History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with
Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious,
Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons
and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co.,
Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 908, Vermont Township
Robert Bogue, miller, was born in Harrison Co., O., in 1826; he
was 3 years of age when his parents emigrated with him to this county.
He worked in the saw-mill with his father and went to school in the
winter. His teachers were James Spicer (the first in the tp.) and J.
Frisbie. When of age he bought an interest in a saw-mill at Browning,
which was subsequently destroyed by fire. He also assisted in the
building of a grist-mill at Browning, and did a fine business from 1849
to 1868, in partnership with his cousin, John Bogue. Their flour had a
great reputation, finding its way to remote parts of the Union; but in
the manufacturing of wagon material they did not do so well. In 1874 he
oversaw the construction of a bridge 65 feet high and 1,000 feet long
over the Vermillion river at Danville, - one of the best bridges in the
State. He then rented the grist-mill at Browning a year, and then
returned to Vermont and took charge of the mill owned by Jesse Bouge.
In 1858 he married Mary A. Marshall. Mrs. Bogue died in October, 1864;
and in 1866 he married Martha J. Ramsay, daughter of Wm. Dunlap, and
they have had two children, Sarah and Mary.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Fulton County,
Illinois: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of
prominent and representative citizens of the county: together with
portraits and biographies of all the presidents of the United States,
and governors of the state; Biographical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL; 1890;
page 592–593; Transcribed by Margaret Rose Whitehurst
Robert Bogue, who operates the Harper & Marshall mill, is a
son of one of the early pioneers of this county. He is a
well-known and respected resident of Vermont, where he has made his
home for several years. He was born November 3, 1826, near
Freeport, Harrison County, Ohio.
Job Bogue was a native of North Carolina, where he was born
January 5, 1785. He was a son of Robert Bogue, who was born in
1705, it is thought, in Wales. He was a farmer by
occupation. He was three times married, and the father of our
subject was a son by the third marriage, and he was the youngest child
of the family, his father being eighty years old when he was
born. The latter died in 1788. He was a member of the
Society of Friends.
The father of our subject left his parental home when he was
very young and went to live with Burden Stanton, a Quaker, who resided
in Jones County, N. C. He remained with him until 1800, when he
was fifteen years old, and he then started out in the world for
himself, and made his way to that port of the Northwestern Territory
now known as Harrison County, Ohio, of which he was one of the earliest
settlers. He learned the trade of a shoemaker, which he followed
for a time, and the engaged in farming. In the all of 1829 he
started with a five-horse team, taking with him his wife and eight
children, and his sister and her three children, and his household
goods. He left Ohio, and started further westward. When he
arrived at the Black Swamp, in Indiana, he became stuck, and so passed
the winter there. He was very industrious, and after he was
settled he engaged in teaming, gathering corn, etc., and made money by
whatever means he could.
In the month of April, 1830, he again started on his westward
journey and drove to Fulton County, arriving at Lewistown May 3.
At that time the place was but a small hamlet, and was nearly all of
log houses. He remained with friends a few days, and on May 7
settled on Ipava prairie, of which he was the earliest pioneer.
He entered one hundred and sixty acres of prairie land from the
Government and went to Lewistown to get assistance to raise the log
house which he had erected there. At that time Indians still
lingered here, and deer, wild turkeys and all kinds of game were
plentiful. The Indians were frequent callers and were always
hungry. The first one who called at Mr. Bogue’s log dwelling was
alone, and had with him two deer, which he wanted to trade for salt,
and would give him his deer for a quart of that article. Mr.
Bogue, with characteristic hospitality, asked him in to supper, of
which he ate heartily, and watching his opportunity would occasionally
slip a slice of bread under his blanket. No railways or canals
were built in this part of the country for several years after Mr.
Bogue settled here, and when river traffic began the towns on the river
banks were the markets.
The father of our subject broke quite a tract of land and
planted an orchard, and continued to live on his first purchase until
1835, when he sold out and bought a tract of timber land in Vermont
Township. It had no improvements, and was a very lonely and
secluded spot, as there was not a house where Vermont now stands.
He built a substantial two-story hewed log house and later a frame
addition. He cleared quite a tract of land, and made his home
thereon until the death of his wife, when he went to reside with his
daughter, Mrs. Edith A. Marshall. He died in 1876 in his
ninety-second year. He had lived to see the country develop from
a wilderness to a well-settled and wealthy county, and did his share in
promoting its growth, and his name will ever be cherished among its
The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Mary A.
Easley. She was born in Virginia, and was a daughter of Daniel
Easley. Her death occurred on the old homestead in 1870.
She reared the following eleven children: Sarah, Elizabeth,
Daniel, Edith A., Jonathan, Joel H., Robert, Phoebe, Jesse, Stephen and
Robert Bogue, of whom we write, was but three years old when he
came to this county with his parents. He has grown up with the
county and remembers well the incidents of their crude life among the
pioneers. He attended the pioneer schools of the county,
including the first one ever taught in Vermont. The term of that
school commenced in December, 1836, and was taught in a hewed log house
of which the furniture was home-made. The finest bench in the
establishment was made of a hewed log, which was wider than the
rest. The remained of the benches were made of split poles.
There were not desks in front of the seats, but in the place thereof
was a plank on either side of the room, that was placed on wooden pins
which were inserted into holes in the wall, which served as writing
desks. As soon as large enough, Mr. Bogue began to assist in
clearing land and in tilling the soil, and resided with his parents
thus occupied until 1849. In that year he went to Browning’s
Landing, Schuyler County, and engaged in a sawmill, and resided there
until 1865. He then returned to the home farm, and carried on
agriculture one year. We next hear of him in Bernadotte, where he
operated a mill three months. At the expiration of that time he
came to Vermont and with A. B. Kirkbride, established a spoke factory
and was actively engaged in the manufacture of spokes until 1874.
For the last fifteen years, with the exception of 1883, which he spent
in Oregon, he has operated the Harper & Marshall mills. The
first eight years he managed it in the interest of his brother Jesse,
who then owned it.
Mr. Bogue has been twice married. His first marriage, in
1858, was to Mary A. Marshall. She was born in Pleasant Township,
this county, and was a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Marshall. Her
death occurred in October, 1864, while yet in life’s prime. The
second marriage of our subject, in the month of January, 1866, was to
Mrs. Martha (Dunlap) Ramsey. By his first wife Mr. Bogue had one
child – Fred, who resides near Gardner, Johnson County, Kan., and by
his second marriage, two children – Sarah and Mary. Mrs. Bogue is
a member of the Free Methodist Church.
Back to Bio Index
Copyright © Sara Hemp and Genealogy Trails
All rights reserved