chicago.
He had been on business in Birmingham, England before booking a return passage to America with the Grand Trunk Co. He boarded the Titanic at Southampton. Mr Fox died in the sinking, his body was later recovered by the MacKay Bennett
His body was later recovered.

CLOTHING - Grey suit; grey overcoat.
EFFECTS - Letter credit case; memo book; card case; memo book; £2 in gold; $65; notes in case; watch and chain; pen; nickel watch; 11 shillings; 25c; and comb.
38 Gregory St., Rochester. N.Y.

When his remains were brought back to Halifax, NS a woman identifying herself as Lydia Fox and claiming to be his sister-in-law stated that as Mr Fox's widow Cora was 'prostrated in Rochester' over the death of her husband, Lydia was authorized to act on her behalf. The officials released the body and personal effects to be loaded on Lydia's train home. However, shortly before the train departed, they received a telegram from Mrs Fox, instructing that the body not be released to Lydia Fox and to retain the personal effects. While retaining the personal effects, they initially allowed the body on the train. However, while the train was enroute from Halifax, they received information that a possible insurance fraud was being perpetrated, so at the next stop, the body was off loaded; an ignorant Lydia Fox continuing on her journey. After an additional telegram from the mayor of Rochester, Mr Fox's body and effects were finally routed home. He was buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester.

Rev. John Harper
- age 39, of London, England. Successfully filled the pulpit the previous winter at the Moody Bible Institute, 808 N. LaSalle St. Many were swayed by his stirring sermons and he was on his way back to preach there again, traveling with his 6-year-old daughter Nina, and her nurse, Miss Jessie Leitch. After the collision, Harper awakened his daughter and wrapped her in a blanket before carrying her up to A deck. There he kissed her good-bye and handed her to a crewman, who put her into lifeboat 11 with Miss Leitch. Both survived and returned to England aboard the SS Baltic on April 25. Rev. Harper went down with the ship - his body was never recovered.
A well known photograph of the second class promenade, in which a young girl is seen holding her father's hand, is believed by many to show young Nina Harper and her father.

Mrs. A. Lamore
- Address given as "Care of Limnix, 2236 Austin Avenue, Chicago"

Mrs. Marion Smith
- Boston resident. She was the daughter of William Haines, of the Arcola Hotel, 3800 W. Lake Street, Chicago.

Philip Joseph Stokes
- age 25, a bricklayer from London. His destination was Detroit, Michigan.
Nephew of Phillip O'Grady of Kewanee, (Henry County) Illinois
Mr Stokes died in the sinking. His body was recovered by the MacKay Bennett


CLOTHING - Blue serge coat and trousers; grey cardigan; white shirt; flannel singlet.
EFFECTS - Gold watch and chain, and fob: pocket book; knife; keys; gold pin; silver match box; fountain pen; gold ring marked "P.S.", cheque on Dominion Bank, payable at Windsor, Ont., for $243.12; memo book; Masonic button; photo; in purse. £11 9s. 8d., and 1 dime.
91 Hawstead Rd., Catford, S.E

His body was buried at sea on 24 April 1912.

Dagmar and +Kurt Arnold Gottfrid Bryhl and +Ingvar Enander
- From Skara, near Lake Vanern, Skaraborg, Sweden. Brother and sister were on their way to visit an uncle, Mr. Oscar Lustig, of 511 Pearl Street, Rockford, IL. Kurt was planning on staying in America. Children of Gustaf Gottfrid Lustig, a lawyer in Skara, Sweden. Kurt, age 25, was born 2 March 1887 and worked as an upholsterer in Skara. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton with Dagmar's fiancé Ingvar Enander as second class passengers, with Kurt acting as interpreter for the group. Both Kurt and Ingvar perished. Dagmar recalled on the night of the sinking that Kurt had been wearing a gray-speckled costume. Ingvar Enander was going to continue his studies in the USA. His father provided a detailed description of his clothes to help in identifying his body: Ingvar wore a blue jacket dress and a gray Ulster, he carried a penknife with mother-of-pearl handle, watch with golden chain, wallet and tickets and a box with valuables, he had placed Dagmar's red slippers he had put into his Ulster pocket... Ingvar's body was not recovered.
Dagmar survived and returned to Gotenburg on board the SS Baltic on May 9. Read
newspaper accounts on our Winnebago website.


Bourke Family
+ Mr. John Bourke, + Mrs. Katherine Bourke and + Miss Mary Bourke (John's sister)
Katherine, age 32, had been a resident of Chicago for six years. She returned to Ireland and married John Bourke on 17 January 1911 and persuaded him to settle in Chicago. They were going to live with an uncle, Mr. Martin McDermott, 6640 North Robey (now Damen) Ave, Chicago. Mrs. Burke's sister was Ellen McHugh a domestic at 5513 S. Cornell Ave. John Bourke, aged 43 (b. May 1869), was a farmer from Carrowskehine, and the son of William Bourke and Mary O'Boyle. He was married to Catherine McHugh of Tawnagh, Co Mayo. The Burkes were part of a party of seven that included Annie Kelley, Margaret Manion, and Katherine and Annie McGowan. He and the others boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as third class passengers.

On the night of the sinking, John and Patrick Canavan remembered the presence of a ladder which led to higher decks. They are reported to have gathered women and children around them and helped them up to the higher deck. However, Catherine and Mary (age 25) refused to remain in lifeboat 16 when they realized that John would be left behind. All three perished in the disaster. John's body, if recovered, has never been identified.

Miss Katherine McGowan, 36, was born in September 1869 the daughter of Anthony McGowan and Bridget Mayock. She was originally from Castlebar, County Mayo. Katherine had lived in Cleveland, Ohio for several years, but had moved to Chicago, Illinois where her sister Mrs Mary (Thomas) McDermott lived at 3239 N. Ashland Avenue. Another sister, Mrs Margaret McCarthy lived in Cleveland, Ohio. She boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger. She was traveling to the United States with her niece, Anna McGowan. Katherine was returning home from a trip to Ireland. She led a group of passengers from county Mayo, the group included Annie Kate Kelly, Bridget Delia McDermott, John Bourke, Catherine Bourke, Mary Bourke, Mary Canavan, Patrick Canavan, James Flynn, Bridget Donohoe, Nora Fleming, Mary Mangan. She died in the sinking. Her body, if recovered, was never been identified. Read Annie McGowan's story

Gerda Ulrika Dahlberg
Aged 22, born 5 February 1890, the daughter of late country police official Karl Magnus Dahlberg and his wife Margareta Ulrika Dahlberg. The were from Norrlöt, Tungelsta, Södertörn, Stockholm, Sweden. Her sister, Miss Signe Dahlberg, of 1830 South Calumet Avenue, Chicago, had paid for her passage. Another sister was Mrs. Augusta Stetz, of 1734 South Sedgwick Ave.
She boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger . She got to know Carl Olof Jansson while on board, he recognized her as they both struggled in the water. Jansson was eventually picked up, but Gerda died in the sinking. Her body was not recovered.

Edward Dorking
aged 19, a single man from Liss, Hampshire, boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger. He was traveling to join his uncle, Fred Cooke at Oglesby, a cement manufacturing town about five miles south of LaSalle, Illinois. Dorking's stepfather Mr John C. Baker lived in Clevedon, England. After the collision Dorking helped Emily Badman to put on her lifebelt. Edward Arthur Dorking was rescued in Collapsible B. He was quartered for a time at a New York Hospital before making his way the Illinois where he earned money for a time by relating his experiences in a series of public appearances, as reported by the local press at the time. He died Monday 12th April 1954.
Read his story.

James Elsbury
Aged 50, a wealthy farmer living west of Gurnee, near Waukegan, IL.
Mr William James Elsbury, 47, was born in 1865 in Stanmoor, near Burrow Bridge, Somerset. He was the son of James and Mary Ann Elsbury. He was the brother of Sarah, Mary Jane and John. He emigrated to Gurnee, Lake County, Illinois in 1884 where he subsequently acquired a 105 acre farm. He married an American woman called Eliza and had a family of 4 children, 3 boys (one of which was Lloyd) and a girl, Bernice. The 2 eldest boys worked with him on the farm.

On 20 November 1911 he returned to Somerset on his own, to assist his younger brother, John in the winding up of his recently deceased father's financial affairs. He was due to return to Gurnee in the March of 1912, but on hearing of the maiden voyage of Titanic he decided on the new ship as his means of returning to America. He boarded the Titanic at Southampton, traveling 3rd class. He was lost in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.

There is a memorial to James on a gravestone in the Taunton area.

+ Joseph Foley
Age 26. Left Ireland for Chicago to be with his brother, Thomas Foley, a streetcar conductor, living at 3157 W. Harrison St. Joseph, whose family had a farm in Ireland, was one of 12 children. He died in the sinking and his body was never recovered.

NOTE: The Joseph Foley who was on the Titanic has his age listed on the Ship's Register as 19 (Webmaster has confirmed this with an actual copy of the register), and, according to researcher Áine Foley, was apparently a completely different individual than the Thomas Foley mentioned in this article. The information in the article, including the brother's name, occupation, address and number of children in the family, are correct for Áine Foley's ancestor Joseph Foley, age 26. Her great-uncle was travelling from County Wexford Ireland to America, but came on another ship, and arrived in Chicago after April 20. His family *thought* he was the same Joseph Foley who perished on the Titanic.
We'll keep the data above available since we don't change original source information.

Alfred Ossian Gustafson (Gustafsson)
- Born 12 May 1892, aged 19, occupation: General Labourer. His last residence was in Karlby, Finland. His destination was Waukegan, IL. Embarked at Southampton. His traveling companion listed on the same ticket was Mr. Olaf Elon Osén. Perished in the sinking, his body was never recovered.

Hilda Maria Hellström (Hillstrom)
- aged, 22, was born December 7, 1889, the daughter of August Hellström and Carolina Hellström (née Johnson). She had two brothers and two sisters. Until 1912 Hilda lived in Stora Tuna, Borlänge, Sweden with her parents.

Hilda Hellström had been planning her journey to America for a long time but had to postpone it when her mother became ill and she had to keep house for her father. When her mother died, in March 1912, a sister took care of her father and Hilda could finally go. She booked her passage through the White Star agent in Gothenburg (Carl Eriksson). She was initially meant to travel on the Adriatic but was transferred on account of the coal strike. She boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger and occupied Cabin 135 far aft on D-Deck with other single women. Her destination was the home of her widowed aunt Johanna Erikson, 1032 Florence Ave. Evanston Illinois.
Hilda had not yet got into bed when she heard the collision; she went on deck but could see no disturbance so returned to her room. When she was back in her cabin she felt uneasy and decided to go back up on deck. Someone there grabbed her and guided her to a lifeboat. She was able to get into one of the last boats (probably) collapsible C with fellow Swede Velin Öhman. Hilda recalled that Velin produced a bottle of brandy and the two women shared it to calm their shattered nerves.

In a letter home she wrote about the arrival to New York on the Carpathia that she was "broke, pale and skinny, we were stowed in like pigs on Carpathia." In New York she was brought to the Lutheran Emigrant Home. The Womens Relief Committee in New York gave her $25. After surviving the sinking she had such a terror of water that she never again traveled to Sweden or saw her Swedish relatives. Hilda married John Edward Larson on December 7, 1915, in Waukegan. They had a daughter Ellen. The family lived at 1870 Green Bay Road, Highland Park, Chicago, IL. But a few weeks before she died, Hilda moved to Streator, IL to be with her daughter Ellen, dying at her daughter's home on March 16, 1962 aged 72. She is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery in Skokie, IL.

Johnson Family
Mrs. Alice Wilhelmina Johnson., Harold Theodor and Eleanore Ileen
Mrs. Johnson, who had exchanged her second class tickets for third at the last minute, was returning from a winter in Sweden. They embarked at Southampton. Her husband Oskar Walter Johnson was a newspaperman.

Alice Elisabeth Vilhelmina Backberg, 24, was born 24 January 1885.

Elisabeth was married to editor Oscar Walter Johnson and lived with him and their children Harold Theodor and Eleanor Ileen in St. Charles, Illinois. She and the children were returning from a visit to Oscar's parents home in Ramkvilla, Småland, Sweden. They traveled via Malmö (where they bought their tickets) and Copenhagen. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton.

Elisabeth and her children got into one of the last lifeboats on starboard side either lifeboat 13 or 15. A man, probably Gunnar Tenglin stepped out of the lifeboat to offer a place. After that he found there was still room left in the lifeboat and stepped back in.

In New York she was quartered on St. Lucas Hospital, where Red Cross gave them an unknown sum of money and a new trunk. 24 April she traveled via Chicago on her way home to St. Charles. Her husband died in 1917, she then married Carl Peterson who died in 1964. Elisabeth Peterson (late Johnson, née Berg) died 19 December 1968.

In later years Eleanor worked at the Elgin Watch Company, she later became a telephone operator until retiring in 1962. She was married to Delbert Shuman and they had one son, Earl. Eleanor Shuman (née Johnson) died 7 March 1998.

Harold Theodor Johnson died 10 August 1968 and is buried in Little Woods Cemetery, St. Charles, IL

Annie Kelly
Aged 21, born in early 1891 in Cuilmullagh, Co Mayo, Ireland to John Kelly and Ellen Flaherty; Claimed to be the last woman to escape from the Titanic in a lifeboat. She was traveling from Cuilmullagh to Chicago to join her sister Beatrice Kelly, 303 West Eugenie St and her cousins Anna and Mary Garvey. Anna boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger, joining a group of passengers leaving Co Mayo, led by Katherine McGowan.

Kelly said that the stewards did not wake the steerage passengers in time the night of the collision. Those third class passengers who became alarmed and went up on deck were told to go back as there was no danger. Annie was saved in lifeboat 16 after, she claimed, the Bourkes vacated and made room for her to enter. Later, she was haunted by the "wild scenes on the boat just before it went down."

Kelly was hospitalized in New York City and later traveled from New York with fellow survivor Anna McGowan. They had been released from the hospital wearing their nightgowns, old shoes someone had given them, and coats. They were met in Chicago by Dr. Mary O'Brien Porter of the Catholic Woman's league protectorate. Dr. O'Brien Porter appealed to the Mayor of Chicago to give some of the funds raised in the city to the two young women.

After the disaster Anna became a nun, and upon ordination assumed the name of Sister Patrick Joseph Kelly. She did return to Ireland to visit her sister, Mrs Agnes Kelly Flanagan of Gortnaden, Crossmolina, Co Mayo. Anna resided in Adrian, Michigan until her death in December 1969. Read
her story

Mr. Nikola Lulic
- Going to Chicago. Boarded Vessel at Southampton
Mr Nikola Lulic was born on 24 February 1883 in the small village Konjsko Brdo, situated in the region of Croatia called Lika. While serving in the Austrian Army, in 1902, he decided to desert and leave for America. He went to Chisholm, Minnesota and worked as a miner in the "Alpena Mine". In autumn 1911 he came back to Croatia for half a year to visit his family. At this time he already was married for the second time (he had been married to his first wife Manda for 7 years). His second wife Marta and his two children lived in Croatia. When it was time to go back to America he served as unofficial companion to other emigrants who paid his ticket. He helped them with translation and advised them what to expect during the voyage and after arriving in America.

Lulic boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger. Mr Lulic survived the sinking and was rescued by the Carpathia in lifeboat 15. In New York his companion, Jan Jalsevac, gave the circumstances of his rescue:

"as to my friend Nikola Lulic, I have to say, that he was rescued by fetching the cap of a sailor, which he put on his head. So he could make his way to a boat."

After arriving in New York, Lulic went to his uncle Ross Rosinic at 118 Torrence Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. His Americanized name was "Nicola Lulich". After the first world war Lulic returned to Croatia forever. He earned his living as a farmer, but worked many times in France as a seasonal worker between the wars. He was accompanied by his two sons. Long before his own death, his wife Marta died, so he had to look after the many children of his two marriages alone. In his older days he secluded himself more and more from his fellow inhabitants of Konjsko Brdo. Nikola Lulic died in 1962 in Perusic, Croatia, aged 79, in the house of his youngest daughter Mara. His grave is also in Perusic.

Mary Mangan
- aged 32, from Carrowskehine, Co Mayo, Ireland born in September 1879, the daughter of John Mangan and Bridget Bourke. Mary had been living in America with her sister Ellen for some years, and Mary was engaged to a Pat Walsh. In 1912 they had returned to Carrowskehine to visit relatives. She was returning to Chicago with 13 others who she knew from her area in Co Mayo.
She boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger. Mary had lived in America with her sister Ellen for several years, but returned to visit her home. Mary traveling with a group from the county Mayo area (see Katherine McGowan) to Chicago, Illinois where she was to be married. Mary died in the sinking. Her body was recovered by the MacKay Bennett (#61) and was buried at sea on 22 April 1912.
CLOTHING - Green waterproof; black coat; skirt; blouse; red cardigan jacket; black button boots with cloth uppers.
EFFECTS - One gold watch, engraved inside "M. Mangan" and photo, and outside "M. Mangan"; gold locket with hair and photo as in watch, engraved "Mary"; gold chain; beads in pocket; brass belt buckle; medallion round neck; diamond solitaire ring; gold bracelet "M. M."; wire gold brooch.

Margaret Mary Manion
- Sister of Edward Manion of 1843 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago.
Born in the townland of Loughanboy, Ahascragh, Co. Galway on 1 November 1883, the daughter of Lawrence Mannion and Margaret Small. She had two sisters, Cecilia and Mary. Margaret bought her ticket at the nearby village of Ballygar and set off for America with a group led by Martin Gallagher of Currafurry. Thomas Kilgannon, Thomas Smyth, Margaret and her friend Ellen Mockler were all from the parish of Caltra and were persuaded to come to America by Martin Gallagher who was visiting his family in Ireland after living in the United States for several years. She boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger .
After the Titanic collided with an iceberg, Margaret and Ellen Mockler were assisted to the Boat Deck by Martin Gallagher and Tom Kilgannon and were placed in Lifeboat 16. Upon arrival in New York City where her sister Mary was already living, Margaret became a domestic and lived there for seven years.

In 1919 she returned to her home in Ireland for a visit and married Martin Hopkins there. She lived in the village of Ahascragh where she raised her family, and spent the last eleven years of her life in the town of Clontuskert. She died in Clontuskert, Ireland on 15 May 1970.

Catherine McCarthy
- As with Mary Manion, there may be some confusion here. Chicago papers listed a Catherine McCarthy, survived, a sister of John McCarthy of 4431 South Wallace Avenue, Chicago.
From the Encyclopedia-titanica.org website:

Miss Catherine "Katie" McCarthy, 24, of Cahir, Co Tipperary, Ireland boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger . Her destination was Guttenburg, New Jersey. Miss McCarthy was rescued, possibly in lifeboat 15 or 16. Her traveling companions were Miss Kate Connolly, friend; Miss Katie Peters, friend; Mr Roger Tobin, friend. All perished.

Catherine McCarthy died Friday 12th November 1948 and is buried in St. Michaels Cemetery in Ballintemple, Tipperary, Ireland.

Her obituary on Saturday 20 November 1948 from the Tipperary Star:
Mrs. Catherine Croke, Ballintemple, Dundrum, whose death has occurred is believed to have been the last survivor in Ireland of the ill-fated Titanic. She was aged 21 at the time of the disaster and it was her first experience of being aboard a ship. When the tragedy occurred Mrs. Croke had a narrow escape from death, for at the last moment acting on instinct, she left a crowded boat and returned to the sinking ship. A few minutes later the boat capsized. She found refuge in the last boat to be launched and was the last but one to board it. The following morning a ship picked up the survivors. Mrs. Croke was a descendant of the McCarthys of Springhouse, an old Tipperary family. She is survived by her husband Mr. Jon Croke, farmer and merchant.

John Meehan (aka Meehon, Mechan)
- The U.S. Report lists him as having been lost; he was going to his sister, Nora Meehan of 4745 South Indiana Ave., Chicago. News accounts however reported that a John Meehan, brother of Mary Meehan, a domestic employed by M.W. Goodrich of 4458 South Drexel Blvd, was on the Titanic. A Mrs. John Worthington, of that address, reported as his sister, denied he was on the ship. Later, it was reported that Mary Meehan had received a cablegram from her mother in Ireland informing her that John had never left.
From the Encyclopedia-titanica.org website:
"Mr John Mahon, 22, of Currowhunane, Curry, Co Sligo boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger. John Mahon's body, if recovered, has never been identified."

His destination is listed on this site as both Patterson, New Jersey AND Chicago.

Carl Midtsjo
- born 4 August 1890, the son of Johan Hansen and Marie Midtsjø in Krøkstad, Ski, near Christiania (Oslo), Norway
He was one of the few third class males to survive the Titanic, embarking at Southampton and was a nephew of Mr. Anton Lund, 3263 West Fullerton Avenue, Chicago.
Like most single third class male passengers traveling alone he was quartered toward the bow possibly sharing with Johan Nysveen.
When the accident occurred Karl Albert and Johan Nysveen went up to the deck, Johan who was 61 years of age, realized that he probably couldn't be saved so he gave his coat and watch to Karl Albert. Karl Albert was given permission by First Officer Murdoch to climb down the tackle and into lifeboat 15. When he arrived in New York Karl Albert was sent to St. Vincent's Hospital from where he wrote to his brother on 19 April. Karl's claim in that letter that passengers had been shot attempting to enter the boats was used by some to justify the controversial portrayal of Officer Murdoch on the film Titanic.

After some days at the hospital Karl Albert traveled by train to Chicago. On the 26th of April 1912 he arrived in Chicago where he was immediately interviewed by the city largest Norwegian - American newspaper "Skandinavian".

Shortly after this, Karl Albert traveled to Cummings, North Dakota to give back to the relatives of Johan Nysveen his coat and watch. He stayed with them for some weeks, and told them about Johan Nysveen's last days on the Titanic.
On 15 September 1913 Karl was married to 25 year old Anna Christine Paulson from Wittenberg, Wisconsin. On January 5, 1915 their son Marvin Gilbert Midtsjø was born, and in 1917 they moved to Evanston, Illinois. Karl Albert got a job as a caretaker. In 1921 they moved back to Norway, but after a year they returned to the USA. They moved to Maywood, Illinois where Karl continued work as a caretaker, but around 1930 he started to work as a landscape gardener which he did for seven years until ill health forced him to stop. Karl Albert, even as a young man, suffered from hereditary heart disease and died 25 January 1939 in Maywood, Illinois at the age of 48. His wife and son then went to Wausau, Wisconsin where Mrs Midtsjø died in 1959. They both were buried in Chicago.

Their son changed his name to Marvin Midland (anglicized from the Norwegian) and lived in Denver, Colorado where he died on April 26, 1997.

In 1997 when the movie "Titanic" was presented in Norway. The county of Ski invited the relatives of Karl Albert Midtsjø for the premiere. Between them were three of his nephews and nieces who still remembered their uncle Karl Albert in the USA.
He is buried in Mt. Olive Cemetery in Chicago.

Pehr Fabian Oliver Malkolm Myhrman
Born 10 October 1893, at age 18, he was coming here from Sweden to live with his uncle John Nelson, at 6726 North Laflin St., Chicago. His body was never recovered.

Helmina Josefina Nilsson
- Boarded at Southampton. Final destination was Joliet, IL, care of Edward Sander.
Aged 26, she was born 19 February 1886, to farmer Johan Peter Nilsson and Anna Kristina Magnusdotter Åkerslund, of Ramkvilla, Småland, Sweden. She had four younger brothers Albin, Emil, Frans & Edvin, a younger sister Ida and two elder sisters Alfrida & Hanna.
Albin, Emil & Edvin had previously emigrated, changed their name to Lander and were working in the Chicago era. Helmina traveled together with Elin Braf, also from Ramkvilla. When the accident occurred, the girls dressed themselves and Helmina rushed away in advance while Elin was left behind to pick together a few things. Helmina reached (probably) lifeboat 13 and was saved. Elin was lost.

In New York she was given an unknown sum of cash and a ticket to Joliet.

In 1918 she married Albin Linder and they had two sons. After some years they returned to Sweden and lived at Hillefällan, Rörvik where they had a daughter. Helmina died in spring 1971.

+ Nils Martin Ödahl
- Aged 23, he was born 22 October 1888 to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson. He embarked at Southampton and was going to live with his uncle Mr. N.O. Nelson of 725 Warner Ave, Peoria, IL. Nils Martin Ödahl had gone to agricultural schools at Sweden and Denmark. He worked as an agricultural inspector in Rydsgård, Örsjö, Skåne, Sweden. He was traveling to the USA to study further before returning to work in Sweden.

Ödahl boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger, he died in the sinking and his body was never found.

Velin Orman
Boarding at Southampton, Chicago was her destination to the home of her "uncle", Henry Forsander, who was actually her fiancee.
14 March 1890 (or 1892), she was from Eks parish, Mariestad, Västergötland, Sweden. She was rescued in Collapsible C with fellow Swede Hilda Maria Hellström.
She died in Chicago, Illinois on 19 November 1966 and is buried in Chapel Hill Gardens West Elmhurst.

Paulsson Family
Mrs. Alma Paulsson (aka Alma Cornelia Pålsson) and children Gusta, Paul, Stina and Torborg
Five of the most tragic victims of the Titanic disaster must be the Paulsson Family, in which the mother and four children all perished. Mrs. Paulsson's husband, Nels Paulsson resided at 940 (or 938?) W. Townsend (or Thomas?) Street, who had come to Chicago two years before. Mrs. Paulsson, age 29, was the sister of Olaf Bergland, 2304 N. Springfield Ave. and Axel Bergland, 1725 N. Kimball Avenue.
On board the Titanic, Alma got to know August Wennerström. When the ship was sinking it took a long time to prepare the four children and Alma came too late for the lifeboats. She met Wennerström on the Boat Deck near collapsible A. Wennerström tried to hold on to two of the children as she had asked him to, but when water came up, Wennerström lost his grip and both disappeared.

Mrs Pålsson and the children boarded the Titanic at Southampton. They all perished in the sinking. Nils clung to the hope that stories about a rescued boy might refer to one of his children. He spent much money and time looking in vain for the boy, but eventually Mr Pålsson was informed at the Chicago offices of the White Star line that his family was among the missing.
Alma's body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett:

CLOTHING - Brown Coat; green cardigan; dark shirt; brown skirt under; boots; no stockings.
EFFECTS - Wedding ring; brass keeper; mouth organ; purse and two coins; a letter; 65 kroner; had four children with her; letter from husband, Neil Paulsson, 94 Townsend St, Chicago.

She was buried in Fairview cemetary in Halifax on 8 May 1912.
Nils remained in the USA, dying in 1962.

Ernst Ulrik Persson (aka Ernest Person)
- Boarding in Southampton, his destination was 3546 LaSalle Street, Chicago (or Indiana Harbor, IN)
Born in Sweden on July 29, 1886, he was immigrating to America, together with his sister Elna Ström and niece Telma Matilda Ström it is believed that they occupied cabins on G deck (possibly room 6 or 7). They were traveling to Indiana Harbor, IN where Elna Strom had been settled for some time.

Ernst described the terrible experience of the sinking in a letter to his wife.

When Elna and I came up all lifeboats were crowded at that time no rescue was found. We stood together all the time, so we agreed to accompany each other into the deep. But as the boat sunk and the water started pouring over the deck there was a terrible sight and scuffle and that separated us. Then I heard Elna saying "Tell Wilhelm and my parents and sisters if you get rescued." Then I didn't see her any longer because then we were all washed overboard. When I came into the water I sunk several meters below the surface so as I came up again, I had a roof of wreckage over my head. I managed to come up in it and got hanging for a good while, but when the last part of the boat started to sink, so I had to leave the wreckage and try to swim away, otherwise I once again would have been dragged down into the deep. As I swam, I saw how people in the water tried to rescue themselves in an overloaded boat but as they hanged on the gunwale and all drowned and the boat turned the keel upwards, then I saw how some people climbed up on it, then I swam away towards it and was taken up. On this boat was only Italians and it was crowded, that it floated nearly one meter below the water. There I had to lie for six hours with the water up to my shoulders. Then we were taken up in a lifeboat that rowed us to the big boat that had come to rescue us.

Elna and Telma Ström were lost in the sinking, Persson's account suggests that he was rescued on one of the collapsible boats that were floated off the ship, probably collapsible B.

Ernst's wife Anna and sons Ernst Folke and Ernst Tage came to join him in America in October of 1912, two more children were born later. By 1914 Ernst had changed his name to Ernest Pearson, worked as a bricklayer at the Standard Forgings company (the same company as Wilhelm Strom) and lived with his family at 3725 A Carey Street, Indiana Harbor, Indiana. The family later moved to Hammond, Indiana. Ernst's wife appears to have predeceased him. Ernst himself died on 17 October 1951, aged 65. He was buried in Elmwood cemetery, Hammond, Indiana.

Abraham W. Weller (aka Aaron Willer/Weller)
Originally from Russia, aged 37, a tailor, he had lived in America for several years but returned to London after the failure of his business. He was returning to America to start a new business. Married with five children, he embarked at Cherbourg, returning to his family at 1330 South Halsted St., Chicago. He perished in the sinking and his body was never recovered. In May, 1912, it was reported that his family intended to file suit seeking damages of $10,000. It was considered the first "Titanic suit" to be filed in Cook County.

Mr August Wennerström (August Edvard Andersson)
- Age 27, was born 24 April 1884 to Knut Andersson and Elna Månsdotter. He was a journalist, typographer and socialist activist living in Malmö, Sweden. His socialist activities included the publication, in 1905, of "Gula Faran" (the yellow danger) and thereafter he was known under that nickname. The paper, which described the King Oscar II as "King of thieves" was not appreciated by the authorities. Confiscation and charges followed. Wennerström himself was acquitted but he decided to emigrate in 1912. He bought himself a ticket in Copenhagen, to conceal his identity he took the name of his friend, later Minister of defense, Ivar Vennerström's name but spelt with a W, boarding the Titanic at Southampton.

On board the Titanic he got in company with other Swedes traveling via Esbjerg, among them Carl Olof Jansson and Gunnar Isidor Tenglin with whom he shared a cabin. After the collision Wennerström took some Swedish girls to the boats, he then returned to steerage.

As the Titanic went down he met Alma Pålsson and her children. He tried to hold on to two of the children, but lost them when they came into the water. He and Tenglin also found Edvard and Elin Lindell of Helsingborg, Sweden, who were part of the surge of steerage passengers who appeared on the Boat Deck in the ship's final moments. As the ship sank the group struggled up the sloping deck until it was too steep and, clasping hands, they slid back down close to collapsible A.

Wennerström recounted that even though he was quite close to the ship, he detected no suction as it descended. Once the ship went under Wennerström and Lindell climbed into the boat. Wennerström saw Mrs Lindell in the water and grabbed her hand. Weakened by the cold he was unable to assist her further and after a while she drifted away. Fearfully, the young man glanced over at the woman's husband but he was already dead.

"All the feeling had left us. If we wanted to know if we still had legs (or any other part) left, we had to feel down in the water with our hand. The only exercise we got was when someone gave up hope and died, whom we immediately threw overboard to give the live ones a little more space and at the same time lighten the weight of the boat."

In New York he was quartered at Salvation Army's cadet school and he created a minor scandal when he accused the Lutheran immigrant home of embezzlement. He received $25 and a train ticket from the Salvation Army committee and $100 from the Red Cross. At the Salvation Army in Chicago he met Namoi Johnson of Swedish origin and they moved to Culver, Indiana where he became a gardener. They had seven children.

August Wennerström died 22 November 1950 and is buried in Culver, Indiana.


Mr. Charles John Joughim
- The Titanic's chief baker, he was born in Birkenhead, Liverpool on 3 August 1878. A native of Southampton, he gave his address as Elmhurst Leighton Rd. He was on board the Titanic for her delivery trip from Belfast to Southampton after transferring from the Olympic. As Chief Baker he received monthly wages of £12.
He was the brother-in-law of G. Woodward, 2520 W. Washington Blvd, Chicago. He died 9th December 1956, and is buried in Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Paterson, New Jersey.

+ Harry John Stroud
- Born 11 Sept 1876 to John Stroud (ship steward) and Amelia Matilda Morey, the family lived on Anderson Road, Southampton, Hampshire. When he signed on to the Titanic, on 4 April 1912, he gave his address as 167 Shirley Road, (Shirley, Southampton). His last ship had been the Danube. As a saloon steward he received monthly wages of £3 15s.
At the time of his death, he was age 38 and employed on the Titanic as a saloon steward.
His brother, William J. Stroud, resided at 217 E. 31st St, Chicago.
Ted Stroud, possibly a relative of Harry's, was a second class steward on the Titanic.
Both men died in the sinking. Their bodies, if recovered, were never identified.

On the 28 April 1912 Harry's father led mourners at a memorial service for victims of the sinking

Back to the Main Index Page
©2007 K. Torp and Genealogy Trails