Genealogy Trails

Jackson County, Illinois

Barton Free Press


April 14:  A fire broke out April 9 at 1 o'clock in the morning on the second floor of the Logan House.  Robert NEAL, a boarder, Ellen DODD and Clementine FROET, employees, jumped from the window.  A drummer, R. W. SNABE, who travels for Adams & Wabene of St. Louis, failed to get our of his room and perished in the flames.  The Logan house was built in 1843, was owned and run by Mrs. D. A. ROGERS, valued at $7,000, but insured for $2,000.  Mrs. ROGERS occupied it only 10 days.  Mr. SNABE was a resident of Chicago and leaves a wife and two children.

April 14:  Monday of last week, Mrs. BOAN, who lives on a street back of Ussery's Opera House in Anna, was washing out of doors, heard screams and on entering the house, found her 4-year-old son with his clothes on fire.  He lingered until Wednesday, when death relieved him.

April 21:  Daniel MOON, residing on a farm of Mrs. CONNER, died yesterday of an infection of the throat.

April 21:  The frail old creature, Mrs. Mary J. WILLIAMS, died in this city Thursday night, age 57.

April 21:  Died March 28, at the residence of her husband, Robert L. YORK, in Ridge Township, Nancy A. YORK, age 62.  She was the daughter of Francis and Mary BLEVINS, and was born in Sullivan County, Tenn.  She lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, and with her parents moved to Upper Alton, Ill., in 1836.  She married November 26, 1841 and was the mother of nine children, five of whom are living.

April 28:  Lula May, infant daughter of A. D. and L. D. HINDMAN, died last Wednesday.

April 28:  Monroe ASBEL,  age 23, a young colored man, died Tuesday night.  He was shot two years ago by another colored named EVERHART and seemed to partially recover, but his friends say that it was finally the cause of his death.

April 28:  Twin boys were born to Mr. and Mrs. John MURDEN on Thursday.  Dr. McKINNEY attended.

April 28:  Tuesday evening Elihu B. KIRBY, who came here from Murphysboro last January, killed his brother in law, Isaac PULLIS. Not long ago, KIRBY married his second wife, who at the time lived at Grand Tower with her mother.  she left him a few weeks ago and went back to her mother, now living at Mt. Carbon.  PULLIS supported his mother.  On the day of the murder, he was in this place in the employ of James TURNER.  KIRBY saw him and went to his house and got his pistol, told his housekeeper, Mrs. TEMPLE, that he intended to kill PULLIS. He shot him over the left eye.  KIRBY had formerly lived in Grand Tower and Anna.

May 5:  Joe SEAY, a barkeeper for the Morgans in Grand Tower's golden days, died in the quarantine hospital near St. Louis last Saturday of small pox.

May 5:  Our sympathies are extended to Mr. and Mrs. James THOMPSON of Carterville in the loss of their 6-year-old son, Jimmy.

May 5:  Effie L. SPENCER, age 11, residing east of Marshal, gave birth to a well-formed and fully-developed female child on Friday night.  the child claims her step-brother is the author of her ruin.  The young man recently disappeared.

May 5:  Friday of last week, Frank WATKINS, who lived several miles east of Anna, was accidentally shot and killed by an old shotgun in his own hands.  He had borrowed the gun from Peter WILLIAMS, who told him it was not loaded.  When he got home, he took the stock off the gun, poured some coal oil down the barrel and placed the breech in the fire.  The gun was loaded and went off.  He received the full load in his abdomen.

May 5:  Last Sunday, Jim MURRAY, living two miles southeast of town, struck his son Jim on the head with a club.  the younger children thought he was dead and came into town and reported it.  Several citizens started for the home, but met young Jim coming after the children.

May 5:  Elvira WILBURN of Northern Precinct, Williamson County, was brought to Marion Thursday of last week and charged with murdering her own offspring.  She gave birth and after breaking its skull, threw the child in a well, where it remained several hours.  she is about 17, unmarried.  Her mother is living, but her father is dead.

May 12:  Married at the residence of the bride's mother at Tamaroa, on May 8, by the Rev. S. WALKER, S. J. HINDMAN of this city, and Miss Emma L. BARBER.

May 12:  A baby girl born Friday of last week to Mr. and Mrs. J. S. HARTMAN of Makanda.

May 12:  Isaac WINCHESTER, a former resident now of Bridgeport, Kan., is visiting here for several weeks.

May 19:  William MAHAFFEY married May 12 to miss Minnie LALLEY of Cairo.

May 19:  William WILLIAMS, age 27, died of consumption Tuesday at the home of his mother, Mrs. Edward BROWN.

May 19:  To those who know Sen. LOGAN intimately, anecdotes concerning his skill with the pistol are not at all astonishing.  Say 16 years ago, his colored boy Isom would frequently hold a playing card in his hand while the general would shoot out one of the spots at 10 steps.  And all know, had Rep. LOWE succeeded in getting up a shooting match with LOGAN, what the result would have been.  When Sen. LOGAN was in Hot Springs, Ark, getting rid of rheumatism, he one day saw a dozen young men pistol shooting at a bottle near the hotel.  Their luck wasn't good and he began making sarcastic remarks.  Pretty soon, they challenged him to try his hand at it.  No, he didn't care to.  Then they said he was afraid.  "Well now, " he said at last, "I'll tell you what I'll do.  there are 12 of you and only one of me, but I'll give each of you a box of cigars every time he hits the bottle, if you will give me a box every time I hit it."  They accepted the offer and thought they had a mighty soft thing.  "I'll shoot first," he added "and if I hit I'm to shoot again and again until I miss."  they agreed to this also.  Then he loaded a brace of six shooters and emptied them again, breaking 12 bottles as he did so.  "Want any more?" he inquired.  "No, I guess not," was the chop-fallen reply.  "Then you can send those 12 boxes to my room whenever you're ready," he said, adding in a pensive, reflective tone, as he limped away, "There's a kind of knack in these things, and I've shot at bottles before I ever saw Hot Springs."

May 26:  Died in Carbondale, Tuesday, May 22, Michael RAY, age 82.  He was born and married in Philadelphia, PA.  He survived his wife only 10 months and 11 days.  He is survived by eight children.  He was buried in Oakland Cemetery.

May 26:  Willard WILLIAMS born near Cincinnati, Butler Co., Ohio, October 1855, removed to Southern Illinois at an early age with his parents.  Some three years since he was stricken with consumption.

May 26:  Mrs. Hattie BRUSH, wife of Lieut. Dan, arrived in the city Monday.  She was summoned to see her brother, Alfred RAPP, who is at the residence of the parents quite ill.

May 26:  Mr. BORGER's mule and bread wagon had their periodical runaway on Thursday afternoon.  The result, as usual, was a damaged wagon, but nobody hurt.

MAY 26:  Fifty-six wreaths are needed to decorate the graves of our fallen comrades buried in Carbondale.  The following is a list:  OLD CEMETERY Benjamin MULKEY, Co. G 9th Ill, Barton MULKEY, 1st Colorado Cav, Charles H. PURDY Co. A 15th Ill, Warren POWELL Co. F 81st Ill, John T HINDMAN Co. K 18th Ill, Capt. H. L. BOWYER Co. H 31st, Maj. J. W. LAWRENCE Ram Fleet, Lieut. Col. J. WHITE 31st Ill, Lieut. A. W. ADAMS 18th Ill, Lieut. Larken M. RILEY Co. G 31st Ill, James D. GAGE Co F 81st Ill, Logan MARTIN Co. K 18th Ill, Daniel ROBINSON 13th Ill Cav, P. H. L. WIDDOWS Co. F 81st Ill, L. C. JARBOE 18th Ill, F. B. RICHART 25th Ohio Battery, Capt. Augustine M. JENKINS 31st Ill, John MARGISON 15th Ill Cav, George M. BRUSH 18th Ill, Frank RIGGS 15th Ohio, James P. FLIGOR 6th Ill Cav, Lewis CHAMBERS, John L. BAIRD Co F 117th Ill, John PRICKETT 31st Ill, Isaac PRICKETT Co F 31st Ill, James McGEE 31st Ill, Lieut. J. ROBARTS Marine Brigade, Granville ROBARTS Marine Brigade, Capt. A. CONNOR Co. E 18th Ill, Chancy ELDRIDGE 15th Ill, George W. TIFFANY Secret Service, E.  A. COLLINS Co. B 52nd(?) Ill, James H. CAMPBELL Co. K 18th Ill, W. H. PRICKETT Co. K 18th Ill, Moses CALVIN Co. K 18th Ill, E. A. RICHARDS C. K 18th Ill, Richard TAYLOR Co D 2nd Ill Light Artillery, Stewart SMITH Co. D 2nd Ill Cav, W. LEFTWICH 31st Ill, Peter MUNSON Co. F 117th Ill, Capt. Fred S. BARNARD Co G 14th Maine, Lieut. E (or F) BISHOP 24th MO Inf, Joseph WATLEY Co A. 9th Ill, Unknown soldier, Lieut. J. W. SANDERS, Co. F 31st Ill, James KILGORE, John RATTS, Francis RALLS, James C. CLARK Co I 7th Iowa Inf, William RAND 15th Ill Cav, Thomas ELLIS Co F 81st, Simon COLE U.S. Navy, A. D. ROBERTS, J. J. NORBURY 6th U. S. Inf(under General Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans, War of 1812)  SNIDER BURYING GROUND:  John A. BREWSTER Co. B 81st Ill Inf WOODLAWN CEMETERY:  Capt. O. T. PRICKETT 154th Ill Cav.

JUNE 2:  Married at Hotel Bastien in Murphysboro, May 31, by the Rev. T. R. EARNHART, Don L. STEPHENS of Cobden and Miss Carrie B. KIMMEL of this city.

JUNE 2:  Saturday afternoon last, at Purdy's Mill, four and one half miles west of Carbondale, a man named AUSBURY stabbed and killed a man named ALSOP.  It was an old grudge.  Both worked at the mill.  The wounded man was taken to his home on the farm of John W. TROBAUGH.  Dr. O'HARA did all that was possible, but he died at 1 o'clock Thursday morning.

JUNE 9:  Dan B. STROH is dangerously ill.  He went to Colorado to improve his health, but has grown worse and recent reports are to the effect that he can not live long.

JUNE 9:  Thomas SWANWICK died last Monday.  He was an officer at Chester prison some five years.

JUNE 9:  Died in Carbondale Tuesday, May 22, Michael PRAY, Esq., age 82.  (Same obituary that appeared May 26, but name was spelled RAY).

JUNE 16:  William HESTER, a young colored man attempted to board a moving train Thursday night and was thrown under the wheels and one of his legs so mangled that amputation was necessary.

JUNE 16:  The family of Edward BROWN will soon join him in Sedgwic City, Kan., their new home.

JUNE 16:  During Monday forenoon a woman apparently 35 years old, carrying a young babe, called at Mrs. FELTES restaurant and took breakfast.  About noon she said she would go to the depot to see about her things, remarking that she wished to go north on the 3 o'clock train.  About train time, she returned and told Mrs. FELTES that she had procured employment and would remain in town.  She asked and obtained permission to leave the babe a few minutes, and then went out and has not yet returned.  Parties saw her get on the accommodation train, but no further intelligence has been had of her.  The woman stated her name was LEARY and came from Creal Springs, Williamson County.  The babe is a girl, probably a month old.  Mrs. MOON has taken it and proposes to raise it.

JUNE 16:  Tuesday a prominent young businessman, C. E. STRAUB, left the town of Anna without warning.  He came to Anna about two years ago.  About a year ago he married the daughter of ex-sheriff HILEMAN, who set the young man up in business.  Mr. HILEMAN received a letter from a lady in Michigan stating she was C. E. STRAUB's wife and the mother of two children by him.  STRAUB admitted it and was given 12 hours to leave town.  Mr. HILEMAN took his daughter and the child she had by STRAUB home.

JUNE 23:  Henry BRECKENRIDGE, a young colored man, died at the residence of his brother-in-law George PASCHAL on Thursday of consumption.  He was recently married to Miss Polly RUSSELL of Cairo.

JUNE 23:  Fannie WILLIS, daughter of Prof. WILLIS, was married on June 7 to the Rev. F. P. DAVENPORT of Cairo.

JUNE 23:  The 7th birthday of Freddie O'HARA was celebrated Tuesday by a party of 33 of his little friends.  A delicious repast was provided by his grandma, Mrs. John O'HARA.

JUNE 23:  Albert WATSON of Carterville was struck and killed by lightening last Friday.  He was a miner and returning home from work, being within sight of his home when the fatal bolt struck him.  He leaves a wife and one child.

JUNE 23:  A sad bereavement has come to the family of C. R. TROBOUGH, living about midway between Murphysboro and this place.  On Sunday, June 10, two children were feeding stock, when one of them, Freddie, a boy of 6, was kicked by a horse.  The little fellow lingered through the week, suffering terribly, but died on Sunday last.

JUNE 23:  During a rainstorm Saturday night, the home of William GREGORY near Creal Springs was struck by lightning.  Mrs. GREGORY got up and was struck by lightning while standing by the bed.  The husband and the little child, the only remaining members of the family, were both seriously if not fatally injured.  Mrs. GREGORY was killed.

JUNE 30:  R. POWELL of Healdsburg, Calif., is visiting friends and old acquaintances in this section, accompanied by his wife and child.

JUNE 30:  William LAWDER Sr., living three and one half miles northeast of Rockwood, was struck by lightning Monday of last week.  It struck the right of his face, ran along his arm and leg to the ground, ripping both sides of his pantaloon leg and crushing the skin.  He was stunned for a few minutes.

JUNE 30:  There is an old colored man, living with Ferninand WELLS near Grand Tower, who, it is claimed by good authority, is 121 years old.  He was born in Virginia.  His father was a Congo captive, who, with his sister, was brought to Norfolk in the 17th century.

JULY 7:  The wife of Bro. J. F. CONNELL died suddenly yesterday.

JULY 7:  Alfred RAPP died Friday of last week.

JULY 7:  Died in Carbondale, June 22 (?), Mrs. Isabella WARDER BUNDY at the residence of her father, Joseph WARDER, wife of William H. BUNDY of Marion.  She was born October 10, 1848 in Flemmingsburg, KY, the second daughter of Joseph and Anna T. WARDER, who removed to Johnson County, Ill., when she was a child.  She attended Southern Illinois College at Carbondale, and married April 1870 William H. BUNDY of Marion.  She has three children, two survive.  She has been an invalid for more than four years and went South for her health, but returned in June 1882.  She was buried in Hurricane Cemetery in Carterville.  (A poem written by Belle BUNDY upon the death of her babe followed the obituary).

JULY 14:  Patrick H. LANG, age 55, shot himself in the mouth with a revolver Monday.  He had lived in Marion for 25 years and was a justice of the peace.  His office was with Hartwell Brothers.  L. D. HARTWELL entered the office and found him dead, sitting in a chair.  He was in financial trouble and that was the supposed cause.

JULY 14:  Margaret, wife of Eli CANNON, age 50, died at her home in this city, July 10.

JULY 14:  Alfred J. RAPP died at his father's residence in this city June 29, age 25. He was born in Carbondale Jan. 11, 1858 and attended Southern Illinois College.  At the age of 15 he accepted a position in a drug store of Morse, Storer and Co.  After a year, he entered the school of pharmacy in St. Louis, and graduated after two years and took a position with a large St. Louis firm.  He fell victim to consumption and returned to Carbondale in August 1881 from an extended tour of Louisiana and Texas.  He then went to Florida, grew worse and was brought home last April.  He was the son of Isaac and Georgeanna RAPP.

JULY 21:  The wife of Capt. BLACKBURN of Murphysboro recently gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl.  John was a good soldier, winning captain's stripes on the bloody field of Shiloh, and is still as patriotic as ever.

JULY 21:  George W. TATE, son-in-law of Mr. FLEMMING of our place, met with an accident which terminated his life the next day.  He was a passenger conductor living in Chicago and making a run to Rock Island.  It is supposed he met with the accident while on duty as he died in Rock Island.  He married Ada FLEMMING about two years ago.

JULY 21:  A fatal accident occurred on the farm of Charles KELLER, about six miles east of Cobden, during a storm Friday evening last week.  David MEDLIN, employed by KELLER was hauling wheat from the field when he was struck by lightning, killing him and the team, setting the wheat and wagon on fire.  After striking MEDLIN above the temple, the lightning left no other mark until it reached his boots, which it tore open from top to bottom, blistering the skin on both feet, and apparently jumping from either foots to the horses.

JULY 21:  The sad but expected news reached our city Sunday morning through a letter to Hon. J. M. SCURLOCK of the death of Mrs. J. B. RICHART. She had moved to Orange County, Fla., in December 1881 for her health.  She was born Emma McCORMICK in Virginia and moved with her parents to Missouri.  She married James Boyd RICHART about 1863 in Canton, MO, which was the residence of both at that time.  They moved to Carbondale, then to Florida.  Our sympathies to the husband and adopted daughter.

JULY 28:  An old colored woman named Charity STUART fell death at the residence of H. C. MERTZ Monday.  She had just completed washing.

JULY 28:  Last Tuesday Isaac DILLINGER's wife presented him with a miniature edition of herself.

JULY 28:  Last Saturday Mrs. Mary BREWSTER took passage on the farm wagon of White JAMES to visit her daughter Mrs. M. J. SNIDER.  The team  suddenly started and pitched her forward, breaking both her arms, the left one in two places.

AUG 4:  A Negro calling himself W. W. SCOTT was arrested here yesterday by Dr. George M. O'HARA.  He was charged with murder committed near Paris, Tenn., five or six years ago.

AUG 11:  Mrs. Jefferson PHELPS of Murphysboro was blessed on Monday by the addition of a young lady to her family.

AUG 11:  George PRICE, whose death is mentioned in our Creal Springs letter, will be remembered by our people as having been employed by Charles GAGER as porter in the Newell House.  About seven years ago he married Miss Cassie STUART, a school teacher.  He was generally a steady young man, and we are sorry to learn he met his death while intoxicated.

AUG 11:  Conrad SCHRODT died at his residence in Murphysboro last Sunday.  He was a German by birth, age 48, a mechanic.  He carried on a boot and shoe business in Murphysboro for probably 20 years.  He was buried in Holiday Cemetery with rites of an Odd Fellow.

AUG 11:  Creal Springs.  The first death among our residents occurred on Saturday last.  On Thursday John PRICE (other article said George), while intoxicated, undertook to climb a tree and after reaching a height of 20 feet, he fell, striking upon his back.  He was taken to his home insensible and died Saturday evening, after suffering untold agonies.  This shows the wonderful healthfulness of this place - had to kill a man to start a graveyard.

AUG 11:  Mrs. F. R. YANCH, formerly Miss Kate E. MOORE, arrived at her mother's, Mrs. FELTES' residence last week from Houston, Texas.  She married YANCH about seven years ago.  He deserted her and the two children July 2.

AUG 18:  Last Wednesday at Fredonia a freight train on the St. Louis Coal Railroad, conducted by Thomas CRAIG, was on it's way to this place.  The engine dashed into a drove of cattle, wrecking the train.  John L. MAHAFFY, a brakeman, was thrown or jumped off, when a box car fell upon him, killing him instantly.  A sad blow to his parents, who lost their oldest son a year or so ago in a like accident.

AUG 18:  Lewis MARTIN, 62, died Wednesday last.  He was born in New York in 1821 and came to Carbondale in 1857.  He served in the army and was following the business of painting.  He became an invalid two years ago.  He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor.

AUG 18:  Married Aug. 16, by the Rev. HARRISON of the Episcopal Church, Mr. Charles A. BARBOUR Miss Nora BRUSH, all of this city.

AUG 25:  Noel PALMER is now operator at Jonesboro, Ark.  Stick to it till Christmas "Coots, " when you get homesick, think of the $50 bill coming in every month and compare it with the salaries of boys your age here.

AUG 25:  Mr. and Mrs. J. G. DARNOU and L. W. MARTIN Jr. thank their friends for assistance during the sickness and obsequies of Mr. L. W. MARTIN, their father and uncle.

AUG 25:  James Boyd RICHART is among his old friends for an extended visit.  He brought his little adopted daughter, Fannie, and will return to Florida in October.

AUG 25:  John "Jake" SWALLOW fell dead while cutting and setting up corn. He was found with a bundle of corn in his arms.  He was an Englishman by birth, 55 years old.  He left a wife and five children, one born just a week ago.  He has lived in this part of the country since the close of the war and claimed to have been a soldier in the Federal Army.  He had a wide reputation as a prize fighter and met and conquered Jake HIGHTOWER in a very few minutes

SEPT 15:  Married at the residence of the bride's mother, Sept. 12, Alexander LANE to Miss Belle HOLLAND, both colored.

OCT 6:  Married Oct. 4 at the residence of the bride's mother, Mrs. Sarah A. SNIDER, Samuel W. WARD to Miss Allie A. HINCHCLIFF.  

OCT 27:  William SCHUAAMAN lost a leg and was otherwise horribly mutilated by a circular saw on the Jonesboro road, five miles south of town.  He refused to take anesthetics and had the limb amputated without a murmur.

NOV 3:  Died at the Laclede Hotel, in this city, Oct. 23, Charles SMITH, age about 52. He enlisted in Co. P of the 18th Illinois Volunteers at Anna and was badly wounded in battle at Ft. Donelson and taken prisoner, but managed to escape.  After mustering out, he entered the United States marshal's service under Capt. PHILLIPS and  while performing his duty, was thrown from horse, the animal falling on him and injuring his spine, making him a cripple for life and finally causing his death.  He had lived at Laclede Hotel for the past four years.

NOV 3:  Married Oct. 28 by the Rev. J. D. GILLHAM, E. D. CANNON of this city and Mrs. Catharine ELLIS of DeSoto.

NOV 10:  Samuel MOORE, residing near Murphysboro, died Monday night.  He had been in Murphysboro during the day and drank freely, returning home.  He went to sleep on the railroad track of the narrow gauge railroad and was run over and killed.  His body was found the next morning.  He leaves a family.

NOV 10:  Jake HIGHTOWER is now in the county jail to answer the charge of murder of KENDRICK at   Boskydell, April 29, 1877.  Jake was arrested and O. P. HIGHTOWER was arrested as an accessory.   O. P. "Pet" was sentenced to 14 years and both escaped before Jake could go on trial.  Pet surrendered and was granted a new trial.  His charges were dismissed and he is now in Florida.

NOV 24:  A young man named Bud MOUNT, living in Johnson County, was instantly killed by lightning during the rain storm Wednesday.

NOV 24:  A postal card from our much esteemed friend, Hon. J. M. NORTH of Boulder, Colo., informs us that he will, about holidays, pay a visit to his old home.

NOV 24:  SILGAR is not to hang, at least not yet.  The Supreme Court granted him a new trial.

NOV 24:  In Williamson County, Albert DUNAWAY was sentenced to six years for assault to murder Hartwell HENDRICKSON about a year ago.

NOV 24:  The venerable road master of the Illinois Central Railroad, Michael HOAR, died on Nov. 10 in Cairo.  He had been in the employ of the Central for more than a quarter of a century.

DEC. 22:  Stephen CUNNINGHAM, for many years a resident of this place, was killed Thursday.  In company with his son, he was in the act of felling a tree on DUNAWAY's farm just east of town.  The tree fell on him.  He leaves a wife and several children.

Newspaper Index

Home Page

©copyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2014  Contributors retain all copyrights.