The first school in Franklin County was the "Mother-Child" class. The Bible was
their textbook. Later they had community gatherings and the best educated
person present would teach the parents and children. Girls were thought of as
needing very little education.
In early school days the pupils paid little attention to heat, lights, and seating
comfort. There was plenty of ventilation, because it came through the cracks of
the building. The log or pole cabins had clap board roof and a fire place at
one end. The seats or benches were split logs; pegs were driven into the round
sides for legs, and were arranged so the pupils faced the fireplace. The seats
were in four sizes; big girls, little girls, big boys, and little boys. The crude
blackboard was a square yard plank. If they had a box of crayons it must last
a year, but mostly they used a clay called "kale."
Schools were held in an old abandoned building, an old empty corn crib, or
any building that was avaliable.
The Bible continued to be the main reader for many years. The Old Blue Back
Speller was used and loved. Arithmetic was considered so important that
when a child completed the arithmetice book he could quit school, because he
considered himself educated or graduated as we speak of it.
When thet received there first United States map they considered themselves
"up to date." Grammer was considered as a necessary subject.
The pens were made of quills, and ink was made from small oak trees. Red
ink was made from poke berries. The pupils wrote on slates with homemade
pencils composed of soapstone.
" Chawing Wax " was obtained from a sweetgum tree nearby; this was the
childrens chewing gum.
The first subscription or paid school was in Cave Township in 1824. It was
taught by Sion Mitchell. The next one was in Mulkeytown in 1830, which was
taught by Mr. Cook.
The free school law was enforced and Franklin County was divided into
more than 100 districts. Each district had three directors, who hired the teachers.
In 1857 a law was passed which provided for an election of state and county
superintendents. Women were allowed to vote for these officers. Later, in 1920,
women were given the right to vote for any candidate.
With the passing of the free school law many problems were to be met, such
as taxes, new officers, and new buildings. Prior to this, the teacher "boarded
around." Later, he was paid a small salary by the district.
Discipline was often a problem of the early times. When the grown up boys
had finished there autumn harvesting, and had no books to read, no radio nor
television, they returned to school to pass the time.
An incident at Old Barren School about 127 years ago is an example of these
"grown ups." As was told, the teacher was told he would have to treat them
for Christmas. The teacher, a short, dark complexioned man, said, "No!" "No!"
When the teacher went out at recess, the boys locked the door and said "Treat!
Treat! Treat!" Mr. X kicked the door down and came into the schoolhouse. The
fightened girls screamed and the boys were still for once. Mr. X said, "I'm little,
but I'm just like a wasp!" All helped to repair the door; however, Mr. X nursed
a very blue toe for weeks. Mr. X became one of Bentons leading attorneys.
The consolidation of schools in Franklin County is a great improvement from
the former schools. There are 40 beautiful, modern school buildings. There are
128 high school teachers and 263 grade school teachers and two parochial
schools. The total enrollment is about 8,160 pupils in Franklin County schools.
The Benton Academy was the first school in Benton. It was a subscription
school, probably established in the early 1840's. The trustees built a two story
frame building for the Academy on East Church Street, but this school didnot
exist as long as expected. Later the lot was sold to the Benton School District
and the building was moved about a block east.
The first brick school building was built on the same site about 1870. This gray
building contained both grade and high school pupils. The first high school
graduating class was in the year 1888. This building later became known as the
In 1897 a new red brick building was built just south of the gray building.
Samuel T. Robinson was the first principal.
Mrs. Mary (East) Hart was probably the first primary teacher to teach in the
small frame building. Later it was moved across the alley to the west.
Miss Elliot conducted the first kindergarten school Benton. It was on East
Washington Street in the year 1880. This building was still standing in 1964.
Miss Kate Spani and Mrs. Dollie G. Dollins taught fifth, sixth, and seventh
grades in a vacated pool room on East Main Street in 1906.
In 1905 the Lincoln School was built a short distance east of the present Lincoln
Building. Both grade school and high school were taught there.
In 1909 the Benton Township High School was built. The 1910 class had six to
graduate. W. C. Cooke was the principal. The new addition was in 1920. There
were 30 to graduate. Ralph Jackson was the principal.
In 1950 the high school became the Benton Cosolidated High School. Herbert
Mundell was the principal in 1964.
The first high school yearbook was called "Egyptian Star," then the "Owl,"
then "Notneb" (Benton spelled backward), and then the "Scarab."
The Douglas School was built abut 1912. Lester Lingle was the first principal.
The Webster School was built in 1916-1917. Mrs.Cecile Payne was first principal.
The present Logan School was built in 1921. E. S. Dillon was first principal.
The Grant School was built in 1922. Miss Lena Phillips was the first principal.
The new Lincoln School was built in 1953. Miss Lena Phillips was first principal.
The new Washington School was built in 1953. Sherwood Pace was the first