Genealogy Trails

Jackson County, Illinois

Ava Advertiser

Death Notices 1890

Coroner Knauer was called to Murphysboro on Thursday evening of last week, to hold an inquest on the body of ROBERT E. FAKES, who death resulted from injuries received while walking on the track of Cairo Short Line Railroad, near Carbondale.  MR. FAKES was 76 years old and a resident of Carbondale.

Coroner Knauer was called to Murphysboro on Monday to hold an inquest on the body of a MRS. HUDSON, a widow woman who died from the effects of poison.  It was thought at first that the poison might have been administered by someone interested in concealing a crime.  But the testimony at the inquest developed the fact that the deadly draught was administered by the deceased herself.

A child of MR. TURNER HOLLIDAY who resides near Ora, met with a horrible death on Wednesday of this week.  The particulars as near as we have been able to learn are as follows:  MRS. TURNER HOLLIDAY went a short distance to call on a neighbor, leaving her two little girls, aged ten and eight years respectively and a baby at home.  She told the older girl to dress the baby while she was gone.  The child in dressing the baby sat down on the hearth of the stove and her clothing caught fire.  As soon as she found she was on fire she handed the baby to her younger sister and ran screaming into the yard.  The cries attracted the attention of her mother who ran as quickly as possible to her assistance.  But by the time her mother reached her almost her entire clothing was burned from her body.  Medical aid was summoned and every thing possible was done.  But death resulted in a few hours after.

**POSSIBLE DEATH**  MR. THOMAS BARTON, while engaged in doing some grubbing for C. DUTCH, near Bryden junction on last week, set fire to a tree that was dead and proceeded with his work of grubbing, not paying any particular attention to the tree fired.  After a while the fire eat it's way through the trunk of the tree and fell.  MR. BARTON happening to be working near at the time was caught under it and held fast.  MR. BARTON failing to come in the evening, parties went in search of him and found him about 8 o'clock under the tree where he had lain from about 4 o'clock in the evening.  At the time he was found he was speechless, and on account of the injuries, received there is little hope of his recovery.


MR. S. K. WILLIAMS received a letter this week from Thompsonville, Franklin county, this state, informing him of the death at that place of his sister, MRS. MENERVA CRILEY.  MRS. CRILEY formerly lived in this county near Shiloh Hill, where she had a large circle of friends and acquaintances who will regret to learn of her death.  At the time of her death deceased was in her fifty-second year.

MRS. JOHNSON a lady living in the Mississippi bottom died here last Monday of a disease known as purpura hemorrhagic. This is a disease of the blood and blood vessels, in which there is a tendency to bleed.  The vessels break under the skin and the blood runs out, forming a black or blue spot under the skin.  There is bleeding from the mucous membranes of the stomach and bowels.  This lady had bleeding from the stomach. As the lady had a tooth pulled it was thought of the case, it was found to be a mistake.  The bleeding was from the stomach and she belched the blood up.  The lady had been bleeding several days gradually.  This was a peculiarly sad case on account of her being the mother of eight children at home.

At the residence of A. O. GENUNG in Campbell Hill, on Friday evening, February 14th, 1890, JAMES HART, from a severe attack of the La Grippe complicated with pneumonia, died.  Deceased was born in London, England, in 1833, being at the time of his death in the 57th year of his age.  The death of JAMES HART removes from our midst a man who has been a familiar person to the people in this community and the surrounding country for years.  And while the deceased was a man of eccentric disposition still he had one of the kindliest hearts and in his way probably did as much as anyone, for a person in need of assistance.  He was a man of positive opinions, and of wide information on almost any question.  and though he leaves no immediate family, his absence from a community where he was so well known for years, will cause more than one regret. His remains were laid to rest in Looney Springs Cemetery on Saturday afternoon.

On February 1st, 1890, at the residence of his son, W. G. WAGNER, of this place, JOHN N. WAGNER, died, aged 72 years, 6 months and 23 days.  Deceased was taken with pneumonia about three weeks previous to his death.  Owing to his age; which had gone beyond the scriptural allotment of human life, his system did not possess the recuperative powers to resist the force of the disease.  MR. WAGNER was born July 23rd, 1817, in Loraine, France, near the river Rhine, and emigrated to this country with his parents in the latter part of 1832.  Landing at Charleston, South Carolina, Dec 31st 1832;  he remained at Charleston about six months, then moved to Maryland, near Baltimore, where he remained but a short time; from there he went to Franklin County, Penn. where he served an apprenticeship as tanner and currier.  On Dec 25th 1837 he was united in marriage to MISS LYDIA KUMP.  He moved to Perryville, MO, in 1848 where he lived until 1872 when he moved to Ava, IL and lived with his son, WM. G. WAGNER, until his death.  He was at his death and had been through life an active member of the Roman Catholic church; he only survived his wife about two years; he leaves to mourn his loss four sons and nineteen grand-children.  Funeral services were held on Monday morning, conducted by Rev. Father Schaurte, of Murphysboro.  the remains followed by one of the largest funeral processions ever witnessed in Ava, were laid for their final rest beside those of his wife, in the Ava Evergreen Cemetery.

Under cards of thanks in the same issue:  Through the columns of the Ava Advertiser, we wish to return our sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for their many acts of kindness and assistance shown during the late illness and death of our dear father.  Signed:  W. G. WAGNER, P. J. WAGNER, J. F. WAGNER and J. J. WAGNER.

FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 1890

The death of COLONEL BEN WYLIE, whose funeral occurred at Makanda, this county, on last Saturday, removes a man who has been a prominent figure in the affairs of Southern Illinois and Jackson County for years past.  In 1876 he was the candidate of his party, for Congress from this district and was defeated by the HON. WM. HARTZELL, of Randolph County, by a majority of less than thirty votes.  Several years ago COL. WYLIE was stricken with paralysis while sitting in his chair at the Bastine Hotel in Murphysboro, for the effects of which he never entirely recovered, and it is probably that his death was hastened by that cause.  COL. WYLIE possessed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.


Coroner Knauer was kept busy holding inquests last week.  He was called to Grand Tower to hold the inquest on the bodies of those who were killed at this place by the cyclone, and on last Friday he was called to hold an inquest on the body of a man found dead in the Mississippi bottoms, whose death was supposed to result from a blow on the head received at the hands of GEO GARRETT in a row the day before.

Died at the residence of her son, RUBEN HISER, in Levan township, on March 27, 1890, MRS. HANNAH HISER, aged 60 years.  The deceased had left her home and gone to that of her son, RUBEN, to assist in waiting on him, he being dangerously ill, and while thus engaged in the manifestation of a mother's love, she herself contracted a severe case of pneumonia resulting in her death.  She was born, and reared in Jackson County, and has resided all her life within a short distance of Ava.  She leaves surviving her nine children, six daughters and three sons, all grown.  Her husband proceeded her over the mystic river some years ago.  Funeral services, conducted by REV. M. A. SHREWSBERRY, were held on Friday afternoon and the remains, followed by her mourning children and a large concourse of sorrowing friends, were laid to their last resting place in the Modglin burial ground one mile west of town.


MRS. GEO. KNOPE of Campbell Hill died Wednesday morning at 8 o'clock, after a protracted illness.

A heart-sickening accident occurred in the eastern suburbs of Ava last Friday evening, in which the life of a blessed little child was crushed out and a happy home saddened.  As the 3:20 passenger train, north bound, came thundering toward our depot, little BENNIE, two year old child of MR. and MRS. JASON LUFKIN was playing on the track, and the engineer seeing the situation at once reversed his engine but not however in time to save the life of the innocent little child, for the engine, tender and front trucks of the baggage car passed over the child completely severing both legs from the body and bruising the head. The mangled form was carried to the home of the parents, and all aid possible rendered, but life left the body in a few hours and all suffering ended.  Coroner Knauer held an inquest over the body Saturday noon and the train men were present to give their testimony.  Engineer THORNTON testified that when about five car lengths from the child he seen an object on the track, immediately reversed his engine and used every possible means, but the distance was so short that he could not stop his train in less space than he did.  Conductor WM. KEEFE testified that nothing was left undone to stop the train at once, and that the stop made in this instance was the shortest he had ever remembered witnessing on the M. & O. RR under such a rate of speed.  VERDICT OF THE CORONER'S JURY:  We, the undersigned, jurors, sworn to inquire of the death of BENJAMIN H. LUFKIN, on oath do find that he came to his death by being run over by engine No. 29, train No.2, on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad on the 18th day of April 1890, cutting off both legs which caused it's death, which was an unavoidable accident, and no blame to be attached to the engineer fireman or officers of the train... ? NEWELL, M.D. Foreman, THOMAS SMITH, JOHN F. EASTERLY, J. P. HARWARD, F. D. LEWIS and W. B. HARRIS, Clerk.  The funeral took place Saturday evening from the residence and a large concourse of sorrowing friends followed the remains to the King cemetery where innocent little Bennie was lowered to rest.  In this their hours of deepest sorrow MR. and MRS. LUFKIN have the sympathy of the people of Ava and vicinity.

DAVE GRAFF died at his home in Ora township at 1 o'clock last Monday night of liver trouble after an illness of three months, Aged 29 years, 4 months and 28 days.  Deceased was a son of MR. JACOB GRAFF and was a promising young man and prosperous farmer, a kind husband, father and neighbor and a citizen ever ready to assist his fellow man and advance his neighborhood in the progress of today.  He leaves a loving companion, one child and a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn his loss.  Interment took place at Pleasant Hill cemetery in Levan township yesterday in presence of a large concourse of friends.

On Friday of last week MR. HOUSE, a German residing near Webb school house, Perry County, attempted to catch and bridle a pair of mules running in an open lot.  He was seen to drive them in a corner below a hill, when they turned suddenly and ran to the opposite side of the lot, but MR. HOUSE did not follow them up.  A bystander observed this and guessing the possible result ran to the spot and found the old gentleman lying prostrate on the ground.  He gasped a couple of times and died.  A postmortem examination revealed that he had received a kick upon the right breast near the shoulder which turned him suddenly breaking his neck.

FRIDAY MAY 2, 1890

J. W. SNIVELY, a stranger, while driving with horse and buggy at Pomona, Wednesday of last week, was thrown from his buggy and his neck broken, causing instant death.  The deceased had a certificate of membership in the State Pharmacy of this State.  He was a man of 5 feet, 10 inches high, about 50 years of age, a fine-looking gentleman, with large flowing whiskers and well dressed.  Certificate and letters were the only evidence of his identity (Murphysboro Independent).

The wife of JOHN CALDWELL, who was living on the farm of B. B. VARNUM in the bottoms died suddenly of brain trouble on last Monday night.  Her remains were interred in the Ava Evergreen cemetery on Wednesday afternoon.

FRIDAY MAY 23, 1890

EMMA, daughter of TROY and NANCY MODGLIN, died at the residence of her parents, one and a half miles southeast of Ava, Sunday morning, May 18th, 1890 at 9 o'clock.  Aged 18 years.  Deceased had been afflicted with spinal trouble throughout her life and it was but natural for friends and neighbors to lover her and in her death the community mourns over the loss of a dear one.  She expressed her willingness to passover the river of death, and asked her parents and friends to meet her in the home beyond.  Interment took place at the King grave yard Monday.  MR. and MRS. MODGLIN have the sympathy of our citizens.


LOUIE WEBKEMEYER died at his home in Bradley township, May 22, 1890 of fever trouble, after an illness of seven weeks and 3 days, aged about 65 years.  Deceased was an F. M. B. A. man and a prosperous farmer.  He leaves a loving companion, two grown boys, one daughter and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.  The funeral took place May 23 at 3 o'clock pm from the residence and a large concourse of sorrowing friends followed the remains to the German cemetery where poor uncle Louie was lowered to rest.  In their hours of deepest sorrow, MRS. WEBKEMEYER and children have the sympathy of NO. 726.

FRIDAY JUNE 27, 1890

Little BULLAH, seven weeks old daughter of DR. and MRS. C. C. GRIZZELL, of Vergennes, died Wednesday night the 25th inst., at 11:30 o'clock.  Interment took place yesterday evening at 5 o'clock.  the bereaved parents have the sympathy of their many friends in this part of the county.

Coroner Knauer received a telegram on Tuesday afternoon requiring him to go to Carbondale to hold an inquest in a case that promises some sensational developments.  MRS. LILLIE BRYANT of that place came to her death by a pistol shot, the bullet ranging through the heart.  Suspicion points strongly to her husband as the party who did the shooting.  Besides MR. and MRS. BRYANT there were present when the shooting took place, two sisters of his and a sister of hers.  BRYANT and his two sisters testified at the coroner's inquest that the shooting was done by the deceased herself, while her sister swore that BRYANT did the shooting.  The coroner's jury failed to agree on a verdict as to who was responsible for the act.  A warrant was sworn out charging BRYANT with the shooting and he was arrested and held for preliminary examination.

FRIDAY JULY 11, 1890

The death of FRANCIS M. CRAIG occurred on a farm six miles north of Ava on Friday, July 4, 1890, caused by getting overheated while at work.  Deceased was in the 46th year of his age.  He was a member of the Ava Post G. A. R.  Funeral took place last Saturday.

ROMIE, infant son of MR. and MRS. WILEY OUTHOUSE, died in this village Tuesday morning, July 8, 1890 of brain fever; aged 6 months and 28 days.  Interment took place at Evergreen Cemetery Tuesday evening.

FRIDAY JULY 18, 1890

LILY SEYFERTH, of Campbell Hill, died last Saturday.  Aged 16 months.


VAN OSCAR, son of MR. and MRS. GEORGE BARTLETT, died Saturday evening, July 26th 1890 at 6 o'clock; aged 6 years, 10 months and 28 days.  Funeral at the Bartlett cemetery Sunday.  The immediate cause of the death was congestive chill.  MR. BARTLETT's is a highly respected family and have the sympathy of many friends in their bereavement.

Little ROY, the infant son of MR. and MRS. THOS. GREENWOOD, passed away Wednesday night after a long struggle with the fell destroyer (typhoid?); age 1 month and 2 days.  Funeral took place at Evergreen Cemetery yesterday afternoon, MR. GREENWOOD, his mother and the twin to the deceased child are all suffering from one disease or another.  They surely deserve and receive a great deal of sympathy from their many friends.

DR. JAS. ROBARTS, of Carbondale, Ill., born May 4th 1814 died July 24th, 1890.  Funeral services July 27th at 3 o'clock at his residence.  Interment took place at Oakland Cemetery at 4 o'clock.  DR. ROBARTS was one of the ablest physicians and surgeons in the state.  For many years he has been identified in every way with the interests of Southern Illinois, serving in various capacities.  The bereaved family not only have the sympathy of a large circle of friends but of all Southern Illinois.


WILLIAM COLLINS, born May 1833, died Aug. 2, 1890 at the residence of his nephew, MARION HATFIELD, in Ora township.  Interment took place Aug. 4 at the Johnson grave yard.  MR. COLLINS made a long struggle against the universal foe.  Last Dec. he had a long siege of fever, from which he recovered only to fall a victim to continued abscess of the liver.  He leaves two grown daughters and a young son along with several brothers and sisters to mourn his loss.

THOMAS J. GREENWOOD, born September 15th 1850 in the state of Kentucky, died August 6th, 1890 at his residence in Ava, Illinois.  His death was caused by dysentery.  Last week the announcement of the death of his little child cast a gloom over his household, but this week brings far greater sorrow to his widow and five children; and not alone to them but to everyone in the community who values manhood in it's best form, his death is a misfortune.  He was a liberal, honest, and true man and the whole community joins with his sorrowing relatives.  Funeral services at his late residence at 1 o'clock pm; interment 2 pm at Ava Evergreen Cemetery, August 7th.  FRIDAY AUGUST 15, 1890  I wish to return my sincere thanks to the many friends who so kindly attended to my dear dear little child and beloved husband in their last illness, and who so tenderly bore them away to their last resting place.


MRS. LOYD PYRON departed this life the 19th inst.  She suffered patiently for a long while from a severe attack of typhoid fever.  The bereaved parent and family have the sympathy of the surrounding county.

Tuesday afternoon during the thunder storm, JOSEPH, son of MRS. MICHALE WICHU who lives in Four Mile Prairie, about ten miles north east of Ava, while standing by a porch post was struck, dead by lightning.  The head and trunk were fearfully burned and mangled.  He was fifteen years of age.  He was leaning against one of the three posts which support the porch when the accident occurred.  The posts were connected by wire, and the fatal stroke was so heavy that the wire conducted sufficient force to tear all the posts literally into splinters.  The burial took place at the Green Brier Cemetery in Four Mile Prairie Wednesday afternoon.

Tuesday, a little child of GUS KOEN died.  Interment took place at the McBride graveyard on Wednesday.

Last Tuesday, the little child of MR. WHELCHEL, lately of Indiana, now residing two and one-half miles west of Ava, passed away.  Interment took place in the Ava Evergreen Cemetery on Wednesday.


MAYOR ALLEN, of Sparta, died suddenly of heart disease last Tuesday.

ELIZA, wife of DISNEY JARRETT, passed away Tuesday morning.  Her death was caused by consumption.  She was 35 years of age.  By her death five children are left motherless and a husband without a sympathetic helper.  But in the dark hours of their sorrow, neither unfortunate husband and father, nor helpless little orphans are alone.  There are many relatives and friends who console them in their grief.  Interment took place at the McBride graveyard on Wednesday at 11 o'clock.


MRS. MOSES KING and two daughters attended the funeral of her brother, H. L. JOHNSON, on Monday.

I wish to thank the friends who so kindly lent their assistance in caring for my beloved husband in his last illness, and the members of Iron Hall who rendered such brotherly aid in attending to his interment.  MRS. ALICE K. JOHNSON

H. L. JOHNSON died at his residence in Ava, Ill., on Sunday evening, Aug. 31st.  He leaves a wife and child, an aged mother and relatives and friends to mourn his departure.  He was a charter member of the Iron Hall Lodge No. 428, in good standing.  There is due his wife $500 according to the laws of the organization.  The funeral services and interment were conducted by the Iron Hall Lodge according to it's beautiful custom.  The funeral services were held at the residence.  The interment took place at Johnson cemetery, on Monday, Sept. 1st.

Sunday afternoon, WILLIE BELL, age about 17, who resides at uncle GIDEON CARR's, while out trying to shoot a chicken, met with a tearful accident.  He set the breech of the shotgun on the barn sill and while talking to some other boys, the gun slipped off, the hammer striking the sill and causing a discharge.  The muzzle of the gun was against the right frontal bone when it fired and the load ranged backward along the temporal suture and striking the parietal bone.  The eyebrow was partly torn away the frontal and temporal bones broken and caved in, and the parietal bone fractured.  It was thought at first, by DR. DAVIS, the attending physician, that it might be necessary to trephane the place.  It being a case of special seriousness, DRS. DAVIS and ROSSOU made a joint examination and found the above facts.  For several days it looked as though recovery was possible, but on Wednesday he took worse, and died in the afternoon.  The cause was inflammation of the brain and DR. DAVIS thinks it is likely that some shot entered the brains, the hole was large enough.  Coroner Knauer held an inquest and returned a verdict in accordance with the above.  The burial took place Thursday at noon at the Looney Springs grave yard.


The death of MR. FRANK CHEATHAM, son of MR. and MRS. HENRY CHEATHAM occurred at their home on Wednesday morning, September 10th, 1890.  The funeral took place at the Presbyterian church the same day at 2 pm  Interment at Ava Evergreen cemetery at 3 pm.  The REVS G. A. GORDON and J. L. JOHNSTON conducted the funeral services which was of special interest.  The church was crowded with an attentive audience, showing the high regard in which the family is held.  Thus another of our young men has gone to join the innumerable throng in the spirit world.  Let us say an honest word to his memory.  He was taken from us just as his life was opening into manhood.  So young, so strong, and yet so early cut down by the never weary Reaper, Death.  While just at the threshold of real life he was compelled to stop there and go no further.  He was a sober, industrious young man, kind to everyone, loving and tender to his own family.  During his long illness he was so patient and kind as to win the hearts of all who cared for him; and at last, we have reason to believe, the beautiful flower of Christian love bloomed out in his life.  The last few days of his life ought to teach us all the sweet lessons of patience, love and faith.  Before he died he seemed to see the bright Star of Bethlehem, to catch the whispers of angel voices, and to hear the welcome voice of the Good Shepherd saying, Come up higher.


Superintendent FAGER's father died very unexpectedly Wednesday evening near Murphysboro.  He had been sick some time, but was not expected to die.


IDA, daughter of JEFFERSON and SARAH MIFFLIN, departed this life the 19th inst. with typhoid fever.  Her remains were interred at the McBride Cemetery.  REV. J. L. JOHNSTON preached her funeral to a large concourse of people.  IDA was a model lady and held in high esteem with all her acquaintances, and, besides she was a child of God.  (The family was from Kinkaid).


RINDA KOEN, at the residence of D. R. WILL, died Thursday, Oct. 8, 1890.  MISS KOEN has been staying at MR. WILL's for some time.  When typhoid attacked the family, she was also affected and after thirty-two days of illness, succumbed to the disease.  The interment takes place today (Friday) at 1 o'clock at the Home cemetery south of Shiloh Hill.

On Tuesday, VAN BROUGHTEN, who lives near Shiloh Hill, Ill., met his death very suddenly.  He had been to the creamery and returning home with a barrel of skimmed milk in the wagon, entered his barn lot when the team took fright and began circling the barn.  The wagon turned over throwing MR. BROUGHTEN out, the barrel of milk striking him, causing almost instant death.  We could not learn the particulars of the Interment.

A colored boy by the name of ARMSTRONG was accidentally shot and instantly killed last Friday by another boy by the name of STEBBINS.


The death of MELVIUS, wife of SYLVESTER CULLEY, took place in this village on last Wednesday, October 15, 1890 at 10 am.  The deceased was 27 years of age, having been born July 21st, 1863.  She has been declining since last January as a result of quick consumption, brought on by an attack of la grippe.  In her girlhood, (?)VIVA MODGLIN was universally beliked by all who knew her.  She was the pride of a home and the life of the social circle which she mingled.  She was married to MR. CULLEY October 21st , 1881.  In her own home, as in her parental one, she was the light and comfort, and in her departure there are many hearts whose sympathy will bear up the bereaved ones.  In the sweet springtime of her life, when bright hopes sprang forth unceasingly, many friends and playmates strewed in her pathway the beauteous flowers of friendship and love.  Now with the falling of the leaves and the moaning of autumnal winds, the same friends and playmates lay her away with tenderest tears in her long, long home.  The interment took place yesterday at Ava Evergreen Cemetery at 2 pm.  Funeral services will be announced hereafter.  OCTOBER 24, 1890:  I desire to thank those kind friends who so willingly and tenderly watched over my dear wife during her long illness...Very truly yours...SYLVESTER CULLEY


Coroner Knauer was called away Tuesday afternoon by a long telegram sent by the I. C. R. R. announcing the death of a brakeman at Carbondale.  Mr. Knauer went to Carbondale at once and had the body brought back from Centralia. The facts developed as follows:  The brakeman's name was HARRY PERRY, and his home was at Centralia.  He was 24 years of age and married.  He was braking on freight train No. 22, north bound.  The accident occurred at ?:45 am Tuesday, immediately north of Carbondale near the crossing of the I. C. and Short Line roads.  The left lower limb was cut off below the knee, besides many bruises.  Death took place between 5 and 6 o'clock.  The verdict of the jury in the case was to the effect that he came to his death by accident, attaching no blame to anyone.  It is supposed he fell from the car which jumped the track.

The little fourteen month old child of ROBERT MORGAN, of  Sato, died Wednesday morning.


Coroner Knauer received a telegram yesterday afternoon calling him to Pomona.  No particulars were known, but we learned from other sources that a man accidentally killed with a target gun.

Died, Wednesday night, Nov. 26 at 12 o'clock, J. J. BROWN.  Deceased had suffered from cancer of the stomach since June.  He was 29 years of age.  Interment takes place today at 2 o'clock in Buchanan graveyard.

On last Saturday, the little two year old child of MARK MASON JR., of Sato, while walking around with a long new sharp slate pencil in it's hand, stumbled and fell, driving the pencil into the eye socket, through the thin bone which separates the eye from the brain into the brain.  The little one did not seem to mind the wound much until a day or so afterward when inflammation set in.  The child died Monday evening.  The burial took place Tuesday afternoon at the King graveyard.


HOWARD, the three year old son of BENNETT MODGLIN died Thursday before noon.  The little fellow had suffered a long time.  The funeral will take place today (Friday) just afternoon at the Ava Evergreen Cemetery.


JOHN KOEN, age 22 years, died at his father's residence near Degognia on Tuesday morning at 2 o'clock.  His death was caused by typhoid fever.  This, it is supposed, was brought on while attending his sister Marinda during her sickness at D. R. WILL's.  His death took place just two months from that of his sister.  He was laid beside her on Wednesday at three o'clock.

On Monday morning at eight o'clock, MRS. MOLLIE D., wife of MR. SAMUEL RUSSELL, quietly breathed her last in the lovely cottage home which had been such a pleasant one for the past two or three years, made so by the gentle wife now silent in the final slumber.  MRS. RUSSELL was a native of this community, having been born and raised near Campbell Hill.  She was well known and highly appreciated by a large circle of friends.  She had been ill only a few days yet knew perfectly well almost from the beginning that it was to be her last struggle.  She died heaping blessings upon her loved ones, holding more strongly than ever, when the world was sinking from her, to the faith which she had confessed in her brighter hours of life.  Her husband and family are sorely grieved at her removal and have the full sympathy of all their friends in their bereavement.  Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian Church at 2 o'clock Wednesday.  Interment took place in the Ava Evergreen Cemetery at 3 pm.  CARD OF THANKS:  I take this method of thanking the many kind friends who so freely assisted me during the last illness of my beloved wife, and who, full of sympathy and benevolence, made it their duty not to falter until she had been tenderly laid to rest...Thankfully yours, SAM'L RUSSELL.

Newspaper Index

Home Page

ęcopyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2013  All Rights Reserved