Illinois Genealogy Trails
Douglas County, Illinois
Make sure to also view the biographies from the Douglas County history books
WILLIAM H. BECKMAN is a member of a Chicago law firm whose name commands instant respect in the profession of the state, Beckman, Todd, Hough & Woods, at 134 North LaSalle Street. His law practice has been only one of many activities which have taken up Mr. Beckman's busy years.
He is a native of Illinois, born on a farm in Douglas County, May 15, 1872, son of William and Rebecca Elizabeth (Stoughton) Beckman. His mother was a native of Pennsylvania, while his father, born in Germany, was brought to America when a boy. William Beckman was a Union soldier in the Civil war, a member of Company K of the One Hundred and Ninety-first Pennsylvania Regiment. His discharge papers have been carefully preserved by his son, who has them framed and hanging in his office. William Beckman moved to Illinois in 1867 and spent the rest of his active life as a farmer.
William H. Beckman made good use of the opportunities of a liberal education. He attended the University of Illinois, was graduated from the Kent College of Law at Chicago in 1897, and for the past thirty-four years has been enrolled in the Chicago bar, and since 1916 has been senior member of his present firm.
Mr. Beckman has an interesting record of military experience. During the Spanish-American war he went to Cuba as a private in the First Infantry, Illinois National Guard. Twenty years later, when America entered the World war, he organized the Fourth Regiment of the Illinois Reserve Militia and was its colonel four years. It was at the suggestion of Governor Lowden that he undertook the formation of this auxiliary organization in addition to the requirements made by the National Government at that time. During the war he was also chairman of the draft board of the Fifty-first District, and in this position he put in some of the most exacting work of all his military experience.
Mr. Beckman served as a member of the Illinois Constitutional Convention of 1920. For several years he was attorney for the Lincoln Park Board. He is a member of the Chicago and Illinois State Bar Associations, is president of the Illinois golf Club, a former president of the Illinois Athletic Club, member of the Westmoreland golf Club, Illinois Athletic Club, Medinah Athletic Club. in masonry he has attained the 33rd supreme honorary degree in the Scottish Rite. He is a past master of Blaney Lodge No. 271, A.F. and A.M., and a member of all the other bodies of the York and Scottish Rite, including the Shrine. Mr. Beckman is a director of the Citizens State Bank of Chicago and the Commercial State Bank.
He married Miss Adeline M. LeRoy , of Syracuse, New York. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
Scott Burgett, the proprietor of the Newman Bank and one of the successful financiers and business men of illinois was born in Bushy Fork, this county,, September 14, 1857, and is a son of the late I. W. Burgett, whose sketch is found upon another page of this book. During the summer months Scott Burgett worked upon his father's farm and in winter attended the district school. When about seventeen years of age he entered Lee's Academy at Loxa, Illinois, and after leaving that institution went to the state normal at Normal, Illinois, where he completed his education. After returning home he taught three terms of school in the Coffey district, in Sargent township, and much of his success as a teacher he claims he owes to his life-long friend, W. H. Coffey. In March, 1879 he entered the large dry-goods house of James Gillogly in Newman as bookkeeper and head salesman, with whom he remained until 1884, when he, with I. N. Covert, established the Newman Bank. Mr. Covert retired from actives business in 1888 and succeeded to the presidency by S. M. Long, who remained president until his death. From that time, August 20, 1898, to the present, it has been the private property of Mr. Burgett. In the bank's management he is assisted by J. W. King and George Moore.
September 2, 1878, we was married to Miss Alice V. Hopkins daughter of the late James Hopkins, who was one of the prominent pioneers of Douglas county. they have six children, five of whom are living: Jay T., Bessie M., Eva O., Paul H., and Charles C., and James is deceased.
Scott Burgett's business ventures have been thoroughly successful and he has the absolute confidence of the entire public. He owns some of the fine lands in both Newman and Sargent townships, and his real estate holdings in Newman are large. He is treasurer of the Newman building & Loan Association, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, is a Royal Arch Mason and is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias. At present he is erecting what will be the finest residence in Newman, costing some six or eight thousand dollars. Quiet and unassuming in his manners, he treats all alike, the poor man as he does his rich neighbors, and counts his acquaintances as his friends, In all the relations of life he has been true to his duty as he has seen it, and in business and in society a well-deserved success has come to him as a reward of earnest industry and his upright dealings with his fellow man.
[Source: BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL-Douglas Co., IL - Submitted by Source #44]
John B. Merrell
Charles W. Croudson
A traveler through the farming lands of Moultrie County will be pleased to observe the large number of well-improved farms and the numerous evidences of prosperity. In East Nelson Township an estate of eighty acres, which is admirably adapted for both farming and stock-raising, is owned and operated by the young gentleman above names. A visitor here will see everything that is necessary in the way of farm buildings, machinery and all the modern appliances of agriculture. During his residence here Mr. Croudson has effected many improvements upon the farm and by a proper rotation of crops has brought the soil to a high degree of fertility, so that it is fittingly classed among the best farms of the township. A view of this place appears on another page. Douglas County, Ill., was the native place of Mr. Croudson and his eves first opened to the light July 28, 1862. He was the only son in the family circle and has two sisters, Sarah M., now the wife of J. W. Bailey, and Lida J., who is still at home. The parents, William and Lucinda (Lawrence) Croudson, were natives of England and Ohio, respectively, and passed the greater part of their lives in Douglas County, this State, where they both died. They were people of steady habits and high principles, doing as they would be done by in the various relations they sustained toward others, and the record of their lives is unblemished and worthy of emulation.
The education of our subject was gleaned from the schools in the vicinity of the parental home, and his youth was passed in mingled work and play, his study developing the powers of his mind, while his recreation and boyhood sports developed a stalwart physique. Having been reared to farming pursuits, when the time came for him to chose a calling in life, he naturally selected agriculture and in his chosen a vocation he has been more than ordinarily successful. Although still quite young he is very comfortably situated and the future undoubtedly contains many honors for him. He takes an active part in political affairs and is a Democrat in his views, believing the principles of that party are best calculated for the national welfare. He is greatly interested in educational affairs and has held the office of School Director, during which time he materially advanced the cause of education in the community.
A very important event in the life of our subject was his marriage February 14, 1886, in Moultrie County, Ill., to Miss Margaret, the daughter of William and Sarah Wiley. Mrs. Croudson was born in this county, where she has passed her entire life and where her parents still reside. She has a cultivated mind, a sympathizing heart and adds thereto the housewifely knowledge which is necessary for all who make their homes attractive and comfortable. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Croudson one child has been born, a daughter, Osa, whose birth occurred March 22, 1890. As a farmer, Mr. Croudson is enterprising and industrious, well informed regarding things connected with his work and ranks high among his fellow-citizens.
[Source: ""Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Dr. Arthur A. Deardruff
The first medical practice in Monument, Lea County, New Mexico, was established by Dr. Arthur A. Deardruff about 1901. Deardruff, a native of Tuscola, Ill., only 23 at the time, lived at the Hat Ranch headquarters, ministered to the cow-hands and the increasing number of settlers. He had graduated from St. Louis University in 1899 and while practicing medicine in Bloomfield, Ill, was stricken with TB. Following the advice given to most TB patients in that era, he came west, settling in Carlsbad, New Mexico in November 1901.
With the change in climate, he showed immediate improvement and decided to renew his practice in the Llano's first community where he remained until 1907.
[Source: "New Mexico's Last Frontier", by Gil Hinshaw; Submitted by Erny Long]
Among the German-American citizens who have contributed so largely to the development of Moultrie County and have been so prominently connected with its progress, conspicuous mention belongs to Mr. Erhardt who owns and operates a fine farm on section 10, Lowe Township. A worthy representative of the class of farmers upon whom the prosperity of the world depends, he is pursuing his chosen avocation with energy and skill. In every movement that is likely to advance the material or moral welfare of the citizens, he is ever ready to bear what part he can, and he and his estimable wife are ever to be relied on when there is need of neighborly service or friendly advice.
Mr. Erhardt is the son of the late George Erhardt, a native of Germany, who was married in his native land to Barbara Erhardt, who was of the same name but no relative. In 1854 the parents emigrated to America and directly after landing came to St. Louis, Mo., whence, after a residence of one year, they removed to Sangamon County, Ill. Several years afterward they came to Douglas County, where the father died in 1872. The mother survived him many years and passed from earth in Moultrie County in 1886. Our subject, who was the youngest among five children, was born in Germany, November 28, 1850. He was only about four years old when he was brought by his parents to this country, of which he has ever since been a resident.
After passing the early years of his life in Sangamon County, Ill., and gaining the rudiments of an education in its district schools, Mr. Erhardt accompanied his parents to Douglas County. There he was married June 11, 1874, to Miss Catherine E. Hoover, daughter of Benjamin and Nancy Hoover. Mr. Hoover resides in Arthur, Ill. He and his wife were the parents of nine children, Mrs. Erhardt being the third, and she was born in Pennsylvania December 26, 1851. After their marriage our subject and his wife located in Douglas County where they lived until 1881. Upon coming to Moultrie County in 1881 Mr. Erhardt located on section 10, Lowe Township, where he now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land. Having followed farming pursuits from his youth he has acquired a thorough practical knowledge of all its departments and has become known as one of the most enterprising successful farmers of the vicinity. He is a firm believer in the principles of the Democratic party and supports its candidates with his ballot and influence. He has held the offices of Highway Commissioner and School Director and has done efficient service for the public in both capacities. He and his wife are both active members of the Christian Church, in which he has held the office of Elder. They are the parents of four children, Benjamin, George, Freddie and Alfred. George and Alfred are deceased. The surviving children are receiving excellent educations and bid fair to hold responsible positions in life.
[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
David M Gates
David M Gates - and Mahala B. Armstrong were married in Patriot, Gallia county, in April, 1842. They have had thirteen children: Jerusha A., born April 27, 1843, resides in Douglas county, Illinois; Mary E., May 5, 1845, died November 2, 1872; James R., June 27, 1846, resides in Douglas county, Illinois; Minerva C., February 3, 1848, lives in Walnut township; Joseph P., July 10, 1849, lives in Champaign county, Illinois; Stephen, January 27, 1851, resides in Champaign county, Illinois; Albert V., December 1, 1853; John M., January 29, 1856, resides in this township; Howard M., March 22, 1858, lives in Champaign county, Illinois; Irene C., April 2, 1860, at home; Alice L., April 1, 1861, resides in this township; Franklin S., February 14, 1863, at home; Anna B. B., June 2, 1865, at home. Mr. Gates was born in Perry township, Gallia county, Ohio, December 8, 1816. Mr. Gates was born in Perry township, Gallia county, Ohio, December 8, 1816. He is a son of Stephen and Jerusha (Perry) Gates, who settled here at an early date. His wife was born in Walnut township, Gallia county, June 7, 1822, and was the daughter of Loudon and Berthsheba (Ray) Armstrong, who also came to this county at an early date. Mrs. Gates died September 2, 1872. Mr. Gates' son, James R., served in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the late war, for one year, and was discharged honorably. Mr. Gates has held the office of trustee and land appraiser. His business is farming and stock-raising. Address, Patriot, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
A. J. Hudson
A. J. Hudson, one of Galesburg's (KS) merchants, and a pioneer in her rural development came to Neosho county in 1875. He entered land in section 31, township 30, range 19, and this farm he left to become a resident of and engage in business in Galesburg. He was reared in the west and was, consequently, inured to life near the frontier, for Illinois, his birth state, was counted "away out" in the first half of the Nineteenth century. Edgar county, Illinois, gave him birth, May 23, 1844, and he was there continuously till his advent to Kansas. He was a son of William W. Hudson, a Tennesseean whose birth occurred near Knoxville in 1820. Back of and beyond this ancestor no records have been preserved of the doings or personnel of the family, a fact which is to be regretted in view of the value of such geneological facts. William W. Hudson left Tennessee and settled in Illinois early in the history of that state. His occupation was farming and he aided in the general farm improvement in Douglas county. In April, 1862, he enlisted in the Union army and served with the Sixty-second Illinois till November of the following year, as hospital steward. In 1875 he came to Kansas with his son and died in Neosho county, January 4, 1887. His wife was nee, Martha Allen, a daughter of John Allen whose original home was in North Carolina. The following children were the issue of the marriage of William W. and Martha Hudson. Delilah, wife of George H. Mason, of Douglas county, Illinois; Andrew J., of this review; Mary, wife of William Shaw, of Neosho county, Kansas; Nancy, who married Samuel Sharp, of the same county; John W., of Parsons, Kansas; Caroline, wife of Paulis Esley, of Labette county, Kansas; James B., of Pueblo, Colorado; Eliza, now Mrs. John Kruse, of Neosho county, and Plumy C., wife of Thomas Andrews, of the same county.
The life of A. J. Hudson was one continued round of farm work till he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Galesburg. In his beyhood [sic] the school house of the frontier was the educational mecca and it often furnished little more than sufficient to prevent illiteracy. By dint of a measure of personal application he acquired reading, writing and ciphering in a limited degree by the time he reached his 'teens and soon thereafter he called it finished and became one of he steadys on the farm. October 11, 1866, he was married to Miss Victoria, a daughter of Cornelius Sharp and Nancy (Bush) Sharp, all of those ten children survive but one. They are Wilbur, of Douglas county, Illinois; Frank, deceased; Samuel, of Neosho county, Kansas; John, of Douglas county, Illinois; Elnora and Victoria, twins, the former now Mrs. Daniel Rush of Douglas county, Illinois, and the latter Mrs. Hudson; Sarah, wife of Thomas Reeder, of Douglas county, Illinois; Susan, who became the widow of Casper Bollinger, of Neosho county, and Martha, wife of Nathan Smock, of the old Illinois home.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hudson are Martha, wife of William Harris, of Neosho county, Kansas; Wesley N. Hudson, of Galesburg; Wilbur, a twin of William, resides in Neosho county; Rosa, who married Frank Maher, resides in Parsons, Kansas; Sadie, wife of Florence Cain, of Indian Territory; Grace, James, Raymond and Edith. So far as the political history of this branch of the Hudson family is known it has been persistently and always Democratic. The kind of Democracy to which they adhere is best indicated by the initial letters of our subject's name, a type to be revered for the memory of the patriot who enunciated its foundation principles. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
Abram Jones, father of William W. and Owen E., was one of the early settler of what is now Douglas county. He came in the fall of 1853 and located on a farm southeast of Tuscola, where he resided with his cousin, Owen Jones, until his marriage in 1855. He married Miss Elizabeth Eagler, of Machsburg, Ohio. In 1857 he became a tenant farmer in what was then called Coles county, and in 1863 moved to what is now known as Murdock township, Douglas County, IL, when he has lived since and become the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of land, which he has only recently sold and retired from active business. " [Excerpt taken from "The Heritage Collection. Biography and History from Unigraphic" by John Gresham" - Submitted by Source #44]
Read the biography from the 1880 History of Douglas County
Sarah Johnson Kincaid
Sarah Johnson Kincaid was the widow of Alpheus M. Kincaid. She came to "Knawbone" north east of Paris, Edgar County, Illinois, in 1872 and purchased 120 acres of land in Young America Township. Her husband had died in 1867 and is buried in Hoult Cemetery. She raised six children:Nathan Hartley Kincaid who married Susan Roe; John Barney Kincaid who married Esther Walters; James Asbery Kincaid who married Caroline Anderson; Francis Marion Kincaid who married Sarah Lilus Thomas; Twin Simpson Marshall Kincaid who married Belle Stevens; Harriet Jane Kincaid who married Issac Lyons. The farm Sarah bought in 1872 is now owned and farmed by her grandson and great-grandchildren. Read OBIT
[Prairie Progress- History of Edgar Co., Illinois 1880-1975, Submitted by Mildred M. Kincaid ]
MRS. LILLA M. LEE - "Mrs. Lilla M. Lee, a life-long teacher of Oklahoma children, left Texas in February 1904 with her family of five children to settle on a homestead of 160 acres about three miles east of Gage. (Oklahoma) Mrs. Lee was the widow of Wm. Thomas Lee, a southern educator. Following his death she had been persuaded to come to Oklahoma by two of her brothers who had preceded her to Ellis County; Leonard Gibbs, then manager of the local lumber yard, and Oliver L. Gibbs. She had arranged for a house to be built on the land and went directly there with her family her family when she arrived by train one cold February morning. Unfamiliar with Oklahoma winds, she later regretted that the site chosen for the house had been built atop a hill! Her children, ranging in age from fourteen years to an infant of six months, were Mamie, Daisy, Will, Aubrey and Maybelle. The house, painted white with a green roof, had several rooms downstairs and a large, unfinished attic. A well had been dug and a pump installed. Mrs. Lee supervised the planting of garden and crops on such land as had been "broken" for cultivation. Much of the land was virgin soil untouched by plow and the smaller children remembered playing in grassy depressions known as "buffalo wallows."
In September 1904 Mrs. Lee began a teaching career in the elementary schools of Ellis County which was to continue uninterruptedly until 1914 when she was elected County Superintendent of Schools. As customary, she conducted a "Teachers' Institute" in Arnett that summer. Her two oldest daughters, Mamie and Daisy Lee, who had been sent back to Mississippi State College, at Columbus, returned to Oklahoma and attended this "Institute". Daisy Lee remained in Oklahoma to teach a school near Grand and the following summer married William A. Snowden, a pioneer settler who spent his entire life in Ellis County. She died at an early age and is buried with her husband in a cemetery near Shattuck. William Snowden had antecedents in Maryland.
Mrs. Lee moved to Arnett to serve as County Superintendent of Schools. She had fulfilled the homestead requirements in 1910 and held title to the land which was planted on shares, chiefly in wheat. Her son, Will had been the first graduate of Gage High School, the only one in the class. Aubrey Lee had been sent to stay with an aunt and attend Kansas State Agricultural College. Mamie Lee taught for one year in the Arnett School, then married Frank E. Ransdell, an early settler, who had served two terms as County Attorney of Ellis County. In 1918 he was appointed to the U. S. Attorney's office in Oklahoma City where they lived until her death in 1921. Frank E. Ransdell, a native Missiourian, had studied law at the University of Missouri and practiced law at Independence, Missouri before going to Oklahoma. Following his wife's death he practiced law in the Osage Nation until his retirement. He is buried beside his wife in Oklahoma City.
Mrs. Lee was reelected in 1916 and continued to live in Arnett until the expiration of her term. She visited rural schools many miles apart, over country roads, to encourage teachers and pupils. At the outbreak of World War I in 1917 she was appointed Women's County Chairman and member of Ellis County Council of Defense by Governor Robert L. Williams. Both sons had enlisted and were serving overseas. Will H. Lee served with the famed Second Regiment, U.S. Marines; was awarded the Navy Cross and French Croix de Guerre for valor at Belleau Woods. He had attended the University of Oklahoma, later received a L1.B. from National Law School. A career officer in USMC, he retired with rank of Colonel following World War II, where he served in the South Pacific. He resided in Washington, D.C. until his death in 1956 when he was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors. He is survived by one daughter, Jean Lee Keating, wife of Major James J. Keating, USAF, and two grandchildren.
Aubrey M. Lee, in Army Medical Corps, was wounded in France. Returning to college he was graduated from Kansas State Agricultural College, degree of D.V.M.; later received an M.S. from Ohio State University. From college he went to the faculty of University of Wyoming where he later became Professor of Veterinary Medicine and Director of University Experiment Station. In 1954, serving as specialist in United States Department of Agriculture in Washington, he was presented the Department's "Superior Service Award" by Secretary of Agriculture, Ezra Taft Benson, at an outdoor ceremony at Washington Monument. The citation was given for his work "For coordinating an important, difficult research project, resulting in solving the problem of X-disease, or hyperkeratosis of cattle, a disease of great economic importance, thereby saving millions of dollars annually". In 1960 he was named "Man of the Year" by KSAC for distinguished service in the field of Veterinary Medicine and returned there to be honored at special services. He is the author of many scientific publications, a 32nd Degree Mason. He retired in 1965 and resides with his wife in Bowie, Maryland. He has one daughter, Dorothy Lee Sawyer, wife of Dr. Thomas K. Sawyer of Easton, Maryland, and three grandchildren.
Both of Mrs. Lee's sons received grade school and high school education in the Gage public school. Maybelle Lee, youngest child, attended Arnett High School, was graduated from the University of Wyoming, and is the wife of Winfield F. Wagner, and Attorney, in Washington, D.C. One daughter, Janet Lee Wagner, resides in Washington, D.C. At the expiration of her term as County Superintendent of Schools, with her family reared, Mrs. Lee left Ellis County and went to teach in the Osage Nation. Here she continued her patient, unswerving dedication to the teaching of Oklahoma children until 1931 when she retired. She spent the last two years of her life in Washington, D.C. near her children. Returning to Oklahoma City in 1933, she remained there until her death in 1934. She is buried there in the State she loved. Mrs. Lee was born in 1866. She came from a family that had played its part in the settlement of the country; granddaughter of a pioneer Tennessee Judge, and direct descendent of a revolutionary patriot." By Maybelle Lee Wagner 1974, Ellis County, Oklahoma
"This is an article written about my great grandmother, Lilla (Lilly) Gibbs Lee. She married William Thomas Lee in Montgomery County, Texas." (Source #10)
ROY ALFRED PALMER, D.O., is one of the successful exponents of the benignant science of osteopathy in his native state of Illinois, where he is established int he practice of this profession in the City of Tuscola, judicial center of Douglas County, his well appointed offices being in Suite 211-12 of the First National bank Building, and his residence at 211 East Daggy Street.
Doctor Palmer was born near Bement, Piatt County, Illinois, August 22, 1900, and is a son of James L. and Theresa Mae (Young) Palmer, who still reside on their fine farm estate in that vicinity, both having been born and reared in Illinois. reared on the home farm, Doctor Palmer depended on the nieghboring district school for his preliminary education, and thereafter he continued his studies in the Bement public schools until he was there graduated from the high school, as a member of the class of 1919. In the autumn of the following year he went to Kirksville, Missouri, and there entered the American School of Osteopahty, in which institution he completed the prescribed and carefully ordered curriculum of study and practical demonstation and in which he was graduated in June, 1924. On the 1st of the following September he initiated the practice of his profession in Tuscola and his technical skill as combined with his personal popularity has resulted in his development of a substantial and representative practice within the intervening years. He is identified with various organized bodies of his professional confreres, having been trustee in the Fifth District of hte Illinois Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons. His political allegiance is given to the Republican Party, he and his wife have membership int he Methodist Episcopal Church in their home city, he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, he is a vital and loyal member of hte local Rotary Club, of which he was secretary two years, he having then been elected its president for hte year 1931, and he is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
January 10, 1926, recorded the marriage of Doctor Palmer to Miss Anna Belle Smith, daughter of John P. and E. Margretha (Thompson) Smith, both likewise natives of Illinois, where Mr. Smith was long and successfully engaged in farm enterprise and where he is now living retired in TUscola, his wife having passed to eternal rest of the 14th of July, 1927. Doctor and Mrs. Palmer have a fine little son, James Duane, who was born July 26, 1929, and a winsome daughter, Marilyn Margaret, born July 19, 1932. Doctor and Mrs. Palmer are popular factors in the church, social and cultural life of their home community. Return to the Cook County Main Index Page
One of the well-known farmers residing on section 11, Lowe Township, Moultrie County, is a son of James and Sarah Taylor. The father is still living, but the mother passed away some time since in Douglas County, this State. They had a family of eleven children, of whom our subject was the eldest, and he was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., May 2, 1842.Our subject was eight years old when his parents came to Illinois and settled in Douglas County, where this son was reared to manhood and received his education and training upon the farm and in the district school. He remained under the parental roof until he reached the period of manhood and was married in Moultrie County, March 4, 1864, his bride being Mary J. Nelson, a native of Virginia. After living upon his father's farm for a few years he removed with his wife to Texas, but not being satisfied with life in that region, he remained there only about eighteen months.
Returning to Illinois, R. Taylor settled on the tract of land where he now resides - a fine farm, well improved and comprising some eighty acres. Six children have been granted to this worthy couple, three of whom died in infancy and the three who survive are James F. Norah and Harvey. The principles of the Democratic party embody the political views of Mr. Taylor, and he is interested in the progress of that party, although not an active politician. The office of School Director has been well filled by him, and while an incumbent of that position he did much to forward the educational interests of the township. Both he and his good wife are earnest and active members of the New Light Church, and he ever takes a prominent part in religious movements.
[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Andrew Anderson Thomas
Andrew Anderson Thomas born Nov 26, 1828 in Vermilion County, Indiana To Eli and Jane (Anderson) Thomas grew up in Newport, Indiana and married Hannah Jane Lemmon at Paris, Illinois on Jan 12, 1848. Hannah was born March 28, 1829 in Indiana, the daughter of Daniel and Martha Lemmon. They moved to New Jersey Township (now Camargo). They had six children: Mariah Jane, Dec 2, 1848;Lucinda Isabel, July 25, 1851; Joseph Alonzo, April 11, 1854; Ida Pelina Pauline, Nov 17, 1856; Daniel Marion, March 30, 1861; and Sarah Lillous, March 27, 1864.
Andrew was mustered into the Civil War on Feb 11, 1865, at Camp Butler, Illinois and discharged Jan 27, 1866, ill with tuberculosis. He died Aug 21, 1866. Hannah then married widower Benjamin Daniels November 1870 and they had one son, John Anderson Daniels, Sept 2, 1872. Hannah died June 17, 1874. Mariah Jane Married Samuel Smith, Sept 26, 1866. Lenora Belle, William A., Albert Franklin and Margaret Jane were born. Mariah died June 6, 1875. Lucinda married William Martin Slaughter, Dec 31, 1868. Samuel Joseph, Olive Alice, John Clayton, Anna Mae, Alpha Bell, Bert Lee Earl, Emma Ethel, James Elmer and Mamie Marie were born. Lucinda died Dec 13, 1913.
Joseph Alonzo married Milla Melcena Robinson Feb 11, 1877. Anna Jane and James Marion were born. Milla died in 1881. Joseph married Lydia Stevens Nov 22, 1885. Leona and Lillous Lucinda were born. Joseph died Feb 14, 1944.
Ida Pelina Pauline married Josephus "Seaf" Slaughter in 1873. Olive Jane, Angus, Agnes and Bertha were born. Ida died Oct 21, 1921. Daniel Marion married Leona Austin in 1886. Their son Paul was born in 1889. Daniel died June 5, 1945.
Sarah Lillous married Francis Marion Kincaid. Ovie, Ervin, and Floyd were born. Sarah died Aug 12, 1952.
["History of Douglas County, Villa Grove" - Submitted by Source #44]
THOMAS WHITE'S DEATH
One of the Well Known and Highly Respected Citizens of this Community
The death and funeral of Thomas White, a well known and prominent citizen of this community, a brief notice at which appeared in the last issue of this paper, deserves a more extensive account, that was given last week. Mr. White's death occurred quite sudden, as he was in the city on Saturday, as previous to his death on Tuesday evening following, and a physician was not called until Monday evening, who found the patient suffering from an obstruction of the bowels which reached a stage beyond the reach of medicine: If indeed there had ever been a stage in which medicine would have availed, and the end came as has been stated, and an exemplary man and a true Christian, passed to his reward, leaving a vacancy not easily filled and that will be long felt, in the neighborhood, among those he had lived for nearly forty years, a blameless life.
Rev. Hamilton, his pastor, preached an instructive discourse, his subject being "The Christian's Home" the "House of Many Mansions" into which his deceased parishioner had been safely garnered.
The choir composed of S.N. Albin, Barney Atto, and Miss Rose Turbeyville and Mrs. Stella Stout, and Miss Opal Turbeyville presiding at the organ, rendered several pieces selected from those that were favorites of the deceased, in a pleasing and impressive manner. The floral offerings were abundant, beautiful, and appropriate. The interment was in the Albin cemetery. Following is the obituary prepared by D. O. Root, who had known the deceased ever since his removal to this county, 40 years ago.
"Thomas, son of Sampson K. White and Rhoda Richmond, his wife, was born near Waterford, Washington county, Ohio, Dec 15, 1829, and died after a brief illness at his home near Newman, Ill., August 8th, 1905; aged 75 years, seven months and twenty three days. In his young manhood, and previous to his marriage, Mr. White learned the tailoring trade at Gallipolis, Ohio, but did not follow this occupation regularly, having a preference for the farm.
On the 6th of November, 1857, at or near the town of Orange county of Coshocton, in his native state, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucy L. Higbee, who preceded him to the spirit world just 45 days ago. Of this union four sons and five daughters were born; two of whom, a son and a daughter died in infancy. The seven who survive the father, are Charles of the state of Washington; William, St. Louis, Mo; J. Richmond of this vicinity; Mary E. Boaz, Oklahoma; Laura Long, of Loogootee, Ill; Sybil Willis, and Miss Rhoda, of this vicinity:the latter of whom has remained all her life a member of the parental household assisting in the duties faithfully, and lovingly caring for the wants of the mother and father in their declining years and deaths. Bro. White, with his young family removed from Ohio to this-Douglas-County, IL ... in 1863, spending the first winter in the neighborhood of the Brushy Fork post office, coming in the spring following to the then small village of Newman, and the following year 1857, moving to the farm upon which he continued to reside until the Master called him from labor to reward, beyond the Jordan of death "where the wicked cease from trouble and the weary are at rest."
So Mr. White has gone in and out before the people of this community for nearly two score years and, they have had therefore ample opportunity of witnessing his daily walk and conversation and are prepared to place a time estimate upon his worth as a citizen, a neighbor and a professed Christian; and we are not in doubt as to what their judgment along these lines would be, were it expressed. Scrupulously honest himself in all his dealing and intercourse with his fellows he was not suspicious of wrong doing on the part of others, so he lived at peace with his neighbors, emphasizing the unquestioned fact that he had been with Christ and lead of him. Of him I can truthfully be said that there was no vulnerable spots visible in his Christian armor, his heart beating ever in unison with every movement for the betterment of society and the spread of Scriptural holiness and the influence of such a life as this running through all the years of his sojourn in this neighborhood must leave its impress for good, not only upon his surviving family, but also upon all who have come in touch with him either in a business or church relations.
Just when Brother White embraced the truths of the Gospel and entered into a newness of life is not known but it was evidently in his young manhood, for when he came to this state he brought a letter of membership from the U.B. church, and there being no society of that denomination convenient, he placed his letter with the M. E. church, at Newman transferring this membership to Wesley Chapel upon its completion, where it has since remained. He being one of its strongest pillars; faithful to all of his church obligations, a lover of the prayer and class meeting, which he rarely failed to attend when conditions permitted, nor was his seat vacant at public services of the church, when it could be avoided. Thus was his life symmetrical and true, which if emulated by his surviving brethren would revolutionize the churches and plane of Christian living.
Brother White had been in usual health, attending to the matters of the farm, as was his wont, until the Friday evening previous to his death on the following Tuesday evening at 8:30 o'clock when he complained of not feeling well. But on Saturday he was up and about, and even went to the city on business. On Sunday he was not feeling so well and remained indoors mostly. On Monday morning the physician was called and found the patient suffering from an obstruction of the bowls, which not yielding to medication, his conditions became critical, and death resulted as stated above. Brother White remained conscious and calm up to the last moment, saying that he was ready and willing to go when ever the Master called for him that death would end his sufferings and gave other expressions of trust and confidence in HIM whom he had so long been serving. Such a death can only come to such a life.
He leaves behind to mourn his departure besides those of his own immediate family already named, one sister residing at Newport, Ohio, and many other relatives and friends scattered here and elsewhere all of whom have the sympathy of our entire community."
Source: Newman Independent Newpaper
Submitted by (Source #44)
Henry C. Wood
It has been said that merit is the only distinction, and none will deny that those who have been industrious frugal and honest, are deserving of recognition by their fellow-men. These qualities have characterized Mr. Wood in his dealings with man-kind, his labor for personal advancement and his connection with social affairs. He has for many years been numbered among the influential farmers of Moultrie County, having a goodly tract of land on section 10, Lowe Township. He raises on his two hundred acres crops of various grains, equal in quality and quantity to any in the neighborhood, and has also erected good bars and commodious out-buildings for the storage of grain and shelter of stock. Mr. Wood is the son of Eli and Nancy (Moon) Wood, natives of North Carolina and Virginia respectively. Very early in life they came to Indiana, whence they removed to Illinois in 1847, locating in what is now Douglas County. They there remained until called hence by death. The father was an energetic and upright man, universally esteemed and respected. The parental family included five daughters and two sons, our subject being the sixth in order of birth. Knox County, Ind., was his birthplace and his natal day November 9, 1845. When he was one and a half years old he was brought to Illinois by his parents and grew to a vigorous manhood amid the pioneer scenes of Douglas County. When our subject was about fifteen years old he was bereaved by the death of his father, after which he made his home with an uncle, Martin Wood, for two years. He then worked out as a farm laborer for three years and gained a practical knowledge of the best way of carrying on a farm. He was less than twenty when he enlisted, April, 1865, in Company F, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry, and served until the close of the war. When peace was declared he returned to Illinois and once more resumed the pursuits of civil life. He first located in Piatt County and for one year worked out by the month, after which he engaged in agriculture on his own account in Moultrie County, of which he has since been a resident.
On October 20, 1866, in Piatt County, Ill., Henry C. Wood and Miss Ann Shultz were united in the holy bonds of wedlock. This lady, who was a native of Kentucky, died in Lowe Township, August 26, 1885. Their four children were named as follows: Ida M., now the wife of George H. Erhardt, Eva, Lucy B. and Robert W. Mr. Wood was again married, choosing as his wife Miss Martha A. Thurman, who was born in Pulaski County, Ky., August 15, 1845. The marriage was solemnized in Somerset, Ky., November 10, 1889, and has proved a congenial union. Mrs. Wood is a lady whose intelligence is universally recognized and whose hospitality and geniality are well known.
A man of unblemished reputation and sound understanding, Mr. Wood occupies a place in the community among the very best citizens. He is a member of the New Light Church, to which his first wife also belonged. His present wife is a member of the Baptist Church. In his political affiliations he is a Democrat and has served as School Director two terms. He has always followed agricultural pursuits and in his chosen a vocation has accumulated the means which enable him at the present time to surround himself and family with the comforts justly the reward of those who work industriously and studiously.
[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
William N. Wood
William N. Wood, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser residing on Section 17, Sullivan Township, Moultrie County, is a native of Hardin County, Ky., where he was born February 25, 1847. His parents, N. H. and Elizabeth (Lyon) Wood, were natives of Kentucky. They came to Illinois in 1852, bringing this son with them and located at Charlestown, Coles County, where they staid for two years, removing thence to Tuscola, Douglas County, where they remained until they passed from earth, the mother in January, 1855, and the father in January, 1865. The family is of English origin, although the grandparents of our subject were natives of Vermont, and became pioneers of Kentucky. Of their family our subject is the youngest of two sons and four daughters. The household in which Mr. Wood was reared, consisted of the following children: Martha R., who became the wife of W. L. Parker, a jeweler of Kansas City, Mo.; Mary died at the age of twenty-three, in March, 1863, in Tuscola; James Stratton married Susanna Thompson, of Douglas County, and now resides in Carlisle. Ark.; Sarah Jane is unmarried and resides at Lovington; William N., and Elizabeth E., wife of J. M. Durbrow, is living in Champaign County. He of whom we write attended the public schools near his home, and also took instruction at Lee's Academy in Stockton, Ill. He taught school for two years before engaging in farming in Douglas County, and was married March 14, 1875, to Miss Margaret C., daughter of Peter and Mary Evans, who was born in Licking County, Ohio, October 25, 1854.
Mrs. Wood is the youngest in a family of eight children, whose parents came to Illinois in 1856, and located in Moultrie County, where they both died, the father October 20, 1873, and the mother October 21, 1876. Of this family only two are living: Mrs. Wood, and Annie who became the wife of Felix Weaver, and resides at Adrian, Mo., her husband being engaged in the stock and commission business at Kansas City. The Evans family are of Welsh and German ancestry.
The farm where Mr. Wood now resides became residents of the family home in the fall of 1875. One hundred acres of this land came to his wife by inheritance, and to it he has added by purchase until he has a fine tract of two hundred and thirty-five acres, upon which may be seen a tasteful and attractive home and capacious and commodious farm buildings. Of their six children five are now living, their eldest daughter, Mary, who was born September l. 1876, being taken away March 1, 1878. Those who are living, are: Elizabeth, born October 12, 1877; Norman H., June 11, 1879; Charles, May 5, 1881; Homer Howard, October 13, 1883; Adeline, November 14, 1886. These children are all being thoroughly educated, but remain under the parental roof during their school days. Mr. Wood takes an interest in public affairs, and is a Democrat in politics, while his worthy wife espouses the principles of the Republican party. He has held various offices in his township, and is a member of the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association.
[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
BACK -- HOME