On the night of the 9th inst., at Long Point, III., an attempt was made to rob Adams' Express car, the Vandalia railroad. The engine and express car were cut loose and the engineer killed. Burke, the express agent, barricaded the doors and kept the robbers at bay until help arrived. A more recent dispatch gives details of the attempted robbery and the murder as follows : Long Point, Ill., on the Vandelta railroad, where the attempted express robbery occurred, is situated in the middle of a dense woods, no person living within a mile and a half of the station. At midnight, on the 9th, when passenger train No. 5, bound east conductor Fraley and engineer Milo Ames in charge, stopped at the water tank, two men boarded the engine, one from each side, and ordered the engineer to start the engine. the engineer, after a few minutes' hesitation, obeyed the order. After the starting of the train one of the robbers remarked, "We will run the thing ourselves," and immediately both robbers fired at the engineer, killing him instantly. The fireman, who was standing upon the tender, ran to the rear of the train to alarm the trainmen, be having heard the conversation, and comprehending the situation at once. While this was taking place on the  engine a confederate of the robbers had detached the Adams Express car from the cars in the rear. The whole party of robbers then ran the train to a point about two miles from the station, where they stopped, and proceeded to the door of the express car, demanded admittance.—
The express messenger, Mr. Burke, told them that be was ready for them,and that if they  entered they would be dead men. the  robbers then commenced firing into the car, and the messenger says it seemed to him there was a dozen of them, as the shots came from and not very strong. The finding of a hammer used to knock out the coupling-pin may serve possibly as a clue to the murderers. The trainmen speak in very high terms of the pluck and courage displayed by Express Messenger Burke There is intense feeling among railroad men over the tragical death of Engineer Ames, and should his murderers be caught it is very generally believed that their prosecution would not cost the State anything Several suspected persons are  already in custody, and there is reason to hope that all the robbers will be caught. The railroad company offer $1000 reward for their apprehension.

Source:  Juniata sentinel and Republican.(Mifflintown, Juniata County, Pa.)  , July 14, 1875

Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette. Indianapolis, July 19. It is believed a new clue to the Vandalia murderer at Long Point has been discovered in the following additional particulars concerning the coats of mail now on exhibition at Terre Haute, which were related this evening by Henry Knippenberger, a saw manufacturer, doing business on South Illinois street: He states that on Tues, day, July 6th, two men came to his shop, bringing two sheets of sixteen gear Jessup steel, which they desired made into plates for the protection of the head, breast, and abdomen. The story that they had men working in a foundry which they desired lo protect, seemed plausible, and no questions were asked. On the following day only one of the men returned, who having taken and paid for the work, went to English & Over's foundry, two squares further south, on Pennsylvania street, where he ordered plates fitted to his body. Here a different story was told. The  fellow represented himself as proprietor of a planing mill at Terre Haute, who  had invented a new sawing machine which threw blocks about promiscuously, rendering it dangerous for workmen unless protected by coats of mnil. In fitting them, however, the steel must not be heated, as heating, he said, would make it brittle.   These orders were repealed several times, and he watched the workmen closely lest they should disobey,

This was on Wednesday, and on Thursday night the murder was committed Supt. Simpson, of the Vandalia road, visited Knippenberger this evening, and the latter's description of the plates he made agrees exactly with those on exhibition at Terre Haute. Knippenberger describes the fellow who returned on Wednestlay as a middle-sized man, with light complexion, sandy hair, light mustache, and weighing about 150 pounds, and thinks him about thirty-five years of age. This description    corresponds with that given by one of the men who threw away the armor, now hidden in the woods south of Vineennes. Knippenberger is certain he can identify the man for whom he made the armor. It. is not unlikely this may yet lead to the discovery of the murderers of poor Milo Earnes. Superintendent Simpson states that the Vincennes woods are surrounded, and whoever is concealed there must be starved out in a few days.

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette Tuesday July 20, 1875

Funeral of the Engineer Murdered on the Vandalia Line
(Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette)
Indianapolis July 11- A special to the Sentinel from Effingham, Ill says: Engineer Milo Eames, of Vandlia road, who was so brutally murdered at long Point water station on Friday last was buried at this place today with pomp and circumstance amounting to public demonstration. President McKlen ran a train of nine coaches from Terra Haute, conveying friends of the deceased, officers and members of Lodge 19 F. and A.M. and a full brass band. The services were held at the Presbyterian Church, and the remains taken in charge by the Masonic fraternity, and followed to the cemetery by a procession fully a mile long.
The people here are thoroughly aroused, and the telegraph offices are besieged for news. Short and swift would be the fate of any of the implicated parties should they be caught by the excited populace. Eames was a man universally beloved, and the bereaved family have today received such demonstration of respect as will not soon be forgotten.

Source: Knoxville Whig and chronicle.(Knoxville, Tenn.), July 21, 1875, Page 3, 

The Long Point Murder
Special Dispatch to tbe Cincinnati Gazette.
- Terra Haute, Ind., July 23.
James Owens was brought to this city, from Sullivan County under arrest this morning as one of the Loug Point murderers, two men, one named Leech and the other named Oliver Dudley, having captured him. He was much frightened and seemed to be terribly nervous, He is a hard case, but his innocence of the crime was determined after an examination, and he was released.
A rumor, to the effect that a mob had taken Edmond from the Effingham jail and lynched him, turns out to be one of the many lies which some sensational fools have been continually starting since this affair happened.

Source: The Long Point Murder Date: Saturday, July 24, 1875   Paper: Cincinnati Daily Gazette (Cincinnati, OH)   Page: 4 

St. Louis, 24.—The Globe: Democrat special from Terre Haute says that two men named Leander Kennedy, alias Allen Lee, and Columbus Voorhes, alias Frank Clarke, were arrested there yesterday for complicity in the Long Point murder and attempted express robbery. They show pretty conclusively that they did not actively participate in the murder, they being at Greencastle, Ind. at the time, but Mr. King, foreman of Engles & Owen's foundry, of Indianapolis, who made the armor found near the spot where the engine and express car were slipped, and Frank Glazer, who fitted the armor together, and who were brought here from Indianapolis, identified Kennedy and Voorhes on sight as the parties who had the armor made.  There seems to be no doubt that these men were in the plot, and it is thought they will turn State's evidence and reveal the names of all the persons concerned in the affair. They are confined, one at the jail and the other at the police station, to prevent communication between them. Cochran and Edmunds, who were committed yesterday, are in jail, one at Effingham and the other at Prairie City.

Source: Date: Monday, July 26, 1875 Paper: Cleveland Leader (Cleveland, OH) Page: 1

St. Louis. July 24.—A special from Terra Haute to the Globe - Democrat says: Two men, named Leondis Kennedy, alias Allen Lee, and Columbus Vorhees, alias Frank Clark, were arrested there yesterday for complicity in the Long Point murder an attempted express robbery. They show conclusively that they did wot actively participate in the murder, they being at Green Castle, Indiana, at the time, not Mr. King, foreman of England & Overs foundry of  Indianapolis, who made the armor found near the spot where the engine and express car stopped, and Frank Glazer, who fitted the armor together, were brought here from Indianapolis, who identified Kennedy and Vorhees on sight, as the parties who had the armor made. There is no doubt but these men were in the plot, and it is thought they will turn States evidence, and reveal the homes of all persons concerned in the affair. They are confined, one in  the jail and the other at the police station, to prevent communication between them. Cochran and Edmonds who were convicted yesterday, are now in jail, one at Effingham, and the other at Prairie City.

Source: The Andrew County Republican. (Savannah, Mo.)  , July 30, 1875,

They Are Taken In On The Information of a Prostitute
(By Telegraph to the Sentinel.)
Terra Haute, Feb. 23— Terre Haute was thrown into a furore of excitement this morning by the announcement that the perpetrators, of the Long Point Murder in July 1875. bad been arrested in this city. The arrests were made by Colonel A. C. Dewey and Captains Brown and Murphy of the Indianapolis police force, assisted by Sheriff Carrio of this county.

Information which led to the arrest was given to the Indianapolis officers by two prostitutes, Jennie and Maggie Williams, who are now in your city.

Several weeks since, while these women were inmates of a house of prostitution kept by Chas. St. Clair in this city, they overheard a conversation between St. Clair and a negro named Alex. Cauthorn, in which the details of the attempt to rob the express car at Long Point were rehearsed. This they related to Colonel Dewey, and he, acting upon this evidence, captured the whole gang.

The negro Cauthorn was induced to visit Indianapolis about two weeks since, where he was arrested and has been kept in solitary confinement until today. From him the officers gained much valuable information
The parties implicated are Charley St. Clair, keeper of a house of prostitution in this city. Alex, and Sam Cauthorn, two Negroes who were in the employ of St. Clair at the time: Billy Carr. son of a respectable citizen of Terra Haute: Jack
Splan and Bud Shewmaker. who were baggagerman on the Varndalia railroad at the time of the murder and Jennie Osgood, a prostitute.

Colonel Dewey says the robbery was planned at the house of St. Clair, and all of the parties exempt Splan and Shewmaker rendezvoused at Marshall Ill.

The woman Osgood was dressed in men's clothes. and wore a black mustache. She was one of the two persons who sprang upon the engine, and she was standing on the foot board when Eames, the engineer, was killed.
All of the parties above named except the woman Osgood and Jack Splan, were sent to Prairie City, Illinois, the county seat of Cumberland county.   The Oigood woman is still in jail in this city.
Jennie Wyning. the wife of St. Clair, has fled the city.

Source: The Indiana State sentinel (Indianapolis [Ind.] , February 28, 1877, SUPPLEMENT, Page 1,)

The Prosecution Rest and the Defense Officers a Large Amount of Proof
By Telegraph to the Sentinel
Greenup Ill. June 28 -Upon the convening of the court in the Long Point trial this morning considerable time was spent in waiting for the arrival of three important prosecuting witnesses, who failed to put in an appearance. A letter written by Aleck Cauthorn, from Indianapolis to his parents in Terra haute, in regard to his arrest in Indianapolis, charged with the Long Point murder, was offered as evidence, after which the prosecution rested.
for the defense was James Law. he was conductor on the Vandalia road during July, 1875, and Bud Shewmaker was his baggage-man. Shewmaker left Indianapolis on his regular run going west on the afternoon of the 8th of July, and arrived at St. Louis at 10:30 p.m.; saw Shewmaker there at that time. R.R. Bently testified that the books and records of the company showed that Shewmaker was on his regular run on the night of the murder, and arrived at St. Louis at 10:35 at night. Mrs. Heffner with whom Shewmaker boarded in St. Louis testified that he was in his room on the night the murder was committed. Shewmaker also testified the same; also that he never made a proposition to John Bain to go through an express car on the Vandalia road. John Meyer swore that St. Clair was in Terra Haute on the night of July 8 and the morning of the 9th. Mrs. T.B. Carr, the mother of Bill Carr, swore that he was at home on the night of the 8th and morning of the 9th. The father of Carr also testified to the same. C.E. Vandever stated that he met St. Clair between 8 and 9 o'clock on the morning of the 9th, and St. Clair told him of the murder of Milo Eames. he also testified that he made several arrests of persons on suspicion soon after the murder, and brought King and Glazier from Indianapolis to identify them. The former thought that one of the men by the name of Kennedy was the man who got the armor made. glazier thought not G.W. Shewmaker, ex-chief of police of Terra Haute, testified that he was in possession of the knowledge upon which the prisoners were arrested a year ago, but thought it of no importance and a put up job, and still thinks so. Bill Carr testified in his own Behalf that he was in Terre Haute on the night of July 8, and staid from 10 o'clock at night until 4 o'clock in the morning with St. Clair at his house. This testimony was corroborated by Lucinda Weldon, who cooked their breakfast on the morning of the 9th. there is considerable excitement here, and the evidence for the defense will probably be all in by noon tomorrow. Eli Thompson and policeman Slusher, of indianapolis, have been telegraphed for by the prosecution, and are expected to arrive tomorrow noon

Source:  Date: Friday, June 29, 1877 Location: Indianapolis, Indiana Paper: Indianapolis Sentinel

The Case Given to the Jury, who Returned a Verdict of Not Guilty Greenup, III, June 20.—The argument in the Long Point murder trial was concluded this afternoon, And the jury retired at 4:40.Thomas E. Warner and, James M. Cropsey made speeches on the part of the prosecution and Judge Decins and Major Wilkins for the defense. Mr. Cropsey spoke for three hours. It is the prevailing opinion that the jury will disagree. There is considerable excitement and the town is crowded, A great many think that one or more of the accused will be acquitted, but it is the general supposition that St. Clair will be held.
The following notes have just arrived here from Prairie City, Sam Cauthorn; one of the accused, bringing it down on horseback. It is addressed to Major Wilkins, and written by one of the prosecuting attorneys. "Verdict of not guilty.' God bless you. Everybody happy. John E Lamb."

When the verdict was announced, the court house was literally packed, and rent the air with cheers. All leave tonight for Terre Haute.

Date: Monday, July 2, 1877  Paper: Indianapolis Sentinel (Indianapolis, IN)  Volume: XXVI  Issue: 183  Page: 7 

Return To The Main Index