When James Monroe was president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln was eleven years of age, and Illinois had been a state of the union only two years, Ten Mile Union Baptist Church came into being. It was organized in White (now Hamilton) County in the home of Jeremiah Moore., September 2, 1820. The Presbytery consisted of Elders Wilson Henderson, John Wren, and Chester Carpenter.
Originally, Ten Mile Creek Church was formed by members of the Bankston’s Fork Church Of Gallatain (Now Saline) County. W. P. Throgmorton, in his History Of Franklin Association United Baptist, states that the log book of Ten Mile Church contained the following letter from Franklin Baptist Association:
Dear Brethern: We the Church Of Christ At Bankston’s sitting in conference on Saturday before the second Lord’s Day in August 1820, receive your petition for dismission in order that you might become a constituted body and also that we would send our ministerial help to aid in your constitution. Which petition we grant and dismiss the following brethen and sisters: Moses Shirley, Samual Vance, Delila Boyd, Susanna Moore, Nancy Shirley, Lucy Vance, Andrew Boyd, Susanny Tarleton, And Polly Moore. We also send Wilson Henderson and Chester Carpenter for Elders to aid in your constitution, to attend on Saturday before the first Lord’s day in September at the house of Jeremiah Moore in White (Now Hamilton) County, and the State Of Illinois, may the Lord bless you. Farewell.
The Ten Mile Church became a member of the Hardshell Muddy River Baptist Association in October, 1820. At which time, the membership was eleven. Nine of them came from Bankston’s Fork. The record of the Muddy River Association Shows that membership was twenty-three in 1821 and forty-six in 1824, but dropped to thirty two in 1827 because twenty three members lettered out. it is noted that Chester Carpenter, distinguished pastor of Ten Mile, was moderator of The Muddy River Association 1822 to 1829.
The minutes of the Ten Mile Church from 1820 to 1829 are missing, but the records show that in December 1829 the church agreed that on Thursday Before the next meeting we attend, we would work on the meeting house. It is uncertain as to whether the meeting house was under construction or in need of winter repair. The members may have met in the home until this time but minutes also show that "due to the extreme coldness of the winter, church was not held" frequently during the winter months. The first church thought to be near the center of the old cemetery.
The second meeting house was built in 1838 in the same vicinity as the first. the record shows the dimensions were “24 feet by 26 feet of hewn logs, a roof to be nailed to the rafters, and the ends to be gabled with boards nailed on.” This building served well with major and minor repairs until 1896.
In February 1896, The Ten Mile Church, after some deliberation, voted to construct a new building without dissenting vote. Apparently, W. D. Harper And Chester Judd Donated the acreage for the erection of the new building, for the record shows that they were voted “thanks for the plot”. The cost of the new building was $1306.00. By December of 1896, only 4406.00 was owed on the building. The church voted to insure the new building but was unable to raise the money. The dedication services was preached by W.O. Throgmorton.
The early church was very strict in its doctrine and discipline. Members have been excluded from the church for “the sin of intoxication, “contemptuously treating the church”, “disorderly conduct”, "Living in adultery”, bankruptcy”, etc. one of the most unusual reasons for excluding a member was “transcending the bounds of the gospel privileges.”
The church was of a very forgiving spirit. If a person was charged with violating or breaking of the church covenant, he was asked to attend the next business meeting. Should he fail or refuse to report to the church, he was excluded. However, if he appeared, confessed, and ask forgiveness, he was graciously forgiven and returned to full fellowship of the church.
History indicates the early church was very active. In 1827, the church ordained Chester Carpenter and Robert Moore to the ministry, beginning a practice that has continued to the present time. Also the church used its leadership to establish new churches, some were Liberty, Sugar Camp, United Baptist Church OfMcleansboro, Etc. It is noted that the church was very active in associational affairs and had an ever increasing membership. While the membership of the church did not reach the 100 mark during the first half of the century, the membership in the later years increased to over 100 and remained at that figure until the twentieth century. Then the membership began growing and now totals 433.
Two ministers having the longest period of service in Ten Mile Church, were John B. Maulding and Hosea Vise. Elder Hosea Vise was licensed to preach by Ten Mile On 1841. it was here he held his membership for 58 years, twenty-one of which he served as pastor. He helped organize and served as moderator of the Franklin Association For twenty-one years, when the doctrinal split between “hardshell” and “missionary” occurred in the Bethel Association, it was Hosea Vice who advocated: Adhering to Paul’s advice, “mark them which cause division among you and avoid them”. Rev. John Maulding also had great influence upon the Ten Mile community and served as pastor of Ten Mile for nineteen years. One of his comments of later years was “I have preached here so long, people connect me with Ten Mile”.
With the exception of the Bankston Fork Church, who helped organize Ten Mile, the 1989 I.B.S.A. Annual shows only three churches in the state of Illinois that are older: Elizabetown, Organized in 1806; Shiloh, near the city of Mounds, Organized in 1817; Jonesboro, Organized in 1818.
Ten Mile was one of seven to help form the Franklin Association in 1841 then known as “Union United Baptist Church Association”. The name was later changed to Franklin Association. This organization meeting met with the East Fork Baptist Church, east of West Frankfort.
Interesting to note is that two of the messengers representing Ten Mile, Elder Hosea Vice, Nathaniel Harrelson, and Elder S. M. Williams, were elected officers of the association. Elder S. M. Williams elected as moderator and Nathaniel Harrelson elected as clerk and also appointed treasurer.
Ten Mile remained in the Franklin Association until it was decided in May of 1974 to petition for affiliation in the Fairfield Baptist Association . At the 1974 annual meeting of the Fairfield Baptist Association, Ten Mile was accepted into the union with twenty-five other churches. In 1998, The Fairfield Baptist Association changed its name to become known as Goshen Trail Baptist Association. Ten Mile remains active in the Goshen Trail Baptist Association to this day.
The need for a new church building became evident by the early 1970's. After much discussion, the church congregation decided to build an octagon design with brick veneer. Financing the new facility seemed to be a larger problem than the decision of what the building should look like. After much thought and prayer, the congregation decided to proceed with the project and depend upon the Lord to provide what was needed. Construction began in 1975 with the first services in the new building held in early 1976. Three short years later, God provided for the $150,000.00 note for the new building to be paid in full!
The central auditorium of this facility was surrounded by classrooms, a kitchen, fellowship hall, and restrooms.
Ten Mile Missionary Baptist Church
In 1994, the church had the joyful problem of needing more classroom space. The church voted to build a new fellowship hall and convert the existing fellowship hall to classrooms. The octagon shape facility joined the existing church and included the fellowship area, a large kitchen, storage areas, and restrooms. Although construction was not completed, the first meal in the new fellowship hall was held February 12, 1995.
With continued growth in all age groups and classes, it became evident that the church’s auditorium was no longer adequate. On April 15, 1998, the congregation voted to construct a new, larger octagon worship center with classrooms again around the central auditorium. Pouring of concrete began in May of 2000 with approximately 400 yards of concrete poured for the foundation and floor area. The first steel of the structure was set in place on July 14, 2000. A combination of contractor labor, donated materials, and hundreds of hours of donated labor made it possible for the first worship service in the new auditorium to be held on July 29, 2001.
On March 6, 2005 following the example of those who have gone before us, Ten Mile church voted to sponsor a new church plant in Tawas, Michigan. This area in Michigan has no Baptist work. This partnership includes financial assistance as well as several people from Ten Mile traveling to Michigan occasionally to offer support.
PAST PASTORS OF TEN MILE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
John Smith -- J. H. Allen
Terry Waltes -- J. U. Williams
Mark Lee -- J. D. Hooker
Denny Steed -- J. U. Williams
Richard Hart -- G. R. Henson
Frank Brookman -- J. R. Allen
Larry Jones -- J. D. Carr
Kenneth Bain -- G. R. Henson
W. D. Berry -- J. R. Allen
Rudolph L. Schag -- J. D. Carr
Clarence Coats -- G. R. Henson
Rudolph L Schlag -- J. D. Carr
J. B. Maulding -- G. R. Henson
Walker Cutty -- T. V. Dulany
H. C. Croslin -- H. Vise
L. C. Irby -- W. H. Carner
J. B. Maulding -- Henry Cravens
Charles Holland -- Hosea Vise
M. C. Holder -- H. Cravens
J. B. Maulding -- Hosea Vise
J. B. Hall -- C. J. Allen
T. B. Hunt -- H. Vise
J. R. Wagenor -- Joseph Allen
J. R. Mcduffey -- H. Vise
J. B. Maulding -- S. A. Martin
B. O. Denbo -- W. P. Sneed
J. B. Maulding -- H. Vise
F .F. Hedges -- C. R. Pittman
J. B. Hall -- Milton Carpenter
O. J. Bell -- Chester Carpenter