Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
LLOYD BAILEY is a native of Fayette County, Ohio, was born January 12, 1834. and is a son
of Ludwell W. and Margaret (Skelly) Bailey, both natives of Virginia, who early settled in Fayette County, Ohio,
were there married, and lived on a farm. Lloyd Bailey was sent to the pioneer schools of the period, and also worked
for his father until the year 1852, when he moved to Grandville Township. Jasper County, III., and entered a portion
of land. January 1855, he married Lucy A., daughter of Samuel and Gracie (Taylor) Weaver, a union which was enriched
by twelve children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Mary M., Lloyd N., Jerome B., Ludwell J., Francis T.. Alta
I. and George E. Mr. Bailey is proprietor of a desirable farm, comprising 200 acres, improved, and containing considerable
stock: it is also embellished by a fine brick dwelling, the only one in the township. Mr. Bailey is a man who has
made himself. His wife is a member of the New Light Church.
JAMES McCORD BARLOW, M. D., a highly esteemed physician of Grandville,
is a native of Crawford County, Ill., was born September 21. 1828. and is a son of John W. and Elizabeth S. (Gordon)
Barlow, who were natives of Virginia, but settled in what is now the State of Illinois, at that time a part of
the Northwest Territory, on Shaker Prairie, in 1816. Mr. Barlow was a master Mason, having joined that Order in
182'); he died October 8, 1863, and his wife October 13, 1861). Dr. Barlow attended school about one fourth of
each year, and during the remainder labored on the home farm. In 1839, he removed to Clark County, Ill., attended
school for a time, then commenced the study of medicine under Dr. T. C. Moore and Dr. Churchill at Wheat field,
and in 1850 and 1851 attended the Rush Medical College at Chicago, and afterward began practice at Bell Air, Crawford
County. June 29, 1851, he married Cynthia A., daughter of Lewis Bradshaw, with an issue of five children, of whom
three are living, Adrian, Ida and Edith. In 1860, he resumed lectures at Rush Medical College, whence he graduated
in March, 18(U. In 1862, he moved to Edgar County (where his wife died, October 28 1862), and thence, in 1865,
to Crawford County. July 11. 1865, he married Ellen, daughter of Judge James B. Trimble, who died July 17, 1878,
leaving two children, Arthur and Ethelbert September 29, 1881, Dr. Barlow married Mrs. Maggie Boyd. He has an extensive
practice, and has had a drugstore since 1864. Dr. Barlow is a Royal Arch Mason, and a liberal Democrat.
JOHN BATES was born in Fayette County. Ind., April 7, 1827, and is a son
of John and Polly (Pelley) Bates, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Ohio, who were early settlers
of Bourbon County. Ky., where they were married. The Bates family moved to Fayette County, Ind.,
in 1824, where John Bates, Sr., owned a fine farm and had some of the best stock to be found. Our subject attended
school in the house in which he was born, and afterward worked on the home farm until December 4, 1850, when he
married Angeline W., daughter of Minor Thomas, of Fayette County, Ind., which union gave being to two children,
William O. and Emma. After marriage, Mr. Bates remained in Fayette County, and gave his entire time to stock raising.
In 1863, he began to exhibit his horses and mules, and always took first premiums therefor. In 1880, he purchased,
and now occupies, the Cooper mansion and lands, having now one of the finest stock farms in the county, where he
breeds Norman horses, Short horn cattle and Poland China hogs, for which he has taken the ribbons at the State
and county fairs. Mr. Bates is a liberal Democrat and a deacon in the Christian Church, and Mrs. Bates belongs
to the Baptist Church. Mr. Bates' father died in 1871, and his mother in 1882; his daughter Emma married James
A. Buchanan, now a partner with his father-in-law. They have two children, Mercy and William B.
JOHN BENSON is a native of Virginia, born August 3, 1818, and is a son
of James and Euphemia (Stout) Benson, the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Virginia, where they were
married. James Benson was a sailor, and served in the Revolutionary war, after the close of which he settled in
Virginia, became a farmer, and in 1824 emigrated with his family to Edgar County, Ill., where John attended school
and worked at farm work. In 1849, he married Jane Horsley, of Kentucky, who died in 1878, leaving six out of a
family of eleven born to them, viz.: William H., Robert E., Anna M., Mary E., Matilda E. and David B. Having entered
land in Grandville Township, he moved thereon in 1851 and built a large house, known as the "Yale House"
and kept by him since 1878. March, 1879, he married Mrs. Anna A. Clark, daughter of Benjamin Stump, of Jasper County.
Mr. Benson has a good farm of 120 acres, and a grocery at the station. While a resident of Edgar County he was
twice elected Sheriff, also served two terms as Justice of the Peace, and sixteen years as School Treasurer of
Jasper County. He is now a notary public, and politically a Democrat. He and wife are members of the United Brethren
Church, of which he is steward and trustee.
ROBERT S. BYERS, M. D., is a native of Johnson County, Ind., was born April
10, 1851, and is a son of Benjamin and Nancy E. (Kelly) Byers, both natives of Kentucky and early settlers in Indiana.
Dr. Byers, after attending subscription school and working for his father, commenced reading medicine with Dr.
R. D. Miller, of Trafalgar, Ind., and in 1878 became a student at the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis,
from which he graduated in 1880, and afterward located in the village of Grandville for the practice of his profession.
October 6, 1870, he wedded Caroline E., daughter of James and Emily McFadden, which marriage was productive of
one child, Eva J. Dr. Byers has a large and lucrative practice, reaching far into the surrounding
country. He owns a fine home, and is so circumstance as to enjoy independence and the comforts of life. He is a
Republican, and now serving as Town Clerk. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist, and Mrs. Byers of the Methodist
DR. NORMAN COMSTOCK was born October 15, 1811, at Troy, N. Y., was educated
at Fairfield College, and in his profession at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. When nineteen years old,
he located at Greenville, Ind., as a practitioner, and afterward in Dubois County. At the age of thirty he wedded
Rachel Harris and moved to Crawford County, Ill., where he followed his profession successfully, and in 1861 moved
to Westfield on account of educational advantages for his family. In 1862, he raised a company for the One Hundred
and Twenty Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, of which he was commissioned First Lieutenant and afterward Captain,
which positions he filled with much honor until disabled while on duty, which disability compelled him to abandon
the practice of medicine, so that he lived thereafter a quiet, Christian life until his death, October 28, 1882.
His wife died January 22,1880, at Paris, Ill. Dr. Carl L. Comstock, son of the above, was born in Dubois County,
Ind., April 2, 1845, and divided his time between farm work and school until August 14, 1862, when he joined Company
E, One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving at Perryville and Milton, after which battles
he was discharged in December, 1862, then returned to Westfield and clerked in a drugstore. In 1867, he read medicine
with his father, later attended lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich., and then began practice at Bell Air, Ill. December
21, 1871, lie married Lueretia, daughter of Geo. W. Mitchell, of Crawford County, with an issue of four children,
one of whom is living, Charles M. After marriage. Dr. Comstock located at Harrisburg, Jasper County, afterward
in Dubois County, Ind., and in 1879 where he now is, having purchased forty acres, and is at present in the timber
trade. He is a Master Mason, and was made deputy Past Master in 1883. He is also a charter member of Coblenz Post.
G. A. R.
JOHN R. CRAMER is a native of Licking County, Ohio, was born June 15, 1820,
and is a son of Isaiah and Mary (Reed) Cramer, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Maryland, who early
came to, and were married in Licking County, Ohio. After some education at the schools of the day, John R. Cramer
worked as a farmer, saved some money, and June 15, 1843, married Elizabeth, daughter of David and Christina (Myers)
Allen, both formerly of Pennsylvania. This union gave birth to ten children, seven of whom are living, Alvin J.,
Reuben L., John W., Millard F., Martin H. Amos L. and Mary C. In 1848, Mr. Cramer moved to Grandville Township,
Jasper County, Ill., where he entered and improved land which has become a homestead of 220 acres, and under good
cultivation. Mr. Cramer is a general farmer, with some stock, and comfortably circumstance. He
had three sons in the Union army, one of whom, Alvin, was killed at the battle of Farmington, Tenn. Mr. Cramer
is a Republican, and an esteemed citizen, and Mrs. Cramer is a members of the United Brethren Church.
WILLIAM A. GIFFORD is a son of Levi and Margaret (Freeman) Gifford, both
natives of North Carolina, who moved to Indiana about 1829. Lovi Gifford was a farmer. William A. Gifford was born
November 14, 1839. His parents moved to Coles County, 111., in 1840, and entered 160 acres in Grandville Township,
where Mr. Gifford died in 1846. The grandfather of our subject, William Freeman, then removed the family to their
old home in Johnson County, Ind., where William A. went to school and worked on the farm. In 1854, his mother died,
when he came with an Uncle, Isaac Gifford, to Jasper County, Ill., where he labored until October 3, 1858, at which
period he married Emily, daughter of Rev. Henry Clark. After his marriage, Mr. Gifford located on the 160 acres
entered by his father, and worked and improved the same. August 14, 1862, he enlisted in Company E., One Hundred
and Twenty Third Volunteer (afterward Mounted) Infantry. He was a Corporal, and served in the battles of Perryville,
the pursuit of John Morgan, Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga, and with General Sherman in the Atlanta campaign. He was
discharged, July, 1865, after which he again took up the plow. He has now a good home and farm of 200 acres; is
a general farmer with some supply of stock. He is a Republican, and served six years as Commissioner of Highways.
Mr. and Mrs. Gifford have had born to them four children, Oliver T., Cyrena F. (deceased), Lillie M. and Allie
A. They are members of the United Brethren Church, of which Mr. Gifford is a trustee. He was largely interested
in building the Otterbein Church, the first in Jasper County.
ABRAM S. HUDDLESTUN is a son of George and Susannah (Slack) Huddlestun,
natives of Virginia, and was born in Bedford County, Va., September 23, 1803. He went to school in the old pioneer
school houses of those early years, and also labored at farm work until he attained his majority. April 23,1829,
he married Elizabeth Dickerson, and to them were bestowed seven children, five of whom are living, Sarah J., Mary
A., James A., William H., and Worden B. In 1833, Mr. Huddlestun moved to Kentucky, and there farmed for several
years. In 1847, he removed to this township, entered 140 acres of wild land, some of which he improved, and here
experienced the varied hardships of those early settlers. He has now 175 acres, making a fine farm and a good home.
Mr. Huddlestun is a Democrat, an esteemed citizen, and a member of the Baptist Church since the year 1833.
JAMES W. HUDDLESTUN is a son of Barnett G. and Susan (Winter)
Huddlestun, who were natives of Virginia and early settlers in Kentucky, where James W. first saw the light, February
17, 1839. He attended school and worked on the home farm until 1850, when his father removed to, and located in
Grandville Township, Ill. May 11,1861, he married Miss R. Adamson, whose father, Zedekiah Adamson, settled here
in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Huddlestun have had three children born to them, two of which number are yet living, Sarah
J. E-, and Ira W. Mr. Huddlestun has a well cultivated and improved farm, with a fair amount of stock, and is in
comfortable circumstances. He is politically, a member of the Democratic ranks, a very worthy gentleman, and a
much esteemed citizen. Mrs. Huddlestun is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
GEORGE JEFFERS was born near Lexington, Ky., January 4, 1817, and is the
eldest of the ten children of Robert and Nancy (Tapp) Jeffers, (the latter of Indian descent), who were natives
respectively of North Carolina and Kentucky, and married January, 1816- Robert Jeffers was a soldier of the war
of 1812, the land-warrant for which service he located in Kentucky, and in 1827, moved to Henry County, where George
W. attended school and worked for his father. August 23, 1835, he married Elizabeth Rich, of Kentucky, who died
November 23, 1843, having been the mother of three children, all deceased. In 1836, he entered land in Crawford
County, Ill., which he improved, and on which he raised considerable stock. April 9, 1845, he married Eliza Grove,
of Jasper County, Ill., and after a short residence in Wisconsin, he returned to Jasper County, and located in
Wade Township. By his second marriage, Mr. Jeffers became father to eleven children, of whom seven are living,
Louisa L., George F., Robert P., William N., Andrew S., Nancy J. and Thomas M. Mr. Jeffers established the first
saw-mill in the county, and entered 160 acres in Grandville Township, to which he moved in 1855, having now 500
acres of superior land, on which he built a very fine house in 1872. August 3, 1878, Mrs. Jeffers died, and December
27, 1880, he married Mary A., widow of Isaac Stevens. Mr. Jeffers is a stock raiser and representative farmer,
a member of the old school Baptist Church, and a Democrat.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM LEAMON is a native of Virginia, was born April 11, 1817,
and is the son of John and Hannah (Postlewait) Leamon, who moved to Licking County, Ohio, in 1818, and were consequently
pioneers. Capt. Leamon attended the early schools and worked on his fathers farm during boyhood. In 1837 he visited
an uncle in Indiana, where he worked for forty two cents per day, and saved money with which to purchase land in
Grandville Township, Jasper County, Ill., on which he built the first hewed log house in the county. September
28, 1840, he married Margaret V. Nevill, of Maryland, to which union were born seven children, three of whom are
living, Samantha, Hannah J. and John. December 1, 1861, Mr. Leamon entered Company K, Sixty Third Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, as Second Lieutenant, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and afterward to Captain. He served in the battle
of Charleston, Mo., and was at the siege of Vicksburg and in the Atlanta campaign, also in the engagements at Savannah
and Goldsboro, and continued in the service until the war was ended. Capt. Leamon is now livings on his farm in
Grandville Township. He is a general farmer, has as good a farm as the county affords, and is a generally respected
JAMES LEAMON is a son of John and Hannah (Postlewait) Leamon, who
were natives of Virginia, and married in Licking County, Ohio, in 1818, where our subject, James Leamon, was born
February 21, 1824. He attended school and worked on the farm of his father until October 19, 1851, when he married
Martha Holt, who died October 29,1852, a member of the Christian Church. October 4, 1852, Mr. Leamon moved to Grandville
Township, Jasper County, this State, and settled on 120 acres of land. August 21, 1853, he married Catherine Wheeler,
with an issue of nine children , Mary O., Ann E., James A., William O., Lester, Arthur, Clarence, Adrian and Burton.
Mr. Leamon is a general farmer but gives some attention to stock. He is in politics a Republican, and in 185G was
elected Justice of the Peace, as which he has served (except for four years) until the present time. He has also
served as a member of the Board of Supervisors, and is possessed of a fine farm of 400 acres.
WILLIAM McCAIN is a native of Coshocton County, Ohio, was born December
24,1841, and is the son of John and Sarah (Dunn) McCain, both natives of Ireland, who moved to Coshocton County,
Ohio, in 1834, where they lived on a farm. William McCain was sent to school at periods, worked on his father's
farm, and there remained until December 24, 1863, when he married Mary J., daughter of Joseph W. and Mary (Dean)
Porter, and born January 5, 1844. This union produced six children, of which number four are living, Lewis C, Adam
W., Lyman T. and Dennis. In 1854, Mr. McCain moved to Grandville, Jasper County, where he located on 100 acres
of new land., which had been previously entered by his father. It is now a well improved tract, and productive
and well stocked, a good property and a desirable home. In 1874 Mr. McCain was elected Highway Commissioner, as
which he is now serving his third term. He is a Master Mason of Cooper Lodge, at Willow Hill, and he and wife are
greatly respected in the community.
WILLIAM MARTIN was born April 15, 1822, in Hamilton County, Ohio, and is
the son of David and Elizabeth (Cole) Martin, natives of New York and early settlers in Hamilton County, Ohio.
William passed his boyhood in attendance at school and in labor on the farm of his father. November 27, 1842, he
wedded Laura, daughter of Isaiah and Mary (Reed) Cramer, by which marriage they had bestowed upon them eleven children,
of which number live only survive, E. L., Mary A., Oscar, Elizabeth Jane and Perry F. After his marriage Mr. Martin
moved to and entered land in Jasper County, Ill., where he engaged in farming. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C,
One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which regiment he fought at the battles of Farmington,
Perryville and Chickamauga, whereupon the regiment was mounted and followed Gen. Sherman from Chattanooga to Atlanta,
and participated in the engagements at Selma, Ala. and Columbus, Ga. June, 1855, he was discharged at Nashville,
after which event he returned to his home and farm, now embracing 109 acres of good land, and fairly stocked. Mr.
Martin is independent in politics, and a respected and upright citizen.
CHARLES F. M. MOREY was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, June 25, 1838, and
is the son of Jonathan and Margaret (Columba) Morey, the former a native of New York, the latter of Massachusetts.
They were early settlers in Ohio. When Charles was a child his parents moved to Boone County, Ky., where he went
to subscription school and worked for his father. About 1850 he moved to Ripley County, Ind., and in 1852 to Illinois,
where he farmed until 18H0. Soon after this date he went again to Indiana, and August 18, 1861, married Rachel
A. Hopkins, which union gave being to seven children, Frances A., Edward K., Ida May, Margaret C, James E., Robert
B. H. and Moffit. August 13, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Ninety Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which
he was made a Corporal. He was engaged in the battles of Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga, and while on the Wheeler raid
was wounded in the right hand, after which event he served as company clerk until his discharge, July, 1855. He
followed the plow for some time, and in 1874 came to Grandville Township, Jasper County, where he settled on 135
acres, constituting a good farm, which he purchased in 1872. This land is well improved and stocked with cattle,
hogs and sheep, of which he is the largest shipper in the township. Mr. Morey is an active Republican, and in 1880
was a candidate for Sheriff, which he lost by a small majority; he has been Supervisor since 1874.
Mr. Morey is a Master Mason, and he and wife are among the most respected people of their neighborhood.
SILAS D. ODELL is a native of Grandville Township, Jasper County, Ill.,
was born December 18, 1842, and is the son of Isaac L. and Tabitha (Cramer) Odell, who were pioneer settlers of
this State. Our subject received some schooling each year and remained on his father's farm until August, 1802,
when he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois Regiment Volunteer Infantry. He was a filer
in said company and was present at the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Jonesboro,
Hoover's Gap, Selma, Columbus, an the siege of Atlanta. After his discharge, July 5, 1865, he returned to farming,
which he was unable to follow in consequence of the effects of a sunstroke received during the war. October 1,
1839, he married Mary A. Matheny, who died September, 1874, leaving two children, Leota and Adrian. In November,
1876, he married Mary Finney, who likewise bore him two children, Lenna E. and Clara B. As an effect of the aforesaid
injury he removed to Grandville, where he opened the first wood repair shop in said place and in which he has been
successful, being very generally esteemed. Mr. Odell is a Republican and has six times been elected Township Assessor;
he has also served as School Director, and is a charter member and one of the founders of Coblenz Post, No. 272,
G. A. R. Mrs. Odell is a member of the Christian Church.
HENRY PURCELL is the son of Amos Purcell, and was born in Ohio County,
Ind., July 28, 1835. When quite a child his father moved with his family to Missouri, where our subject received
some schooling and worked for his father on the home farm. In 1850 he returned to the State of his birth and followed
the business of a farmer. In 1857 he married Annie M. Osborn, who died July 4, 1879, leaving four children, Franklin
A., Samuel A., John AV. H. and Churchill E. Mrs. Purcell was a member of the United Brethren Church. In 1859 Mr.
Purcell moved to Jasper County, Ill., and in 1839 purchased a file farm in Grandville Township, which he cultivated
and improved. March 16, 1881, he married Cerilda J. Ewing, who died September 20, of that year, a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Purcell is a member and trustee of the Otterbein United Brethren Church.
ELIAS REICHARD is a son of Peter and Mary (Cramer) Reichard, the former
a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of Maryland, who were married in Montgomery County, Ohio. Our subject first
saw the world's light August 28, 1821, in the State of Ohio, where he attended school for a time, also worked as
a farmer boy, and when sixteen years of age became a learner of the carpenters' trade. March 26, 1843, he married
Sophia, daughter of Joseph Richardson, of Miamisburg, Ohio, a union favored with nine children, eight of whom are
living. In 1845, Mr. Reichard commenced the business of wagon building, at which he continued many years. In 1867,
he moved to this county, where he procured 160 acres of land in Section 13, a portion of which was improved; this
land he further improved with a good house and other necessary additions. He is a general farmer, also raises some
stock and tobacco. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and likewise an Odd Fellow. Mr. Reichard is a self
made man, an upright citizen, and a Republican in the political arena.
FRANCIS SHACKLEE is a son of Francis and Sarah (Sparks) Shacklee, the
father a native of Germany, the mother of Maryland, who were married in Pennsylvania, and early settled in Wayne
County, Ohio, where our subject was born, March 29, 1829. When he was two years of age his father died, in consequence
of which he was privileged to obtain but little schooling at the pioneer fountains of learning, having to assist
his mother at home. In 1S50, they moved to Jasper County, Ill., wherein December, 1852, he married Matilda, daughter
of Ludwell W. and Sarah Bailey, which union was productive of six children, Lucy A., Margaret E., Sarah M., Jerome
B., Frances L., and Ludwell W. Mr. Shacklee is the owner of a good home and desirable farm, which contains 155
acres, and which is in a fair state of cultivation and tolerably well supplied with stock, which Mr. Shacklee manages
in addition to general farming. He is in politics a member ot the Republican party. Mr. Shacklee's mother is yet
living at the age of eighty three years, and well and useful,
FENDOL P. SNIDER, is a native of Breckenridge County, Ky., was born November
13, 1822, and is a son of Henry P. and Verlinda (Dowell) Snider, both natives of Virginia, and early settlers of
Kentucky, where they were married. Our subject passed his youth in attending school and working on the paternal
farm. October 22, 1849, he married Theodosia A., daughter of Jeremiah Norton, of Kentucky. In 1850, Mr. Snider,
moved to Grandville Township, Jasper County, Ill., where he purchased eighty acres with the means he had saved
from his labor, built a log house and commenced improving his land. He has now an excellent farm of 440 acres,
with some fine stock, which took first premium at the Newton County Fair, in the autumn of 1883. In 1866, Mr. Snider
built the first two story house in his township. He is a Master Mason of Cooper Lodge, at Willow Hill, and a Democrat
in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Snider are parents of five children, Georgia A., Minerva F., Millard F., Breckenridge
B. and Fendol C. (deceased).
Return to the Main Index Page for Jasper County
©2007 Genealogy Trails