Jackson County, Illinois
THE OLD LOONEY SPRINGS CHURCH
Organized April 28th, 1850 by Rev. H.
S. Gordon, who was its first
pastor. This being the third house built, the first was built of logs,
the next of boards and plastered inside, this of brick and was erected in
1865, was 36x50 feet and 12 feet high;
one-half mile east of Campbell Hill,
Ill., and was torn down in 1900, although it had not been used since 1883,
when the new house was built in town. The original 9 members
were:: Jonathon McLaughlin, Jonathon Burlison, Mary Henry,
Sarah White, Serena Bradley, Mary White, Nancy Pettie, Jane Burlison, Susan
CAMPBELL HILL FREE BAPTIST CHURCH Better known as Looney Springs church, built in 1883, at a cost
of about $3,000 and is the first Free
church in this part
of the State, and is the one over which the difficulty arose
that resulted in the exclusion of Rev. H. S. Gordon from the Close Baptist
Church, and started the movement for Free Communion in 1850. Membership
is about 200 and has a neat five room parsonage adjoining. Its pastors
S. Gordon, 2 years; R.
A. Bradley ,7 years; Wm. Bradley, 11 years; H. S. Gordon, 2 years;
Wm. Bradley, 4years; G. A. Gordon, 1 year;
Wm. Bradley, 1 year; G. A. Gordon, 1 1/2 year;
Wm. Bradley, 2 1/2 years; G. A. Gordon, 1 year; J. W. Phelps, 2 years; T. O.
McMinn, 1 1/2 years; W. R. Wilson, 1 year; J. W. McMillan, 1 2/3 years; G. A. Gordon, 1 year;
H. S. Gordon, 3 years; G. A. Gordon, 1 year; J. L. Meads, 2 years;
A. J. Rendleman, 4 years.
Organized February 19th, 1875 by Revs. G.
A. Gordon and F.
20 members, J.H. Bradley and F.W. Smith deacons, C.C. Culley clerk, G.
Gordon pastor. 1885 discontinued meetings. Reorganized June 21st,
1893, by Revs. J. L. Meads, G.
P. McBride and G.
A. Gordon, with 12 members:
Mollie Benson, Mr. and Mrs. Lem Pate, Geo. C. Bagwill, Lillian B. Phoenix,
Lizzie Snider, Mr. and Mrs. John Poutson, Leander Bradley, Susan Bradley,
Missouri Berry and Bettie A. Phoenix. In this meeting 90 persons united
with the Church. Under the pastorate of Rev. J.
L. Meads the church
grew, and in 1895 they began to build, Rev. G. P. McBride, pastor. On
April 23d. 1896 this building was dedicated. Dr. H. M.Ford
delivered the sermon, September, 1898, Rev. J. L. Meads was called as pastor
again and remained two years. The present pastor is Rev. T. O. McMinn.
The church sustains weekly services, Sabbath school, prayer meeting
and A.C.F. society.
It has had frequent revivals and earned for itself a reputation for spirituality,
cleanliness and power.
TAMAROA CHURCH This church was organized December 7th, 1889, by Rev. M.A. Shepard
with 17 members, the result of tent meetings held by himself, Rev.
J. N. Noble, Carrie Nichols, Belle D. Sisson and W.
S. Smith, most if not
all the membership believing in Bible holiness.
Carter was the first pastor, until September, 1890.
F. Kirk served the church one year or until 1891, then
Rev. T. O. McMinn was called and served the church for seven years. It
was prosperous, enlarged its membership greatly and built a parsonage under
his pastorate. Then Rev. S. L. Morris was chosen pastor and
is now entering on his second year. Have a nice church worth about
$1,500, a comfortable parsonage worth about $800; have a prosperous Sunday
school, A.C.F. Society, W.F.M. Society, prayer meeting and Children's Band;
have given for home and foreign missions and education about $415. Added
to the church since organization about 200. A large number of converts
went to other churches, some have fallen by the way. The church is
PERCY CHURCH Erected in 1873 by Daniel Hartley and
A. Gordon, building
committee, and was first located in Steeleville, being built there in 1851
by Rev. H.
S. Gordon when he was excluded from the Missionary Baptist Church.
Site was removed to Percy when the railroads were built, thinking the
town would doubtless be moved. Rev. H.
S. Gordon was pastor of this
church over 30 years, G.
A. Gordon 10 years, R.
A. Bradley, Wm. Bradley, J.C.
Gilliland and W.F. Newell and J. H. Bagwill one year each, and the present
pastor is Rev. C. F. Stalker.
AVA FREE BAPTIST CHURCH Organized by Rev. H.
S. Gordon and Wm. Bradley October,1860, with
12 members, in an old log house west of Ave, Ill. Rev. Wm. Bradley
was pastor first four years, Rev. G.
D. Ward four years, Rev. A.
to Aug. 1874. Records lost up to Jan., 1886 when Revs.
and Thos. O. McMinn reorganized it in the Johnson's old store house with
11 members, as follows: A.
J. Grizzell and wife, B. L. Culley and wife,
W. B. Jernigan and wife, Gideon Carr and wife, Lucretia Cheatham, Nancy Payne
and Henrietta M. Husband. This meeting continued for six weeks,
closed with 82 members. G.
A. Gordon was pastor almost nine years, J.
L. Meads two years, and J.
J. Tatum has been the pastor since 1896. They
built the present house in 1890, near it a neat two-story seven-room parsonage.
From this church has gone out some of our best and most talented young
At Scheller, Ill., was organized by Revs. G. A. Gordon, J.C. Gilliland
and B. H. Keller, May 30th, 1897, with 30 members. Rev. T. O. McMinn
was its first pastor, and continued to serve the church for three years.
The present pastor is Rev. A. J. Cochran. They have a comfortable
house of worship, and some of the members were self-sacrificing and faithful
in its erection.
CHESTER FREE BAPTIST CHURCH
July, 1896, Revs. J. L. and W. E. Meads, J.
H. Bagwill and G.
A. Gordon began a series of tent meetings, which resulted in the organization,
August 2d, of a church with 6 members, as follows: A.G. Gordon,
Ella Short, Mary J. Hood, Mrs. Wm. Henson, Mrs. Hugh Crain and Mrs.
Geo. Hammet. Rev. Kate Veach Haines early took the place of Bro. Gordon
on the staff of workers. Soon proceeded to build a commodious brick
church house, and a seven-room parsonage. Membership now of 100. The
following have served as pastors; G.
A. Gordon, J.
C. Daisey, J.
H. Bagwill, G.
P. McBride and J. L. Meads, the present pastor. Officers are: A.G.
Gordon, H. H. Wilkinson and Wm. Hecht, trustees; H. H. Wilkinson and Geo. Azlyn, deacons; Cora Miller, Clerk and A.G. Gordon, treasurer. Sustains
a Sabbath school. Y. P. Society. Woman's Missionary society and Mite
society. The success of this church is mainly due to
the service and sacrifice of A.G. Gordon and the untiring efforts of Bro.
J. H. Bagwill while pastor of it.
& Memoirs Index
TRIPLES with EMMA