GREENUP: Not Dead
by Bobbie Claire Goodman
- In recent years, a favorite topic of some metropolitan Illinois
journalists has been to launch an offensive against small towns with reference to
Such descriptive adjectives as
"ghostly, "lifeless", "drowning" and "defunct." are applicable to the subject
and though these news stories are becoming a bit repetitious, they achieve their response via a barrage of
"Letters to the Editor" from outraged citizens of said small towns. The
most recent attack has had
Greenup as its objective and appeared in a Chicago paper on Sept. 29,
1972. Regarding the impact of
Interstate 70 on the village of Greenup, the advice given was:
"Travelers whizz by like Greenup wasn't even here." ... "Forget it!"
Aparently the journalist was not
aware that daily during the tourist season and holiday weekends,
upwards of 1,000 of these
motorists apply their brakes long enough to eat at the Dutch Pantry and
refuel at the new service stations on the
interchange, many of whom inquire
about the downtown shops, overnight accommodations and stop in the shade of the village square to picnic and
rest before continuing on their way. The East End intersection remains forlorn
and the high-way took three businesses with it. Three took their place
nearer the interchange. With
the annexation by the village council of additional property near 1-70 projected for the coming year, it is not
likely that Greenup will be forgotten.
For the first time in many years,
every downtown business building is occupied with the exception of the Greek's Candy Kitchen which has been
closed since the late Angela and Sam Loomis went to Greece eleven years
ago. Family members from
Chicago are in Greenup each weekend making building repairs with the
intent of re-opening the
Numerous persons who grew up in the
community have purchased homes or building sites with a move "back home" in mind for their retirement. In addition
to continuous remodeling of older dwellings, 100 new homes have been
constructed in the community
in the past fifteen years, 10 more near the Cumberland Campus, and of
these, 16 have been built since the new Interstate was begun.
A beautification program was begun
last year by various organizations in a "Work Together" project and the Village Council actively indorsed a
clean-up campaign by passing legal ordinances to promote the health,
safety and welfare of the
public. Ordinances deal with the definition, prevention and abatement
of nuisances such as trash and
rubbish, animal carcasses, stagnant water, noise, air and land
pollution, weeds, traffic obstructions, delapidated structures, livestock, open
or unguarded excavations, toilet facilities, inoperative motor vehicles, location and regulation of places of
business of dealers in junk and regulation of mobile homes .or similar
Village officials reserve inspection
rights, and after serving written notice, may evoke fines and penalties
or institute legal action to
abate the nuisance. .
The board has had the ordinances
under study for several years, however previously had no legal document
to enforce such laws. John P.
Ewart, a native of Greenup, and member of the firm of Craig and Craig
of Mattoon was retained as village attorney. .
Utilities were made available to
existing homes .and new residences under construction on South Mill
Street by annexation of
property a half mile south and completion of electricity and gas and
water lines under ' the Penn-Central railroad. More homes were serviced by a
sewage system extension to the end of North Delaware street.
The last payment, retiring $50,000 in
bonds, was made on the Municipal building. The $80,000 center which
houses village offices,
maintenance and fire departments and a civic auditorium was constructed
in 1962 and financed entirely
with local funds. Greenup .city employees were granted a 5.5 per cent
The board is currently investigating
employment of a deputy to assist the chief of police. Recent purchases
include two new half ton
trucks and one used truck for the street and alley department. Work on
the water tower, at a cost of
$7,600, included draining, cleaning, seam welding and painting. The new
color is sea green and has
"Greenup" lettered on two sides.
The Greenup cemetery was
substantially increased by the township's purchase of the Mullen
Addition, thus making available
for sale, 325 new lots.
It's Moving Ahead
New businesses included the 500
Platolene Service Station, Bus's Restaurant, Naomi's Fabric Shop,
Daphena's Beauty Shop, Paul's Repair and towing Service, Smyser's
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Devall's Construction, Old Trails
Public Auction and Linda's Wig and Wiglet Shop. Dr. R.L.Redman, a
chiropractor of Springfield and native of Greenup, took over the
practice of the late Dr. Lowell Newlin on a two-day per week basis.
Mrs. Newlin remained as office receptionist. Mr. and Mrs. Charles (Bud)
Mitchell remodeled the interior of their Chevrolet Agency with wood
paneling, new offices and a service-parts counter and storage area.
They purchased the site of the Winnett Hotel (formerly Greenup's oldest
landmark, the historic 141 year old Barbour Inn), razed the
building and converted the corner into a car and truck
Jay's IGA Supermarket has undergone extensive face lifting with a new
mansard roof, brick and iron grillwork and new Foodliner signs.
The Greenup-Toledo Builders Supply Co. gave the exterior of the
lumberyard a more modern look with cedar siding and shake shingle
roofing. Mr. and Mrs. John Kelly of Alhens, Tenn., and Mr. and Mrs. Ray
Rowenhorst of Centralia. members of Triple A and associated with
Friendship Inns, purchased the Five Star Motel. The Rowenhorsts assumed
management and began a program of upgrading the facilities.
Following his purchase of the Kirk Ford Sales in Toledo. Lendon Darling
assigned management and operation of Mac's Service Station to the Finn
Brothers. Vic Brooks, a Greenup businessman for 36 years, continues
employment at the Radio and TV Sales which he sold to George Seiler.
McDonald's Welding Shop, constructed last year on Elizabeth street, has
proved to be a lucrative venture requiring larger quarters and has
relocated in the Virgil Freeman building on East Cumberland Street..
Don Barnes entered the association of Carlen's TV Sales and Service,
making the firm a partnership. D.L; Trigg, of Janesville, purchased the
Pool Room operated by the late David Beavers. The Ettelbrick Shoe
Company instituted a recognition program whereby service pins were
presented to employees with from five to 45 years of employment at the
Haughton Park continues lo expand its
facilities. Under sponsorship of the Land of Lincoln Club, aided by
many civic organizations, a picnic pavilion was constructed, and
playground equipment painted and repaired and moved from the village
square to the park site.
A stone entrance sign was a project of the Kiwanis Club as well as a
directional sign, made by the high school industrial arts class and set
by the village, on Cumberland (Main) Street. Transformers have been
installed to light the second ball diamond, with plans to go to mercury
vapor lighting and add fencing on the larger diamond under discussion.
The tennis court has been poured and the asphalt made an inch thicker
than the basketball courts, with flooding for winter ice skating still
being considered, Plans call for lighting these areas for night time
Members of the Historical Society have been assured the cooperation of
the Village Council and are seeking the assistance of other
organizations and individuals in the depot project. It is desired to
move the railroad depot to the park for Scout meetings, equipment
storage and general public use.
Although each organization has its "pet project" even less physically
active club members continue with support for each other when donations
are called for in the "Work Together" programs, which, in addition to
Haughton Park, include charitable acts such as remembering needy
families and individuals at Christmas and periodic gifts and
entertainment for residents of the two nursing-care facilities.
The Kiwanian's Easter Egg Hunt, Little League wiener roast,
home lighting contest and the Greenup Women's Club's
Halloween celebration are numbered among the worthwhile
activities that have become annual events. Continuous projects are the
Civic Club's Redbud Lane and the Chamber of
Commerce's sidewalk sales and cash awards.
Currently on the scene is the Kiwanis tree replacement program to begin
this spring and the town clock project, backed by the Monday Nite
Club. The Santa Claus house, sponsored last year by the Land of Lincoln
Club, received new wood paneling, a red fireplace and a mail box with
letter answering service. This group, along with the C of C and
Kiwanis were active with new Christmas events such as a registry for
children's prizes, turkey awards and a free hotdog, doughnut and coffee
day for Christmas shoppers in 1972.
Area fishermen showed enthusiasm for the recently organized Bass Club.
Richard Lyons, Scoutmaster of Greenup
Troop 58 for the past 19 years, retired and the position was accepted
by Frank Kuhn with Bruce Fiscus as assistant scoutmaster.
Easter Sunrise services were held and the cornerstone laid at the Mt.
Zion (Block) Church which was rebuilt and rededicated following its
destruction by the tornado of December 1971, Rev. Carl Holt, formerly
of Maumee, Ohio, was installed as pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church, filling the vacancy left by the retirement of Rev. Paul
Significant improvements at the Cumberland County Fairgrounds were made
and included a $1.200, 45-foot addition to the 4-H barn and new fencing
and gates near the stage area of the race track.
An active Parent Teachers
Organization sponsors the annual grade school, carnival and uses the
proceeds for school needs. The board of education voted to pay the
balance remaining from $850 tendered by the PTO for bleachers for one
side of the gymnasium.
The new Prescription Learning Corporation at Cumberland elementary is
now providing for math as well as reading needs with 45 stations in the
unit. The central lab handles approximately 140 children per day from
grades 2 through 8 with mini labs for the expanded programing of
students in 3, 4 and 5 not involved in the central lab work.
Two new language arts programs developed by New Dimensions in Education
have been incorporated at the primary and junior high schools;
designated as Alpha Time, for beginners, with active participation and
visual mediums for learning the alphabet, and Alpha One, multi sensory
reading and spelling emphasizing' word mastery through phonics.
The Great Books Program, a discussion and shared inquiry method, is now
offered as an elective in the 6, 7 and 8th grades. Primary age students
are participating in a physical development program in the cafeteria
which utilizes record players, films, balls, jump ropes and indoor
obstacle course equipment.
Cumberland high school continues to expand its services to an
increasing student body. In operation, and available to all
departments, is a new wireless lab, using earphones and tapes, which
provides six different programs going into classrooms simultaneously.
An independent study program provides students, with academic ability
in this field, with an extra year of science.
Cumberland has one of the best equipped weather stations in the state
which was recently installed near the Unit offices. Plans were
submitted by Mr. Roberts of WCIA and include recording anemometer,
hygrometer, thermometer, barometer, dew point apparatus and rain gauge.
A new industrial arts club, named "Little Shavers" was formed, bowling
introduced into the Girls Physical
Education program and a golf team organized for spring play and
competition.Driveways and parking lots were resurfaced and four new
mercury vapor lights purchased. Reseeding of Pirate
Field is scheduled for spring. In the planning stage are consolidation
into a Multi-County
Educational Service Region as well as Vocational Co-op programs and
Night Adult Education Classes in conjunction with Lake Land Junior
Add to High School
Bids will be open in January for an
$80,000 to $110,000 addition to the high school, providing space for
four to five new classrooms. The 55 by 72 foot extension, designed by
Lee Gatewood of Mattoon, will be added to the south of the study hall.
Construction is scheduled for completion by the fall of 1973.
Two of Cumberland's administrators, Unit Superintendent Harold Garner
and Elementary Principal Pat Smith, received their doctorate degrees.
The board of directors of the Cumberland Nursing Center is studying the
extension of facilities. Originally, a 24-bed addition to the present
structure was desired, however members have been meeting with the FHA
to discuss a Shelter-Care Home, to be constructed north of the present
center, as a more favorable plan. Work has begun on the red brick
foundation for a new sign for the Center; a project of the Nursing
The State if Illinois, which at the present time rents a building in
the business district and uses its property south of the Route 121
cutoff for parking highway equipment, is in the process of surveying
for the construction of a new state maintenance building at the site.
Install Storm Sewers
Last year the village installed new
storm sewers to take care of roof water for businesses on the north
side of main street, however the alley which runs behind is too high
and causes water to flow into the back of stores during heavy rainfall.
Lowering the alleyway as a solution to the problem is being studied by
Greenup's first increase in water rates in 33 years was seen at the end
of 1972. Monthly charges are now $3 for the minimum (1500 gallon) and
15 cents for each 100 thereafter. 30c for purchasers outside the
According to Mayor Bill Eastern, the city must have quality water to
meet state specifications and the rate
increase and water tower repair are the forerunners of the city's major
project for 1973, a new water filtration and treatment plant. The
Greenup National Bank is purchaser of the $160,000 in revenue bonds
Some pipe have already arrived for the river crossing from the pumping
station to the plant site. Contracts were awarded to Keefer Brothers of
Mt. Vernon for the pipe line construction and to Nolan Building Supply
of Stonington for the building, fillers and pump controls. The 30 by 70
foot building, to be constructed of brick aid concrete block at the
water lower site will contain chemical feed equipment, filters,
laboratory and offices with adequate room for softeners if recommended
a: a later date. Plans for a new sanitary sewage and treatment plan to
comply with state regulations are in the hands the EPA for approval and
are awaiting state and federal funding.
Mayor Easton wishes to have his newly appointed City Planning
Commission in operation by the first of the year.
Traffic signals at the intersection
of U.S. 40 and III. Rte. 130 were removed in favor of two-way stop
-control to require route 40 traffic to stop for state 130 traffic as a
result of the Increased volume of vehicles with the opening of 170
The State of Illinois which at Planning Commission in operation by the
first, of the year.
In a progress report one would not be expected to tear asunder, however
in retrospect it appears that with a progressive-minded mayor and
village council combined with civic-minded citizens in community
service, one fact remains: Greenup is not dead. Greenup Is moving ahead
Effingham Daily News Friday
December 29, 1972
GREENUP - The Cumberland
County Historical Society, led In the long-sought project by Mrs. Nora
Sperry, purchased the Greenup RaiIroad Depot from Illinois Central Gulf
of Chicago for the cost of $25.
Historical Society Buys
Landmark At Greenup
Bobbie Claire Goodman
It was moved June 17 to Haughton Park, donated to the village,
and will he restored for public use as time and funds permit.
The old building is said to be one of only two (the other located in
Casey) original depots in the area and though exact date is not known,
it was constructed prior to the year1890.
Through the years, many hobbyists have visited here to see its
measurements for use in their scale model railroad
The Vandalia Railroad (Pennsylvania) came through Greenup in 1869 and
was owed by the Peoria. Decatur Evansville (Illinois Central) in 1877.
At this time, the tracks crossed. The Pennsylvania constructed a grade
near the IC in about 1927.
Both railroad companies had depots in the same area (near the village
light plant on South Mill St. ). however, the I.C. depot burned down,
the present Pennsylvania building was moved, and they consolidated into
a joint agency, or Union
Station. It consisted of an office, waiting room, and freight house
downstairs with the four upstairs rooms used as the agent's living
quarters. At one time, public dances were held up-stairs.
Around 1918. it became a favorite Sunday evening outing for the
villagers to go down and watch what was known as "The Bob" come through
on its way from St. Louis to Indianapolis. "Special Excursions." with
bargain rates, afforded the
opportunity to attend the circus in Mattoon and other events held in
"The Junction House", a hotel, provided meals and lodging at the site
in the early days. Later, an old dray was used to transport passengers
and express uptown. In 1900. John Jacob Astor, New York millionaire,
stopped here to
have his shoes shined. umbrella brushed, and purchase cigars as he was
changing trains from the " I C Officer's Special" to the No. 2.
bound for New York. His excessive gratuities for valet services in the
amounts of 50 cents and $I created enough talk to record the story.
The I.C. ran its last passenger train on July 24. 1939; however tickets
were sold for the Pennsy until the mid 1960s. The depot continued as a
freight and express agency and Western Union office until March 7. 1967
when the last agent and
telegraph operator. William Kent, retired.
The railroads brought with them many "kings of the road" whose
campfires could be seen along the tracks near the station and whose
daily rapping at the backdoors of the local housewives meant a request
for a "hand-out".
Though the window lights have fallen prey to vandalism, the old grey
building still retains its charm and many citizens followed its journey
to 'its new home at Haughton Park. Flowering crab apple trees, planted
near the site by
the Civic Club, will in time provide landscaping for the village
landmark. A dedication is planned for the future.
The Historical Society will be restoring relics such as spikes and
anchors found on the premises to sell as paper-weights and
candleholders as a fund-raising project to defray the expenses of
moving and renovation.
Donations are being sought from clubs and individuals and may be sent
to: Mrs. Olive Holsapple. Mary Holt or Nora Sperry, Greenup.
Effingham Daily News Friday
July 30, 1973
Greenup's Landmark Goes
GREENUP - The village of Greenup
established its town; around the old Barbour Inn With its demise,
Monday, Oct 30, 1972. many citizens interested in historical lore were
reluctant to see the 141-year-old landmark go.
by Bobbie Claire Goodman
A crowd began to gather a 8:90 a.m. to witness the razing operation
which was completed under direction of Taylor Construction Co., by two
machines in 1 1/2hours.
Both fable and fact was passed along in conversation from one bystander
to another as viewers reminisced about the days when Concord Coaches,
drawn by six horses covering ten miles per hour, stopped to pick up
passengers at the old roadside tavern and inn.
Operated last as the Greenup Hotel by Mr and Mrs. Lee Winnett, the
establishment closed its doors to the public three years ago and the
property has been purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles (Bud) Mitchell to
be used for their Chevrolet Agency display lot.
Many fascinating stories are told concerning the celebrated stage coach
stop on the old Cumberland Trail. According to tradition, when Tom and
Sarah Bush Lincoln's 13-member family group left their Indiana home in
1830, the caravan traveled via the Palestine (later called York) Road
and made their overnight encampment nearby.
Twenty-one year old Abe offered his services to assist a group of men
building a well of native stone on the northeast corner of the
According to an old guest registry, Lincoln was a visitor at the hotel
on several occasions He gave a campaign speech, when running for state
office, under a poplar tree on the old Ely Place, which adjoins the
hotel site on the south.
In 1831, Joseph Barbour bought 160 acres, at $1.25 per acre, from the
US. Government Land Office and erected the Traveler's Inn.
Pioneer settlers, soldiers of fortune, actors, salesmen, and
legislators, as well as a future President, spun yarns about the Indian
legends and prairie wilderness, ate, drank, sang and occasionally
engaged in fisticuffs within its walls Frank, brother of the infamous
Jesse James, availed himself of its rooming and boarding services while
in Greenup where he acted as official race starter for the Cumberland
County Fairs in the 1880's.
Barbour donated lots for the establishment of the town, along with
William C. Greenup, for whom it was named. Greenup. Clerk of the
Legislative Council and House of Representative in 1815 and Secretary
at the First Constitutional Convention of 1818, was employed by the
U.S. Government as superintendent of the building of the
transcontinental highway from Terre Haute, Ind. to Vandalia, III.
The Barbour Inn had a succession of owners. It became a hotel with the
construction of the Greenup House by Cap;. Ed Talbot, and was purchased
from John Sheplor in 1854 by Charles Conzet "Uncle Charlie" entertained
the public at The Conzet House for 48 years.
In 1891. the original part was removed to the rear and a new front
designed. White weatherboard with scrollwork trim. scalloped awnings
and a veranda were the decor of the day Beginning with the Public
Square, Barbour and Greenup had laid out 102 lots for the original
village. The hotel is located on Lots 6 and 7. Hitching posts along the
street as well as a horse watering trough, under the pump at the
historic well, were a necessity. In the early days, platters of food
were heaped on the long dining room table for meals served "family
style" at a charge of 25 cents for adults and 15 cents for children.
Greenup's water works came with the year 1897 and the 100,000 gallon
tower-tank called "The Big Kettle." Still preserved in the Greeenup
Hotel was one of the first flush toilets installed in the village The
old relic had a wooden tank and push-button handle. It was followed by
the first bathroom in town, built in the Ely House.
In 1912, William Garrett purchased the establishment and operated
it for 32 years. In 1914, rough cement was laid to replace the old
walks. For many years, Greenup's only fire alarm, to signal the hand
pulled, two wheeled hose cart, was located at the hotel. A favorite
dining and meeting place for clubs and organizations, the food service
remained available until the late 1930's.
Additions to the two-story structure through the years could be seen
through the various kinds of masonry, lumber and workmanship. Upon
purchase in 1944, the Winnet's remodeled the hotel, covering the white
weather-board with red brick veneer siding. All of the 17 upstairs
rooms were rented in addition to some on the first floor, with portions
of the five small downstairs apartments being converted to their living
Old wallpaper in Room 4, removed in redecorating, turned up the crayola
markings of an autograph, reading: "Hall — 1857", thought to be a
relative of Lincolns.
According to Mr. Winnett, at the time of their retirement, the 29 room
hotel was said to be the oldest operating west of the Alleghenies. The
last meal served in the old dining room was the 1969 Thanksgiving
dinner served to a large family gathering of Winnetts.
Oldtimers claim that it was a stage stop as early as 1815. Members of
the Bi-Weekly Club sponsored a memorial to the inn which was
established in 1915 and stands on the north side of the property. The
monument marks the site and is engraved with the name of the village
founder, William C. Greenup. It Is hard to visualize the site as a
vacant lot and, with the exception of its old age, no knowledge of
damage by fire or natural elements to the hotel has ever been recorded.
The destruction of the building, felled by the machinery of modern man
is called progress. The memory left of the old Barbour Inn within its
walls is called history.
Monday November 6, 1972
Showhouse Becomes Showroom
Progress Claims Another Victim
GREENUP-Another one of Greenup's
landmarks has been erased by the march of modernization as a
welcome banner over the canopy of the former Old Trails theater
announces the grand opening of a new business.
Bobbie Claire Goodman
Mr. and Mrs. Jim Highfill have purchased the building, completely
remodeled the interior and moved their Western Auto Store to the
One trace of the cinema's former self remains on a lobby mural
depicting Indian totem poles. A scenic mural which had been mirrored
over, was discovered in renovation and preserved by constructing a
frame around it. It serves as a picture of the past and, with nostalgia
in the 1974 spotlight, a fitting reminder of the many hours of
entertainment afforded the public in the establishments almost
sixty years as a movie theater,
John Pinkney Ewart. owner of the Lumberyard which encompassed the the
remainder of the block to the east, erected the original Ewart Theater
which had it's grand opening on Feb. 11. 1909 with a bill of fare
entitled "Isle of Spice." Pictured on the first program were scenes of
the Greenup School and Public Library along with
advertisements of Tonsorial Artists. Harness Shops,
Blacksmiths, Butchers and other merchants of the day.
A barker, the late Bennie Peters, in addition to calling out the
evening's program and show time, hawked vegetables which could be
purchased in a room off the lobby and thrown, according to personal
tastes, in the stew pot at home or at the actors on stage.
While the young in years will recall Technicolor, pop-corn and a place
where boy meets girl, the young in heart reminisce over stopping at the
Greek's Candy Kitchen for a bag of hot salted peanuts mixed with red
hots en route to the nickelodeon; or one could always purchase a box of
candy kisses, with a big prize inside, during intermission.
Theater Jobs provided spending money for many of the community's youth
through the years, however, Ewart himself faced no problems in finding
employees. As the father of 17, his sons learned the art of movie
projection, sold tickets and ushered, while daughters were utilized as
pianists during the silent film era. When an orchestra was required,
the theater's musical director. Carl Parker, was assisted by his sister
Annis and brother Emil. The original building had a balcony, loges.
orchestra pit, and a basement area under the stage which provided space
for prop storage and live dressing rooms. It's location on the old mast
to coast National Trail (original route 401 brought unexpected
entertainment to the stage in the form of vaudeville troupes which saw
the opportunity to earn the profits from a one night stand, enroute
from New York City to St. Louis.
Greenup could boast or three hotels at the time, where road show
performers could find lodging for $1 per night. Gene Autry. on his way
to fame and fortune in Hollywood, was one of many cowboy and western
acts to grace the Greenup stage along with magicians, fortune tellers,
performing dogs and a man who billed himself as "The Human Fly" with an
attempt to scale the brick wall of the two-story broom factory
building, directly across the street. Minstrels, variety extravaganzas
(patterned after the follies and George White's Scandals), locally
produced school class plays and operetta's prior to construction of the
Greenup High School gymnasium) and nightly shows during fair week
(before the advent of grandstand attractions) all drew a packed house.
In 1925. Harry Branch purchased the theater from the Ewart heirs for a
sum of $5,000. The old opera house was not without its lean years and.
feeling the effects of the Depression, was sustained for several years
with the aid of mortgages and loans until M.O. Musser. wife Ella and
son Paul, of Casey's Lyric Theater assumed operation from 1932 until
Ed Medley, a Flora car dealer, leased the building for a time and in an
effort to boost ticket sales, solicited several Flora citizens to
chauffeur some of his automobiles to Greenup to drive voters to the
polls and defeat a "No Sunday Movies" village ordinance.
Ernest Rodgers of Greenup was an employee for many years, beginning at
the age of 13 by distributing show bills around town and working his
way up in ticket sales, the projection room and later traveling the
area with the Paul (Musser) Murl (Burdett) Film Company.
Following the 30 per cent and 40 per cent sound films, supplemented by
script, talkies were tried with a home-made system and the showing of
"Forty Fathoms Deep.*' Rodgers felt that it would have taken an octopus
to correlate the recording with the lip movements of the actors on
film. The venture did not prove successful and patrons began to wish
for Bennie and his garden produce once again.
When the Musser family assumed operation, sound track film became
available and with with the aid of Depression glass give-aways and cash
prize bank nights.
the establishment got on its feet once more. In 1936 the building was
completely remodeled inside and out A lighted marquee was installed,
the concrete block exterior faced with white stucco and a
western-Indian decor set the scene for a new name: "The Old Trails."
The doors were closed from 1956-61 when Mr. and Mrs. Phil Harlan again
redecorated and reopened the business until television took its toll
and in 1972 the building was sold and used for a public auction house
by Linus McFarlin.
The Highfills have removed the stage and seats and converted this area
for merchandise display and wall shelving. Additional space has been
added (or home furnishings by constructing an upstairs section over the
stage area and a repair shop facility in the orchestra pit-basement
section. Office space is provided in the lobby with wood paneling
and carpeting installed throughout. Picture windows have replaced the
twin double doors and a new doorway placed in the ticket booth
location. As the old show house turns into a showroom, they plan on
having the aisles spiced with bargains for a fall grand opening.
Times-Courier Charleston Illinois August 29, 1974
Dr. Haughton Epitomized Horse and Buggy
Dr. NJ. Haughton of
Greenup died Saturday night at the age of 92. Our Greenup
correspondent, Mrs. Bobbie Claire Goodman, was granted "what was I
imagine, the only newspaper interview he ever gave, for he shunned
publicity and picture taking like the plague. Greenup citizens were
always wanting to have a 'Doc Haughton Day' or celebration, but he
would have no part of glory being connected with his name."
The following article was adapted from part of an upcoming feature on
Greenup's Mineral Well Springs, which may soon become part of Haughton
Park, named after the doctor.
Dr. Haughton was buried Wednesday, and Mrs. Goodman says, "I am sorry
Doc didn't live to read it. He will be missed greatly."
By Bobbie Claire Goodman
GREENUP - A visit for treatment to the office of Dr. N.J. Haughton in
Greenup often resulted in a patient leaving with, in addition to some
medicine, given with his celebrated and encouraging quote: "You won't
die this time," a bouquet of flowers or the start of a new shrub. Doc
knew plenty about the "birds and bees" and has hobby. However, in his
66 years of medical practice he has delivered too many babies to keep
count. After office hours, in the warm weather months, one could find
him digging in his beautifully landscaped yard where his love of nature
took over and the many plants proved that hands, once skillful with a
scalpel, still had "green thumbs."
Science students head for Haughton Drive in Greenup during leaf
collecting season, for specimens from his 21 varieties of trees.
The good Doctor's daughter, Helen, who resided with him, fought a
losing battle in trying to keep him from over-working, for at the age
of 92, retirement was still out of the question and Doc continued to
maintain hours for an office which was usually packed with patients.
He epitomized the dedicated, but now declining, family doctor whose
beginning was in the horse and buggy days and in his words, "on foot,
when you couldn't get through the mud."
How fascinating, during the days when he made routine house calls, to
see the black bag with it's literal pharmacy of bright colored pills
unfold; and few children when upon presentation of a necessary needle,
accompanied by his humorous: "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?", dared
to let pride give in to fear but courageously answered: "Not I."
Dr. Haughton graduated from medical school in St. Louis in 1905 and
practiced in Janesville for five years before moving to Greenup His
wife, Bertha, companion for 64 years, died in 1971. A son, John,
resides in Greenup.
In the past four years the Greenup Village has purchased two 5 acre
tracts of land in the northeast section of town for baseball diamonds
and a recreation area. It was named Haughton Park in honor of the
community's most beloved and respected citizen
Between the years 1891 to 1915, many physicians and chemists in
Illinois and Indiana wrote testimonials as to the curative properties
of the waters of Greenup's Mineral Springs; among them was Dr.
Haughton. In summarizing his endonemont, it is noted that he claimed no
real curative powers, but recommended it as an aid to other medicinal
measures and as an excellent bath and table water.
In today's age of highly technical medical procedures, the Doctor
was again asked his opinion, providing the well could be reopened and
once again put in use. His answer, basically the same as 56 years ago,
was, "It won't cure anything, but if you don't drink enough water, it's
fine for you,"
He appeared to have the opinion that people tend to be lax in their
consumption of good drinking water, which he advocated, and his
philosophy in the use of any treatment for an ailment was: "If it isn't
harmful, and it makes you feel better, go ahead and use it."
Dignified and extremely modest, yet blessed with a subtle wit. Doc
Haughton was an astute diagnostician and it has always been said that
he was always ahead of his time.