LEANDER P. KELLOGG
Leander P. Kellogg, farmer, section 3, Genoa Township, was born Aug. 4, 1826, in Essex, Vt. His parents, Orlando and Mary A. (Place) Kellogg were natives of Massachusetts and had 10 children. Mr. Kellogg is the eldest child of his father and mother, and was a resident of his native State until he was 18 years of age, when, in 1844, he removed to McHenry Co., Ill. He passed a winter there, and in the spring of the year following came to De Kalb County, locating in Genoa Township. He operated the greater portion of the time for 20 years as a teamster between Chicago and De Kalb County and other portions of the State of Illinois. In 1846 he pre-empted 80 acres of land on section 3, where he has since maintained his homestead, and has doubled his acreage. His entire landed property is under cultivation. He is a Republican in political conviction and principle. Though often urged to accept local official positions he has persistently declined. In 1852 he was appointed Postmaster of Ney, in which position he served continuously eight years. He has since officiated as Assistant Postmaster. He was married Jan. 20, 1847, in Sycamore, to Harriet M. Hutchason, and they have seven children, —Clarke O., Harriet J., Leslie W., Hutchason A., Harlow O., Edward E. and L. D. The parents of Mrs. Kellogg, Clarke and Elizabeth (Bradley) Hutchason, were natives of New York. The father died there and the mother married Ira Manning. They came to De Kalb County in 1846, and later in life settled in Michigan, where they died. Mrs. Kellogg is the third of a family of six children, and was born Sept. 21, 1827, in Niagara Co., N. Y. She is a member of the Free Methodist Church, and Mr. Kellogg is a true Christian man. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
HON. CHARLES KELLUM
Hon. Charles Kellum, Judge of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit of Illinois, resident at Sycamore, was born in the (now) township of Dimock, Susquehanna Co., Pa., March 16, 1821. Samuel Kellum, Jr., his father, was born in New London Co., Conn., which was for many years the home of his paternal grandsire, Samuel Kellum, Sr. The latter was prominent in the affairs of the Nutmeg State, and held a Captains commission in the State militia after the close of the Revolutionary War. Samuel Kellum, Jr., followed in the traces of his forefathers; he was a farmer by inheritance and adopted the principles which were promulgated in the community where he was bred to man's estate by voice and deed; he was a Whig in politics, and when the issues of that element merged into those of the Republican party he fell into line and remained the stanch adherent of the organization while he lived.
About the year 1832 he became interested in lumbering in the forests of the Keystone State, and operated vigorously in that line of business for a number of years. Later, he became a Justice of the Peace. His death occurred Jan. 2, 1869, at Sycamore, at the residence of the subject of this sketch. Lucretia (Eldridge) Kellum, his wife, mother of Judge Kellum, was a native of New London Co., Conn., and died at Prophetstown, Ill., Jan. 2, 1879, her demise occurring on the same day of the same month, ten years subsequent to that of her husband, beside whom she lies buried at Sycamore.
His ancestry, the period of his birth, and the occupations of his father, were all instrumental in forming the character and shaping the career of Judge Kellum. He early developed the positive traits of his maternal progenitors, who were of Scotch-Irish lineage. It is an established fact that many of the most prominent characters in the history of the United States, and who exercised a molding influence upon its leading institutions in law, politics and religion, had their origin in the class who inherited traits so distinctive as to virtually constitute a race. In mental organism their predominating traits partake almost invariably of the same characteristics. They are, as a rule, industrious, cautious, persistent, inflexible in morals and probity, and possess inherently the quality which leads them to great opportunities. Hardihood in effort invariably marks every step of their progress; and young Kellum exemplified this latter trait in early boyhood. Previous to his twelfth year he assisted on the farm. In his fathers venture as a lumberman he found opportunity for effort, and he began as a teamster, later becoming a saw-mill hand, going to school meanwhile and completing his educational course at the academies of Montrose and Mannington in his native county.
When he was about 18 years of age he was connected with an engineering corps, employed in the construction of the North Branch of the Pennsylvania Canal, in which he was occupied nearly two years. The year 1841 he passed as a clerk at Towanda and at Troy in his native State, and in the year following he began to read for the profession of law in the office of Lusk & Little, of Montrose, where he passed the time to good advantage, meanwhile devoting two winters to teaching. In August, 1844, he was admitted to the Bar, and obtained employment in the office where he had been a student, at $10 a month, remaining there between one and two years. His health became impaired and he passed about three years in a desultory manner, practicing law occasionally, and rafting on the Susquehanna, the latter employment affording the opportunity he needed for relaxation from office confinement and the exercise required to prevent a condition of confirmed dyspepsia, with which he was menaced. The practice of law being his natural element, he went to Towanda and formed a partnership with Hon. Henry Booth, now of Chicago, a relation which existed about18 months. In 1854 he went to La Porte, Ind., and passed nine month's as assistant cashier of the Indiana (stock) Bank, with his brother, Isaac S. Kellum.
In February, 1855, he came to Sycamore and entered into a partnership with William Fordham. Their connection remained operative about a year and was dissolved by mutual consent. Since that date Judge Kellum has been temporarily associated with others, but has operated chiefly alone, and has won a widely merited distinction as a practitioner and jurist. In the pursuit of his profession he has proceeded in the even, equable method which is one of his characteristic traits, and has earned a wider influence than any other local attorney, never failing to secure the same quality of respect from associates and opponents while practicing as an attorney. The strongest evidence of this is that during the course of his legal practice he was retained on nearly every case of importance tried in the courts of De Kalb County, and his local popularity obtained for him a large amount of business in other counties. His arguments were logical, set forth in clear-cut, incisive terms and bearing an irresistible influence, to which his prestige is largely due. But above all is the discriminating sense of honor which imbues his every word and act concerning his fellow men, and which commands the respect and esteem of his friends and also of his antagonists in business, for he has no adversaries in the exact significance of the term. The records of the Courts in which he practiced afford abundant proof of the superior forensic qualities of Judge Kellum, as he has been connected with some of the most notable cases in the Judicial history of Northern Illinois. His executive abilities have been recognized in Sycamore from the outset, and his appreciative townsmen have availed themselves of his eminent powers in local positions. He was early made President of the Board of Trustees, when that city was a village, and he afterwards became City Attorney. He also served four years as State's Attorney of his Judicial District. In June, 1879, he was elected Circuit Judge, a position he has since occupied, and whose obligations and responsibilities he has discharged in the efficient manner which has characterized his entire public and private career. The mental caliber of Judge Kellum is of the quality that constitutes leaders in the profession to which he belongs. We quote from the United States Biographical Dictionary for Illinois, 1883:
"Judge Kellum was endowed by nature with a judicial mind; he was not only made for a lawyer, but for a Judge, and his natural endowments have been enlarged by a liberal education and long practice at the Bar. His mind readily grasps the most difficult legal problems, and his decisions are not only generally correct, but are marked universally by the utmost fairness and impartiality. Seldom is it that any error creeps into the record of a cause heard before Judge Kellum, and consequently his decisions are not often reversed by the higher Courts. On the bench he is urbane and gentlemanly, and is universally esteemed by the members of the Bar who practice in his Court; he is especially the friend of the young attorney and, whenever possible, smoothes [sic] over the rough path which that class are compelled to travel before reaching eminence at the Bar. These qualities make him one of the most popular Judges in the State, and his friends confidently predict that he will yet be called to sit on the bench of the Supreme Court."
Politically, he was a Whig in the days of his early manhood. The portentous events from the date of his citizenship could have but one significance to a mentality like his, and, true to his unerring instincts, he became a Republican on the inception of the party. Previous to his accession to his position as Judge, he was a zealous worker in its ranks and served as Delegate in the District and State Conventions. Locally, he wielded a powerful influence, and for a succession of years officiated as Chairman of the Republican County Committee. In his own county he was second to none in ability, and in 1872 was its unanimous choice for Congress, but failed in the Convention. When candidate for Circuit Judge the next year, the Judicial Convention was exactly divided between him and his competitor, and the conflict between the opposing elements was maintained through one entire day, through the succeeding night and far into the day following. There being no indications of yielding from any quarter, the assembly broke up without definite action, leaving the people to settle the point. He experienced defeat by a small majority. In 1878 a nomination to Congress was tendered him, and the District urged his preferment for the position; but in view of his judicial prospects he was inflexible in his adverse decision, his wisdom and judgment in the matter being fully sustained by succeeding events. Judge Kellum has recognized and discharged his obligations as a citizen of Sycamore in the most fitting manner, and has lent his aid and influence to the furtherance of the public interests of the place and assisted personally in placing them on a substantial basis. He has been a prominent factor in the maintenance of her manufacturing enterprises, and was a stock-holder in the Sycamore & Cortland Railroad, in the Marsh Harvester Manufacturing Company and, later, in the Marsh Binder Manufacturing Company. He also aided materially in the earlier enterprises. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Order of Knights Templar. His marriage to Chloe Clement occurred March 15, 1855, at La Porte, Ind., and two children were born of their union. William C. Kellum was born at Sycamore, Dec. 14, 1855, and is an attorney in the place of his nativity, promising, by his application to business, to wear worthily the mantle of his sire. He married Laura A. McKinnon, and they have one child—Charles S. Samuel Kellum was born Dec. 22, 1857, is a salesman in the clothing house of Willoughby, Hill & Co., at Chicago, and is one of the most exemplary and popular young men that Sycamore ever produced. Mrs. Kellum was born at La Porte, Dec. 31, 1833, and is the daughter of Wm. and Caroline Clement. She is a lady of more than ordinary strength of character, and in her domestic circle her fine womanly traits shine pre-eminent To her the words, "Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her," apply with peculiar force and truth. Judge Kellum's portrait appears on a previous page. The reprint of his features in this work will afford a general satisfaction. His mobile face has been for many years one of the most welcome on the streets of Sycamore. It bears the impression of a candid, manly, generous character, and a spirit wholly untainted by selfishness. The photograph from which the portrait was engraved was taken in 1885. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Hon. Archie G. KENNEDY
For many years an honored member of the bench and bar of DeKalb County, Judge Archie G. Kennedy has been engaged in the practice of his profession continuously at DeKalb since 1894. During this long period he has been identified with much of the important litigation that has come before the courts, and it has been his fortune to win success and position with honor and without animosity. Judge Kennedy was born August 24, 1866, in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Rev. David S. and Nancy W. (Kelly) Kennedy, and a grandson of natives of Ohio who spent their lives as farming people in the Buckeye State. Rev. David S. Kennedy was born in Ohio, where he was reared in Mahoning County, and was given good educational advantages, graduating from Westminster College, Wilmington, Pennsylvania, where he met his future wife, a native of Indiana County, Pennsylvania, and a graduate of the same institution. Reverend Kennedy was for many years a preacher of the United Presbyterian faith and during the war between the states went to the front with the Union army and engaged in religious work with the fighting forces. In 1878 he came to Illinois and settled in Somonauk Township, DeKalb County, where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer and a minister. Mrs. Kennedy, who is also deceased, was a daughter of John Kelly, a native of Pennsylvania, who passed his entire life in farming in that state. They were the parents of five sons and five daughters, of whom three sons and three daughters survive. Reverend Kennedy was a Republican in politics, but took only a good citizen's part in public affairs. He passed away in May, 1898 and Mrs. Kennedy in January, 1921.
The fifth in order of birth of his parents' children, Archie G. Kennedy attended public schools in Pennsylvania and Illinois, including the high school at Sandwich and the State Normal University at Normal, Illinois. Subsequently he pursued a course at Monmouth (Illinois) College and then began to read law under the preceptorship of Judge Carens, at DeKalb, was admitted to the bar and in the same year commenced practice at DeKalb, which town has since been his home and the scene of his professional success, he having attracted to himself a large and representative clientage. After admission he continued his legal studies in the Chicago Law School and graduated as a member of the class of 1899. A Republican in his political attachment, Judge Kennedy served as a city attorney of DeKalb and as a state's attorney for DeKalb County from 1900 to 1904. Under appointment of Governor Deenan he served as judge of the Court of Claims, and for ten or twelve years was president of the high school board. He belongs to the DeKalb County Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the American Bar Association, and at this time devotes himself to his practice. He is a member of the Benevolent and rotective Order of Elks and the Chamber of Commerce, and has always been a constructive supporter of movements for the benefit of the community and its people.
On January 16, 1899, Judge Kennedy was united in marriage with Miss Katherine Fuller, who was born in DeKalb County, Illinois, a daughter of Willkaim Fuller, who was for years a prominent farmer of this locality, but is now deceased. No children have been born to this union. By a former marriage, to Bert Lindsey, Mrs. Kennedy had one daughter, who married J. B. Abernathy and has one son and two daughters: Elizabeth Kennedy and Janet. Mr. and Mrs. Abernathy now make their home in Springfield, Vermont, where Mr. Abernathy is successfully engaged in the drug business and is also active in Republican politics. Prior to her marriage Mrs. Abernathy made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy, by whom she was the most carefully reared and educated. [Source: "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933 - Transcribed by KT]
GEORGE H. KESLER
George H. Kesler, farmer, section 16, Genoa Township, has been a resident of De Kalb County since 1859, with the exception of two years, which he passed in Burlington, Kane Co., Ill., the date of his parents’ removal hither. He was born Aug. 7, 1839, in Orleans Co., N. Y., and is next the youngest in birth of 10 children. His brothers and sisters were Abraham, Phebe, Mary, Eliza, Andrew, James, Lyman, Horace and John. His parents. Philip and Betsey (House) Kesler, were natives respectively of Germany and the State of New York. The father died in the township of Genoa Oct. 22, 1880; the mothers demise occurred July 3, 1864. Mr. Kesler is one of the substantial farmers of his township and county, and is the owner of 325 acres of valuable farming land, which is nearly all under cultivation. He is a Republican in political faith and relations, and has held various local offices. His marriage to Mary A. Smith occurred at Kingston July 4, 1861, and they have been the parents of eight children, four of whom are still living, namely: Lillie M., who married F. B. Fieste, Sept. 4, 1884; George G., Luella and Elinor S. Those deceased were named Ira J., Adaline, Robert S. and Emmett. The parents of Mrs. Kesler, Robert and Susanna (Ruth) Smith, were natives respectively of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. She is the second of four children, and was born Oct. 12, 1841, in New Jersey. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
William King, farmer, section 34, Genoa Township, was born June5, 1817, in Essex Co., N.Y., and is the son of Reuben and Roxana (De Wolf) King. His parents were natives of Massachusetts, where they resided some years after their marriage, and subsequently removed to the State of New York. On their emigration to De Kalb County they located in Genoa Township, going later to pass the last years of their lives with a daughter in Kane Co., Ill., and there died. Mr. King is next the youngest in order of birth of 11 children born to his parents. He lived in his native county until he was 19 years of age, when he went to Trumbull Co., Ohio, and there he maintained a residence until 1849, the date of his removal to the State of Illinois. He settled in Genoa Township, where he has been a citizen since, with the exception of two years which he passed in Nebraska. He is a Republican in political connection and accepts the tenets of the party. He has held several of the minor local official positions. He was first married to Hannah (Dowd) Miller, widow of William Miller, in Trumbull Co., Ohio. She bore him five children,—Nelson, Alva D., Alfred, Melvin and Emma. The mother was a native of New York, and died in the township of Sycamore, Feb. 12, 1877. Mr. King was married the second time June 3, 1877, in Genoa Township, to Harriet L., daughter of Joseph and Julia A. (Haskins) Dano. Herbert, Reuben and Justin are the names of the children born of the second marriage. Mrs. King was born Jan. 3, 1856, in Leeds Co., Ont. Her parents were born in the State of New York, and after their marriage settled in the Dominion of Canada, where her father died. Her mother lives at Sycamore. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
ANDRES J. KINGSLEY
Andres J. Kingsley, a prominent citizen and representative business man residing upon section 23, Little Valley Township, McPherson County, Kan., is ambitious, energetic and enterprising, and to his zealous efforts in behalf of local progress and improvement the advancement of many of the leading interests of the county are due. An efficient member of the School Board, he has materially aided in raising the standard of scholarship and instruction, and in the discharge of various official duties has won the esteem and confidence of his co-workers and the general public.
Born May 1, 1835, in *New London County, Conn*., our subject’s ancestors were among those sons of New England, earnest, tried and true, who have taken a high place in our country’s history. The paternal grandfather of Andrew J. Kingsley, Asahel Kingsley, was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and in the struggle for National Independence fought bravely for God and Liberty. Surviving the perils of those troublous times, he married and in the good old State of Connecticut, reared a family, of whom the father of our subject was a son. This son, Shubael W. was a native of New London, and there was educated, married, and died at a good old age. His life was uneventful, yet he was honored by his fellow-citizens, and held various positions of public trust. He was a Selectman in his native town, and a representative in the legislature of the State. In early life a strong Democrat, he afterward was a stalwart Republican and prominent in politics. In religion, he was a Baptist, and lived and died an upright, conscientious man.
The mother, Mary (Loomis) Kingsley, was born in Andover of the same State, where she spent her entire life, and reared a family of seven children, of whom three yet survive. Like her husband, she was a Baptist in persuasion, and a devoted Christian woman. Andrew J. was the second child, and received a good common-school education in his native State, and there taught school. When twenty-one years of age, he left home and went to New York, and worked for a lumber company in the Catskill Mountains, where he remained for eighteen months. In 1857, Mr. Kingsley was united in marriage with Miss Minerva L. Fuller, also a native of Connecticut, and a niece of the well known Dr. Fuller, of Hartford, Conn. Mrs. Kingsley was a daughter of William and Nancy (Polley) Fuller, both natives of Connecticut. She received a good education and taught school before her marriage. Eleven children blessed the home of our subject and his estimable wife. Four daughters and two sons are now living: Lucius F., Florence A., Clara A., Fred B., Grace M. and Mary E.
After his marriage, Mr. Kingsley returned to his native State, and there spent six months, at the end of which time he journeyed with his wife to De *Kalb County, Ill*. and located upon a rented farm. Two years later, they removed to *LaSalle County*, and lived there three years, finally settling in Grundy County, where without a dollar of capital our subject bought a farm, and in ten years was worth $10,000, money he himself had earned.
Mr. Kingsley then invested the most of his fortune in a mercantile and grain business, and lost half his money. Courageously gathering together the remuant (sic) of his possessions, he emigrated to Kansas, and made his home upon his present farm. The land then had never known a plow, but was all unbroken prairie. To-day our subject owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, three hundred acres of which are under high cultivation, and yield a bounteous harvest. Mr. Kinsley has also been the owner of five other neighboring farms, which he has disposed of advantageously. His agricultural interest are most prosperous, and have been managed with characteristic energy and excellent judgment. He deals extensively in livestock, and has now on hand one hundred and fifty head of fine cattle.
Our subject and his wife are among the valued members and active workers of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and, together with their family, are important factors in the success of the various benevolent, religious and social enterprises of their township and vicinity. Mr. Kingsley has ever taken a deep interest in educational advancement, and while in *Grundy County, Ill*., and also in *Livingston County*, of the same State, was Treasurer of the School Fund, and in his present home has always been a member of the School Board. His children are well educated, two of them having completed a course of instruction at college. Our subject is fraternally associated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 235-236 Transcribe by Lisa Smalley]
GEORGE W. KIRK
George W. Kirk, marketman at Kirkland, was born May 8, 1850, in Franklin Township, De Kalb County. He is the son of William T. and Louisa (Riddle)Kirk, whose biographical narrative may be found elsewhere.
Mr. Kirk was brought up on his father’s farm and obtained his elementary education at the common schools, after which he entered the excellent schools at Rockford, where he fitted for matriculation at Beloit College, Wis., and completed a course of study there in 1870. He returned to De Kalb County and located as a practical agriculturist on a farm of 160 acres, of which he became proprietor by an arrangement with his father. He devoted his attention wholly to farming and raising stock, and spent some years in that avenue of business, finally relinquishing farming and becoming interested in shipping stock for the Chicago market. After operating exclusively in that branch for some years, he added a meat market to supply local trade at Kirkland, and is now doing an extensive business. He is a Republican in political faith and action and has held the offices of Village Treasurer and Road Commissioner. He was married March 11, 1880, in Kingston Township, to Betsey Foster, daughter of Thomas Foster. Her father is deceased and her mother is the wife of H. P. Grout. She was born June 18, 1857. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
DANIEL T. LANE
Daniel T. Lane, farmer on the southwest quarter of section 21, Cortland Township, where he has 40 acres, was born in Sanbornton, Belknap Co., N.H., June 6, 1825. His father, Simeon Lane, was a farmer, and died in New Hampshire, aged 75 years. His mother, Huldah, nee Robinson, died also in that state, at the age of 59 years. The latter lived in his native State until 25 years of age, on a farm, working by the month the several years of this period. In 1850 he came West and located in St. Charles, Kane Co., Ill., where he engaged in manual labor by the day for seven years or more. He then went to Warrenville, Du Page Co., Ill., and rented a farm two or three years; then rented a farm near St. Charles for a year. By this time the need of the nation for soldiers became so great that Mr. Lane concluded to risk his life in the Union cause. In August, 1862, therefore, he enlisted, in Co. E. 127th Ill. Vol. Inf., Captain Gillett, Colonel Van Arman, in the 15th Anny Corps, under Gen. John A. Logan. He took part in five battles, —two at Vicksburg, and one each at Little Rock, Resaca and Dallas (Ga.),—in which last he was wounded, May 7,1864, by a minie ball that grazed the top of his head. He then went into the convalescent camp at Nashville, Tenn., where he did duty until he was discharged. Returning to Warrenville, he was on a farm for three years, when he sold the place and took possession of his present farm. Here he first had 80 acres, but has since sold half the place. He is a Republican in his political views, but neither he nor Mrs. L. is a member of any Church. He was first married June 1, 1853, to Sarah Pervere. Her parents, George and Hannah Pervere, both died in the Old Granite State. She was born Sept. 24, 1830, and died April 12, 1856, leaving one child, Luella, who was born July 31, 1854, in St. Charles, Ill. Mr. Lane was married a second time Sept. 19, 1858; in Warrenville, Ill., to Miss Helen Pelham, daughter of George and Louisa (Hovenden) Pelham, natives of England. Her father was born March 19, 1809, and died Jan. 27,1884; her mother, born Dec. 28, 1809, is still living, in Warrenville, with a son. They, with a family of six children, emigrated to Huron Co., Ohio, in the winter of 1841, just after the death of one of their children. After residing in the latter place three years they came to Warrenville, locating upon a farm he purchased in the vicinity. Mrs. Lane was born July 29, 1833, in England, and was eight years old when the family emigrated to this country. Her parents came here poor, but by frugality they in time accumulated a handsome amount of property. Mr. Pelham, by his death, left a large circle of mourning friends. He had led a noble Christian life. Mr. and Mrs. Lane's children are the following: George S., born Jan. 7, 1860; Albert M., Aug. 26, 1861; Huldah L., Feb. 14, 1863, died March 21, following, and was buried in her grandfather's dooryard in Warrenville; Lillian B., Sent. 4, 1866; and Henry I., Aug. 28, 1870. The first two and the fourth were born in Warrenville; Huldah L. was born in Wheaton, Ill., and the last in Cortland Township, at the present place of residence. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Mrs. Kate MITCHELL
The venerable subject of this personal reference is a successful farmer of Centerville township, Neosho county, and is a native of Ontario, Canada, where in Otonabee county, she was born on the 9th day of August, 1840. Her parents were George and Margaret (Graham) Erskine, born in Ireland and came to America about 1820 and settled in Canada, where the father died at sixty-five and the mother at fifty-eight years old. Two of their seven children were born in the old country and all except our subject reside still in the Dominion of the King. In 1856 Mrs. Mitchell, then a young lady, became a resident of DeKalb county, Illinois, where she was married in 1858, to Norman Mitchell. Her husband was a native of Alleghany county, New York, born May 25, 1827. His childhood and youth were spent on the farm and his education was obtained in the country schools. He was of French extraction and is of the Boston family of Mitchells whose family geneology [sic] is now being compiled. He came west to Illinois with his parents in 1837 and settled in DeKalb county, where he resided till attaining his majority. In early life he went to Oregon and spent several years on the Pacific coast. Returning east he was married and directly moved to Iowa where he purchased land and resumed the occupation of his boyhood. He remained in that state till 1877 when he brought his family to Kansas and established them in Neosho county; here he died on the 7th of May, 1880. When her husband died Mrs. Mitchell was living on a rented farm and was left with seven children to provide for and to educate. She soon purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and the real battle of life began. What she and the children have accomplished is best shown by the possession of a well improved farm, with no debts and with a personal credit of the first order. From a position of penury and scarcity to one of plenty and independence was a long road and a hard pull and none but those with a parallel experience will ever know the sleeplessness and anxiety of this mother while guiding her little craft over this sea of experience. She has survived to witness all her children reach maturity and all but two to go out into the world and take their places among honored people of their communities. Eugene, the oldest, resides in Erie; Frank is in Colorado; and so is Harry; Alta is the wife of Levi Waggoner, and Maude is the wife of Charles Waggoner; and Roy and Maggie are with the mother on the old home. Despite the disadvantages of Mrs. Mitchell in later life, she is a woman of intelligence and information. She is something of a reader of papers and periodicals and is a good listener and a close observer. Experience has taught her many valuable and practical things, and, after all, they are the real lessons of life. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
William J. MORSCH
Agent Buick automobile; proprietor Morsch's Garage; (Republican); born December 15, 1863, La Salle, Illinois; son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Schmidt) Morsch. He was educated in the public schools of De Kalb county, Illinois. Mr. Morsch engaged in farming in De Kalb county from 1884 until 1892, when he located near Douglas, Wyoming, and in Weston county, Wyoming, in the sheep business, engaging in that business in Wyoming until 1907, in which year he located in the same business in Billings and Miles City, Montana. He returned to Douglas in 1909, and built the first garage in Converse county and operates it under the name of W. J. Morsch & Son. In politics he is a Republican and served as a member of the board of county commissioners of Converse county from 1911 to 1915. He was president of the Douglas Good Roads Club from 1911 to 1913, is a 32nd degree Mason, a member of Wyoming Consistory No. 1, a member of the Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World. Address: Douglas, Wyoming. [Source: "Men of Wyoming...", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915;- Tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
William J. MORSCH
Among the energetic stockmen of Converse county, Wyoming, none stands any higher in public esteem or is reaping better results from his industrious and persistent efforts than the very public spirited gentleman whose name heads this review. He comes of that good German stock whose qualities of thrift, industry and correct citizenship have been factors of great benefit in the building up of the Great West, his paternal grandfather, the emigrant, settling in LaSalle county, Ill., in the early part of the nineteenth century and there passing his life in agricultural pursuits. His son, Jacob Morsch, a native of Baden, Germany, came in childhood with the family immigration, laboring in the homestead until his marriage with Elizabeth Smith, who was also a native of Baden, continuing his residence in LaSalle county until 1868, when he removed to DeKalb county, where he and his wife still reside, having followed profitable farming all of his days, and having four sons and two daughters, of whom William J. was the second son. Educated in the public schools of DeKalb county and remaining on the homestead farm of 600 acres, in 1892 W. J. Morsch came westward to Wyoming and direct to Douglas, engaging immediately in the raising of sheep, successfully following that vocation, with headquarters on his extensive ranch in Weston county, eighty-five miles distant from Douglas, until the present time, conducting his operations with care and discrimination, being prospered as the symmetrical result of his systematic endeavors and maintaining a prominent and pleasant relation with a large number of business associates and friends and also being held in high esteem for his companionable and social qualities. He holds connection with the Republican political party, while fraternally he is united with the Freemasons, the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen. On December 15, 1886, he was united in marriage with Esther A. Beitel, who was born in DeKalb county, Illinois, the daughter of a prominent farmer, Julius T. Beitel, a native of Pennsylvania. Their residence in Douglas is an artistic two-story building of modern architecture and improvements, beautifully situated and surrounded by a fine lawn and shade trees, making a lovely and attractive home for the three children. Edna E., Jesse J. and Esther, while it is a center of gracious and profuse hospitality. In business, social and society circles this family takes a harmonious place, every plan for social enjoyment or neighborhood betterment meeting their concurrence and aid. ["Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901, By A.W. Bowen & Co - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
ANDREW H. OLMSTEAD
Andrew H. Olmstead, farmer, section 17, Genoa Township, is the son of Caleb and Samantha (Wager) Olmstead, whose biographical notice appears on another page. He was born Jan. 12, 1836, in Delaware Co., N.Y. His parents came to De Kalb County in 1846, and he has been a resident of Genoa Township since he was 10 years of age, with the exception of several months in 1874, which he spent in travel in Colorado and California for the benefit of his health. He is one of the leading agriculturists of his township, where he owns nearly 1,000 acres of land, all under improvements. His stock includes an average of 150 head of cattle, 10 horses, and he fattens for market about 75 hogs yearly. He was married Dec. 29, 1859, in Genoa Township to Rebecca J. Eiklor, and they have been the parents of three children,—Cora M., born June 6, 1866; Ada M., Sept. 13, 1869; and Effie R., Jan. 15, 1879. The latter died when two years and four months old. Mrs. Olmstead was born Aug. 30, 1844,in Erie Co., Ohio. She is the daughter of Frederick and Jeannette Eiklor, both of whom were natives of Ohio. Mr. Olmstead is a Republican by principle and inheritance and has held several local offices. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
HENRY N. OLMSTEAD
Henry N. Olmstead, farmer, section 16, Genoa Township, is a native of the place where he has passed his entire life to the present date. He was born March 4, 1851, and is the son of Caleb and Samantha (Wager) Olmstead, natives of the State of New York. (See sketch of Caleb Olmstead.) Mr. Olmstead obtained a fair common-school education, which he completed by attendance at the High School at Sycamore. When he was 22 years of age he embarked in his career of independent manhood, and in 1884 purchased the family homestead, which included 160 acres of valuable land, nearly all being under cultivation. Mr. Olmstead has been identified throughout his career in political matters with the Republican party, and has officiated in the discharge of the duties pertaining to several local offices. His marriage to Jane Wright took place at Genoa, March 4, 1877. They have had four children, viz.: Caleb, born Oct 23, 1878; Olin H., June 22, 1879; Nellie and Jay G. The two youngest are not living. Mrs. Olmstead was born Aug. 9, 1857, in Sycamore, and is the daughter of Royal and Mary (Siglin) Wright, the former a native of New York, the latter born in Pennsylvania. Her parents located at Sycamore soon after marriage, and her father there engaged in farming. He died March 1, 1872. Her mother lives in Iowa. Mrs. Olmstead is the eldest of eight children. Her brothers and sisters were named Frank, Asa, Charles, Amos, Jacob, Flora and Hiram. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
John McDowell, farmer, resident on section 1, Franklin Township, is a pioneer of De Kalb County and the oldest living settler of the township where he made his claim Sept. 16, 1833. On that day, in company with Robert Stewart, Reuben Penwell and Leisier Carver, Mr. McDowell came to Franklin Township from La Porte, Ind. The country was in a wholly wild and unbroken condition, and the Indians still loitered about the grove. Mr. McDowell remained through the winter; his companions returned to their homes. He was then 23 years of age and unmarried.
He was born in York Co., Pa. His father, William McDowell, descended from Scotch parents and was a farmer, in moderate circumstances. The mother of the subject of this sketch, Sarah (McLean) McDowell, was of Irish birth. Both parents are deceased. The son was "bound out" by his father when quite young, and when he was 18 he was apprenticed to learn the trade of shoemaking. During this time he went to Bartholomew Co., Ind., and settled there with the man to whom he was indentured. Later they went to La Porte Co., Ind. In the year named above he came, as stated, to De Kalb County, and has been a resident on the claim he then made. It consisted of 155 acres, to which he added by later purchase, increasing his estate to 213 acres of valuable land, 75 acres of which is still covered with an original growth of timber. The exact point of the location is designated Forest Grove.
Mr. McDowell is a Democrat of a decided and inflexible type.
He was married Jan. 31, 1839, to Martha Riddle, at the farm house of her parents situated on the Kishwaukee River. They had eight children, five of whom are deceased. The parents of Mrs. McDowell, John and Susan (Anderson) Riddle, were respectively of English and Irish descent, the father being a native of Tennessee and the mother of North Carolina. Both are deceased. They belonged while in the South to the better class of society, and while there were adherents of the Christian Church. Later they adopted the tenets of the Seventh-Day Adventists. The daughter was born April 2, 1822, in Jefferson Co., Tenn., and came with her parents to Illinois, the family locating on a farm in Franklin Township. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
James A. PATTEN
James A. Patten, who is said to have gained a fortune out of the recent rise in May wheat, has been conspicuous for several years as a daring and successful Chicago board of trade operator in wheat and corn. He has been in the board of trade business since 1878 and previously served four years as an employe of the State grain inspection department in Chicago. Mr. Patten lives in Evanston, Ill., and was mayor of that city four years, besides serving two terms as alderman. He was born in Dekalb County, Illinois, in 1852, and as a boy worked in a country store and on a farm. ["Valentine Democrat" (Valentine, Neb.), April 22, 1909 - Submitted by K. T.]
Orrin Pierce, farmer, section 16, Genoa Township, was born July 4, 1839, in Otsego Co., N.Y. His parents, Martin and Mary (Carpenter) Pierce, were natives of the Empire State, where they married and settled, remaining until 1854, when they located in Genoa Township. In the fall of 1873 they removed to Belvidere, Boone Co., Ill., where the mother died a few days later. Their family consisted of seven children, —William L., Daniel W., Emmeline, Orrin, Charles, James and Oliver. James died from an injury received while leading a horse to water, he having in some way become entangled in the halter.
Mr. Pierce was 13 years of age when he accompanied his parents to Genoa Township, and he has continued a resident of that section of De Kalb County since, with the exception of five years, during which he was a resident of the Territory of Montana, engaged in mining and farming. His efforts there met with only moderate success, and he returned to the land of promise, Genoa Township. He is the proprietor of 130 acres of land, which is all under tillage with the exception of about 10 acres. He has been a Republican since reaching man's estate, and has served in several local official positions.
He was married Jan. 2, 1871, in Madison Co., N. Y., to Mary Pyne, and they have four children,— Mary L., John M., Harvey G. and Ruth H. Mrs. Pierce was born Nov. 29, 1846, in Oneida Co., N.Y., and is the daughter of John and Sarah Pyne. She is the second in order of birth and has three sisters, -- Hannah, Lucy and Sarah. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
WILLIAM L. PIERCE
William L. Pierce, farmer, section 16, Genoa Township, has been a resident of DeKalb County since he was 21 years of age. He was born Oct. 11, 1832, in Delaware Co., N.Y., and is the eldest of seven children. His parents, Martin and Mary (Carpenter) Pierce, were born in the State of New York, married and settled there continuing to reside in the Empire State until their migration to Genoa Township, in De Kalb County in 1854. In 1873 they transferred their residence and interests into Belvidere. The mother is no longer living, and the father has since been twice married. The brothers and sisters of Mr. Pierce were named, William L., Daniel W., Emmeline, Orrin, Charles, James and Oliver. James is deceased. (See sketch of Orrin Pierce.) Mr. Pierce spent the years of his boyhood and youth in obtaining his education in the common schools and in farm labor under his father’s instructions. Soon after he came to De Kalb County he bought 40 acres in Genoa Township. He has increased his estate by the further purchase of 50 acres of land, and of the whole, 60 acres are improved and cultivated. In political faith Mr. Pierce is a Republican, and he has held several township offices. His marriage to Sarah Smith occurred Oct. 16, 1857, at Sycamore, and they have been the parents of three children, Maryetta, Robert J. and Arthur E. The first-born son was killed by the kick of a horse when he was five years of age, while leading the animal to water. Mrs. Pierce is the eldest of three children, and was born Dec. 24, 1839, in New Jersey. Her parents, Robert and -- Smith were natives of New Jersey. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CHARLES C. POND
Charles C. Pond, member of the firm of Warren & Pond, dealers in watches, clocks, jewelry, plated ware and musical instruments, at Sycamore, was born Dec. 24, 1856, in the township of Sycamore. His father, Americus H. Pond, was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Sycamore about 1850, where he married Amy Hollenbeck. They have five children: Emily E. is the wife of D. S. Brown, a banker at Genoa; C. C. was born next in order; William L. is an attorney at De Kalb; Harry A. is a farmer on the family homestead and Lizzie is the youngest. Mr. Pond became a teacher at the age of 20 years, and continued in the pursuit of that vocation until the spring of 1882, operating in this county continuously, with the exception of one term, when he taught at Laddonia, Audrain Co., Mo. In April of the year named, he entered into the partnership known as Pond & Bacon, in the sale of jewelry, the business of that firm continuing until March 3, when he purchased Mr. Bacon's interest, and on the 20th of March, 1884, Mr. Pond consolidated his business relations with those of George O. Warren. They are managing a prosperous enterprise, one of the largest in the line in the county. Mr. Pond belongs to the order known as the Modern Woodmen of America. He was married Sept. 30, 1880, at Sycamore, to Etta, daughter of Edmond B. and Susan Sivwright Harned, and they have one child, Ethel C., born Jan. 30, 1883. Mrs. Pond was born Dec. 7, 1858, in the township of Mayfield. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Norman Preston, farmer, section 29, Genoa Township, is a native citizen of the place of which he is a resident, and was born Oct. 12, 1840. His parents, Justus and Sina (Hall) Preston, were natives of Connecticut and became pioneer citizens of De Kalb County in 1836, settling in Genoa Township. The father died there June 2, 1847, aged 53 years, 5 months and 4 days; and the mother's demise took place Feb. 25, 1869, in that township. She was aged 67 years and and 26 days. Their children were named Henry, Augustus, Charles, George, Norman and Julia E. Mr. Preston acquired a common-school education and remained a member of the parental household until he was 25 years of age, when he was married and became the head of a family, settling in independent life in Genoa Township. Mrs. Preston, formerly Mary A. Hathaway, was born in the State of New York, March 4, 1846, and is the daughter of Edwin and Millicent (Rowley) Hathaway, who had seven children, viz.: Alonzo, Lydia J., Nathan R., Mary A., Alonzo E. and Joel B. One child died in extreme infancy, and also Alonzo, the eldest child, is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Preston were married at Sycamore, Jan. 1, 1866. They have one child, Sina M., born Aug. 31, 1872, in Genoa Township. Mr. Preston is identified with the Republican party in political views and connections. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
HARLEY B. ROWEN
Harley B. Rowen, grocer and Deputy Postmaster at Kirkland, was born on section 26, Franklin Township, May 29, 1861, and is the son of Stephen G. and Emmeline (Baker) Rowen. The record of the parents appear on another page.
Mr. Rowen grew to man's estate on the family homestead, and passed the winters at school in Kirkland. When he was 20 years of age he entered upon the duties of clerk of the Rowen House at Kirkland, which was under the management of his brother, Frank S. Rowen, and occupied that position until his marriage. Soon after that event he established the business in which he is at present engaged, commencing with limited means in an unassuming way. His energy and popularity, coupled with excellent management, has greatly increased his business relations, and he is fast rising to a position of equality with older firms in the same line of business. Mr. Rowen is a young Republican of ardent type and has been the deputy of his father several years. He represents several insurance companies.
His marriage to Georgia A. Bell occurred Jan. 1, 1883. Mrs. Rowen was born Sept. 7, 1862, on the farm of her father in Kingston Township. She is the daughter of George M. and Sarah M. (Little) Bell. Her father is a native of Pennsylvania, and was an architect and builder by profession. He was of mixed German and Irish descent. The mother was born in the State of New York, of English and French parentage. They came to Illinois before marriage and settled on a farm in Kingston after that event. In 1867 they removed to Belvidere, Boone County, and thence one year later to Sycamore. Mrs. Rowen was educated at the latter place and in Chicago, where she attended school about 18 months. She began teaching when she was 17 years of age, and continued her vocation in De Kalb County until her marriage. With her husband, she attends the Congregational Church, and is a member of the choir. Both are actively interested in Sunday-school work, and are valued and esteemed members of society. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
WILLIAM H. ROWEN
William H. Rowen, farmer and stockman on section 26, Franklin Township, was born on the farm on which he is a resident Sept. 25, 1858. He is the son of Wm. H. and Mercy (Caswell) Rowen. The former was born December 3, 1799, in Hebron, Washington Co., N.Y., and came to De Kalb County in June, 1843, and entered the farm where he died April 4, 1880. The family was among the earliest settlers of the township. The senior Rowen was twice married. Of the first marriage, to Betsey Gorham (see sketch of S. G. Rowen), nine children were born, and after the death of the first wife he was married Dec. 25, 1856, to Mrs. Mercy Caswell. She was born Jan. 7, 1822, in Union, Broome Co., N. Y., and came to Illinois with her grandparents when she was 13 years old. She was married Aug. 2, 1840, to Marcus Caswell, a native of the State of New York, born March 15, 1820. He was killed in California in July, 1855, by the accidental bursting of a gun. Mr. Caswell is survived by two children, —Charles H., born Nov. 2, 1841, a resident of Bremer Co., Iowa, and Josephine L., born Nov. 30, 1849. She married Edward Gorham March 15, 1866, and is a resident of Franklin Township. Of her marriage to Mr. Rowen two children were born,—W. H. and Samuel P. G. The birth of the latter occurred Dec. 3, 1863. Mrs. Rowen, with her two sons, occupies the family homestead. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
JAMES S. RUSSELL
James S. Russell, Police Magistrate, resident at De Kalb, was born Sept. 25, 1834, in Warren Co., Ind. His parents, John and Mary A. (Fleming) Russell, were natives of Ohio and settled in De Kalb County in the spring of 1848. They located on a farm in Kingston Township, where the mother died Dec. 28, 1879. Their seven children were named James S., Westly D., Robert W., Sylvester S., David F., Milton D., Reuben A. and Sarah J. At the date of the removal of the family to De Kalb County, Mr. Russell was 14 years old. The first 19 years of his life were devoted to labor on his father’s farm and in securing his education at the common schools. From that period until he was 22 he attended Mount Morris Seminary, in Ogle County. On completing his studies he went to Wyoming, Iowa, and was occupied through the following year as a book-keeper. Returning to Kingston, he engaged in the management of a part of the homestead farm, which he worked on shares for nine years. In August, 1867, he came to De Kalb and purchased a half interest in the livery establishment of S. Duffy, succeeding to the sole proprietorship in the spring of 1868. In 1881 he sold the livery with its equipments to Orlando Carter. He next engaged as traveling salesman in the interests of the Superior Barb Wire Company and occupied that position six months. In the fall of 1881 he became an owner by purchase of an interest in a hardware house, the property of a body of stockholders, of whom Mr. Russell was President. At the end of four months he terminated his connection with the company. In the spring of 1884 he was elected to the office of Police Magistrate of De Kalb, which position has since monopolized his time and attention. Mr. Russell is prominent as an agriculturist and owns 160 acres of improved land in Afton Township. He has officiated as President, Secretary and Treasurer of De Kalb County Agricultural Society, and has discharged the duties of several local official positions. He has been a member of the Board of Education through several terms, and occupied the position of President of that body. He has been active and influential in educational matters since he has resided in the bounty. He officiated one year as President of the City Council and was by virtue of that office Supervisor of his township. He was Clerk of Kingston Township during his residence there. Politically Mr. Russell is a Republican. He has been a sufferer from the result of a severe attack of rheumatism since 1860. He was violently ill during 35 days, and has been seriously disabled since. He was married June 14, 1858, to Margaret, daughter of William and Ellison Cooper. The family of Mrs. Russell were at that date residents of De Kalb County, but in 1880 sold the homestead in Kingston Township and removed to their present location in Belvidere, Boone County. Mr. and Mrs. Russell have three children. J. Alva was born Dec. 28, 1862; R. Arthur, April 24,1870; Mabel C., Sept. 14, 1872. Four brothers of Mr. Russell entered the military service of the United States during the war of the Rebellion, three of whom lost their lives. Westly D. enlisted in the 13th Ill. Vol. Inf., and died in Kingston Township, from the consequences of disease contracted in the army. Robert W. became a soldier in the 43d Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf. He was killed in a charge on a rebel battery in the battle of Stone River. David F. belonged to the 95th Ill. Inf., and died in the hospital at Vicksburg. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
JAMES P. SEAMAN
James P. Seaman, farmer on section 15, Cortland Township, has land also on sections 14 and 16, -- 120 acres in all. He was born in the town of Bovina, Delaware Co., N. Y., Aug. 21, 1830. His parents were Ephraim and Naomi (Carman) Seaman, both of whom have long since deceased. His father, who was born in 1805, was killed Dec. 21, 1847, in the township of Preston, Chenango Co., N. Y. While cutting down a tree for a sick neighbor, it broke in two about 16 feet up, and in chopping it down from this awkward position it fell upon his neck and broke it! He was thus found by James P., the subject of this sketch, and by a man who afterward became his brother-in-law. The senior Seaman was also a native of Bovina Township. When the subject of this sketch was n years old, his parents emigrated with him to Chenango Co., N. Y., where he lived until 1854. He then came to Cortland Township, this county, and worked in company with Amos Rogers three years, when his mother purchased the present homestead. At her death it was divided among the three children of her first marriage, James being the administrator. Her second marriage was to Robert Clark, a sea captain. She was born Feb. 19, 18to, in the town of Bovina, N. Y. Both her parents were of Yankee ancestry. A great-great-grandfather was a seaman in the Revolutionary War, a Major, and on that account received a large tract of land, which he sold at six cents per acre, it being in the Southern States. Mr. Seaman was married Nov. 15,1857, in Oxford, Chenango Co., N. Y., to Miss Mary A., daughter of Levi B. and Caroline E. (Olds) Jackson. Her father was born Feb. 24, 1808, was a shoemaker by vocation, and died Sept. 2, 1876, in Oxford, N. Y. Her mother was born Feb. 24, 1810, in Oxford N. Y. Mrs. S., the second child in the above family, was born Dec. 28, 1837, in Erie Co., N. Y., and was a year old when her parents moved to Oxford. Of the six children in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Seaman, three are deceased. The record stands: Carrie L., born July to, 1860, in this (Cortland) Township; Arthur C, July 8, 1865, in this township, and died March 16, 1876, and is buried in Ohio Grove Cemetery; Nonie C, born Feb. n, 1868, and died in Cortland, Jan. 16, 1881; Frankie, born July 12, 1870, died Aug. 25, following, and is also buried in Ohio Grove Cemetery; May L., Aug. 4, 1871; and Lizzie H., Aug. 28, 1875,—the last two born also in Cortland. Mr. Seaman is a Republican in his political views, and both himself and wife are members of the Freewill-Baptist Church. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
Jacob Seibert, farmer, in Franklin Township, was born Sept. 12, 1825, in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. His parents were born, lived and died in that country. Mr. Seibert was educated in accordance with the laws of his native land and remained there until 1854. In the summer of that year he emigrated to the New World, and on landing in this continent made his way to Belvidere, Boone Co., Ill., where he passed some time as a general laborer.
He was married Jan. 4, 1861, at Belvidere, to Christina Stenner. She was born Nov. 17, 1844, in Hesse Darmstadt, and is the daughter of Valentine and Macalina (Click) Stenner. The family took a final leave of the old country in 1854, coming to Illinois and locating in Boone County. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Seibert were born as follows: Adelia, Nov. S. 1861 (married Dec. 25, 1878, to William Adams, a farmer of Franklin Township); Fred, born Jan. 23, 1866; and Reuben, born Feb. 26, 1873. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Seibert settled on a farm in Boone County, where they resided two years, and at the end of that time the former entered the United States Army, enlisting Aug. 12, 1862, in Co. G, 95th Reg. Vol. Inf., which was commanded by Captain Bush, of Belvidere. The regiment was attached successively to the corps of Generals Logan and Grant, and Mr. Seibert was a participant in 11 battles, the most important of which were: Vicksburg, Memphis, Corinth and Mobile. He was slightly wounded at Vicksburg, and sustained serious injury to his hearing, from an explosion on the field at that place. At Mobile his left arm was shot away by a mortar shell from a mortar boat, and he was removed to the marine hospital at New Orleans. On sufficiently recovering to enable him to travel, he was honorably discharged, obtaining his papers June 23, 1865. On returning to his family Mr. Seibert purchased 40 acres of land in Franklin Township, to which he has added a similar quantity by later purchase, and his entire farm is under excellent improvements. He is a Republican in political connection and is a Steward and Trustee in the Methodist Episcopal Church, or which Mrs. Seibert is also a member. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
GEORGE M. SIVWRIGHT
George M. Sivwright, of the firm of Ellwood & Sivwright, grocers, etc., and Sycamore, was born Dec. 2, 1837, in Cornwallis, Kings Co., N.S., and is the son of James M. and Prudence (Eaton) Sivwright. His father was born in Windsor, N.S., Feb. 20, 1804, and began his business life as a tanner and boot and shoe manufacturer at Cornwallis, where he operated until he removed his family to Sycamore in 1844. He became a landholder in the township of Mayfield, De Kalb County, and died on the homestead, Dec. 24, 1878. George's mother was born in 1807, in Cornwallis, N. S., and died at the home of her youngest son in Sycamore, Nov. 25, 1881. Five of their seven children are living. David L. resides in Hutchinson, Mc Leod Co., Minn., is a farmer and farrier and ex-Sheriff of the county where he resides, is a man of wealth and position and a decided Republican. Susan H. married E. B. Harned, a farmer in the township of Sycamore and owning an extensive tract of land. Eunice died in the 17th year of her life. George M. is the next in order of birth. Alexander is a traveling salesman in the interests of the Marsh-Whitney Binder Company. Wentworth E. is a clerk in a hardware store at Sycamore. James L. resides on the homestead in Mayfield Township. William Wells is deceased. Mr. Sivwright was seven years of age when his parents located in De Kalb County, and he was brought up on the farm. On arriving at man's estate he became the proprietor of 120 acres of land in the township of Mayfield, and was actively engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1872. In that year he accepted a position as conductor on the Sycamore & Cortland Railroad and officiated six years. On the termination of that engagement he traveled some months as collector of the R. Ellwood Manufacturing Company. He acceded to a half interest in the business in which he is engaged in March, 1881, purchasing his claim of the senior member of the firm. The business is extensive and popular, and represents an estimated investment of $10,000. Their stock includes full lines of groceries, drugs, oils, paints, crockery, etc., and they utilize nearly the entire space of the three-story building which they occupy. Mr. Sivwright is a prominent member of the Order of Odd Fellows, and has filled successively all the chairs of the Subordinate Lodge and Encampment. He was married Dec. 26, i860, in Kingston, De Kalb County, to Maria L., daughter of Thomas and Temperance Fairclo. Mrs. Sivwright was born Dec. 22, 1840, at Morristown, N. J. Guy T. Sivwright, only child, was born Aug. 30, 1861, in Mayfield Township. He grew to manhood the idol of his parents, his succeeding years developing the fulfillment of the promises of his childhood and youth. He was carefully educated, and finished his studies at Valparaiso, Ind., College, where he was graduated and afterwards was an assistant in his father's business about one year. He possessed an admirable character and won the esteem of young and old. He was fitted for a life of usefulness, but all he might have been on earth and the hopes of those who loved him were blotted out by the dark-winged destroyer. In the fall of 1883, he sustained an injury from a fall in the skating-rink, which resulted in spinal abscess, and from which he died June 15, 1884. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
GEORGE E. STAFFORD
George E. Stafford, of the firm of Dayton & Stafford, stock dealers at Sycamore, was born Sept. 22, 1831, in Preston, Chenango Co., N.Y. Isaac Stafford, his father, was born in Vermont and married Lucy Seymour, a native of the State of New York, after his removal there. Later they came to Cortland Township, De Kalb County, where the mother died Feb. 16, 1876. The father died there July 21, 1883. Three of their five children are now living: Saxa is a fanner in Cortland Township; and Isaac is a physician in Harrison, Madison Co., Montana. Mr. Stafford was reared to the pursuit of agriculture, and came to De Kalb County in 1857. He was about 24 years of age when he became the proprietor of 27 acres of land in Cortland Township, situated on sections 15 and 22. From this beginning he has increased his possessions until he is the sole owner of 205 acres of land in that township, a half interest in 444 acres, and a third interest in 160 acres, all lying within the same township. He remained there resident until the spring of 1884, the date of his removal to Sycamore. In November of the same year he formed his present business relation with James Dayton and entered upon the purchase and shipment of stock to Chicago. Mr. Stafford was married Nov. 17, 1858, in the township of Cortland, to Christina, daughter of Peter and Isabel Youngs. Two children resulted from this union, namely, Emily, who is the wife of Charles A. Lattin, and Frank G., who is a dealer in live stock in Sycamore. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
John O. STRAND
John O. Strand is conducting an abstract office in Howard and has won a reputation for accurate and thorough work in that connection. He has also been closely identified with public affairs, having held a number of local offices. He was born in Norway, on the 1st of February, 1858, a son of T. O. Strand, whose birth occurred in Norway on the 25th of March, 1824. The mother, likewise a native of the land of the midnight sun, was in her maidenhood Bergit Ashland. The parents came to De Kalb county, Illinois, in 1861 and remained there upon a farm for five years, subsequently removing to Freeborn county, Minnesota, where they continued to reside for fifteen years. In 1881 they came to Miner county, South Dakota, and homesteaded land. The father passed away upon his farm in Miner county, January 14, 1889, and his demise was much regretted by his many friends and neighbors.
John O. Strand completed the course in the common schools of Freeborn county, Minnesota, and attended the Augsburg Seminary in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1878 until 1881. He subsequently took up a homestead in Miner county in his own name and remained upon the farm until 1888, when he was elected county treasurer and held the office for two years. When his term expired he engaged in mercantile business at Carthage, continuing in that line for eight years. At the end of that time his business was destroyed by fire and, as he was appointed clerk of the commissioners court of the public land office, he did not continue his mercantile enterprise. He held the office to which he was appointed for two years, making his residence during that time in Pierre. After resigning the position he opened an abstract office in Howard and has since devoted his time to its conduct. He has a large clientage and his abstracts are all prepared with great care so that they are in fact an accurate record of all transactions recorded affecting the property concerned. He has had some banking experience, as he was cashier of the Merchants Bank at Carthage for two years, proving himself an efficient and popular official.
Mr. Strand was married June 25, 1896, to Miss Lilly Johnson, a daughter of Bernt Johnson. Seven children have been born to this union as follows: Tansea J., whose birth occurred January 7, 1898; Agnes B., who was born March 26, 1899; John R., May 26, 1901; Lilah, January 4, 1903; Norman V., September, 1908; Vivian E., whose birth occurred in February, 1910; and Fern Iris, who was born November 11, 1912. The children are all attending the public and high schools of Howard. Mr. Strand is a prominent member of the Lutheran church, of which he is a trustee and also superintendent of the Sunday-school. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is now serving his second term as alderman. Fraternally he is a Mason and has many friends in that organization and in the community at large. ["History of Dakota Territory", By George Washington Kingsbury, George Martin Smith; Published by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1915 - Sub. by K. T.]
HENRY H. WAGNER
Henry H. Wagner, merchant at De Kalb, was born July 6, 1847, in La Salle Co., Ill. He passed the years of his early life on the homestead of his grandparents in De Kalb County, coming to De Kalb in 1863. After operating a few months as a clerk he entered the army of the United States, enlisting in Co. K., 132d Regiment of Illinois Infantry. After a service of five months, he received his discharge and resumed his former occupation of salesman for Winship Brothers, of De Kalb, operating in their interests but a short time, the business of the firm being interrupted by the death of the senior partner. Mr. Wagner entered the employment of R. K. Chandler, whose death in 1875 terminated the business, and Mr. Wagner embarked in a mercantile enterprise in his own behalf. He began on a limited scale, proceeded safely and secured a permanent foundation for his present extensive relations. He is the leading dealer in general merchandise at De Kalb. Politically Mr. Wagner is a decided Republican and is a member of Merritt Simonds Post, No. 283 G. A. R. His marriage occurred March 24, 1871, to Nancy E. Waite, a lady who was born in the State of New York, April 14, 1847. Of six children born of their union, four survive, namely, Eva L., Cora F., Elvin H. and Nina L. Those deceased died in infancy.[Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
ERASMUS D. WALROD
Erasmus D. Walrod, a pioneer of De Kalb County, was born June 16, 1816, at Oak Hill, Montgomery Co., N.Y. His parents, Peter W. and Mary (Wayt) Walrod, as well as his grandparents, were born in the State of New York, but the stock from which they descended originated in Germany.
The parents of Mr. Walrod removed to Wyoming Co., N. Y., when he was seven years of age, his father buying a farm in Eagle Township. (The municipality was then Allegany County, which was afterward divided and Wyoming County formed.) In 1835 the family set out for Illinois, bringing with them all their household effects in two wagons drawn by horses. Mr. Walrod was then 19 years of age and drove three horses attached to a heavy wagon. In crossing the Black Swamp in Ohio, they were obliged to double teams with other immigrants in order to ford the mud into which the wagon wheels sunk to their hubs. The transit consumed six weeks. On arrival in De Kalb County the father and older brother located at Union Grove in De Kalb Township, or what is now thus designated, the date of their location preceding the Government suivey. The father and two oldest sons each secured a claim on which log cabins had been erected, which they occupied, and made puncheon for doors, floors and tables. The senior Walrod retained ownership of his claim about three years, when he sold and obtained one in what is now the township of Sycamore. He built a log house, entered vigorously upon the improvement of the property, and died upon his homestead, in 1844. The mother died in 1856. They were the parents of nine children. Mr. Walrod is next to the youngest in order of birth. As soon as he arrived in De Kalb County he made a claim in Mayfield Township, which was “jumped” from him, and he secured another by purchase from his brother in the same township, built a log house and took possession. In 1839 he sold the property for $1,050 and bought a claim of L. D. Walrod situated on section 32 in Sycamore Township, a part of which is now included within the limits of the city. This was previous to its coming into market, and when the opportunity for securing his patent arrived he borrowed money and made the entry according to the regulations made and provided. With the exception of a period of seven years this estate has since been his residence. In 1850 Mr. Walrod made an overland journey to California, which occupied four months and three days. The party were well provisioned and spent their nights in camp. The route would have been made in entire comfort but for having overtaken three men without provisions, with whom they divided, which necessitated rationing the entire party. Mr. Walrod remained two years in the Golden State and returned by the isthmus route to New York, coming again to Sycamore, where his family had remained during his absence. Mr. Walrod was married Aug. 1, 1839, to Melintha Powell, a daughter of Rachel and Ruth (Pierce) Powell. Her father was born in England and was married after his emigration to America, her mother being of Massachusetts origin. Mrs. Walrod was born in the township of Perinton, Monroe Co., N. Y., Nov. 9, 1817. Her father died while she was an infant, and her mother afterwards became the wife of James Cartwright. The family migrated in 1837 to Illinois and located at Union Grove in De Kalb, County. The land included in the claim which Mr. Cartwright entered is now the county poor farm and under the finest class of improvements. Mr. and Mrs. Walrod have but one surviving child, Walter, D. , born March 13, 1843. He was educated in the public schools of Sycamore, and has been twice married. Mary (Watkins) Walrod died three years after marriage, leaving one child, Willie E. W. D. Walrod married Amanda Denmark for his second wife, and they have four children,—Malintha, George, Lewis and Walter. Ransom G., the eldest child of E. D. Walrod, was born Oct. 30, 1840. He was educated at Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill., his health failing while at school, and he died Aug. 15, 1857. Edward died in infancy. George C. was born Aug. 23, 1849. He attained to a fine degree of scholarly advancement and was graduated at a commercial college in Chicago, and afterward engaged in teaching. He died Feb. 9, 1875. James R. died in infancy. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
James Warner, merchant at Sandwich, was born Aug. 7, 1833, in Jackson, Washington Co., N.Y. His parents, William S. and Sarah (Coulter) Warner, were born in the State of New York and died in Washington County. Mr. Warner is the second of eight children, six of whom are living. Mary is the wife of A. Williams, a wholesale grocer of Troy, N. Y. Elizabeth is a widow, and is a resident of Cambridge, N. Y. Sylvester is a farmer, and Sarah is now Mrs. William J. Stevenson. Both live in their native State. Henry and Fannie are deceased; Lilly is the wife of Henry Billings. The early years of the life of Mr. Warner were spent on the farm and as a clerk in his father's store at Cambridge. He had just passed his majority, when, in 1855, he came to Sandwich. During the four years ensuing he taught four terms of winter school and alternated his labors as a pedagogue by clerking. When the Illinois & Mississippi Telegraph Company opened an office at Sandwhich, Mr. Warner became an operator, and officiated at intervals in that capacity several years. In 1859 he embarked in a mercantile enterprise with an associate under the firm style, of J. Warner & Co., and engaged in the sale of clothing about five years. In 1865, in partnership with Robert Stewart, he established a local trade in clothing, boots, shoes and also managing a tailor shop, and a shop for the manufacture of boots and shoes. A few years later Mr. Stewart sold his interest to George W. Davis, and the new firm continued operative about four years. Since that time Mr. Warner has prosecuted his business interests singly. In April, 1868, he located at his present stand, where he exhibits a fine line of goods common to his branch of trade and is doing a prosperous business. He was united in marriage at Sandwich, July 4, 1861, to Charlotte B. Townsend. Their five children were born in Sandwich in the following order: Frankie, James Leroy, Estella, Bessie and Henry S. Mr. Warner belongs to the Masonic fraternity. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
GEORGE O. WARREN
George O. Warren, of the firm of Warren & Pond, jewelers, at Sycamore, was born July 2, 1853, in Allegany Co., N.Y., and is the son of Luke A. and Ursula (Foster) Warren. He is one of a family of eight children, seven of whom are living. William H. is a gauger by profession, and resides in Dakota. Mary L. is the wife of J. E. Southworth and lives at Santa Clara, Cal. Sarah E. married Arthur E. Wilbur, of Clinton, Iowa. Alta R. is the wife of William Campbell, a farmer near Mason, Michigan. Michael F. is a jeweler in De Kalb, John F. is a dealer in fruits and vegetables at Galveston, Texas. George O. was born next in order. Abi died Feb. 2, 1858, aged 21 months. In 1864 the family settled in Fulton, Whiteside Co., Ill., and resided there about two years, going thence to Ogle Co., Ill., where they lived until the spring of 1871. At that date the father bought 50 acres of land in Cortland Township, De Kalb County, of which he retained possession 10 years. In 1882 he sold the farm and the parents removed to Sycamore. Mr. Warren began the acquisition of the details of his profession when he was 18 years of age, at Buda, Ill., continuing there about a year, when he came to Sycamore and entered the jewelry establishment of his brother, Michael F., and operated under his supervision until the fall of 1874, when, associated with his brother-in-law, J. E. Southworth, he opened a jewelry store in a part of the building now occupied by Ellwood & Sivwright. Mr. Southworth became sole proprietor of the business nearly two years later, and Mr. Warren purchased another stock of goods and founded a business in the same line, which he conducted about eight years. March 20, 1884, he and his present partner, C. C. Pond, consolidated their stocks and have since conducted a joint business, which they are mar aging with success and satisfaction to the public. They trade in watches, clocks jewelry, table and pocket cutlery, optical goods and musical instruments. Mr. Warren is a member of the order of Modern Woodmen of America. His wife was formerly Jennie C. Smith, to whom he was married Jan. 13, 1875. She was born March 6, 1854, near Detroit, and is the adopted daughter of Spafford and Eliza Smith, of Sycamore. One son, Spafford S., has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Warren. They are members of the Baptist Church. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CAPTAIN HENRY C. WHITTEMORE
Captain Henry C. Whittemore, senior member of the firm of Whittemore, Chamberlain & Co., dealers in hardware, stoves, agricultural implements, wagons and carriages at Sycamore, was born Oct. 31, 1841, at Auburn, N.Y. He was seven years of age when his parents, Lorenzo and Hannah (Kelsey) Whittemore, removed their family to Sycamore. His father was born March 11, 1807, in Leicester, Mass., and is still a resident of Sycamore, where he operated as a mechanic nearly a quarter of a century. The Captain's mother was born Dec. 25, 1805, in Ulster Co., N. Y., and died in March, 1879. They had two children. Floyd K., the younger, is a banker in Springfield, Ill.. Captain Whittemore passed his boyhood and youth in the acquisition of his education, and about the age of 18 years secured the position of Deputy Circuit Clerk, in which he was occupied until the era of 186r, which tried the mettle of every man and boy within the Federal Union. The stuff of which Captain Whittemore is made was proven early in that memorable year by his enlistment as a private soldier in Company G, Second Illinois Light Artillery. He was transferred, a few weeks later, to Company H, which was detailed for service in the Ordnance Department of the Army of the Tennessee, the office being established at Cairo, during the winter of 1861-2, and also at Columbus, Ky. In the spring of 1863 the command was transferred to the Army of the Cumberland. In December, r86r, young Whittemore was made Lieutenant, and he held that rank until July, 1863, when he was commissioned Captain of Battery H. He performed the duties of the position until February, 1865, when he was detailed as Assistant Adjutant General on the staff of Gen. L. H. Rousseau, and served until the termination of the war. Captain Whittemore was mustered out of the military service of the United States July 29, 1865, and entered the postal service of the Government, operating in South Carolina. In the spring of 1867 he returned to Sycamore, and embarked in the business of tanning, in which he was interested about two years; at the expiration of that time turning his attention to insurance, and later, entering the office of the County Clerk as a Deputy. In 1873 he formed a partnership with John B. Harkness and his brother F. K. Whittemore, and founded the business in which he has since operated. The members of the present firm are Captain Whittemore, W. G. Chamberlain and A. W. Brower. Their trade and business relations in their line of traffic is the leading one in the county, their invested capital being about $15,000. Captain Whittemore is a member of the Masonic fraternity and belongs to Lodge No. 134, at Sycamore. He is a Republican in political convictions, and has served his township several years as Supervisor. In the fall of 1884 he was elected to the State Legislature, receiving a gratifying majority of 2,400 votes. His marriage to Amelia E. Martin occurred at Sycamore, March 14, 1864. Mrs. Whittemore was born April 19, 1841, in the place where she has always lived, and she is the daughter of Harry and Jane Martin. Four of five children born to Captain and Mrs. Whittemore are living. They were born as follows: Charles F., Aug. 24, 1865, died Oct. 20, 1871; Mary, Sept. 20, 1867; Harry, Sept. 25, 1869; Cora, Jan. 19, 1872; Floyd, Dec. 8, 1874. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
David Wood, deceased, formerly a farmer on the south half of section 1, Cortland Township, was born April 21, 1808, probably in Connecticut. His parents were John and Phebe (Bradford) Wood, both of whom died in Union Co., Ohio. His father was a farmer.
The subject of this sketch spent his early life in Union Co., Ohio, and emigrated thence to the place in this county where his widow now lives, and where he died, March 24, 1861; he was buried in Ohio Grove Cemetery. Having been brought up on a farm and received a common-school education, he continued working his father’s farm on shares for a time, and in September, 1835, in company with George Gandy and four or five others, came to this county. He made a claim on section 1, township 40 north, of range 5 east, now known as Cortland; he erected a log house and lived here until 1841, when he returned to Ohio, where he was married. He returned to this county in the fall of 1843, at which time the land came into market, and he entered it. In 1855 he built a frame residence, which his family is still occupying.
Once in early day, he went to St. Charles with an ox team to get provisions, and on his return his team gave out. He remained over night under an oak tree, but could get no sleep, as he had to stir around continually to keep from freezing. He had some beef with him in the wagon, and the wolves were near by, howling around, all night. The next morning he had to break the ice to get his team over.
He was married Oct. 27, 1842, in Union Co., Ohio, to Miss Ruth Gary, daughter of Ephraim and Matilda (Gandy) Cary, both of whom died in that county, the former Dec. 12, 1878, and the latter July 21, 1855. Mr. Cary, a farmer, was born April 9, 1790, in Pennsylvania, and Mrs. C. Dec. 15, 1801. Mrs. Wood was born Sept. 24, 1825, in Madison Co., Ohio, and was two years old when her parents moved with her to Marvin Township, Union County, where she lived until her marriage. In her younger days she attained great skill in the art of spinning,— flax in winter and wool in summer. Would often do two day's work in one, without becoming very tired. Indeed, she followed this business more than ordinary house-work.
Of her seven children, only one is deceased. The names of all and dates of birth are as follows: John, Jan. 9, 1844; Matilda J., Dec. 5, 1845; Phebe, April 21, 1848; Mary A., March 25, 1850, and died Dec. 23, 1880; Elizabeth, May 14, 1852; Rhoda, Nov. 3, 1854; and Malinda E., May 1, 1859. Mrs. W. is a member of the Church of the United Brethren, as was also her husband, and in his political views he was a Republican. The landed estate now comprises 134 acres. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
CHESTER P. WOOD
Chester P. Wood, Sheriff of De Kalb County, resident at Sycamore, was born March 27, 1839, in Erie, Pa. His parents, George L. and Margaret (Conrad) Wood, belonged to the agricultural class. The former was born in the city of Hartford, Conn., and died on his farm in the township of Kingston, De Kalb County, Jan. 23, 1864. The mother of Lester P. was born in Erie Pa., and died on the homestead Aug. 2, 1880. Of their children, Elizabeth and Roxy, the oldest in date of birth, are deceased; Abigail E. married John D. Dyer, marketman at Sycamore; George E. is a resident of Laporte, Ind., and is in the United States mail service; and Jane M. is deceased. Mr. Wood is the oldest son and third child. He was reared on his father’s farm, where he was instructed in agricultural labor during the farming seasons and attended school winters. He passed his boyhood and youth in this manner until he was 19 years of age, when he went to the seminary at Wheaton, DuPage Co., Ill., and completed his education. On coming of age he became proprietary owner of 360 acres of valuable land in the township of Spring, Boone Co., Ill., twelve miles north of Sycamore, of which he took possession in 1860 and continued its management until 1874. In that year he sold the property and returned to Erie, where he maintained his residence two years, and was occupied in the purchase and shipment of stock from Chicago to Eastern markets. He pursued the same line of business until the fall of 1879, coming at that time to Sycamore. After a residence of a single year he secured, in the autumn of 1880, the election of Sheriff of De Kalb County on the Republican ticket, and in 1882 was re-elected without opposition to the same incumbency. The quality of the services rendered to the interests of De Kalb County by Mr. Wood are attested by his re-election, a procedure which reflects much credit on his supporters, and proves that the voting community of De Kalb County are not delinquent in the matter of recognizing and rewarding efficiency and merit. Mr. Wood belongs to the Order of Knights Templars and other Masonic bodies. His marriage to Ellen C. Zimmerman occurred Aug. 28, 1858, at Erie, Pa. Mrs. Wood is the daughter of Frederick Zimmerman, and was born Oct. 6, 1842, at Erie. The three children born of this union are as follows: Jane M. was born Aug. 18, 1860, and is the wife of W. F. Sell, marketman of Sycamore. Addie Z. is the second child; George F., only son and youngest child, is Deputy Sheriff under his father. The children were born in Spring Township, Boone County. [Portrait and biographical album of DeKalb County, Illinois, 1885]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails