Cumberland County, Illinois


Nicholas Ettelbrick Sr. 1876-1947
On November 4, 1947, residents of the Greenup and Casey area were saddened to hear of the sudden death of Nicholas Firebrick, Sr., age 70 years. For the past 20 years Mr. Firebrick was active in manufacturing and community affairs in the area. In 1926 he became the founder of the Firebrick Shoe Co. in Greenup and later expanding into the communities of Casey and Robinson, Illinois.
Born in Shamming, Pennsylvania on December 6, 1876. he migrated with his parents of German descent, August and Anna Marie Wassermann Firebrick, to Springfield, Illinois. After leaving school, he entered the business world and for several years thereafter he operated a retail shoe store in that city. On June 7,1899 he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Link of Springfield. Children born to this marriage were August V., Alma (Mrs. Ernest Hildebrand), Nicholas Jr., Joseph (Rev. Rene), Albert (Rev. Albert) and Marie (Mrs. William Willinger). In 1912 the family moved to St. Louis and eventually he entered the manufacturing business in the production of the "Soft Sole" shoe. However, Mr. Ettelbrick could not pay his workers as much as workers received at the larger Brown and International companies. This resulted in losing the good workers he had trained to the higher-paying competitors.
In the summer or 1926, Mr. Art Van den Fend, General Manager of five tanneries in nine states and a son-in-law of Mr. Ed Fl stun of Greenup, Illinois took up the need for a manufacturing business with a group of Greenup businessmen. Mr. den Ettelbrick was also acquainted with Nicholas Ettelbrick and suggested persuading Mr. Ettelbrick to relocate from St Louis to launch a shoe factory in Greenup.
After several meetings, a committee composed of Harry Jenuine, Fred Wylde, J.D. Green, Arthur Jobe, Charles Greeson, Ross Greeson and Charles Stanford, worked with untiring efforts to raise the amount of funds necessary to finance the factory. Next they raised money for the building to house the factory. These men were backed by Gar Borden and Ernest J. Bancroft. As a result of their negotiations, $20,000 was raised to begin the process of locating a factory in Greenup.
On Monday, October 4,1926 at 2:00 p.m., the contract was let for the erection of a building to house the shoe factory in Greenup, Illinois.
While the building was being constructed, machines were installed in the corner building, which later was the location of a coffee shop. There the first employees were trained in the manufacturing of baby shoes. The plant represented an investment of $50,000 and employed 75 persons, with a payroll of $800 a week.
The Directors for the factory were: Arthur Jobe, Fred Wylde, and Art van den Ende.
Mr. Ettelbrick's oldest son, August (Gus), a 1925 graduate from St. Louis University School of Law, had joined a St. Louis law firm when his father asked him to come to Greenup to help get the project underway. Once he became a part of the business and the community, he never left.
About 1927-28 a decision was made to establish a factory in Casey, Illinois with Gus as the President. The enthusiasm for the new industry and the involvement of the community were expressed in a Tag Day. The high school students were dismissed and marched in a parade from the school to town selling tags for SI.00 apiece. Funds raised were contributed towards the necessary financing. Local businessmen also made individual contributions. A building on Fast Main Street, used as the Ford Garage by Charlie Peirson and Dr. Lester Johnson, was rented. The $75 a month rent was to be applied toward the purchase price. With added space, shoe production readily expanded from infant sizes to include children's sizes.
Later, son Nicholas, Jr., also took an active part in the management of the Greenup company, as did two sons-in law, Ernest Hiltebrand and William Willenborg.
For the first 15 years of Ettelbrick Shoe, business was devoted to sales to chain and volume accounts. Then on July 15, 1941 a decision was made to create a branded line of shoes to service the independent retailer. A female factory employee suggested the name. Step Master, and the line became an immediate success. Marie Ettelbrick was named as the first President. Since women were not accepted in the executive ranks of businesses in the mid-1940's, they decided to identify her on all of the corporate documents as M. J. Ettelbrick. She remained as President until Step Master became a subsidiary of Ettelbrick Shoe Company in the late '60's.
Eventually, Step Master surpassed FSCU in size and production. Step Master was the fourth largest manufacturer of children's shoes in the country in the late 1960's and early 70's.
During World War II, appropriate conversions were made to manufacture nurse's oxfords to aid in the war effort. At the end of the war, about 1946, a plant was built in Robinson, Illinois with August Ettelbrick as manager.
Under the direction of Nicholas Sr. and sons, August and Nicholas Jr.. the company progressed well. Upon the death of both Nicholas Sr. in November, 1947 and August in January 1948, the reins were placed in the hands of Nicholas Jr.
On August 24, 1964, Nicholas Jr. was promoted to Chairman of the Board and his brother in law, William Willenborg, became President. A factory was opened in Newton, Illinois in 1965 but closed five years later due of lack of business volume. Following the death of Nick, Jr. in 1974, William Willenborg became Chairman of the Board.

Tate, Joseph Robert
Joseph Robert Tate, son of Garrison Tate, died Wednesday, September 17, 1873 at the age of 13 years. 6 months and 1 day.
[Cumb. Dem., Maj. Pt., Fri., 26 Sep.’73].

Thornton, William F.
General William F. Thorton died at his residence in this city (Shelby) at four o'clock Tuesday morning. His death resulted from no specific disease but at the extreme old age of eighty four years, his system simply failed his strength gave away and he died peacefully and quietly.
In many respects we regard General Thorton as one of the most remarkable men of his day. We write at the hour of our paper going to press and muss refer ... notice until our next issue...when we say our loss is a reputable one...our courts are adjourned, business is suspended and now assembled at the Court House testifying by appropriate speeches and resolutions their respect for his virtues and their sorrow at his loss.
Long and deeply will this community feel the calamity for we regard in..which has in General Thorton, ... good and great man is gone of wonderful sagacity, large benevolence, spotless character and unsoiled honor, leaving to his family, a reputation, richer as a heirloom than all his accumulated land and money.--Shelby Leader.
[Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, Friday, 31 October 1873].

09/28/1930 – 01/08/2007
Thomas, Fred E.  76, of Greenup, died at 1:52 a.m. Monday, Jan. 8, 2007, at his home.
Services are 11 a.m. at the Barkley Funeral Chapel. Burial with graveside military rites is in Block Cemetery. Visitation is 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
Mr. Thomas was born Sept. 28, 1930, at Greenup, the son of the late Gerald Thomas and the late Laverne Devall Thomas. He married Lois Callahan on March 29, 1958. She died June 10, 2006.
He is survived by two daughters: Lenora (Randy) Harmon of Marion and Laurie (Keith Reichert) Thomas of Athens; one brother, Bill (Verna) Thomas of Morton; one sister, Marilyn (Tommy) McMillan of Hoopeston; three grandchildren, Nathan Warfel (Becky Lewis) of Greenup, Hannah Warfel (Jeremy Williams) of Marshall and Garrett Reichert of Athens; and three great-grandchildren, Breehannah Fore, Zachary Fore and Wyatt Warfel of Greenup.
He was preceded in death by one brother, John Thomas and one sister, Jo Ann Dyer.
Mr. Thomas was a U.S. Army veteran and served in Germany as a military police officer.
He started farming in 1958 after his military discharge. In 1985, he was named the Cumberland County Outstanding Conservation Farmer of the Year.
Mr. Thomas ran a battery business and “jockeyed” farm equipment and was a fixture at area farm sales for many years. He was a lifelong fan of tractor pulling. After a long retirement, he recently began pulling a 1953 Super M. He was a fierce competitor on the circuit but loved to talk about the art and science of tractor pulling to anyone seeking his advice.
He was a life member of the Greenup Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #4598 and the Hazel Dell American Legion Post #1230. He was also a member of the N.R.A. and the Southern Illinois Tractor Pulling Association. He was a master sweet corn grower, sharing with many people in the area. He was a devoted family man, always making sure everyone was taken care of. It was “our” privilege to have been able to take care of such a powerful man.
Memorial donations may be made to the Southern Illinois Tractor Pulling Association, 5770 E. Snake Trail Rd., Martinsville, Ill.

Thompson, Carrie
As the regular session of the M.E. church on the 26th of February, 1871, on motion of the Superintendent, the following persons were appointed a Committee to report resolutions expressive of the School on the death of sister Carrie Thompson  and the calamity threat befell her husband, W. M. Thompson, to wit: H.C. Brumback, Rev. M. N. Powers and W. H. Gloyd, who reported the following preamble and resolutions, which were unanimously adopted by a rising vote:
Whereas, under circumstances of great affliction, it has pleased our Heavenly Father to remove Sister Carrie Thompson from her labors on earth to her reward in Heaven, and to prostrate her husband, W. M. Thompson on a bed of affliction, and,
Whereas, Brother and Sister Thompson were the founders and continued support of this Sabbath School, therefore be it
Resolved, That we have witnessed with mournful feeling the great loss we have sustained in the death of Sister Thompson; and, were it not for our hope that our loss is her eternal gain, in this affliction, we would he inconsolable.
Resolved, That we tender Brother Thompson our warmest sympathy in this hour of his affliction.
Resolved, ‘that the Secretary forward a copy of these resolutions to W. M. Thompson and to each of the newspapers of this city, for publication. H. C. Brumback Rev, M. N. Powers, W. H. Gloyd, committee.
[Effingham City Democrat, Thurs., 2 March 1871, p. 2, c. 4]

Thom(p)son, Mrs. Carrie
Died Mrs. “Thomson,” of whose sad misfortune we gave notice last week, died on Sunday evening from the effects of her burn, and was buried on Monday afternoon, the funeral being one of the largest ever witnessed in Effingham.
The deceased wa; a most amiable lady, and, from the position she filled in the church of which she was a devoted member, her loss will be mourned as next to irreparable; while ... society, in her untimely demise, is deprived of one of its most esteemed members and brightest ornaments.
[Effingham City Democrat, Thurs. 23 Feb., 1871, p. 3, c. 2].

Thompson, Frederick Takes Own Life
Calmly looking into the muzzle of a single barrel shotgun, while he released the trigger by a wire fastened to his right foot connecting the trigger. Fred Thompson, tenant on the J. F. Tomberlin farm, eleven miles south of Charleston, sent the contents of the gun into his forehead, tearing away the greater part of the upper portion of his head. Death was instantaneous. and it came so swiftly to the man that he fell stretched out on his back while the gun rested between his outstretched
legs.  Mr. Thompson, who began his day's work at 4:30 o'clock last Thursday morning (March 31, 1921), went to the barnyard to do the morning feeding. He returned to the house about 6:30, where he seemed to enjoy his breakfast and seemed to be feeling his usual good self. After breakfast he stated he would go to the bottom land.  Accompanied by Cleo, a 14 year-old son, he started on his mission. Cleo going on to let the cows and sheep out to feed. As Mr. Thompson started away he called out to his son, "You may find me some time". His son called after him and asked, "Are you going to Charleston today?" The father replied "Not today" and went on his way to the bottom land to pump water for the live stock.  After completing his chores the son returned to the house and told his mother what his father had said. He also reported that his father had carried his gun with him. Mrs. Thompson started to the bottom lands and in passing a corn crib, saw her husband lying on the floor.  The man's blood was spattered over the walls of the crib and over a note, which was placed on a stable close by. The note had been penned by Mr. Thompson just before he placed the muzzle of the shotgun against his
head. The note read:  "The Lord only knows why this is done. Good-bye to family. Papa."
He had become heavily involved financially. He was a man who always took great pride in meeting his obligations when they became due and it is thought this was on his mind when he took his own life.  The deceased was a son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Thompson, who lived many years on a farm near Neal, moving several years ago to Toledo, where they are now living. Fred was born April 2, 1881, (his twin died the same day) and departed this life at the age of 39 years, 11 months and 29 days. He lived all his life a few miles east of Neoga until about two years ago he moved to a farm near Janesville. A few months ago he moved to the farm where he died.  He was twice married. His first wife was Mary Edith Wilson, eldest daughter of W. J. Wilson of Neoga, to whom he was married December 20, 1905. To them were born three children: Cleo Martin aged 14, William Russell aged 10 and Hazel Lorene aged 8. Mrs. Thompson passed away February 20, 1915.  On October 2, 1915, he was married to Mrs. Anna Phillips Partlow, who survives him with one child by this marriage, Charles Thompson aged 4 years and one child, Roy Partlow, by her first marriage. Mr. Thompson also leaves his parents, three brothers and three sisters: Elmer Thompson, near Trilla; David Thompson, near Toledo; Wade Thompson, Canada; Mrs. E. C. Elson (Mabel), east of Neoga; Mrs. Perry Walker (Bertha), Osborne, Kansas; Mrs. John Sullivan (Mary), Woodbury.
The deceased was a member of the M. E. Church of Neoga and the Modern Woodmen of Trilla.  Funeral services were held in the Methodist Church at Trilla, Friday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by Rev. Hogue of Lerna and burial was made at Upper Muddy cemetery north of Trilla, beside his first wife.
We wish to express our sincere gratitude to the many neighbors and friends, who so kindly assisted us during our bereavement by the death of Fred Thompson.  The Family
(This Obit was contributed by Rowena Drennen at This man was her uncle.

Tossey, Stephen Delany
Died Wednesday, September 17, 1873, Stephen Delany Tossey 51 years, 7 months 25 days. He was born in Union County, Ohio on January 21, 1822.
At eleven years old, with his father and brothers, he went to Michigan near Kalamazoo, then a small village, and lived there about three years. Later he returned to
Michigan and lived in an area inhabited largely by Potowaitorme and Shawnee Indians. He became familiar with their language and he never forgot it.
He was one of the best scholars in the country. Many nights he only had blazing hickory bark ~o study by. He attended school a few months at Marysville, Ohio under the charge of Charles W. Sanders, author of Sanders Series of Readers, etc., also at Worthington Ohio, then considered a model school.
In the fall of 1853, he settled ‘in Cumberland County, then almost wilderness, on land he had purchased a year or two previous, leaving a good farm in Ohio. He was elected to Circuit Court in 1856 and again elected in 1860 by the largest majority of men on the ticket which was headed by the lamented Douglas. He served until 1864 and declined another election. it is thought he contracted consumption in a toe close application to the duties of this office.
He invested extensively in real estate, paying cash down whether the tract was large or small. He never owed a store bill to the amount of one dollar in his life. No honest man ever  applied to him in vain for aid when in his power to render it.
Besides  relatives, his father and mother are yet living, both of whom, verging on a century of age. He was a resident of Cumberland County 21 years He was buried in Prairie City Cemetery. Marysville, Ohio Tribune; and Casey, Illinois Times-please copy.
(Also) The late Stephen D. Tossey died at his residence in Jewett, Wednesday, September 17, 1873. To Mr. Tossey the event was not unexpected. For the past year, he held himself in readiness to obey the dreadful mandate. Having set his temporal house in orderand arranged his business affairs. he calmly entered that better world of peace and joy.
He was industrious and frugal dismissed the goods of this world and in every effort in that direction towards success. Commencing life poor, he has left an estate worth $5O,OO0, the results of hard industry and frugality. Mr. Tossey was a member of the Christian Church and few Ministers knew Scripture better than he. It was his request that Mr. Davee preach his funeral sermon but as Mr. Davee was unwell and could not attend the funeral, his remains were buried without this ceremony.
[Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, Friday, 26 September 1873]

Trostle, Frank Fuller

Frank Fuller Trostle, 91, of Greenup, formerly of Montrose, passed away at 2:45 a.m. Monday, Dec. 19, 2005, at Cumberland Nursing Center, Greenup.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Bishop Funeral Home, Greenup, with the Rev. George Whitley officiating. Burial will be in Mullen Cemetery, Cumberland County. Visitation will be for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home. In loving memory of Frank, memorials may be made to Jewett Community Church or Woodbury United Methodist Church, rural Montrose.

True, Nora Ann
Nora Ann True, daughter of Rolla and Louise True, was born July 21, 1886, in Sumpter Township, Cumberland County, Illinois, and died December 9, 1904 at 9:30 pm. Her mother died when she was only 10 years old. burial was in Berry Cemetery

Obits of Un-named People
The wife of the editor of the Cumberland Democrat died last week of consumption. Jan. 25, 1877

Waldrip, John Eugene
Former Montrose resident, John Eugene Waldrip, age 93, of Longmont, died on Sunday, May 2, 2004, at the HospiceCare of Boulder and Broomfield Counties Care Center in Louisville, Colo.
John was born on Aug. 7, 1910, the oldest son of John Earl "Doc" and Eleanor (McCoullough) Waldrip, in Cumberland County, Ill. He attended the public schools in the area and received a temporary teacher's certificate that enabled him to start teaching at the age of 18. John's first school was called "Hardscrabble." He liked to tell how he had 30 students at all eight levels and they all learned to read in spite of there being so many students.
During the next 10 years John worked at bucking bales, milking cows, tutoring children, building dams in Kentucky, and on the new Highway 40 through Greenup, Ill., which is now Interstate 70, while earning his BA degree in Education from Eastern Illinois State University at Charleston, Ill.
Following graduation, he was given the position of coach and teacher in the Ogden, Ill., High School. It was here that John met his future wife, Benita Goad, the music teacher. John and Benita were married on Jan. 31, 1942, in Columbus, Mo.
His teaching career was interrupted by military service. He served 33-1/2 months as a communications clerk for the United States Army Air Corps during World War II.
After completing his military service, John returned to his teaching position in Ogden. He also attended the University of Illinois and received an MA degree in Secondary Administration. He then became principal of Ellsworth High School in Illinois.
Due to the family's respiratory problems, the Waldrips moved to Montrose, Colo., in 1952, where John was a teacher and administrator in the public schools. He retired in 1976. In April of 2004 John and Benita moved to Longmont to be near their children.
John, above all, loved to fish the rivers, streams and lakes of Colorado and Utah. Deep-sea fishing at Westport, Wash., and in the Gulf of Mexico were the two main high points in his life. He also enjoyed four wheeling in the mountains of Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.
Many students from Illinois and Colorado stopped by to see John and still corresponded with him. He will be very much missed by his family and friends.
He was a 50-year member of the Ogden, Ill., Masonic Blue Lodge, the Phi Delta Kappa Education Honorary Fraternity, due to his excellent scholastic ability while attending the University of Illinois. He was a past member of N.E.A., I.E.A., U.I.E.A. and C.E.A., the American Legion and the First Methodist Church of Montrose.
Those who shared and enjoyed John's life and survive him are his wife of 62 years, Benita Waldrip, of Longmont, Colo.; two sons: Cecil Waldrip and wife Edwina (Salazar) Waldrip, also of Longmont, Colo.; William Waldrip and wife Judy Waldrip, of Loveland, Colo.; two granddaughters: Natalie and Susan; and one sister, Louise Winnett, of Toledo, Ill.
John was preceded in death by his parents, two sisters, and two brothers.
A memorial service was officiated by Rev. Anne Kear on Tuesday, May 4, at the First Congregational United Church of Christ in Longmont. Cremation had taken place.

Ward, John Robert, oldest son of John and Amelia Ward was born in Jasper County, Illinois, January 29, 1857, passed away at his home in Greenup, Ill., February 14, 1936, aged 79 years, and 16 days.  He was united in marriage to Annie E. Edwards at Armstrong,Ill.,November 5, 1880.  To this union 9 children were born.  One son and a daughter dying in infancy.  Nora Ward Dunning died February 15, 1933.  He was converted in early life and was a noble example of orderly peaceable citizenship, was loved and respected by all and often expressed himself as ready and anxious to go.  His honesty and industry were worthy of praise.  He leaves to mourn his departure his dear faithful wife who has shared life's joys and sorrows with him for 55 years; 6 daughters; Mrs. May Matthews, of Champaign, Mrs. Della Hanners of Greenup, Mrs. Myrtie Matthews of Tolono, Mrs. Maud Glenn of Urbana, Mrs. Fay Kellogg of Tuscola, Mrs. Neva Snearley, of Greenup.  7 son-in-laws, 23 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Nancy Creighton of VevayPark.  Besides a host of friends who will sadly miss him.  One by one the flowers are taken, one by one, the roses fall, and we tearfully remember pain and sorrow come to all.  Funeral services were conducted at the Mt.Zion Christian Church Sunday, Feb. 16th by Rev. Paul Piersall.  Interment in the cemetery near by.  The flowers were in charge of the grand-daughters and the grandsons acted as pallbearers.
From the Greenup Press: 1936

Ward, Nora Dean, daughter of J. R. and Annie Ward, was born in Cumberland county, Illinois, August 2, 1896, and departed this life February 15, 1933 at her home southeast of Greenup, age 36 years, 6 months, and 14 days.  She was united in marriage to I. W. Dunning Dec. 24, 1917.  To this union were born 3 children, 2 dying in infancy.  She was a noble mother, a good wife and her sunny disposition won her friends every where she was known.  When a young lady, she was converted in a revival meeting at Mt.Zion Christian Church, and has been a firm believer ever since in spiritual things.  Nora lived the greater part of her life around Greenup, with the exception of nine years she lived in Chicago.  She leaves to mourn her departure a little daughter, Betty, 2 ½ years of age, a devoted husband, her parents, six sisters, Mrs. May Matthews, of Champaign, Mrs. Della Hanners of Greenup, Mrs. Myrtie Matthews, Mrs. Maudie Glenn of Urbana, Mrs. Fay Kellog of Tuscola and Mrs. Neva Snearely of Greenup, besides a host of friends who will sadly miss her departure from this world.  Funeral services were held at Mt.Zion Christian Church February 17th, 1933, conducted by Rev. Sam Price.  Burial in Mt.ZionCemetery.
 [ Nora Dean Ward Dunning died of Peritonitis, caused by the rupture of her appendicitis]

From the Greenup Press: 1933

Waschefort, Mrs. S. F.
After a long and painful disease, cancer on the stomach, Mrs. S. F. Waschefort, of Teutopolis, died Sat., the 18th inst., at one p.m., aged 53 years, 28 days. Her funeral commenced 7:30 a.m. Tues. at the Catholic church....The services were of an imposing solomnity....Rev. P. MANRITIUS, Rector of St. Joseph's College, officiated at the Solomn Requiem, and Rev. P. MATHIAS preached the funeral discourse and performed ‘the burial ceremonies according to the ritus of the Catholic church with unusual impressiveness .... the deceased, attended by a large funeral procession, was conveyed to the parish cemetery to the family vault, where she may rest in peace, until awakened Judgment Day, by the Archangel's trumpet, to be resurrected in glory and united with dear ones left to mown the untimely loss of an affectionate mother to 3 daughters and a son and a most faithful, devoted wife to the bereaved husband.
Of the many virtues which adorned the deceased in her pilgrimage through life, those of unaffected humility, modesty, compassion for the suffering poor, accompanied always with substantial acts of charity....
[Effingham Democrat, John HENRY, Publisher, Thursday, 23 January 1873, p.3, c.

Special to the Journal Gazette
White, Asa, Bradbury, Ill.,   Sept. 14-1932 Asa White, 82, retired farmer residing at the southeast edge of Bradbury, ended his life early Monday by shooting himself with a shotgun.  His lifeless body was found shortly after noon.  Coroner Yanaway, who examined the body, said it had been lifeless for several hours.  The funeral was conducted this morning from the Corinth church in this community.  Burial was in the Toledo Cemetery.  Mr. White's wife died many years ago.  He leaves 2 daughters, Mrs. Maud Bean of Crawfordsville, Ind., and Mrs. Mollie Oakley of Bradbury, and 3 sons, Clint White of Bellingham, Wash., and George R. White and Clarence White, the latter 2 of Toledo.  A sister, Miss Samantha White and a brother, Thomas White also survive.  [ Asa White was born May 22, 1850 and died May 12, 1932 per caption on a photo sent along with the article]
(contributed by

White, Beni
Died on Tuesday morning last, at his residence in Prairie City, aged 77 years old, Mr. Beni White, Sr., born North Carolina, and there is hardly an ‘old settler in this or Coles County what didn't know ‘Uncle Beni.'
Many years ago we remember him as a citizen of Charleston when we were a boy. From some time the old man had been suffering from something like heart disease which terminated fatally on that morning. Uncle Beni dies respected by all that knew him and leaves the proudest monument to his memory he could have left, that of being a just and upright man.
[Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, Friday, 7 June 18721.

Wiley, Mary A. - After an illness of months, Mrs. Wiley died at her home in Toledo, Illinois, December 21, 1916, at the age of 75 years, 7 months, and 7 days.
    Mary A. Concannon was born in Galway County, Ireland, May 14, 1841, the daughter of Luke and Celia Concannon. Of this family were seven children, Patrick, James, Bridget, Mary, Michael, Mathias and Thomas.
    Deceased came to United States with her father when she was about seven years old. She was united in marriage to James Harvey Wiley in June 22, 1857. To this union were born thirteen children. William (deceased); James L., Mary E., Liza E. (deceased); Daniel M., Charles N., Josephine (deceased), Mahala J. ( deceased). Ida A., Martha O., and Celia May. Five children died in infancy, Jane died at the age of 19.
    Mrs. Wiley has lived near and in Toledo about 35 years. Her husband died 38 years ago last November, leaving the wife to care for the dear children of which by the help of the good Lord, she did the best she could. Mrs. Wiley was highly respected by all who knew her. She has many relatives and friends and as far as her children knew, Mrs. Wiley is the last of the Concannon family.
    She professed faith in Christ at the age of 14 and lived a consistent Christian life, being an example for her children and others. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church at her death in Toledo where she has lived for a number of years. She leaves to mourn her death 3 sons, four daughters, thirty-five grand children and nineteen great-grandchildren and many other relatives and friends.

Submitted by Ruth Wiley -

White, Mary Ellen Bolin, age 102, of Charleston, formerly of Cumberland County, departed this life on earth and went to her heavenly home at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 14, 2004, at the Hilltop Convalescent Center in Charleston. She resided in Cougill Senior Apartments, until a few months ago, assisted by caregivers from Coles County Council on Aging, Adult Day Services of Sarah Bush Lincoln, Cumberland Associates and her family members. Graveside services in tribute to her life will begin at 3:00 p.m. Today at the Janesville Cemetery with the Reverend Lloyd Johnson officiating. No visitation is planned. The Schilling Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements. Mary considered Cumberland County and the areas of Montrose, Jewett and Toledo to be her home, having lived there from a child to old age. Born May 10, 1901, to natives of Cumberland County, Elizabeth (Teets) and George Bolin, she was one of seven children, all now deceased. She married Victor White, son of Bertha (Oakley) and Clarence White while a teenager and they had fifty-eight happy years before his death at age 77. The marriage produced their five beloved sons: Carl, Leland, Norman, Russell and Max. She considered her sons' wives, Vera Parks (Carl), Muriel Lamb (Leland), Erlene (Norman), Vera Massey (Russell) and Murl Benson (Max) as her own daughters. She was also preceded in death by four sons and two of her daughters-in-law. She is survived by one son, Max White and wife Murl of Charleston; two daughters-in-law, Vera White of Benton, Arkansas and Erlene White of North Carolina; thirteen grandchildren, including, Chuck White and Patrick White of Charleston, Brian White of Benton, Arkansas, Lezli Cline of Champaign, Jeannie Waggoner of Mattoon, Carolyn Skinner of Delaware, Ohio, Judith McEwen of Greenbriar, Arkansas and Mac Huffman of Little Rock, Arkansas; and numerous great-and great-great-grandchildren as well as many other friends, relatives and caregivers. Mrs. White was a homemaker and devoted wife and mother throughout her life. Mary was also formerly employed at Ettelbrick Shoe Company in Greenup, operated two Creameries, worked in several restaurants in Toledo, ran a housecleaning business and performed janitorial services with her husband for the Courthouse and the Bank in Toledo. She was also a Court Bailiff in Cumberland County for many years. Memorial gifts in her honor may be made to Citizens Council of Cougill Senior Apartments, Activity Fund at Hilltop Convalescent Center or to a charity of the donor's choice.

Wisner, David T.
Died at Margeana, Missouri, 4 September 1872, David T. Wisner, aged 62 years, six months, seven days. He was among the earIiest of Cumberland County, Illinois, pioneers, here before Cumberland (Illinois?) made a state.
It was throught that Wisner lived at the Woodberry Post Office where he kept a store, stock and the various commodities of the country and contributed largely in assisting the farmers; in finding a market for their products. Mr. W. was a man of fine intellegence and although uncultivated by education, he was a man of sound mind and excellent ideas and would have left his mark in the world had he applied his thought to study. He died very suddenly and at his store.
[Cumb. Democ., Fri. 13 Sept. 1872).

Wisner, David T. died at Margeana, Missouri on September 4, 1872 he was aged 62 years, 6 months and 7 days. He was among the earliest of Cumberland County, Illinois Pioneers, here before Cumberland made a county. It was thought that Wisner lived at the Woodbury Post Office where he kept a store, stock and the various commodities for the country and contributed largely in assisting farmers in finding market for their products. Mr. W. was a man of fine intelligence and although uncultivated by education, he was a man of sound mind and excellent ideas and would have left his mark in the world had he applied his thought to study. He died very suddenly and at his store.
(Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, Friday September 13, 1872)

Wood, John W. - A young man by the name of John W. Wood, jumped from the train at Jewett on Tuesday evening and had his leg and arm badly chrushed by being run over, the accident occurred about 12 o'clock, and he died about 6. Dr. Eskridge was called to see the wounded man, but could not render him any assistance. He was a married man and lived near Dutchtown, and charged the Conductor with being responsible for the accident before he died.
Newton Press, July 9, 1874

Woody, John - who resided near Slate Point, North Muddy township was thrown from a cart near Bradbury, Cumberland county, Thursday afternoon, receiving injuries from which he died about 24 hours afterward. Deceased was on his way home from Champaign county where he went to visit his son Charles. His horse, a spirited animal, scared at an approaching train while crossing the railroad and ran away, throwing him to the ground. He was picked up and carried to the house of Mrs. Joseph Russell, who kindly gave him all of the attention possible. Surgeons were brought to his assistance, but death followed on the next day despite all that could be done.... Sunday he was buried at Slate Point with the honors of the G.A.R., he being a member of Wheeler Post. [Member of the 9th Indiana Calvary] He left 4 children, two sons and two daughters.... Sep. 2, 1891
Worts, Newton - a deaf mute, while walking along the P.D. & E. track Friday night, near Toledo, was run over and killed by a train. He had been to Greenup, got drunk and started to walk to Mattoon, not having money enough left to pay his fare. Jan. 16, 1889

Return To The Main Index Page