SAINT MARIE TOWNSHIP
Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
JOSEPH PICQUET was born on March 17, 1816, in lower France, and came to America about the year 1835. landing in Philadelphia ; thence he went to Pittsburgh and from there by canal and over the inclined plane, to Steubenville, Ohio; thence he went to Lima, Ohio, visiting all the land offices along the line, inasmuch as he had been sent here by his father and other relatives for the purpose of locating lands for them. He went as far as Saint Louis, and next went to Chicago, then a place with but few houses. Finally he reached Jasper County, where he entered 1,200 acres, soon after which his father came over, and he, in turn, was followed by the rest of the family, with the exception of one sister, Louise, a lady of the Sacred Heart. Mr. Picquet has since made several visits to his native land, and was there married, in 1840, to Miss Kosa Muller, who died in November, 1844. She was the daughter of Charles and Rosine (Hartrick) Muller, natives of Alsace. In 1850 Mr. Picquet married Caroline, a sister of his deceased wife, and to this union have been born eight children, of whom only two survive, Louise and Marie.
JAMES PICQUET, physician and surgeon, was born in Hagueneau Province, France, in 1824, and at the age of nineteen came to this country in company with his mother, two brothers and three sisters, his father and brother Joseph having preceded him, and settled on 1,200 acres of land in this county. A year after his arrival he went to Saint Louis to study our language and customs; later, he studied medicine for two years under the eminent Dr. Battey, of Vincennes, Ind., after which he returned to his native land and studied for three years in the University of France. In 1854 he returned to this county and established himself in practice in Saint Marie, where he at once made his mark. At the breaking out of the war he was appointed surgeon in the government hospital at Vincennes, where he did efficient work until the cessation of hostilities. He next established himself at Evansville, Ind., where he was engaged in active practice until 1868, when he returned to Saint Marie, where he enjoys an enviable reputation and an extensive patronage. In 1854, in France, he married Miss Victoria, a daughter of Joseph and Louise (Blum) Shefferstine, and to this union have been born six children, Mary, Pauline, Annie, Cecile. Edward and Raymond.
JOSEPH BOOS was born in Alsace, Germany, in 1839, and is the second son of J. and Elizabeth Boos, both natives of Alsace. When our subject was a few months old, he came with his parents to Saint Marie, and was here reared and educated. His father bought the present Boos estate. It contained at one time 3,600 acres. Mr. Boos has always lived on the farm. Boos Station is situated on the Boos estate. For the last three years Mr. Boos has been dealing in grain and merchandise, and has a fine brick store, the best in the township. He does the sole grain trade in this part of the township, and is the only merchant. He was made post-master about three years ago. He has rented all his land (1,200 acres, mostly cultivated and improved), and devotes his attention to his present business. In 1868, he married Magdalene Litzelman, a native of Saint Marie. His present wife (formerly Magdalene Horn) is a native of Effingham County, Ill. He has four children, Francis, Joseph, Aloyous Odilo and Estella. Mr. Boos is a Democrat, and a prominent citizen.
THOMAS CAHILL was born in 1833, in Ohio, and is the third son of J. R. and Elizabeth (Creston) Cahill, natives of Ohio and Canada respectively. Thomas Cahill was reared and educated in his native State. After attaining his majority, he farmed until thirty five years of age. He then came to Fox Township (then part of Saint Marie) and continued farming until 1878, when he began the dry goods and grocery trade in West Liberty. At present he is engaged in the sale of his stock to J. R. Gilman. He has been postmaster and express and freight agent ever since the creation of West Liberty. He has been collecting and pettifogging for over twenty years. He is a strong Republican. Mr. Cahill was married in 1854 to Rachel A. Moore, a native of Ohio; that lady died in 1876. His present wife (who was the widow of Mr. Stewart), is a native of Indiana. He has seven children living, viz.: Fernando, Forrest, Squire D., John L., Ira, Ernest and Rolley. Mr. Cahill is one of our most influential citizens.
JAMES F. COMPTON was born in Simpson County, Ky., in 1842, and is the fifth son of William S. and Nancy M. (Mayfield) Compton, natives of Kentucky and North Carolina respectively. He was reared and educated in his native county. He enlisted in the Sixth Kentucky Volunteers (Confederate Infantry), and served at Franklin, Nashville, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Montgomery, Knoxville (Tenn.), Stone River, Chattanooga and Dallas. At that place he was wounded and fell into Federal hands, went into hospital, and as soon as he was able made his way back to Montgomery and Mobile, into the Confederate lines, and was made a cavalry soldier. They moved into North and South Carolina, thence back to Washington, Ga., and at the close of the war he returned home. He engaged in the saw-mill business until he came to his present farm, which contains 14?? acres of well improved land. In 1866, he married Susan W. Hill, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children, viz.: Alonzo, Clarence, Mary, Virgil, James, Josie and Nora. Mr. Compton is a member of the Universalist Church. He has been Assessor, and Supervisor twice, and is now Collector for the township. Politically, he is a liberal Democrat, and is one of our prominent citizens.
THOMAS GIBSON is a native of Maryland, was born in 1821, and is the son of John and Ann (French) Gibson, natives of the same State. The family moved to Ohio about 1832, and there Thomas was reared to farming. In 1854, our subject came to Jasper County and bought his present farm of 180 acres, all well cultivated. He married, in 1845, Emily E. Wilson, a native of Kentucky, who has borne him three children, Robert W., Mary E. (Tritt) and John W. In politics, Mr. Gibson was for a time a Whig, then a Free-Soil Abolitionist, and is now a Republican. He was a member of the County Board of Supervisors for a number of years, and is a most influential citizen. In religion he is a Methodist.
DR. C. HARRIS was born in Nelson County, Ky., in 1821, and is the fourth son of Edward and Sarah (Wells) Harris, both natives of Kentucky. When ten years old our subject moved to Louisville,, where he remained until about twenty five. He was educated at the Louisville University, and when nineteen attended lectures. At twenty two, he commenced to practice. He soon went to Washington County, Ind. He was a partner in a general store (including drugs) in Hardin County, Ky. He then came to Clay County, Ill.; was afterward in Shepherdsville, Ky.; also in Saluda, Ind., where he remained about five years. He next came to Mattoon, Ill.; then to Richland County, and in 18?4 he came to what is now Boos, and bought his present farm, containing 258 acres, mostly cultivated and improved. He has practiced ever since his arrival, and has been very successful. He married, in 1853, Nancy Rickerdson, a native of Kentucky; that lady died in 1858. His present wife (formerly Elena Consley) is a native of Indiana. The Doctor has six children, viz.: Martha F. (Richardson), Laura Loy, Colmore, Oliver P., IdaB., and Anna J. The Doctor is a member of the Universalist Church, also of the I. O. O. F. He was the first Supervisor of the township, also School Treasurer for ten years. He is a Democrat, and one of our most influential citizens.
PAUL HARTRICH was born in Saint Marie Township (now Fox) in 1854, and is the third son of Theodore and Francesca Hartrich, both natives of France. Our subject was reared and educated in Saint Marie Township until 1871, when his father died. The three brothers farmed the old homestead until the fall of 1882. The homestead contained about 800 acres. In 1882, it was divided; Mr. Hartrich sold his part to his brother, and now has charge of the Boos farm. In 1879, he married Monica Faller, a native of Evansville, Ind. They have one child, Francis N. Mr. Hartrich is a member of the Catholic Knights of America, also of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat; was Township Collector for one term, and is a respected citizen.
Eugene HARTRICH was born in Fox Township in 1849, and is the second son of Theodore and Francesca Hartrich. He was reared and educated in this township until he attained his majority. After his father's death, he, with his brothers, farmed the homestead until 1882, when he bought his brothers out. He now owns 230 acres of land, mostly cultivated and improved, and has an interest in some undivided homestead land. In 1880, he married Pauline Picquet, a daughter of Dr. Picquet, of Saint Marie. Mr. Hartrich is a member of the Catholic Knights. He served the unexpired term, as Sheriff, of John Selby; has also been Township Collector. He is a Democrat, and an esteemed citizen.
J. Q. HITCH, a member of the firm of Hitch & Dickerson, merchants and grain dealers, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1856, and is the eldest son of Nelson A. and Lottie Hitch; both natives of Ohio. Mr. Hitch was reared and educated in Ohio, and when twenty years old came with the family to Richland County, and engaged in farming and stock raising, continuing four years. The corn failure of 1881, led him to ship and sell corn at West Liberty, through the season. He sold forty car loads; a remarkable sale for so small a place. He then began the grocery business at West Liberty, and continued alone until 1882, when he was joined by Mr. Dickerson, who added grain dealing and agricultural implements. They were the first firm of the kind, and sold nineteen machines of the Dorsey manufacture, this year. They are the only firm in the place who make a specialty of groceries and provisions. They carry about $1,500 worth of groceries, and have a large and increasing trade. They shipped last year 125 cars of grain
Mr. Hitch is a member of the A. O. U. W. He votes the Republican ticket at the National elections, but in other elections is independent. He is an influential citizen. Wilmer L. Dickerson, of the firm of Hitch & Dickerson, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., in 1856, and is the eldest son of John and Nancy T. (Swan) Dickerson, both natives ot Indiana. The parents came to Fox Township, when it was in its primitive state, and our subject grew up on the farm until sixteen years old, when he entered the Olney High School. He spent two years there, preparing himself for teaching; in which he has been very successful. With the exception of one winter spent in Arkansas, Missouri, Indian Territory and Texas, he has taught school every winter since, farming in the summer. He does not expect to teach in the future. Shortly before his father's death, in 1881, he bought his present farm of 200 acres, mostly cultivated and improved. In the fall of 1881, he married and moved on the farm. In 1882, he became a partner in the firm of Hitch & Dickerson. He married Emma Hitch, a native of Clermont County, Ohio. Mr. Dickerson is a member of the A. O. U. W..
He is a Republican, and has been Township Clerk. He is one of the most enterprising of our citizens. John Dickerson (deceased), was born in Jefferson County, Ind., in 1827, and was the second son of Wilmer and Margaret (Snodgrass) J Dickerson; natives (probably) of New Jersey and Kentucky. John Dickerson was reared and educated in his native county, and lived upon the farm until eighteen years old, when he began the blacksmiths' trade at Madison, Ind. After serving a three years' apprenticeship, he worked at his trade in the county until 1858, then came to the farm now owned by his widow. He continued his trade, in conjunction with farming, until his death in 1881; since which event, his second son, Thomas, has managed the farm. Mr. Dickerson was married in 1851, to Nancy Swan, a native of Indiana, by which union they had six children: Wilmer, Thomas, Margaret (Yong), Manie, Grace and Henry. Mr. Dickerson was a member of the A., F. and A. M., and a Republican. He was a respected citizen.
J. W. HUGHES was born in Dubois County, Ind., in 1855, and is the youngest son of John H. and Elizabeth (Gatmore) Hughes, both natives of Ohio. Our subject was reared and educated in his native county. When eighteen years old (having learned the carpenters' trade), he came to Crawford County, Ill., and began business for himself. After about five years, he came to West Liberty, and has since been engaged as a carpenter and building contractor. He employs four or five men at a time, and has been very successful. In 1876, he married Nancy J. Gilman, a native of Virginia. They have two children, Irena and Hugh. Mr. Hughes is at present Constable for the township. He is a Republican, and an enterprising citizen.
REV. J. L. JESSUP was born in North Carolina, in 1821, and is the eldest son of J. and Rachel (Jackson) Jessup, both natives of North Carolina. When our subject was three years old, he removed with his parents to Hendricks County, Ind., and was reared and educated in that county. On attaining his majority he commenced farming for himself, and continued until 1881. He then came to his present farm, containing 200 acres, mostly cultivate:! and improved. In 1845, he was married to Molinda Kellum, a native of Indiana. Five children blessed this union, Amanda Chawner, Oswald, W. Kellum, Roscoe C. and Cora C. Rev. Mr. Jessup was Township Trustee in Indiana for seven years, and is at present Supervisor of Fox Township. He has been a minister of the Friends' Church for the last twenty years. Politically he is a Republican, and is a respected citizen.
JOSEPH KAUFMANN was born in Saint Marie Township, in 1844, and is the eldest living son of Cyriac and Magdalene (Ebb) Kaufmann, both natives of France. He was reared and educated in Fox Township, up to twenty three years of age, and then bought his present farm, containing 220 acres, nearly all cultivated and improved. In 1868, he married Catherine Kessler (a native of Jasper County), who died in 1872. His present wife, Mary La Motte, is a native of Ohio. Mr. Kaufmann is a member of the Catholic Knights, and is school treasurer of this township. In National and State affairs, he is Democratic, but in other elections, he votes for the best man. Mr. Kaufmann is a prominent citizen.
ANTHONY KAUFMANN was born in Saint Marie (now Fox) Township, in 1847, and is the second son of Cyriac and Magdalene (Ebb) Kaufmann; both natives of Alsace. Our subject was reared and educated in Fox Township. When about twenty six years old, he bought his present farm, which contains 250 acres, improved, and in good cultivation. In 1873, he married Mary Kessler, a native of Jasper County. They have five children, Felix, Albert, Paul, James and Glotildie. Mr. Kaufmann is a member of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat, and one of our influential citizens.
A. LITZELMANN was born in Alsace, in 1833, and is the youngest son of Joseph and Frances Litzelmann, both natives of Alsace. He was reared and educated in Saint Marie Township. His father died when our subject was sixteen years old; he then lived with his step-mother until about twenty four years old. He inherited eighty acres of the old homestead, and has since lived upon the place; and has increased it to about 810 acres, most of which is well cultivated and improved. In 1858, he married Josephine Boos, a native of this township. That lady died in 1879. His present wife (formerly Christina Horn) is a native of Illinois. He has six children, Elizabeth, Charles. Mary, Helena, Aloyous, and Aggie. Mr. Litzelmann was Supervisor of Fox Township for two years. He is a member of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat, and one of our oldest citizens.
ALBERT M. PHILLIPS was born in Richland County, in 1853, and is the eldest son of Austin R. and Mary C. (West) Phillips, natives of Illinois and Tennessee respectively. Albert M. Phillips was reared and educated in his native county. When twenty years old he began farming for himself, and continued until 1880. He then came to West Liberty and soon began as salesman for Johnson & Son, and Hitch & Dickerson. In the spring of 1883 he began the insurance business, as agent for the Burlington Insurance Co., and has met with good success. In 1873 he married Jane Waggy, a native of Ohio. They have three children, Lowell, La Roy and Owen. Mr. Phillips is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican and an enterprising citizen.
WILLIAM SHRYOCK (senior partner of the firm of William Shryock & Son, merchants at West Liberty) was born in Kentucky, in 1827, and is the eldest son of John and Sarah Shryock. William was reared and educated near Shelbyville, Ind. When about twenty seven years old he came to Richland and Jasper counties, Ill., and bought his present farm, containing 255 acres, nearly all cultivated, "in 1861 he enlisted in the Sixty Third Illinois Volunteers. He went to Cairo, Jackson (Tenn.), Holly Springs, Oxford, Vicksburg, Memphis; then toward Chattanooga, where no was taken sick and went to Nashville hospital, thence to Cincinnati, Washington, Alexandria and Point Lookout, Md. There he was discharged and returned home. He then dealt chiefly in stock up to 1881, when he began his present general merchandise business. The firm carry a heavy stock and have a flourishing trade. In 1851 Mr. William Shryock married Elizabeth A. Wood, a native of Indiana. They have five children, John J., William H., Martha, Carrie B. and Charles E. Mr. Shryock is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, is a Republican and a prominent citizen.
JOHN J. SHRYOCK, the junior partner, was born in Richland County, Ill., in 1858, and is the eldest son of William Shryock. He was reared and educated in his native county, and took a course of book-keeping at Olney. He farmed exclusively until the fall of 1882, and then entered the mercantile business as his father's partner. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, a Republican and a respected citizen.
J. SHRYOCK was born in Shelby County, Ind., in 1832, and is the second son of John and Sarah Shryock. Mr. Shryock was reared and educated in Shelby County, Ind., until seventeen years old and was afterward engaged in farming and stock raising until 1854. He then came to his present farm of 449 acres, in Saint Marie Township, and Richland County. He farmed and dealt in stock up to 1880 (except a few months when he dealt in grain at Olney); then commenced the grain trade in West Liberty." He has shipped and dealt in stock, and almost controlled the trade here for the last fifteen years. In 1849 he married Martha E. Morris, a native of Shelby County, Ind. They have seven children, John W., Valentine, Franklin, Arminta Stewart, Halleck, Grant and Colfax. Mr. Shryock is a member of the Baptist Church. He was a Whig and Know Nothing, and is now a Republican. He is the founder of West Liberty and one of its most influential citizens.
WILLIAM P. SPRAY was born in Hendricks County, Ind., in the year 1853, and is the only son of Wilson and Sarah (Furnas) Spray, natives of Ohio and Indiana respectively. Our subject was educated chiefly at Earlham College, Richmond, Ind., and was reared in his native county. He engaged in stock-dealing in Hendricks County until 1879, then was a partner in a general store and in grain dealing at Bridgeport, Ind. After two years he began the stock business in this township, also in Hendricks County, Ind., and now has the principal part of his business here. The firm is Wilson, Spray & Son. They own 350 acres in this township. Mr. Spray was married, in 1875, to Ella Jessup, a native of Hendricks County, Ind. That lady died in 1881. They had one child, also deceased. Mr. Spray is a member of the Friends' Church. He is a Republican, and one of our enterprising citizens.
JAMES H. TANGUARY, M. D., was born in Wabash County, III., in 1856, and is the third son of James W. and Elizabeth (Buchanan) Tanguary, both natives of Illinois. His father is a large farmer and prominent citizen of Wabash County. The Doctor was reared and educated in his native county until seventeen years old. He then went to the National Normal School, at Lebanon, Ohio, also the Normal School of Carbondale, Ill. During this time he taught some time, and altogether taught about thirty months. He then began the study of medicine at Mount Carmel, Ill. He took a course of lectures at the Chicago Medical College, and graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at that place. Dr. Tanguary is the only physician practicing in West Liberty and has good prospects of success. He was married, in 1880, to Miss M. J. Kigg a native of Wabash County, Ill. Mrs. Tanguary was educated at Lebanon, Ohio. The Doctor is a Democrat and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a young man of refinement and ability, and an earnest student of his profession.
J. N. THRAPP was born in Wayne County, Ohio, and is the third son of Thomas and Mary (Kernes) Thrapp, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. Our subject was educated at Canaan Center College, Ohio. He came with the family to Olney, where his father built the first grist-mill in Richland County. In 1861 he enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Regiment. He re-enlisted in the Sixty Third Illinois Regiment and went to Cairo, Jackson (Tenn.), Lagrange, Oxford (Miss), Memphis, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta, in Sherman's "March to the Sea," then on the north march to Washington, and took part in the grand review. He was promoted to Orderly Sergeant. After his discharge he returned to Olney; next traveled in Iowa and Nebraska about six months, then went into the grocery and provision trade at Olney, continuing until 1877. He then bought his present farm of 160 acres, which is well cultivated and improved. He married, in 1867, Anna Combs, a native of Illinois. They have three children, Alonzo Mc, Nellie A. and Pearly M. Mr. Thrapp is a Republican, and a prominent citizen. He is one of the few men who have kept a diary regularly for over twenty years, in which he keeps an account of weather, temperature, etc., as well as personal facts.
Dr. S. R. YOUNGMAN was born in Mason County, Ky., in the year 1813, and is the second son of Jesse and Amy (Dicks) Youngman, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Dr. Youngman was reared and partly educated in his native county; when he was seventeen years old the family removed to Putnam County, Ind., where the Doctor finished his education, and remained at home until he attained his majority. After studying medicine for six years (during which time he supported himself), he began practicing his profession at Cloverdale, Ind., where he practiced four years. The following four years he practiced at Greencastle, Ind., then moved to New Lebanon, Ind., where he remained between four and six years. He next established himself in the West Liberty vicinity. In 1881 he settled in the township, and wishing to retire from active practice he turned the practice over to Dr. Tanguary and began the drug business. He carries a line of drugs, paints, oils, tobaccos, etc. Dr. Youngman was married, in 1834, to Lorana B. Mark, a native of Fleming County, Ky. He has ten children, Lydia Stephens, George, Hattie Bicknell, James, Nancy E. Tipitt, Mary Adams, Flora Garrett, Edward, Emma Sandifur (deceased) and Elmer. Dr. Youngman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also of the A. F. & A. M., and has been a member of temperance societies. He was Census Officer for Fox Township, in 1880. He is a Republican, and an influential citizen.
PASSES THE 91ST MILESTONE
Dr. S. R. Youngman Celebrates His Birthday.
Children, Friends and Distant Relatives Present
West Liberty, Ill., August 24- Dr. S. R. Youngman celebrated his ninety first birthday in this village today.
Dr. Youngman was born in Mason county, Ky., on August 24, 1813, and resided there until 1831, when he removed to Greencastle, Ind., and established himself as a practicing physician, later locating at New Lebanon, Ind. He was a member of two county boards of trustees of Putnam County, which provided for building the second courthouse at Greencastle, and attended the ceremonies at the dedication of the new structure there last fall, being the only surviving trustee who voted to build the earlier edifice.
In June 1861, Dr. Youngman moved into what is now Fox township, Jasper county, continuing to practice his profession. In 1880 he was the Federal census enumerator for Fox township. Some years ago he located at West Liberty, engaging in the drug business.
His ninety first birthday was made the occasion of a pleasant gathering. The children present were: Mrs. U. G. Stevens and Mrs. Milton Adams of West Liberty; Mrs. J. C. Barrick, Sullivan, Ind.; Geo. C. Youngman, New Lebanon, Ind; Elmer H. Youngman, New York City; Mrs. Van E. Tippit, Dundas. Also seven grandchildren, eight great-grand children besides other more distant relatives.
Friends to the number of 75 or 100 called to offer their congratulations and good wishes.
Notwithstanding his advanced age Dr. Youngman enjoys excellent health and still maintains the use of all his faculties. In fine weather he puts in a good day's work in his garden, and takes a keen interest in the world's affairs. He has been for many years a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Dr. Youngman's death occurred one week after this party. Read his death notice here] The Newton Press, August 26, 1904, p. 4, Col. 2, Contributed by Phillip Youngman [Dr. Stacy Reeves Youngman was his great-grandfather]
©K. Torp and Genealogy Trails