Cumberland County, Illinois

Garrett, Vernon Carl Jr., 83, Greenup, formerly of Mattoon, retired from Southern Paticfic Railroad, died Thursday (Sept. 30, 2004). Services: 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Schilling Funeral Home, Mattoon. Visitation: 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Burial: Dodge Grove Cemetery, Mattoon. Memorials: Lincoln Trails Council Boy Scouts of America.

Goodwin, Dr. A.J., formerly of Rose Hill, died at Union Center, Cumberland county, last week. Newton Press, Feb. 4, 1891
Goodwin, Mrs. Jess - Mrs. C.M. Oliver recently received word that her sister, Mrs. Jess Goodwin, had passed away in Washington, D.C., at the home of her daughter, Miss Lucille Goodwin. Martha was born near Janesville, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Freeman. She leaves to mourn her loss, two sons, Frank and Jess, Jr., one daughter, Lucille, a daughter-in-law, one grandson, Gene; three sisters, Mrs. Ethel Wall, Mattoon, Mrs. Letha Ryan, Atlanta, Ill; Mrs. Grace Oliver, Toledo; one brother, Grover Freeman, Decatur; a host of friends and relatives. Miss Goodwin took the body of her mother to Enid, Okla., to be placed by the side of her husband who passed away about a year ago. The Toledo Democrat, Jan. 29, 1948

Gray, Mrs. Margaret Bishop  - aged 87 years, widow of D.L. Gray, died at the home of her daughter, D.B. Atwell, near Lerna, Sunday morning. Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon and burial was made in Indian cemetery, near Lerna. Mrs. Gray, born in Mattoon, Aug. 22, 1860, was a daughter of W.W. and Martha Bishop Monfort. She was married to D.L. Gray in 1885. Mr. Gray died in 1937. Since his death she had spent the winters in Florida. She also resided in Mattoon and Charleston for some years. She leaves a daughter, Mrs. D.B. Atwell of Lerna, a son, Howard W. Gray of Gainesville, Florida and Lerna, & a grandson, John R. Atwell of Lerna. Toledo Democrat, Thursday Feb. 12, 1948

Green, Crat - aged 17, was drowned in the Embarras river near Toledo last week. He was a son of ex-Sheriff H.W. Green, of Cumberland County. July 24, 1889

Green, Starra Elaine
Starra Elaine Green, 49, of Greenup died at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2005, at home.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Bishop Funeral Home, Greenup.

Griffith, Fannie
Fannie Griffith, 99, Greenup, homemaker, died Friday (March 26, 2004). Services: 11 a.m. Tuesday, Barkley Funeral Chapel, Greenup. Visitation: two hours before services. Burial: Greenup Cemetery.

Son of Lincoln's Stepsister Dies at Home in Pleasant Grove This Morning Mattoon Journal-Gazette, Monday, April 5th April 8, 1909 Toledo Democrat
    John J. Hall, a first cousin of Abraham Lincoln's mother and a son of Mrs. Matilda Hall, stepsister of Abraham Lincoln and one of the pioneer residents of Coles County, died at one o'clock this morning at his home in Pleasant Grove Township, the old homestead of Thomas Lincoln, father of the martyred president. Demise was due to pneumonia, from which he had suffered for two weeks.
    The funeral services will be held from the Shiloh Church on Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G. H. Brown, pastor of the Christian Church of Charleston. The burial will then be made in the Cordon Cemetery, where rest the mortal remains of Thomas Lincoln.
    John J. Hall, a son of Squire and Matilda Hall, was born in Spencer County, Indiana, on April 12, 1929, so if he had lived until the 12th day of this month he would have been 80 years of age. The following year the Hall and Lincoln families moved from Spencer County, Indiana, to Macon County, Illinois, going overland in the same wagon which was driven by Abraham Lincoln. It was during this memorable trip that Lincoln split the rails which afterward proved to be one of the most important epochs in the life of the great statesman. The following year, in 1831, both families, with the exception of Abe, who since had struck out in the world for himself, returned and settled in Coles County, selecting farms in Pleasant Grove Township. This township ever afterward continued to be their home, and after the death of Thomas Lincoln. Mr. Hall bought the old Lincoln homestead, and there he passed his declining years.
    On April 10, 1866, John J. Hall became the husband of Mrs. Elizabeth Gaston, widow of Oliver B. Gaston. Mrs. Hall died several years ago. Six children were born to the couple—Mrs. Harriet Martin, Janesville; Joseph Hall, living on a farm three miles east of Charleston; Abraham Lincoln Hall, living near the old homestead; and Squire Hall and Miss Nancy Hall, both at home. Another daughter, Matilda, died some years ago. It was in 1851 that Mr. Hal) bought the Thomas Lincoln homestead, and to this he added a large tract, the farm at the present time comprising 325 acres. In 1893 the Lincoln log cabin was sold and exhibited at the world's fair in Chicago.  It was in that year that Mr. Hall constructed an up-to-date residence, making one of the prettiest farm dwellings in Pleasant  Grove Township.
    Mr. Hall cast his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont in 1856. He was always a Republican in politics. During the Sunday revival at Charleston last spring Mr. Hall was a frequent attendant at the services, and before the close
became one of the many converts. About two weeks later he became a member of the Christian Church of Charleston.
The hand-written copy on the back of the picture reads: I, Nancy A. Hall, who is standing in the door of this cabin, was born in it October 18,1869, and  lived in it till on Friday, March 14, 1891. It was built by Thomas Lincoln and his son Abe
Lincoln in 1831. Sarah Bush Lincoln lived and made her home in this cabin with her grandson John J. Hall and his family 18 years until her death December 14, 1869. Abraham Lincoln lived and made his home in this cabin until his 21st birthday. A footnote to this copy: Mabel Lovins Rominger, a daughter of Pete and Zetta Lovins, who is 99 years old now, said her grandfather Reverend Aaron Lovins of Toledo walked 16 miles to preach the funeral of Sarah Bush Lincoln. He related that the cabin was so overflowing with the family and friends, that he had to stand on the outside with several other  neighbors to preach the eulogy and funeral service. Photo courtesy of James Keller, Jewett, Illinois

Hammer, Amanda - wife of Wm. Hammer of Greenup, died at the residence of her father near Sailor Springs, Wednesday. She had been ill for several months. She leaves a husband, two children and two or three step-children to mourn her death. October 9, 1889

Harvey, Horace G.
Horace G. Harvey, four months and three days, died on the 14th inst., the son of Lewis and Emma Harvey. Our little boy is gone. We buried him yesterday in the Old Salem Churchyard. After forty eight hours of intense suffering from cholera morbus and hemorrhage of the bowels, our little pet left us for a better land.
[Cumb. Democ., Maj. Point, Friday, 25 July 1873.

Harvey, Nathan
Nathan Harvey, 36, died at his residence in Newport, Vermilion County, Indiana. He was ill two weeks of disease, flux and typhoid. He was born in Parke County, Indiana, in 1835 and at the early age of fourteen, had the bad misfortune to lose a kind father. Consequently, he was thrown at an early age upon his resources to battle with the world but his perseverance and industry...on the help of friends, he obtained a good education as far as the common schools of the county offered the facilities and he, choosing law as his profession, finished as his legal studies after a three year course at Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he graduated with honors.
Mr. Harvey, who is a brother of our esteemed fellow citizen, Louis Harvey, as will be remembered settling in Prairie City and commencing the practice of law here. But afterward he removed to his old home at Newport where he entered into co-partnership with William Eggleston, one of the first attorneys of Newport and at the time of his death had succeeded in building up a practice second to no firm in Vermilion County and way... in the ... goods of this world. Having acquired several hundred acres of land in Missouri and Kansas as well as a fine residence in Newport.
Mr. Harvey, as our citizens know who were well acquainted with him, was a man of strictly temperate habits. Never using arduous spirits of any description and not even falling into the common habit of the use of tobacco. Nathan Harvey was a man of warm impulses and had as many warm friends and as few enemies as any man that ever lived in Vermilion County. He never attached himself to any church but one live without reproach to himself and with credit to his friends. And during his last illness, when life's fatal fever was fast spending its powers, he ... the dreaded summons and met death as becomes a man whose life had been without reproach.
Mr. Harvey leaves a wife and three  children to mourn his loss. But they have this consultation to sustain them, that the husband and father that has departed, leaves a name unsoiled by dishonor or . ..and true friends who mourn with them in their bereavement.
Mr. Lewis Harvey was summoned to Nathan's bedside and reached Newport just in time to behold the last surge struggle. Reason had fled and Nathan Harvey, in the bloom of his manhood, had obeyed that inevitable summons which is held in reserve for us all and had entered the (lark river of death, which separates the mortal from the immortal life. Let us cherish his noble qualities, while if he had faults, let the oblivion of the grave cover them. Peace to his ashes.
[Cumb. Democ., Friday, Sep. 29th, 1971.

April 8, 1972
Dr. Haughton

Greenup has lost its best friend. The entire town and all the surrounding areas are in mourning. We shall not see his kind again. Dr. Nicholas John Haughton  passed away at St. Anthony Hospital in Terre Haute, Indiana, at 11:25 p.m. on April 8, 1972. His great heart, which had served him, and us, so long and so faithfully, finally failed from sheer exhaustion.

Dr. Haughton was born in Russellville, Illinois, on Sept. 19, 1879. He was the son of Dr, A, J. and Pamela Locke' Haughton and when he chose to Income a doctor he followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. After  graduating from medical school, he began practice In Janesville, Illinois, In 1905. It was there he met and married Berths Best, who was born in Janesville. He came to Greenup In 1910 to. assume the practice of Dr. C. C. Cochran, who was retiring, and it was here that his son John, and his daughter, Helen, were born. Both survive him as does his granddaughter, Nikki Haughton Todd, of Manchester, Tenn. Nikki's small son and daughter--his great-grandchildren--were a source of great pride to him. Preceding him In death. In recent years, were his wife, Bertha, and a beloved grandson, John Richard Haughton.

Many big city hospitals tried to lure Dr. Haughton away from Greenup. He was not only a very fine doctor but he had uncanny skill as a diagnostician and many attractive offers were made to him. All of these he rejected because be loved being a "family doctor". He was one of the last of that vanishing breed--the ''general practitioner". This was what he liked because he knew not only his patient but the patient's entire family and where and how he lived. Who among you has not been cheered to hear him say, "Oh, you won't die this time"? And who has not tried to pay for medicine, at some time, only to be told, "That Is just a sample a salesman left, we'll try it out on you"? Many have heard him say, "I never worked a day In my life. It Isn't work when you like what you are doing". Nature was his hobby and he  knew it well.
He loved and cared for the birds. He had an amazing knowledge of plants and trees and shrubs of all kinds and even when they were foreign to our climate and soil, they grew and thrived for him. Is there anyone who has not had a fig off the tree by the " office door—The fig tree which he buried every Fall and dug up every Spring? Many have small holly trees which "Doc" started from his healthy, thriving parent trees. It he had the time to spare, he sent everyone home with something from his garden. In the growing season and almost everyone has something growing which was given them by "Doc". These are living memorials for all of us.

Dr. Haughton had had a very happy, restful winter vacation In Florida with his daughter, Helen. They planned to go back next year and even spent some time looking for the right spot for another winter. He was anxious and ready to come home,how-ever, and perhaps he did It too soon. Perhaps he should not have tried to dig up the fig tree. We must be comforted by the thought that he was doing what he wanted to do. He had had a long, happy, tremendously useful life and, certainly, no one In our area was ever more loved and respected. Clubs, organizations of all kinds had begged him to allow the town to have a Haughton Day to honor him. This he firmly rejected because he wanted no attention, no praise, no publicity of any kind. Quiet and unassuming as he was, he shunned any such honors but he was pleased when St. Anthony Hospital, In Effingham, recently made mention of the fact that he had been on It's staff for fifty-seven years. What can you say of such a man? No one will ever be more sorely missed. He has healed, comforted and advised us all.  None of us know how we can get along without him but of his faith we know this— "Who plants a seed beneath the sod And sees It grow- Knows God." Graveside services were held 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Greenup Cemetery with Rev. Darrell Montgomery officiating and  Bishop Funeral Home In Charge. Memorial donations may be made to the American Heart Fund or to the Haughton Park Fund, both payable to the Greenup National Bank.

Dr. N. J. Haughton, 92,
Greenup, Dies Saturday
GREENUP -- Dr. Nicholas John Haughton, 92, of Greenup, died at 11:25 p.m. Saturday at St. Anthony's Hospital in Terre Haute, Ind.
Dr. Haughton had practiced medicine in Greenup for the past 61 years and was practicing up until two months before his death. In some cases he had delivered as babies up to four generations of families.
He was born Sept. 19, 1879,: in   Russellville;   the   son of Andrew   and    Peme Pamela Lock   Haughton.   He married the former Bertha Best, who died in 1971.
Survivors include one son, John of Greenup; one daughter, Helen of Greenup; one grandchild, and two great-grandchildren.
Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Greenup Cemetery. There will be no visitation. Bishop Funeral Home in Greenup is handling arrangements.
The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to either the Heart Fund or to the Haughton Memorial Park Fund in Greenup.

Bertha Haughton Dies Friday
Mrs. N. J. Haughton, 86, of Greenup, died at 4 a.m. Friday at home.
She was the daughter of William and Sarah Horner Best and was born December 8, 1884. She leaves her husband, Dr. N. J. Haughton; daughter, Helen; and son, John; all of Greenup. Also surviving Is a grand-daughter, Mrs. Nicki Todd, and two great-grand-children. Funeral services were held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday May 23, 1971 In the Bishop Funeral Home, Greenup with burial in the Greenup Cemetery.
We wish to thank every one for the flowers, food, cards and other kindnesses
we received during the long illness and death our loved one, Bertha Haughton.
The Family

Herring, Margarette G.
Margarette G. Herring, 88, Greenup, homemaker, died Monday (May 24, 2004). Services: 11 a.m. Thursday, Barkley Funeral Chapel, Greenup. Visitation: 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Burial: Harmony Cemetery, Greenup.

Hetzer, Philip
Philip Hetzer departed Wednesday, September 115th, 1871. The deceased was a inert universally esteemed for his good and upright qualities as a citizen. He was unassuming in life, living quietly and peaceable with those around him. For many years his health was feeble yet he was ...patient and submissive, industrious, moral and upright.
Philip Hetzer was the noblest work of God. An honest man. in his death (Wed., 15th Sep. 1871), his family have lost a kind and indulgent father and community an exemplary citizen.
[Cumb. Democ., Friday, October 1871

Hetzer, Philip,
departed this earth Wednesday, September 15th 1871. The deceased was a man universally esteemed for his good and upright qualities as a citizen. He was unassuming in life, living quietly and peaceful with those around him. for many years his health was feeble yet he was patient and submissive, industrious, moral and upright.
Philip Hetzer was the noblest work of God. An honest man. In his death his family have lost a kind and indulgent father and community an exemplary citizen.
(Cumberland Democrat Friday Oct. 1871)

One person was killed instantly and two others were seriously injured about two o'clock this morningin Route 25 about two miles north of Sigel in Shelby County when a south bound Buick automobile and a north bound sport model Ford crashed head on folding together like an accordion.
The Dead:
Higgins, Bernard 18-year-old son of Mrs. Rosa Higgins who lives eight miles south of Mattoon in Route 25 at the Lambert School home with her daughter, Mrs. Max Young.
The Injured:
Harry Boehn, 60, Effingham, chest injuries, scalp- wounds and fracture of the left leg below the knee. His chances for recovery are fair.
Eli Adams, 43, Effingham, skull fracture, bruises from head to feet, left arm broken. He is unconscious and his recovery is doubtful.
 Was En Route Home
Young Higgins had been to Effingham to call upon a friend and was en route home when the collision ocurred. Messers Boehn and Adams were south-bound, en route to Effingham, with the former serving as driver. Indications were that both automobiles were at fast speed. Each driver had a straight view ahead but the night was foggy and the air full of mist.
Higgins was believed to have died instantly, his having been badly crushed. After the accident the gasoline tank of the light car exploded, setting fire to the wreckage, with the dead youthheld so tightly that the youth could not be removed. This car burned up and the dead body was badly charred.
Raymond Ashmore and Richard Walter of Mattoon, young men on their way home from Evansville, where they had played in an orchestra, were in the third car to approach the scene of the accident. They found Zip Ewing of Neoga on the scene and joined him in an effort to remove the dead body which they could see within the wreckage of the burning car.
Witness Describes Scene
Ewing and John Powell of Neoga were the first on the scene and Powell took the injured men to Effingham in an automobile leaving Ewing to watch the wreckage.
     "It was a horrible sight" said Young Ashmore.  "Powell, Walter and I got close enough to the burning wreckage on one occasion to try to haul out the dead body but the wreckage held it too fast, After that the fire in the wreckage raged so hot that we could not approach nearer than five feet. Later an automobile wrecker arrived and we used a bucket of the wrecker's equipment in an attempt to extinguish the flames. After the fire was extinguished the charred body was removed by a Neoga
Obit contributed by Robert (Bob) Young
( A horrific accident from the January 1931 Neoga News. Bernard Higgins was the brother of my mother Neva (Higgins) Young. I am old enough to know that the Model A Ford had a gas tank at the rear of the engine in front of the dash board thus providing a gravity feed for gasoline to the carburetor of the engine. In accidents it was subject to fire and burning up the car which is what happened to Bernard. I can still remember his mother Rosa Higgins weeping very early in the morningwhen we learned of the accident. )

Hill, J.D. - The body of J.D. Hill 82, a resident northwest of Toledo was placed permanently in the mausoleum in Dodge Grove cem. at 3:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Funeral Services were held at United Brethren Church at Johnstown at 1:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Mr. Hill passed away at his home Friday night; due to infirmities of age. He is survived by 2 sisters, Mrs. Charles Wisely of Toledo, and Mrs. Thomas Morgan of Mattoon. Those who attended the funeral from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. E. Nelms of Springfield, Mrs. Grace H. Brewer of Springfield, Mrs. P. E. Raessner of Kansas City, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sparks of White Heath, Ill, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Morgan of St. Louis and Mr. and Mrs. Tom Cathers of Gilman. (src:
Holsapple, George W., was born in Washington County, Indiana, August 8,1829, died March 12, 1915, aged 85 years, 7 months and 3 days. On March 27, 1856, he married Sarah C. Aldrich, Rev. Joseph Wharton reading the ceremony. They had seven children, Barlow N.; John; Mary; Reuben E.; Alma Barger, George C.; and Grace L. Ward. Mary died young and Sarah C. died July 21,1894. They came to Cumberland Co. in 1367. Left brothers J.W. Eli, and Clifford, sisters Mrs, Geo. St. John and Mrs. Joseph Titus.

Holt, Mahala died on Wednesday, March 18th, 1874 she was the mother of William Holt and in her 67th year of life. the deceased was born in Green County, Pa. and moved to Ohio with her parents and thence to Illinois in the fall of 1864, where she resided until the time of her death. Mrs. Holt was a member of the Old School Baptist Church and was a good Christian woman, endeavoring by her good examples to be an ornament to society. for the 30 years she was a member of that church, she endeavored to live a Christian Life and died in the full belief of a glorious hereafter. She leaves a large circle of friends and relatives to mourn her loss.
(Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, Friday March 20-27 1874 page 3 column 1)

Huffcut, Armien - Word was received in Greenup Monday that Armien Huffcut had suicided by shooting himself. Huffcut, who resided in Jasper close to the Cumberland line, went out into the yard Monday morning with a rifle. pulling off one shoe to have free use of his toe, he placed the rifle to his forehead and pressed the trigger with his toe. Death was instantaneous. He left a wife and 3 children. Original source: Toledo Democrat, reprinted in the Newton Press on Sep 17, 1890

Huisinga, Belva
Belvah Huisingsa age 98, of Casey, died at 2:20 p.m. Monday (Aug. 22, 2005) at Heartland Manor Nursing Center. She was a homemaker. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Wednesday (Aug. 24) at the Markwell & Son Funeral Home, with the Rev. Tom Marsh officiating. Burial will follow in the Casey-Cumberland Cemetery. Friends may call one-hour prior to the service Wednesday at the funeral home. The family suggests that memorial donations be made to a church of the donor?s choice. Mrs. Huisinga was born Feb. 13, 1907, at Greenup, the daughter of Marshall Gabel and Luberta Linneberry Gabel. She married Herbert B. Huisinga on March 3, 1929. He died Feb. 4, 1993. She is survived by one son, Dale L. Huisinga of Casey; one daughter, Marilyn L. Honselman of Casey; 8 grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by three brothers and one sister.

Hurt, Evah
Evah L. Hurt, 90, of Greeup, died at 9:15 p.m. Tuesday (July 6, 2004) at Cumberland Nursing Center in Greenup. The funeral will be 10 a.m. Friday at the Calvary Tabernacle U.P.C. in Toledo. Burial will be in the Washington Cemetery rural Crooked Creek Township. Visitation will be 6-8 p.m. today at Barkley Funeral Chapel in Greenup. She was born July 14, 1913, in Union Center, daughter of Henry and Rose Rhue Kuhn. She married Noble Hurt in 1940; he died in 1981. Survivors include three sons, Steve and Rick Hurt, both of Casey and Danny Hurt of Greenup; two daughters, Nancy Croft of Mattoon and Nickie Krile of Windsor; 17 grandchildren; two step-grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren and three step great-grandchildren. She was also preceded in death by three brothers, three sisters, and one grandchild. Mrs. Hurt was a homemaker. She was a member of the Calvary Tabernacle United Pentecostal Church in Toledo.

Jayne, Richard of Toledo KIA [World War II] - Death reported 7 July 1944

Jenkins, James E. - Death of James E. Jenkins....oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Jenkins residing on a farm near Lerna passed away at the Oakwood hospital at ...o'clock Saturday morning after an illness of about five weeks which originated with a serious and sudden attack of appendicitis. Later he developed peritonitis which necessitated two other serious major operations, the last resulting in his death.
Funeral services were held at Farmington Sunday morning at 11 a.m. were conducted by Eld. F.M. Tate on the of many relatives and friends. On conclusion of the services, interment took place at Janesville cemetery. Mr. Jenkins was united in marriage to Miss Sylvia Starwalt of Lerna ... and to this union was born one child who died in infancy. Surviving to mourn his loss he leaves his wife, Sylvia Starwalt Jenkins, the parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Jenkins and the following brothers and sisters, besides a host of friends to mourn his loss, Mrs. John Poe,Chicago, Mrs. A.O. Hall, Charleston, Thomas and Charles Jenkins both of whom reside near Lerna, and John, Sara, Dorothy, Dessie, and Alice at home. Mr. Jenkins who had followed farming most of his life, was born
near Toledo, Ill. Nov 13,1901. He professed Christ during his illness and was prepared to meet his God. The Lerna Weekly Eagle January 28, 1927 (contrib. by
Jenkins, John U. - was born in Delaware county, Ohio April 16, 1826. He was married to Mary Parker in 1843. who died in 1865. To this union were born 7 children, two of whom survive him - Ervin and Perry Jenkins. He was united in marriage to Nancy Haddock in 1896 [1866] Uncle Johnie lived for a number of years in Coles county near the Mineral springs. In this neighborhood he and his kind wife were well liked and greatly loved by their neighbors. He moved from this community a few years ago down into Cumberland county two miles east of Toledo, where he lived until his death. Saturday February 12, 1910, at the ripe old age of 83. He leaves a wife, two sons, and step-son and daughter, 15 grandchildren, and many other relatives and
friends to mourn the loss of Uncle Johnnie. Funeral services were held at the home of his step son, Thomas Haddock, Sunday February 18 [13]. The sermon was preached by the Rev. Perry L. York at 12 o'clock, from the text, "And now Lord, what wait I for? My hope is in Thee." Psalms 39:7 Interment was made in the Toledo cemetery. Deceased was converted when a boy and united to the U.B. church. The Toledo Democrat Toledo, Ill. Thursday February 17,1910 (contrib. by
Jenkins, Perry - Death Called Perry Jenkins....aged 75 years, a resident of Janesville who has been taking
treatment at the Charleston hospital for some days died at the hospital at 6:15 o'clock Saturday night. The remains were taken to Janesville this morning where the funeral and burial services were held. The Charleston Courier, Monday October 18 1920 (src:

Jenner, Mona Ioala, 83, of  West Salem, died at 9:43 p.m. Sunday September 2001, at Richland Memorial Hospital in Olney. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Ingram Funeral Home in West Salem. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at first Christian Church in West Salem. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery in Parkersburg. Mrs. Jenner was born on July 20 1918, in Cumberland County, the daughter of Sanford and Ada (Bousman) Fitzpatrick. She married Edgar Jenner on December 21, 1940, in St. Louis, Missouri. He proceded her in death. She was a member of the First Christain Church in West Salem and was in the quilting club at the church. She was a homemaker and a volunteer at Wabash Christain Retirement Center and at blood drives. Mrs. Jenner is survived by three sons, Darrel Jenner and his wife Janet, of Albion, Theron Jenner and his wife, Alberta, of West Salem, and Keith Jenner and his wife Debbie of Olney; a brother Bruce Fitzpatrick, of Spring Hills, Florida; and eight grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and one step-grandchild. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, and a sister. Memorials may be made t Wabash Christian Retirement Center of Carmi.
(obit was contributed by

Jenuine, Eliza Leamon
Eliza Leamon was born in Hartford, Ohio, February 15, 1831, and died in Greenup, Illinois October 29, 191? (the last number has crumbled off)  aged 84 years.
She married to George Jenuine in October 1870.  To this union was born one son who with his daughter Blanch survive her.  She with her husband who died many years ago were charter members of the Universalist church in Greenup as long as her strength permitted she was identified with all the activities of the church and Sunday school and for years she was the leading spirit of the Women’s Alliance.
She was not only interested in the church at home but was ever working for the interest of the denomination and supported it in every possible manner.  Faithful to duty, trusting to God and relying on his care.  Her life is an enduring testimony to the worth of the faith she so dearly loved.  She left as a last request that the service be a Universalist sermon conducted by a Universalist minister at the Universalist church, which request was complied with.
Services was also held in the afternoon at Walnut Chapel in which vicinity she was for several years a teacher.  The pall bearers were her former pupils.  Rev. E. M. Miner conducted both services and she was laid to rest in the nearby cemetery.
Unknown what paper the article is from.
From the scrapbook of George W. Orndorff (1854-1934) of  Casey & Johnson Twp, Clark County.
Transcribed by S. Barhydt, great-granddaughter (

Johnston, Mrs. Fannie, wife of James H. Johnston and daughter of Rev. N and E.P. Hawley died at the residence of her husband. The deceased was born at New Hebron, Illinois on October 1st 1848, and died at Olney, Illinois on July 4th 1874, after a long and protracted illness. Mrs. Johnston leaves a husband, an infant son and a large circle of friends to mourn her loss.
       Less than two years ago, we published the marriage of Mr. Johnston and Miss Hawley, and little at the time did we think, that we would so soon be called upon to record the death of the fair young bride and living wife...but alas, such is the case, and she who a short time ago, started life's journey with bright hopes and happy prospects, now sleep that sleep, that knows no waking...while her sorrowing companion weeps for his fair young bride!
(Cumberland Democrat, Majority Point, July 17, 1874 page 3 column 4)

Jones, Miss Lucy
Died at Jewett, Illinois at half past eight o'clock, Sunday evening, March 2’d 1873. Miss Lucy Jones, daughter of OP. JONES, age L7 years and 9 months.
The deceased was a young lady of more than ordinary and in being position and high and noble qualities of mind and person. Lucy was only known to be loved an esteemed and her quite lady like deportment endeared her to all and although cut down in the early morning of life and claimed the victim of the dread deaf over the   left a   name and memory, that is bright and pure and silence respendent even though the dark and cheerless Lamb shuts out from view her mortal form. And although lost to sight, her name shall ever be fresh and green in   and her memory cherished as long as time shall last. Her friends do not mourn without hope, for they feel assured that one so young, so innocent, so pure and good has gone to a happier and better world, where sorrow and death never . . . .Alas! Lucy has passed.

Justice, Everett T. - 76, of rural Greenup died at 11:45 a.m. Monday in his home. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at the Bishop Funeral Home, Greenup.
He was born April 21, 1904, in Coles County, a son of William and Bessie Justice. He married Verdin Pearcey, who survives. Also surviving are five sons, William, Rick and Granville, all of Greenup, and Doyl and Curtis, both of Casey; one daughter, Judy Cassidy of Accokeek, Md. And 13 grandchildren. Mr. Justice was a retired farmer. [Charleston Courier? - April 8, 1981]

THE TOLEDO DEMOCRAT- Thursday, June 28, 1906
Keller, Harriet ( Aunt)
Tuesday night, at her home at Neal, Aunt Harriet Keller, one of Cumberland county's oldest residents, passed away, aged above 90 years. Funeral services will be held today(Thursday) and the interment will be in Drummond cemetery.
[Too late for last week.]
The celebration at this place Saturday afternoon was well attended.
Grandma Keller, the oldest resident of this community, passed away at the home of her son-in-law, John Gadberry, Tuesday evening. If she had lived a few days longer she would been 93 years old. `She died principally of old age. She leaves two sons and three daughters, besides several grandchildren and great-grand-children and a host of friends to mourn her departure. Funeral services were held in the Christian church at this place Thursday evening, after which the interment took place in the Drummond cemetery.
[taken from the TOLEDO DEMOCRAT 12 July 1906]
Submitted by Kate Keller Bourland

Keller, Riley:
An Old Pioneer Crosses the River........
Uncle Riley Keller, who is well and favorable known to almost everybody in the county, died at his residence about seven miles west of Toledo, on Saturday last. He had been in poor health for a number of weeks past, and on the above date did not seem to be any worse than usual. He was sitting in a chair, when all at once he arose, walked to a bed, layed down and breathed his last in a few moments. His passage to the great beyond was unattended with any pain. The spring which gave life and animation to the machinery of the body for so many years had run down, and the spirit had departed from its house of clay.
Uncle Riley, as he was familiarly called, was born in North Carolina, Dec. 19, 1811. Like Douglas, when a mere boy he became enamored with the western fever, left home, kindred and native hills to encounter the trails and tribulations of the then haunts of Indians and lairs of wild beasts. Staying in Indiana until the Black Hawk war broke out, in 1832, he enlisted in that campaign as a "ranger" and served to the end. Always fond of his gun and adventure, Uncle Riley did valiant service to his country, and made many hair-breadth escapes. If we are not mistaken there is but one of the Black Hawk war veterans left in the county to recount the adventures of that trying time to the early settlers, and that is Uncle Jimmy Ewing, a resident of Neoga township. Green Smith and Dan Needham, and now Uncle Riley, have paid the debt that all must sooner or later pay.
With a land warrant in his pocket Uncle Riley came to this county in the fall of 1851. With a gun on his shoulder and a face covered with a smile he approached Uncle John Prather's log cabin, that was just receiving the finishing touches in the way of a "chinkin" door, was Uncle Riley's first introduction to those who afterwards becomes his neighbors and who in all the succeeding years knew him only to respect him.
The funeral services on last Sunday was largely attended and was conducted by Rev. Isaac Hayes, Baptist minister, who delivered a remarkable touching and eloquent funeral discourse. The funeral cortege, numbering some sixty wagons and buggies, almost reached from the family residence to the Drummond cemetery, where the remains were deposited in their last resting place, to await the summons of Him who doeth all things well.
The family of the deceased have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. CUMBERLAND DEMOCRAT - July30, 1885 - Toledo, Illinois Contributed by Kate Keller Bourland at Riley Keller is her gggrandfather

Kelly, Lois Maxine
Lois Maxine Kelly, 93, Hazel Dell, Ill., died July 21, 2005, at The Waters of Martinsville.
The daughter of the late Elza and Ann (Glidewell) Timmons, she was born March 19, 1912, in Greenup, Ill. She was the widow of Lewis Kelly, whom she married Nov. 26, 1930. He died in 1990. Kelly was a homemaker. Survivors include a son, Robert Kelly, Hazel Dell, Ill., daughter, Norma Higginbotham, Martinsville, six grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren. Three brothers, a sister and one grandchild also preceded her in death. The service will be 2 p.m. Monday, July 25, 2005, at Barkley Funeral Chapel in Hazel Dell, Ill. Burial will be in Hazel Dell Cemetery in Hazel Dell, Ill.

Kibler, Dorothy
Dorothy "Dot" Kibler, 94, Greenup, homemaker, died Wednesday (Sept. 22, 2004). Services: 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Bishop Funeral Home, Greenup. Visitation: one hour before services. Burial: Block Cemetery, Greenup.

Koontz, Elmer H. - son of Liberty and Eliza Koontz, b. in Jasper County November 25, 1893 and died at Montrose, Nov. 19, 1927, aged 33 years, 11 mos. and 24 days. He m. Emma Foltz in March 1918.... Survivors include his wife, father, step-mother, five brothers, two sisters, one step-brother and two step-sisters: Mrs. Ethel Larson of Hazen, North Dakota, William Koontz of Rose Hill, Lea Koontz of Newton, Floyd Koontz of Gary, Ind., Lloyd Koontz of Toledo, Mrs. Mabel Whiteside of Decatur, Delbert Koontz and Bernandine Hunt at home, Eugene Hunt and Mrs. Gladys White of Rose Hill. Funeral services were held at Montrose and the remains were taken to Kern cemetery.... Nov. 22, 1927

Return To The Main Cumberland County Page