Genealogy Trails

Jackson County, Illinois


   

Woodmen of America Camps
Jackson County, Illinois

History

The great order, the Modern Woodmen of America, has made wonderful strides of late years and has come particularly into public attention and favor, not only because of its safe, cheap and comprehensive system of life insurance, but because of the exceptional work it has done in the way of protecting its members from the stings of
adverse fortune and softening the pangs of disease, death and calamity.
When the irresistible waters of the turbid Mississippi spread over hundreds of acres, carrying destruction and disaster to farmer and laboring man, it was the Head Camp of the Modern Woodmen that voted a large gum of money and sent an agent to see that it was applied to the relief of neighbors who had suffered from the flood.
But this was only doing on a large scale what almost every camp in the United States has done in a small way over and over again- every year of its existence. Its mission has been one of mercy—to bury the dead, nurse the sick, feed the hungry, and hold a provident and protecting arm over the widow and the fatherless. It is also the inveterate enemy of intemperance no taint of the curse of rum can enter its ranks. In fact, its laws require sound manhood, both  physically and morally. No wonder then that its membership is rapidly approaching the million mark, being now over 750,000. It is not only the leading fraternal - beneficiary order in the world, but in the past ten years has acquired a larger number of new members than any fraternal society in the United States, The recent scandals resulting from investigating  the three great "old-line" life insurance companies of New York has led the public to believe that fraternal insurance is the best and safest after all, and as a consequence the
Woodmen and similar orders have experienced an astonishing increase in business. In Jackson county Woodcraft has taken a firm bold, and every year sees its rank increase in numbers, strength and confidence. Below we give a number of reports from the ten camps Some of them have failed to report In time for this issue, which we very much regret


Camps In the County

Murphysboro, No. 4879.
Carbondale, No. 4904.
Ava, No. 7008.
Vergeunes, No. 7307.
Grand Tower, No. 7405.
Campbell Hill, No. 7428.
Makanda, No. 7956.
DeSoto, No. 8083.
Logan (Aya), No. 10754.
Pomona, No. 11475.

 


Carbondale Camp

This camp was instituted in July, 1897, by Deputy E. A. MacMillan, with
a membership of eleven, a special dispensation being required from the
Head Consul to secure a charter. Its early days were full of trials and tribulations. The camp treasury was little more
than a name and meetings were
held in private offices for some time before the members felt justified in
renting Odd Fellows Hall, where the meetings are now held.

The first meeting was held in the office of R. E. Renfro, then situated
up stairs over what Is now the Toler & Lewis drug store. Those initiated as
charter members were A. S. Caldwell, Sam Edmonds, Albin Z. Glick, George
M. Hill, W. H. Hudson, Jr., Wm. 0. Marten, J. M. Kelly, S. S. Kimmel, J.
T. McAnallyy, Robt. E. Renfro and Ed E. Yingling. Meetings were subsequently held in the same place and
also in the offices of A. S. Caldwell and P. L. Olaxton.
E E Yingling was the first consul and E. E. Renfro the clerk. Other
consuls have been W. 0. Marten, A Z. Glick, J. J. Hill, Judge W. F. Ellis,
J. Ed House and Ed E. Miller: Other clerks have been W, H. Hudson, Jr.
Perry L. Olaxton, W. A. Perce,- E. B Meisenheimer, Ed E. Miller, L. R
Harrington and J. B. Toler. Carbondale camp now numbers 116 members.

It has a deputy of its own, W. A. Perce, who holds'his commission under District
Deputy Geo. R Dodd, of New Columbia. Its membership is rapidly growing and its
financial condition is excellent. The work it has done in this community in
the way of relieving sickness and distress speaks volumes for the order.
The past year has been especially fruitful in opportunities for this kind
of work and a standing committee was appointed with the necessary powers
to expedite the work of relief.
This camp meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month. The
recent installation is fitly described in the following clipping from the DAILY
FREE PRESS of the 10th inst.:
The Modern Woodman meeting last night was largely attended and very
interesting. The camp was called to order at 7 o'clock for the ordinary
routine of business. At 8 o'clock the Royal Neighbors and a number of
other guests were invited in to witness the .installation, which was conducted by Deputy W. A. Perce. The
officers for the new year.are:
Ben Newsome, consul.
F. L. Mayhew, advisor.
W. R. Lipe, banker,
D. C. Brown, clerk.
J. R. Sullivan, escort.
J. T. McAnally, physician.
Wm, Helton, sentry.
John O'Brian, watchman.
Ed E. Miller, manager.
At the close of this ceremony a "love feast" was held, quite a number
of short speeches being made, not only by Woodmen and Royal Neighbors, but by several visitors, including.
Revs. Tate, Dillon and Hoar. The most remarkable feature "of the occasion was the prevailing good feeling and high expectations for the
future that was evident in every utterance. The order has done a good
work in this community during the past year in relieving distress and sickness.
The retiring consul, Ed E. Miller, was the recipient of an elegant rug, designed with the emblems of the
order, presented as a token of appreciation for his faithful and zealous services. D. C. Brown made the
presentation speech which was feelingly responded to by Mr. Miller.

Royal Neighbors

Carbondale also boasts a flourishing camp of Royal Neighbors, which was
organized in July, 1903. The, order now numbers twenty-one members
and is rapidly growing under the care of the deputy, Mrs. J. E. Entsminger.
The present corps of officials consists of—
Oracle, Mrs. Ellen Grant.
Vice Oracle, Mrs. Hattie Mayhew.
Recorder, Mrs. Travis.
Receiver, Mrs. Rauch.
Chancellor, Mrs. Gentry.
Marshal, Mrs, Elenore Wagner.
Inner Sentinel, Mrs. Al Starkweather.
Outer Sentinel, Mrs. Hart.
Manager, Dr. Ed Entsminger.
Physician, Dr. J. T. McAnally.
The election was held December 15, l906,and the installation will be held January 19,1906. Tne camp is called
Miller camp, No. 3424. Hold-over managers are W. R. Fraley and J. E. House.

Grand Tower Camp

Grand Tower, camp came Into, existence December 25, 1899—Christmas day—with G. M. Walker as consul;
Henry M.-Grammer,'advisor; Sam Blandford, banker; , Ozea Dickson, clerk; J. W. Davie, escort; W. M.
Baysinger, physician; and W. M. Baysinger, Philip Folkel and Henry M.
Grammer, managers. Charles Wilson was the first chief forester. The
present officers are: V. C., Sam Blandford.
W. A., J. J. Simpson.
E. B., J. W. Davie.
Cleric, J. Packman
Escort, J.W. Greenwell
Physician, M. W. Baysinger.
Watchman, Joseph Burns.
Sentry, W. M. Tackwell.
Managers:
J. J. Simpson,
J. E. Collins and M. W. Baysinger.

DeSoto Camp

May 11, 1900, was the birthday of DeSoto camp, but we speak without
fear of contradiction when we say that there is not in the county a more
zealous and whole-souled set of "woodchoppers." The membership
now numbers forty-two, two of whom are "social" members and carry no
insurance. This represents insurance in force of 865,000. The camp meets
the first and third Tuesdays,.of each month.
The original corps of officers consisted of
Robert Everett, consul;
P. K. Friedline, advisor;
L. F. Redd, banker;
T. J. Eedd, clerk;
J. Cochran, escort;
Geo. W. Ellis, watchman,
P. H. Beasley, sentry;
Joseph Kelley, Chas. Heberer and Philip Klamp,
managers.
Robert Everett, M. M. Brayshaw, Adam Heberer, T. H. Redd,
Chas. Friedline and John T. Wasson have each in turn served as consul of
the camp. Only-one member has been lose by death—Chas. Friedline,
who passed away March 2,1905, durng his term as Venerable Consul.
The installation of officers for the present year occurred on Tuesday, the 9th inst and the following is on the roll:
V. C., John Ebersohl.
W. A., Geo. Hogan.
E. B., Thos. P. Carter.
Clerk, A. J. Mann.
Escort, Jacob C. Ebersohl.
Physicians, Frank Deason and T. J. Foster,
Watchman, Geo. W. Ellis.
Sentry, Ed Dunning.
Managers: Geo. W. Ellis, J. L.
Culley and Wm. Rich.

Campbell Hill Camp.

This camp was installed January 2, 1900. The first set of officers were W. W. Lawder, consul; H. F. Dudenbostel, adviser; J. S. Hall, banker;
E. G. M. Knapp, clerk; C. S. A. Lutley, escort; E. H. Blette, watchman; Wm.Stoffel, sentry. The camp meets the second and fourth Mondays of each
month. It has lost by death four beneficiary members and one social, and has. paid in death claims $6,000.
The officers elect for 1906 are:
V. C., Edward G. M. Knapp.
W. A., Chas. Webkemier.
E . B . , L . E. Minter.
Clerk, H. F. Dudenbostel.
Escort, Wm. Brandhorst.
Physician, Dr. Geo. Hoffman.
Watchman, J.C. Musgrave.
Sentry, John Stoffel.
Managers: E. G. M. Knapp, S. E.
Montroy and Geo. Stoffel.

 

Logan Camp

This camp was instituted June 21, 1902. It is located near Glenn postoffice, and the clerk's address is Ava.
The time of meeting is the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. Their newly elected officers were to have
been installed last Saturday night, the 13th inst,, and are as follows:
V. C., C. M. Bardmass.
W. A., C. R. McObeneficiary members and one social,
and has. paid in death claims $6,000.
The officers elect for 1906 are:
V. C., Edward G. M. Knapp.
W. A., Chas. Webkemier.
E . B . , L . E. Minter.
Clerk, H. F. Dudenbostel.
Escort, Wm. Brandhorst.--
Physician, Dr. Geo. Hoffman.
Watchman, J.C. Musgrave.
Sentry, John Stoffel.
Managers: E. G. M. Knapp, S. E.
Montroy and Geo. Stoffel.
Logan Camp.
This camp was instituted June 21, 1902. It is located near Glenn postoffice, and the clerk's address is Ava.
The time of meeting is the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. Their newly elected officers were to have
been installed last Saturday night, the 13th inst,, and are as follows:
V. C., C. M. Bardmass.
W. A., C. R. McCormick.
E. B., J. W. Bilderback,
Clerk, D. R.Talbot.
Escort, Hubert Bilderback.
Physicians, John Bennett and J. W. Smith
Watchman, W. F. Jones.
Sentry, W. A. Elliott.
Managers: B. W. Vanover, H. C. Austin and Albert Errett.

Ava Camp

This camp was instituted September 19, 1899, and now has one. hundred benaflciary and two social members.
The camp meets in Odd Fellows' hall the first and third Friday nights of
each month, and extends a special invitation to visiting members. Instalation for 1906 occurred on the 5th of
the present month, and was largely attended, the same occasion witnessing the induction.of three candidates
into the mysteries of the forest. On the 19th inst. (next Friday) they will give a progressive domino party in
their hall. The roll of past consuls is a notable one, Including Rev. J. J. Tatum, a
minister of the Free Baptist denomination and a highly esteemed Woodman, and S. D. Lee, who for some time
held a commission from Deputy A. N. Rooks. The others are Dr. J. Bennett, J. J. Nelson, C. E. Neil, J. L. Isom and O. R. Clendenin. Another notable
event, and , one of which both thecamp and the individual feel justly proud, is that J. G. Hagenlocher, for his good work during the past year
the cause of Woodcraft received a certificate of efficiency from the Head Camp, a distinction rarely conferred.
The official roll for 1906 is:
V. C. Ernest H. Isom.
W. A., A. W. Williams.
E. B., Chas. S. Gordon.
Clerk, J. G. Hagenlocher.
Escort, W. J. Ward.
Physician, Dr. John Bennett.
Watchman, W. L, Qualls.
Sentry, O. R. Clendenin.
Managers: O. R. Clendenin, A. W. Williams and Henry Valentin.

Vergennes Camp

Woodcraft began its existence in Vergennes December 12,1899, with a membership of twenty. It has now
grown to seventy-five and is still growing. The first set of officers were:
M. J. Quigley, consul; Hardy Crews, advisor; A. J. Woodard, banker; Zardia Orain, Clerk; J. H. Davis, escort; Dr. H-. G. Horstman,
physician; W.'A.Seyferth, watchman; C: 0. Allard, sentry; John Blacklock', Joseph Fulton and Wm. Williams, managers.
The Vergennes Woodmen have in procees of construction and nearly completed a two story building, 20x60 feet, with a business room below and
lodge hall above. The newly elected officers are:
V. C., C. O. Allard
W. A., Solomon Deason
E. B., John Blacklock
Clerk, Geo. E. Purdy
Escort, J. S. Fulton
Physieian, Dr. H. G. Horstman
Watchman, Richard W. Cox
Sentry, John Holmes
Managers, Hardy Crews, James T.Hood and Wm. F, Young.

Pomona Camp

A little over two years measures the existence so far of the camp at Pomona, having been instituted December 23,1903. Yet it has a membership
of forty-three beneficial members, owns its own hall, and is in good condition financially. The new official roll for this year is as follows:
V. C., A. J. Gregory.
W. A., Ben jr Runion.
E. B., Willis Stearns.
Clerk, Chas. Flemings.
Escort, Jesse Minton.
Physician, Willis Stearns.
Watchman, J. W. Etherton.
Sentry, Wiley Phillips.
Managers: J. J. Travelstead, Harry Bridgeman and Henry Etherton.

source: Jan 17, 1906 Freedom Press Woodcraft in Jackson County
Submitted by Janice Rice


   

Home Page

©copyright Genealogy Trails 2008-2013  All Rights Reserved