Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails

News of Accidents in Douglas County, IL

Between eight and nine o'clock a. m., on Monday last, a boy named Joseph
DAVIS, about ten years old, son of Joshua DAVIS, a carpenter residing at Chesterville, in this county, was drowned in the Okaw near that place. It seems that he and another boy, a son of Noah PAINTER, about the same age, got into a small boat, a kind of flat boat, propelled by a single paddle, just above the Midland R. R. Bridge, at that point, to take a ride. Soon after, the little boy, PAINTER, went running up to the village, frightened nearly out of his wits, and gave the information that his companion was drowned. The alarm spread, and soon the people gathered upon th ebanks, the stream being considerably swollen from the heavy Saturday night's rain, and the mournful task of searcing for the body began.

The boy, PAINTER, was so frightened that he could give no definite information as to how the dreadful accident occurred. It is generally believed the deceased fell out of the boat about the time it was passing under the railroad bridge, but just how is not known; possibly while endeavoring to use the paddle in the tolerably swift current. After searching for nearly an hour, wading about in the stream feeling with poles and sticks, an elder son of Noah PAINTER's stepped upon one of the boy's feet, and calling assistance, the body was brought to the surface, about fifty yards below the bridge where, just outside the current, it lay flat upon the bottom of the creek, the little hands clinging to a chunk of wood. He was buried in the Chesterville burying ground Tuesday. [The Arcola Record, unsure of date, possibly February 17, 1894]

Fires, Wednesday Morning
About 7 o'clock, John W.
BOYER's residence, on Daggy Street, a square and a half east of Main, in this city, was discovered afire in the roof. The neighbors promptly ran to his assistance and in a short time extinguished the flames. Most of the roof was burned off and the ceiling burned through in places. The flue is on the outside of the house, and doesn't project above the roof, and it is supposed that sparks from the flue were blown under the shingles and ignited them. The schoolhouse bell sounded the alarm to our citizens, but nobody but the immediate neighbors knew where the fire was until it was extinguished. Loss covered by insurance. Mr. BOYER returns his thanks to his neighbors for their timely and efficient assistance in saving the house and his goods from destruction. [The Saturday Journal, June 29, 1878]

VANDYKE's kitchen, in the extreme southeastern part of this city, on Tuesday morning also caught fire from a defective flue, but the fire was put out ere it did much damage. [The Saturday Journal, June 29, 1878]

Serious Runaway Accident - Last Saturday, while Douglas BAGLEY, son of Capt. BAGLEY of the mail service, was engaged in hauling wood for home fuel, the team became frightened and ran away with the young man, passing over several small stumps. At last the wagon ran astride of a large and solid stump, when the doubletree broke, releasing the horses, but the momentum of the wagon threw the young man from his perch on the wood to the ground in front of the wagon and about half a cord of wood fell on top of he unfortunate Douglas, burying him completely. He was soon assisted from his perilous position, more dead than alive, and Dr. BURTNETT was hastily summoned, who, after thorough examination, found no bones broken, but the patient was very severely bruised all over. If not complicated with bad internal injuries, he will recover. It was a narrow escape from instant death. [The Saturday Journal, November 16, 1878]

About 10 o'clock this (Friday) morning, Emma HANLEY, a 15 year old daughter of David HANLEY, a farmer residing two miles east of Newman, was dangeroudly burned. Her clothes took fire while she was washing near a fire that had been built out of doors for the purpose of heating water to do the washing. Dr. WAGNER was summoned, and imforms us that she is burned seriously, if not dangerously. [The Saturday Journal, November 16, 1878]
An accident occured at Thos. MIDWINTERS, by which Mr. MIDWINTER and Bruce LANDERS were injured. They were baling broom corn, and had a bale in press, and while at it's utmost tension something about the press gave way, the cap or top flew off striking each of them on the head. Young LANDERS was kocked senseless for several minutes, and received a cut or two in the head. Mr. MIDWINTER was also injured about the head, but not so severely as young LANDERS, who came to town in the afternoon, and had his wounds dressed by Dr. EASLEY  [The Saturday Journal, November 16, 1878]


Genealogy Trails