A Trip to New York.
Undertaken on 15 October 1913
Jesse Robnet Johnson
and his account published in the Newton Press-Mentor

(submitted by Phillip Youngman)

J E.O. CLARKE, Editor Mentor:
On the 15th day of last October, without escort or guide, and escaping the vigilant eyes of our alert; local. editor, I left the corporate limits of Newton for a little trip to the East. So at 6 a.m. boarded train for Indianapolis, arriving there at 11:15, and at 12:15 took train for Columbus, Ohio; changed cars for Pittsburg, thence to Philadelphia, where I arrived at 6 a.m. on the 16th and the same day arrived at New York at 10:45 a.m. Up to this time had been very busy during daylight taking in the scenery along the route, which in many places was sublime. While traveling on the Eastern roads you feel comparatively safe. Trains all run one way on the same track. Roads are all double-tracked, both for freight and passenger, and there is no danger from collision.

Now I am in the great Pennsylvania depot, which covers acres of ground and is perfectly alive with humanity. Now I begin to feel my need of a pilot, or escort. By my mistake at Indianapolis I was six hours ahead of time and there was no one to meet me. I could not afford to wait for a pilot so I struck out. Asked a railroad man how to get where I wanted to and he said I can't tell you. Saw a policeman and told him to what part of the city I desired to go, and when I asked him he said he couldn't tell because I only knew the street and number. His duties, he said, were on this side of the river, and he didn't know much about Brooklyn. He feared I would have a hard time finding the place without a better description. Asked if he could tell me how to reach the Brooklyn bridge he said he could, but thought I had better go to the street car station and ask there, which I did and was told the better way would be to go to 14th street and take the subway for Long Island depot. At 14th street the conductor said turn to the left, go down two flights of stairs, take the subway for Long Island, and down I went, boarded the train and in 10 or 15 minutes one gentleman said to another near by that we were about half way under East River. Daylight appeared soon after and I landed at Long Island depot. There I again asked and was told to take a Flat Boosh car, which would take me near my destination. So I waited for my car, and the conductor said: ''Yes sir, No. 20, yes sir, third house." Then l began to think I was quite a hero. Kept my eye on the third house, not on the number, and was about to pass the first door of the first house when a window went up suddenly and a voice shouted, "Hello, father." This was Mrs. E. H. Youngman.

A Trip to New York.
(Continued From Last Week.)

BROOKLYN, N. Y., Oct. 17, 1913. "J. E.O. CLARKE," Editor Mentor:
Now, if you will listen I will tell you something of what I saw in Greater New York, and probably something which I didn't see. In the first place I saw a whole lot of strangers. Greater New York is composed of the following burroughs: New York, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Richmond, containing a population of 4,766,883. I first visited Prospect Park, the main entrance of which is on Flat Boosh avenue, near the Long Island depot, under arches of soldiers' and sailors' memorial. This is a most beautiful park, grounds undulating, numerous lakes, public buildings, museum, green houses and lovely drives.

From this place with daughter Mollie and Master Paul Youngman went to the world renowned Hippodrome, where they have two exhibitions daily to audiences averaging 12,000 people at an expense of $6,000. This plant covers about four acres of ground. They show nearly everything that is interesting and exciting, viz: army, navy, state and county fairs, home life, all kinds of national sports, trades, etc., which would be too tedious to mention. I will, however, give you a description of one scene that was watched with great interest. Two lines were formed as you would soldiers on dress parade. About fifty men formed the front rank all in uniform, with a like number of women composing the rear rank, There was a lake intervening between them and the audience, which was seated, near 6,000 people. At a given signal the front rank started, and as they came to the water, down, down, step by step, they went into the water until they entirely disappeared. As they went under, the women started, they being beautifully gowned, marching in perfect order to the water's edge, when they, too, step by step, went down until they entirely disappeared. After about five or ten minutes their heads appeared above the water on our side of the lake. Now this is no picture show. They claim to have over one thousand people in their employ. After returning home some of Mollie's lady friends visited us; also Mr. and Mrs. Charles Whiting. The latter was formerly Miss Lillian Scott.

Sunday, the 19th, attended the Plymouth church at Hanson Place M. E. to hear Dr. Fort, then 21st visited Coney Island. There was not much to be seen there, as all business was c1osed or practically so. The day was pretty rough and the waves ran high on the beach.

On the 22d visited Mr. Whiting at his home. In the afternoon went to Central Park, City Library , Museum, passing by many residences of millionaires - Andrew Carnegie, the Vanderbilts, Asters; Fricks, Gen. Sickles, and many places of note.

Sunday, the 26th, attended the Plymouth Church and heard Dr. Abbott. In the afternoon went to the Art Museum on the Brooklyn side. In the evening Eugene Arnold and wife, Victor Johnson and wife, and others called..
J. R. Johnson.

A Trip to New York.
(Continued From Last Week.).

Monday, October 27, went over to New York. Met Mrs. Victor B. Johnson and spent most of the day sight seeing in the Northwestern portion of the city, viz: Bronx Park, Zoo1ogica1 Garden, Art Museum, Grant's Tomb, and Soldier's and Sailors' Monument. The two latter places are on the banks of the Hudson River, where you have a beautiful view both up and down the river. Then a long ride down Riverside Park on the upper deck of an electric car, passing many beautiful residences. Met Victor and dinnered at the Astor Hotel restaurant.

Tuesday, the 28th, visited and dinnered with Mr. and Mrs. Slankard, former residents of Olney. Mrs. Slankard was formerly Anna Tripp, whose mother, 92 years of age, was visiting her. Have known this lady since 1860.

Wednesday, 29th, took ferry for Staten Island, which is quite an Island city, Ellis Island being on the west, where all the vessels are quarrantined. The Statue of Liberty is on the west near by, Governor's Island being on to the east. On our return visited old Plymouth Church, several hotels, banks and a concert at Aeolin Hall.

Thursday, 30th, spent most of the day with folks at home.

Friday, 31st, took strole by self, passing by an old church. Stopped to note a card upon the wall which read, "Organized in 1854, rebuilt in 1689 and again in 1794, German Reform." From thence, in and through one of the principal parks.

Saturday, November 1, went to Battery Aquarium. Saw nearly every variety of fish known to the world. Then we took in some of the highest buildings. On the corner of Broadway and Fifth Avenue stands perhaps the tallest inhabited building in the world-55 stories and 793 1/2 feet high; it is the Woolworth. The next perhaps is the Metropolitan Tower, observation balcony at the 50th story; height 600 feet, with total height of building 700 feet. The elevator fare is 50 cents. Another feature of this great building is the tower clock, said to be the largest four dial clock in the world, 346 feet above the sidewalk. Each dial is 26 feet inches, in diameter, the figures on the dial are four feet, minute marks 10 1/2 inches, the minute hand measures 12 feet and weighs l00 pounds, hour hand 13 feet 4 inches in length and weighs 700 pounds. The driving power of this wonderful clock is electric and automatic. Will only notice one or two more of these monster buildings. The Manhattan Life building 18 stories 350 feet high cost $3,000,000; American Surety building of thirty stories on Park Row; the Singer building, 613 feet high; the Hudson terminal building on Church street between Fulton and Cortland is the terminal of the Hudson river to Jersey City, the nucleus of all underground railway systems. The Manhattan is 22 stories high and has 4,000 offices with an estimated Population of 10,000, Just think three times the population of Newton in one building. Many of these buildings went down from 50 to l00 feet for a foundation. The above are just a few of the many very high buildings. Then had the pleasure of being escorted in and through a number of the large bank buildings, burglar proof vaults, with doors weighing from thirty to forty tons. To see them operate them is simply wonderful. Visited several of the largest hotels, viz: Astor, Bellmont, Buckingham, Grand Broadway, Hotel Astor, Knickerbocker, Vanderbilt, Waldorf and Astoria. Went through some of the most popular department stores: Wannamaker, et al.

Central Park is a beautiful place. The Egyptian Obelisk was brought to this country by W. H.Vanderbilt at a cost of $102,576. The shaft is 6914 feet high.
The river drive, up and down the Hudson River, is a lovely ride. By taking the upper deck the electric car you have a beautiful view of both city and river.
J.R. JOHNSON. (Continued Next Week.)

A Trip to New York.
(Continued From Last Week.)

Sunday, November 2, went to hear Dr. Cardman preach, and in the evening a number of visitors called, including Mrs. Whiting.

Monday, 3d, Mrs. Youngman and I took a yacht for a pleasure trip around the city; boarded the pleasure boat Halcyon at the. Battery; proceeded to the mouth of East River, thence up said river. The first place of note was Brooklyn bridge, the total length of which is 5,980 feet, towers 278 feet above high water mark, from floor to water 135 feet, width of bridge 80 feet; four railroad tracks, two roadways and two footways. The guide, or lecturer, kept us busy; couldn't note as fast as he explained places of note to us. The next place was where they dump the garbage and rubbish; said a party paid the city. $2,000 a week for the privilege of overhauling these places for offails. Men were baling and shipping from these places and making big money out of it. Next place was the Brooklyn Navy Yard, a number of vessels being in sight. Will tell you more about it later. Then Washington bridge 2,384 feet long, 80 feet wide, cost $2,700,000. Next 1 is High Bridge across Harlem river, 1,400 feet in length, 116 feet above the water near by is Croton water acqueduct. This is thirty miles long, with a flowing capacity of 90,000,000 gallons daily. The average depth of the tunnel is 170 feet it goes under Harlem river through solid rock 307 feet below the level of the river, then rises 400 feet in a perpendicular shaft. This water comes from the Catskill mountains. A second acqueduct leading from Croton Lake 30 1/2 mile in length has a flow of 290,000,000 gallons per twenty-four hours. This also passes under Harlem river of a like depth. Thus the great city is furnished with water. We are now through the Harlem river that connects the East with the Hudson, steaming down the Hudson on west side. We observe Washington Heights, old Ft. George, once the headquarters of Gen. Washington, now a home for old men and women; on the east side of the river Morris and University Heights. Next of note on the east is Grant's tomb on the bluff 180 above the water. Then come soldiers' and sai1ors' monument, home of Charles M. Schwab costing 2,000,000, thence down to the starting point-a trip of about three or four hours. These great acqueducts of course I did not see, but had the guide's word for them. This was rather an exciting and interesting trip. They were many other places of interest but I could not them.
Then we visited old Trinity Church where they were holding noonday prayer meeting; then to the post office, which is a little larger than ours and takes more people to run it. There are great large tubes where the mail is thrown in by the wagon loads. You would think they never could handle it, yet the little postal card finds its destination. Then we took in the custom house. This is a large affair, and interesting to see the busy humanity. Met Mr. Youngman, who piloted us through some of the large banks on Wall Street, giving us pointers of which he seemed familiar, pointing out to us a suspended brass ball the pinacle of high building, which drops several feet when the government clock at Washington strikes 12.

Tuesday, 4th. This was election day. All excitement-Tammany and anti-Tammany. The antis won, electing Mitchell mayor. Went out in the evening to see the returns flashed upon the bulletin boards of the Times building, but, my, didn't I soon get tired of the jam and push.
J. R. JOHNSON. (Continued Next Week.)

A Trip to New York.
(Continued From Last Week.)

Wednesday. November 5, we went over to New York, and after taking in some of the sights, called at Tiffany's jewelry store, the girls being acquainted with the proprietor. He said he wanted to show us something he didn't show every body, and then produced something between his thumb and finger which showed up brilliantly. I remarked I had no idea investing so largely. He smiled and said it was not for sale, which somewhat relieved me. It was a diamond nugget, the value of which he said was $100,000, and that settled any further question of purchase.

From there we went to the museum of arts, and here we saw wonderful sights. Skeletons of all conceivable animals, reptiles, etc. One skeleton, whether of sea or land, I don't know, the name seemed to be Brantarsus. It is 66 feet and 8 inches long, 15 feet, 2 inches high; weight of bones 570 pounds; original weight of animal supposed to be at least forty tons. One other skeleton, a portion of it found in Italy and the other in Arizona all fitted together to make a perfect animal. A block of wood, said to have come from California, measuring 16 1/2 feet from bark to bark. Two staIks of huge chrisanthurnurns, over two thousand blooms each, one red and the other white; brought a picture of them home with me.

On the 6th went to Garden City with Carla to visit Mollie. This place is about twenty miles east of New York on Long Island, a most beautiful place, where Messrs, Doubleday, Page & Co. have very large publishing and printing plant, known as the Country Life Press. Their statement is that their output is 15,000 to 30,000 and ten to twelve thousand books a day. I want to say here that my daughter, Mary F. Johnson, is the cashier of this concern. She receives all the money and pays it out, the payroll amounting to from thirteen to fourteen thousand dollars a week. She does this and keeps the books with one assistant, and there are about one thousand employees. I don't say this boastingly, but many of Mollie's friends here where she is known would like to know what she is doing. She has been with this firm for some ten years. Mr. Page is the present ambassador to England. From this place we took an automobile for Oyster Bay. Couldn't see Colonel Roosevelt's place as it was over the hill from the village. Not a very sightly town, but the bay shows up beautifully. Passed the Whitney Brothers' plantation, where they breed blooded horses, and this gave us a fifty mile drive.

On the 8th; by invitation Mr.Youngman and family, Mollie, Johnson, myself, and some others lunched with one Mr. Rhodes, a wealthy banker whom Mr.Youngman and Mollie had formerly worked for. After luncheon Mr. Rhodes presented us with tickets to a grand concert where there were two hundred musicians on the platform. The ushers escorted us to Mr. Rhodes' private box. The concert was a grand treat, for it was sublime.

Sunday 9th, went to Fifth avenue Presbyterian Church. The minister said he wanted to take a collection and if he didn't get $6,000 he would be very much embarrassed. I am quite sure he lacked some after we chipped in, but didn't stop to inquire. Got in a terrible rain storm going home, but while we were under the river we didn't mind it.

Some friends visited us in the evening.
J. R. .JOHNSON. (Continued Next Week.)

A Trip to New York.

November 10 visited Brooklyn Navy Yard. Boarded the North Dakota man-of-war, which was lying in the dock. This is a formidable war vessel, one of the largest of its class, and I was piloted in and through the vessel. It carries twelve 12-inch rifle guns that would bombard a city or a Man-of-war twelve to fifteen miles distant. It has many more smaller guns, and carries a crew of 909 men. We then went to New York, which is a larger warship. It was on dock for repairs and they would not admit us on board. This ship carries a larger armament. There were a number of torpedo destroyers lying off in the bay, but I could not get their names. The President's yatch, the Mayflower, was on dock for repairs, fitting up for the White House wedding. There are many attractions here for the sailors. I was very much interested in these monster war vessels, having had some experience with smaller ones, such as those used on the Mississippi river and the Gulf during the civil war.

Next day visited a number of churches, some of them open for noonday prayer meeting-the Episcopal on Broadway, the Presbyterian on 12th and 5th avenue, built in 1716; thence to Ascension, John street, E. at 44 John called the cradle of American Met hodism, the oldest M. E. church in America, founded by Phillip Embury in 1766; Trinity church where Washington worshipped, his pew being marked and kept intact. It is said there are more than a thousand churches in Greater New York. Near by the M. E. Church mentioned above is the Frances Tavern, corner Broad and Pearl streets, containing on the second floor the famous Long Room in which General Washington took affecting leave of his officers and aids December 4, 1788, before proceeding to congress to surrender his commission. The Tavern was built in 1700 and opened as a tavern by Samuel Frances, and the first floor is still used as a tavern. The second floor contains many old relics and is still kept up by the Sons the Revolution.

On the 12th visited Mr. and Mrs. Charles Whiting on invitation, it being Paul Youngman's fifteenth birthday. The next day, the 13th was my 83d birthday, so the visit was prolonged and we did not get home until a late hour in the morning. Needless to say we had a grand, good time. Mr. and Mrs. Whiting are grand entertainers. Mrs. Whiting was my assistant in the post office at Newton, and is a sister of O.S. Scott, president of the Peoples State Bank.
Having made some acquaintances in the city I received 22 birthday cards and congratulations. So much for going abroad.
J.R. Johnson

A Trip to New York.
(Continued from Last Week.)

Saturday, November 15, met daughter Mollie at Long Island, depot. Went to see the Orpheum Red Heads, said to be the greatest girl actresses in the world, eight red headed comedians, singers and dancers. The costumes of the eight performers on the program was given at $5000. This was very entertaining and no one could take exceptions to the morality of it.

Sunday, 16th, went to Lafayette Presbyterian Church sacramental service. Spent the 17th at Prospect Park to see the Chrisanthunum show, which was immense. There was a. gorgeous display of other flowers and tropical plants.

On the 18th heard ex-President Taft lecture on the Phillippine question. He said the United States would make a great mistake if they gave up the Islands.

On the 19th saw them place a chime of 10 bells in an ancient church, the bells said to cost $10,000, donated by a wealthy member. The church was built before the revolution.

Tuesday, the 20th, Mr. Youngman and I went to Garden City to visit daughter Mollie. Had a delightful visit with her and her employers and friends. This is a delightful place to visit. The grounds of this great plant are beautifully laid off, and are ornamented by fountains, lakes, shrubbery, and. flowers. A large sun-dial placed in the center walk of the garden. This is about twenty miles east of New York on the Long Island railroad. At this place A. T. Stewart gave the grounds for a church and hotel.

On the 21st went to Madison Square Garden to take in the horse show in which some eight or ten countries were represented. It was a fine display of noble animals.
The Brooklyn Eagle the next morning, had an article saying a Kentuckian was offered $35,000 for his horse, but refused saying $75,000 would be no temptation. This was a magnificent show of horse. The riding and driving was good, and I thought the equestrianship of the ladies was especially fine. Seventeen ladies rode for the prize but I did not learn who got it.

On the 23d went to St. Marks M. E. Church, and in the evening was visited by Mr. and Mrs. Carney and others.

Monday, 24th went to Pennsylvania depot to try to take in its greatness but gave it up. From there we went to the old St. Johns M. M. Church, where they were holding noonday prayer meeting, heard two or three prayers. This church was organized in 1768. Thence to the Stock Exchange, where they buy and sell all kinds of bonds and stocks. I could hear nothing but noise. Thence to the old Frances Tavern where General Washington took leave of his officers and men for Mount Vernon. The lower part is still used as a tavern while the upper rooms are full of relics, which are in remarkable state of preservation. J. R. JOHNSON.
(To Be Continued)

A Trip to New York.
(Continued from Last Week.)

Wednesday, 26th, went to market with daughter to make her purchases for Thanksgiving dinner. While she was doing so I was pricing a few things for amusement. Dressed turkey 38c per pound, eggs from 50, 61 and 75c per dozen, (these prices I suppose were according to age), cucumbers 15c each, choice apples 5c; with small or inferior ones 7 for 15c, mangoes three for 5c, potatoes 50c per peck. Common size pumpkin or squash 50c, butter 60c. This gives you an idea of the retail grocery prices.

The 27th, on invitation of Miss Mildred Furley, an English lady, Paul Youngman and I went to the ship landing to visit some of her friends and ship officers, but they were so busy landing passengers, discharging freight, etc., that we did not go aboard. Disappointed in this we went on board another large passenger ship. A guide took us the grand rounds through almost every department of the vessel. I never knew before how complete everything is arranged for the comfort and convenience of passengers. Everything spotlessly clean, dining room seating 450 at sitting. Needless to say this was very enjoyable. This vessel was capable of carrying 3,000 passengers. Returned home to prepare for Thanksgiving. A splendid dinner was prepared in honor of my 83d birthday. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Youngman, Paul Youngman, Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Whiting, Mr. and Mrs. Victor Johnson, Miss Mildred Furley, Miss Mollie Johnson and the writer. This was a very enjoyable occasion with loved ones and old acquaintances. The parties dispersed at a late hour, feeling that we had a good time together. The next day it rained most all day: Remained in doors

Saturday, 29th, Attended the Bijou theater to see the production of "The Last Days of Pompeii" in six acts, 700 years after the destruction of Pompeii.

Sunday, 30th, attended the Flat -Boosh German Reform Church and in the afternoon took a drive through Prospect Park. In the evening Dr. and Mrs. Kobler with their two little daughters were callers, also Mrs. Lillian Whiting.

Mon, December 1, visited New York Central depot, the post office, Wannamaker and Mace's department stores, passing by police headquarters, Tammany Hall, etc.

Tuesday, 2d, visited grandson and wife, Victor B. Johnson; distance eight or ten miles, mostly subway, underground electric railway.

Wednesday 3d, went to Burwick, Long Island Atlantic shore. Picked up a fine shell I saw wash ashore; brought it home with me. It being a little windy the waves and white caps were running high; tasted the water to see how salt the Atlantic Ocean was. In the afternoon Prof. King and wife were callers.

On the 4th was visited by Wm. Roan and wife: also W. F. Johnson, of Knoxville building and loan fame, who is a former Newton boy.

December 5th remained at home all day to rest.
One place I neglected to mention - the World W.C.T.U. meeting. Thirty-two, nations, or countries represented, the most women I ever saw congregated together, estimated to be from two to three thousand.
.J R. JOHNSON. (Concluded Next Week.)

A Trip to New York.

Saturday, December 6, 1913, rose early, packed grip and took an early start for Philadelphia, where we arrived at 10:45 :a. m. E H. Youngman having an engagement to meet some bankers telegraphed ahead to a friend of his to meet us at the depot. A Mr. Camons, whom I shall ever remember and feel grateful to for his kindness and patience in showing me through the city and places of historic note.

One of the first places dropped into was where the first American flag was made. The story runs this way, whether it is literally or not:
General Washington stepped in and said, Betty we have no flag." She says,"You hold the baby and I will make one". So it is that Betty Ross made the first American flag, and long may it wave. Then to the old capitol building. In an upper room is the table, desk and chairs where the Declaration of Independence was signed, kept in place as they were when used; many relics are stored in this large room. From here we went to see the old Liberty Bell, and put my hand in the crack. The bell was cracked while ringing for the funeral of Senator White, of Virginia. This room is also full of old revolutionary relics. Then passing by an old cemetery noticed the name of Benjamin Franklin on a slab; then where Lafayette made his home; then the orphanage college grounds and buildings. The grounds and a large amount of money was willed and appropriated for the building and maintainance of this school by Stephen Gerard. They told us of a rather singular provision in the will. Gerard was formerly a Catholic, then joined the Masons. His will provides the grounds on which the Principal building stands shall be walled in by a forty foot wall; that no Priest, Preacher or Jew shall ever be permitted to enter these grounds.
Being very wealthy the Catholics got the body and buried it, but afterward the Masons stole the corpse and buried it inside this sacred ground. To carry out the Provisions of the will they commenced the wall twenty feet below the surface. The grounds, buildings and endowment are valued at $65,000,000. There are thousands of orphans being educated there free of all expense. A further description of this place would make my article too long. Other places of interest, to me at least, I shall not mention in this article. At 6 o'clock p. m., left for Washington, D. C., arriving there at about 9 p. m. Put up at the New Ebbitt Hotel.

Sunday morning, 7th took a touring car for Arlington Heights and spent most of the day visiting the great National cemetery; also General Lee's old place and mansion. From this place you have a beautiful view of the capitol city. General Wood, staff, and many soldiers are quartered on these Heights.

Monday, 8th, went to the treasury building. This building covers two blocks and is mostly marble. Then to Memorial Hall. Suspended in the hollow square is the largest American flag ever made; next the Pan American building, doubtless the finest and costliest building of its size in the city. It has a fountain and tropical garden in. the center. From here to Washington monument; went up 500 feet to view the city; the monument is 553 feet high; thence to National museum, which is worth going a long way to see. My old friend, John P. Heap, was my pilot this day. Many Newton people will remember him. He is secretary of the Washington Humane Society. He is a nice fellow and I shall long remember him for piloting me around. Next we went to the Smithsonian Institute. Here are paintings of the most noted men of the world, both of present and by-gone days; thence went to the White House but didn't send in my card. Senator L. Y. Sherman called on us and took us home with him. Had a pleasant visit with him, his sister, little daughter and mother-in-law, Mrs. Spitzer.

Tuesday, 9th, Mr. Youngman and I took a train for Mt. Vernon, Gen. Washington's old home. Going through the old mansion noticed many old relics; furniture and bedding in Gen. Lafayette's room and bed where he slept while visiting; old fashioned fireplaces in all the rooms. This old house is in a good state of preservation, including the outbuildings, also the old loom and little wheels, with other necessary appendages. A little south at foot of a mound, is the tomb where the bodies of the memorable couple were laid. On the eastern slope of the mound is a park in which I counted as many ten deer. This old homestead on high elevation, commanding a beautiful view of the Potomac river, both up and down, On our return trip passed through the old town of Alexandria. In the afternoon, went to the capitol. Congress was in session. Sent in a card to M.D. Foster, our member, but he was not in. Senate was also in session discussing the currency question. Supreme court was also in session, Saw the lost President. Had got into the wrong end of the building for his private office. New York and Washington papers next morning had an article about the 'lost president.' Next went through the treasury building; was shown the vault said to contain 11,100,000 silver dollars, this money being held in reserve. A pair of scales here adjusted so that a persons name written in ink on a blank piece of paper would make a change in the balance.

From here we went to the pension department where there are 1,600 employees. Visited Mrs. John H. Larrabee and her two daughters, Anna and Louise, and spent a very pleasant evening with them:

Tuesday, 9th, took train for home at 6 p.m., and arrived on the 10th. This home is in one of the best towns in the country. Good bye. J. R. Johnson.

Return to the Main Index Page for Jasper County