CUMBERLAND COUNTY, ILLINOIS
HARMONY FRIENDS MEETING
BY DATE McCOLLOUGH
McCollough, the son of Christian parents who conducted family worship
in home when as a small boy perhaps three years old, went to Sunday
School on horseback, and through the country, which was all in woodland
at the time, from near Timothy to Brushy Ridge school house. This
was a log building as were all the school buildings at that time.
He made several trips to this school house where they held Sunday
School. Hiram Fancher was the Supt. at that time. He was to
learn a Bible verse and quote it the following Sunday. Well
did he remember the verse when an old man of 80. "Train up a child in
the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from
it". He said "Chain Up a etc." everyone laughed.
After several trips over there some had the idea of
starting a Sunday School, Hard Scrabble School House or Loss Creek
(probably misspelled from Lost Creek) as we call it today. On the first
Sunday the house was nearly full and the interest was good. Julia
Boots now 82 is the only known living person present at the
meeting. They organized a Sunday School.
Prayer Meetings were held regularly.
In a few years a revival was held in the school
building. Many were converted and it was a mighty revival. It was
the first revival date he ever saw and as good as he has ever
There were many large families in the community at
that time and a Tom Brewer and another minister from Toledo held the
revival. Some he could remember were Bub Boots, Will Boots, John
Boots, Dave Williams, Bill Stewart, Marsh Stewart, all with large
Need of a church was recognized. Joel Williams
had moved over by Friends Grove and helped to raise funds. Hiram
Fancher owned land where the church stands and donated place for the
building. Did not have any trouble raising the funds.
The building was completed in the fall of 1876,
being the first church erected between Greenup and Charleston.
Joel Williams, then on his death bed, being very
interested in the church and keeping in close touch with it' progress
sent the name "Harmony" because of the unity and harmonious way
it had been erected. Joel Williams died on November 29th,
and the church was not altogether completed. But the house was
set in order and his funeral was the first service in the
A Methodist class was organized and continued
meetings for many years. Then some Quakers from the East
organized a class also, and the two worshipped together for several
years. They decided to separate and the Quakers helped the
Methodists build the Asbury Church.
The new building was completed in 1930 with the
dedication service first Sunday in June. George Jordan was pastor
at the time of the building of the new church and used the text
"So built we the walls for the people had a mind to work" Nehemiah 4.
In the year 1945, being the 69th anniversary of the
The cemetery had been there for years and was known
as the Peach Orchard. (located 2 miles North of Greenup)