Grundy County, Illinois
S. P. AVERY, attorney, Morris, was born in Kendall County, Ill., January 13, 1850; son of S. K. Avery, a native of Oneida County, N. Y., born in 1810, a farmer by occupation; he was born, raised and lived on the same farm in New York till 1847, then came to Illinois that fall, and in the spring of 1848, purchased a farm in Kendall County, where he lived till the time of his death, which occurred December 15, 1880. He was a prominent nurseryman and fruitgrower, during the latter part of his life in Illinois. His wife, Asenath (Wilder) Avery, was born at Verona, N. Y., December 16, 1814, and married S. K. Avery, January 20, 1836. They moved to Kendall County, Ill., in 1847, where Mrs. Avery died November 26, 1874. They raised seven children, six of whom are now living, five sons, of which subject is the fourth, and one daughter. Subject was educated at the common schools of Kendall County, and at Fowler Institute at Newark; he read law two years in Rochester, N. Y., with Jesse Shepard, then one and a half years in Chicago with A. W. Windett. Mr. Avery was admitted to the bar in June, 1876, came to Morris September 13, 1876, and began the practice of his profession; there he has continued since. Mr. Aver)- was married, in Laddonia, Mo., March 10,1882, to Kate Wilder, born October 20, 1856, daughter of Judge B. H. Wilder, of Audrain County, Mo. Mrs. Avery is a member of the Baptist Church. Subject was with Judge C. Grant, Register in Bankruptcy, from December, 1877, to January, 1881, when Judge Grant died; from that time, subject has been Acting Register. Mr. Avery is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
OTIS BAKER, livery, Morris, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., June 11,1834, and educated in the common schools of New York. He was married, June 2, 1855, to Miss Sarah D. Gregory, who was born in New York January 20, 1835. In the fall of 1856, they came to Grundy County, Ill., and settled in Morris, but soon after bought an eighty-acre farm, four miles north of Morris, where they lived until 1866, when they sold their farm and bought another in the same township (Saratoga), where" they remained ten years. In 1876, our subject moved to the town of Morris and engaged for two or three years in the dairy business, since which time he has kept a farmers' feed yard. The family consists of two daughters—Minnie G., born February 26,1857; married, December 1, 1881, to Charles W. Potter, of New York; and Hattie M., born March 24, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Baker and their oldest daughter are members of the Congregational Church. Mr. Baker is a Republican, and has been repeatedly elected to offices of trust in the community, in which he has lived. His mother, Laura Baker, is a native of Bristol, Vt., born March 16, 1799, and is now living with her daughter, in Milwaukee, Wis.; his father, Otis Baker, was born in Massachusetts November 10, 1795, and died in Orleans County, N. Y., September 23, 1879. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
E. L. BARTLETT, musician, Morris, was born in New York September 19, 1821. When he was twelve years old, his father moved to Western New York, where he worked a farm three years. Our subject entered Hamilton College in 1839, from where he graduated in 1843. He was married October 26, 1843, to Miss Rachel A Conklin, daughter of C. J. Conklin, now living with his daughter, Mrs. Bartlett, in Morris. In July, 1844, they settled in Lisbon, Kendall County, where Mr. Bartlett was for five years Principal of the Long Grove Academy, after which he taught one year in Oswego, Kendall County ; he was also called to the Principalship of the Plainfield Academy, of Will County, just then erected, at which place he taught three years. Mr. Bartlett looks with pride upon many of his former pupils, now filling very honorable positions. In 1854, he purchased a farm in Saratoga Township, upon which he lived ten years. At this period of his history, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Forty-six Illinois Volunteers, as Musician, in Hentzleman's Western Division Band, serving till the close of the war. Returning home, he sold his farm and settled in Morris, where he has since lived. He owns a store building on Washington street, where for some years he conducted a music store. Their family numbers ten children— Napoleon B., born in 1846, killed November 11, 1864, at the battle of Duvall's Bluff; Francis E., born in 1848, is a merchant in Morris ; Leroy, born in 1850, is a merchant in Chicago; Arabella, born in 1852, and died December 28, 1874 ; Jessie, born in 1854, married to William J. Davis, of Chicago ; Josephine, born in 1856 ; Lincoln, born in 1859 ; Sherman, died in infancy ; and Stella, born in 1869. Mr. Bartlett has attained an enviable reputation as a musician, having traveled over Illinois and Iowa with a concert company composed of his own family. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
GEORGE BAUM, clothier, Morris, was born in Germany January 20, 1828; son of George Baum, who was born and raised in Germany, and also died there. Subject emigrated to the United States in 1853, landing in New York City on the 16th of August. He was educated in the common schools of Germany, and when twenty-one years of age was put into the regular army, by a law of that country, which compelled all able-bodied young men, to serve six years. Our subject, by good deportment while in the service, was enabled to procure a recommendation from the principal officers over him, which gave him an honorable release two years prior to the expiration of the time for which he had enlisted. From the date of his landing in the United States in 1853 to 1856, he occupied his time principally in laboring as a farm hand in the States of Connecticut and New Jersey, having had but a meager supply of means when he landed. After reaching Morris on the 4th of April, 1856, he began as before in laboring at any kind of work that presented itself, by which he could earn fair wages, and continued in this way some seven or eight years. He and his brother Henry then began in the saloon business, which he followed until 1877. September 1 of that year, he began the clothing business on his own responsibility, and at present is thus engaged, and doing a satisfactory business. He has been Alderman in Morris for seven years, and has been Director for several years for the Cemetery Association. Mr. Baum was married, in Germany, in June, 1853, just before starting for this country, to Elizabeth Keiser. They have raised three children to maturity and lost two sons, one dying in infancy and the other in his thirteenth year. Those living are one son, Henry, and two daughters, viz., Eliza (wife of John Schobert) and Annie. Mr. Baum and wife are members of the Lutheran Church, and he is a member of the IOOF. Mr. Baum owns a handsome and commodious two-story brick residence in Morris, good store-room, a tenement house, and some vacant lots; he is a Democrat. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
HENRY BAUM, dry goods and millinery, Morris, was born in New Jersey April 4,1855, son of George Baum, whose sketch appears in another part of this work. There were three sons, of whom our subject is the eldest, and the only one living, and two daughters. Henry was educated principally at the public schools of Morris, and took a commercial course at Bryant & Stratton's College of Chicago, graduating in that course in the spring of 1872. He began business by clerking in the dry goods establishment of L. F. Beach & Co., of Morris, remaining there nearly two years, then in partnership with Mr. Schobert opened a similar store in 1874, the firm name being Baum & Schobert. This firm continued together till 1881, at which time they divided, and since each of them has run a separate store. Mr. Henry Baum is a member of the Masonic order at this place, has taken all the degrees of lodge and chapter, and will likely go through the commandery at an early date. Subject has one of the finest stores in the city, and does a good business. He owns a block of tenement houses near the High School building in Morris, and a couple of vacant lots on Main street; he is also interested in several mines in Colorado, prominent among them is the one owned by the Grundy Mining Company. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
HENRY BAUM, SR., saloon, Morris, was born in Lauchroeden, Saxe-Weimar, Germany, October 26,1834. He was raised and educated in his native country, receiving special training in music. He served three years as apprentice in general masonry. Came to the United States in the fall of 1857, by way of New Orleans. Settled in Morris, where he engaged at his trade, combined with music-teaching, for eighteen months. In 1859, he went to Louisville, Ky., and gave musical instruction, working at his trade, meantime, for one year. Afterward, made a specialty of music, going south with a troupe, and located in Baton Rouge, La., until the breaking-out of the war in 1861, when he returned to Morris, and enlisted in the Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteers as a member of the regiment band. Served until the band was discharged in 1862. Since his discharge, he has been engaged in keeping a saloon, located on Washington street. He was married, January 14,1864, to Miss Elizabeth Zeermann. She is a native of Frickenfelt, Bavarian Rheinfels, Germany, born May 16, 1844. They have two children buried and two living—Louise, born in Morris December 9, 1864, died January 31, 1873 ; Henry B., born January 27, 1865, died September 13, 1873 ; Willie L., born May 11, 1866; and Birdie, born November 23, 1874. Subject is a member of I.O.O.F., and a Republican. Residence on corner of Washington and Cedar streets, Morris, Ill. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
L. F. BEACH, dealer in dry goods, boots and shoes, etc., Morris, was born in North Dansville, New York July 9,1841; son of Aaron W Beach, who was also a native of New York, born in December, 1797, was a farmer by occupation, and now in (1882), lives in Chicago in his eighty-fifth year. His wife, Mary A. (Baker) Beach, was also of New York, born in 1802, and died in Chicago, in June, 1882. The parents raised five children; three sons, of whom the subject is the youngest, and two daughters. Mr. Beach was educated in Steuben County, N. Y., and began life as a farmer in his native State. He came to this State in 1869, having merchandized four years before he came; he settled in Morris when he first came to the State, and began merchandising, which he still follows. Mr. Beach is a member of the Masonic order, and has taken all the degrees from E. A. to Knight Templar; he was School Treasurer for this township for two years, and is now a member of the City Council. He was married, in Erie, Penn., in February, 1870, to Amelia A. Hennessey, who was born July 11, 1816. They have four children —three sons, viz., Layton Fayette, Joseph Allen Hunter and James Blaney; one daughter, Maud Amelia. Mrs. Beach is a member of the Episcopal Church. Subject has built up a good trade, carries a large stock, and besides runs a store of general merchandise at Council Grove, Kan.; he is a Democrat. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOHN BROWN, druggist, Morris, was born in England September 1, 1825, son of William Brown, who was born in England about 1785. He was a soldier in the English Army the greater portion of his life, and died in 1864. His wife was Margaret (Blease) Brown. The parents had eight children born to them and raised six to maturity—three sons, of which subject is the third, and three daughters. Subject emigrated to the United States in 1851, and settled in this county, where he has lived since. He was educated in the common schools of England, where he began life in the drug business. When he first came to Illinois, he engaged in farming for about fifteen years, and then engaged again in the drug business, and has followed it since. Mr. Brown has been Supervisor for Au Sable Township, and School Director for Morris, besides filling other minor offices not necessary to mention. He bought the hotel known as the Hopkins House, in Morris, in 1875, and ran the hotel business there, in connection with his other affairs, for about five years. He then sold the hotel, and gave his entire attention to his present business. Mr. Brown was married, in England, in 1850, to Ann (Brown) Brown. She was born in 1826. They have nine children, four sons and five daughters. Subject owns a comfortable residence in Morris, and a good store building ; carries a large stock and has a very satisfactory trade. He is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
GEORGE F. BROWN, grain dealer, Morris, was born June 6, 1828, in Madison County, N. Y. In the year 1830, his father removed to the State of Ohio, where he lived eleven years. In 1841, he again moved, and lived two years in Wisconsin. In 1843, he located in Chicago, where he embarked in the mercantile business for eleven years. He then, in 1854, went to Freeport, where he is still engaged in business. George F. was educated principally at Norwalk, Ohio, and Chicago, Ill. In April, 1855, he came to Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., where he has since done an extensive business in grain and lumber. On the 15th day of October, 1855. he was married to Miss Emma Heald, of Freeport, Ill. She was born in Darien, N. Y., on the 1st day of April, 1832, and came to Illinois in 1853. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Their family consists of six children, only two of whom are living—AnnaH., Emma, George P., Everett R., Isabella G. and Georgie. Mr. Brown is a stanch Republican, and has held several responsible offices in the city and county. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
WILLIAM GRAYSON BROWN, sales manager; born, Morris, ILL., Nov. 5, 1869; son of John and Ann Brown; educated in public and high schools of Morris; unmarried. Began business career in general agent's office, in Chicago, of Cotton Belt Railway Co.; removed to St. Louis two years later, and was three years in office of general traffic manager, same road; then two years with the First National Bank of Little Rock, Ark.; started in the electrical construction and supply business, and was vice president Ewing-Merkle Electric Co., 1903-08, since general sales manager Continuous Frog and Crossing Co. Episcopalian. Mason. Club: Missouri Athletic. Office: 1408 Syndicate Trust Bldg. Residence: 4012 McPherson Ave. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
ALEXANDER BURRELL, collier, Morris, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, January 14, 1850. He came with his parents to the United States in 1852, and settled in Chicago. There his father, Archie Burrell, died in 1853. In 1854, his mother, Eliza Burrell, and family, consisting of three sons, removed to Morris, Grundy County, where they have since lived. Subject was married, April 8, 1879, to Miss Abbie Kiersted, daughter of George H. Kiersted, one of the pioneers of Grundy County. They have two children—George, born January 2, 1880, and Alexander, born February 26, 1881. Mr. Burrell is a member of the firm of Gould, Buchanan & Burrell, coal-miners. They have two shafts, situated near the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, within the city limits ; office on Liberty street. Mr. Burrell is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOHN BUCK, coal and tile, Morris, was born in Cork, Ireland, February 1,1827. When he was three years old, his parents moved to Canada, where he was raised and educated. He came to Illinois in 1849, and to Grundy County in 1850, where he purchased a tract of land of about nineteen acres in the northwest part of the city of Morris, on which he now lives, engaged in the manufacture of drain-tile ; he also operates a coal bank on the same site. He was married, December 3, 1861, to Miss Isabella McMinn, of Pennsylvania. She was born November 20, 1832, and died December 29, 1862. Our subject was again married, March 16, 1865, to Miss Susanna Hutchins, of Morris. She was born in Canada September 24, 1843. They have seven children, one of whom is the result of the first marriage—John T., born December 22, 1862. The children of the second marriage are George H., born January 6, 1866 ; Herbert E., born March 10, 1867 ; William F., born November 10.1869 ; Richard R., born April 29,1873 ; Mary E., born November 16, 1874 ; and Martha, born January 9, 1882. The family residence is on Lincoln street. Mr. and Mrs. Buck are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Morris. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
HENRY BURRELL, miner, Morris, is the oldest of three sons of Archie Burrell, of Scotland, and was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, September 30. 1843. When he was nine years old, his parents removed to the United States, and located in Chicago, where his father died of cholera in 1853. In the fall of 1854, his mother and the three sons came to Morris, Grundy Co., Ill. Here the subject and brothers were employed variously for some years by their uncle, Alexander Telfer, a coal merchant. As soon as old enough, they began digging in the mines for support for themselves and mother. At this time (1866), our subject formed a partnership with others, under the firm name of H. Burrell & Co. He is now alone in the coal trade. The mines are one and one-half miles northeast of Morris, between the railroad and the canal. He is also associated with A. W. Telfer in brick-making. The Burrell heirs have a tract of 317 acres of land, which the subject is farming. He was married, May 31, 1870, to Miss Maggie West, then of Morris. She was born in Scotland June 17, 1851. They have a family of four children— two sons and two daughters—Mary E., born May 19,1871 ; Lizzie T., April 4,1874 ; Henry A., September 19, 1877, and William O., August 29, 1880. Mr. Burrell is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and of the I. O. O. F.; politics, Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
O. N. CARTER, County Superintendent of Schools, Morris. (nothing else was written!)
[History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
L. W. CLAYPOOL, whose portrait appears in this work, is a descendant of an old English family. About 1645, Sir James Claypool, of England, married a daughter of Oliver Cromwell. This is the earliest record of the family obtainable. Some years later, two brothers of the same family emigrated from England to America, and settled in Virginia. One subsequently left for Philadelphia, and joined his fortunes with William Penn, and he or his descendant, James C. Claypool, was a signing witness to Penn's charter in 1682. The other brother remained in Virginia, where his son, William Claypool, was born about 1690, and lived to the extraordinary age of one hundred and two years. William Claypool was the father of three sons—George, John and James, the latter born about 1730, who died leaving three sons—Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The first, born April 21, 1762, died in May, 1845. He had six sons and five daughters. Of these sons, Jacob was born August 23, 1788, in Randolph County, Va., and died August 17, 1876. His son, Abraham C., moved from Virginia in 1799, and took up his abode in the Northwest Territory, where Chillicothe, Ohio, now is.
The son of Abraham C. and the father of the subject of this sketch, Jacob C., married Nancy Ballard, a lady of Quaker parentage from North Carolina, and had two sons - Perry A., born in Brown County, Ohio, June 5, 1815. and died in Morris, IlI., October 15, 1846; and L. W., born in the same place June 4, 1819.
Mr. L. W. Claypool spent his early years in a new settlement, going with his parents to Indianapolis, where the ague assailed them with such vigor as to drive them back to Ohio. In March of 1834, he set out with his father to explore the canal lands of Illinois for a new home. He was eager to get an education, and, with the meager facilities afforded in frontier settlements, he managed to master the multiplication table and the elements of writing, and he still has in his possession a rudely-constructed diary with the incidents of this journey noted down in his boyish chirography. The story of this trip and the subsequent removal of the family to Wauponsee Township, in Grundy County, Ill., has been told elsewhere in this volume. His life here was one of great activity, but he managed in the meantime to get quite a knowledge of arithmetic by improving days too wet or cold to work out of doors, and he exhibits with some pride a curious record of the days or half days which he devoted to the study of the elements of mathematics. At the first election held in Grundy County, on May 24, 1841, Mr. Claypool was elected County Recorder, a position he held until 1847, in the meanwhile being appointed the first Postmaster in Morris. In 1848, he was appointed by the Canal Trustees Assistant Agent of the canal lands, having in charge the lands situated in La Salle and Grundy Counties. His duties called him to assist in laying out that part of Chicago in and around Bridgeport, and continued until the last of the land was closed out in 1860. Mr. Claypool has always taken a prominent place in the community in which he has lived so long. He was for years the Supervisor of Wauponsee Township, and is now acting in this capacity for Morris Village. November 15, 1849, he contracted marriage with Caroline B., daughter of John Palmer, of Ottawa, a pioneer of La Salle County, who came overland from Warren County, N. Y., in June, 1834. Mrs. Clay pool was born March 12, 1831, before the family left New York. Two sons of the family born of this union are living —H. C., born March 31, 1852, and L. W., Jr., born October 13, 1866. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
WILLIAM R. CODY, furniture dealer, Morris, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., December 1, 1825, and received his education in his native State. He came to Illinois when eighteen years old, and settled in Lisbon, Kendall County, where he lived for six years, teaching school in various places in the county. He was first married to Miss Martha Hobson, of Naperville, Ill.; October 10, 1854 ; she died June 28, 1855, and is buried in her native town. September 10, 1856, Mr. Cody was again married, this time to Miss Sarah M. Conant. a native of New York, born December 17,1835. They have had six children, two of whom are dead—Caroline, born August 24. 1857, died October 5, 1857 ; Nellie F., born December 21, 1858, married to N. C. Davis, of Morris ; Susan E., May 21 1861, married to E. H. Quigley,of Morris ; Eddie, July 24, 1843, died November 5, 1870 ; Annie, born May 7, 1867 ; and Grace, September 12, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Cody are members of the M. E. Church of Morris. He is now engaged in the furniture business, in partnership ship with N. C. Davis ; place of business Nos. 94 and 96 Liberty street. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
DAVID M. COOK, grocer, Morris, was born in Perry County, Penn., January 13, 1837. His father, James Cook, died in Pennsylvania when David was nine years of age, and his mother moved with her family to Miami County, Ohio. Here his mother and one brother died. The three remaining brothers came to Warren County, Ill., in the spring of 1855. In the fall of 1856, they moved to Morris, Grundy County, where he and his brother. John W., established a restaurant and provision store on Washington street. Our subject was married, November 2, 1860, to Miss Jane Claypool, daughter of Perry A. Claypool; she was born in Grundy County, March 7, 1842. The family consists of four children, two of whom are living, viz., Nellie M., born March 25, 1864; Samuel D., December 4,1870 ; William M., born December 23, 1875, died July 23, 1880 ; and John P., born April 5, 1877, died March 18, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Cook are members of the Presbyterian Church of Morris. Mr. Cook is now proprietor of a grocery and provision store on Liberty street, in a building erected by him in 1861. He is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JAMES CUNNEA, banker, Morris, was born in Ireland January 6, 1810, and is a son of Patrick and Isabella (Brown) Cunnea. Patrick Cunnea was born in Ireland in 1783, was a farmer and merchant by occupation, merchandized largely, and died in Ireland in 1840, having been sick but six days; his wife died the same year. The parents had sixteen children born to them, twelve of whom were raised to maturity - six sons, of whom subject is the oldest, and six daughters. Our subject received a limited education in the common schools in Ireland. He began for himself by keeping store and farming, which he continued about six years, and then, in 1846, times getting a little hard there, he said to his wife, "We will go to America," and at once sold out his effects and emigrated to the United States, stopping about two years in New York; then he came to Illinois (1848), and, purchasing a large tract of land in Will County, began farming and stockraising, which he followed in connection with his sons till about 1866; from there he came to Morris, and opened a loan office for a few years, and, in 1872, purchased the First National Bank of Seneca, and removed the same to Morris, changing the name to First National Bank of Morris. From that time to the present, he and his sons have run a general banking business here. The officers of the bank are as follows : James Cunnea (subject), President and Director; John Cunnea, Cashier and Director; John McCambridge, Director; George A. Cunnea, Director; James Cunnea, Jr., Director. Subject and sons also own considerable land in this and other Slates, besides other valuable property. Subject is a Democrat in politics. He was married in Ireland, March 4, 1834, to Ann Glackin, a daughter of Dennis and Catharine (McHugh) Glackin; his wife was born in March, 1817. They had twelve children born to them; eight raised to maturity, one of whom, Thomas, died at the age of twenty-three years. Those living are three sons—John, James and George A., and four daughters, viz., Isabella, Maria (now the wife of John McCambridge), Catharine and Anna. Mr. Cunnea and wife and all the family are members of the Catholic Church. James Cunnea, Jr., was married in 1876, to Estella Smith, daughter of Patrick Smith, of Cleveland. Ohio. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOHN CUNNEA, banker and cashier, Morris, was born in Ireland, July 22, 1840 ; is a son of James Cunnea, whose biography appears elsewhere in this history. Our subject came to the United States in 1846 ; stopped two years in New York City, then came to Illinois, and soon afterward settled in Will County, at what is now called Braidwood. There he attended school, and afterward completed his education at Bryant & Stratton's Business College in Chicago. Mr. Cunnea purchased a considerable tract of land at Braidwood, and remained there engaged in farming for seventeen years. He came to Morris in May, 1866, and about a year afterward, in connection with his brothers, opened a loan office, which they continued till August, 1872, when they purchased of D. D. Spencer his banking business at Seneca. All the appurtenances of the bank they removed to Morris, where they still carry on a general banking business. The bank is known as the First National Bank of Morris, the proprietors being James Cunnea & Sons. September 1, 1875, our subject was married to Jennie A. Hoge, daughter of Samuel and Matilda (Holderman) Hoge. This union has resulted in two children—Samuel James and Charity Isabella. Mr. Cunnea and wife are members of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
WILLIAM H. CURTIS, retired, Morris. The subject of this sketch is a native of Rutland, Vt., born December 24, 1817, son of Thaddeus and Charlotte (Kimball) Curtis, who came to Grundy County, 1848. His father died in Grundy County, September 3, 1857, in his sixty-sixth year. The mother died in Grundy County, January 9, 1862, in her seventy-fifth year. Subject came to Grundy County in 1846, and bought land in Vienna Township, where he made his home until coming to Morris, January, 1880. Raised and educated in Vermont. Married June 12, 1860, to Mrs. Jane A. Hollenbeck, widow of Abraham Hollenbeck. She is a native of Dutchess County. N. Y., February 13,1817, and came to Grundy County about 1850. Mr. Curtis is now retired and is living in a beautiful residence on corner of Benton and Spruce streets. Besides his large landed interest in Vienna Township, of this county, he owns a farm of 112 acres in Section 25, of Brookfield Township, La Salle County. "Wolves!" said Mr. Curtis, "I can tell you a big one, but nobody will believe it." "Let us have the benefit of the story," said the interviewer. " I was aroused one morning to find a wolf with a chicken. I had no dog of my own, but Dr. Antis' dog happened to be under my shanty. He gave chase, and was soon joined by William Hinchman's dog. In order to encourage the dogs, I got on a horse, not stopping to put on a bridle, and followed after. They overhauled him on a pond which had a considerable thickness of ice, but they were not equal to the wolf, not being used to his method of defense. Thinking to help the dogs, I got off my horse and caught the wolf by the tail. No sooner had I done so than the dogs left me to engage the wolf while they indulged in a fight with each other. In this dilemma I conceived the idea of killing my game by swinging it over-handed and bringing its head in contact with the ice. This proved a failure, for the first impression broke the ice, letting us into three feet of water. Now my only chance was to drown him, and after several attempts, coupled with the pitchfork in the hands of a boy, the wolf was numbered with the slain." [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOHN B. DAVIDSON, broker, Morris, was born in Beaver County, Penn., January 28, 1815, and spent his boyhood in Eastern Ohio. He resided about twenty years in the towns of Middleton, Poland and Lowellville, fifteen years of which time he was engaged successfully in the dry goods trade, and was five years Postmaster of Lowellville. In 1845, he married Miss Kate Butler, daughter of Mrs. Julia Alford, of the city of Morris ; she died April 13, 1858. Before his arrival here in 1854, Mr. Davidson had invested extensively in city real estate and farming lands of the surrounding country. The first year, he engaged in clerical work until he could arrange to go into business. In 1855, he, in connection with Walker and Alford, established the first boot and shoe house in Morris ; he soon after bought the interest of Mr. Walker. This store was located where Goold's drug store now is, and in 1858 Mr. Davidson and his partner sold to Edwards & Galloway. Mr. Davidson was elected Alderman of the Second Ward in 1857, and in 1860 was elected Circuit Clerk, which office he held until 1868, declining another term. He was married again, May 28, 1861, to a daughter of the Rev. Reuben Frame, at the time pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Morris. Our subject is now engaged as a banker and broker, being among the leading capitalists of the county. He is a Director and stockholder in the Morris Bridge Company, the Grundy County Bank, and the Morris Gas Compauy, and is justly regarded as one of the city's leading benefactors. He is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JESSIE BARTLETT DAVIS
DAVIS, Mrs. Jessie Bartlett, prima donna contralto, born near Morris, Grundy county, Ill., in 1860. Her maiden name was Jessie Fremont Bartlett. Her father was a farmer and a country schoolmaster. He possessed a remarkably good bass voice and had a knowledge of music. The family was a large one, and a sister about a year older, named Belle, as well as Jessie, gave early evidence of superior vocal gifts. Their father was very proud of their talents and instructed them as well as he could. Before they were twelve years of age they were noted as vocalists throughout their neighborhood. They appeared frequently in Morns and surrounding villages and cities in concert work, and they soon attracted the attention of traveling managers, one of whom succeeded in securing them for a tour of the western cities to sing in character duets. The older sister was of delicate constitution and died soon after that engagement was made. Jessie Bartlett then went to Chicago in search of fame and fortune, and was engaged by Caroline Richings, with whom she traveled one season. She was ambitious to perfect herself in her profession, and she soon returned to Chicago and devoted herself to the study of music, and at the same time held a good position in a church choir. During the "Pinafore" craze Manager Haverly persuaded her to become a member of his original Chicago Church Choir Company, and she assumed the role of Buttercup. That was the beginning of her career as an opera singer. Since that time, through her perseverance and indefatigable efforts, aided by her attractive personality, she has steadily progressed in her art, until she is one of the leading contralto singers of the United States. Her histrionic powers are not in the least inferior to her vocal ability. She is one of the best actors among the singers now on the American stage. She made her debut in grand opera in New York City with Adelina Patti and the Mapleson Opera Company. Adelina Patti sang Marguerite and Jessie Bartlett Davis sang Siebel. Other grand operas in which she has won distinction are "The Huguenots," "Martha," "The Merry Wives of Windsor," "Il Trovatore," "Dinorah" and others. In comic opera she has probably a more complete repertoire than any other singer now before the public. For the last four years she has been the leading contralto of the Bostonians. Jessie Bartlett became the wife of William J. Davis, a Chicago theatrical manager, in 1880. Her home is in Chicago, with a summer residence in Crown Point, Ind. Mr. Davis owns an extensive stock farm at that place. Her home life is very pleasant, and she divides her time into eight months of singing and four months of enjoying life in her city home or on the farm in Indiana. She is the mother of one son, eight years of age. Besides her musical and histrionic talents, Mrs. Davis has decided literary gifts. She is the author of "Only a Chorus Girl" and other attractive stories and a number of poems. She has composed the music for several songs. ("American Women", by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, Publ. 1897, Transcribed by Marla Snow.)
PHINEAS DAVIS, retired farmer, P. O. Morris. Mr. Davis was born in Livingston County, N. Y., January 24, 1827. He came to Illinois in 1847, and settled in Kendall County, where he purchased a farm and lived for twenty-seven years. In March, 1874, he moved to Morris, Grundy County, and bought a beautiful location on the corner of Liberty and High streets. He was married, January 22, 1848, to Miss Maria L. Phipps, of New Jersey. She was born in 1822, and died January 29, 1879. The family consists of two sons—James L., born March 28, 1849, married to Elizabeth J. Boyer ; and Uriah C., born November 15, 1851, married to Miss Nellie Cody. Our subject was married the second time, February 24, 1881. to Sallie C. Frasee, widow of Barnard Frasee. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Morris. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
OLE ERICKSON, dry goods, boots and shoes, Morris, is a native of Norway ; was born October 6. 1850, and came to the United States in 1866. He is a son of Erik Erickson, of Norway, born in 1803 ; the latter came to the United States July 20, 1880, and settled in Minnesota as a farmer, that being his occupation ; he still resides there. His wife, Marit (Svarthaugen) Erickson. was born in Norway in 1812, and died there November 29, 1870. They were the parents of three children, one son, who is the subject of this sketch, and two daughters. Subject was edjucated at the common schools in Norway; was raised on the farm, and worked at that pursuit a short time after starting for himself, but soon went into a store. When he first came to the Unites States in 1866, he began as clerk at Chicago in a grocery store, where he continued some three years ; from there he came to Morris, May 17, 1869, and started a dry goods business with a partner. This he continued for three years, when he sold out, and again engaged as clerk, which he followed about eight years. On the 12th of November, 1880, in partnership with W. B. Hull, he opened a full store of dry goods, boots and shoes, and they are now doing a lively business. Mr. Erickson was married in Morris, September 10, 1871, to Mary M., daughter of William Frey, of this place; she was born November 23, 1851. They have two children, one daughter, Anna M., born November 1,1872; and one son, Albert E., born March 19, 1875. Subject is a Lutheran, and his wife a Methodist. Mr. Erickson has been Town and City Collector for two years. He is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
CHARLES D. FERGUSON, Sheriff, Morris, was born near Rochester, N. Y., May 31, 1839, and is a son of Daniel Ferguson, who was also a native of New York, born in 1809, a blacksmith by occupation, who came to Grundy County, Ill., in 1854, and purchased a tract of land, but was taken with cholera and returned to New York, and died in 1854, only living about twenty-four hours after reaching home. His wife, Amelia (Fowler) Ferguson, was born in New York in 1804. and came to Illinois in 1854, shortly after her husband's death, bringing her family, and settling in Morris, where she died in 1874. The parents raised two sons —subject is the oldest—and three daughters. Subject was educated in New York; began business as a blacksmith, which he followed about twenty-five years. In the fall of 1880, he was elected Sheriff of Grundy County, an office he now holds. He has had charge of the steam fire engine for eleven years—from 1869 to 1880. Mr. Ferguson married first in Geneseo, N. Y., April 9, 1861, to Louisa Hall, daughter of John Hall of that place. She died November 24,1861. His second marriage was in this county, March 25,1865, to Elizabeth A. Ent, born March 25, 1844, at Stockton, Hunterdon Co., N. J., and is an only daughter of Asa Ent, of New Jersey. The children are as follows: Fred C.. born March 31,1866 ; Harry M., born September 19, 1870, and Eugene Ray, born January 24, 1874. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
DR. S. T. FERGUSON, Morris, was born in Auburn, N. Y., March 7, 1845, and came to Grundy County in 1854 ; son of Daniel Ferguson, who was also a native of New York ; of Scotch parentage, born about the year 1800 ; was a blacksmith by occupation, and died of cholera in 1854. Immediately after his death, his wife, Parmelia Fowler, also a native of New York, born in 1802, came to Grundy County with her children, and died in Morris in 1875. The parents raised five children—two sons—of whom our subject is the younger, and three daughters. Mr. Ferguson was educated at the common schools at Morris, afterward taking a medical course at Ann Arbor, Mich., and Chicago, IlI., graduating at the last-named place in the class of 1865. He began business for himself as clerk in a drug store in Morris, which he followed about seven years ; thence to Ann Arbor, where he attended the medical school one term, and then to Seneca, in La Salle County, and practiced medicine about one year; next he went into the army, where he was Surgeon of the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Infantry for four months. He was then appointed United States Surgeon, and sent to Topeka, Kan., where he remained about a year, including what time was spent at Lawrence. From Topeka, he came back to Morris, and engaged in the drug business ; next went to Minooka, and entered into partnership with Dr. William P. Pierce in a general practice, where he remained about thirteen years ; from there, subject again returned to Morris, and resumed the practice of his profession. He has had now nearly twenty years practice. While at Minooka, Dr. Ferguson spent two winters at Chicago studying gynecology, which he now makes a specialty of. Dr. Ferguson was married at Seneca, August 2, 1863, to Emma, daughter of Joseph R. Obdycke, of Grundy County. She died April 15,1881. The Doctor is a Mason, and has taken all the degrees, from E. A. to Knight Templar. He is a Past Master of Minooka Lodge, No. 528, and has filled different offices in the Chapter and Commandery. Subject owns some farm lands in this and Kendall Counties. He is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOSEPH FESSLER, saloon, Morris, is a native of Germany, born December 16, 1850. When our subject was two years old, his mother emigrated to the United States, and settled in Chicago, his father having died in Germany in 1851. In 1861, Mr. Fessler went to Minooka, Grundy County, and lived there with his uncle (John Schroeder) until the fall of 1866, when Mr. Schroeder was elected Sheriff of the county, and moved to Morris, where Mr. Fessler has since lived. He was Assistant Warden at the time of the lynching of Alonzo Tibbits in 1868. December 8, 1872, he married Miss Eva Becker, of Morris. She was born in Indiana November 25,1852. They have three children - Carrie L., born February 14, 1875 ; Bertha M., July 5, 1878, and Ernest J., May 4.. 1880. Subject engaged in the saloon business in 1873, with Charles Wagner, which he continued until April, 1875, when he purchased the interest of Mr. Wagner, and has since conducted the business alone. His saloon is located on Liberty street; his residence on Jefferson street. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
HIRAM C. GOOLD, druggist, Morris, Ill., was born in Orleans County, N. Y., October 23, 1821, but moved to Ontario County, N. Y., at three years of age, where he attended the common schools during his early childhood. His education was completed at the Wesleyan University, at Lima, N. Y. When twenty years of age, he began teaching, which occupation he followed several years. Came to Illinois in 1845, and located in Putnam County, where he taught one year in the Granville Academy. Went to Michigan and taught two years, and then came to Morris, Grundy County, in 1848. Was in a dry goods store two years as clerk. Then went to California by the overland route, being 100 days on the road. Was engaged in Northern California in mining three years. Then returned to Morris and engaged in the real estate business, and where he eventually went into the drug business. Was elected County Superintendent of Schools in 1852, and filled the office three consecutive terms or ten years, the duties of which office he filled creditably to himself and to the full satisfaction of the people. He was married, at Morris, in the fall of 1853, to Clementine L. Baker, born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1824. They have one son, Hiram B., who is his father's assistant in the drug business. Mr. Goold has been a member of the Congregational Church since seventeen years of age. Has always taken an active part in the temperance movements of the county, and was one of the charter members of the Sons of Temperance of Morris, organized in 1848. Has been a life-long worker in the Sunday school, and since his residence in Morris has been identified with the Sunday schools of that place, the principal part of the time as Superintendent of the Congregational school. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
MILES GORDON, joiner, Morris, was born in Franklin County, Me., January 22, 1820. He came to Morris in 1843, and has been a leading contractor in his line of business during all the years of his residence here. In August, 1844. our subject was married to Miss Betsey Judkins, of Maine; this union has been blessed with five children. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JACOB M. GRIGGS, farmer, P. O. Morris is a native of Pennsylvania, born April 12. 1829. He came to the site of Morris in 1837, with his father, who built the second house in the place, in 1838. The father died in Morris in April, 1849. Our subject attended the first school ever organized in Morris. He was married, January 13, 1862, to Miss Emma Cochran, daughter of Samuel Cochran, of Morris, born February 28, 1840. The family consists of seven children, viz., Sigel A., born January 25, 1863 ; Henry B., February 5, 1866 ; Helen J., March 1, 1868 ; Minnie M., November 14, 1871 ; Birdie W., September 10, 1875 ; Archie R., June 2, 1877 ; Gracie G., November 6, 1879. Mr. Griggs has about seventy-five acres of farm land in Section 9 of Morris Township, and one hundred acres in Section 16 of Saratoga Township, valued at $60 per acre. He is associated in the brick and tile business with Messrs. Martin and Steep, the firm known as Griggs, Martin & Steep. Mr. Griggs is a persistent temperance worker and a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
FRANCIS HALL, saloon, Morris, was born in Clackmannan, Scotland, August 16, 1830. He was raised and educated in Scotland, and came to the United States in June, 1855 ; settled in Pennsylvania for about one year, then in September, 1856, he came to Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., where he has since resided. He engaged in the coal trade for several years until 1868. In 1861, he sunk the first shaft made on the Conklin road. Since 1868, he has been proprietor of the saloon, corner of Washington and Wauponsee streets ; residence on Washington street. He was married, February 3,1862, to Miss Margaret Rankin, of De Kalb County, Ill. Mrs. (Rankin) Hall was born January 24, 1841. They have a family of nine children, four of whom are dead. They are Thomas Hall, born December 17, 1862 ; Margaret J., born April 5, 1865, and died July 31, 1866 ; Christina M., born June 26, 1867, and died October 17, 1868; Francis, born September 11, 1869 ; Jennie, born February 19,1872. and died October 22, 1875; Lillie, born August 3, 1874, and died September 30,1875 ; Edward, born August 13, 1876; Jessie, born May 27, 1879; Isabel, born June 18, 1882. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
DR. A. F. HAND, Morris. The subject of this sketch may be classed among the early settlers of Grundy County, having come to Morris in the spring of 1847, and resided here ever since. He was born in 1816 in the town of Shoreham, Vt., on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain, directly opposite Fort Ticonderoga, and within a stone's throw of where Ethan Allen embarked to cross the lake in that famous surprise of his on the British forces. At the age of eighteen, he left the home of his parents and came West, stopping for a short time at Logansport, Ind., at the residence of his half-brother, Rev. Martin Post. He next found his way to Jacksonville, Ill., and two years later, entered the Freshman class as a student in Illinois College, graduating in the scientific course of that institution four years afterward. We next find our subject at Louisville, Mo., where he taught school two years, and returning to Jacksonville again, entered the medical department of Illinois College, and three years later obtained his diploma as Doctor of Medicine. He now began the practice of his profession, and spent two years with the distinguished Dr. Charles Chandler, of Chandlerville, Ill. In the spring of 1847, through the influence of Hon. Perry Armstrong, subject was induced to come to Morris, where he has since resided and practiced medicine. Now, at the age of sixty, with a moderate competence in store, he has declared his intention of retiring from the active pursuit of his profession, and enjoying the fruit of his labors. Dr. Hand was married May 1, 1850, in Morris, to Sarah E. Clark, born March 17, 1827, in Philadelphia, a daughter of Job Clark, a boot and shoe merchant of Milford, Conn. They have three children—Eduella Clark, Truman A. and Oliver H. Dr. Hand is a United States Surgeon for examining pensioners. He is a Republican in politics. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
C. H. HANSEN, boots and shoes, hats and caps, Morris, was born in Denmark April 1, 1851, son of Hans Christen. Subject emigrated to this country in the spring of 1868 and traveled for two or three years through Southern Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and finally settled in Chicago. He began business there in 1870, in partnership with his brother, and in 1873 came to Morris and opened a store, which the brothers have continued since. In 1875, our subject took a trip to Europe, and spent six months, traveling through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and England. In the spring of 1877, he went to the Black Hills, and spent about three years, running a mine and store. Afterward, was in Montana and Wyoming Territories. He came back to Morris in the fall of 1880, and after taking a business trip back to the Territories in the spring of 1881, again returned to Morris, where he has since remained. He was married in Canada, January 25, 1882, to Susan E. Mason, who was born in Canada in 1861. Subject is a member of the Knights of Pythias; has a good stock of goods and a satisfactory trade. R. H. Hansen, brother of our subject, was born in Denmark March 5, 1848, and came to this country in 1867. After traveling for some time, he finally settled and spent one summer in Minnesota. From there, he came to Cook County, Ill., where he was on a farm for some time. He next engaged as clerk at Chicago in a boot and shoe store, where he remained till 1870, and then started a store in that city for himself. This he conducted for six years, and in 1874, opened a branch store in Morris. In 1876, he gave up the store entirely in Chicago and came to this place. He is non-partisan in politics. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
JOHN K. HARRISON, mechanic, Morris, is a native of Oneida County, N. Y., born July 7, 1828, and raised in Montgomery County, N. Y. He learned the carpenter trade under his father, serving five years, and afterward served a two year's apprenticeship as millwright. He was married, December 31, 1847, to Miss Phila Jones, of New York. She was born March 2, 1830. Mr. Harrison came to Morris in 1852, since which time he has been engaged mostly at his trade. August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Seventy-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, to which regiment he belonged till 1864, when he was transferred to the Sixty-fourth U. S. C. I., acting as Commissary Sergeant. He continued in this regiment until January 1, 1866, when he was discharged. During his entire service, he was employed in the Quartermaster and Commissary Department. After the war, he came home, and remained about eighteen months, when he went South, and engaged in raising cotton in its season, and working at his trade in the winter. The family consists of eight children— only three living. They are William Henry, born in 1854; Thomas Jefferson, born in 1858, and Ida Isabel, born September 23, 1862. Those deceased are Adelphy A., born in 1847 ; Mary, born in 1849 ; both died in New York in December, 1857 ; John J., born in 1863, died in Grundy County in 1863 ; Josephine, born in 1852, died in Grundy County in 1853, and Eugene M., born in 1867, and died in Mississippi in 1875. Mrs. Harrison is a Methodist; Mr. Harrison is a Democrat. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
W. D. HITCHCOCK, County Clerk, Morris, born in Champlain, Clinton Co., N. Y., August 16,1857 ; son of H. D. Hitchcock, born at same place in 1827. The father came to Morris in November, 1867, and was Deputy Clerk four years. In 1877, was elected Clerk, in which capacity he served till the time of his death, which occurred April 7, 1880. His wife, Mary J. (Cutting) Hitchcock, was a native of Westport, Essex Co., N. Y., born in 1833. She now lives with her son (subject) in Morris. The parents raised three children—one son (subject), and two daughters. Our subject was educated at the High School at Morris, and began life in the dry goods business as salesman, which he followed some six years. From there, he came into the Clerk's office as Deputy under his father, and alter his father's death he was elected to fill the unexpired term. Republican in politics ; belongs to the Masonic order. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
SAMUEL HOLDERMAN, Morris, was born in Marion, Marion Co., Ohio, October 9, 1828 His parents were among the first settlers of Grundy County, settling in Holderman's Grove, then La Salle County, in 1831. The following year (1832), they were compelled to flee to the settlement where Pekin now stands for security from the Indians, then on the warpath. In July, 1852, our subject was married to Miss Martha H. Coke, daughter of Charles H. Coke, of Grundy County. She was born in England September 15, 1830, and died in Felix Township, Grundy County, on the 29th of April, 1866. The result of this union was six children—Charles H., born January 19. 1854, married to Miss Elizabeth Peacock, of Morris ; Mary E., born May 22, 1855, died December 25, 1877 ; Charlotte M., born January 19, 1857, married T. Furgeson in April, 1880 ; William E., born December 22,1858 ; Caroline M., October 22, 1860, and Orville S., December 5, 1863. During the life of his first wife, Mr. Holderman lived on a farm in Felix Township, Grundy County. In January, 1872, ho married Mrs. Elizabeth King, widow of Alondas King, and sister of his former wife. Mr. Holderman has, by his enterprise, assisted largely in giving character to the business of his county. He is now engaged, in connection with his two sons, Charles and William, in the stock business in Wyoming and Utah. He also has an interest in three gold and silver mines in Southern Utah. With these, his son-in-law, Furgeson, is connected. Mr. Holderman spends the greater portion of his time in the West, where his business interests call him. His residence is on Fremont avenue, Morris. His politics are Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
H. H. HOLTZMAN, stationery and news depot, Morris, was born in the District of Columbia November 3, 1837, son of James H. and Sophia (Shell) Holtzman, both natives of the District of Columbia. He, born December 7, 1815, was a merchant, and died November 12, 1868; she, born May 22, 1816, died May 28, 1868 ; they had five sons, of which our subject was the oldest, and six daughters. Mr. Holtzman was educated in the District of Columbia, and, with his father and the family, came to Morris in 1855, where our subject engaged in the same business he follows at present, except that it was on a very limited scale. He has increased his business from year to year until he now has a large and commodious storeroom well filled with goods and controls a good trade. He is no partisan in politics ; is a member of the Masonic Order, and has taken all the degrees from B. A. to K. T. Mr. Holtzman was married, in this county, May 9, 1869, to Lucy Hollands, born March 10, 1847. She is a daughter of Joseph and Jane (Smith) Hollands, both born the same year, 1813. She died January 27,1881. He still lives in this county. Mrs. Holtzman is a member of the Presbyterian Church. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
WILLIAM T. HOPKINS, attorney, Morris, was born in Maine October 5, 1819, son of David Hopkins, also a native of Maine, born in 1779 ; he was a farmer by occupation, and died in Maine in 1860; his wife, Esther (Trask) Hopkins, was born in Maine in 1781, and died in 1872, at the old homestead in Maine. The parents raised fourteen children - nine sons, of which subject is the sixth, and five daughters. Subject was educated in the State of Maine, and read law at Bangor, that State. Was admitted to the bar at Morris, Ill., in 1850, and at once began the practice of his profession, which he still continues. Mr. Hopkins was engaged in the mercantile business in Morris from 1853 to 1855. He has been Superintendent of Public Instruction for one term; was elected Judge of the Grundy County Court in 1861, and served one term ; in 1864, he was elected Representative to the Legislature from this county for two years ; he was also one of the Electors the same year on the Republican ticket, which cast the vote of this State for Abraham Lincoln for President. In 1865 and 1866, Mr. Hopkins was one of the general agents of the Internal Revenue Department of the United States. Was in the three-months service in the late war, and raised a company, of which he was Captain. In 1863-64-65, he was President of the Sanitary and Christian Commission for this district. Subject was married in Maine, in 1846, to Clara H., daughter of Simon Prescott; she was born September 20, 1824. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins having no children of their own, raised two nieces—Hannah Hopkins, who is now the wife of Allen F. Mallory, and Nora J. Abbott, who is now an invalid at her adopted home with her uncle. Mr. Hopkins is a Mason ; has filled most of the offices in Lodge and Chapter, and is at present (1882) Master of the Lodge at Morris. He was a member of the first convention that formed the Republican party in this State. Self and wife are members of the Baptist Church. Subject was an intimate friend of President Lincoln from 1850 to the time of his death, and was at the convention at Chicago that nominated Mr. Lincoln for the Presidency. Mr. Hopkins is still a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
RICHARD HUGHES, saloon, Morris, is a native of County Mayo, Ireland; was born in June, 1835. His parents emigrated to the United States in 1846, and settled in Portsmouth, Va., where our subject was principally educated. He served an apprenticeship of three years at the trade of confectioner. About 1855, he came to Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., and engaged in farming until the breaking-out of the war. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Seventy-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was appointed Second Lieutenant at the organization of the company; was promoted to the post of First Lieutenant in 1864, and was mustered in as Captain of Company C in 1865, at Blakely, Ala. He participated in about twenty-seven engagements, including the siege of Vicksburg, siege of Blakely, Jackson Cross-Roads, etc. He had six brothers also in the war, all younger than himself; one of them was killed in the battle of Shiloh; three of them, including himself, were wounded at Blakely, Ala., subject receiving two wounds. Since the war, he has been engaged in business in Morris; is now associated with Mr. J. O. Levette, on Washington street ; his residence is on the corner of Division and North streets, Morris. He is a member of the I.O.O. F. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
D. C. HUSTON, restaurant and photographer, Morris, was born in Grundy County, Ill., July 13,1850. Son of Charles and Jane (Enos) Huston, natives of New York State, he born about the year 1809. His parents raised five children—two daughters, one of whom died in her teens, and three sons, of whom our subject was the second. He commenced his education in the country schools, and finished it in the State Normal Institute at Bloomington, IlI. His first work was farming, but after finishing his schooling he began clerking in a dry goods establishment at Gardner. This occupation he continued in different places until in 1874. After clerking again in Gardner for a few months, he began traveling for the Sherwood School Furniture Company, with which firm he continued for about two and one-half years, when he began the photograph business, which he still follows. February 18, 1882, he opened a restaurant, which he still carries on. April 8, 1879, in Ottawa, Ill., Mr. Huston married Annie C. Kiersted, born May 3, 1854, daughter of George Kiersted (deceased), one of the early settlers of this county. This marriage has resulted in one child—Mabel C., born May 9, 1881. Mr. Huston is a member of the Masonic fraternity ; has taken the degrees of the Lodge and Chapter; he is a Republican. [History of Grundy County, Illinois...", O.L. Basken & Co., Historical Publishers, 1882 - Sub. by K.T.]
ANDRES J. KINGSLEY
Andres J. Kingsley, a prominent citizen and representative business man residing upon section 23, Little Valley Township, McPherson County, Kan., is ambitious, energetic and enterprising, and to his zealous efforts in behalf of local progress and improvement the advancement of many of the leading interests of the county are due. An efficient member of the School Board, he has materially aided in raising the standard of scholarship and instruction, and in the discharge of various official duties has won the esteem and confidence of his co-workers and the general public.
Born May 1, 1835, in New London County, Conn., our subject’s ancestors were among those sons of New England, earnest, tried and true, who have taken a high place in our country’s history. The paternal grandfather of Andrew J. Kingsley, Asahel Kingsley, was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and in the struggle for National Independence fought bravely for God and Liberty. Surviving the perils of those troublous times, he married and in the good old State of Connecticut, reared a family, of whom the father of our subject was a son. This son, Shubael W. was a native of New London, and there was educated, married, and died at a good old age. His life was uneventful, yet he was honored by his fellow-citizens, and held various positions of public trust. He was a Selectman in his native town, and a representative in the legislature of the State. In early life a strong Democrat, he afterward was a stalwart Republican and prominent in politics. In religion, he was a Baptist, and lived and died an upright, conscientious man.
The mother, Mary (Loomis) Kingsley, was born in Andover of the same State, where she spent her entire life, and reared a family of seven children, of whom three yet survive,. Like her husband, she was a Baptist in persuasion, and a devoted Christian woman. Andrew J. was the second child, and received a good common-school education in his native State, and there taught school. When twenty-one years of age, he left home and went to New York, and worked for a lumber company in the Catskill Mountains, where he remained for eighteen months. In 1857, Mr. Kingsley was united in marriage with Miss Minerva L. Fuller, also a native of Connecticut, and a niece of the well known Dr. Fuller, of Hartford, Conn. Mrs. Kingsley was a daughter of William and Nancy (Polley) Fuller, both natives of Connecticut. She received a good education and taught school before her marriage. Eleven children blessed the home of our subject and his estimable wife. Four daughters and two sons are now living: Lucius F., Florence A., Clara A., Fred B., Grace M. and Mary E.
After his marriage, Mr. Kingsley returned to his native State, and there spent six months, at the end of which time he journeyed with his wife to De *Kalb County, Ill. and located upon a rented farm. Two years later, they removed to LaSalle County, and lived there three years, finally settling in Grundy County, where without a dollar of capital our subject bought a farm, and in ten years was worth $10,000, money he himself had earned.
Mr. Kingsley then invested the most of his fortune in a mercantile and grain business, and lost half his money. Courageously gathering together the remuant (sic) of his possessions, he emigrated to Kansas, and made his home upon his present farm. The land then had never known a plow, but was all unbroken prairie. To-day our subject owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, three hundred acres of which are under high cultivation, and yield a bounteous harvest. Mr. Kinsley has also been the owner of five other neighboring farms, which he has disposed of advantageously. His agricultural interest are most prosperous, and have been managed with characteristic energy and excellent judgment. He deals extensively in livestock, and has now on hand one hundred and fifty head of fine cattle.
Our subject and his wife are among the valued members and active workers of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and, together with their family, are important factors in the success of the various benevolent, religious and social enterprises of their township and vicinity. Mr. Kingsley has ever taken a deep interest in educational advancement, and while in Grundy County, Ill., and also in Livingston County, of the same State, was Treasurer of the School Fund, and in his present home has always been a member of the School Board. His children are well educated, two of them having completed a course of instruction at college. Our subject is fraternally associated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 235-236 Transcribed by Lisa Smalley]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails