Photos contributed by James Winnett
The first school
started in Neoga was in
a small one room frame building in the East end of town. There were
eight pupils enrolled
in this first six month term.
This one-room school was in use until 1867 when a two story frame
building was erected. In 1896 this structure
was destroyed by fire and was replaced by an eight-room brick building.
Due to increased enrollment and the demand for higher educational advantages the school was regraded in 1884 and a 3 year high school curriculum was added. Six young ladies comprised the class of 1887 which was the first class to complete the high school course in Neoga as well as the first in
The two story eight room grade school building housed both the high school and grade school from 1884 until 1909, when the increasing attendance of rural students made it necessary to organize the high school district and erect a suitable high school building. The site of the first building at the east edge of Neoga has not been changed throughout the years. This marked the beginning of the Neoga Township High School.
A change in School Code in 1947, permitting the formation of community school units, brought about a major change in our school system. In 1948 the rural one room schools were abandoned and the smaller districts were absorbed in a larger unit, marking the change from the
With the forming of this new school unit came increased enrollment and need for added classroom facilities. Four additional classrooms were constructed from the old study hall in the high school building to be used as a junior high school, but the junior high school students were later moved to the new Elementary school building which was built in 1960. The old gymnasium was changed to two stories to house the community room, cafeteria, music rooms, and farm shop.
A modern physical education plant was added to the building and it was dedicated on
The school enrollment has continued to grow and classes added as the need arose. In 1973 there were 315 students in the high school with 15 full time faculty members, 5 part time, a principal, and secretary and library aide. Many of the students are brought to school in the fleet of 17 buses.
The largest class to graduate from the high school was 65 in 1970.
|Class of 1887||Class of 1889||Class of 1891||Class of 1893|
|Class of 1895||Class of 1897||Class of 1899||Class of 1901|
Swengel, Fred B.
|Class of 1902||Class of 1903||Class of 1904||Class of 1905|
Voris, Louis Kirkam
Swengle, Clarence Edwin
|Class 1906||Class 1907||Class of 1908||Class of 1909|
First class to graduate
from M.E. Church
First class to graduate from the
New High School Building
May 29, 1940
President- Majorie Young
Vice President- John Jacobson
Sec.-Treasure- Margaret Wente
|Board Of Education
President- Dr. S.E. Bigler
Secretary- Mr.O.E. Young - Mr. E. G. Brick
Mr. W.H. Bingham - Mr. R.E. Strohm
Mary Alice Brown
Daisy Bell Greeson
Mary Alice Ralston
Evelyn Alexander and Pat Williamson This is the first of three feature
articles about Neoga schools and educators.
during the last 50 years.
In 1948 voters in and around Neoga approved the formation of Neoga Community Unit #3. Numerous area one-room school houses were closed and busing of students to central locations began. Students were housed at Etna, Trowbridge, Pioneer School on Rt.121 and Neoga Elementary and High Schools. Eventually the schools at Etna and : Trowbridge were closed and grades one through eight were taught at Pioneer' School and Neoga Elementary. In the 1949-1950 school year, junior high school for grades 7-8 was formed in the high school building. In 1959, by a vote of 547 to 709, approval was given to sell $350,000 in bonds to build Neoga Elementary and Junior High School on West Sixth St. Junior high school student were then moved from the high school to the new building. The elementary students in Pioneer Elementary School and Neoga Elementary School were combined with the configuration of 'the grade levels in each building changing as needed. In 1954 a new gymnasium was built for Neoga High School, and the old gym was converted to a cafeteria, band room and farm shop, On March 12, 1977 ground was broken for Neoga Junior-Senior High School on East Seventh St. The building was built around] the existing gymnasium and the old high school building was demolished. Junior high: students were then moved to the new building. In 2003 Neoga Middle School, housing grades for four through six was opened in the new building behind the high school, and Pioneer Elementary School was closed. Presently. grades preschool through three attend Neoga Elementary School, grades four through six attend Neoga Middle School and grades seven through twelve attend Neoga Junior-Senior High School.
base ball is a gentleman's and gentle ladies' game," said Lee
a semi-retired cultural
in. interpreter with the Macon County Conservation District, in his
1860 persona as Joseph Trobaugh, "owner"
of the Ground Squirrels. "The game is played for fun, friendship and
education. While teams try their very
best to win, the real purpose of the game is to give spectators a
glimpse , into our past and the
origins l of our national pastime."
Vintage base ball is on the schedule for Friday night during Neoga's
Sesquicentennial in September.
Carol Walk and the Sesqui committee are looking for players. Anyone interested - in playing should contact her at 895-3286. "We would like to have between 16 and 20 players of various ages, but if we have more than that, it would. be great, Walk said. No special equipment is required, though players might want to wear rubber cleats. Players do not need gloves. The only thing they are asking is that players purchase a Sesquicentennial t-shirt and come up with nicknames for themselves.
(contributed by Bob Young)