A leading and important enterprise of Evansville, and one which contributes to the prestige of this city as a point of manufacture, is the Standard Brick Manufacturing Company. Since 1903, the office of secretary-treasurer of this concern has rested in the hands of John Andres, who, in addition, is largely interested in civic affairs and has been active in various ways in the development of the city's welfare. Mr. Andres was born not far from Chicago, at Somonauk, DeKalb county, Illinois, January 13, 1870, and is a son of Rev. John and Magdalina (Schoepflin) Andres. His father, born August 31, 1840, in Switzerland, was a graduate of a theological seminary at Basle, Switzerland, and was sent by the Church of England to Argentine, South America, and Patagonia territory, in the same country, and was engaged in missionary work there for five years. Returning then to Switzerland, he married Magdalina Schoepflin, who was born May 22, 1839, in the province of Baden, Germany, and attended a college at Carlsruhe near Strassburg. Shortly after their marriage they emigrated to the United States, in 1866, and here Reverend Andres held various charges. He died in 1896, at Henderson, Kentucky, where for five years he had been pastor of the Zion Evangelical Church. Mrs. Andres survived her husband until May 2, 1902, when she passed away at Henderson. There were four children in the family: John, of this review; Gottlieb, employed by the Parson-Scoville Grocery Company; Rev. Benjamin, pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Bardstown, Kentucky; and Obed, a locomotive engineer with the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. The public school education of John Andres was acquired in different points in Ohio and Michigan, but the greater part of his schooling was obtained at Cleveland, Ohio, where his father had charge of the oldest Evangelical Church of the city for eight years. The family income was not large, and John, the second eldest of the brothers, entered the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Company, January 10, 1884, at Cleveland. He started as a messenger boy, but before leaving had worked his way up to operator and had worked every wire with the exception of the Associated Press wire. Mr. Andres then went to Henderson, Kentucky, with his father, and took a clerical position with the Hodge Tobacco Company, a concern with which he was identified for three years, after which he connected himself with the Planters State Bank at Henderson, where he remained for eight years. He embarked in the brick manufacturing business through the invitation of H. C. Kleymeyer, joining the Standard Brick Manufacturing Company as secretary and treasurer in 1903. These positions he has retained to the present, with offices in the Furniture Building. Mr. Andres has been a member of the water works board of Evansville for eight years, and, having previously been president, was again chosen to hold that office in 1923 and still retains it. In politics he is a republican, and is minority member of the water works board. He belongs also to the board of the Evansville Rescue Mission; is a director of the Indiana State Sunday School Association; was formerly treasurer of the Henderson (Kentucky) Young Men's Christian Association for seven years; was formerly on the Boys' Work Committee of the Y. M. C. A. for ten years; is past president of the Rotary Club; is serving his third term as treasurer of the Manufacturers' Association; and has been an associate member of the Real Estate Board practically since its organization. During the past fourteen years Mr. Andres has been superintendent of St. Luke's Evangelical Church Sunday School, and for ten years was a member of the executive board of the Vanderburgh County Sunday School Association. November 24, 1897, Mr. Andres married Miss Caroline Kleymeyer, of Henderson, Kentucky, daughter of Henry and Louise (Bruning) Kleymeyer, and to this union there have come three daughters: Louise M., Adele W. and Marianna. ["History of Indiana", Vol. 3 - transcribed by A. Jowers]
SHUBAL T. ARMSTRONG
Shubal T. Armstrong, Deputy Clerk of De Kalb County, resident at Sycamore, was born Dec. 14, 1834, in Chautauqua Co., N.Y. His parents, Dr. Thomas and Joanna (Terry) Armstrong, were natives of Washington Co., N.Y., and in 1831 removed thence to Chautauqua County. When the son, who is the subject of this sketch, was nine months old, the family transferred their residence to Erie Co., N. Y. settling in Evans Township. In 1840 they went to Wisconsin and settled in Union, Rock County, where they were pioneer settlers. The father practiced his profession there 12 years, removing with his family thence to Sandwich, De Kalb County, where he established his business and has since continued its prosecution. Mr. Armstrong accompanied his parents in their varied migrations, and was an inmate of the parental household until 1861. When he was 16 years of age he became interested in civil engineering and began the practical pursuit of the business of operating as flagman. While in Wisconsin in 1852-5, he was employed at intervals in the Government survey. In the year named he set out for an overland journey to California. He prospected on the route and arrived in the Golden State in February, 1862. He had acquired a thorough knowledge of civil engineering and entered into the prosecution of that business, in which he operated until 1865. In that year he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in farming in Rock County, in which he was engaged three years, coming to De Kalb County in 1868. He interested himself in agricultural operations in Milan Township, in which pursuit he passed three years, removing at the expiration of that period to Sycamore. In 1871 Mr. Armstrong was elected County Surveyor and continued to discharge the duties of the incumbency until 1884. During four years of the included period he operated in the interests of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, surveying lands in Iowa and Dakota. In 1884 he was appointed to the position whose duties he is discharging with entire satisfaction to all concerned. His marriage to Eunice Richardson took place in 1855. She is a native of Chautauqua Co., N. Y.. Seven children have been born of their union — Hattie, May, Annie, Elizabeth, Carlotta, Nevada and Arthur.[Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
George F. BARBER
BARBER, George Franklin, architect; born DeKalb Co., Ill., July 30, 1854; son of Lyman R. and Cornelia A. (Spring) Barber; father’s occupation farmer; educated in local schools of DeKalb Co., Ill.; in early life was a builder for ten years; in 1888 published an architectural design in a New York Journal, and has since been furnishing plans for out of town architectural work to all parts of the world; married Laura A. Chaney Oct. 8, 1878; Republican; member of Christian church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]
HENRY LAMSON BOIES
Henry Lamson Boies, editor of the True Republican, published at Sycamore, was born July 5, 1830, at South Hadley, Mass., and is the son of Artemas and Susan (Lamson) Boies. In the paternal line of descent he comes of Huguenot ancestry. His patronymic also unmistakably proclaims his French origin and refers to the estates which his earliest progenitors received from the sovereigns of France. By the persecution of the Huguenots under Cardinal Richelieu they were driven to Scotland, and, enlisting under Cromwell, were sent to Northern Ireland, from which as Scotch-Irish they emigrated to Massachusetts about 1680. Artemas Boies, the father, was born in 1792, in Blandford, Mass. His natural abilities and education fitted him for a high sphere of usefulness and activity and he became a clergyman of the Congregational Church, attaining distinction in his profession and, dying, left his sons the heritage of the name he bore, ennobled by a life of stainless integrity and eminent devotion to the trusts imposed by the obligations of his ministry. In 1835 he moved his family and interests to Boston, and five years later made another transfer to New London, Conn., where he died Sept. 20, 1845. The mother was born in the year 1800, in Keene, N. H. In her widowhood she returned to the place of her nativity and there passed a score and a half of years, dying in September, 1876. Mr. Boies was the parent of seven children, four of whom have passed to the mystic realms of the life beyond. The oldest surviving son, William E. Boies, is his father's mantle-bearer, and has been a clergyman of the Congregational Church for a period of years extending nearly to the time of his father's demise. He resides at Long Meadow, Mass. Lauretta M. is the youngest living child, and resides at Rye, N. Y. Mr. Boies of this sketch inherited the consumptive tendencies of his family. He had been trained intellectually with much care in his boyhood and youth, and at 20 was seized with pulmonary hemorrhage. Change from the severe climate of New England was necessary, and he passed the winter of 1850 in the Azores, receiving benefit in more than one respect, and returning to America by the way of Liverpool and London. He went to Charleston, S. C. to pass the winter following and taught school a year in the Palmetto State. His health had improved so much that he returned North with renewed courage to engage in business. In 1852 he bought an interest in a gunpowder factory at Catskill, N. Y. Three months later he was again in the toils of his former disease, and he decided on a change of climate and a career which would give him the benefit of open air. With this view he came to De Kalb Co., Ill., in 1854, and became the proprietor of a farm situated in the town of South Grove. In 1858 he located at Sycamore. He now owns 20 acres of land within the corporation of Sycamore, and also a farm of 320 acres in Hand Co., Dak. He platted Boies' First Addition to Sycamore in 1865. In 1871 he laid out a second addition, and a third in 1876. In 1858, associated with John R. Hamlin, he initiated the project which resulted in the construction of the Sycamore and Cortland Railroad, connecting with one of the main routes of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway and now the property of that corporation. In 1863 Mr. Boies became connected with the True Republican, and in 1865 became its editor. It is one of the leading journals of the county. He is also the author of "Boies' History of De Kalb County," a valuable compilation for purposes of statistical reference, which was published in 1867. Mr. Boies has been a valuable and important factor in the development of Sycamore. His enterprise and public spirit have added greatly to the rate of progress of this section, and he is widely known and justly esteemed in all his private and public relations. He obtained the appointment of Postmaster at Sycamore and officiated four years. His latest public service was in 1870, when he was appointed Secretary of the Illinois State Senate. The marriage of Mr. Boies to Harriet S. Holmes took place Feb. 9, 1858, at Springfield, Mass. Mrs. Boies is the daughter of Alexander and Margaret (Rumrill) Holmes, and is a native of Sherburne, N. Y. Edward Irving, oldest son, was born Feb. 20, 1860, and is assistant editor of the True Republican. Charles Artemas was born Jan. 3, 1863, and is a farmer in Hand Co., Dak. Lucy M. was born Feb. 3. 1865. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Charles Douglas BOYNTON
Lumberman, merchant and real estate owner; born, Sycamore, ILL., Aug. 10, 1862; son of Charles Oakes and Lucetta Pauline (Stark) Boynton; educated public schools of Sycamore, ILL., Racine College, Racine, Wis., and Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, N. J.; married, Sycamore, ILL., Oct. 27, 1891, Cora Belle Farrar. Began active career as cashier of the Bank of Arcadia, Ia., 1886; went to Mexico, 1888, and soon afterwards to Austin, New; cashier Bank of Austin, 1889-91; engaged in mining, etc.; president First National Bank, of Carroll, Ia., 1892; was actively identified with banking and real estate until 1898; proprietor Boone Democrat, Boone, la., 1896 and 1897; manager Boynton Lumber Co., Cape Girardeau, Mo., 1900-06; organized the Boynton Land & Lumber Co., 1906 of which has since been president, the company maintaining offices at Boynton, Ark., and St. Louis; also director International Bank. Independent Democrat. Member Alpha Tau Omega college fraternity, B. P. O. Elks. Club: Mercantile. Recreations: hunting, baseball and athletics. Office: 508 Security Bldg. Residence: 44 Kingsbury Terrace. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
ADOLPHUS W. BROWER
Adolphus W. Brower, resident at Sycamore, was born Aug. 13, 1845, in Kenosha Co., Wis. In paternal descent he is a representative of the Hollanders who settled the State of New York in 1620. His paternal great-grandfather came from the Netherlands, in a vessel commanded by Hendrick Hudson and called “Die Guten Frau " (the good woman), and, with his wife, Jemima (Quackenboss) Brower, settled at Nyack on the Jersey shore. Later he went to the State of New York, where he was a pioneer settler, and was identified with the class distinguished as "Knickerbockers." Adolphus Brower, son of the above, was born July 31, 1777, and married Elizabeth Baker. She was born Feb. 25, 1775, and became the mother of three sons and four daughters. The husband was fife-major in the war of 1812. The threatened invasion of the British aroused the latent indignation of the people, and men and women alike devoted themselves to the labor of erecting intrenchments [sic]. The chorus of a song which was then popular and manifested the quality of the prevailing spirit, ran as follows: “Pickaxe, shovel, spade; Crowbar, hoe and barrow; You’d better not invade; Yankees got the marrow.” Adolphus Brower and his wife died at the age of 78 years, William B. Brower, their youngest son, was born Oct. 6, 1803, in Brooklyn, N. Y. He was married March 20, 1825, to Paulina Broadway. Her father, Frasier Broadway, was born April 16, 1778, and in 1800 was married to Hannah Weed. She was born Sept. 1, 1777, and died aged 84 years. Their family comprised four daughters and four sons. All the latter, in later life, pursued the calling of their father, who was a butcher. T. E. and Alfred Broadway, became prominent in their business and were located at 844 Broadway, New York, for many years. W. B. Brower went lo Wisconsin in 1837, and was among the earliest pioneers of Salem, afterwards called Wheatland, and now known as Randall, the original township being now divided into three distinct towns. He left New York Aug. 7, of the year named, and arrived at what is now Kenosha on the first day of September following. At the date of his location the Menomonee or Black Hawk Indians were numerous in the vicinity. On the admission of Wisconsin as a Slate, in 1848, he was one of the first appointees to the position of Justice of the Peace by the Governor. Paulina (Broadway) Brower was born June 30, 1805, in Vermont, and became the mother of eight children. Elizabeth was born May 12, 1828, and is the wife of Henry Parmelee, of Geneva, Wis. John H. was born May 8, 1832, and is engaged in speculating at Kenosha, Wis. William B., born May 20, 1834, is the manager of the homestead. Hannah, born May 5, 1839, is the wife of V. C. Reynolds and resides on the home farm. Anna, born May 1, 1843, is the wife of M. L. Hoffman, a stock dealer in Kenosha County. A. W. is the next in order of birth. Emmeline, born Aug. 27, 1849, married William Wilcox, of Geneva, Wis. One child died in infancy. Mr. Brower was brought up at home in the Badger State until he was 15 years of age, when he was placed at a business college in St. Louis, Mo. He made a special study of penmanship, and devoted six months to the acquisition of a complete knowledge of telegraphy. Soon after returning home he went to the city of New York, and a few months later became interested in travel. He came to Sycamore in 1872, and, associated with Marshall Stark (deceased), engaged in the sale of lumber, pursuing that enterprise about two years. He formed his present business connection May 1, 1877, by the purchase of an interest in the firm relations of Whittemore & Chamberlain, the copartnership now comprising three members. They carry an average stock of $13,500, including all the lines of goods common to such establishments and suited to their patronage. Their business embraces, besides the ordinary trade in hardware, a large amount of repairing. Mr. Brower was married May 20, 1874, to Ella Stark. She is the daughter of Marshall and Louisa Stark, and was born at Sycamore, Feb. 10, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Brower have two children: Anna was was [sic] born Feb. 24, 1S78; and Floyd E. was born Aug. 4, 1880. Their first child, Marshall William, was born Aug. 25, 1876, and died when about 10 weeks old. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
DAVID D. BROWN
David D. Brown, Mayor of De Kalb, and member of the lumber and real-estate firm of Brown & Young, was born Aug. 26, 1845, in Belvidere, N. J. His parents, C. M. and Catherine A. (De Pue) Brown, were natives of New Jersey, and were respectively of English and French origin. The family came to Illinois and settled in Sycamore, where the father established mercantile interests and became prominent in official positions, among which were those of Circuit Clerk and Recorder of De Kalb County. The family included three sons, of whom the two younger were Fred C. and Marshall L., and were the issue of the second marriage of the senior Brown, in 1850, to Louisa Jackman, of Sycamore. She was born in Vermont and is still living in Sycamore. The mother of Mr. Brown died at Sycamore in 1849. His father died there March 14, 1872. Until the age of 16 years Mr. Brown was a pupil at school, and in 1861 obtained a position as captain of a steamboat plying on the Tennessee River. He was employed at a later period as clerk in a store at Sycamore, and was occupied in that capacity until 1874. In the spring of that year he entered into partnership with C. A. Tyndall, of De Kalb, under the style of Tyndall & Brown, and established a mercantile enterprise. In September, 1876, Mr. Brown became sole proprietor of the business by purchase and continued its management until April, 1883, when he sold to C. A. Reed & Co. In the same month his present business relation was founded for the purpose of engaging in the lumber trade. Mr. Brown is a decided Republican and has been actively interested in the administration of the municipal affairs in De Kalb. He served three terms as Councilman, and in the spring of 1883 was elected Mayor for a biennial term. He is prominent in the Masonic fraternity, and has risen to the 32d degree in the order. He was married Feb. 8, 1872, to Alice J., daughter of Hiram and Sarah (Dygart) Ellwood, and they have two children. Zaida E. was born July 29, 1878. Sarah L. was born Nov. 27, 1881. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CHARLES D. CARTER, M. D.
Charles D. Carter, M. D., physician and surgeon at De Kalb, is a native of De Kalb County, having been born within its limits Nov. 19, 1858. He is the son of Orlando and Hulda (White) Carter. (See sketch of O. Carter.) Mr. Carter passed his early life in the manner common in the training and rearing of farmers' sons, and he obtained a fair education in the common schools which he attended as opportunity served, until he was 19 years of age, after which he began the study of medicine with the purpose of making it the vocation of his life. He alternated his periods of study with farm labor, and studied three years at Rush Medical College in Chicago, receiving the authority of that institution to enter upon the practice of medicine in 1882. He established his business at De Kalb, and is steadily gaining a substantial repute as a practitioner and founding a successful career in his profession. Dr. Carter is a Democrat in his political conviction, and is one of the foremost in character and promise of the young men of De Kalb County on whom is the dependence of the future generation.[Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CHARLES H. CHAMBERLAIN
Charles H. Chamberlain, farmer and stockman, located on sections 22 and 8, Franklin Township, was born March 18, 1849, near Belvidere, Boone Co., Ill. William H. Chamberlain, his father, was a native of Massachusetts and of Yankee lineage. He married Sarah Hart, a lady of the same nativity and similar descent. They located in Boone County, about 1840, the father becoming an extensive landholder and a prominent citizen. His death occurred in September 1873, when he was 55 years of age. He was a Democrat in political preferences. The mother is 67 years of age (1885) and still remains at Belvidere. Mr. Chamberlan obtained a district-school education, and was a pupil in that variety of institution until he was 16 years of age, when he began his career as an independent farmer, taking possession of a farm owned by his father in Franklin Township, in whose interest he conducted his operations until his father died. He received 280 acres from the division of the estate and has since engaged without intermission in the prosecution of his agricultural interests. He rents an additional 120 acres, and makes a specialty of raising sheep, breeding the Merinos. He is the eldest of six children, and inherits his father’s political views. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
WELLS G. CHAMBERLAIN
Wells G. Chamberlain, of the firm of Whittemore, Chamberlain & Co., and Sycamore, was born July 27, 1837, in Williamstown, Mass. Emery Chamberlain, his father, was a farmer and was born in Connecticut, Dec. 28, 1791. His death occurred Feb. 11, 1876. The mother of the subject of this sketch, Mary (Brownell) Chamberlain, was born in May, 1794, in Vermont, and died Feb. 13, 1871. Their marriage took place in 1810, and the period of their lives together embraced 60 years and 10 months. Eight of their 13 children are now living (1884). Mary, the wife of R. Starkus Buckley, died in Little Rock, Ark. Betsey died in youth. Laura married Charles Gardner, and they went to the Indian Territory, where Mr. Gardner was a teacher among the Choctaw Indians, in the employment of the United States Government. William Gardner, their son, was the first white child born in the Territory. Mr. Gardner is now teacher in the city of New York, where his wife died. Porter E. is a retired farmer, resident at Rockford, Ill. Emmeline is the widow of Dr. Sherwood, of Chicago. Thomas M. is a retired farmer living at Belvidere, Ill. Lucy is the wife of F. Sanderson, a merchant tailor of Beloit, Wis. Henry M. entered the Union army and returned thence to Madison, Wis., where he died. Warner E. is a fanner in Ashland, Minn. Jane S. married L. M. Van Buren, M. D., of Spirit Lake, Iowa. Kate died at Williamstown, Mass., when she was 19 years old. Mr. Chamberlain is the next in order of birth. When he was 16 years of age his father’s family removed to Beloit, Wis., and he was placed at the Mills Boarding School for boys at South Williamstown, where he was a student two years. He went to Beloit and became a clerk in the hardware store of A. P. Waterman and continued in that employment two years, after which he was occupied as an assistant on his father’s farm until he reached his majority. Mr. Chamberlain celebrated his attaining to man's estate by his marriage Aug. 19, 1858, to Emily A., daughter of Clark and Sally Giles. She was born Nov. 16, 1841, in Farmersville, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain, five of whom are still living. Mark was born Oct. 29, 1861, and is a carpenter and machinist, resident at Sycamore. Clark was born Aug. 30, 1864, and died April 5, 1865. Myrtie was born Dec. 25, 1865; Mary, Aug. 23, 1870; Grace, Nov. 17, 1874; Fenton, Dec. 7, 1877. In the fall of 1866 Mr. Chamberlain bought a farm in the township of South Grove, De Kalb County, consisting of 80 acres situated on section 16, where the family resided six years, the proprietor being occupied in the improvement and cultivation of his property. In 1872 he rented the farm and removed to Sycamore. In 1875 he sold the place and entered the hardware store of Warren & Ellwood as a salesman. A year later the proprietors sold their interests to Harkness & Whittemore, who conducted the establishment until 1878, when Mr. Chamberlain became a partner by the purchase of an interest, and the firm style became Whittemore, Chamberlain & Co. Their establishment is one of the largest in the line of hardware, and all branches commonly connected therewith, in the county, and they also have a jobbing department. Their business requires one general assistant and two tinners. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
FREDERICK S. CRANE
Frederick S. Crane, farmer and stock-raiser, sections 15, 14, 22 and 23, Cortland Township, was born in the town of Marvin, Wayne Co., N.Y., June 6, 1833, and was only two years old when the family moved to Du Page Co., Ill., in 1835, coming in a two-horse wagon, and settling on a tract of land before it was surveyed. When it came into market his father purchased it, and it is now owned by his brother.
He was brought up on the farm. When 16 years old his father died, and when of age he commenced to establish himself near his fathers homestead, where he lived until the spring of 1869, when he purchased 225 acres of land where he has since resided. To this purchase he has since added, until he now has a total of 400 acres. He received a common-school education at Naperville; has been School Trustee and Director; and in politics he is a Republican. Both himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
He was married Dec. 20, 1855, at Naperville, Ill., to Miss Mary A. Bristol, who was born Feb. 18,1834, in Wethersfield, N. Y., and was brought by emigration of her parents to Naperville in 1843, where they have ever since lived, excepting the last few years. Mr. and Mrs. Crane have five children, as follows: Hiram D., born Nov. 3, 1856; Frank H., May 13, 1858; Myron F., March 7, 1860; S. Jennette, April 5, 1865; and Carrie M., Feb. 5, 1869, — all at Naperville.
Mr. Crane's father, David Crane, was a farmer, and died in Naperville in 1849, at the age of 42 years. His mother, Catherine W., nee Stolp, was born Jan. 21, 1814, in Pultneyville, Wayne Co., N. Y., and is now living in Merriam, that county. Mrs. Crane's father, Hiram Bristol, was born March 22, 1800, in Fairhaven, Vt, and is now living in Aurora, Ill. Her mother, Sarah, nee Spink, was born June 17, 1804, in Whitehall, Washington Co., N. Y., and died May 9, 1869, at Aurora, Ill. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Bernard M. CULVER
CULVER, Bernard M, St Paul. Res 33 S Avon, office 445 Endicott bldg. Insurance. Born in 1873 in Sandwich Ill, son of James H and Elizabeth (Stewart) Culver. Educated in Sioux City High School; Iowa College Grinnell Ia, graduating Ph B 1895. Engaged in fire ins business in Superior Wis 1895-1901; in St Paul 1901 to date. Member Minn club; Masonic fraternity and B P O E. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Thomas Dodge, farmer, section 27, De Kalb Township, was born Feb. 2, 1809, in Durham, Lower Canada. His father, Abraham Dodge, and his mother, Elcy (Cook) Dodge, were born respectively in New York and Vermont. After their marriage they resided a few years in Canada, going thence to Vermont, where they passed the remaining years of their lives. Mr. Dodge was about the age of two years, when his parents transferred their family and interests to Vermont, and he was occupied in farming there until the spring of 1863, the date of his removal to De Kalb Co., 111. Previous to that event, he had invested to a considerable extent in land, and on removal hither he added to bis proprietorship, and has continued in that Hue of operation until he is now the owner of 1,400 acres of improved land in the county, chiefly under the management of renters. His herds include 100 cattle, 84 swine and 15 horses. Mr. Dodge was married Feb. 6, 1836, in Mt. Holly, Rutland Co, Vt. to Eliza Conant. She was born Sept. 12, 1807, in Townsend, Mass., also the birthplace of her parents, Levi and Eunice Conant. Three children were born of this union, Thomas W., Rollin and Lucien. The mother died March 23, 1875, in De Kalb Township. In political views and connections Mr. Dodge is a Republican. He has officiated four years as Justice of the Peace. He was a member of the Vermont Legislature in 1860-1; and is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Dodge is a true son of New England in character and achievements, bringing hither the thrift, economy and industry which typify the best elements of the eastern section of the United States. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
ALEXANDER H. DURHAM
Alexander H. Durham, farmer, section 10, Genoa Township, has been a resident of that municipality most of the time since his birth within its borders, which event occurred Aug. 26, 1841. Henry and Jane (Wager) Durham, his parents, were natives of the State of New York. They were pioneers in Genoa Township and residents of the village of that name, where they died. Their deaths occurred respectively in 1854 and in 1855. They were the parents of 10 children, five of whom are still living: Sarah, Sabrina, Ursula, Ethan A. and Alexander H.
Mr. Durham received a common-school education, and when he was 14 years of age his mother died. Being then wholly orphaned, he became an inmate of the family of his brother-in-law, Julius Chipman, of Kingston Township. Eighteen months later he returned to the place of his nativity and lived about a year and a half with one of his brothers. On the death of the latter he engaged as a farm assistant with his brother-in-law, James Merriman, for whom he worked two years. During that time he married and located on a farm nearly half a mile east of the village of Genoa, to whose ownership he succeeded by the provisions of his father's will. He occupied the place seven successive years, when he sold it and bought 80 acres, where he established his permanent homestead. He already having 160 acres on section 15, adjoining that which was left him by the death of his father, he now owns 260 acres in all, 170 acres under tillage, and 20 acres of timber on section 31. Mr. Durham is in sympathy with the Democrat element in political sentiment.
His marriage to Jennie Farr took place in Spring Township, Boone Co., Ill., Jan. 1, 1862, and they are now the parents of four children,—Elmer E., born Oct. 2, 1863; Leonard P., born May 18, 1868; Amber S., born March 2, 1870; and Roy H., born Dec. 30, 1883. Mrs. Durham is the fourth daughter and child of Oliver and Roxana Farr, and was born Jan. 27, 1843, m Pennsylvania. Her brothers and sisters were named Nancy, Mary, Armina, William, Millard, Martha and Maynard. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
JAMES M. ELLIOTT
James M. Elliott, farmer, having 132 acres on sections 1 and 2, Cortland Township, was born in Springfield, Clark Co., Ohio, March 27, 1820. His father moved to Union Co., that State, when he, when 16 years of age, in company with a half brother, John, came with a four-horse team to this county, arriving Oct. 8, 1835. John entered a claim east of Mr. E.'s present place, but the climate aggravating his rheumatism, he returned to Union Co., Ohio, where he now lives. The subject of this sketch made his home with his half brother and worked around by the month until his marriage, Jan. 4, 1839, to Miss Dilla Perry, who was born Sept. 21, 1822, in Yates Co., N. Y., in Potter Township, and was 13 years old when her parents emigrated to Illinois, coming all the way by team and being six weeks on the road. Her father, Matthew H. Perry, was born in Berkshire Co., Mass., in August, 1796, of American ancestry, and is now residing temporarily in Iowa, while his home is in Burlington Township, Kane Co., Ill. Her mother, Pamelia, nee Briggs, was born in Providence, R. I., in April, 1801, of American parentage. Her grandfather on her mother's side, Caleb Briggs, was a Revolutionary soldier. Mr. and Mrs. Perry moved to Ottawa, III., in the fall of 1835, and the next spring to Big Rock Township, whence, in the fall of 1837, they removed to Burlington Township, Kane County, where they have since lived, although Mr. P. resided a short time in this (Cortland) township, while he was building a house on his farm. Mr. Elliott's father, Alexander Elliott, was born in Chenango Co., Pa., and died in 1829, in Union Co., Ohio, of milk-sickness, while he was building a house upon a tract of land he had purchased there, and while his residence was in Clark Co., that State. He had been married three times. He first married Jane Chatfield, and she died, leaving four children. His second wife was the mother of the subject of this sketch, who left three children, all sons, James being the youngest. His third wife was Sarah Moore, nee Custer. Two years after his father's death the remainder of the family moved to their new home in Union County. The mother of the subject of this sketch, Polly, nee Sweet, was a native of Tennessee and died in Clark Co., Ohio, in 1821, when he was but a year old. Mr. and Mrs. Elliott have three children, viz.: Henry M., born Sept. 18, 1840; Morris M., Aug. 12, 1842; and Clarence, Jan. 4, 1850,—the first two in Kane County and the last in this township. Mr. Elliott is a Republican in his political views, and has held the office of School Director. Mr. E. had five brothers in the army during the last war. Two, Hale and Samuel, died of disease in the hospital, and one—Oliver H. Perry—lost an arm at Savannah, Ga., when Sherman captured the city. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
HON. REUBEN ELLWOOD
Hon. Reuben Ellwood, Member of Congress from the Fifth District of Illinois, resident at Sycamore, was born Feb. 17, 1821, in Minden, Montgomery Co., N.Y., and is the son of Abraham and Sarah (Delong) Ellwood. He was a boy of robust physique, active, vigorous and energetic, and possessing ambitions and aspirations which were the direct outgrowth of his temperament and were fostered by the circumstances which surrounded him and the period in which his consciousness awoke to the possibilities before him. His primary education was obtained in a desultory manner,—the result, partly of a boy s restlessness and impatience with deterring conditions, and partly arising from uncontrollable causes. At 16 years of age he was fully imbued with a determination to get on in the world, and in the summer of 1837 he came to De Kalb County, in the belief that he should find the requisite opportunity, and willing to confront any necessity and make any effort to secure the desired end. He entered a claim of 160 acres of land in the vicinity of Sycamore and continued to find employment among the farmers of that township about four years, when he was compelled to return to his father's home in the State of New York, his health having become materially impaired. His experience had impressed him with the necessity of a broader mental culture, and after a rest of six months he became a student of Cherry Valley Academy, an institution which was even then famous and exerting a sensible influence throughout adjoining districts. Mr. Ellwood studied under its excellent regulations with resolution and purpose. He was a youth with convictions. Public affairs in his native State and national conditions shaped his sentiments and guided his ideas of business and politics into channels in which he has moved unswervingly. In those good old days, which trained and developed the element upon which the peerless West planted her feet with audacious courage and rose to her matchless supremacy, the necessity of achievement incumbent on every human soul was instilled into every youth who was moving away from boyish things and toward the good of manhood. Mr. Ellwood early resolved on a career of business activity, and accordingly embraced the first opportunity which offered, to set himself about doing something. He went to Glenville, Schenectady County, which adjoined that of his nativity, and engaged in raising broom-corn and in the manufacture of brooms, operating in that line of business about eight years. In 1857 he came to Illinois, again tempted by the example of others who had come hither earlier and made satisfactory tests of the promise of the State so rich and full that they bore with them the impress of fable, and also impelled by the craving for broader and less crowded fields for action and advancement. He became associated in the hardware business with his brother, Alonzo Ellwood, at Sycamore, and at the same time operated in real estate. A fundamental principle upon which Mr. Ellwood has always based any scheme of business is, that general progress affords substantial foundation for the upbuilding of individual interests, and, in view of this opinion, about the year 1870 he embarked in the manufacture of agricultural implements at Sycamore. In 1875 he entered upon the construction of the buildings now constituting the factory of the R. Ellwood Manufacturing Company, in which he invested $50,000, and which were completed in October of the same year. The result has demonstrated the wisdom of the project, as the enterprise has proved most valuable for the growth and prosperity of Sycamore. The excellent quality of the products and the judicious administration of the business relations of the incorporated company, have established its repute in point of importance and value to De Kalb County, and as second to none of similar scope in Northern Illinois. The machinery produced acquired speedy popularity from its adaptability to the needs of the farmers and the period in which it was introduced, agricultural industries being at the acme of their success. The substantial condition of the business and its importance to the section in which it is located is primarily due to its inceptor, founder and promoter. The mental organism peculiar to Mr. Ellwood gave him an early impetus toward politics. He became "eager for the fray," into which the nation was hurried by the rapid march of events, precipitated by the agitations which took on alarming proportions during the administration of Van Buren and expanded the innate principles of the Whig party to a completeness of development in which they have since stood forth with statuesque perspicuity. The manifest candor of Mr. Ellwood's attitude in political affairs gave him prominence from the outset, and his activity in local matters while a resident of Glenville, where he was a member of the Board of Supervisors, brought him before the people of his district as a candidate for the State Assembly, whither he was sent as a Legislator in 1851. He identified himself with the issues of the Republican party in the same energetic spirit which had hitherto characterized his actions, and he was made a Delegate to the Convention at Philadelphia which nominated Fremont in 1856. Coming to Illinois, he developed the same acumen in political as in business possibilities, and the Republican element of De Kalb County speedily recognized his fitness for official advancement. In 1868 he was the unanimous choice of the Republicans of De Kalb County for Representative to the 42d Congress of the United States from the Fourth District of Illinois. He was elected to that position in 1872, scoring a success over the candidate of the opposition by 7,800 majority. His renomination in 1884 was a signal triumph, not a dissentient vote in either town caucus, County or Congressional Conventions being cast against him, and he was elected by 11,076 majority. The facts pertaining to his second election to Congress are sufficient evidence of the quality of the services he rendered his constituency in the Legislative halls of the nation. Mr. Ellwood has been active and efficient in local politics and was the first Mayor of Sycamore after the incorporative act was passed which made that municipality a city. In 1866 he was appointed United States Assessor of Internal Revenue, and occupied the position until it was abolished. In the various public projects for the advancement of the city, Mr. Ellwood has been among the foremost, and in all his movements is controlled by consideration for the permanent progress and prosperity of his town, county and State. He is the heaviest stock-holder in the manufacturing company which is designated by his name, and is also its presiding official. He was one of the organization which built and established the Sycamore Preserving Works, and is still one of the stock-holders. He also holds the same relations in the Marsh Binder Company of Sycamore. On the occasion of the building of the Sycamore & Cortland Railroad, he was a prime actor in securing its construction, was one of its chief stock-holders and expended a vast deal of time in the accomplishment of the project. Mr. Ellwood is the proprietor of the business building at Sycamore known as the Georges Block one of the most valuable of the edifices of that city, three stories high and built of brick. His residence, located on State Street opposite Ward's Hotel, and the grounds attached, cost §28,000. The structure is tasteful and elegant, and is fitted with steam heating apparatus and with gas for lighting purposes. Mrs. Ellwood, formerly Miss Eleanor Vedder, was born in Schenectady Co., N. Y., and became the wife of Reuben Ellwood Aug. 8, 1849. Six children constitute the issue of their union, and were born in the following order: Abram, Albert, Frank, Katie, Jennie and Alida. The second and third sons are deceased. The oldest is interested in the R. Ellwood Manufacturing Company and is the sole proprietor of the department for the manufacture of Barbed Wire Stretchers. Katie married Frank Allport, M. D., of Minneapolis. Biography, pure and simple, is an exact portrayal of the relations a man bears to his generation. The definitive traits which characterize Mr. Ellwood, the spirit of enterprise by which he is actuated, his probity and rectitude, his tolerant estimate of his fellow men and his capacity to recognize, seize and mold opportunity to the accomplishment of a purpose, distinguish him in all his associations, public and private. His thorough identification with the people of whom he is one, and his devotion to their paramount interests is the animating cause of his popularity as a man and citizen of Sycamore, in which he is second to none.
The Portrait and Biographical Album of DeKalb County presents the unique feature of portraying the lineaments of the six members of the Ellwood brothers who are among its citizens. That of the Hon. Reuben Ellwood, M. C, appears on a preceding page, and will be warmly received, for obvious reasons. Like the others of the Ellwood fraternity, he is a fine sample of physical development, and the value of his portrait as an addition to the collection in this volume is commensurate with his public and private character. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Adolph Elten, of the firm of Deily & Elten, builders and dealers in coal at Sycamore, was born Dec. 15, 1841, in Germany. His parents, August and Bertha Elten, were born in Germany and died there. They had three children, -- Adolph, August and Gustave. The latter is a builder in Chicago. The second son is deceased. Mr. Elten was instructed in his business by his father, who pursued the trade of builder through his life. He came to the United States in March, 1865, and embarked in his business in Chicago. He was occupied three years in that city as foreman in the sash and door factory of Frederick Schroeder, who transferred his business from the Garden City to Sycamore, whither Mr. Elten accompanied and officiated three years in the same capacity. In the spring of 1878 the latter formed an association with Jacob Deily for the prosecution of a joint relation as builders, and a year later began to deal in coal. They employ about half a dozen men commonly and have erected a number of prominent buildings at Sycamore and vicinity. Mr. Elten was married June 27, 1869, in Chicago, to Caroline Evers, and they have had four children: Hermann was born May 2, 1870, and died Sept. 19, 1871; Julia was born Feb. 9,1872; Charles, April 19, 1875; George, Aug. 31, 1877. The latter was born in Sycamore and died Nov. 14, 1880. The others were born in Chicago. Mrs. Elten was born in Baltimore, Md., and is the daughter of John and Hermine (Buttner) Evers. The family attend the Congregational Church. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Harry Ewing, photographer at Sycamore, was born Jan. 31, 1858, in New Brighton, Beaver Co., Pa., and is the son of Ebenezer and Sarah C. (Bechtel) Ewing. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania, and later in life removed to Galesburg, Ill., where his father died, in 1880. His (Harry’s) mother is still living there. Their four children are living: Ella married Leon Simon, a druggist of Chicago; Frances and Mattie are the two youngest. Mr. Ewing is the eldest. He passed his youth in the common schools, and in 1876 began to fit himself for his business at Galesburg, with Z. P. McMillen, under whose instructions he operated two years, and afterward was connected two years with C. A. Winsor of the same place. Going thence to Marshalltown, he operated two years and came thence to Sycamore in May, 1881. He became an employee of G. W. Taylor, photographer, and after six months purchased the establishment where he had been employed and is still engaged in its management. Many of the portraits in this Album are reproduced from photographs taken by him. He was married at Sycamore, March 15, 1883, to Nellie, daughter of Azel and Mary (Shurtleff) Stone. She was born June 22, 1859, at Kenosha, Wis. They have one child, Arthur Stone, born Dec. 18, 1884, at Sycamore. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
JOHN FISH was born in DeKalb County Illinois May 10, 1840, being a son of John and Eleanor Fish. He was married January 01, 1879 to Eliza J Bushey of Greentop, Missouri, born January 31, 1866. She is a daughter of Joseph and Agnes Bushey. They have five children: Walter E, born September 16, 1880; Albert V, April 11, 1883; Clarence M, March 08, 1885; Melvin E, October 12, 1886; Elsie May, January 28, 1888. Mr. Fish began railroading in 1866, continuing until 1889 when he moved to the farm and remained there in 1906. He then entered the real estate business in Kirksville, in which enterprise he is still engaged. He came to Adair County Missouri in 1894. Mr. Fish is Republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and belongs to the I.O.O.F. Lodge. [Source: The History of Adair County Missouri by E.M. Violette, 1911 - DR -Sub by FoFG]
HENRY H. GANDY
Henry H. Gandy, farmer, section 10, Cortland Township, occupying 115 acres on the southwest quarter, was born in Trumbull Co., Ohio, April 16, 1810. Both his parents were natives of New Jersey. His father, H. H., was born Feb. 24, 1768, and died March 27, 1849, in Union Co., Ohio; and his mother, Sally, nee Harris, was born Feb. 7, 1785, and died Sept. 1, 1846, in Union Co., Ohio. Mr. G.'s paternal grandfather died in the service of his country during the Revolutionary War, in a hospital at Valley Forge, and his maternal grandfather was also in the Revolutionary Army. When the subject of this sketch was only two years of age his parents removed with him to Madison Co., Ohio, where they lived 18 or 19 years, when his father bought land in Union County, same State, moved his family there and lived five or six years. Mr. Gandy, of this sketch, moved to this township when he was 27 years of age, arriving on the very anniversary of his birthday, in the spring of 1837, and has lived here ever since. To this place his brother George W. had preceded him in the fall of 1835, and also his brother-in-law, Henry Smith. Isaac Gandy, a nephew, was also here: he has since died. Only one man is now living who was a member of this first settlement on this side of the Grove. All the other settlements at that time were in the timber. Mr. Gandy was married Sept. 12, 1833, to Lucinda Meacham, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Snow) Meacham. Her mother was born in 1808, and died in Windham Co., Conn. Mrs. G.'s father was born about 1772,and died in April, 1857, also in Windham County. Mrs. G. was born Sept. 5, 1806, in the above county, probably of Puritan English descent. Of the seven children of Mr. and Mrs. Gandy, all are living, namely: Joseph, born Nov. 1, 1834, in Union Co., Ohio; Julia A., Oct. 7, 1836, same county; Marcus, March 8, 1839; Jerusha, Feb. 15, 1841; Matilda, June 4, 1S43; Francis M., June 27, 1845; and Andrew J., March 15, 1848. The last five were born in this county. Mr. G. has been Assessor for many years, and has been School Director. In politics he is a Democrat. The portrait of Mr. Gandy, accompanying this sketch, will doubtless be welcomed in this Album by the people of De Kalb County, and accordingly it is with great pleasure that the publishers insert it in this connection. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
JOSEPH F. GLIDDEN
Joseph F. Glidden, patentee of the Glidden barb-wire fence, residing at De Kalb, was born Jan. 18, 1813, in Charleston, Sullivan Co., N. H. He is the son of David and Polly (Hurd) Glidden, both of whom were natives of the Granite State and were there married. About the year 1814 they removed their family and interests to Orleans Co., N. Y., and were there resident until 1844, when they came to Illinois. They made a brief stay in Ogle County, removing thence to the home of their eldest son, then a farmer in De Kalb Township, and were inmates of his household through the closing years of their lives. They had six children,—Joseph F., Betsey, Eunice, Willard J., Abigail and Stephen H. Mr. Glidden was in the second year of his life when his parents settled in Clarendon, Orleans Co., N. Y., and entered upon agricultural pursuits. He was brought up on the farm, acquired a thorough and practical knowledge of its details, and interspersed the seasons of labor by attendance at school. Primarily, he was a pupil in the ordinary educational institutions of the township, and later became a student at the Middlebury Academy in Genesee County - he afterwards attended a seminary at Lima, Livingston County, in the same State. He formed educational plans with reference to a collegiate course, and taught some months; but, being of a practical turn of mind, the field for immediate action, to which he was accustomed by training, possessed an almost irresistible attraction, and he engaged as a renter of farms for some years, that being the common mode of operation adopted by those who had their way to make from the beginning. The figure at which the acres of the Empire State were held precluded almost the slightest promise of the advancement of a laborer to a proprietorship, and Mr. Glidden began to consider the feasibility of making his way westward. In the fall of 1842 he proceeded to Detroit, with two threshing-machines, of the primitive construction, then in use, and spent 30 days in Michigan on the wheat farms of that State, operating his threshers, assisted by his brother Willard and two other men. Finally reaching St. Joseph, on the east side of Lake Michigan, he shipped the machines to Chicago and proceeded to De Kalb County, where he passed two years in the same avenue of business. During the winter of 1842-3 he bought 600 acres of land located on section 22, De Kalb Township, of his cousin, Russell Huntley, and which he still owns. He resided two years in Ogle County, not taking possession of his property until 1845. Mr. Glidden’s first marriage took place in Clarendon, Orleans Co., N. Y., in 1837, when he formed a matrimonial union with Clarissa Foster. He left his wife and two children behind him when he started for the West with his machines, and before his wife joined him in Illinois the children had passed to the spirit world. She came to Ogle County in June, 1843, and died the next year in childbirth. The little daughter, for whom her own life was given, died in early infancy. The children of this marriage were named Virgil, Homer and Clarissa. The second marriage of Mr. Glidden, to Lucinda Wame, took place in Kane County, in October, 1851, and they have one child—Elva F.—now the wife of W. H. Bush, a merchant of Chicago. In 1845 Mr. Glidden took possession of his farm, remaining its resident proprietor until 1877, adding to its extent and increasing it to more than 8oo acres. It is a fine sample of the perfection of attractions and value to which a prairie farm may be brought. In the year named Mr. Glidden relinquished the personal management of his farm and removed to the city of De Kalb, where he became an inmate of the Glidden House, which he had built a few years before. The summary of the triumphs of American inventive genius present a splendid array. Their relative importance has developed a saying, which, perhaps, in general significance, cannot be gainsaid, - that "those who add to the material wealth of nations are greater than those that contribute to the comfort or convenience of mankind." But analysis and time must weaken the force of the statement. The man who "made two blades of grass grow where one grew before" may be a benefactor, but the beneficence of his achievement becomes a question if the extra blade is superfluous. It has become trite that the "invention of the cotton-gin advanced the South 50 years," and the progress of the North consequent upon the invention of the reaping-machine is similarly estimated. But for 40 years the question of fencing the broad, beautiful acres of the prairie section of the United States remained unanswered, and hampered the farmers in all their projects; and there seemed for years no remedy for the existent condition but in legislation,—a forlorn hope in view of the fate common to legal provisions in the hands of sagacious and interested interpreters of the statutes. Stone walls were utterly impracticable; the raids of the agents selling Osage orange and willow cuttings, which should produce self-perpetuating fences with the celerity of Aladdin's lamp, were profitable to none but their companies. With every tree that fell beneath the woodman's devastating ax, receded farther and farther the hopes for fencing material. Mr. Glidden solved the problem which had been a standing perplexity of increasing proportions for almost half a century, and by his invention of the barb-wire fence placed his name on the list of enduring fame with those of Whitney, Arkwright, Howe and McCormick and a long catalogue of others, who will move through the records and traditions of the future as the benefactors of the world. The history of the invention is interesting and belongs to the personal biography of Mr. Glidden and to the lasting records of De Kalb County. The earliest patents for barb-wire fencing were issued in 1867, but the material lacked practical merit and attracted comparatively little notice. Mr. Glidden interested himself in it, and, recognizing the utility and profit of a successful method of constructing wire fence, pushed a course of experiments as he found opportunity. He cut barbs by hand and extemporized a process by which they could be twisted about the wire. A piece 30 feet long I was armed with the spiteful appearing prongs and twisted with a piece of smooth wire by attaching the two to the axle of a grindstone, the twist being obtained by turning the crank. The fence was stretched in the barn-yard of Mr. Glidden and proved a success. The result of the experiment is still a fixture and feature of the barn-yard where it was originally placed, and is demonstrating the practical utility of the device as thoroughly as at first. The gratified inventor applied in October, 1873, for letters patent, which he received in the spring of 1874. Meanwhile, Isaac L. Ellwood, a hardware merchant of De Kalb, had expended considerable time and money in experimenting with various kinds of fencing, and Mr. Glidden laid before him the results of his experiments, and they formed an association for the purposes of manufacture. They rented a small building and employed a corps of laborers, consisting chiefly of boys; but the speedy increase of their business necessitated their removal to more extensive and centrally located quarters, and in the winter of 1874-5 they took possession of their factory at De Kalb. In the spring they opened business with a working force of 30 men. Changes were made from time to time, which were protected by additional patents, and the manufacture of barb-wire fence was continued by Messrs. Glidden & Ellwood until March, 1876. At that date, the Washburn & Moen Manufacturing Company, of Worcester, Mass., purchased the half interest of Mr. Glidden and the present firm of I. L. Ellwood & Co. was established. Mr. Glidden received $60,000 and a guarantee of 25 cents on every 100 pounds of fencing material constructed. The latter rate has been reduced to five cents per hundred weight, the enormous production of the barb-wire fence yielding even at the royalty of one-fifth the original stipulation a generous income to the inventor. Since 1876 Mr. Glidden has devoted his attention to his first love—farming—and superintends the management of his extensive tracts of farming land in De Kalb County, comprising an extent of 1,500 acres. He is also engaged to a considerable extent in stock-raising, and, associated with H. B. Sanborn, is the owner of a cattle ranch in the portion of country known as the Panhandle of Texas, where they are herding about 16,000 head of cattle. They own 280 sections of land, constituting 280 square miles of territory, and requiring 150 miles of fencing, which was erected at a cost of $40,000. Mr. Glidden owns also a half-interest in a flour-mill at De Kalb. He has also been active in the duties of his citizenship in De Kalb County and Township, and in 1852 was elected Sheriff. He possesses the distinction of being the last Democratic official of the county. He has served his townsmen as Supervisor several terms, and performed the duties of other local offices of minor importance. Mr. Glidden is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Of his character and prominence a reliable estimate may be formed by the sketch given. He is essentially a member of the class descended from the "grand old gardener," and he has remained true to his lineage, which may be regarded as closely akin to dignity itself. The fanner comes of a descent whose antitype was molded in the freshness of God's plan of man, and found fitting to inhabit Paradise. The man who spends his life in tilling the ground proves his birthright in the inheritance of a redeemed world. Mr. Glidden has found no allurement in the career of a capitalist, nor availed himself of the opportunity afforded by his sudden accession to wealth, which has since flowed with a lavish tide into his coffers, to grasp by the throat men of less fortunate hap and turn their disasters to his own profit. He remembers his days of toil and struggle, and takes justifiable pride in the spreading beneficence of his invention and in the well earned title of a farmer of De Kalb County, pure and simple. The portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Glidden are presented on other pages. Their value to the biographical records of De Kalb County is manifest without elaboration of statement. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
John Gould, farmer, section 22, Cortland Township, having 34 acres in the southern part of the section and 120 acres in all, was born in town of Harmon, Kennebec Co., Maine, Oct. 8, 1814. His parents, Abel and Mary (Kelly) Gould, are deceased and buried at Ohio Grove Church. They were probably natives of Maine, and moved to the State of New York when John was a babe, and soon to Meigs Co., Ohio, where a farm had been purchased and where they lived seven years or more; they then sold out and removed to Jefferson Co., Ind., rented a farm for a number of years, then lived in Dearborn County, in the southeastern corner of that State, until 1840, when they came to this county, with horse teams, arriving Nov. 15, not more than three miles from Mr. G.'s present residence. He died Dec. 7, 1858, aged about 77 years. John's mother was an orphan, brought up by Judge North in her native State (Maine), and died in September, 1865, at the age of 83 years. Mr. John Gould, whose name heads this sketch,was first married Feb. 4, 1838, in Dearborn Co., Ind., to Mary Ann Johnson, who was born in that State in 1818, the daughter of-and Elizabeth (Hinds) Johnson. She died in this (Cortland) township, in the spring of 1845, and is buried in the Ohio Grove (or Baptist Church) Cemetery. Her three children are: George H., born April 25, 1839, and died Nov. 4,1863, at Nashville, Tenn., and was a member of Co. C, 105th Ill., Vol. Inf., and died in the service; Mary E., born May 15, 1841, married Wm. Blackman, Dec. 23, 1866, and lives in Dakota; and Sabrina A., born July 5, 1843, married Luther Wheeler, March 5, 1860, and is residing in this township. Oct. 1, 1848, Mr. Gould married Miss Caroline, daughter of James and Hannah (Merrow) Wheeler. Her father was a native of Massachusetts and died in February, 1861 (or thereabout), in Maine; and her mother, born in Winthrop, Me., died in the same State, in 1867, at the age of about 78 years. Mrs. G. was also born in Winthrop, Jan. 29, 1811, and she has two daughters, namely: Elvira R., born April 18,1850, and married Joseph Snyder, Dec. 24, 1868; and Clotilda Jane, born Aug. 5, 1852, married John I. Simons, Nov. 20, 1873, and lives in Dakota. Mr. Gould had a very limited school education in his youth, especially in mathematics, as that seemed peculiarly difficult to him; but he has nevertheless battled successfully with the world. He is a venerble [sic] old settler here, having occupied his present farm ever since the year 1847. In his political principles he votes with the Republican party, and he, as well as Mrs. G., is a member of the Free-will Baptist Church at Ohio Grove, having been one of the first members of that congregation and has been an officer in the Church. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Jesse E. GREENMAN
Greenman, Jesse E, St Paul (MN). Res 565 Portland av, office 507-508 Nat German American Bank bldg.. Lawyer. Born July 3, 1861 at Somonauk Ill, son of Curtis S Greenman. Married April 13, 1892 to Estella Thompson. Educated in the public schools of Illinois and Nebraska; Archibald's Business College Minneapolis; private tutors same city. Studied law in office of Jackson & Pond Minneapolis 1882; with Wyman, Mullin & Co whol dry goods Minneapolis 1885-89; with Powers Dry Goods Co St Paul asst creditman 1889; R G Dunn & Co law dept 1890-96; Guiterman Bros creditman 1896; R G Dun & Co 1896-1902; member Gilbert & Greenman lawyers 1902 to date. Member Commercial Club St Paul, Masonic fraternity and B P O E. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
SHERMAN A. HALL
Sherman A. Hall, farmer, on section 13, De Kalb Township, was born Oct. 17, 1829, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., N.Y. He was reared to the age of 16 in the county where he was born, and in 1845 he came to Kane County, where he was a resident two years previous to his removal to De Kalb County. He bought 160 acres in the township of Clinton, De Kalb Co., wherein he was engaged in farming until 1880, and in that year sold out and removed to De Kalb Township, where he is now the owner of 160 acres of finely cultivated land, situated as above stated. Mr. Hall is a Democrat. His father, Sherman Hall, was born in Connecticut, and married Betsey (Hutchins) Hall, who was born in New York. They came in 1845 to Illinois and lived two years in Kane County, removing thence to De Kalb County, where they resided during the remainder of their lives. The mother died Nov. 19, 1856, and the death of the father transpired Oct. 3, 1863. The marriage of Mr. Hall to Percis Lyon took place May 25, 1859, and they have had three children,—Harold E., Asahel S. and another child who died in infancy. The second son died when nearly five years of age. Mrs. Hall was born May 5, 1839, in Essex Co., N. Y., and is the daughter of Asahel and Adaline D. (Woodruff) Lyon. The latter was a native of Essex Co., N. Y.; the former of the State of Connecticut. In the fall of 1854 they settled in De Kalb, where Mr. Lyon died, March 9, 1874; the mother is still living. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
LEMUEL C. HARRIS
Lemuel C. Harris, farmer, section 27, Genoa Township, was born May 26, 1832, in Genesee Co., N.Y. His father, John Harris, was also born in the same State, Jan. 13, 1784, and married Irena Curtis, a native of Vermont. After their marriage they settled in the Empire State, coming West later in life and settling in Oakland Co., Mich. The father died there Dec. 29, 1839. The mother died in Genoa Township in the fall of 1865. They had four children,—Paulina, Philo, Sina and Lemuel C. Mr. Harris came to Michigan with his parents when he was but two years of age. In 1844 he came to Boone Co., Ill., and lived with his uncle, Philo Curtis, under whose charge he remained four years. He then opened an independent career for himself, engaging as a farm assistant and working by the month seven years. He came to De Kalb County in 1851 and bought a farm in Genoa Township, where he settled and resided two years. He then exchanged his estate for a farm of 120 acres in the same Township, where he established his homestead. The place is wholly under improvements. Mr. Harris is a Republican in political bias and supports the issues of the party. He is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. The first marriage of Mr. Harris occurred at Sycamore, Jan. 1, 1855, when Caroline C. Durham became his wife, and of their union three children were born: Edgar D., May 14, 1857; Edna C, Dec. 31, 1860; and Caroline, Oct. 28, 1864. The latter died when six weeks old. The decease of the mother occurred Nov. 21, 1864. Nov. 24, 1868, Mr. Harris was a second time married, to Mary E. Stark, at Belvidere. She was born in the township of Sycamore, Jan. 1, 1845. Her parents, Marshall and Louisa (Tyler) Stark, were natives of Pennsylvania and in 1835 settled in the township of Sycamore, where her father died Dec. 26,1882. Their ten children were named Herman, Martha, Mary, Jefferson, Henry, Theron, Ada, Ella, Emma and Hattie. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have one child, Jefferson S., born March 3, 1870. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Horace Haskins, farmer, section 34, Genoa Township, is the son of John and Mary (Talman) Haskins, both of whom were natives of the State of New York, where the father was born Feb. 13, 1781, and died March 17, 1856. The mother of Horace was born Aug. 28, 1783, and died March 22, 1825. Her ancestors came over in the Mayflower. Mr. Haskins was again married Nov. 3, 1825, to Mrs. Mary Winters. She had five children by her first husband. The subject of this sketch is the tenth in order of birth of a family of 13 children, and was born Nov. 17, 1820, in Jefferson Co., N.Y. When he was 23 years of age, he came to Illinois by the lake route, making his way to Chicago on board a sail-boat, which he assisted in building. He came from the Garden City directly to St. Charles, in Kane County, where he made a brief stay, and later proceeded to Genoa Township and engaged in the cultivation and improvement of 80 acres of land, of which he became the proprietor by purchase. To this he has added until he now owns 262 acres in De Kalb County, besides valuable farming tracts in the States of Nebraska, Michigan and Iowa. His stock on his home farm comprises about 50 head of cattle, seven horses and a quantity of stock of other varieties. Mr. Haskins is one of the solid and influential citizens of De Kalb County. He was the possessor of $5.37 1/2 when he arrived in Chicago, and is now the proprietor of an estate worth $50,000. He brought the first scouring plow into De Kalb County. In character he is justly rated as a generous, liberal and public-spirited man, enlisting warmly in all enterprises which promise general benefit to the community. The marriage of Mr. Haskins to Mariah Bebee occurred March 11, 1841, in Lorraine, Jefferson Co., N. Y. She was born in that place June 19, 1820, and is the daughter of John and Sarah (Clark) Bebee, who had a family of 10 children. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Haskins has included seven children, two of whom are living: Mary E., born May 19, 1846, is the wife of John Haines and resides in Sycamore Township; Martha M., born Nov. 22, 1852, and married to a farmer of Cortland Township, of the name of Daniel Beebe (not Bebee). Four children died in infancy, and one, the oldest, died on the lakes while the family were en route for Illinois, and was buried at Milwaukee. The adopted son of Mr. and Mrs. Haskins was received into the family July 27, 1870, and named Horace Clarence Haskins. The portrait of Mr. Haskins, accompanying this sketch, presents the features of a physiognomy indicating a solid man, a substantial citizen and a reliable support of all enterprises and principles that commend themselves to his intuition of right. He has ever distinguished himself for his energy in pushing forward every enterprise inaugurated for the good of his community. None are more generous in aiding every such undertaking, and none more unselfish in in their devotion to the general welfare and progress of his people than is Mr. Haskins. While he has devoted much time and money for the good of others, he has by rare good business sagacity been able to accumulate a goodly fortune since he came to this county. The portrait of Mr. Haskins is engraved from a photograph taken in 1884. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Robert Holland, farmer on the southeast quarter of section 32, and north half of the northeast quarter of section 33, Cortland Township, was born in Fermanagh, Ireland, March 26, 1815. His parents, Thomas and Ellen (Graham) Holland, passed all their life in their native land, Ireland. At the age of 23 or 24 Mr. Robert Holland left his native land, where he was brought up on a farm and obtained a limited education in a boys' school, and came to the "land of opportunity," in a sail vessel, landing at New York in May, 1839. He first labored for three months in a brick-yard at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., then a year for a hotel-keeper in the country near by (Dutchess County); next, he followed manual labor for five years, farming and gardening, in the town of Richfield, Fairfield Co., Conn.; then for nine years more he worked by the day and followed ox-teaming, in the same town; and finally, in 1854, he came to Kaneville, this State, purchased 80 acres of land, and began to make a home. Finding a few temporary improvements on the place, he extended them and rendered the place more valuable for ten years when he sold it and bought his present farm of 24 acres. It also was partly improved when he took possession of it, and he has raised its value from $30 to $65 per acre. He has enlarged the dwelling, and now has a good frame house; also a good grain and stock barn and all the necessary out-buildings. Mr. Holland was married June 28,1843, in Ridgefield, Conn., to Miss Grace, daughter of Thomas S. and Emily (Gilbert) Keeler. Mrs. H.'s parents died in Connecticut, her father a little over 40 years of age and her mother at the age of 62. One of her grandfathers was a Revolutionary soldier. Five children have been born in the family of Mr. Holland, viz.: Thomas, April 28,1846; George, May 31, 1848; Nathan G., Aug. 8, 1852; Elizabeth J., April 22, 1859; and Ellen, July 28, 1844, who died Oct. 24, 1867,on the homestead. Elizabeth was born in Kaneville, Ill., the rest in Ridgefield, Conn. Mr. H. is a Republican and has been Road Overseer, and Mrs. H. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CYRUS B. HOPKINS
Cyrus B. Hopkins, farmer, sections 34 and 27, Cortland Township, and owning in all 165 acres, was born in Erie Co., N.Y., in the town of Clarence, Aug. 7, 1812, and is the son of Cyrus and Charlotte (Bissell) Hopkins. His mother who was born Oct. 30, 1793, in Rutland, Vt., of Puritan stock, is still living, near Bcloit, Wis. His father, also of Puritan ancestry, was born in June, 1784, in Great Barrington, Berkshire Co., Mass., and died at Beloit, Wis., at the age of 82 years. The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears on the opposite page, lived in his native county until he was 26 years of age, on the farm with his father, in the meantime obtaining a common-school education. He then came to Squaw Grove Township, this county, and worked as a common laborer by the day and month the first season. The next year he took a farm, and rented farms for five years, when he went out upon the "raw" prairie, which he has improved and since made his home. He first built a log house upon the place and moved into it in 1844. Fifteen years afterward he built a frame house, east of where he is now living. Mr. H. has held the office of Constable in Squaw Grove, Road Commissioner for several terms and School Director a number of years. In politics he is a Republican, and in religious matters he was formerly a Methodist. He was married Dec. 6, 1836, to Fannie Larkin, who was born May 1, 1815, in Green Co., N. Y., and died May 7, 1873, on the old homestead in this county. She was a Baptist. The second marriage of Mr. Hopkins occurred July 3, 1877, in Blackberry, Kane Co., Ill., to Mary J. Gandy, daughter of George W. and Mary (Meacham) Gandy. Her mother was born Aug. 13, 1800, in Woodstock, Ct, and died April 4, 1876, in this township; and her father was born Feb. 3, 1804, in New Jersey, and is deceased. By his first wife Mr. Hopkins had eight children, as follows: Cyrus E., born Oct 11, 1837, and was married Feb. 22, 1863; Charles H. was born Aug. 6, 1839, and married Dec. 7, 1871; William J., born Nov. 29, 1840, died Dec. 27 following; John E., born June 11, 1842, married June 14, 1870, and died Aug. 1, 1884; Sarah J., born Aug. 6, 1844, was married July 4, 1869; Albert J., born Aug. 15, 1846, was married Sept 3, 1873; Phebe A., born Aug. 14, 1848, was married Dec. 6, 1870; Fanny A., born Dec. 27, 1850, was married Oct. 11, 1870; and Melvin M., born Oct. 3, 1853, was married Feb. 25, 1879. By his second marriage Mr. H. has had three children, as follows: Pearl, born July 20, 1880, died Aug. 14 following; Ross, born July 9, 1882, died Nov. 3 following; and Daisy I., born Jan. 3, 1884. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails