1888 List of Jasper County Teachers

As published in the Newton Press on Nov. 28, 1888

Early History, Development, List of Teachers, Etc.
©Transcribed by Kim Torp


No state in the Union possesses better schools or more of them in proportion to the wealth and population than Illinois. In addition to the district public schools, supported by taxation and at which children between certain years are required to attend, there is the university at Champaign, endowed by the state, which was designed for those who wish a finished educating (sic), the training or normal colleges at Bloomington and Carbondale for teachers, and numerous institutions of learning founded by societies or individuals, all ranking high, reflecting credit upon their management.

Within the past few years Jasper county has made rapid strides in educational matters and today can boast of as good schools as any county in the state. Through the courtesy of J. F. Arnold, county superintendent, we are enabled to publish a complete roster of the teachers, their schools, and post office address when at home.

Name of Teacher

School Taught At

Home Post Office

Alice Adams

Miller

Montrose

Minnie Adams

Grove

Wheeler

Lillie Patterson

Independence

Gila

H.B. Downs

Shiloh

Gila

Laura McComas

Frazier

Rose Hill

J.J. Wallace

Coverstone

Gila

J.S. Diel

Myers

Gila

Elma Maxwell

Kern

Newton

Geo. S. Batman

Kibler

Wheeler

Sylvia Sherman

Prairie

Montrose

Clara Harrah

Mason

Gila

J.W. Null

Wheeler

Wheeler

Viola Groves

Mercer

Latona

D.V.Kirkham

Holm

Wheeler

Geo. Huddleston

Trexler

Latona

J.A. Batman

Barrett

Latona

M.T. Patterson

Slate Point

Wheeler

Ed Bevis

Cherry Grove

Newton

B.F. Holm

Matlock

Wheeler

J.M. Kirkham

Latona

Latona

Dora Goodrich

Dan Grove

Latona

W.R. Carrico

Burnside

Bogota

J.W. McKean

Kedron

Newton

Geo. H. Myers

Garuler

Newton

I.O. Reed

Worthy

Newton

Robert Chestnut

Crouse

Bogota

R.J. Kasserman

Germantown

Newton

Hattie Richardson

Rude?

Newton

C.S. James

Union

Newton

M.T. Pugh

Mason

Ingraham

J.A. Fuson

Brown

Wakefield

Genie Wilson

Jackson

Newton

Victoria Stuart

Bogota

Bogota

Lillian M. James

Long Branch

Newton

F.A. Louis

Pleasant Ridge

Newton

E.E. Slack

Center

Bogota

R.C. Rice

Blair

West Liberty

Lizzie Kellam

Amity

West Liberty

Wilmer Dickerson

Maple Grove

West Liberty

A.W. Mace

Compton

West Liberty

A.E. Compton

Boos

Boos Station

Bruce Moffitt,

Vanderhoof

Newton

Frank Stucker

Ochs

Ste. Marie

J.L. McCormack

West Liberty

West Liberty

Li- (possibly Lissa) Hitch

West Liberty

West Liberty

Minnie E. Wickham

Raeftown

West Liberty

Alex Gangloff

Pond Grove

Ste. Marie

Henry Weber

Ste. Marie

Ste. Marie

Louis Bolander

Ste. Marie

Ste. Marie

Wm. E. Kendall

South Bend

Oblong

Ellen Pictor

Middle Bend

Ste. Marie

W.B. ---

North --

Falsmouth

Nellie O'Brien

Lipelmann?

Ste. Marie

M-anie Johnson

Long Swam?

Newton

J.H. Dugan

Johnson

Winterrowd

N.S. Scovell

Newton

Newton

Nan Cummins

Newton

Newton

Electa Ransom

Newton

Newton

Lola M. Brown

Newton

Newton

Josie Kinsel

Newton

Newton

Annie L. Bridges

Newton

Newton

Edith Walker

Newton

Newton

Birdie Ward

Newton

Newton

H.S. Winterrowd

Moulden

Newton

Lizzie DeBoard

Miller

Newton

Ada Lingenfelter

Trainor

Newton

T.J. Phillips

Foote

Wheeler

Lulu Love

Bunker Hill

Newton

May Taylor

Wakefield

West Liberty

A.L. Large

Buck Grove

Newton

O.W. Smith

Hickory

Newton

Effie Prather

Foltz

Wheeler

Ella Mitchell

McDaniel

Newton

D.R. Love

Love

Falmouth

Otto Cummins

Sweet Run

Rose Hill

Albert Cherry

Code

Hidalgo

Wm. Houser

Hutson

Hidalgo

Dallas F. Hunt

Liberty

Hidalgo

Susie Kibler

Swick

Rose Hill

S.A. Connor

Plainfield

Rose Hill

J.M. Bowers

East Plainfield

Rose Hill

J.C. Conner

Rose Hill

Rose Hill

E.E. Burton

Jones

Falmouth

Anna Kellam

Center

Newton

Geo. W. McCauley

Ste. Peter

Newton

P.A. Coleman

Plugtown

Willow Hill

Josie Holdren

Bird

Newton

Alice Billman

Cummins

Rose Hill

Mattie Mouroney

Melton

Yale

Mattie Hoggins

Point Pleasant

Advance

L.L. Meeker

Advance

Hazel Dell

Tama Roberts

Yale

Yale

Carrie Richards

Yale

Yale

I.I. Cramer

Jarrett

Yale

B.F. Foltz

Hickory

Falmouth

Ida Thompson

Round Prairie

Bell Air

Nancy Caldwell

Union

Bell Air

Amelia Westerman

Schneider

Hunt City

Wm. N. Jeffers

Clark

Hunt City

Sarah Roberts

Hunt City

Hunt City

Nancy Jeffers

Parr

Hunt City

Ira Madden

Brockville

Hunt City

James Whittaker

Chriss

Willow Hill

Emma L. Flocken

Keeler

Rose Hill

H.F. Dickey

Little Range

Hunt City

Geo. B. Thompson

Whittaker

Willow Hill

W.G. Coons

Jackville

Oblong

Minnie Stifle

Mound

Willow Hill

H.M. Kasserman

Onion Prairie

Newton

Carrie Ince

Willow Hill

Willow Hill

W.A. Swaren

Willow Hill

Oblong

Wm. G. Reed

Richard

Newton

-.M. Hale

Hunt City

Kibbie (Kibble?)

The whole number of teachers is 113; number of school buildings, 102


The Newton schools of course take the lead and under the able superintendent of Prof. N.S. Scovell are recognized as far superior to that of many towns of twice the population.


The Jasper County History, 1882, says:

The school interest of Jasper county developed slowly, and is was not until 1876 that they began to take rank with those of the surrounding counties. The first district was established in March, 1838 and included townships 6 and 7 in range 9, and included seventy-two square miles. The school house was then in Newton and was used for school purposes, court and church. It was a little log building, and now, weather-boarded so as almost to lose its identity, serves as a marble cutter's shop. The early schools were of the subscription sort where the children learned the rudiments of a pioneer education, aptly described in the "Hoosier Schoolmaster" as "lickin' and larnin'". As the county settled up, and communities began to form in various parts of the county, schools were maintained in each neighborhood until the free school system of the present gave freer access to the civilizing influence of education. In 1855, T.J. Martin was one of the directors in the Newton district. Up to this time a single-storied building had served the purposes of schoolroom, and even this was so dilapidated as to create apprehensions in regard to the safety of the children. Mr. Martin determined to secure a better building and partly by his exertions and partly by his own money, a two-story frame school house was secured. This was considered by a majority of the patrons as a very extravagant project. It was confidently predicted that Newton would never have pupils enough to fill it, and when the directors went further and hired two lady teachers at $25 per month each, the indignant surprise of the community could be restrained no longer. The county superintendent of that time remonstrated with them on such extravagance, pictured the bankruptcy that was sure to follow and cited the --- that his wife, when a girl, worked for 75 cents and $1 a week. But it did not convince the directors of their error and the event proved that Martin and his backers were in the right way. In the fall of 1876, the present brick structure was erected at a cost of some $6,600; it has five departments, six teachers.


In 1885, an addition was built to the school house, the whole forming the structure shown in the cut here given. Three departments and two teachers were added.

The Newton Press, November 28, 1888


Return to the Main Index Page