Jackson County, Illinois
Jackson County Era
Friday, Jan 23, 1891
Donated by Shauna Williams
From the Commercial review Published by the Egyptian real Estate and Investment Company.
Murphysboro, Illinois, was laid out originally on a twenty acre lot, which is nearly identical with that described as the east half of the southwest quarter of section four, town nine, south, range two west of the third principal meridian and which was donated for the purpose of founding the village by Dr. John LOGAN, father of Gen’l John A. LOGAN, of Illinois.
The village was name in honor of Mr. William C. MURPHY, who was one of the commissioners in selecting the site.
Murphysboro became the county sear in the year 1843, Brownsville, the former county seat, having been deserted from its want of facilities and its distance from the centre of the county. Murphysboro was chosen because it was near the centre of the county, of a more healthful situation than the former town, and the fact that it could be more easily approached from all directions. In those early times, when bridges were less often found than now, Big Muddy River was quite an item in the transportation of goods.
The Court House at Brownsville was burned in 1843 and was, in the following year, rebuilt in Murphysboro, which place has been the capital since then.
The town continued under village government until 1867, when it was of such a population as to warrant to a charter as an incorporated city. Accordingly it was organized under a special act of the Legislature of 1867. The incorporation is situated on a part of sections three, four, five, eight and nine of town nine south, range two west of the third principal meridian, and part of sections thirty-two, thirty-three and thirty-four of town eight south, range two west, in Jackson county. The whole of the incorporation is not laid out as yet in blocks and streets but since the plat was adopted many additions have been made.
The attention of capitalists was early called to the cast coal deposits in Jackson county, and especially around Murphysboro; as being the best and the most marketable coal in the west. There are now in active operation several extensive shafts, all within a mile of the city and producing thousands of tons of coal each week. The coal produced is that known as Big Muddy and is considered the very best in the country, bringing a far larger price than any other coal in the market. Murphysboro, like all other villages, was possessed of primitive customs and people.
The stores were few and not by any means wealthy. Every storekeeper was obliged to keep in stock a little of almost every sort of merchandise. As the town grew, so grew the stores; today we have as fine stores as can be found in Southern Illinois. There are, at present doing business, not less than seventy stores; of those, four are hardware stores; six clothing stores; three drug stores; three, blacksmith and wagon shops; three, farming implement establishments; twenty-one, saloons; seven regular hotels, besides a number of boarding houses, five, restaurants, three lumber companies, three brick yards; two banks, one National Bank and one a private bank; two cigar factories; five barber shops; two harness shops; two mills; four butcher shops; two harness shops; two tailor shops; one soda factory, besides a number of tin ships and general repair shops.
Mr. KENNEDY has just has just completed a first class creamery with an extensive capacity and well equipped throughout in the best manner.
ALEXANDER Bros. have, on the M&O R.R. a machine shop and foundry. They are prepared to do all kinds of castings and machine work.
Murphysboro’s Brewing Company and Ice Plant combined in quite a large concern. They manufacture what is known as the Murphysboro beer; their trade is not limited to Murphysboro, but to the surrounding cities. They also manufacture about twenty-five tons of ice per day.
The Logan House is considered one of the finest hotels in Southern Illinois, a three story brick, built in the most substantial manner regardless of cost. There are fifty rooms, all well ventilated, all rooms supplied with warm and cold water. The house is well lighted by gas and electric light and heated throughout by steam.
The Lucier Opera house block is among the finest in Southern Illinois , was completed in 1890. Mr. LUCIER has given Murphysboro one of the finest opera houses in the State. The house will seat
1, 000 comfortably, is well equipped with folding chairs, the state is large and answers all demands, the scenery is as fine as any in the State. The house is heated by steam and has electric lights.
The religious and educational interest of the city are excellently represented by a number of first class school buildings and church edifices, all in a flourishing condition. The population of Murphysboro within the present city limits is about 5,000.
Within the last few years the city has grown to such proportions that an extension of the city limits will no doubt follow as a matter of necessity when the number will be increased to at least 6,000 people. When it is remembered that only eighteen months ago the population was only 3,000, it will be readily seen that there is a very rapid growth of the city.
Progress is certainly the watch word of our citizens, as can be evidenced by the many improvements within the period mentioned. With the energy, thrift and public enterprise which Murphysboro possesses there can scarcely be a doubt that it is destined to be the leading city of Southern Illinois.
Murphysboro is quite a railroad centre, as it is reached by three first-class lines; Mobile & Ohio, Cairo Short Line and Grand Tower &C Carbondale, rendering easy of access all the principal points north, south, east and west. No city of its size has any better shipping facilities or more natural advantages. Its citizens are wide-awake, enterprising and energetic.
Murphysboro is surrounded by the very best in farming lands, adopted to the raising of stock, wheat, corn, clover, grasses and small fruits. Here are also located the St. Louis Ore & Steel Co. and the Mobile and Ohio rail Road Shops, which are of great benefit to the city giving employment to scores of skilled workmen. The city is also supplied with an excellent system of water works. It has one of the finest electric light plants in the state; also a good system of sewerage. All of these enterprises are of recent growth. As a place of residence it is unsurpassed, as all the conveniences that make life happy and pleasant can here be had. As a manufacturing centre its facilities and resources are almost unlimited, and it must in time develop into one of the leading manufacturing towns of the state.
Miss Millie KUHLE is in Cairo visiting friends.
Mrs. Dr. ESSICK is visiting relatives at Carbondale this week.
Drive dull care away by seeing Si PLUNKARD at the Opera house tonight.
Si PLUNKARD tonight at the Opera house will make you laugh and feel happy.
Miss Daisy TURNER, who has been quite ill for several weeks, was able to be out this week.
Miss Mattie BOSTON is attending to the public at Boston & Fielding’s store in the Quering building.
Mr. and Mrs. Thos. GRAY, of Bloomington, this state, are the guests of Mrs. C.F. SMITH, of this city.
Our friend, Robt. BEASLEY, was in town Wednesday consoling republican on the senatorial question.
John MARTELLE, for some time engaged in St. Louis, arrived home last Saturday and will take a vacation here.
Mr. Isaac RAPP, of Carbondale, has the contract for the erection of the Short Line buildings at this point.
Jas. HARRIS, an employee at Garrison No. 4, was caught by a slight fall of coal yesterday and somewhat bruised.
Mr. Harry LODGE, who has been in western Missouri for some time, is visiting his brother, Mr. Frank LODGE, of this city.
Rev. LITTELL is holding a protracted meeting at the M. E. church. The attendance nightly being encouraging to the pastor.
Dr. W. J. FAIN is absent in St. Louis visiting his daughter, Mrs. Minnie MCMEIVEY, who has been quite ill during the past months.
Rev. J. L. HAMMOND, the new pastor of the Lutheran church, and wife are expected to arrive in this city today. They will, for the present, make their home with the family of C.C. SMITH.
The finest fresh oysters in the city and are now to be found at Teeter’s restaurant in the Schneider building. Mr. TEETER knows what the public wants, and therefore is making a grand success of his establishment.
Married, at the home of the bride, January 1, 1891, by Rev. J. K. MONTGOMERY, Mr. Robt. KEARUS, of Murphysboro, and Miss Emma DICKEY, of near Sparta. The happy pair will make their future home in Murphysboro.--(Sparta Plain dealer)
"The Amatuer Journal" is the title of a smallest specimen of a weekly we have yet seen. The Journal is issued every Saturday at Campbell Hill by C. E. SCHWARTZ and O. R. CLENDENIN, size of page 4 1/2 by 3 inches and it is liable to be lost in the mail.
Rev. Carrie NICHOLS arrived in our city yesterday, being the guest of Dr. W.?. INGRAM and wife. This lady has, in the past awaked a deep feeling in religion and during her present visit will assist at the meetings now being held at the M. E. Church, commencing tonight.
Marion WILLIAMS, a loader employed at the Harrison shaft, north of this city, met with quite a painful accident last Saturday, being caught between a loaded box of coal and a mine prop. He is doing as well as could be expected and will soon be able to resume work.
Manager CANNON in securing "Our Country Cousin" for Tuesday night, certainly scored a triumph. The company so far have only appeared in the larger cities and next week devote their time to Cairo, coming from there here, thence to Alton, Springfield and Terre Haute, Murphysboro being the smallest city on their route.
Makanda Post, No. 280, G.A.R., held a public installation at their hall in Makanda last Saturday night. The following officers were installed:
Wm. GOODWIN, Commander.
Izri HAGLER, Sr. Vice Com.
T. P. TERWILLIGER, Jr. Vice Com.
J. H. CRIDER, Chaplain.
T. L. BAILEY, Quatermaster
G. W. PALMER, Officer of the Day.
Dan LENCE, Officer of the Guard.
H. C. HOBERT, Adjutant.
Thos. HAGLER, Sergt. Major.
Frank JONES, the well known "Si PERKINS", opened a two nights engagement at the Music Hall Friday evening, presenting the new play "Our Country Cousin." The piece is one of the best that Mr. JONES has ever given to the public and in his character of "Jason Wheatley." Mr. JONES keeps the audience in laughter all the time; more especially in the second act, which represents his first appearance in the city. The railroad scene at the stone quarry is exciting one and the mechanical arrangements were all that could be wished. The company supporting Mr. JONES is a strong one.--(Lynn, Mass., Daily Bee)
See Frank JONES next Tuesday night at the Lucier Opera house. Reserved seats now on sale at the Square Deal Clothing House.
HAGERSTEIN-REESE IN this city, at the parlors of the Laclede Hotel, Tuesday evening, Jan. 20th, 1891, at 8 o’clock, by Rev. LITTLE, Mr. John HAGELSTEIN to Mrs. Mary REESE.
This week the time of the circuit court has been mostly taken up with the case of Wm. TURK against the Gartside Coal Co. TURK, a mere lad, had his arm crusher in some of the machinery at the Gartside mines and sued for damages, placing his case in the hands of R.J. STEPHENS, after a very close contest the jury returned a verdict for $8,000.
A special grand jury considered the case of Henry THOMAS, who murdered his wife at Carbondale on Christmas day. An indictment being returned THOMAS was brought into court and plead guilty and was sentenced to the penitentiary for life.
"To Be or Not To Be."
Marriage licenses Issued.
Jan. 9-E. JERNIGAN and Ollie E. ELLIOTT.
Jan. 10-J. W. GREENNEY and Jennie GARRETT.
Jan. 12-A. C. BETTS and Alice F. SPENCE. Jasper MCDANIEL and Mary Alice BELT. Jasper GRISSOM and Ellen TAYLOR.
Jan. 16-Daniel BILDERBACK and Millie C. JACKSON
Jan. 17-Frank H. MASON and Margaret A. BUSH. Joseph SMITH and Elizabeth MURDOCK.
Jan. 19-Geo. W. CLIFTON and Anna BLAIR.
Jan. 20-John HAGELSTEIN and Mary REESE. T. K. MACKEY and Emma M. MONTGOMERY. John L. PYATT and Alice GREEN.
Rev. WILSON is holding a protracted meeting at this place.
Quite a number of our young men went home alone last Sunday night.
One of our young men sold his interest in a young lady for a cigar the other evening.
School is progressing nicely.
The families of Mr. JEROME and Mr. HAYS have both been increased by the addition of a son, all are doing well.
Weather cold and roads bad.
Work in the mines good. 108 tons hoisted in 10 hours a few days ago.
Farmer think this will be a good crop year on account of the young folks being so busy building new houses and so happy in their new homes.
He says he will bring her home when his house is finished.
Ben has been looking for a bell for some time. Don’t give up Ben.
It is a wonder how Ed can work so hard after losing so much sleep.
I don’t like for Young MODARK to get hump shouldered, so he can wear what he pleases.
C. OGALES and wife visited friends in DeSoto township last Sunday.
Did you get that book last Sunday, Ike?
WRIGHT, how is that lame foot since you got that subscription?
©copyright 2008-2013 by Genealogy Trails