Genealogy Trails

Jackson County, Illinois

Ava Advertiser

Death Notices 1891


MRS. MARY E. SMITH, after a long, long struggle with consumption, passed quietly away last Sunday before noon.  In her continuous illness she became destitute of the necessities of life.  These however were furnished by the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. societies by the sympathetic people of the village.  She left two boys to mourn her loss as well as several brothers and sisters and other relatives.  The funeral services were conducted by REV. G. A. GORDON on Monday at 2 pm at the Presbyterian Church.  Interment took place at 3pm at the Ava Evergreen Cemetery.


BRYANT, the accused wife murderer of Carbondale will have anew trial.  The jury hung.  From the looks of things it ought to have been the man instead of the jury.


MR. and MRS. JAS. HARKNESS and little WANDA returned home Monday evening from Chester where they had attended the funeral of MR. HARKNESS' father, GEO. HARKNESS, who died on Thursday at the residence of his son in law, G. S. DOUGLAS near Chester.  He was the last of the twenty young Scots who came to this country in 1848 and made up what has always been known as the Scotch Settlement.


Died-David L. JAMES, age 25 years at home in Sato passed away suddenly at 6am, Thursday, Jan. 29th, 1891.  The funeral took place at Kings graveyard on Jan. 30th at 3pm under the auspices of the I. O. O. F. Lodge(#672) of Ava, being the second death in the order since it's organization eleven years ago.

WRITTEN BY THE ODDFELLOWS OF MR. JAMES:  Hence since it has pleased the Grand Master above to remove from us our beloved brother, be it by Ava Lodge No. 672 I. O. O. F. that in the death of Brother James, the fraternity has lost a faithful, zealous and attentive member, his family has lost a kind hearted soul and brother, and the community an honest, inoffensive citizen.  The Ava Lodge No. 672 I. O. O. F. tender the family and relatives their condolence in this their time of sorrow and recommend them to one who is able to give consolation in the most bitter time of sorrow...ROGER WALWARK, WILLIAM BRETT, W. D. JOHNSON...committee.  A similar memorial is written by the KNIGHTS OF LABOR at Gasville:  Thou art gone dear brother, to thy home for peace and sleep, and left us with one another, thy loss to mourn and weep.


WM. H. BROWN, widely known in Jackson and Union Counties, suddenly expired at St. John's Hospital in St. Louis about 5 o'clock Saturday evening last.  On the Saturday previous, Mr. Brown had had his injured limb amputated, and seemingly, was improving rapidly and expressed himself as soon to be able to return home, but the bursting of an artery in the limb a few moments before his death, caused him to sink peacefully into that long sleep that falls sooner or later to all mankind.  Mr. Brown was an active and energetic man, especially prominent in politics, and apparently, of such a winning nature among his fellow men, that success nearly invariably followed his efforts.  As a Republican candidate, he secured several offices in city and town affairs.  A few years since he met with an accident that crippled him and caused him much suffering.  To relieve this he made a trip to St. Louis, only to be consigned to the grave.  A committee of the K. of H. escorted the remains of their brother to the city Sunday night and on Tuesday afternoon performed their farewell ceremony to his memory.  Services were held at the Lutheran Church by REV. HAMMOND, and the edifice was crowded to it's utmost by the friends and associates of the deceased, being the largest gathering witnessed in this city for many years.  At the grave the burial ceremony of the Knights of Honor was performed by Carbon Lodge, 1894, and their once active member laid to rest.  Mr. Brown's age at the time of his death was 45 years, 9 months and 29 days.  He had been a resident of this city for several years, coming here from Anna.  He engaged in the mercantile business several times, and two years ago was elected city and town clerk.  Among our people he had many warm and steadfast friends, and the widowed wife and two children who mourn him find many sympathizing hearts to mourn with them.

SAML. CRASHER of Somerset township died last Saturday night.  He was a young man and very popular.  His death is deeply deplored by the numerous friends and relatives.

A very sad accident happened in front of MR. STRECHELJOHNS house last Monday.  MR. SCHMEARBACH an aged German while on his way to market with a basket of eggs was suddenly thrown from the mule he was riding.  His foot hung in the stirrup and the frightened mule with new rough shoes on, kicked the old man horribly, running to WEIBUSHES store befored he was released.  Death we understand resulted in a few minutes.

Died at her home near Ava, Ill., Feb. 6, 1891, MISS OLLIE VARNUM, born March 28, 1872, aged 18 years, 10 months and 9 days.  The deceased formerly lived near Harrisonville, Monroe County, Ill., from which she, with the rest of her family, removed to Jackson County, in October, 1882, to the present home of her father, MR. B. B. VARNUM.  At an early age, MISS VARNUM showed symptoms of pulmonary weakness, which in later years developed into consumption.  Her condition, though for many years not alarming, within the last few weeks reached a point which baffled all attempts of recovery; and in obedience to the will of him who doeth all things well, she passed beyond the vale of tears to her reward.  the funeral was conducted at the Presbyterian Church in Ava on Sunday, Feb. 8th at 11 o'clock am and was largely attended by the friends of the family; after which the remains were interred in the Ava Evergreen Cemetery.  She was a kind, loving daughter and sister, an amiable and agreeable friend and neighbor whose greatest delight was to make others happy.  By her genial spirit and womanly conduct she had endeared herself to all who knew her, and her many friends join in extending sympathy to the bereaved family in this their darkest hour.  Let us comfort ourselves with the thought that what is our loss is her gain:  There is no death; What seems so is transition; This life of mortal breath is but a foretaste of the life elysion; Whose portals we call Death. (There is a poem, written for Ollie by a Mrs. W. A. Goodman of Pueblo, Colorado).

CARD OF THANKS:  I take this method of thanking the friends who so kindly attended my beloved daughter in her lingering illness, and so sympathizingly and tenderly laid her away.  Very truly, B. B. VARNUM.


MR. SMEARBACH who was reported killed in these columns is NOT dead but on the contrary is in a good way toward getting up again.


MOODY, the eighteen year old son of FREEMAN KING, of Levin township, died at his father's residence on last Saturday.  On Sunday his mourning family and friends laid him away to his long rest beside his mother in the Hall graveyard.

MRS. M. M. EDGAR quietly passed away on last Friday morning, Feb. 27th, at her home five miles north of Ava.  The interment took place at the Ava Evergreen Cemetery on Saturday.  MRS. EDGAR leaves a husband and several children, all grown up, with numerous friends to mourn her loss.  She was well known through this country and highly respected by everyone.

FRIDAY, MARCH 13, 1891

MRS. JACK NEACE of Kinkaid township, lately of Ava, died of consumption at her home Tuesday morning at one o'clock.  The interment took place at the Ava Evergreen Cemetery at noon Wednesday.

MRS. JAS. CLELAND died at her home in Degognia township last Monday morning after a very short illness.  She was interred at the Carson graveyard on Tuesday.

MRS. GEO. PILLARS of East St. Louis died of Consumption at the residence of her brother in law WM. LAUDER one and a half miles south of Campbell Hill Sunday night.  She was buried at Ebenneezer on Tuesday.

***In the three deaths above recounted this country has lost three of it's noble women.  It is a shock seldom equaled in these parts.  The families are all well known and surely have the sympathy of their numerous friends in this country.


MRS. COX of Raddleville, died February 24th.  She leaves a husband and four little daughters to mourn her loss along with many other relatives. (Mr. Cox and two daughters Katie and Pearl were all sick at this time).

MRS. SUSAN SMITH, wife of H. R. SMITH, died at home near Wagner's Landing, Monday morning March 16, 1891 of hemorrhage of the lungs.  She had been down with what is known as quick consumption all winter.  She was thirty-nine years, three months and twenty-two days old.  Mr. Smith leaves a son, fifteen years of age and a husband and many relatives, among others, her sister MRS. WM. ROBERTS of this place to mourn her loss.  Interment took place on Tuesday at the Fred Brown Cemetery.

ISAAC, the sixteen year old son of JACKSON MODGLIN living 5 miles north east of Ava, passed away last Sunday morning after a short illness from pneumonia.  The young man thus cut down in his youth leaves, besides his immediate family, a very extensive relationship to sorrow for his untimely departure.  The interment took place at Modglin graveyard a half mile west of town on Monday.

On last Saturday morning one of our old and highly respected citizens, BENNETT MODGLIN, living about five miles south east of this place, passed quietly into the great unknown.  He belongs to the extensive and respectable MODGLIN family of this country.  He was a man of sterling character and his death, even though occurring later in life than the average, is very much regretted by the people of this community.  His remains were laid to rest in the Ava Evergreen Cemetery on Sunday at noon.

In Carbondale, Ill., on last Thursday morning occurred the death of one whose life was spent in this neighborhood, MRS. FRED PHOENIX.  MR. PHOENIX had sold his Carbondale property and moved his goods to Murphysboro, where he had bought a residence and was preparing to go with his wife to their new home the morning this great misfortune happened.  MRS. PHOENIX was getting ready to go to the train when a stroke of heart disease put out the lamp of life.  The daughters, MISSES BESSIE and BELLE, were in Murphysboro putting the house in order when they received a telegram announcing her death.  MRS. PHOENIX having passed the greater part of her life in this neighborhood is well known and universally beloved and admired as a woman of the most kindly and noble disposition.  Her death is a hard blow to her family and they have the profound sympathy of many friends.  The body was interred in the Looney Springs Church yard near her old home where she was for many years a devoted worshiper.

FRIDAY MAY 29, 1891

AUNT POLLY HOLMAN, of Shiloh Hill, died on Monday the 25th, after an illness of about three months.  She was buried at the Millcreek Cemetery Tuesday the 26th at 11 o'clock am.


On last Friday, MR. FREDERICK PHOENIX removed the body of his wife from Looney Springs graveyard, where it had been laid a short time ago to the Ava Evergreen Cemetery.

The death of THOMAS KELLY, father of A. J. KELLY, of this village, took place at the home of his daughter, MRS. JOHN KIRKPATRICK, one and a half miles east of Rockwood, Ill., on Friday, May 29, 1891. Death was caused by heart failure.  THOMAS KELLY was eighty years old.  He was born and raised in Ireland coming to this country nearly sixty years ago, since which time, with the exception of two years, he has been a resident of Randolph County.  He joined the church at sixteen years of age since which time he has been a faithful, devoted member.  He has survived as elder of the Presbyterian church for forty-four years.  Three years ago he became blind, but the angel of death approaching touched his eyelid and sight came back and he looked once more upon the faces of his beloved daughters.  Then quietly, the spirit stole away and left the vacant windows open.  A life lived out was laid aside and another as faithful begun.  The funeral services were conducted by the REV. FISHER.  Interment took place Saturday at the Ebeneezer graveyard.

FRIDAY JUNE 12, 1891

It is reported that triplets, boys, were born to MR. and MRS. WM. QUALL on Saturday.  Two were unfortunate in being so delicate that death took place Sunday.

FRIDAY JULY 24, 1891

On Tuesday, July 21st, at Sparta, Ill., at the residence of her daughter, MRS. FRED LINER, MRS. J. L. TAGGART, of Campbell Hill, quietly departed this life after a long illness.  Her children had come from their far off homes; DR. THOS. and MISS BERT from Tulare, Cal., DR. DAVE from Birmingham, Ala., and the others from their homes in this county, to be near their beloved mother in her last illness.  Thus surrounded by her husband and children, except DR. CHARLES of Tulare, Cal., she passed into the great beyond, there to receive the reward that the life of a consistent Christian faithful wife and kind and devoted mother entitles her to.  The interment took place at her old home at Palestine, Ill., on Thursday. (There is a poem written for Anna Taggart by her friend, MRS. MARION RUSSELL)

The death of JAMES H. HENSON, one of the most prominent of Ava's business men, occurred at his residence at 2 am Thursday, after a short illness.  The death was most unexpected, many of his friends not having heard of his illness until his death was announced.  All the care that family, friends and best physicians could do to save his life was done but without avail.  JAMES H. HENSON was a man of iron will and dauntless courage in whatever he undertook.  On this account he seldom began an enterprise which he did not pursue to success.  He was a valued and enterprising citizen, a good neighbor and true friend, and the citizens of Ava and vicinity join in extending to the bereaved family their heartfelt sympathy.  Funeral services were conducted by the REV F. M. ALEXANDER, of Murphysboro in the Presbyterian Church at 4pm.  Interment took place in the Evergreen Cemetery at 5pm Thursday.  The funeral and interment was conducted by Gem Lodge No. 2687; nearly the entire lodge joining in the sad rites.

FRIDAY JULY 31, 1891

WILL S. OWEN of Murphysboro was drowned Sunday afternoon while bathing in Big Muddy.  He took cramps when attempting to swim across and sunk.  He was twenty two years of age and was accompanied by a company of much younger boys who were unable to render any assistance.  The body was rescued and the Coroner returned a verdict in compliance with the facts.


MR. DAN RICE, of Degognia, died on Thursday after a long illness of that fatal disease consumption.  Interment took place Friday evening.


Died on Tuesday, October 26th, GEORGE DAVIS, after an illness of several weeks with typhoid fever.  He was the eldest son of MRS. D. LYNCH and his death is a sad blow to the family.  Interment took place at the McBride Cemetery Wednesday evening.


Once more the Angel of Death has visited our community and many friends and relatives are called to lament the death of MRS. SAM'L BROWN.  About a month ago MRS. BROWN was compelled to give up her work as teacher in the primary department of our schools and the report spread that she was sick with typhoid fever.  All possible efforts were used for her recovery.  For several weeks her many friends listened eagerly for the daily report from the doctor and at last when she was reported much better all felt relieved and were in hopes that she would soon be able to resume her duties.  But on Monday all were startled by the sad news of her death.  The funeral occurred on Tuesday and the services at the Presbyterian church were listened to by many lamenting friends while the sobs and tears of those who had been her pupils spoke more plainly of the loss they felt than words could do.  MR. and MRS. SAM'L BROWN moved into this community several years ago and since their first entrance have proved useful and energetic citizens ever doing all in their power to advance the true interests of Ava.  Both were earnest workers in the church and Sunday school and MRS. BROWN's loss will be heavily felt by all.  In the public schools MRS. BROWN proved herself an efficient, cheerful laborer and here as elsewhere her loss will be severely felt.  Cut down in the prime of life by that fell destroyer typhoid, it is hard for her loved ones to give her up, yet the thought that He doeth all things well will comfort the bereaved in their sad affliction.  Gone on before, To wait on that shiny shore, Borne by the unknown boatman, To welcome her loved ones o'er.

Died Tuesday, Nov. 3, at his home in Kinkaid township, MR. J. S. MCCLURE, after a short illness.  MR. MCCLURE was one of our most prominent and influential farmers and his death so sudden and unexpected, is mourned by many friends and kindred.  He leaves a wife and a number of children.  Interment took place at the Bartlett graveyard on Wednesday.

Newspaper Index

Home Page

ęcopyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2013  All Rights Reserved