Jackson County, Illinois
HISTORY OF DEGOGNIA TOWNSHIP
Township was designated and organized in
1872. The name came from Degognia Creek
which was named for a Frenchman of that
name. He was one of the early settlers in
the Township. The township lies in the
northwestern part of the county and is almost
triangular in shape. Mr. Degognia was
supposedly the first settler and died in the
township. In 1804, a Mr. Reed settled on the banks
of the creek and built a cabin. His only
neighbor, a Mr. Jones, murdered him.
No positive motive was ever established but it has
been said that it was to gain the money and few
traps that Mr. Reed had. Jones was arrested
and taken to Kaskaskia, given a trial, found
guilty and sentenced to death. It was the
first murder and the first hanging in the
early settlers were James ISOM,
John LUNEY, William B.
PIKE, Jr. Pierson and William
DUNCAN and Enoch
first school house was built in 1839 on the ISOM
property. It was called the "Hopewell
School". The first teacher was Mr.
GATEWOOD and the second was Mr.
HOLTWORTH. In 1848 Dr.
HODGE taught there.
physician was Dr. Hezekiah C.
HODGE who settled in 1847. The
first sermon was supposedly preached by Rev.
Robert P. GENTRY a member of
Missionary Baptist. The sermon was preached at the
Hopewell School. The first actual church was the
Buchanan Church. The first mill was built by Mr.
Henry ALBRIDGE in 1848. It
was a saw mill. Henry BEAUVAIS
kept the first store and it was on the
bank of the Mississippi.
©copyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2013
All Rights Reserved