Genealogy Trails
Jackson County, Illinois

BRADLEY TOWNSHIP  

1878

Bradley Township lies in the extreme north-western part of the County, and was named in honor of Judge Wm. BRADLEY, a highly honored citizen of this county, whose services to the County deserved that his name be thus rescued from decay.

Bradley is bounded on the north by Randolph County, on the east by Ora and Ava, on the south, by the three townships of Ava, Kindkaid and Degognia and on the wet, by Randolph county, Degognia Creek being the line of demarcation.  Kinkaid and Beaucoup Creeks, have their source within its limits, the first, flowing to the southward and the latter, in a northeasterly direction.  It is further drained and watered by Degognia Creek and some of its eastern tributaries.

The St. Louis and Cairo Railroad enters it from the north and runs a south-easterly course through it, passing out in the east, a little more than a mile from the south line.

This township contained a few settlers before the organization of the State in 1818.

In contains one town, Campbell Hill, situated on the railroad named above, four miles from its rival, Ava.

This village was surveyed and laid off by Edward NEWSOME,  County surveyor, and certified to , on January 10th, 1874.  The plat was filed for record with R.W. HAMILTON, Circuit Clerk and Recorder, on the 19th of March in the same year.  St. Louis & C. R. R. has a station here, and Bradley is deserted, and its glory has paled in the presence of the more youthful competitor.

Campbell Hill claims a population of 300 inhabitants, and is under town organization.  The town officers are as follows: Dr. W.R. GORDON, President of the council;  Mr. MOHLENBROCK, Mr. UNDERWOOD, John McDONALD, Mr. DOWNEN and Peter STOFFLE.  George GORDON, is Clerk of the Board, and Henry LOY, is Magistrate.

The school-building is new, comfortable, and furnished with the best style of school-desks and seats.  It was built in 1877, at a cost to the taxpayers of about $1200, and reflects credit upon their taste and culture, and exhibits an interest in the cause of education, worth of commendation.

The hotel is kept by Mr. BENSON, and its reputation may be inferred, from the fact that it is at his hotel the passengers northward or southward on the railroad, get their dinners.

There is but one church edifice in the town, which was erected by the Baptist society, known as " Looney Spring" Church.  George GORDON is the pastor.  The building is of brick, and is not yet entirely finished.  This is the strongest religious organization in that part of the County.  Judge BRADLEY has been its pastor.  Among the members of this church, in its early years and at the present, mention is made of David UNDERWOOD, his sons and families, the GORDONS, the PHOENIXES, and DOWNENS.  A prosperous Sunday School is connected with the church.

GORDON & Co.,  are dealers in general mechandize,  Augustus DUDENBASTLE, is postmaster and dealer in dry goods and groceries.  John HANNS, has a drug store.  the custom and merchant mill, which was formerly run by Thomas WOODS is now operated by William MOHLENBROCK.  It is a large and well-conducted establishment, and affords the farmers a home market for their grain.

Among the substantial farmers of Bradley Township, or as it was called until of late years, Bradley precinct, we make mention of Cyrus BRADLEY, Mr. PHOENIX, Mr. TUCKER, Jonathan McDONALD, Mr. William DOWNEN, Peter STOFFLE, Mr. WARD, the UNDERWOODS.  Among the first settlers we mention Mrs. William KIMMEL, 1817, and Mr. BARROW.  Josiah CULLY came to settle in the Bradley settlement in 1836.

A very considerable portion of this township consists of land suitable for agricultural purposes.  In the eastern part, the land is somewhat broken, but of good quality; in south and west the surface is smooth.  Some exceedingly well tilled farms are found in this section and the traveler through Bradley meets evidence of thrift and plenty on every hand.  the people are honest and wide-awake, and are marching abreast of the times.  The old log school houses have largely disappeared, and new frame buildings, comfortably seated and well lighted, are superseding them.

This was all heavily timbered before "his echoing axe, the settler swung", and there is yet an abundance of the very best timber.  Good qualities of building stone abound. 

History Index

Home Page

 

©copyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2013  All Rights Reserved