Hamilton County, Illinois
Genealogy and History


L&D Sons
L.D. & Sons

History of Dale, Illinois

By Charles E. Hatton

Donated by George Waring

Pictures Submitted by George Waring


L&D Sons
L.D. & Sons

DALE, ILLINOIS, was a timber town that came into being in the 1870’s.

The Illinois State Atlas of 1876 did not show Dale on the map. It was surrounded on three sides by timber and swampland.

In the early days logs were hauled to the sawmills, on wagons pulled by four horse team's, when the roads in Dale were so muddy the axles of the wagons would drag, in the mud.


Russell Pemberton says in the October, 1966 issue of the Goshen Trails the Shawneetown and Eldorado Railroad Company had been chartered as early as 15 Feb 1855 and were consolidated with the St. Louis and South-eastern Railway Company, Consolidated on 10 Mar 1869. Subsequent consolidation with the Evansville and Southern Illinois Railroad and the Evansville, Carmi and Paducah Railroad by 1 Jan 1872 provided a railroad from East St. Louis, Illinois to Evansville, Indiana via McLeansboro and Carmi, Illinois with branch lines from McLeansboro to Shawneetown and Belleville to O’Fallon.

Reuben Dale seems to have had the first sawmill and was accidentally killed in his sawmill when the boiler blew up. Later when the inhabitants were looking for a name for their settlement it was suggested they call it DALE in memory of the man who lost his life there.

For 43 years Mr. Dale was operator of flour mills, 30 years at McLeansboro and 13 at Dahlgren. He moved to Mt. Vernon in 1924 and for several years was associated with his son, John C. in the automobile business.

Following Rueben Dale in the sawmill industry was George V. Roundtree, who established a sawmill and stave factory. It is said that he shipped a railroad car loaded with lumber to the Mt. Vernon car shops every day.

Map of Dale, 1900

In the early 1880’s the Sierks family came to Dale from Chicago and established a sawmill and furniture factory a short distance south. Their sawmill and factory was destroyed twice by a windstorm and then burned in 1886. They had no insurance, so did not rebuild after the fire, but remained in the community to work as carpenters, building some furniture and farming. They also had a furniture store in McLeansboro.

John Frazier had the first store in Dale and it was located across the road north of the Methodist Church. The building was later moved to make the kitchen of the Orvil Schoolcraft house.

William Riley (Cap) Gallion had a store on the south side of Main Street, about where the Schoolcraft store was and it burned. Thomas S. Hammons came up from Eldorado to visit his sister, Mrs. Gallion and bought half interest in this store in 1895 and sold his interest back to Gallion in two or three years.

Julius Gallion, son of Cap, planted a pound of Star plug tobacco to raise some more. Julius Gallion later had a photograph studio in a building his father built for him just west of the railroad on Main Street. In the Leader for 21 Mar 1907 we find the following: “Julius J. Gallion is remodeling his photo gallery” It is said that Julius Gallion did good work. Still later Hiram Barker ran a restaurant in this building.

George V. Roundtree had a big general store in a building 100 feet long, build by John Sierks in 1900. Later he sold one-half interest to L. W. (Wake) Thomason, then Thompson bought him out.

Lucian Jackson had a store on the north side of Main Street just east of the railroad and the dirt road that paralleled the railroad.

In 1909 Clint Beagle and John Merrell built a store building on the south side of Main Street and operated a store there. Lula (Sierks) Merrill had a milliner shop in the front of this building. In 1912 Tucker Bros. John and Tom, were operating a store in this building. They had a lunch counter where you could get a cheese or bologna sandwich and a cup of coffee. Tom Tucker also repaired shoes.

The Jones brothers, Ed and Jody, bought the Lucian Jackson store and operated it under the firm name of Jones & Jones for a time, until bill Reeves bought them out in 1936.

In 1905 Thomas S. Hammons sold a lot to the Modern Woodmen and they proceeded to build on it. This organization was more or less active until the September 1929 fire destroyed the building, and they were unable to rebuild. In this building many people operated businesses. Among them Allen & Allen, Arthur and Loomis; Walter Cox; John N. Waring, J. C. Jones and probably others.

In 1907 T. S. Hammons sold the lot next to the Woodmen building to Dr. John Arthur Johnson. Dr. Johnson built a building that became known as the Wash Clark Building. Upstairs were his office and the meeting room for the I. O. O. F. lodge. Downstairs was the storeroom occupied at various times by many different people. Among them; Wash Clark, Eli Israel, John N. Waring, John Tucker and Johnay Tucker.

Jim Bond and Orvil Schoolcraft bought a stock of hardware at McLeansboro and moved to Dale. Operated as Bond & Schoolcraft Hardware and Farm Implements for a number of years. In later years he put in a line of groceries. It was said that couldn’t get it at Schoolcraft’s it wasn’t to be had. Some one wanted a pulpit and made a wager he couldn’t get it at Schoolcrafts, but when he inquired Schoolcraft had one.

Another story told is that he had some money in a tin pan that was wired so that when anyone tried to pick up the money they got a shock.

John G. (Dad) Martin was the poultry and egg man, buying poultry, eggs, cream, rabbits, hides and furs for many years. Before the time of refrigerated baggage and freight cars he dressed chickens in the summer time, packed them in barrels with ice and expressed them to New York. His place of business was just across the tracks from the depot. Loren Hunt bought this business and continued it for a time.

John Digby built a small building next to the Jones & Biggerstaff store in which he ran a “Jingo Joint.” In the McLeansboro Times for 19 Aug 1915 is the following item: “John Digby sold his restaurant to Kelley Eduicott. Mr. Digby intends to leave for Arkansas in the near future.” This Building was moved to Dad Martin site and he used it in his business and after a disastrous fire 29 Sept 1929 Ed Jones bought it, moved it back to the north side of Main Street added to it and did business in it until he sold out to Bill Reeves in 1936.

In 1912 Oscar and Walter Harper built what is known as the “Red Barn” just about where the Roundtree Stave Mill had been for the purpose of buying hay and grain. They installed J. C. Hatton as their representative and bought hay and grain and sold feed for several years. Many times I worked in that old Red Barn piling baled hay to the roof when it was hot, loading the hay into railroad cars, stacking sunflower seeds and sewing the sacks, moving wheat from one side of the bin to the other to keep it from molding when it would get too hot. During WWI Mr. Hatton traveled over to Central Illinois to buy hay and ship it to army and the cotton fields.

Cecil and Obe Irvin bought this building and continued the business, dealing in feed, grain and hay.

Jesse Wheeler a licensed barber, operated a barber shop in Dale for five or six years beginning about 1900.

Charles H. Gott, barber, postmaster and schoolteacher operated a barber shop with the post office in it for a number of years about the time of World War I. Later he taught school as he had done before.

Willard “Banty” Harrawood and a man named Harris also barbered in Dale.

John Turner, Hiram Barker, Dave Wooldridge and Herman “Thinrine” Griswold bought livestock and shipped it mostly to National Stock Yards, E. St. Louis, Il.

For several years William Hutcheson operated a feed and grist mill on the banks of what we thought was the old mill pond, but actually was the pond used in the beginning to provide water for the boilers at the Roundtree Stave and sawmill. Mr. Hutcheson would grind your corn meal, or crack it for chicken or stock feed. His charge 10 cents a bushel, or he would take some of the corn as payment.

James Essary operated a feed and grist mill south of Dale for many years. He too charged a nominal fee or took “Toll” of the grain processed. James Essary and his sons, Isaac, Chalen, Marion and Ralph, operated a threshing rig powered by a steam engine. It was quite an experience for there were no what we call improved roads and a few bridges that would support the rig without some reinforcing. After they started threshing red top they were in nearly every home in the area three times during the season, to thresh the wheat, the red top and stock peas.

The Essarys were natural mechanics, during the depression and later too, they bought cars that would not run, repaired and sold them. Anything that would run they didn’t want.

Chalen Essary made a model traction engine of wood to scale model so realistic you expect to see smoke and sparks coming from it. There are holes in the boiler to simulate the tubes, and grates that move. And a scale model separator that really threshes grain. Nearly every year Chalen would garner a little wheat to thresh in this model separator. The Essary’s also operated a sawmill.


Dr. John Arthur Johnson, son of John W. and Louisa Johnson was the first doctor to practice medicine in Dale. In 1907 he built the store building that housed his office. Later he built the house now occupied by Mrs. Eva Edmonds for his home.

Dr. Johnson also had the first automobile in Dale. A model T Ford touring car. According to Opal Lemay it came in on a railroad car.

The story was told of Dr. Johnson receiving a hurry call from a patient west of Dale. The good doctor jumped into his car and sped out of town.

When he went over the railroad tracks his car left the ground and it was 15 feet before it touched down. Well I remember going to Dr. Johnson to get a tooth pulled. He just picked up his forceps, reached in and pulled the tooth without benefit of Novocain.

Dr. Joseph S. Williams practiced medicine at Dale after Dr. Johnson left. He had the reputation of being one of the best read doctors in the county, but advancing years dulled his memory somewhat. I remember one time he made a professional call at our house and forgot his little black bag of pills. I had to take it to him. He would make the call to our house ¾ of a mile north of Dale for $1.50.

Alan Morris operated a grocery store located at the back of
K. L. Endicott lot facing the Main Street road, for three or four years in the early 1940’s. There was a restaurant in a connecting building.

In the early 1900’s John Harrawood ran a moving picture show in the Modern Woodmen building. It is said he had many breakdowns.

Allen Lasater ran a harness shop in the Modern Woodman Building at one time.

Walter Cox built a store building in the front yard of the place in which he lived between Tom Roundtree and Kelley Endicott, west of the railroad and operated a store there. He sold out to Elmer Spence and Lester Bryant. Soon Bryant returned to railroading and left Spence to run the store. Amy Kittinger came in to clerk for him and soon they were married. This building was moved to the north of Main Street where Tom Tucker ran a store before Claude Harrawood tore it down and rebuilt it on the road west of Dale for Nora (Tucker) Barker to live in.

The Louisville and Nashville RR Co. built a depot at Dale about 1913-14. At that time they ran four passenger trains a day- two each way-north at 8:30 a.m. south about 9:30 a. m. north at 3 p.m. and south at 7:53 p.m. Also a local freight train each way daily except Sunday, and frequently an extra freight train ran down and back at night.

On special occasions - county fair time or some special celebration at McLeansboro they ran excursions. On these occasions by the time the train got to Dale they would be standing room only and frequently the platforms between the coaches would be full too.

Some of the agents serving the depot were: Jasper Clark, Hoyt Young, G. F. Carey, Jake Jones, Ray C. Hatton and a man named Lee. Wake Thompson was express agent.


Dale Post Office

Dale Post Office
Dale Post Office

The U. S. Post Office was established May 10, 1882. William R. (Cap) Gallian probably was the first postmaster, followed by G. V. Rountree.

The next place for the post office was the Allen & Allen store in the Woodman Building.

Then C. H. Gott took it to the barber shop and kept it there until 1919.

In 1943 Anna Reeves took over from Mr. Endicott and operated post office and store until 1957 when the store building burned. A building for the post office was rebuilt on the same site and she operated the post office until 1972 when her husband, W. T. Reeves assumed the postmastership.

The post office has been robbed twice since the Reeves have had charge of it, once before the building burned and once since. In the latest robbery the thieves got $322 in postal funds, stamps and personal belongings.


It is said the first blacksmith shop in Dale was operated by Al Dickey, and it was located about where the Christian Church stood so many years just west of this site.

Napoleon Lemay

When I think of blacksmithing in Dale, Napoleon Lemay comes to mind. We get the following from his obituary:

“Napoleon Lemay, son of William and Ruth Lemay, born in Lawrence County, Tennessee, died 16 Mar 1936. He was living at Lexington, Ala. At the start of the Civil War. His family left the south and settled at Dale, Il. He followed the blacksmith trade until ill health forced him to retire. He was living with his son Riley near Marion, Ill., at the time of his death. He was a charter member of Dale Christian Church and was an official of same. He also was a member of the I.O.O. F. Lodge at Dale, and a member of Broughton Masonic Order.”

The rest of the story is related by his daughter Opal…

“When my grandfather lived on the plantation he and his boys did their own blacksmithing. My dad talked about living on a farm in Illinois, so his father must have bought one, or he rented. When I moved from Dale , Ott Turner owned the farm. We went from there to Arkansas, he had a sawmill way back in the woods. Garden and yards were fenced, but livestock and wild animals roamed free, also ticks. My parents realized it was no safe place to raise little children so we moved to Thackery from Arkansas. I can remember my dad had a shop there. I was about four years old. My father and mother were both homesick for Dale so they moved back to Dale and bought some ground from Mr. Roundtree (he owned most of the land around Dale). He built a shop and bought a house south of Dale and had it moved to the place we both remember. I don’t know how many sawmills he had or the dates. He built the shop himself, it was small at first, he kept adding on room and equipment for a helper, then another part for a gasoline engine. We didn’t have electricity then, the engine ran a drill, various saws and other things, don’t recall all. I almost became a blacksmith too, besides the painting of the tools and implements he repaired there was another sad chore. When some one lost a little baby “Uncle Poleon” as every one called him made the little casket. I always helped. He could build and shape just like the ones the morticians sold. My job was to pad the tiny casket, line the inside with white pleated silk. In those days they used black for the outside. The parents furnished the cloth if they could afford it. We didn’t charge for the service.

Uncle Tom Lemay had a shop in the south part of Dale. Wesley and Charley both worked for him and for my dad. Uncle Tom moved to Mt. Vernon, he bought lots for himself and one for each of his children. He had a shop, Wesley and Charlie worked for him. Dale didn’t have a dentist, a farmer would come to the shop and say “Uncle Poleon pull this tooth, haven’t got time to go to McLeansboro.” Dad would pull the tooth with wire pliers. Never lost a patient.

My dad used to take anything the farmers wanted to pay him with- potatoes, pigs, corn, hay, once a cow. One man always paid with apples. Oh I loved to see him come.

My husband worked as assistant blacksmith at a coal mine near Marion, my brother Riley was the blacksmith, he also had a small shop at home. Well the mine shut down. My dad bought a shop at McLeansboro. We rented a house and he lived with us. The mine finally opened, he bought the Lou Rafferty property, built a small shop, worked until he had the stroke. I think he sold that place to Loren Hunt. Riley may have had the tools. An Anvil marks his grave in Digby Cemetery.”

(Picture donated by Kyle Schultz 2007 )


G. C. Endicott bought the first Lemay blacksmith shop and operated it for some time. This was where the present Endicott grocery and filling station is now just behind the Methodist Church.

Ed Harrawood worked for Poleon Lemay as did Wesley Lemay. A Mr. York operated the last blacksmith shop in an old building behind the Schoolcraft store.


Just north of where the post office now stands Clove and Fred Bible of Louisville, Il. owned and operated a hub factory. They also owned and operated hub factories at Ina in Jefferson County, Keyport in Clinton County, Wynoose in Clay County and Wayne City in Wayne County. In each place they operated only two or three years of the fifteen years between 1895 and 1910.

John C. Bible of Louisville Ill. is the son of Clove Bible. His wife was unable to tell just when they operated the factories in the different areas, or why they stayed so short a time in each place, when I talked to her in 1970.

Bill Childers from Louisville, Il. fired the boilers at the Dale factory, and maybe at some of the other places. His son, Doyle Childers lives in Louisville. Mrs. Doyle Childers could not tell anything of the operation of the factories and didn’t think her husband could either.

The factory was located on T. S. Hammons land. Joel Hammons says that he filled the saw pit and pond just a few years ago.

According to Joel Hammons the timber was cut into blocks or short lengths, holes bored lengthwise through them and the ends soaked in linseed oil before they were turned into hubs. Joel says they never turned the hubs at Dale. He can remember seeing stacks of blocks with holes bored through them. There was a switch near the factory where he trains stopped to pick up the product.

Other sources report that the blocks steamed as were the stave bolts, before they were turned into hubs and that they were turned at the Dale factory. That there was a high incidence of accidents and many men were injured while working at the factory.

There was a hub sitting on the framework of the barn on the Bob Essary farm when Obe Irvin bought it. Henry Irvin said that for a long time he thought it was a bird’s nest in the barn, but when he asked about it, was told it was a hub made in the old hub factory at Dale. It is now in Henry’s private museum.

No one seems to know why they moved operations so often. It is surmised that they could use only certain kinds of wood, possibly elm, and that when this timber was all used they moved to another location where the supply was plentiful.


During the reign of Frederick the Great, Charles Sierks and sons Carl Jacob Phillip, Henry, Ernest and John left Northern Germany to avoid conscription into military service, coming to America and Chicago Illinois. Carl Jacob Phillips Sierks was known as Charles Jr. His father will be called Charles Sr.

Accustomed to the timberlands of Northern Germany they were unhappy with the crowded conditions in Chicago. They wanted a sawmill and furniture factory.

Henry being an architect, had stayed in Chicago, and after the failure of the mill and factory Ernest went back to Chicago. Charles Sierks Sr. and his sons, Charles Jr. and John stayed at Dale. Charles Jr. and John farmed, Charles Sr. built a small shop where the mill and factory had been and made furniture for the family. Nearly everyone in the family had some furniture made in the factory or shop at Dale. A chair made by the Sierks belonged to Mrs. Helen Austin of McLeansboro, and she gave it to Don Kreutzinger, a grandson of Charles Sierks Jr.

Charles Sierks Sr. was the master craftsman and did the carving with some help from Ernest and John. Charles Jr. was the mechanic and took care of all the machinery.

It is said they sawed lumber and built a fence around the 80 acres. After the lumber had seasoned they took it down and made furniture with it.

They built a merry-go-round, carving the horses and figures. But it burned when the fire destroyed the mill and factory. Mrs. Marie Kreutzinger, youngest daughter of Charles Sierks Jr. said that she had one of the horses when she was a child. That her father put rockers on it for her. On Christmas day 1978 there was a program on CBS TV about a Mr. Lung of Rochester N. Y. carving horses and figures for a merry-go-round and said it takes two weeks to carve a horse out of wood.

When her son a commander in the Navy was stationed in Germany, Mrs. Kreutzinger spent three weeks there. She found the church where the family worshipped but was unable to find anything more pertaining to the family. Mrs. Glenn (Clara Shanel Haldeman, daughter of Charles Sierks Jr. says her daughter spent a year in Europe and tried to trace the family in Germany. She found many Sierks (Siercks as it is spelled before the family came to America but could find no connection with her family. She even found a town named Sierksdorf.

The Sierks designed and supervised construction of the Methodist Church of Dale. It is said Henry Sierks was the architect for the State Hospital at Anna, Il. and that his name plate is on the door.

The trains stopped at the mill and factory south of Dale to pick up lumber and furniture.

Charles Sierks Sr. lived to be 92 years of age, John died at 38 years and Charles Jr. died in 1923. All three are buried in Digby Cemetery near Dale.

The memory of a family talented craftsmen lingers on.


Hamilton County Telephone Co-operative is a government sponsored organization such as REA, and it took six years to get the job done. Main office is at Dahlgren, with exchanges at Belle Prairie, Belle Rive, Blairsville, Broughton, Dahlgren, Dale and Macedonia.


We don’t know how many stave mills and sawmills operated at Dale about the turn of the century. Rueben Dale had the first one it is assumed. One owned and operated by Perry St. Clair and L. W. (Wake) Thompson was located about one-half mile north of Dale adjacent to the L& N Railroad tracks, on land leased from John Merrell. When my parents purchased the Henry Mann place in 1912, some railroad ties were still in place where there had been a side track from the railroad to the mill. And the mill pond was there on the railroad right-of-way.

Another mill owned and operated by George V. Roundtree was located in what might be said to be the heart of the village. No one seems to know just when it was established or who started it. It could have been George V. Roundtree or it might have been Ruben Dale, but that it was operated before 1900 is conceded. Just when it ceased to operate is not clear either, but as late as 1910 there were sheds, sawdust piles and some machinery still in the sheds. And the mill pond that furnished water for the steam boiler was there too.

Roundtree operated a large general store. Part of the old store building stands today. In its heyday it was a hundred feet long. Later he sold out to L. W. (Wake) Thompson, who was operating the store in 1912 and continued to do so through the first World War. I remember when a local man painted this building from a ladder, when he finished you could see just how far he could reach when on the ladder. Evidence of this paint job is visible today.

Dale was a timber town, nearly surrounded by much swampy land covered with good timber, it was ideal setting for this type of industry. Men went into the woods when the swamps were froze, cut and stacked the lumber to be hauled out when conditions permitted. There were multiple hitch teams that pulled wagons loaded with logs out of the swamps and through the streets of Dale when the mud was so deep the axels would drag.

Men working in the timber and the saw and stave mills were a rough and ready lot. The story is told that one time Jack Roundtree thought that Ratio Campbell was getting a little too conceited and he proposed to put him in his place, but received a sound thrashing for his pains.

Charlie Edmonds said that he began working in the stave mill at age of five. His job was to bundle the staves, putting 32 staves to each bundle, for which he received 10 cents a thousand and could bundle eight or nine thousand a day.

A stave bolt was a length of a log cut to the size for making staves. This stave bolt was steamed for 12 to 14 hours in a hot box so that it could be cut or processed.

The hot box was built like the ice houses of the day. Thick walls filled with sawdust to hold the steam until the bolts were softened enough that they might be cut to proper thickness for the staves.

A large knife was fastened to a table and the stave bolt moved against it to accomplish this cutting operation if the operator got his hand or fingers under the knives they were cut off as were the staves. Quite often the men doing this work had fingers and even a hand missing.

Ed Tucker of McLeansboro says that a log rolled on his uncle Woody Tucker, at the St. Clair mill 23 Dec 1896, killing him. Date of his death is verified on his monument in the Gholson Cemetery. This would indicate the mill was in operation before 1900, and may have operated as late as 1910. Eva Edmonds says they only operated two or three years.

Jasper Morris was a stave joiner; Charles Edmonds baled 52 staves in a bundle; Ves St. Clair joined staves; Newt Freeman was a cutter; Grace Williams laid up staves.

Names of other people who worked in the stave mills were: Ratio Campbell, Willis Mick, Riley Edmonds, Tom Taylor, Charles Taylor, Joe Funkhouser, Len Funkhouser, Tom Tucker, Frank Tucker, John Merrell and Curt Williams.

Additional Information:

Charles Elmer Hatton Times-Leader Sept 23, 1976: Died Sept 17, 1976 Age 74y resident of Danville formerly of Hamilton County son of John Charles & Mary CAREY Hatton. Married Arlena Jane Melton of Carmi died 1972. Married 2nd Elsie Allen. Funeral in Danville.

Rueben Dale, McLeansboro Times Oct 28, 1878 -- Killed by Explosion of Rueben Dale’s sawmill on Saturday morning.

John Frazier, Leader, June 8, 1899 -- one of the oldest residents of county died June 2, 1899 home near Dale.

Orvil Schoolcraft, Times-Leader Feb 19, 1953: b. Oct 8, 1873 Hamilton Co. died Feb 5, 1953, home of son in Chicago, he was the son of James & Sarah Ann Schoolcraft. Married Daisy COMBS Nov 1, 1899 4 children 2 died interred at Hickory Hills.

Captain William Riley Gallian, Times June 12, 1930 --- born May 1, 1840 Equality Gallitin Co., Il. died May 25, 1930 home in Garuthersville Mo. Served in the Civil War. In 1866 opened a mercantile store at Dale Il, postmaster to 1906. About 1912 moved with son J. J. Gallian to Poplar Bluff Mo. Married 4 times Survived by widow Mrs. Evans Gallian 2 sons and 1 daughter.

George Volney Roundtree, Times-Leader Feb 8, 1934 -- Born Aug 8, 1848 near Nashville, Il. died Feb 4, 1934 in the home of daughter Mrs. Frank Donelson, Mt. Vernon; son of Erasmus & Polly FRIEND Roundtree. Married Minerva Caroline MUSGRAVES Apr 14, 1877 she died 1924 9 children 3 died infancy interred Digby Cemetery.

John Merrell, Times-Leader Apr 11, 1946 -- born Dec 9, 1871 near Dale died Mar 31, 1946 son of Thomas & Elizabeth DIGBY Merrell. Married Anna Schoolcraft June 27, 1892, 5 children interred Digby Cemetery.

Thomas Sion Hammons, Times-Leader Mar 21, 1940 -- Born Apr 22, 1861 died Mar 11, 1940 home in Dale; son of Joel E. & Mary Ann MILLER Hammons, Married Celia HARGRAVE Nov 3, 1895 3 children Interred Digby Cemetery.

Dr. John Arthur Johnson, Times-Leader Oct 11, 1951 -- Born May 20, 1882 died Oct 10, 1951 hospital in St, Louis Mo. Son of John Washington & Nancy Louisa HARRELSON Johnson. Married Nora WARD who died; 2 children 1 son Donald Johnson who survives & 1 daughter who died at age 4 Married 2nd Louise Miller who survived him. Interred I. O. O. F. McLeansboro.

Oscar P. Harper Times-Leader June 21, 1951 -- b. Aug 4, 1877 died hospital in Houston Texas funeral June 17, 1951 Interred Ten Mile Cemetery. Spent most of life in Hamilton County but lived 8 years in Baytown Texas. Married Nov 30, 1898 Emma ANDERSON (Times Jan 29, 1931) born May 1, 1874 died Jan 20, 1931 daughter of Wilburn & Winifred ALLEN Anderson.

John Charles Hatton Times-Leader Nov 29, 1934 -- Born Jan 22, 1863 Guernsy Co. Ohio died Nov 23, 1934 home near Dale; son of James and Jane Hatton family moved to Iowa he came to Dale at age 28, Married Miss Mary Carey Dec 28, 1893 7 children Interred Mar’s Chapel.

James H. Hatton (Leader June 24, 1897) -- Born Apr 17, 1820 Virginia died June 17, 1897 home in Hamilton Co. English descent; uncle of the late Postmaster General Frank Hatton. Moved to Noble Co., Ohio 1833 did cabinet work in Senecaville Ohio; married Jane W. Dilley May 24, 1844 4 sons 5 daughters 7 survive; moved to Guernsey Co., Ohio to Poweshier Co., Iowa, 1881; moved to Hamilton Co., 1888.

Jane DILLEY Hatton (Leader July 29, 1897) -- Died July 22, 1897 75y 2m 2d home of daughter Alice A. Rhodes widow of J. H. Hatton who died 35 days ago.

Obe Irvin, Times-Leader June 14, 1945 -- Born Dec 5, 1874 Hamilton Co., Il. died June 4, 1945 son of Albert and Caroline ROBERTS Irvin married Lola Davis March 4, 1897 she died in 1925 4 children. Married 2nd Feb 9, 1926 Mrs. Lora Niksch interred Hickory Hills Cemetery.

Herman Griswold, Times-Leader Dec 26, 1957 -- Born Nov 23, 1887, Saline County died Dec 6, 1957; son of John & Sophronia ROBERTS Griswold. Father died about 1890 mother remarried William Henry Davis. Married Oct 22, 1914 Amby Wooldridge, left wife and 2 sons & 2 daughters. Interred Hickory Hills

James Essary, Times-Leader Apr 27, 1950 -- Born Sept 12, 1889 in Hamilton County died Apr 20, 1950 hospital in Eldorado married Mary Edna TROUT Mar 30, 1900 (Times-Leader May 11, 1961) Mary Edna Trout Essary born Sept 16, 1883 died Apr 17, 1961 daughter of Richmond & Nancy SCHOOLCRAFT Trout. James and Mary are interred in the Digby Cemetery

Chalen Essary, Times-Leader Oct 31, 1974 -- Born Jan 2, 1903 Hamilton Co. died Oct 27, 1974 in McLeansboro resident of Dale son of James & Mary TROUT Essary. Married Pearl Southard interred Digby Cemetery

James ISAAC Essary, Times Leader June 18, 1936 -- Born Oct 13, 1901 died June 13, 1936 son of James & Mary TROUT Essary married Sept 18, 1926 Verna Marie Southers, 5 children Verna Marie daughter of William & Rosa WHITE Southard was born May 11, 1903 and died Jan 15, 1971 both are interred Digby cemetery.

Kelly Lee Endicott, Times-Leader Sept 16, 1971 -- Born Apr 6, 1889 Saline Co. died Aug 3, 1971 son of George Cavit & Gilla Jane NASH Endicott. Married Feb 19, 1914 Grace BETTS Interred Digby Cemetery

Thomas Darwin Roundtree, Times-Leader Oct 27, 1960 -- Born Dec 11, 1879, Dale died Oct 22, 1960 son of George Volney & Minerva Caroline MUSGOVE Roundtree. Married Minnie SHARP (Times-Leader Aug 21, 1969) daughter of William Henry & Emma J, JOHNSON Sharp born Dec 12, 1880 Owensville Indiana and died Aug 19, 1969 both are Interred in Digby Cemetery

Claude Harrawood, Times-Leader Sept 3, 1981 -- Born Feb 27, 1904 Hamilton Co., Il. died Aug 29, 1981 hospital in McLeansboro, son of Samuel & Della FIELDS HARRAWOOD married Dollie HUTCHESON interred Digby Cemetery

Charles Sierks Sr. Times Feb 16, 1911 -- Born in Germany died Feb 11, 1911 home in Dale interred Dale Cemetery.

John F. Sierks, Times July 16, 1903 -- Died June 29, 1903 44y 11m 9d born Meldorf, Germany interred Digby Cemetery

Charles Sierks Jr. Times Dec 29, 1921 -- b. Aug 31, 1848 Holstein Germany d. Dec 22, 1921 home 1 mile south of Dale. Son of Charles & Maria cmae to the U. S. 1867 married 1876 in Chicago to Miss Louise SOHLE married 2nd Mrs. Minnie Hamm in 1905

Absalom A. Lasater Times Oct 2, 1924 -- Died Sept 28, 1924 82y son of James & Barbara J. BUMGARNER Lasater. 1st Lt. Co. H. 1555th Il. Vol Inf. in the Civil War. Married Feb 16, 1871 Alice F. ALLEN born June 5, 1853 died June 12, 1885 daughter of Joseph and Mary Allen 2 children (Leader June 18, 1885) married a second time to Rella Maulding daughter of Walter Burbank & Lucy Bell BARNETT Maulding who died in Lancaster Pa. Oct 1951 (Times-Leader Oct 18, 1951) both A. A. & Rella are interred in I. O. O. F. McLeansboro

Charles A. Edmonds Times-Leader June 14, 1973 -- Born June 4, 1892 Puxico Mo. Died June 8, 1973 hospital in McLeansboro resident of Dale son of James & Nancy DAVIS Edmonds married Jan 15, 1913 Eva Merrell interred in Digby Cemetery

Edward Tucker Times-Leader Jan 19, 1978 -- Born Mar 9, 1910 Hamilton Co. died Jan 16, 1978 home in McLeansboro son of Thomas & Eva EDMONDS Tucker married May 30, 1931 Grace Wheeler. Interred Digby cemetery.

Jasper Lawson Morris Time-Leader Dec 22, 1988 -- Born Mar 22, 1918 Hamilton Co., died Dec 17, 1988 John Conrad VA Hospital St. Louis MO. Son of Fred Marion & Ethel LAWSON Morris Married Oct 1, 1938 Mary Ellen Lewis, Interred I. O. O. F. McLeansboro


Visit our National Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails