VILLAGE OF NEWTON AND WADE TOWNSHIP
Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
J. F. ARNOLD, Jr., son of Fletcher and Rebecca Jane (Wagle) Arnold, was born April 21, 1851. He was reared on his father's farm and attended school until his twentieth year, when he began teaching in order to obtain sufficient means to pay for a college course. In 1871 he entered McKendree College, near Saint Louis, from which he graduated with honors in 1874, after which he taught five terms of school. In 1877 he was chosen County Superintendent for one year, and was again elected in 1882. In 1876 he married Miss Selah Barton, a native of Kentucky, who has borne him two children, Edward and Eusrene.
JOHN M. BELL, editor of the Times, at Newton, was born in that town in 1858. He received his earlier education at the common school, and at the age of fourteen went to Washington, Daviess Co., Ind., where he attended school as regularly as his health would permit. The greater part of his education was acquired, however, by hard study at home, he being naturally inclined to literature. He partially served an apprenticeship with his father at tailoring, but in 1872 began to learn printing with A. L. Walker, then editor of the Press- In 1879 he went into the Times office and worked for E. B. Gorell until June, 1882. In 1883 he formed a partnership in the Times with John P. Heap, Mr. Bell assuming the position of senior editor. In 1878 he married Miss Serinda E. Dodd, who has borne him three children, May, Don and Vernon.
W. L. BRIDGES is the sixth son of Absalom and Maria (Laray) Bridges, and was born in Rockingham County, Va., in 1841. At the age of four years he came with his parents to Jasper County, and was here reared to manhood. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-First Illinois Infantry, and was [shortly afterward chosen Orderly Sergeant. He served until September 20, 1863, when he was captured at Chickamauga and taken to Richmond, next sent to Danville and then to Andersonville, where he was confined fourteen months. Absalom Bridges, on first coming to Jasper County, taught school, worked as a carpenter, later practiced law, and for some years filled the positions of Probate Judge and County Judge. He was born in Rockingham County, Va., in 1811, and died in this county in 1860. His brother William, an early settler, helped to lay out Jasper County. W. L. Bridges was married, in 1865, to Miss L. J- Hayes, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Martin) Hayes, natives of Kentucky, and his children are two in number, Anna L. and Charles A.
M. K BUSICK, son of George H. and Elizabeth (Byerly) Busick, was born in Madison County, Ohio, in 1844, attended school until fifteen years old, then came with his father to this State and settled on a farm near Parkersburgh. At the age of seventeen (1861), he enlisted in the Sixth Illinois Cavalry, and after serving five months was captured by the enemy. He was released March 16, 1863, re-joined his regiment at Memphis, and was appointed Regimental Quartermaster. At the close of the war he returned to Richland County, where his father had located in 1859. In 1864 he married Miss Mary Arnold, who died in 1879, leaving two children , George A. and Anna May. In 1881 Mr. Busick married Miss Clara, daughter of Harrie Edson, and to this marriage was born one child, Harrie (deceased). Mr. Busick is of Scotch descent from his father and Dutch from his mother. His father, George Busick, was born in 1823, and died in Richland County in 1871; his mother, born in 1825, is still living in Parkersburgh. Her father was a native of Pennsylvania and a soldier in 1812. Mr. M. K. Busick is a Knight of Pythias.
J. M. CATT was born in 1838, in Jasper County, Ill.; was reared a farmer, and educated in the common schools. He enlisted, August 2, 1861, in Company K, Thirty-Eighth Illinois Infantry, commanded by William T. Carlin, and served in the Department of the Cumberland in the Atlanta campaign, and fought in the battles of Fredericktown, Mo., Shiloh, Perryville, Ky., Stone River, Murfreesboro, Nolensville, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Pine Mountain, where Rebel General Polk was killed; Peach Tree Creek, siege of Atlanta, Bald Knob, Marietta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy Station, Nashville and Franklin (where ten rebel Generals were killed). After a service of four years and seven months he returned home, and in 1868 was joined in marriage with Miss Margaret E. Chambers, daughter of Rev. George and Mary (Perey) Chambers. The result of the union was five children, viz: Milton C., Flora, Jobe W., Martha E., and Jacob M. He is father of two other children by a former marriage, George J. and Joseph A. His father, Job Catt, was of German descent, born in Pennsylvania, and removed to Ohio in an early day, where he married Mary Stout, daughter of Joseph Stout. They reared a family of nine children, as follows: Margaret, Mary, John, Charles,. Rachel, Catharine, Josiah, Elizabeth, J. M.; four others, not named, died in infancy. He was one of the early pioneers of Jasper County and was here when the Indians were yet numerous.
C. M. DAVIS, editor of the Mentor, at Newton, was born in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, in 1847. At the age of seven he came to Illinois, and was reared on a farm in McLean County, until fifteen, when he removed to town and clerked in a store until 1874. He then established the Enquirer with Roy, conducted that journal seven years, then came to Newton and issued the first number of the Mentor, November 3, 1882. It is the only paper of the name in the United States, and has been a success from the; start. In 1880, Mr. Davis married Miss Belle Brewer.
A. A. FRANKE, physician and surgeon, is the son of Dr. John G. and Gertrude (Fisher) Franke, and was born in Newton, this county, in 1852. He was educated in the schools of Jasper, and at Teutopolis, in Effingham County; graduating at the age of sixteen. He then served as clerk in his father's drug store in Newton until twenty-three, in the meanwhile studying medicine under his father's tutorage. In 1876, he entered the Louisville Medical College, and subsequently the Kentucky School of Medicine, from which he graduated in 1877, and soon after began practice in his native town, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice. In 1880, he married Miss Lizzie P., daughter of Fullerand Sarah (Harris) Nigh, early settlers of Jasper County. He is the father of one daughter, Clara B. His father, Dr. John G. Franke, was a native of Westphalia, Prussia, was born February 17, 1817, and died in this county, March 15, 1883.
JAMES E. FREEMAN is a native of Ohio. He was born in 1842, in Preble County. While young he went with his parents to Shelby County, Ind., and came soon after to Jasper County, Ill. In 1861, he entered Company K, Thirty-Eighth Illinois Infantry, commanded by Colonel William P. Carlin. After his service he attended school, in 1864, in Indiana; after which he served as railroad agent until the fall of 1865. In 1868, he married Miss Frances Jones, daughter of William Jones, who was one of the first settlers in this county, and for many years County Recorder, Assessor, Justice of the Peace and Supervisor of Wade Township after the township was an organization. Mr. Freeman has four children, Willie E., Guy S., Edna, and Lulu. His father, Gustavius Freeman, was a native of Culpepper County, Va., where he was born in 1814. While young he removed to Bedford County, that State, and at the age of nineteen to Preble County, Ohio, where he married Miss Saran Stover, a native of Shenandoah County, Va. He removed to Shelby County, Ind., in an early day, and to Jasper County in 1852, where he entered and bought a tract of land containing some 400 acres. He reared a family of ten children as follows: George W., Esther E., Elizabeth J., Sarah, James E-, William H., Joseph C (who was a soldier in the late war)? Francis M., David P., and Mary J. Mr. Freeman owns a farm of 700 acres, and is truly a representative farmer. He is a Knight Templar, and is identified with the Democratic party.
GEORGE K. GOSNELL was born in 1827, in Harrison County, Ky. When a small boy he was taken by his parents to Rush County, Ind., where he was reared to manhood upon his father's farm. He was joined in marriage to Miss Sarah Campbell in 1851; a native of the same county, and born in 1829. A year after marriage they came to Jasper County, Ill., where he entered 320 acres of land, which he improved and on which he now resides. He also owns 240 acres of land in another tract. The result of his marriage was nine children, as follows: Louisa A., William C, Nancy J., Larkin, John, Zelda, Mary, Richard, and Susan. The Gosnells are of German descent; both his paternal grandparents, namely, Benjamin and Susan (King) Gosnell, being natives of Virginia. Mr. Gosnell is the eighth child of his fathers family. Mrs. Gosnell's parents, John and Nancy (Townsend) Campbell, were early settlers of Shelby County, Ind., and reared a family of eleven children, Mrs. Gosnell being the youngest. Mr. Gosnell is an enterprising farmer, and a Republican in politics.
HON. JOHN H. HALLEY, Ex-Judge of the Second Illinois -Judicial Circuit, is descended from an old Irish family which traces its ancestral line back to the early history of the United Kingdom. His grandparents, on both the maternal and paternal side, were early settlers in Virginia, which State was the place of his parents' birth and his own nativity. Judge Halley was born in Bedford County, July 9, 1828. His early years were spent upon his father's plantation and in the schools of the neighborhood, where he gained the rudiments of his education. At the age of twenty-three he entered Emory and Henry College, a prominent literary institution of Virginia, which graduated him in 1854, with honors. Having adopted the law as his profession, he entered the office of John Good, Esq., a prominent attorney of Liberty, as a student. Here the young man brought such ability and industry to the pursuit of his studies that he accomplished in one year the course allotted to three, and was admitted to the practice of law in 1855, soon after which he removed to Lewis County, Mo., where he opened an office and began his life work. Dissatisfied with this location he removed, in 1856, to Putnam County of the same State, where he rapidly achieved an eminent success, building up a large and lucrative practice. In 1858 he was chosen to represent his county in the State Legislature. At the end of his first term the breaking out of the war summoned him to a larger and more active sphere, and he tendered his services to his State as a soldier. He was at once commissioned as Lieutenant Colonel and assigned to the staff of Gov.. John B. Clark, where he served with distinction until a year later, when he was detailed by the Confederate government as a recruiting officer, with the rank of Colonel. He was stationed at Minneapolis, Ala., at Grenada, Miss., at Little Rock, Ark., and in southeast Missouri. In this capacity his abilities had an ample scope, and he rendered efficient aid to the cause he had espoused. He was subsequently "called to fill other positions of responsibility, the duties of which he discharged with fidelity and rare ability. After serving to the end of the struggle he came to Jasper County, Ill., and resumed the practice of his profession. Here, in 1874, he was called by the public voice to represent the county in the State Legislature, and was re-elected in 1876. Resigning this position in 1877, he accepted an election to the Judicial bench, a position more congenial to his tastes, discharging the duties with great acceptance and distinguished ability, until an act of the legislature of that year caused a change by re-districting. Judge Halley was first united in marriage to Miss Lucy Thompson, a daughter of John J. and Elizabeth Thompson, of Missouri, by whom he had six children. On July 21, 1883, he was next married to Miss Annie Howard Stuart, of Texas, a daughter of Rov. C. B. Stewart, D. D., of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Judge Hilley occupies an enviable position among the brethren of his profession in southern Illinois; is a leading member of the Jasper County bar. In politics he is devoted to the principles of the Democratic party. He is a Knight Templar.
CAPT. B. W. HARRIS is of Scotch descendant, his father, Benjamin Harris, was a native of Albemarle County, Va., and there married Miss Elizabeth Ware. He removed to Ohio about 1834, and to Jasper County, Ill., in 1836, where he entered some 500 acres of land, on a part of which the town of Newton is now situated. He was widely and favorably known, having served as Justice of the Peace for several years, and built the first court house in Newton. He made a trip to California, and on his return home died in Jasper County, in 1851. His wife died in 1858. His children were as follows: Henrietta, Benjamin, Mary, Elizabeth, William, Samuel, B. W.J. Sarah and Joseph. Capt. B. W. Harris was born in Virginia, in 1833, and was three years of age when he came to this county, where he was reared, and subsequently married, in 1853, Miss Julia E. Jones, a native of Randolph County, Ill., and born in 1833. The result of the union was three children, namely: Winnie, Frank and Charlie. Her father, Robert Jones, was a native of Kentucky, where he was born January 11, 1800; he also was an early settler of Jasper County, Ill. He married Elizabeth Chastain, who was born in Virginia, October 4, 1797, and died in Jasper County, October 19, 1874. Mr. Jones died in 1875. Capt. Harris entered the service in 1861 as First Lieutenant of Company K, Thirty-Eighth Illinois Infantry, commanded by Col. Carlin, and served until the close of the war, leaving the army with the rank of Captain. He assisted in the organization of the State militia in 1880, and is now Captain of the Newton Guards.
H. S. HINMAN, M. D., was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., in 1847, and is the youngest of eight children born to Hon. T. M. and Emily (Jetter) Hinman, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and South Carolina. At the age of five he was brought by his parents to Richland County, Ill., where, until 1865, he spent his life on a farm with the exception of six months passed in the army during the summer of 1864. He became proficient in music and proved one of the most successful teachers in southern Illinois. In 1867 he married Miss Rose A. McWilliams, who has borne him the following children, Ulysses Gr., Eolla P., Hattie B-, Pearl T., Ali (deceased Lola and Oris B. In the spring of 1867 he began preparing him self for his profession, teaching in the meanwhile until 1869. In 1870 he removed to Olney, took charge of 'a school in the vicinity and read medicine under Dr. E. Bowyer. In 1873-74 he taught the Oak Grove school, and in the spring of 1874 took his first course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, and on his return taught the graded school at Clairmont. In January, 1875, he formed a partnership with Dr. Battsou. He graduated in 1878, and in the spring of 1879 he removed to Rose Hill, and in 1880 to Newton. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, an active worker in the Sunday school and a successful practitioner.
THOMAS HUNT, son of John and Elizabeth (Brooks) Hunt, natives of Ohio, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, December 14, 1827. When a boy he went with his [parents to Rush County, Ind., where he remained until the age of twenty-one. He married, in 1849, Miss Louisa Price, a native of Kentucky, and daughter of John and Mary (Cotney) Price, natives of the same State. Soon after the marriage they came to Jasper County, where he entered ninety acres of laud, on which he now resides. Mr. Hunt started out his life without a cent, but now owns a farm of 240 acres. He has two children, viz.: John M., and Sarah J., wife of Frank Andre, a prominent young farmer. John Hunt, father of our subject, was born, reared and married in Ohio. He reared the following children, viz.: William, James, Thomas, Jane, Rachel, Amaziah, Milton and Elizabeth. James Hunt, grandfather of Mr. Hunt, was an old Revolutionary soldier under Gen.. Washington. He was an Englishman, while the Brooks family are of Welsh origin. They were among the first settlers of Ohio. Mrs. Hunt's parents were natives of Fleming County, Kentucky. They were married in that State, and removed early to Rush County, Ind., when the county was yet a wilderness. They reared eleven children, viz.: Elizabeth, William T., Benjamin, Louisa, Lydia, Elihu, Elisha, Lucinda, Sarah A., Frank and Eliza. Her mother died in 1848; her father in 1875.
HALE JOHNSON, attorney-at-law, was born in 1847 in Tippecanoe County, Ind. He was reared a farmer, receiving his education in the common district school and the academy at Ladoga until eighteen years of age, when he went with his parents to Marion County, where he taught school in the winter season and worked upon the farm in the summer. He began reading law in 1871 with W. Hubbard, of Kinmundy, Marion County, Ill., now of Chicago. After reading for three years he was admitted to practice in June, 1875. Soon after his permission to practice he located at Altamont, Effingham County, where he remained two years. Hs then located in Newton, where he is a member of the law firm of Gibson & Johnson, and Shup & Johnson in the real estate business. He entered the service in 1864 as a private, but was discharged after bearing arms six months. He married, in 1871, Miss Mary E. Lootbourow, a native of Ohio, born in 1848, and daughter of Orlando and Frances (Delaney) Lootbourow, natives of the same State, of which her grandfather was one of the first settlers. The result of this union was five children, viz.: Jesse, Frank, May Bell, Fannie and Ruby. John B. Johnson, father of our subject, was born in 1821. He studied medicine and graduated at two colleges, viz.: the Alepthu and Eclectic. He served as a surgeon in the Seventy-Second Indiana Regiment, and has been in constant practice for thirty-five years. He now resides in White County, Ark. Mr. Johnson has been highly successful professionally, and is conceded to be one of the leading lawyers of Jasper County.
SIMPSON JOHNSON was born in Trimble County, Ky., in 1835, and was married in March, 1855, to Barbara Campbell, daughter of William and Ellen (Pegs) Campbell, and born in Carroll County, Ky., in 1835. Two children were the result of this union, viz.: George W. and Martha. Previous to his marriage he had been a farmer, and for six months a school teacher during the winter; he then opened a furniture and hardware store in Newton, continuing in the business for eight years; he next engaged in the banking and book business, but closed out the banking branch, and is now conducting a book and instrument trade. He built the opera house at Newton 40 feet front and 100 feet deep. Thomas Johnson, father of Simpson, was a native of Kentucky and of Swedish descent. He married Martha Wilson, who bore him the following children: Simpson, John W., Eliza, Susan, Margaret and Emeline.
WILLIAM B. JONES was born, in 1837, in Randolph County, Ill. He came with his parents to Jasper County in 1849, and was reared upon his father's farm, where he yet resides. He married, November 22, 1860, Miss Anne Rogers, daughter of Marcellus and Dicey (Barret) Rogers, natives of Virginia. The fruit of this union was seven chil-dren, viz.: Adelaide C., John G., Nellie L., Anna M., Charlie, Harry R. and Curtiss. At the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861, Mr. Jones entered the service as a private in Company D,' Eighth Illinois Infantry, and served in the Department of the Mississippi under McPherson. During his service he lost a foot by a circular saw while sawing timber to repair a road leading from Vicksburg to Jackson. His father, Slaughter Jones, was a native of Virginia, where he was born in 1802. When young, he left his native State to seek his fortune in the West, and while on his way met Lavina Kelley, in company with her parents, on their way West from Kentucky. He subsequently married her in Randolph County, Ill. He served as a private in the Black Hawk war under his brother Gabriel, who was Colonel of a regiment. After the war he entered land here, from a warrant issued to him for his services. He continued to reside in Jasper County until his death, in 1882, his wife having preceded him in 1873. They reared a family of eleven children, seven boys and four girls. Mrs. Jones' father, Rev. Samuel Barret, preached in Rush County, Lid., for forty-five years. He married Clarissa McComas, daughter of Col. William McComas, who served in the war of 1812, under Harrison. Mr. Jones is a Republican in politics, a Mason, and a member of the Knights of Honor.
C. D. KENDALL, son of Cyrus and Lucy (Aubrey) Kendall, natives of Orange County, Vt., was born in Erie, Penn., where he was educated until seventeen, when he came first to Kane and then toFayette County, where he taught school during the years 1851, 1859 and 1860; he then moved to Clay County and read law under W- W. Bishop, who afterwards defended John D. Lee, in the Mountain Meadow massacre case, and then wrote a history of Lee's life. Mr. Kendall was admitted to practice, but before his diploma reached him he had enlisted in Company D, Eleventh Missouri Infantry, and rapidly rose to be Second Lieutenant, when he was transferred to Company K, same regiment. In 1864, he was commissioned Captain and afterward detached as Quartermaster on the Staff of General L. F. Hubbard, now Governor of Minnesota. He was wounded at Corinth the night of October 3,1862, and at Nashville, December 16, 1864. January 22, 1862, he married Miss Rivilla C. Miller, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Thomas and Abby (Sparks) Miller, who died in 1875, the mother of four children, Harry Frederick, Cyrus Don (deceased), Bertie Rivilla (deceased), and Helva Aubrey. In 1878, the Captain married Mrs. Susie Barnes, daughter of Henry and Susan (McCoy) Books, and to this union were born Mary Estella and Claudia Vere. Captain Kendall, on his return from the war, engaged in merchandising a short time at Flora, Ill. In 1865, he was elected County Clerk of Clay County, and served four years. He then engaged in the mercantile trade in Louisville; sold out in 1881, and came to Newton. His grandfather, Frederick Aubrey, was a surgeon in the British navy, from which he was discharged on account of disability, when he came to America and took part in the Revolutionary war. His discharge from the English navy is still in the hands of Captain Kendall.
T. J. MARTIN is a native of Floyd County, Ky., and was born February 8, 1823. At the age of fourteen he went to Missouri and worked in a tobacco factory; during the Mexican war he served as wagon master in the army; after the war he came to Paris, Edgar Co., Ill.., engaged in business, and married Miss Elizabeth Blackburn, daughter of Colonel Blackburn, and to this union were born four children, Henry W., James B., John W., and William. In 1850, Mr. Martin settled in Newton. His second marriage was to Miss Mary E. Chittenden, a descendant from one of the oldest families in Vermont. Her great grandfather, Thomas Chittenden, was the first Governor of that State, and her grandfather, Martin Chittenden, was elected Governor in 1813, and served several terms. Ireman Chittenden, father of Mrs. Martin, was the eldest son of Governor Martin Chittenden.
J. H. MAXWELL, physician and surgeon, is of Scotch-Irish extraction, and was born in this country December 26, 1835. He was educated in the common schools and the Seminary at Paris, Ill., until sixteen years old, after which he worked on a farm in summer and attended school in winter. He read medicine for three years with Dr. S- York, who was a distinguished surgeon of the Fifty-Fourth Illinois Volunteers, and was assassinated at Charleston in 1864. In 1865, Mr. Maxwell entered the Ohio Medical College, finally graduating in 1871. He entered the army in 1861, as Hospital Steward in the Thirty-Eighth Illinois Volunteers, and was advanced to the position of Assistant Surgeon. In 1864, he was appointed, for meritorious service, surgeon to the Army of the Cumberland, under General Thomas, but declined the office. In 1866r he married Miss Mary Hayes, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Martin) Hayes, natives of Kentucky.
BENJAMIN MILLER was born in 1814, in the State of New Jersey. When a small boy he went with his parents to Pennsylvania, and soon after to Clermont County, Ohio, and from there to Hancock County, Ind., where he married, at the age of eighteen,. Elizabeth Lamay, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of James and Nancy (Huggard) Lemay. The result of this union was fifteen children, born in the following order: Nancy C-, born January 26, 1833; James A., December 14, 1834; Abraham, January 30, 1837; Pollie J., January 20, 1839; William T., May 24, 1840; Susan C., June 3, 1842; Hannah A., February 5, 1844; George P., February 15, 1846; Henry F., September 17, 1848; John Wesley, September 18, 1850; Sarilda E. and Matilda F. (twins), February 13, 1852; Benjamin J., April 27, 1854; Theodore, November 9, 1856, and Henry F., January 5,1861. Mr. Miller has been twice married; his second marriage being to Mary J. Eagleton, of Terre Haute, Ind., daughter of John Farr, a native of Pennsylvania, and one of the pioneers of Indiana; where both parents died soon after their removal from Pennsylvania. The result of Mr. Miller's last marriage was two children, Lucy and one that died unnamed. Mr. Miller is widely and favorably known throughout the county. He owns a fine, well improved farm, the result of his own labor, he having begun life poor. He is a Republican and sent two of his sons to the army, namely, William and George.
OGDEN MONELL, son of Robert B. and Permelia (Squires) Monell, was born September 15, 1833, in Chenango County, N. Y. When quite young his parents removed to Hudson, Columbia County, where he spent his youth. He was carefully educated at Hartford, N. Y., and at Stockbridge, Mass., with a view to his entering the legal profession. In 1850, Mr. Monell, being of a somewhat roving disposition, shipped as a sailor on board the ship " Great Britain," bound from New York to China, via San Francisco. After a long and tedious voyage around Cape Horn, the vessel arrived in San Francisco Bay, and the gold excitement being at its full height, the whole ship's company deserted, and engaged in the search for the hidden treasure. After an absence of over four years, in which he made several voyages on the Pacific Ocean, he again doubled Cape Horn in the whale ship "Boston," and landed at New Bedford, Mass. After remaining at home a short time he came to Illinois, and from there went to Minnesota, which was then a territory, where he acted as Sub-Indian Agent, at the Crow Wing Agency, and was afterward the first Sheriff of Crow Wing County, that State. In 1858, he returned to Boone County, Ill., where, December 25, 1858, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E- Pearsall, a daughter of John and Clarinda Pearsall. Two children, George R. and Alber P., were the result of the union. In the spring of 1860, he came to Jasper County, Ill., where, in 1861, he was chosen Supervisor of North Muddy Township, which office he resigned and entered the army as First Lieutenant of Company F, Eleventh Illinois Volunteers, and served until the promulgation of President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, when, on his return home, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under Harvey N. Love, after whose death he became acting Sheriff. In 1858, he was elected Circuit Clerk and Recorder of the county; was re-elected in 1862.
DANIEL O'DONNELL, Deputy Sheriff, son of Cornelius and Elizabeth (Riley) O'Donnell, natives of Ireland, was born, October, 1846, in Jasper County. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and at Saint Mary's College, at Teutopolis, Effingham County, Ill. After his college course he resumed farming until 1865, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Illinois Infantry. In 1871, he married Miss Pauline Ponset, daughter of Frank Ponset, natives of Ohio. She died about a year after the anniversary of their wedding, and in 1881, he married Amelia Shoenlab, daughter of Ernil Shoenlab, a native of Indiana. They have one child, Alice May. Mr. O'Donnell has served as Deputy Sheriff since 1879. His father was a stone mason, and on coming to this country,, first found employment on the Capitol at Washington, D.C. He came to Jasper County in 1842, and entered 120 acres of wild land near Saint Marie, where he continued to reside until his death in January, 1875 Amelia Shoenlab's father, Emil Shoenlab, was a native of Alsace, France. When a young man he came to Newton, and for a while clerked in a store. He now resides at Saint Marie, where he is engaged in the commission business.
H. K. POWELL, son of John and Frances A. (McComas) Powell, natives of Ohio and Virginia, was born in Jasper County, Ill., November 12, 1848, was reared a farmer, and was educated in the schools at Newton. In 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-Third Illinois Infantry, and served until the close of the war. July 11,1870, he married Miss Dollie A. Thompson, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Sherman) Thompson, natives of Virginia. In November, 1873, Mr. Powell was elected to the office of County Clerk; was. re-elected in 1877, and by virtue of an act of the Legislature, he held the office until 1882, when he was again elected. He is the father of four children, Harrie, Julia, Hattie and Robert L.
GILBERT REISNER was born in Jasper County, May 31,1853. He was reared on a farm and educated in the district school and the high school at Newton. He began teaching at the age of eighteen, and made it his occupation until the death of his father, since which he has been superintending the home farm. He was united in marriage in 1882, to Miss Mary Harrah, daughter of D. B. Harrah. John C. Eeisner, father of Gilbert Eeisner, was born in Virginia, December 19, 1828, and was the son of Jacob Eeisner, who fought in the wars of Napoleon the Great, crossed the Alps, and was with him at Moscow. He was wounded fourteen times, through the effects of which he was discharged from the service, and afterwards came to America, first settling, it is presumed, in Pennsylvania, from which State he removed to Virginia, where he married Catharine Burtran, a native of Worms, Germany. John C. Eeisner was one of the very early settlers of Jasper County, a man of the strictest integrity, and to whom many went for advice and assistance. He took a deep interest in the church and Sunday school, and educational affairs of the community in which he lived. He was superintendent of the Sabbath-school for many years, and although a member of the Baptist Church, he was instrumental in the organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in his neighborhood. He joined the Missionary Baptist Church in 1849, and remained a member of the same until the time of his death, February 25, 1883. He married in Jasper County, March 29, 1849, Miss Mariana Stevens, a daughter of Uriah and Mary (Gilbert) Stevens, natives of Vermont, early settlers of Jasper County, and the first to start a farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. She died October 29,1857, leaving two children, Gilbert, the subject of this sketch, and Mary Ann. January 21,1871, Mr. E. married Miss Eunice Stevens, sister of his first wife. Mr. Eeisner is a member of the State Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows.
FRANK RICHARDSON, farmer and fine stock raiser, of Wade Township, son of Nathan and Rebecca (Euthby) Richardson, was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1840. He was reared to farming, and attended the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, where he graduated in 1858. He was educated with a view to the medical profession, but declining health forbade his entering that profession. He was joined in marriage, in 1860, with Miss Esther Weer, daughter of Philip and Sarah ((Roberts) Weer, soon after which he enlisted as a private in Company M, Thirteenth Ohio Cavalry. After serving six months, he was chosen First Lieutenant of his Company, in which capacity he served with distinction under General Sheridan until the close of the war. Having a desire to raise fine stock, he came to Jasper County soon after the close of the war, where he engaged in that business. He owns a fine farm of 300 acres in Wade Township. He has had born to him two children, Annie and Jesse.
B. F. ROGERS was born in 1857, in Jasper County, Ill., where he was reared upon his father's farm, and educated in the district school, and the Normal, at Newton, after which he began teaching. His father, Marcellus Rogers, a native of Clarke County, Ohio, was born in 1817, was early thrown upon his own resources, and at the age of eighteen, he went to Logansport, Ind., where he found employment in a store for three years, after which he worked as an apprentice for one year at the tailors' trade. He then went to Lafayette, Ind., where he remained two years, after which he made a visit to his native State, and later, located at Knightstown, Ind., where, in 1839, he was joined in marriage with Dicey Barret, who was born in Virginia, in 1822. She was the daughter of Rev. Samuel and Clarissa (McComas) Barret. After a residence of nearly twenty years, in Indiana, they came to Jasper County, where he bought 100 acres of land, which he improved, and upon which he now resides. In 1861, he entered the army as Sergeant in the Fifth Illinois Cavalry, and served three years. His father, Henry Rogers, was an early settler of Clarke County, Ohio, where he published the Western Pioneer, the first newspaper in that county. He reared eight children, of whom Marcellus Rogers is the only survivor. Mrs. Rogers' father, Rev. Samuel Barret, was one of the settlers of Rush County, as early as 1824. He was the pioneer of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in that locality, where he preached for forty-five years. He died October 2, 1863, lamented by all who knew him in life. The fruit of Mr. Rogers' marriage with Dicey Barret, was eleven children, viz.: Commodore, born in 1840; Mary, in 1843; Ann E., in 1844; Charles H., in 1847; John E., in 1849; Valeria L., in 1851; Clara, in 1853; Marcellus, in 1855; Benjamin F., the subject of this sketch, in 1857; Eliza E., in 1859, and Amelia, in 1861. Both Mr. B. F. Rogers, and father, are active Republicans in politics.
CASPER RUSH was born near New Brunswick, N. J., in 1837. While young, he was taken by his parents to Cincinnati, where he was reared and educated until thirteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to a confectioner. In 1862, he married Miss Antoinette Fluchr, a native of Germany, and born in 1839. The following children have succeeded this union: Rosa, Harry, Ida, Walter and , Leonore. Mr. Rush's father, also named Casper, came from Germany about 1830 and bought a farm in New Jersey, but removed to Cincinnati on account of the German society there, and there died when our subject was nine years old. Mr. Rush is one of the foremost business men in Newton. His stock of goods is very large and varied, and his trade is proportionately large, and by his social, pleasing way of dealing, he has won universal esteem. He is a kind husband, an indulgent father, a gentleman and a much valued citizen.
FRANK L. SHUP, editor of the Newton Press, was born July 4, 1854, in Jasper County. He was reared a farmer, and was educated in the district school until twenty years of age. At twenty-two he began to read law with Brown & Gibson, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1880, at Springfield, soon after which he went to Kansas, located at Kingman, and entered into practice with George E. Filley. He severed this connection May 31, 1882, returned to Newton and took charge of the Press, which he is successfully conducting.
JOHN H. SHUP, son of William and Emily (Coffin) Shup, was born in Hancock County, Ind., in 1852, but when a child, was brought by his parents to Jasper County, where he attended school until seventeen years of age, after which he worked upon his father's farm until twenty-one, when he took a course of study at the Normal School of Newton. In 1876, he was appointed deputy County Clerk, and served three years. From 1879 to 1881, he engaged in the real estate business, and then entered upon his present vocation of insurance agent for the following first class companies: Burlington, of Iowa, and the Fireman's Fund and the Union, of California, in the counties of Richland, Effingham, Jasper, Crawford, Shelby, Cumberland, Clark, Coles, Edgar, Douglas, Champaign and Vermilion. In 1877, he married Miss Belle Snyder, a native of Indiana, and daughter of David and Sarah (Goodman) Snyder, and to their union have been born two children, Clella and Ethel.
FRANCIS A. STEVENS, druggist, is of Dutch English extraction, was born October 8, 1852, in Newton, Jasper County, received his early education in the common schools and finished at Champaign, Ill., after which worked upon his father's farm until the age of twenty-one, at which time he entered the drug business at Robinson, Crawford County, Ill., in company with E. B. Barlow. He was joined in marriage in 1878 with Miss Anna Wallace, who was born in this county, and is a daughter of W. H. and Hannah (Moor) Wallace, natives of Pennsylvania. To this union has been born one son, William. Dr. U. G. Stevens, father of our subject, was born August 23, 1812, in Canada. While young, he removed with his parents to Vermont and afterward to Kentucky, where he was reared and educated. He had three sisters and two brothers; the latter grew to manhood and became physicians. In an early day he came to Champaign County, Ill., where, in 1836, he was joined in marriage with Marilla Stanfield, who was born April 8, 1820, in Pennsylvania. The result of the union was as follows: William, James B., Uriah L., Serena A., Harmon, Alpheus, Gilbert Sr. Stephen, Francis A., Marilla E., Amelia A. and Charles, all of whom are deceased, except Francis A. (the subject of this sketch), and Amelia and Marilla E. Dr. Stevens died in November, 1881, and his wife in 1877. Mr. Stevens is a Knight Templar, an Odd Fellow, a member of the Knights of Honor and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
WILLIAM TRAINOR, Sheriff of Jasper County, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., in 1839, and at the age of five years was brought to this county by his father, who died "a year after his arrival, leaving a widow and eight children. On the home farm of 200 acres William Trainor was reared, alternating the hardships of a frontier farm life with brief terms at the neighboring schools. In 1864 he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, served as private one month and was then promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant and as such served until the close of the war. In 1880 he was elected Sheriff, and re-elected in 1882. He was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Bowen, who has borne him five children, of whom two only are living, Emma and William. John Trainor, father of our subject, was born in Ireland, and came to America when a young man. He married Jane McComas, a daughter of William McComas, and to his marriage were born the following children: Thomas, Philip, Peter, Mary, Amelia, William, George and James, all of whom are deceased excepting Philip and the subject of this sketch. George and James died from the effects of exposure while in the army.
G. V. VANDERHOOF was born February 14, 1840, and is the son of Henry and Mary (Rhodes) Vanderhoof. Henry Vanderhoof was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1812, and there married the daughter of George Rhodes. Mr. V. came to this county as early as 1839, and here his wife died in 1863. In 1801 G. V. Vanderhoof entered the army as First Sergeant of Company K, Thirty-Eighth Illinois Infantry, and served nearly five years. He afterward learned blacksmithing, which trade he followed until 1879. In 1868 he married Miss Mamie Thomas, daughter of Elihu Thomas, a native of Indiana. Mr. Vanderhoof is one of the heaviest implement dealers in Newton, and has the agency for the celebrated Minneapolis Twine Binder, of which he sells large numbers, as it gives the most general satisfaction.
W. G. WILLIAMS, son of W. G. and Margaret (Knoff) Williams, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1840, and there received his early education, and afterward, for three years attended the Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, Dr. Thompson being president of the institution and W. G. Williams Professor of Languages. In 1859 he came to Jasper County, taught school during the winter of 1860, and then for eight years practiced dentistry at Vandalia, Ill. In 1870 he bought and shipped grain at Saint Elmo, and then came to Newton and clerked for Fuller Nigh. In 1871 he was appointed deputy, under Sheriff Ogden Monell, and served until 1873, when Thomas Cooper was appointed to office and under him he served three months. In 1874 he was elected Circuit Clerk, was re-elected in 1876, and has served ever since. In 1865 he married Miss Mary, daughter of Ebenezer Copps, one of the first settlers of Illinois, and to his union have been born two children, Claudia M. and Paul. Mr. Williams is of Scotch and Welsh origin. His father was a nephew of Col. Williams, and was born January 1,1801, near Wheeling, Va. He was one of the first settlers of Coshocton County, Ohio, and there married Miss Margaret, daughter of John Knoff, and born in Sussex County, N. J., in 1800.
A. J. WOODS was born in 1839, in Gibson County, Ind. At the age of five years he came with his parents to Jasper County, where he was reared on his father's farm until the age of twenty, when he returned to his native State, and at the beginning of the war, in 1861, enlisted in the Twenty-Fourth Indiana Infantry, commanded by Col. Harvey. He served until 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability. On his return he stopped for a while at his old home in Indiana, for medical treatment. He married, in 1862, Miss Adelia Garner, a native of France. The union was blessed with the following children: Andrew F. (deceased), Neoma, Lizzie, Willie (deceased) and Octavia. Mr. Woods' father, Dixon Woods, was born in Tennessee, in 1808, and was one of the first settlers of Jasper County. He first came with his parents to Indiana, where he was reared, and married Miss Margaret Woods, the result of the union being as follows: Jane, James, Maria, Elizabeth, John, Patrick, A. J. Joseph, William and Susan. Dixon Woods was widely and favorably known throughout the county and was familiarly called "Uncle Dickey," by which distinctive name everybody in the county knew him. He was of Irish descent. The Garners came to Ohio about 1837, and to Jasper County about 1839, where they reared a family of five children.
©K. Torp and Genealogy Trails